Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Page not found

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

rcs1000 said:
    @rcs1000 - Are you not paying attention? The PB Tories have assured us that this guy knows nothing. Go back two or three days....

Apparently it is also good to infect the nation. If you comment on the 1% - 3% then you are, apparently, an idiot.
    Except I am not a Tory.
    Welcome to the club, whether you like it or not. :)

The fact @Beibheirli_C is trying to make this partisan is telling.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,798
    MIAMI, March 13, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Cruise Line announced today that it is pausing operations immediately across its fleet of ships based in North America and will resume them on Friday, April 10. All ships currently at sea will continue their voyages and return to their homeports as scheduled.

Throughout this COVID-19 situation that has now turned into a global pandemic, we have implemented higher and higher levels of screening, monitoring and sanitation protocols to protect the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve. While Carnival has not had a diagnosed case linked to our operation we realize this situation is bigger than the cruise industry and we will continue to do our part to support public officials to manage and contain this unprecedented public health challenge.

We are contacting booked guests directly regarding their cruise and their options.

Our guests have been tremendously patient and understanding as we have reacted to a rapidly changing situation and a desire to be responsive to authorities in the U.S. and the destinations we visit. We are very sorry that this decision will disrupt the vacation plans for our guests and look forward to resuming operations and providing our guests safe, fun and memorable vacations. And it goes without saying, we can only do that with the support of our outstanding onboard team members who have been nothing short of amazing during this prolonged period of challenge.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-announces-pause-service
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Or perhaps it just shows that the Mail will stick anything on the front page if they think it will sell their paper.

Nah, no point just taking shots at the Mail at a time like this. The press as a whole has been up and down like a yo-yo and it isn't just the Mail. For the same two days, here's one of our nation's supposed "newspapers of record"

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1237869446896611329

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1238231027061067781

Read and weep.

To be fair most of that "up and down" motion has been between the peaks of "things ain't looking all that good" and the troughs of "THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING, YOUR LIFE IS NOT GOING TO BE THE SAME AGAIN AND PEOPLE YOU LOVE ARE ABOUT TO DIE" but in terms of the impact on me of the emotional texture formed by the buffeting of successive days' media tones, I think John Cleese said it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnhmuZ27eQ
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:
    @rcs1000 - Are you not paying attention? The PB Tories have assured us that this guy knows nothing. Go back two or three days....

Apparently it is also good to infect the nation. If you comment on the 1% - 3% then you are, apparently, an idiot.
    Except I am not a Tory.

Well, it does not seem to be the rabid lefties shooting anyone who departs from Holy Writ Govt Policy.

BTW - Perhaps you could clarify "The fact @Beibheirli_C is trying to make this partisan is telling."

Exactly what is it "Telling"?
  • Options

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Except I am not a Tory.

Well, it does not seem to be the rabid lefties shooting anyone who departs from Holy Writ Govt Policy.

Who is shooting anyone? You seem to think that only PB Tories are the ones supporting this policy. You couldn't be further from the truth.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

A primary fucking example of what I am banging on about:

https://twitter.com/laurelchor/ status/1238472301328433154

https://twitter.com/laurelchor/ status/1238472302825746433

If we are 3 weeks ahead of Italy, then we'll have just enough time to see if people in Italy are scared enough to react appropriately, or whether lockdowns are futile.
  • Options
    Anecdote: Just been out, in a large town in the North West on mainline train routes that just today reported its first case of COVID-19:
    Wetherspoons: about a third as busy as usual on a Friday night, especially early in the evening when it was far quieter than usual
    Local pub with typically older clientele: Not noticeably different from normal
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:
    Isn't that the piece by the motivational speaker?

Yeah, what does the CMO or GCS know that he doesn't.

Epidemiology Professor vs Motivational Speaker:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1238573667002523648?s=20

https://edailybuzz.com/2020/03/12/tomas-pueyo-wiki-bio-age-birthday-married-net-worth-education-ted-talk-wife/
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

https://edailybuzz.com/2020/03/12/tomas-pueyo-wiki-bio-age-birthday-married-net-worth-education-ted-talk-wife/
    I hope he was introduced as a motivational speaker. Just to emphasise how out of his depth he is.

