Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Page not found

Comments

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

Charles said:

eadric said:

Welcome to AlwaysSinging

We need someone to cheer us with the odd inspirational hymn

He who would valiant be?
    All things bright and beautiful,
    All creatures great and small
    All things wise and wonderful
    The Lord God made them all.

We shouldn't forget!
    And not forgetting the seldom sung Structural Functionalist verse.

The rich man in his castle,
    The poor man at his gate,
    God made them high and lowly,
    And ordered their estate.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    A GOP lawmaker who voted against paid sick leave for Coronavirus sufferers.... has gone on paid sick leave.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/12/matt-gaetz-florida-paid-sick-leave-coronavirus/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    edited March 2020

Thank you for your kind welcomes. To answer Eristdoof's question, I'm a Bar often pressed into service as a T, but nowadays more of a conductor than a prole singer.

Hard work. Do you have to do accompaniments as well?

My life’s ambition is to conduct, sing all four parts and play the organ in one hymn. Never managed it yet as I keep buggering up the counter tenor.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Foss said:

eadric said:
    Has this actually been confirmed? 'DiscloseTV' appear to be the only people reporting it.
    Germany seems to be working from a very similar model to us which is slightly reassuring.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope we don't cave in to populism as far as the British expert advice is concerned.

Andy...the British Expert Advice doesn't speak with one voice....the Govt has temporarily coalesced around a position that is untenable.....
    With our Government's approach it is open to anyone who wants to to self isolate for as long as they like, the difference is that they are not compelled to go into lockdown.

The other way round does not give the same choice.

• Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I've just hit my Conavirus supplies, and wolfed down a good chunk of Pringles

You savage.

I liked your post from the previous thread about Brexit....

I wish we were all still bickering about Brexit for obvious reasons.....it all appears such a long time ago.....

Just think this one thing....if the authorities in Wuhan had isolated that unusual cluster of patients with pneumonia quickly at the end of November, this Covid malarky would have probably got a couple of paragraphs in the world section of the Guardian.....

Instead...we are looking at an event that is going to define the world for generations....
    I reckon Brexit will now be more than paused, it will be rendered irrelevant. It will be seen as meaningless in relation to the post-viral situation.

We will be like a family that fought mightily for planning rights to build an extension, who then discover that everywhere for hundreds of miles is now underwater, and everyone has to move to higher ground so as to live.
    It’s going to be hilarious reading your posts when the apocalypse doesn’t happen.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Another gorgeous piece is Will Todd's Stay with me Lord, a setting of Padre Pio's prayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9ucRRZRmE

Sublime

Stay with me, Lord, for you are my life, my strength and my faith, my passion and light.
    Lord, stay lest I forget you, abandon you, fall in the dark.
    O Lord, my soul is poor, but let it be a home for you.
    Stay with me, Lord, that I may see your will.
    Stay with me, O my Lord, that I may hear your voice.
    Stay with me, that I may love you.
    Stay with me, Lord, that I may be true.
    Stay, Jesus, stay, for the day is late, and night comes quickly.
    Judgement and death, eternity come; Lord, strengthen me.
    I fear the dark, the Cross, the sorrows, Lord, temptation.
    O Jesus, I need you to hold me in this night of exile.
    I ask no comfort but your staying, your love, your will, your light, your spirit.
    I ask no other consolation. I ask no other gift but love.
    Let me perceive you as your disciples in the breaking of bread.
    May your Eucharist be the breaking of the day, the joy of my heart.
    Lord, end this night of exile, and at my death stay with me, if not in bread, in grace and love.

Words by Ben Dunwell, based on a prayer by St Padre Pio of Pietrelcina (1887–1968)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,379
    Some of you guys are losing it slightly now.

😱
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,653
    Floater said:

eadric said:
    I believe this is Evul Stuuuupid Tory Policy - see Farcebook and reddut for detailed explanations.

Or is it different if other countries do this?
    If others do it - a superb proportional response
    How does it go -

Darling: So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshal Haig is most anxious to
    eliminate all these German spies.

Melchett: Filthy Hun weasels fighting their dirty underhand war!

