Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s problem is that the vast majority of voters, including

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    kle4 said:

Does anyone have a link to the 7? amendments to be voted on tonight please?

These?
    https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/parliament-next-steps-brexit

Also shows the nonselected ones.
    Ah thanks. I had the link but hadn't spotted the right-hand column, doh!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

The role of Govt. in this is quite horrifying. Trashing businesses. Started 2008, on Labour's watch. Carried on through the Coalition, so no party political point-scoring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47047699

That’s absolutely shocking, especially the internal emails. Will rightly cost hundreds of millions in compensation.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    If Cooper fails by one, the absence of the MP for Peterborough could have proved crucial to Brexit....
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    dr_spyn said:

What is the point of electing MPs, if they devolve hard decisions to an undefined Citizens' Assembly?

https://twitter.com/stellacreasy/status/1090321148347383808

This proposal is barking.

I agree. It is ridiculous.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    kle4 said:

Does anyone have a link to the 7? amendments to be voted on tonight please?

These?
    https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/parliament-next-steps-brexit

Also shows the nonselected ones.
    Here is a good write up. Shows the order.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/29/amendments-to-may-statement-brexit-bill
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Who is the MP reading the results out. I always wonder at PMQ's as she is prominent in the camera angel?

TIA.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Corbyn Amendment 296 For 327 Against so on party lines, same likely with Blackford then it gets interesting
  • Options

One of the main revelations of last night's excellent BBC programme on the subject was the genuine sadness amongst the EU representatives when the referendum result came through. I was also surprised at just how much flexibility that had shown in their negotiations with Cameron. They were genuinely trying to help him.

I agree with the sadness bit. Though the reasons for that sadness were not perhaps what you thought they were. I disagree entirely on the question of their flexibility. They gave away nothing at all. Not that they necessarily should have done but they certainly didn't help Cameron and the overriding impression they gave was one of annoyance with democracy in action.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

John Rentoul predicts the Brady amendment will be defeated, he earlier predicted the Cooper amendment will pass

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1090276755871547397

Betfair thinks he's wrong on both counts.
    Rentoul has crunched the numbers in quite some detail in his tweets, Betfair is guesswork
    Any cabinet ministers supporting Cooper ?
    Abstaining I expect
  • Options

If Cooper fails by one, the absence of the MP for Peterborough could have proved crucial to Brexit....

Yup, I'll have lost a fiver on Betfair. Will never forgive her.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Who is the MP reading the results out. I always wonder at PMQ's as she is prominent in the camera angel?

TIA.

Leadsom as Leader of the House maybe?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I'm backing Cooper on Betfair, might as well try and make money out of this farce.
  • Options
    SNP motion about to be walloped lol
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Yup, I'll have lost a fiver on Betfair. Will never forgive her.
    You are a very unforgiving sort
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

One of the main revelations of last night's excellent BBC programme on the subject was the genuine sadness amongst the EU representatives when the referendum result came through. I was also surprised at just how much flexibility that had shown in their negotiations with Cameron. They were genuinely trying to help him.

I agree with the sadness bit. Though the reasons for that sadness were not perhaps what you thought they were. I disagree entirely on the question of their flexibility. They gave away nothing at all. Not that they necessarily should have done but they certainly didn't help Cameron and the overriding impression they gave was one of annoyance with democracy in action.
    Cameron made mistake after mistake after mistake. Leaving the EPP was a costly error, with no upside.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Caroline Lucas has just used my "pointing a gun at your own head" analogy.

EDIT: Here it is again in full

My analogy is a person pointing a gun at their own head and threatening to pull the trigger and spatter the other side with blood if they don't get their own way. They are probably bluffing but they might not be, or might accidentally pull the trigger, particularly as some who are not in the line of fire are egging them on. Letwin believes it is reckless behaviour and not to be tolerated.

A little tasteless given yesterday’s news

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wsbradio.com/news/national/louis-police-officer-killed-colleague-died-during-game-russian-roulette-authorities-say/AX8aiSm1zLKen8wXgrlUWO/amp.html
    A little tasteless to go searching for that story to try undermine an important issue here in parliament.
    A story that hasn't even made the national use here in the US (at least not this morning's breakfast news).
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

John Rentoul predicts the Brady amendment will be defeated, he earlier predicted the Cooper amendment will pass

Rentoul has crunched the numbers in quite some detail in his tweets, Betfair is guesswork
    Abstaining I expect
    Names will be noted. Perfidious cowards.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They are the Billy no mates party in Westminster.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    edited January 2019
    Pulpstar said:

I'm sure they'll be heartbroken. What do they care if they look isolated at Westminster?
  • Options
    Lock the doors !