And watching that, he seems absolutely crazed. Anyone taking him seriously is insane.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,039
    LucyJones said:

Went to watch my daughter play in a youth orchestra earlier this evening. Talking to the lady next to me while waiting for it to start and between pieces.
    About half way through I happened to mention that I would need to dash off very quickly at the end of the concert, as I had somewhere else to go (just so I wouldn't seem rude). To which she replied that she would need to leave quickly too, to go back and check on her husband, who has been tested positive for Corona virus! Asked if he was ill, and apparently after two days of feeling really rough he is starting to feel better.
    I sat next to this person for an hour who is almost certainly a carrier and it seems odds-on that I will probably get it next week. Plus who knows how many people sitting around.

How many other people are walking around knowing that they are probable carriers? Why is the messaging not getting through?

I'm really shocked that someone could be so casual about passing on the virus.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,167

Andy_JS said:

I think we've made the right decision in the UK if this is anything to go by.
    I know it seems trivial but just been wondering about the football. From what I van work out:
    - Liverpool handed title (all clubs concede they have already won it)
    - Same clubs from last year’s Champions League qualify again (very lucky for Tottenham)
    - Arsenal take City’s place as finished 5th last season and City are banned
    - Leicester, Wolves, Utd enter extended qualifying phase next season
    - Top two promoted from Championship
    - No relegation from Premiership
    - Five relegated next season

Nothing much.
  • Options

Or perhaps it just shows that the Mail will stick anything on the front page if they think it will sell their paper.

Nah, no point just taking shots at the Mail at a time like this. The press as a whole has been up and down like a yo-yo and it isn't just the Mail. For the same two days, here's one of our nation's supposed "newspapers of record"
    Good news is no news? ;) I remember my English teacher using that as an essay subject back in the 70s. If it was true then, it looks even more true now.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Except I am not a Tory.

At various times, I have been accused on pb of a being a pb.Tory and a hard-line Corbynista.

Thankfully, I have been spared the ultimate humiliation of being labelled a LibDem :)
  • Options

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Except I am not a Tory.

At various times, I have been accused on pb of a being a pb.Tory and a hard-line Corbynista.

Thankfully, I have been spared the ultimate humiliation of being labelled a LibDem :)
    Very few have the trifecta, I wouldn't feel too bummed. :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1238573667002523648?s=20

edailybuzz.com/2020/03/12/tomas-pueyo-wiki-bio-age-birthday-married-net-worth-education-ted-talk-wife/
    I hope he was introduced as a motivational speaker. Just to emphasise how out of his depth he is.

And watching that, he seems absolutely crazed. Anyone taking him seriously is insane.
    He is not insane, but he certainly is not expressing himself well.

Herd immunity is indeed desirable, but the price to achieve it appears to be hundreds of thousands of deaths - that is what is outraging him.

Are a quarter of a million deaths an acceptable number?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

edailybuzz.com/2020/03/12/tomas-pueyo-wiki-bio-age-birthday-married-net-worth-education-ted-talk-wife/

Herd immunity is indeed desirable, but the price to achieve it appears to be hundreds of thousands of deaths - that is what is outraging him.

Depends what the alternative is, doesn't it? Which is effectively what the good professor himself said.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Pretty much the first thing that expert Michael Osterholm says on this video is that the virus is likely to make a comeback in those parts of China under lockdown when people start going back to work again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course, the question "lockdown now" proponents need to address is "when does it end"?

As the Professor of Epidemiology pointed out "once every case in the world has been resolved" - so, 18 months, minimum?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Depends what the alternative is, doesn't it? Which is effectively what the good professor himself said.
    Yes indeed, but the point is that emotional people are not rational.

The Professor can go on the TV and say we have no choice other than to expect a mortality of 1% rising to 10% in vulnerable groups and it may be the only plan in town. But people watching that think "What if I am in that 1%? My mum would be in the 10%".

They are not going to say "I agree - herd immunity is the way forward and my dead relatives are a price worth paying". They are going to say "Get me a vaccine" no matter how unreasonable that is, because for all their lives, a vaccine has always been the answer.

The Chinese were seen to build treatment centres. They may or may not have been effective, but at least they were seen to be trying which is rather different from our approach of wanting to consign a sizeable number of people to an early grave.

• Options
    I do enjoy how the Prof basically ignores the ranting idiot on the screen next to him and makes his point calmly and clearly.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

The Professor can go on the TV and say we have no choice other than to expect a mortality of 1% rising to 10% in vulnerable groups and it may be the only plan in town. But people watching that think "What if I am in that 1%? My mum would be in the 10%".

