Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Page not found

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

So my exams have officially been cancelled and replaced with “e-exams” or “coursework”. Be interesting to see how this affects grades...

You can always come on PB and ask us for help with the answers ;-)
    Pity the poor bugger that has to mark that after we've all had our twopenneth worth!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,875

If they want that graph to have impact then the second Asian peak in light blue needs to be bigger than the UK one.

Otherwise it looks like they're just going to get what we're going to get but much later, which will beg the question why we don't do the same*.

(*I appreciate economic damage hasn't been mapped onto this which would be lower in the UK scenario in any event)
    Yes if you overlay the graph with normal flu cases on top, and a line showing max NHS capacity then the UK policy makes more sense.
  • Options
    tyson said:

algarkirk said:

I think that and related questions are why Boris has been slow to be the one to ban things/close things/stop things. He is letting them do it themselves so he is not the one who has to make the call to start them up again.
    And it is working.
    Slower than it should have, and loads of people with stupid bosses are still working at the office because the PM won't lead. The optimistic case for the UK is that it ends up doing basically the same as Japan, because everybody ignores the government.
    I do not accept that.

Boris stark warning this week has really cut through and everyone seems to be talking about safeguarding themselves and of course sport worldwide has been cancelled in the last few days and in so doing attendances. I expect the grand national to be cancelled

And each week the schools are open ten of thousands carry on earning without total disruption to their lives

Boris following advice is spot on.

Can you imagine if he had called it against the advice. No I do not accept your view on this
    You hear the advice you want to through the prism of your ideology....

Do you think a Labour PM- more statist, likely to believe that the state can be a power for good, more rooted in public services....was likely do what Boris did?

Nonsense.

I hear the two most important experts in the field who are up front in the media providing the advice Boris is accepting

This is not a political response, I would expect Starmer to do the same

Indeed Cobra includes Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster from across the political divide

This is not my political ideology or indeed any ology
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178

tyson said:

algarkirk said:

I think that and related questions are why Boris has been slow to be the one to ban things/close things/stop things. He is letting them do it themselves so he is not the one who has to make the call to start them up again.
    And it is working.
    Slower than it should have, and loads of people with stupid bosses are still working at the office because the PM won't lead. The optimistic case for the UK is that it ends up doing basically the same as Japan, because everybody ignores the government.
    I do not accept that.

Boris stark warning this week has really cut through and everyone seems to be talking about safeguarding themselves and of course sport worldwide has been cancelled in the last few days and in so doing attendances. I expect the grand national to be cancelled

And each week the schools are open ten of thousands carry on earning without total disruption to their lives

Boris following advice is spot on.

Can you imagine if he had called it against the advice. No I do not accept your view on this
    You hear the advice you want to through the prism of your ideology....

Do you think a Labour PM- more statist, likely to believe that the state can be a power for good, more rooted in public services....was likely do what Boris did?

I think a Labour PM would have followed the advice of his CMO and CSO.

I even think Jeremy Corbyn would have.

And that is to their credit.
    It is to their credit that you think they would do that?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    TGOHF666 said:
    That's only because people are comparing our numbers with Italy's. When the body count rises, opinion will shift.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

tyson said:

Floater said:

So - my son just sent me a bunch of pictures from Sainsbury's

Every shelf stripped bare, even the freezer section.

The only things I could see were certain kids breakfast cereals

Where was that - and how big a branch was it?

Our big Tesco had certain sections that had been stripped by locusts this evening, but most of the shelves were still reasonably stocked. In the other supermarkets, everything still available in varying quantities except for dried pasta and bog rolls.
    I went to my Sainsbury's this lunch time.....it was like a war zone...still I managed to source some Pringles, spinach, garlic and wine
    Maybe it's something weird about Sainsbury's?!?!
    Insanesbury's....
    Worse in madsda.
  • Options

I've got a mate who's maintenance manager at a posh country house hotel and restaurant. They just about tick over on the rooms and covers, but the big money, the money that really keeps them afloat, comes from events and weddings during the summer. They've got circa a quarter of a mill in weddings alone booked up until September. The weddings are starting to get cancelled by nervous couples. He thinks the hotel will be bust by July.