Darling: And, fortunately, one of *our* spies--

Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes, risking life and limb for Blighty!
  • Options

A GOP lawmaker who voted against paid sick leave for Coronavirus sufferers.... has gone on paid sick leave.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/12/matt-gaetz-florida-paid-sick-leave-coronavirus/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

As Glinda didn’t quite say:

‘Remember, dear, karma’s only a bitch if you are.’
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2020
    Dems steaming down faster than the price of Bitcoin. Act fast to get them @1.93
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,085
    ydoethur said:

Thank you for your kind welcomes. To answer Eristdoof's question, I'm a Bar often pressed into service as a T, but nowadays more of a conductor than a prole singer.

My life’s ambition is to conduct, sing all four parts and play the organ in one hymn. Never managed it yet as I keep buggering up the counter tenor.
    Sounds like Alex Salmond.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

😱

Let them have their prayer meeting/wake. They seem to be enjoying it.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Animal_pb said:

eadric said:

"The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time*"

*hopefully that's an exaggeration: BUT we are now seeing, at first hand, what it is like for the nation to go into a serious, potentially devastating war

No one under 80 has a memory of anything like this.
    We’ll cope, Sean. This is a nation that knows how to survive a war. We’ll take our losses, mourn the fallen, then pick up the pieces and carry on. We’re not so different from our (admittedly slightly hardier) forebears.
    Enough of the WW2 mythology. 90% of the population have no memory of the war.
    You’re missing my point. But today’s not a day to argue.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

Foss said:

eadric said:
    Has this actually been confirmed? 'DiscloseTV' appear to be the only people reporting it.
    Germany seems to be working from a very similar model to us which is slightly reassuring.
    That may be the case; however Germany calling up retired medics doesn't seem to be on the Guardian/Telegraph/BBC liveblogs. It hasn't even made it to the rather excitable Reddit livethread.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

*Raises eyebrows*

I assure you my mighty eight foot horn has not been exposed anywhere it is unwelcome!
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

At this time I would sing something resolute. "I Will Lift Mine Eyes", perhaps the lovely setting by Jake Runestad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1KUjQ2v7fk

Surely I vow to thee my country, considering how many people are being expected to make the final sacrifice to give the rest of us herd immunity.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    kinabalu said:

😱

:smiley:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

😱

In the case of SeanT, I’m not 100% sure he ever had it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

😱

Let them have their prayer meeting/wake. They seem to be enjoying it.
    Displacement activity.

For which we are grateful to Always singing. A welcome addition to the blog.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

Does anyone just feel an enervating sense of dread?

Denmark closes its borders, then Poland...
    Impossible to concentrate on work.

Yes it is a sense of grief for the world now gone. I've gone through various of the phases. Depression for a long time. Now I'm at acceptance.
    Mette Frederiksen's voice was shaking in the press conference - which kind of sums up where I am at - planning to get through this thing, confident it will pass and yet stuck in a mental tractor beam that pulls my thinking constantly back to this disaster movie reality happening around me. How I am going to blithely prepare and deliver my teaching next week I just don't know.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Foss said:

eadric said:
    That may be the case; however Germany calling up retired medics doesn't seem to be on the Guardian/Telegraph/BBC liveblogs. It hasn't even made it to the rather excitable Reddit livethread.
    It's a policy that all sensible governments should be considering.
  • Options

Foss said:

Foss said:

eadric said:
    It's a policy that all sensible governments should be considering.
    So, you’re saying the US and UK are not doing so?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

*Raises eyebrows*

I assure you my mighty eight foot horn has not been exposed anywhere it is unwelcome!
    Where have we heard that defence before.....
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited March 2020
    European countries that are closing their borders to at least a substantial minority of the EU: Denmark, Malta, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland

List is growing rapidly.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

*Raises eyebrows*

Where have we heard that defence before.....
    Well, certainly not from Harvey Weinstein, whose defence was a really bizarre opposite.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Perhaps he has mellowed over time.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/10038528258
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Fpt

Apropos of nothing, a young Corbynite student type I work with just messaged me and said:

“Herd immunity? OK, let’s leave 1.3m to die.”