They are not going to say "I agree - herd immunity is the way forward and my dead relatives are a price worth paying". They are going to say "Get me a vaccine" no matter how unreasonable that is because for all their lives, a vaccine has always been the answer.

The Chinese were seen to build treatment centres. They may or may not have been effective, but at least they were seen to be trying which is rather different from our approach of wanting to consign a sizeable number of people to an early grave.

Who knows what the outcome of the Chinese experiment will be? The virus is not eliminated there, and as soon as everyone is released form the welded-up apartments it will undoubtedly spread again.

The UK scientific advisors clearly don't think that would work in the UK, and are advising what they think is best to mitigate the effects of this outbreak in the UK in the long run.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course, the question "lockdown now" proponents need to address is "when does it end"?

As the Professor of Epidemiology pointed out "once every case in the world has been resolved" - so, 18 months, minimum?
    I'm not advocating lockdown for the UK right now but I think the suggestion would be that it would end in 2 or 3 weeks, then you'd go to something more relaxed like the Japan / South Korea model that's basically normal life with a few changes. However by that time there will be more evidence from other countries about what happens after a lockdown.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

They are not going to say "I agree - herd immunity is the way forward and my dead relatives are a price worth paying". They are going to say "Get me a vaccine" no matter how unreasonable that is, because for all their lives, a vaccine has always been the answer.

Yeah, the big thing is whether Johnson can hold the course while other nations see a complete levelling off in cases. While in the long run the UK approach *should* be better, it won't feel like it. I suppose that the upside is that what these scared people will do is... isolate themselves.

I wonder if even a small amount of people having herd immunity (say 33%) would do anything. If 33% have immunity in the UK, then in the next wave it should grow relatively slower in the UK than elsewhere, and with some of the relatively less disruptive social distancing measures it may be able to even produce the Rn to below 1.

I see a lot of long term benefits of the UK approach, will be very hard to explain mid panic tough.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,633
    I think I'm coming around to the government's plans. However, I'd like a public data release of all the data that went into this decision and how it leads to getting transmission below R1.

The government may have good medical and scientific planning but the data analytics is notoriously poor. I think this is an area where crowd sourcing could be of real use because there are better data analysts and data scientists in the country than those who work for the government and were involved in this decision making process.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

They are not going to say "I agree - herd immunity is the way forward and my dead relatives are a price worth paying". They are going to say "Get me a vaccine" no matter how unreasonable that is because for all their lives, a vaccine has always been the answer.

Who knows what the outcome of the Chinese experiment will be? The virus is not eliminated there, and as soon as everyone is released form the welded-up apartments it will undoubtedly spread again.

The UK scientific advisors clearly don't think that would work in the UK, and are advising what they think is best to mitigate the effects of this outbreak in the UK in the long run.
    Which continues to miss the point. The Plan is talking about inflicting a similar level of fatalities on the UK population as WW2 did. There is nothing anyone can do to make that an acceptable plan.

The experts might think a cull is price of herd immunity. Those in the herd will disagree.

People will do their own lockdowns and the economy will hit hard because govt policy is to kill people. People will do their best to avoid catching it.
  • Options

RobD said:

Which continues to miss the point. The Plan is talking about inflicting a similar level of fatalities on the UK population as WW2 did. There is nothing anyone can do to make that an acceptable plan.

The experts might think a cull is price of herd immunity. Those in the herd will disagree.

People will do their own lockdowns and the economy will hit hard because govt policy is to kill people. People will do their best to avoid catching it.
    I'm not missing the point. It can be an acceptable plan if the alternative is worse. That's the judgement the scientific advisors have made.

Nice to see the corbynista WW2 line gaining traction here.
  • Options
    The government can never be wrong, it can only evolve into new, greater forms of rightness
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1238152493575667718?s=20
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pretty much the first thing that expert Michael Osterholm says on this video is that the virus is likely to make a comeback in those parts of China under lockdown when people start going back to work again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

Michael Osterholm ?

The internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology?

That Michael Osterholm?

Give me a motivational speaker with funky graphs any day of the week....
  • Options
    Is this how Trump gets Mexico to pay for the wall?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What if the alternative is quarterly lock downs which result in a higher overall death rate and larger hit to the economy?

