Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Page not found

Comments

• Options
    Is this woman speaking at Trumps press conference real

I am becoming very frightened for America.

The difference between Boris and his two advisers is stark
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dr_spyn said:

Perhaps he has mellowed over time.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/10038528258

What? Under 30% of the British Pharmacopoeia is plant based, and two of the most popular homeopathic potions are arsenic and sulphur.

Genuine hypothesis: Labour party has just made redundant the bod whose job until recently was to edit The Leader's tweets for utter batshittery, and spelling.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

European countries that are closing their borders to at least a substantial minority of the EU: Denmark, Malta, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland

List is growing rapidly.

Brexit won't get finished because there will be no EU left to exit....

How the hell do the EU agree a Budget in this epic mess?
    Does it (existentially) matter for the EU if they don't agree a budget?
    If there's no goodies to dish out, how many are still interested in it?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,462
    IanB2 said:

The Dow doesn’t know which way to run

I can't rationalise why futures are up 6% on this.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

What? Under 30% of the British Pharmacopoeia is plant based, and two of the most popular homeopathic potions are arsenic and sulphur.

Genuine hypothesis: Labour party has just made redundant the bod whose job until recently was to edit The Leader's tweets for utter batshittery, and spelling.
    That's a ten year old tweet.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited March 2020
    I've seen secondary schools kids give more professional presentations than this.

Brian, Brian, where ever you are, can you come up...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,483
    kyf_100 said:

How does PB feel about making up with enemies old and past, including family members?

There are people I haven't spoken to in years and swore I would never speak to again who are in their sixties and seventies now.

On the one hand, it may be time to bury the hatchet. On the other hand, a bastard is still a bastard regardless of whether or not their number is up.

Might be worth giving them a chance to not be a bastard any more. Then you won't have regrets if their number is up.
  • Options
    Despite all the initial BS, it is clear US are going to go with widespread public testing.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    It’s a selling opportunity for big pharma and Walmart
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,124

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

European countries that are closing their borders to at least a substantial minority of the EU: Denmark, Malta, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland

List is growing rapidly.

Brexit won't get finished because there will be no EU left to exit....

How the hell do the EU agree a Budget in this epic mess?
    Does it (existentially) matter for the EU if they don't agree a budget?
    If there's no goodies to dish out, how many are still interested in it?
    Yeah, but the money will keep rolling. They'll keep spending it whether it's been agreed or not, because that's the path of least resistance.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,473
    IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

It’s from 2010.

Which does however mean Labour members and Labour voters knew he was this batshit crazy when they voted for him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My wife is a teacher. She has really struggled with motivating herself to do all the pathetic garbage at school which even at the best of times is pathetic garbage. We are hoping the education establishment sees sense

Blimey. We are having multiple religious experiences right now. That’s asking for a miracle on a par with the raising of Lazarus.
    If you've seen Ofsted's statement to Schoolsweek this afternoon, I wouldn't be optimistic. It's shameful stuff.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,462

I've seen secondary schools kids give more professional presentations than this.

Give him credit, he brought in the Walmart CEO to talk about car parks. This just looks like an ad for american business Walmart, Walgreens, Google...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,526

IanB2 said:

The Dow doesn’t know which way to run

I can't rationalise why futures are up 6% on this.
    Something is better than nothing, I guess. Surely another selling opportunity
  • Options
    If Trump does has it, he is busy spreading to all these US business leaders.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mad Nad's Mum is only a bit older than me. And my family are a damn sight more sympatheic and concerned than she appears to be.
    Her Mum lives with her.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foss said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

That's a ten year old tweet.
    Still good evidence of the existence of the hypothetical bod, just predates not postdates him.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    White House press conference: weird, very weird.
  • Options
    I am just absolutely gobsmacked by this.
  • Options
    Trump is shaking the hands of every fecker at this press conference 😷👀
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,420
    edited March 2020
    nichomar said:

It’s a selling opportunity for big pharma and Walmart

Shaking my head in utter despair

Not one of the speakers has a clue

Trump talking of energy indpendence and now Pence says this should be an inspiration to everyone

It is like 'Chemical Ali' has suddenly appeared again
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    nichomar said:

Hotels in Madrid to be converted to hospitals!