I’m not sure how she derived that number, but I share because perhaps the governments message will *not* be accepted unthinkingly by the whole population.

Diane Abbott sent it to her?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

You savage.

I wish we were all still bickering about Brexit for obvious reasons.....it all appears such a long time ago.....

Just think this one thing....if the authorities in Wuhan had isolated that unusual cluster of patients with pneumonia quickly at the end of November, this Covid malarky would have probably got a couple of paragraphs in the world section of the Guardian.....

Instead...we are looking at an event that is going to define the world for generations....
    I reckon Brexit will now be more than paused, it will be rendered irrelevant. It will be seen as meaningless in relation to the post-viral situation.

We will be like a family that fought mightily for planning rights to build an extension, who then discover that everywhere for hundreds of miles is now underwater, and everyone has to move to higher ground so as to live.
    It’s going to be hilarious reading your posts when the apocalypse doesn’t happen.
    And no one will be laughing louder than me. I would be orgasmically delighted if my pessimism (realism?) proves to be unfounded, and you lot all get to mock me from here to eternity. Please let it be so.

Unfortunately, all my reasonable worst case scenarios have come true, so far (eg the closing of borders today). If anything, I have erred on the side of optimism. I have Normalcy Bias, too.

To be fair to you, it’s quite useful if a chunk of the population act like you are.

Earlier on I was musing over whether part of what our behavioural scientists suggested was deliberately not having a “lock down” but letting people and businesses decide to reduce their own movements a bit to take the edge off and keep exposure levels in the sweet spot.

I may be being cynical.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,462
    The Trumpet is late for his big speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_WM_pMp0Hg

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    eadric said:

And no one will be laughing louder than me. I would be orgasmically delighted if my pessimism (realism?) proves to be unfounded, and you lot all get to mock me from here to eternity. Please let it be so.

Unfortunately, all my reasonable worst case scenarios have come true, so far (eg the closing of borders today). If anything, I have erred on the side of optimism. I have Normalcy Bias, too.

I hope you are so wrong that you replace Roger's financial crash prediction.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My keyboard skills are unfortunately rather basic - unlike you, I'm no organist. My grandmother was the organist in the family. Thankfully most of the choir are pretty strong and don't need much help with notes. I do enjoy switching between parts, but my falsetto lets me down rather ;)

Currently deciding whether to cancel the upcoming rehearsal season for the choir. A tough call.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I find it oddly comforting that you read the Daily Star.

Do they still do a tit count?

:smile: - I didn't read it! God.
    There is an advantage to occasionally reading the Star, Sun, Mirror, Express, even (gasp) the Daily Mail. Or at least there was when newspaper readership was higher, I don't do it so much anymore. My usual source was abandoned copies on buses, trains or the tube, but that's probably not very covidsafe! Most of us have a critical awareness about our own media and information diet, and how that shapes our worldview. But we are massively outnumbered by people on very different information diets to us. Dipping in to what they see can help us see the world through their eyes.

With the decline of the press, splintering of TV channels and fall in linear TV, and explosion of online media and the fact I eschew Facebook, Instagram, Netflix and Amazon Prime (and am not active on Twitter, though will read links from here), and I don't follow any famous Youtubers or podcasters, I've found myself increasingly out of touch with what media sources many people are consuming these days. At least re news, I know BBC Online has a strong presence still even with younger consumers, and I sometimes look at the Guardian and the Mail Online which are both relatively popular. I notice I'm increasingly of touch with the under-thirties and it's not just on music!!

Anyone got any suggestions for how to build some bridges with the young'uns?
    Take up video gaming. It's so varied there's something for everyone and even if its a genre not hugely popular with da yoof it allows for shared language and culture. That'll build a bridge through shared consumption without having to take a plunge into all youth focused media.
    You’ll also learn that teenage boys are not terribly woke and have a wide vocabulary, albeit limited to specific areas.
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

Yes it is a sense of grief for the world now gone. I've gone through various of the phases. Depression for a long time. Now I'm at acceptance.
    Mette Frederiksen's voice was shaking in the press conference - which kind of sums up where I am at - planning to get through this thing, confident it will pass and yet stuck in a mental tractor beam that pulls my thinking constantly back to this disaster movie reality happening around me. How I am going to blithely prepare and deliver my teaching next week I just don't know.
    The usual remedies for depression and grief have worked for me. Fresh air, sunshine, long walks and getting stuck into some mundane tasks.