Of all the armchair epidemiologists hire the stupidest I've come across. You clearly haven't got a clue what you're talking about and are stuck on this "everything the UK does is terrible" idea, even though this is the same path taken by Japan who now have a low transmission rate and the virus looks to be under control there.

Additionally, it makes sense that national or herd immunity be achieved through very low risk groups building it up. It's not such a big deal for kids, young people and middle aged people to get it. With good healthcare the death rate will be extremely low and health provisioning will not be anywhere near what would be required with a mass out break post lockdown.

It's amazing that you're exactly the type of person who decried the anti expert attitude of leavers, but this is now policy led by experts and you're still being a whiny bitch about it. Honestly, if Boris announced that the government had found a cure for this you'd still find fault somewhere. It's do transparent what your agenda is.

We will know soon enough.

Goodnight
  • Options

RobD said:

Exactly. Maybe that's part of the plan, though what I've seen this evening in my home town has been counterintuitive. It appears to be the younger people who are staying in, presumably trying to avoid catching it, whereas the older ones are going to the pub as though it were a normal Friday.

I'm struggling with the government policy, because it seems to be to let it rip and have a whole lot of people catch it within a few days. How the h*ll are the hospitals going to cope? We don't really know how infectious it is, but I fear that it's being underestimated and the health system is going to be overwhelmed in short order.

• Options

The government can never be wrong, it can only evolve into new, greater forms of rightness
    Your objection to the UK following a similar path to Singapore is?
  • Options
    RobD said:

There is nothing Corbynista about it. WW2 killed something under half a million Brits. A 1% mortality rate for this disease would exceed that.

Simple numbers....

Night night!
  • Options

RobD said:

There is nothing Corbynista about it. WW2 killed something under half a million Brits. A 1% mortality rate for this disease would exceed that.

Simple numbers....

Night night!
    Just convenient timing that you are trotting it out now.

Care to speculate on the death toll for the other courses of action?
  • Options
    Exactly why it should have been called the Wuhan flu from the start.
  • Options

RobD said:

Simple numbers....

Night night!
    Moron.
  • Options

I don't know what you think you're responding to.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,055

Apparently it is also good to infect the nation. If you comment on the 1% - 3% mortality rate then you are, apparently, an idiot.

It turns out that the tory interest in eugenics wasn't just a passing fancy.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Apparently it is also good to infect the nation. If you comment on the 1% - 3% mortality rate then you are, apparently, an idiot.

Why would PB Tories be interested in killing off their client voter base?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I've changed my opinion of Tomas Pueyo after watching that interview, in an unfavourable direction.
  • Options

I don't know what you think you're responding to.
    You frequently criticise the UK Johnson Government for not following Asian models like Japan and Korea - but ignore the fact that the UK and Singapore (possibly the most successful of the three) approaches are very similar. Which suggests to me your criticism is more driven by dislike of the UK Johnson government than what it is doing compared to other countries.
  • Options
  • Options

the UK and Singapore (possibly the most successful of the three) approaches are very similar

???
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This might sound frivolous but I wonder where all the people who are normally on cruises are going to go. A lot of them probably rent our their homes to other people while they're supposed to be on the cruises. We're talking about tens of thousands of people who might have a problem organising accommodation. (Not very important in the scheme of things of course, compared to coronavirus itself).
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    More Triage seems closer to fascism than Less Triage. The government's strategy was one that works from the (reasonable?) assumption that infection is inevitable, so how do we avoid More Triage? Spanish Flu came in three winter peaks! No thanks.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    If anyone has any idea how to make the horrible thing go away and never come back now's the time to speak up though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I've changed my opinion of Tomas Pueyo after watching that interview, in an unfavourable direction.
    The full segment is in this video starting around 10 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C98FmoZVbjs
  • Options
    What are the chances this will please the something must be done!!! crowd?

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1238589554342461440?s=20
  • Options

the UK and Singapore (possibly the most successful of the three) approaches are very similar

???
    What do you see as the differences?

Singapore hasn't closed schools, for example.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Dura_Ace said:

kyf_100 said:

How does PB feel about making up with enemies old and past, including family members?

Never. I have a list.
    So does everyone else.