This place used to be a hospital...

https://www.oetkercollection.com/hotels/the-lanesborough/
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Just back from my trip to Tesco Royston tonight, and the rate of hoarding is definitely accelerating. Here's a list of stock levels that I observed (non-exhaustive, but I did go around quite a lot of the store looking for stuff, some of which I couldn't find...)

Bog rolls: 0%
    Kitchen paper: 20%
    Bin bags: 20%
    Washing up liquid: 1%
    Tissues: 0%
    Tinned tomatoes: 1%
    Tinned spaghetti: 5%
    Baked beans: 1%
    Tinned tuna: 0%
    Other tins (meat, soup, fruit): 30%
    Flour: 0%
    Sunflower oil: 0%
    Olive oil: 10%
    Fruit squash: 5%
    Beer: 20%

It wasn't exactly the end of days - levels of fresh and frozen food looked reasonable, given that this was after the post-work cavalry charge - but if this goes on for any length of time then people are going to struggle to get hold of some basic supplies. Notably, I managed to fill in the gaps in my shop by going to the little Morrisons in town, but there was absolutely no bog paper there either. Anybody in this area who's run out of it is going to be wiping their arse with the Daily Mail for the time being.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Oil....Good time to fill it up....fill it up....
  • Options

Trump is shaking the hands of every fecker at this press conference 😷👀

Yes, and they’re all stood cheek by jowell.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

My wife is a teacher. She has really struggled with motivating herself to do all the pathetic garbage at school which even at the best of times is pathetic garbage. We are hoping the education establishment sees sense

Blimey. We are having multiple religious experiences right now. That’s asking for a miracle on a par with the raising of Lazarus.
    If you've seen Ofsted's statement to Schoolsweek this afternoon, I wouldn't be optimistic. It's shameful stuff.
    I haven’t, but I find it all too easy to imagine.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,124

nichomar said:

I used to own a flat in the old Royal Orthopedic Hospital. (It had been converted.)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I am just absolutely gobsmacked by this.

It is fucking nuts.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I think we can safely say China is now the global super power.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    US buying massive strategic oil reserves, that’ll annoy Putin even more, and probably lead to the Gulf states meeting and exceeding demand.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Jesus Christ, Trump contradicts himself within the same sentence.

Warren G Harding famously paused in a speech, to say, ‘I didn’t write this speech and I don’t agree with what I just said.’

He won in a landslide...
  • Options

nichomar said:

Hyde park corner used to work in grosvenor place about 50 yards away
  • Options
    This is like they have signed a new trade deal.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,477

nichomar said:

Barcelona has a nice former-ish hospital.
  • Options
    Thanks to all those who shared music. I'm not nimble enough to thank you all by name, but this is much appreciated, as is the warm welcome.

I'm going to avoid the Trump press conference because it will just upset me - in fact, I am thinking of making After Supper a non-browsing time, to give my mind less to worry about in the night. Is anyone else thinking of rationing their covid news intake?

--AS
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,172
    eadric said:

welshowl said:

It's like my daughter's Year 4 primary school drama production, where everyone must be allowed to say something fairly pointless or embarrassing, and a slightly simple 8 year old has the chance of compering it, because they felt sorry for him.

Oh God. Poor America. It is North Korea with even more missiles.
    And now Pence is saying people should look on with inspiration... and look forward to an incredible website...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178
    edited March 2020

Unfortunately Brian can't
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145

Just back from my trip to Tesco Royston tonight, and the rate of hoarding is definitely accelerating. Here's a list of stock levels that I observed (non-exhaustive, but I did go around quite a lot of the store looking for stuff, some of which I couldn't find...)

It wasn't exactly the end of days - levels of fresh and frozen food looked reasonable, given that this was after the post-work cavalry charge - but if this goes on for any length of time then people are going to struggle to get hold of some basic supplies. Notably, I managed to fill in the gaps in my shop by going to the little Morrisons in town, but there was absolutely no bog paper there either. Anybody in this area who's run out of it is going to be wiping their arse with the Daily Mail for the time being.