There are a whole range of industries where if you cant run for three months with zero income you are in deep trouble. Lets hope for a hot summer.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Boris has done well this week. He has taken a big political risk to follow the scientific advice and used his communication skills to cut through.

That deserves respect. Boris has been a class A malignant shit over Brexit, but on this so far, so good.

I can only hope that behind closed doors the government is scrutinising the advice it is getting.

Full credit to you for those remarks
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited March 2020
    Jonathan said:

Boris has done well this week. He has taken a big political risk to follow the scientific advice and used his communication skills to cut through.

That deserves respect. Boris has been a class A malignant shit over Brexit, but on this so far, so good.

I can only hope that behind closed doors the government is scrutinising the advice it is getting.

I am super critical of most politicians, but I can't even start to imagine what the pressure is like at the moment. We aren't talking about spaffing money on a silly bridge idea or whether to put on extra buses.

I only hope we can go back to taking the piss out of them for going to Gregg's or getting stuck on a zip wire sooner rather than later.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

All of them?
  • Options
    Floater said:

We're all going to die
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Floater said:

We're all going to die
    Coco pops aren’t that bad
  • Options
    edited March 2020

tyson said:

Floater said:

Our big Tesco had certain sections that had been stripped by locusts this evening, but most of the shelves were still reasonably stocked. In the other supermarkets, everything still available in varying quantities except for dried pasta and bog rolls.
    I went to my Sainsbury's this lunch time.....it was like a war zone...still I managed to source some Pringles, spinach, garlic and wine
    Insanesbury's....
    Worse in madsda.
    Wait til we've all been co-oped up for weeks on end....
  • Options

Floater said:

We're all going to die
    True, true.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,424
    edited March 2020

TGOHF666 said:
    That's only because people are comparing our numbers with Italy's. When the body count rises, opinion will shift.
    Not at all. Nobody in the street is comparing numbers, that is for political geeks.

The public heard his frank warning and are responding

I see no reason to believe HMG ratings will not even improve as long as they follow the advice which the public seem to accept
  • Options
    What do people think will be the last stockpileable foodstuff to depart the shelves?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Floater said:

We're all going to die
    I’m afraid so, I hope this is not news.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    glw said:

Had a slightly odd psychological experience on that issue this evening.

In the supermarket I saw a big pallet of carex liquid hand wash being placed on the shelves.

Now I've not seen any of that for a few days (the posh brands and bar soap have always been available) and I really, really had a yearning to buy some.

I don't need to buy any more soap as I've got plenty and as I said there is always other types available.

But I still had that yearning to buy carex liquid hand wash because I hadn't seen any for a few days.

I didn't though.

What gets me is that shelves are bare of soap in dispenser bottles, and the empty shelves are right next door to shelves full of shower gel, body wash, and bath oils, all of which would be just as good for cleaning your hands. Shampoo and conditioner are in good supply still, and even washing up liquid will do if needed.
    'hands that do dishes need Fairy'
  • Options
    So, the chief scientific officers and chief medical officers in the rest of Europe. Bunch of fuckwits are they?

I guess they must be if ours are so brilliant in their advice.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2020

Jonathan said:

I am super critical of most politicians, but I can't even start to imagine what the pressure is like at the moment. We aren't talking about spaffing money on a silly bridge idea or whether to put on extra buses.
    It’s hard to imagine the pressure he’s under, and you have to feel for him. He’s getting the best possible scientific advice and sticking with it; against the pub bore nonsense saying we “should” do this or that (Piers Morgan I’m looking at you). And yet that advice might yet be wrong - he has to live with that. Every night. It would be so much easier for him to just do what everyone else is. Perhaps that “Mayor in Jaws” quote was prescient.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Jonathan said:

All of them?
    I do not want to be churlish
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Floater said:

We're all going to die
    Coco pops aren’t that bad
    At my age I select the single serve box of Bran Flakes in the hotel not Coco Pops
  • Options

So, the chief scientific officers and chief medical officers in the rest of Europe. Bunch of fuckwits are they?