I have young children so I can't be too gloomy for too long.

My wife is a teacher. She has really struggled with motivating herself to do all the pathetic garbage at school which even at the best of times is pathetic garbage. We are hoping the education establishment sees sense and recognises that schools are going to be basically babysitting for the next few months.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    Andy_JS said:

I hope we don't cave in to populism as far as the British expert advice is concerned.

I wonder how many of the people demanding government lockdowns have themselves self-isolated.

Not many I suspect.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,914

At this time I would sing something resolute. "I Will Lift Mine Eyes", perhaps the lovely setting by Jake Runestad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1KUjQ2v7fk

Thank you that is lovely music.

I'm a bass and I love singing.
    Unfortunately I heard today one choir I'm in has to break during the Corona Crisis, as the church room where we practice is closing to all groups.

I just hope the my other choir doesn't have to stop aswell.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    eadric said:

Also, in the biggest news of the day, PB seems to work on Edge but not on Chrome.

You use multiple browsers too?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO3shXu8Vqo

There are loved ones in the glory
    Whose dear forms you often miss.
    When you close your earthly story,
    Will you join them in their bliss?

Will the circle be unbroken
    By and by, by and by?
    Is a better home awaiting
    In the sky, in the sky?
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

You savage.

To be fair to you, it’s quite useful if a chunk of the population act like you are.

Earlier on I was musing over whether part of what our behavioural scientists suggested was deliberately not having a “lock down” but letting people and businesses decide to reduce their own movements a bit to take the edge off and keep exposure levels in the sweet spot.

I may be being cynical.
    I don’t think you are. I was thinking that while watching the news. Government banning things causes panic. People being allowed to make their own decisions (and reaching conclusions that the government doesn’t object to) is arguably better and give the feeling of being in control of ones destiny.

• Options
    Chameleon said:

European countries that are closing their borders to at least a substantial minority of the EU: Denmark, Malta, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland

List is growing rapidly.

Brexit won't get finished because there will be no EU left to exit....

How the hell do the EU agree a Budget in this epic mess?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

eadric said:

Also, in the biggest news of the day, PB seems to work on Edge but not on Chrome.

You use multiple browsers too?
    PB doesn't work for me on safari, so I have to use chrome to comment here.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,914

Another gorgeous piece is Will Todd's Stay with me Lord, a setting of Padre Pio's prayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9ucRRZRmE

Sublime

Stay with me, Lord, for you are my life, my strength and my faith, my passion and light.
    Lord, stay lest I forget you, abandon you, fall in the dark.
    O Lord, my soul is poor, but let it be a home for you.
    Stay with me, Lord, that I may see your will.
    Stay with me, O my Lord, that I may hear your voice.
    Stay with me, that I may love you.
    Stay with me, Lord, that I may be true.
    Stay, Jesus, stay, for the day is late, and night comes quickly.
    Judgement and death, eternity come; Lord, strengthen me.
    I fear the dark, the Cross, the sorrows, Lord, temptation.
    O Jesus, I need you to hold me in this night of exile.
    I ask no comfort but your staying, your love, your will, your light, your spirit.
    I ask no other consolation. I ask no other gift but love.
    Let me perceive you as your disciples in the breaking of bread.
    May your Eucharist be the breaking of the day, the joy of my heart.
    Lord, end this night of exile, and at my death stay with me, if not in bread, in grace and love.

Words by Ben Dunwell, based on a prayer by St Padre Pio of Pietrelcina (1887–1968)

Wonderful, thanks.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_WM_pMp0Hg

Maybe it is taking time for him to get into his hazmat suit?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I wonder how many of the people demanding government lockdowns have themselves self-isolated.