If desperate for bog roll then try Lidl and B&Q.
  • Options
    Despite it being extremely scary just how shit this American response is, it does seem like they are at least promising the South Korea approach of drive up tests.

We have binned that idea.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

"You want me to say WHAT???"
    'When you compare what we've done to the rest of the world its pretty incredible'
    Anywhere else and he would be laughed out of court for that remark. Are Trump's supporters really that thick? (sorry so "low-information" )
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Thanks to all those who shared music. I'm not nimble enough to thank you all by name, but this is much appreciated, as is the warm welcome.

I'm going to avoid the Trump press conference because it will just upset me - in fact, I am thinking of making After Supper a non-browsing time, to give my mind less to worry about in the night. Is anyone else thinking of rationing their covid news intake?

--AS

Yes I try not to look at news or anything coronavirus related after this sort of ti

[p.s. It's true, I don't]
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,364
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

welshowl said:

It's like my daughter's Year 4 primary school drama production, where everyone must be allowed to say something fairly pointless or embarrassing, and a slightly simple 8 year old has the chance of compering it, because they felt sorry for him.

Oh God. Poor America. It is North Korea with even more missiles.
    And now Pence is saying people should look on with inspiration... and look forward to an incredible website...
    Hallelujah!

...and Amen.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

There were times during George W.'s Presidency when my American friends were embarrassed for the US.

This is so, so much worse than George W.

This is America's shame, made starkly visible to the whole world.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,964

kyf_100 said:

How does PB feel about making up with enemies old and past, including family members?

There are people I haven't spoken to in years and swore I would never speak to again who are in their sixties and seventies now.

On the one hand, it may be time to bury the hatchet. On the other hand, a bastard is still a bastard regardless of whether or not their number is up.

Might be worth giving them a chance to not be a bastard any more. Then you won't have regrets if their number is up.
    Yes, I think this is the right response. Thank you to all who replied, Big G + Nick.

• Options
    Why do none of them look embarrassed?
  • Options
    That was very thorough by Mike Pence, I wonder if he found any polyps in there?
  • Options
    My son and his partner have had colds this week and we have agreed they will keep away for 14 days and also our grandchildren. Will use whats app and phones
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,047
    edited March 2020
    kyf_100 said:

I wouldn't feel like that about anyone unless they'd been convicted of a serious crime. Having different political opinions isn't a reason to think of someone as a bastard IMO.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,041

eadric said:

Also, in the biggest news of the day, PB seems to work on Edge but not on Chrome.

You use multiple browsers too?
    As I said yesterday it’s a change implement on chrome but not implemented elsewhere just yet
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

This is like they have signed a new trade deal.

I wondered before this (but didn't have the sense to post it, and therefore appear in any way prescient) that people who've had success at one thing, then come a bit unstuck in another, have a tendency to revert to their previous place of strength in the hope that will get them through it - and so we might well see Trump try to switch into The Apprentice mode. I think that's part of what we just saw.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Is it possible that there are some sane republicans in congress who might suddenly start seeing the light at some point?
  • Options
    What an opening to this article.

It's hard to know what to do for the best, isn't it?

Should we panic, prat about, or pray? Supermarket customers have decided to panic-just-to-be-on-the-safe-side, the Prime Minister appears to have decided pratting about will cost less money, and the Archbishop of Canterbury has told priests to stop touching people. But the church has been saying that for years, and it's not worked so far.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/survive-coronavirus-instinct-common-sense-21687435
  • Options

There were times during George W.'s Presidency when my American friends were embarrassed for the US.

This is so, so much worse than George W.

This is America's shame, made starkly visible to the whole world.