Well fuck 'em, they'll have to wait until the transfer window opens.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

What do people think will be the last stockpileable foodstuff to depart the shelves?

Spam?
  • Options

tyson said:

Floater said:

Insanesbury's....
    Worse in madsda.
    I won't be Budgen from the sofa.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Trump saying they are considering adding the UK to tonight’s travel ban (not clear when)

Sounded like it was only being considered because a UK journalist asked the question saying things were getting worse in the UK. Not sure if I should be annoyed at her for that or grateful for reducing the number of potential Americans coming over if the situation in the US continues to deteriorate.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

The front page of tomorrow's Times is a bit 'Threads'

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1238582836279627779

I'm genuinely caught in two minds which was more terrifying - Threads, or When The Wind Blows?

Right now is not the time to rewatch and decide...
  • Options

“Rest of Europe”? Apart from the countries that agree with us? And ignoring that action may be based on stages of advancement in the virus spread? And that some may be being overuled by the politicians?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    Jonathan said:

A calculated risk is being taken that exposing large numbers to the virus in the expectation the overwhelming majority will suffer no consequences will ensure future outbreaks are limited as large numbers will be immune.

The problem is those with pre-existing health conditions and other vulnerable individuals may be put at greater risk by coming into contact with those carrying the virus whose movements remain unrestricted.

IF the healthy start suffering adversely in large numbers, that strategy will be seen to have been in error and of course Boris can blame the experts and if it works he can take the credit so it's a case of heads I win, tails I also win.

Those countries who have opted for lock-down may be able to reduce further infection in the short term but by not exposing the mass of the population to the virus risk a renewed outbreak next winter once restrictions are lifted - assuming of course the virus returns as it has this year.

I think it's now impossible to avoid severe economic dislocation in the short to medium term - longer term there will be a revival of activity but there will be business casualties and confidence may be the first (after Flybe).
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Those tins of beans and sausages, or Fray Bentos pies? Vegan milk?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Pek
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

Obviously this doesn't prove it one way or the other, but do you not think the others are - err - herding?
  • Options

alex_ said:

No such thing as vegan milk.....
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Trump saying they are considering adding the UK to tonight’s travel ban (not clear when)

Sounded like it was only being considered because a UK journalist asked the question saying things were getting worse in the UK. Not sure if I should be annoyed at her for that or grateful for reducing the number of potential Americans coming over if the situation in the US continues to deteriorate.
    It was 100% made up on the spot, because he also wibbled about removing some countries currently on the list. No expert advice would be advocating this.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    alex_ said:

Polenta.

Given the Italian lockdown we might not see much dried pasta for months.

Though you can still buy lots of fresh pasta with a use by data of mid April.
  • Options

I'm genuinely caught in two minds which was more terrifying - Threads, or When The Wind Blows?

Threads is so bleak, even watching it as an adult I was freaked out.

Apparently Reagan was deeply troubled by the US equivalent 'The Day After' which is very tame compared to Threads.
  • Options

HMG is not responsible for other countries

HMG is responsible to the UK and to follow the advice it is given

If they did not, you would be the first one to kick off
  • Options
    I wonder also if some politicians in the “rest of Europe” who are being told to crash their economies on scientific advice may be wishing they had our advisers?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I expect we may see rationing of some form introduced
  • Options

alex_ said:

Really? That’s good news I love beans and sausages!
  • Options

alex_ said:

Polenta.

Given the Italian lockdown we might not see much dried pasta for months.