And you're on it.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Dura_Ace said:

A few people on here are showing their nasty side. This strategy, right or wrong, clearly comes from the scientific and medical positions in government. The desire to make political hay out of this awful situation shows what low lives some people are.
  • Options
    The mortality rate is highly dependent on age. If you say lock away all the vulnerable people (70+, or 50+ with other issues) then the remaining 80% of the population will have a mortality rate far far below that of the population as a whole.

According to the China data the mortality rate of confirmed cases in U50s was about 0.2%, or sub 0.1% once you add the fact that young people seem to be big on the whole asymptomatic spreading thing.

So that's 60000000, half get infected, mortality rate of 0.1% = 30,000 deaths while herd immunity is acquired.
    If you make the assumption that this is in the wild, and that whenever lockdowns stop the virus will just come roaring back then the UK approach makes a lot of sense, and will save a lot of lives compared to the lockdown-growth cycle.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Thanks - Tomas comes out of full version even worse - turns out he does want to achieve herd immunity too....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    It seems Trump’s promise of a testing website from Google was made up.

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-donald-trump-google-website/
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

kyf_100 said:

How does PB feel about making up with enemies old and past, including family members?

Never. I have a list.
    So does everyone else.

And you're on it.
    After WWII the "Nazi Death List" for the UK in the event of invasion came to light - Communists, Trade Unionists, Labour MPs, homosexuals and so forth. Noel Coward was on the list and remarked "To think! The people I'd have been seen dead with."
  • Options
    edited March 2020

???

You've been focusing a lot on schools - like I've said before that's complicated, it's not really clear what the effects of closing them are, and it may vary from place to place.

Singapore stopped public events like a month ago, sent masks to every household, did a monster data-based contact tracing effort that is probably hard to do in a free society, banned travel from Italy 3 weeks ago and made returning citizens self-quarantine, have been doing temperature screening for months... I mean, the whole thing is totally different to what the British have done. A lot of it's probably not really practical for the UK, which is why I think SK and Japan are better models for what the British *could* be doing - and they are generally shambling along in that direction, but way too late.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Thanks - Tomas comes out of full version even worse - turns out he does want to achieve herd immunity too....
    He's too stupid to realise how stupid he is.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

???

banned travel from Italy 3 weeks ago and made returning citizens self-quarantine.
    The travel ban from Italy (and France and Germany), and self-quarantine starts on Sunday:

*From 11.59pm on Sunday (March 15), all new visitors who had been to Italy, France, Spain and Germany within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry or transit

*Also from 11.59pm on Sunday, Singaporeans and permanent residents who had been to Italy, France, Spain and Germany within the last 14 days will be issued a stay-home notice (SHN). This means they must stay home at all times for 14 days after returning to Singapore..

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/covid-19-singapore-rolls-out-more-measures-including-limiting-where-possible-the
  • Options
    The John Hopkins page doesn't seem to be as up-to-date as it used to be. It still has UK on 8, not 11 for instance.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The John Hopkins page doesn't seem to be as up-to-date as it used to be. It still has UK on 8, not 11 for instance.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I've noticed that too - I think this:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Is more current
  • Options

???

banned travel from Italy 3 weeks ago and made returning citizens self-quarantine.
    The travel ban from Italy (and France and Germany), and self-quarantine starts on Sunday:

*From 11.59pm on Sunday (March 15), all new visitors who had been to Italy, France, Spain and Germany within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry or transit

*Also from 11.59pm on Sunday, Singaporeans and permanent residents who had been to Italy, France, Spain and Germany within the last 14 days will be issued a stay-home notice (SHN). This means they must stay home at all times for 14 days after returning to Singapore..

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/covid-19-singapore-rolls-out-more-measures-including-limiting-where-possible-the
    That's an expansion of the existing Italy ban on travellers from northern Italy.

• Options
    Prof John Edmunds 10/10
    Tomas Pueyo 0/10
  • Options

???

That's an expansion of the existing Italy ban on travellers from northern Italy.

It seemed to me you were suggesting there was a complete ban three weeks ago.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

???

And I make March 4 ten days ago, not three weeks:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/covid-19-new-travel-bans-visitors-spore-recent-history-travel-iran-northern-italy-south
  • Options

RobD said:

???

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/covid-19-new-travel-bans-visitors-spore-recent-history-travel-iran-northern-italy-south
    My bad.
  • Options

RobD said:

???

My bad.
    UK government expanded travel warning from quarantined area to whole of Northern Italy 4 days later:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51795642
  • Options

RobD said:

???