I could not agree more. This is shameful
  • Options
    nichomar said:

The aroma of bullshit on that stage must be almost overpowering.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,872

Foss said:

eadric said:
    Has this actually been confirmed? 'DiscloseTV' appear to be the only people reporting it.
    Germany seems to be working from a very similar model to us which is slightly reassuring.
    Not exactly flocking in...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

If desperate for bog roll then try Lidl and B&Q.
    We don't have those, but I looked when I was in the new retail development out the back of work after I finished at lunchtime (in order to pick up a couple of things I like that I can only get from M&S and Aldi) and the dried pasta and bog roll locusts had stripped them bare as well.

Mercifully the Rook household is sufficiently well supplied that we shouldn't need to resort to newsprint unless this goes on for several more weeks.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Oh god, he has just starting saying well in the future could get worse, yes could definitely get worse.

This is absolutely insane.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    eek said:

eadric said:

Also, in the biggest news of the day, PB seems to work on Edge but not on Chrome.

As I said yesterday it’s a change implement on chrome but not implemented elsewhere just yet
    I'm on the latest Chrome for Mac OS and PB's working fine for me.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I'm using Chrome.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

They have no shame
  • Options
    I am seriously never ever going to forget this press conference. It is that insane.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    All Labour Party meetings and campaign activities have been suspended.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    Alistair said:

Dems steaming down faster than the price of Bitcoin. Act fast to get them @1.93

Sounds like my cashing out of my bets on democratic nominee and splitting the pleasingly large profits between betting on dems and laying trump wasnt a bad idea... if only I hadn't repeatedly lost money betting against starmer because momentum would guarantee RLB would win...
  • Options

My son and his partner have had colds this week and we have agreed they will keep away for 14 days and also our grandchildren. Will use whats app and phones

Ah, the glories of WhatsApp in this situation. Ideal for medical isolation.

It should be called the WhatsApp Doc.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601
    Charles said:

Mad Nad's Mum is only a bit older than me. And my family are a damn sight more sympatheic and concerned than she appears to be.
    Her Mum lives with her.
    And you'd have to be a bit of a dick to read her tweet as unsympathetic or unconcerned.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Is it possible that there are some sane republicans in congress who might suddenly start seeing the light at some point?
    It is our last hope
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Dow`s going through the roof.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    matt said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I find it oddly comforting that you read the Daily Star.

Do they still do a tit count?

:smile: - I didn't read it! God.
    There is an advantage to occasionally reading the Star, Sun, Mirror, Express, even (gasp) the Daily Mail. Or at least there was when newspaper readership was higher, I don't do it so much anymore. My usual source was abandoned copies on buses, trains or the tube, but that's probably not very covidsafe! Most of us have a critical awareness about our own media and information diet, and how that shapes our worldview. But we are massively outnumbered by people on very different information diets to us. Dipping in to what they see can help us see the world through their eyes.

With the decline of the press, splintering of TV channels and fall in linear TV, and explosion of online media and the fact I eschew Facebook, Instagram, Netflix and Amazon Prime (and am not active on Twitter, though will read links from here), and I don't follow any famous Youtubers or podcasters, I've found myself increasingly out of touch with what media sources many people are consuming these days. At least re news, I know BBC Online has a strong presence still even with younger consumers, and I sometimes look at the Guardian and the Mail Online which are both relatively popular. I notice I'm increasingly of touch with the under-thirties and it's not just on music!!

Anyone got any suggestions for how to build some bridges with the young'uns?
    Take up video gaming. It's so varied there's something for everyone and even if its a genre not hugely popular with da yoof it allows for shared language and culture. That'll build a bridge through shared consumption without having to take a plunge into all youth focused media.
    You’ll also learn that teenage boys are not terribly woke and have a wide vocabulary, albeit limited to specific areas.
    Well, I wouldn't suggest leaping straight into discussion in an online game, for that very reason!
  • Options

Does that mean Corbyn gets a stay of execution?
  • Options

Does that mean Jeremy remains leader indefinitely? Or is April 4 set in stone?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,526
    It’s just testing. Which is going to reveal the true disaster they are presiding over.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,900
    Evening all :)

Just one trifling question - presumably even though the elections are delayed, they are still the 2020 elections and the winners will serve until 2024?