Though you can still buy lots of fresh pasta with a use by data of mid April.
    Maybe this is why the nudge unit think the country can't last 3 months in lockdown...dried Fusilli for 90 days straight is going to get bloody boring quickly.
  • Options

tyson said:

Floater said:

Insanesbury's....
    Worse in madsda.
    Wait until you go a Lidl bit stir crazy....
  • Options

In Spain 3 days ago they shut the schools and universities - result masses of people decamped from areas of high to areas of low infection - we are now in two weeks of lockdown with numbers way worse than the UK. Stop talking partisan bollox and thank your lucky stars where you are!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

It's not necessarily the case that any of these individuals is deficient. None of them knows everything, they're probably all giving well-reasoned advice, and we're only going to know which ones have made the right call when this is all over.

As hard as this will be for some people after what's happened over the last few years, they might wish to think twice about automatically assuming that British advice on this matter is better than that available in continental Europe, or vice-versa, just because one set of people providing it don't inhabit the EU and the others do.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,031

Sandy is beyond reason I am afraid. He is also factually incorrect given there are a number of other countries following the same basic idea as the UK. Germany and Sweden are the two most obvious examples.
  • Options
    For herd immunity to work do we need 60% infection of under 60s by next winter? That would mean about 1m per week but somehow keeping vulnerable group infections close to zero. Sounds a tough sweet spot to hit.
  • Options

Well fuck 'em, they'll have to wait until the transfer window opens.
    Internationally speaking, our CMO would have won the Ballon d’Or. At least twice.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Really? That’s good news I love beans and sausages!
    I once insisted, aged about five, that for the school harvest festival, we had to take beans WITH SAUSAGES.

If I ever get round to writing it, the autobiography of my childhood will be titled "Chipolatas for Jesus" And only you, dear reader, will know why.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    alex_ said:

I wonder also if some politicians in the “rest of Europe” who are being told to crash their economies on scientific advice may be wishing they had our advisers?

They had to crash their economies because they left it too late to do what is now happening in Britain, much of it in spite of the PM - cancelling events, working from home etc. Hopefully the British still have time to avoid going into full production-stoppage lockdown mode but there's going to be a lot of growth in the next couple of weeks before we start to see results.
  • Options

I'm happier following the advice of the Dutch government.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,488

There are a lot of unknowns so it's not surprising that different experts will make a different judgement call.

It's possible that a better global outcome would be achieved if everyone decided on a single common approach. You might imagine some sort of global medical association that would play that role...
  • Options
    felix said:

In Spain 3 days ago they shut the schools and universities - result masses of people decamped from areas of high to areas of low infection - we are now in two weeks of lockdown with numbers way worse than the UK. Stop talking partisan bollox and thank your lucky stars where you are!
    Whilst I agree in general, can the effect really have resulted from a change 3 days ago. The question that isn’t being addressed is whether other countries are being quite so rigid as the U.K. in trusting their experts.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

There are a lot of unknowns so it's not surprising that different experts will make a different judgement call.

It's possible that a better global outcome would be achieved if everyone decided on a single common approach. You might imagine some sort of global medical association that would play that role...
    Who might that be?

Don't worry, I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Guardian article about banning of mass gathering say in the bill on Monday there is provision for government compensation for cancellations.

Also, it states a mass work from home is going to be deployed shortly.

Again, I wonder if legal issues have complicated this announcement?
  • Options

For herd immunity to work do we need 60% infection of under 60s by next winter? That would mean about 1m per week but somehow keeping vulnerable group infections close to zero. Sounds a tough sweet spot to hit.

If a million people have it, tens of millions will have it the following week.
  • Options

It would clobber anything where people need a lot of looking after - hospitals, old people's homes, daycare...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Obviously this doesn't prove it one way or the other, but do you not think the others are - err - herding?
    Well they aren't at odds with the WHO
  • Options

Guardian article about banning of mass gathering say in the bill on Monday there is provision for government compensation for cancellations.