Not many I suspect.
    I haven’t been demanding it but I have. I’ve had a persistent cough for 3 weeks and it’s cleary not Covid19 but the public is being whipped into a state of frenzy by loud but ultimately empty vessels.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

My keyboard skills are unfortunately rather basic - unlike you, I'm no organist. My grandmother was the organist in the family. Thankfully most of the choir are pretty strong and don't need much help with notes. I do enjoy switching between parts, but my falsetto lets me down rather ;)

Currently deciding whether to cancel the upcoming rehearsal season for the choir. A tough call.
    Choir has been cancelled tonight, which is why I’m here. Nothing to do with coronavirus, the choirmaster’s mother in law has died. I did offer to stand in for him but there were complications so it was easier to cancel.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I’ll stick with ‘always look on the bright side of life’
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,519
    eadric said:

It's my kids that sadden me. Yes they will probably survive, but what sort of world will they inherit? How much of their extended family will get through?

We're heading into a war. It's hideous. I wish to God I had been wrong.

You have been consistently wrong. Or, actually, inconsistently wrong.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372

rcs1000 said:

JM1 said:

Oh, absolutely! Two days of data are clearly insufficient for anything statistically significant. But the provincial level data (especially for Lodi / Cremona) does suggest that the epidemic might have peaked already and that the rest of Lombardy is beginning to follow a similar trend (I could use R to analyse but also might give it to a student ;-))

Isolation measures cause cases to collapse.

We know this.

It's worked in South Korea, China, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

That's not the problem. The problem is what happens when you lift the restrictions.

The UK government is following the policy of allowing a large-ish number of people to get infected before implementing draconian measures. Other governments have different policies. Only time will tell which is right.
    Surely it would be possible to gradually lift restrictions while keeping an eye on the rate of new infections? Then, if they start to tick up too much, reimpose some of the restrictions. You could vary the restrictions imposed so as not to come down disproportionately on particular sections of the public. You'd still eventually attain herd immunity, but without overwhelming your health system in the process.
    Sounds a credible plan to me - rather more than what we're doing.

Incidentally, it might be a good moment for people to check that their deposits in any one financial institution don't exceed the Government-guaranteed amount of £85K. In the current panicky atmosphere it's easy to imagine pressures on the banks.
  • Options
    matt said:

Andy_JS said:

Not many I suspect.
    I haven’t been demanding it but I have. I’ve had a persistent cough for 3 weeks and it’s cleary not Covid19 but the public is being whipped into a state of frenzy by loud but ultimately empty vessels.
    I have been sneezing all day. It has not made me popular!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

*Raises eyebrows*

Careful guys, let's not discuss it here until the conv...I mean until the verdict.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

kingbongo said:

The usual remedies for depression and grief have worked for me. Fresh air, sunshine, long walks and getting stuck into some mundane tasks.

My wife is a teacher. She has really struggled with motivating herself to do all the pathetic garbage at school which even at the best of times is pathetic garbage. We are hoping the education establishment sees sense and recognises that schools are going to be basically babysitting for the next few months.
    yeah I am lucky - I have 10 cubic metres of wood to chop and young children to keep me perky -but this is certainly the most incredible situation of my 55 years by far.
  • Options

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_WM_pMp0Hg

Maybe it is taking time for him to get into his hazmat suit?
    I thinks hes slugging back the Covonia. Can it still be a national emergency if none declares it?
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

You savage.

Unfortunately, the "apocalypse" is happening right now. I am referring to the massive economic shutdown that is taking place all over the world. If the epidemic is contained by people and organisations self-imposing restrictions to their normal activities it will take a long time for things to return to normal now even if the virus goes away. If in fact new cases continue throughout the rest of 2020 so that society does not return to its pre-virus situation the economic effects will be huge. The world economy will nose dive. Eventually we may have to choose between working as usual and getting sick or continuing to isolate and going hungry. In the old days people got sick a lot more than now but they accepted it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

Not many I suspect.
    The chorus of very English tutting will force anybody with more than an occassional sniffle to hide away from such public condemnation for weeks on end.