I ask because I think it probable the 2024 London mayoral election contest will take place on the same day as the next GE.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

https://twitter.com/Rosemarycalm/status/1238539833330581504
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694

Well, if you will go to a peasant emporium.

I'm enjoying fresh plaice from the Waitrose fishmonger tonight.

Delicious.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

How will anyone be able to tell?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178

alex_ said:

It is our last hope
    Theirs anyway.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OFSTED has literally caused the deaths of headteachers in the past. Why would anyone be surprised that they don’t care?

A more pertinent point, one that hare brained lowlife failure Spielmann seems not to have thought of, is that if a senior teacher dies of a
    Covid-19 then the school will have to close for cleaning, so there will be nothing to inspect.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    stodge said:

Just one trifling question - presumably even though the elections are delayed, they are still the 2020 elections and the winners will serve until 2024?

That's what I want to know. As otherwise the cycle of local elections and mayoral elections is somewhat overburdened. Certainly local authorities have been put on different term lengths before so they then match up with the wider election cycle.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    stodge said:

I ask because I think it probable the 2024 London mayoral election contest will take place on the same day as the next GE.

Surely they won't allow elections with different systems on the same day?
  • Options

Well, if you will go to a peasant emporium.

I'm enjoying fresh plaice from the Waitrose fishmonger tonight.

Delicious.
    I was really annoyed with all these bloody hoarders. They had taken so much there were only 26 ready meals left for me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OFSTED has literally caused the deaths of headteachers in the past. Why would anyone be surprised that they don’t care?

A more pertinent point, one that hare brained lowlife failure Spielmann seems not to have thought of, is that if a senior teacher dies of a
    Covid-19 then the school will have to close for cleaning, so there will be nothing to inspect.
    The whole statement is much worse, the tone is appalling.

And yes, I've worked in a school where a key staff member died 24 hours before inspection. It was one of the worst experiences of my life.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

No chance.
  • Options
    They have shut the beaches! Obviously high contagion point. easier to have just shut the motorway from Madrid to the coast
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,900
    edited March 2020
    Stocky said:

Dow`s going through the roof.

It jumped on Trump's pronouncements earlier in the week only to crash the next day.

All it's done is wipe out most of the week's earlier losses - a very long way off its pre-virus levels.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    welshowl said:

Give them credit for adding some innocent merriment to our lives.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

stodge said:

Allowed it in 2004 in London.

About five different voting systems
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756

Does that mean Jeremy remains leader indefinitely? Or is April 4 set in stone?
    The conference was already binned. Presumably Jenny Formby just announces the result on a webcam.
  • Options
    Now I remember what that White House flowchart reminded me of, we're all doomed.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,041
    rpjs said:

eek said:

eadric said:

I'm on the latest Chrome for Mac OS and PB's working fine for me.
    Only an issue if you are trying to login (where vanilla tries to set a cookie which is rejected). I think existing cookies are valid until a later release.
  • Options
    FFS, the Amazon algorithm is clearly quite sophisticated. This is what it just recommended for me :frowning: :

1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Turning Points in Ancient History)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

tlg86 said:

stodge said:

Allowed it in 2004 in London.

About five different voting systems
    Is there a reason why it hasn't been repeated? Wasn't there a bit of trouble in Scotland in 2007?
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oh Jesus. Right that has spoilt my evening.

Night night all.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Balrog said:

Alistair said:

Dems steaming down faster than the price of Bitcoin. Act fast to get them @1.93

Sounds like my cashing out of my bets on democratic nominee and splitting the pleasingly large profits between betting on dems and laying trump wasnt a bad idea... if only I hadn't repeatedly lost money betting against starmer because momentum would guarantee RLB would win...
    I laid Starmer approximately 5 milliseconds before the YouGov came out.

Not my finest betting moment.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Give them credit for adding some innocent merriment to our lives.
    Yup 100% on that. It’s like the Griswolds do public health.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,172
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    In 2004 when I lived in London I voted in the following elections

1) London Mayoral - Supplementary vote

2) London Assembly - FPTP and AMS

3) European Elections - D'Hondt method

5 votes on three ballot papers with 4 voting systems.
This discussion has been closed.