As we were discussing earlier, there’s something to be said for waiting long enough that this stuff starts to happen anyway and you know you have consent. Sounds like a nudge unit thing to do.
  • Options

Perhaps they are worried about Gina Miller sticking her oar in? :p
  • Options

They have different situations. They have not (afaik or anyone has quoted on here) directly criticised the UK approach for the UK. The situation in many of the countries you are recommending we follow is significantly worse than it is here. Perhaps our team have got it right so far? Perhaps we will have similar actions when we reach a similar stage as them?

This is going to be bad. Not because of politicians, medics or scientists, but because its a once in a generation tough challenge we are not used to. We need to work as a team not try and sow discord.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Who might that be?

Don't worry, I'll get my coat.
    Coat? Why? Where do you think you're going pal? You're in lockdown....
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    edited March 2020

This herd theory has all the philosophy of some kind of eugenic, cull- infect the entire population, kill off the oldies and the sick and we'll come through it with the master race who are Covid resistant.....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874
    edited March 2020
    That peak to get "herd immunity" requires a near 60% infection rate, below that and it is not herd immunity, it is sacrificial cows.

That 60% level means about 43 million British getting it, and even at 1% mortality that is nearly a half a million dead before their time.

There are other assumptions:

1) that herd immunity will be protective against a mutated Coronovirus.

2) that a second wave will happen, and there will not be a benign mutation so that the disease fades away

3) that no effective treatment or vaccine is available before the second wave hits.

If any of these 3 assumptions are wrong, there will be a much worse outcome for Britons than countries doing more aggressive measures.
  • Options
    isam said:

twitter.com/telefootball/status/1238592178336784384?s=21

Disgraceful...only fair all matches null and void.
  • Options

alex_ said:

They had to crash their economies because they left it too late to do what is now happening in Britain, much of it in spite of the PM - cancelling events, working from home etc. Hopefully the British still have time to avoid going into full production-stoppage lockdown mode but there's going to be a lot of growth in the next couple of weeks before we start to see results.
    So Britain’s doing pretty well then? How lucky.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    I had a lovely, if small, book on the London Mayoralty. Such is life

Strange situation - I work from home anyway, so no problem there... but my work is betting on live sport! 😳
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    alex_ said:
    That is a good article, it shows why the naive comparisons and suggestions that there is a right or wrong approach are oversimplifications.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

tlg86 said:

Well they aren't at odds with the WHO
    Whilst we're in Monday morning QB mode, I'll tell you what would have been better: A total shutdown of global travel when it all kicked off in China.

But we are where we are and I think we have to accept that it is out there and now it's about damage limitation.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Almond milk?
  • Options
    isam said:
    Their position in the league does make that decision an easy one no one can object to; but the Champion’s League spots are going to be tricky to sort out. The Man City ban may help I guess.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

As we were discussing earlier, there’s something to be said for waiting long enough that this stuff starts to happen anyway and you know you have consent. Sounds like a nudge unit thing to do.
    There is definitely a lot more going on than we know about. The egg-heads made it clear today this plan of action has been in the works since the start of January, it isn't just a knee-jerk reaction.

Perhaps they expected most other European countries to have a similar plan and given the tragic events in Italy have gone the politically less painful route which is shut everything down immediately.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903

"Mass gathering" will mean all weather race meetings will continue unaffected. At the midweek Kempton floodlight meetings they announce the crowd changes to the jockeys.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

My wife is a teacher. She has really struggled with motivating herself to do all the pathetic garbage at school which even at the best of times is pathetic garbage. We are hoping the education establishment sees sense

Blimey. We are having multiple religious experiences right now. That’s asking for a miracle on a par with the raising of Lazarus.
    If you've seen Ofsted's statement to Schoolsweek this afternoon, I wouldn't be optimistic. It's shameful stuff.
    I haven’t, but I find it all too easy to imagine.
    https://twitter.com/Rosemarycalm/status/1238539833330581504
    Policy papers are supposed to be clear and straightforward. Do you want to beat around the bush so there could be confusion?
    The point is Charles it is not even a question that should arise for so many reasons. It is not the clarity that is at fault, it is the basic premise.
    Given that schools are vectors for just about every virus that crops up, and there is no WFH for teachers, keeping them open, at a time the government is pursuing ‘herd immunity’ via infection, puts teachers directly in the firing line without choice.