Job done.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

Not many I suspect.
    As sneezing is, I understand, not a symptom, you’re heading toward paediatrician/paedophile-lynchings, Portsmouth style.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

JM1 said:

Oh, absolutely! Two days of data are clearly insufficient for anything statistically significant. But the provincial level data (especially for Lodi / Cremona) does suggest that the epidemic might have peaked already and that the rest of Lombardy is beginning to follow a similar trend (I could use R to analyse but also might give it to a student ;-))

Isolation measures cause cases to collapse.

We know this.

It's worked in South Korea, China, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

That's not the problem. The problem is what happens when you lift the restrictions.

The UK government is following the policy of allowing a large-ish number of people to get infected before implementing draconian measures. Other governments have different policies. Only time will tell which is right.
    Surely it would be possible to gradually lift restrictions while keeping an eye on the rate of new infections? Then, if they start to tick up too much, reimpose some of the restrictions. You could vary the restrictions imposed so as not to come down disproportionately on particular sections of the public. You'd still eventually attain herd immunity, but without overwhelming your health system in the process.
    Sounds a credible plan to me - rather more than what we're doing.

Incidentally, it might be a good moment for people to check that their deposits in any one financial institution don't exceed the Government-guaranteed amount of £85K. In the current panicky atmosphere it's easy to imagine pressures on the banks.
    That might be the plan when governments start easing restrictions.

We'll know when it starts to happen.
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

yeah I am lucky - I have 10 cubic metres of wood to chop and young children to keep me perky -but this is certainly the most incredible situation of my 55 years by far.
    Get chopping my friend.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The number of people in Germany with coronavirus has climbed again – this time to 3,634. The eighth death in the country was announced on Friday.

I believe that is 50% increase in each of the past 2 days.
  • Options
    Re self-isolation and lockdowns.

I suspect it will become easier as the weather becomes warmer, the days grow longer and the clocks go forward.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099
    dr_spyn said:

I've always like the idea of complimentary medicine: yes you look so well, so very well... possibly the most well I've ever seen you
  • Options
    eadric said:

kingbongo said:

I usually use the gym to life dark moods and depression. I don't think gyms are good places to be right now, even with a mask and gloves.

I guess it's gonna be a long period of walks in the park, or by the sea.
    What sort of gloves are you using ?

Disposable latex rubbish or something more substantial that can be cleaned ?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I’ll stick with ‘always look on the bright side of life’

Life's a piece of shit
    When you look at it?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    How does PB feel about making up with enemies old and past, including family members?

There are people I haven't spoken to in years and swore I would never speak to again who are in their sixties and seventies now.

On the one hand, it may be time to bury the hatchet. On the other hand, a bastard is still a bastard regardless of whether or not their number is up.
  • Options

My wife is a teacher. She has really struggled with motivating herself to do all the pathetic garbage at school which even at the best of times is pathetic garbage. We are hoping the education establishment sees sense

Blimey. We are having multiple religious experiences right now. That’s asking for a miracle on a par with the raising of Lazarus.
  • Options
    Italy’s school shutdown is driving a surge in internet traffic as kids turn to online video games to stave off boredom.

With schools, shops and restaurants closed in an attempt to limit Europe’s worst coronavirus outbreak, the amount of data passing through Telecom Italia SpA’s national network has surged by more than two-thirds in the past two weeks, the company said.

A lot of that extra activity is due to online games such as ‘Fortnite’ and ‘Call of Duty,’ which can involve multiple players and take up more bandwidth than the business programs and conference call apps used by adults working from home.

Gaming traffic can spike even higher when the games are refreshed and millions of kids download the latest 25-gigabyte update at once.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/housebound-italian-kids-strain-network-with-fortnite-marathon
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    Betfair mayoral election market has been voided
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    Trump sounds ill.
  • Options

The number of people in Germany with coronavirus has climbed again – this time to 3,634. The eighth death in the country was announced on Friday.

I believe that is 50% increase in each of the past 2 days.

The number of people in Germant KNOWN to have coronvirus.

And the difference between the number known to be infected and the total number infected is one of the great uncertainties.
  • Options
    Jesus how many people all within close range. Have they all got it?
  • Options
    "You want me to say WHAT???"
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    rcs1000 said:

dr_spyn said:

I've always like the idea of complimentary medicine: yes you look so well, so very well... possibly the most well I've ever seen you
    Ha, ha, very good.
  • Options
    What is he wibbling about.
  • Options

"You want me to say WHAT???"
    'When you compare what we've done to the rest of the world its pretty incredible'
  • Options

Jesus how many people all within close range. Have they all got it?