My bad.
    UK government expanded travel warning from quarantined area to whole of Northern Italy 4 days later:

Can you see the difference between the responses? If you've come from anywhere in northern Italy you can't even get into Singapore unless you're a citizen or long-term resident, and if you are you have a temperature scan at the border, then give them your details and agree to 2 weeks of legally-mandated self-quarantine.

Meanwhile some days later the UK are advising people not to go *to* the specific areas that are under active lockdown unless they really need to, and if you come back from them you breeze back through the airport and there's unenforced advice to self-isolate.

I'm not saying that what Singapore did would necessarily have been practical for the UK but the idea that these two things are the same is not sensible.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Saudi Arabia suspends all international flights to kingdom

Saudi Arabia has suspended all international flights for two weeks, starting on Sunday, to prevent the spread of coronavirus, state news agency SPA said on Saturday, citing an official source at interior ministry.

Reuters reports the period will be considered as an exceptional official holiday for citizens and residents who are unable to return due to the suspension of flights or if they face quarantine after their return to the Kingdom, SPA cited the official as saying.

Saudi Arabia has reported 86 coronavirus cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-live-updates-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-school-shutdown-sport-events-cancelled-latest-update-news
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

???

My bad.

Can you see the difference between the responses? If you've come from anywhere in northern Italy you can't even get into Singapore unless you're a citizen or long-term resident, and if you are you have a temperature scan at the border, then give them your details and agree to 2 weeks of legally-mandated self-quarantine.

Meanwhile some days later the UK are advising people not to go *to* the specific areas that are under active lockdown unless they really need to, and if you come back from them you breeze back through the airport and there's unenforced advice to self-isolate.

I'm not saying that what Singapore did would necessarily have been practical for the UK but the idea that these two things are the same is not sensible.
    Indeed. I still think the government are along a too lax approach to international travel. I understand the slow spread theory but international travel doesn't lend to that approach.
  • Options

RobD said:

???

My bad.

I'm not suggesting they're identical - how could they be - one's a city state of 5.6 million, the other a country of 66 million - we'll see if Singapore (or the US) ever extends a travel ban to the UK, given the volume of business from both - but I do dispute that the UK "has done nothing" - the UK is doing plenty - and will do more - and a lot of what its doing strategically is similar to Singapore. Let's see how China and Italy do coming out of their lockdowns. And what Japan does after it gives up pretending the Olympics are going ahead.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

???

My bad.

Indeed. I still think the government are along a too lax approach to international travel. I understand the slow spread theory but international travel doesn't lend to that approach.
    What would you do? Ground all flights (Saudi, Kuwait)? Impose bans on recent visitors to certain states (the US, Australia) - but still let in your own nationals? Like "schools" there are plenty of simplistic answers, but few simple ones.

• Options
    edited March 2020

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

???

My bad.

What would you do? Ground all flights (Saudi, Kuwait)? Impose bans on recent visitors to certain states (the US, Australia) - but still let in your own nationals? Like "schools" there are plenty of simplistic answers, but few simple ones.

The second option. Ban all foreign visitors from hot zones and implement mandatory quarantine for all returning British citizens/residents, even if it means opening up large temporary quarantine centres.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited March 2020
    Number of US cases up much more yesterday:

Cases up 769 to 2,466
    Deaths up 9 to 50

Number of new US cases:

9 Mar -106
    10 Mar - 163
    11 Mar - 290
    12 Mar - 307
    13 Mar - 396
    14 Mar - 769 (number may not be final)

(All per worldometer)
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    LucyJones said:

Went to watch my daughter play in a youth orchestra earlier this evening. Talking to the lady next to me while waiting for it to start and between pieces.
    About half way through I happened to mention that I would need to dash off very quickly at the end of the concert, as I had somewhere else to go (just so I wouldn't seem rude). To which she replied that she would need to leave quickly too, to go back and check on her husband, who has been tested positive for Corona virus! Asked if he was ill, and apparently after two days of feeling really rough he is starting to feel better.
    I sat next to this person for an hour who is almost certainly a carrier and it seems odds-on that I will probably get it next week. Plus who knows how many people sitting around.

How many other people are walking around knowing that they are probable carriers? Why is the messaging not getting through?

I'm a little envious of you. I think I'd quite like to get it.
This discussion has been closed.