If I were a teacher over the age of fifty, I’d be seriously pissed off, to put it mildly.
    I’m sleeping about three or hours maximum. My physical and mental health are crumbling.

If they don’t announce changes, such as exemptions and the choice to work remotely, I think there will be a revolt.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not sure the herd immunity is planned to be achieved in one go. It is a multi year strategy. It is still true that the more that are immune before the first winter, the better.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

felix said:

Whilst I agree in general, can the effect really have resulted from a change 3 days ago. The question that isn’t being addressed is whether other countries are being quite so rigid as the U.K. in trusting their experts.
    I live here in Spain and yes we are now in lock down and a state of emergence 3 days after the government closed the schools and universities. Many Spanish from the big cities have second homes in the Costas and many have arrived in the past few days with young kids off school in tow. Many students kicked out of universities have returned home to their families. My real point which some of the thickpos on here really don't get is that there are no right answers any more - the best you can get is less wrong answers. Here in Spain we are a spit away from martial law. Believe me you don't want that any sooner than necessary.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Almond milk?
    Not milk....
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020

Threads is so bleak, even watching it as an adult I was freaked out.

Apparently Reagan was deeply troubled by the US equivalent 'The Day After' which is very tame compared to Threads.
    The thing about Threads is it's a downer, but you know all along - because they rub this in so you're left in no doubt at any point - that it's a downer. You are never under any illusion that "oh, this is nice, at least everything's going to get better from this point". Whereas When The Wind Blows is all Raymond Briggs children's-picture-book animation with a lovely old couple in a quaint house who could be your favourite aunt and uncle, and moments of human warmth and nostalgia and humour and optimism, but you're also completely aware (even when they aren't) that they're dying a hideous death while having been lied to successively by their politicians, jingoistic newspapers and even British culture's patriotic, un-self-critical self-image and "we'll muddle through" mentality. Although it's "just a cartoon", The tone of When The Wind Blows sucks you into a more traumatising emotional journey and I thought the political satire and cultural critique in it was more cutting. Threads is grisly, but for me I mostly found it a series of grisly practicalities.

Anyone want to pass comment on the original Survivors ("It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel. Referred to as "The Death", the plague kills approximately 4,999 out of every 5,000 human beings on the planet within a matter of weeks of being released")?
  • Options
    tyson said:

This herd theory has all the philosophy of some kind of eugenic, cull- infect the entire population, kill off the oldies and the sick and we'll come through it with the master race who are Covid resistant.....
    But anti Brexit?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

Not sure the herd immunity is planned to be achieved in one go. It is a multi year strategy. It is still true that the more that are immune before the first winter, the better.
    I'm guessing it is all in one go.
  • Options
    RobD said:

So how high is the peak these graphs are estimating for the uk? If were getting say 30m cases the peak week has to be over 1m doesnt it? If 1% need ICU are we just about coping?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    stodge said:

"Mass gathering" will mean all weather race meetings will continue unaffected. At the midweek Kempton floodlight meetings they announce the crowd changes to the jockeys.
    Yes, I’m quietly confident for my County Cricket membership too. Me and the other member can have a stand each. T20 and one day might have an issue but that happens later on.
  • Options
    Walking in the garden tonight, the smell of spring is definitely in the air. The trees and shrubs are flowering, you never know, Covid-19 might have turned up too late
  • Options

alex_ said:

Almond milk?
    'Plant based' 'milk'.

Although, soy milk is quite good in tea if you're stuck.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

That peak to get "herd immunity" requires a near 60% infection rate, below that and it is not herd immunity, it is sacrificial cows.

That 60% level means about 43 million British getting it, and even at 1% mortality that is nearly a half a million dead before their time.

There are other assumptions:

1) that herd immunity will be protective against a mutated Coronovirus.