All within close range of what?
  • Options

Betfair mayoral election market has been voided

That loud bang you heard was TSE exploding.
  • Options
    This is totally weird (even by Trump's standards).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Trump sounds ill.

And/or weary.

Its no longer a game for him.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    edited March 2020
    kyf_100 said:

How does PB feel about making up with enemies old and past, including family members?

There are people I haven't spoken to in years and swore I would never speak to again who are in their sixties and seventies now.

On the one hand, it may be time to bury the hatchet. On the other hand, a bastard is still a bastard regardless of whether or not their number is up.

Generally, feuds hurt the feuder more than the feudee. Make it up.

Speaking of which, I think I should give SeanT (and his like-minded friend here) some credit. We all sneered at his panic, but I'm not sure he was altogether wrong.to take a gloomy view. We've been squabbling for years about some aspect of the European treaties that I've now forgotten. Pax, eh?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Trump sounds ill.

And/or weary.

Its no longer a game for him.
    He is shit scared and knows no amount of his usual BS / tweeting will help.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    FPT - apologies if someone has answered. I am genuinely interested, if only because - if this correct - the UK might come out of relatively unscathed.

Quick question for Foxy and the other medical / scientific experts on this site. Do you think there is a genetic element to the risk of death from Coronavirus?

There seems two parts to this pandemic. The virus itself and then what seems to be the autoimmune reaction to it, which leads to death (please correct me if I am wrong).

It looks like there are no specific genetic barriers to catching the virus. What struck me more was that, in Europe, the Southern European countries seem to be taking more of a hammering on the death rates whilst Northern Europe is getting off lightly in terms of % death ratios.

There may be other factors at play but I wonder whether certain genetric types might be more prone to the autoimmune reaction part.

What got me thinking about this is that 10% of the European population has some form of immunity to HIV but it varies significantly between parts (relatively high in Scandinavia, very low around the Med) and whether there are parallels here. The cause seems to be the knock-on effects of the Bubonic Plague in the middle ages

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050325234239.htm
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,959
    Trump sounding totally distraught, reading his script and rambling on as if he doesn’t understand what the hell is happening around him.
  • Options
    Trump sounds like he really doesn’t want to do this as it seems like too much hard work for him.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

Trump sounding totally distraught, reading his script and rambling on as if he doesn’t understand what the hell is happening around him.

He sounds very uncomfortable talking about testing. I wonder what tests he's undergone, or refused to undergo.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

It is always good to make up. This is beyond politics
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,519
    The Dow doesn’t know which way to run
  • Options
    Mad Nad's Mum is only a bit older than me. And my family are a damn sight more sympatheic and concerned than she appears to be.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099

Chameleon said:

List is growing rapidly.

Brexit won't get finished because there will be no EU left to exit....

How the hell do the EU agree a Budget in this epic mess?
    Does it (existentially) matter for the EU if they don't agree a budget?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited March 2020

Trump sounds like he really doesn’t want to do this as it seems like too much hard work for him.

I`ve said a few times on this forum that I have a feeling that Trump won`t run. He`s been a low risk lay for ages. I`ve just had a nibble on Haley for next pres at 300/1 with B365. (I`m already on Pence and Biden.)
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

kingbongo said:

I usually use the gym to life dark moods and depression. I don't think gyms are good places to be right now, even with a mask and gloves.

I guess it's gonna be a long period of walks in the park, or by the sea.
    What sort of gloves are you using ?

Disposable latex rubbish or something more substantial that can be cleaned ?
    Disposable TPE and nitrile
    Which are most effective ?

I thought of getting some tough nitrile gloves for my oldies as they show no inclination to self-isolate.
  • Options
    Can we put this lady in charge instead of Trump?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Hotels in Madrid to be converted to hospitals!
  • Options
    A flow chart, fucking hell.
This discussion has been closed.