2) that a second wave will happen, and there will not be a benign mutation so that the disease fades away

3) that no effective treatment or vaccine is available before the second wave hits.

If any of these 3 assumptions are wrong, there will be a much worse outcome for Britons than countries doing more aggressive measures.
    There is also,

3 b) Best practice isn't established that radically reduces mortality rates. At the moment, nobody has any idea what to do, it is total guesswork. It may well be that as time goes on, even without a particular new treatment, that certain things are a definite no-no and others you need to deploy at a day x, rather than day y.

3 c) instant testing, so we can screen at airports and contract trace far better.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ukpaul said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

My wife is a teacher. She has really struggled with motivating herself to do all the pathetic garbage at school which even at the best of times is pathetic garbage. We are hoping the education establishment sees sense

Blimey. We are having multiple religious experiences right now. That’s asking for a miracle on a par with the raising of Lazarus.
    If you've seen Ofsted's statement to Schoolsweek this afternoon, I wouldn't be optimistic. It's shameful stuff.
    I haven’t, but I find it all too easy to imagine.
    https://twitter.com/Rosemarycalm/status/1238539833330581504
    Policy papers are supposed to be clear and straightforward. Do you want to beat around the bush so there could be confusion?
    The point is Charles it is not even a question that should arise for so many reasons. It is not the clarity that is at fault, it is the basic premise.
    Given that schools are vectors for just about every virus that crops up, and there is no WFH for teachers, keeping them open, at a time the government is pursuing ‘herd immunity’ via infection, puts teachers directly in the firing line without choice.

If I were a teacher over the age of fifty, I’d be seriously pissed off, to put it mildly.
    I’m sleeping about three or hours maximum. My physical and mental health are crumbling.

If they don’t announce changes, such as exemptions and the choice to work remotely, I think there will be a revolt.
    I very much hope you found a way to balance your health needs and your teaching obligations.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Almond milk?
    Not milk....
    Nicer than milk in my opinion
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    alex_ said:

tyson said:

But anti Brexit?
    Do not mention Brexit...takes me back to those romantic, halcyon, innocent days when we were bickering about John Bercow's bias......now we are talking about how we flatten the curve and save tens of thousands of lives.....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908

tyson said:

Floater said:

Insanesbury's....
    Worse in madsda.
    Wait until you go a Lidl bit stir crazy....
    Spending Aldi at home
  • Options
    John Ashworth supporting the government's position despite Newsnight presenter (who?) prodding him not to.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

That would make more sense from the numbers, not heard a govt source suggest it yet though. Perhaps too depressing.
  • Options
    isam said:

alex_ said:

Almond milk?
    Not milk....
    Nicer than milk in my opinion
    Yup. But oat is better in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    geoffw said:

John Ashworth supporting the government's position despite Newsnight presenter (who?) prodding him not to.

Ashworth has generally been very grown up and asked sensible questions e.g. in relation to sick pay.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

So Britain’s doing pretty well then? How lucky.
    Yes, it's hitting Britain later - part luck (distance from both Wuhan and the North Italian cluster etc), and part that the early testing/containment was pretty good. It should have been in a much better position to handle it than China, then Korea, then Japan, then Italy.

But it seems like every developed country that hasn't had a previous recent fail (SARS or Crown Princess) then fails to use that time. It's particularly infuriating with the UK because we've got to watch how all these similar countries are failing, but then still insist on sticking to the old plans and failing the same way.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    stodge said:

It might give a boost to various smaller clubs / grounds / sports.

https://twitter.com/frickleyafc/status/1238428771541278720
  • Options

isam said:
    Their position in the league does make that decision an easy one no one can object to; but the Champion’s League spots are going to be tricky to sort out. The Man City ban may help I guess.
    Liverpool's win will always be tainted.

"They didn't win it properly...."

Won't it, TSE?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Ashworth deserves plaudits for generally doing the right thing and not the easy thing on this for weeks. I presume he’s been given good briefing and is a sound bloke.
This discussion has been closed.