Must say Bercow has a good set of lungs on him.
  • Options

Indeed. I was a Remain supporter throughout the negotiations I know a number of other people who switched in part due to the negotiations failure.

The comments the other day were Tusk smugly said how he had told Cameron the referendum was a mistake was very hubristic.
  • Options
    What are the odds on every amendment failing tonight?
  • Options
    Pushing the EU line that convicts should get the vote?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

What are the odds on every amendment failing tonight?

You should have tried to get an accumulator!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If she’d taken the Chiltern Hundreds when she was convicted, Peterborough might have had an MP to represent them tonight. Even Chris Huhne was honourable enough to do that.

(Edit. Or this is a joke, and the correct answer is that she should get her brother to do it for her, or maybe the Russian tenant?).
  • Options

Well, she is "in confinement".
  • Options
    Winning tellers stand to the right always, didn't know that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Caroline Lucas has just used my "pointing a gun at your own head" analogy.

EDIT: Here it is again in full

My analogy is a person pointing a gun at their own head and threatening to pull the trigger and spatter the other side with blood if they don't get their own way. They are probably bluffing but they might not be, or might accidentally pull the trigger, particularly as some who are not in the line of fire are egging them on. Letwin believes it is reckless behaviour and not to be tolerated.

A little tasteless given yesterday’s news

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wsbradio.com/news/national/louis-police-officer-killed-colleague-died-during-game-russian-roulette-authorities-say/AX8aiSm1zLKen8wXgrlUWO/amp.html
    A little tasteless to go searching for that story to try undermine an important issue here in parliament.
    It was in the times this morning

I don’t like people using violent analogies for political discourse. It debases us all
  • Options

Fake news, the Hirst case was nothing to do with the EU.
  • Options
    I was wrong Plaid like the SNP.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    SNP motion trounced 39 to 327, Labour and LDs abastained.

Grieve amendment up now
  • Options

Indeed. I was a Remain supporter throughout the negotiations I know a number of other people who switched in part due to the negotiations failure.

The comments the other day were Tusk smugly said how he had told Cameron the referendum was a mistake was very hubristic.
    Thank goodness events have proved Tusk wrong.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

It rather removes the suspense once you learn, doesn't it? :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Eastenders on record

Holby on record
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Abstaining I expect
    How do you write so many posts while permanently toting a pitchfork?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Wonder if any MPs are on Betfair with their "live pics" lol
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    _Anazina_ said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Abstaining I expect
    How do you write so many posts while permanently toting a pitchfork?
    He puts the heads on a pike, it leaves one hand free to type with.
  • Options
    2 Labour tellers for the Grieve amendment
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL, courtsiding in Parliament!

Robert @rcs1000 should add the Commons to CrowdScores ;)
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Graham Brady Old Lady has added preciously zero value to proceedings. What a chump.
  • Options

Thank goodness events have proved Tusk wrong.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Didn’t know ch4 were showing this live, calling their coverage the secret lives of 5 year olds seems a bit harsh though.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Barnesian said:

dr_spyn said:

What is the point of electing MPs, if they devolve hard decisions to an undefined Citizens' Assembly?

I’m particularly bemused that Stella Creasy, one of the brightest stars on the Labour benches, is behind it.
  • Options
    So do MPs want Grieve's extra six sitting days do we reckon?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited January 2019
    This really is a ridiculous way of conducting Parliamentary business. Not too bad when you have one big vote, but when you have 7 ......... jeez it's slow.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

This really is a ridiculous way of conducting Parliamentary business. Not too bad when you have one big vote, but when you have 7 ......... jeez it's slow.

And there’s more than another hour of it to go. 14 minutes between divisions so far.
  • Options
    Surely Grieve should give a good indication of Cooper??
  • Options
    Andrew said:

They have the time. Brexit may not have much time, but taking 15-20 minutes to vote on a measure, however slow, is not going to affect anything.
  • Options
    So far nothing has changed.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

dr_spyn said:

I’m particularly bemused that Stella Creasy, one of the brightest stars on the Labour benches, is behind it.
    Being the brightest white dwarf on the Labour benches isn't saying much....

Talking of which - ladies, an Earth-sized diamond!

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2014/06/remarkable-white-dwarf-star-possibly-coldest-dimmest-ever-detected
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Thank goodness for that, I cannot abide change.
  • Options
    Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Though if Cooper amendment passes it will likely be back again

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788
    dr_spyn said:

It's actually quite clever. They're subcontracting their entire job function back to their employers whilst keeping their salary and getting their employers to pay them for the privilege.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2019
    This reminds me of when the Commons was voting on Lords reform a few year ago. There were about 10 different options and they were all rejected, even though a majority of MPs favoured change of some type.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited January 2019
    HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?
  • Options
    So MPs vote for holiday. Who knew.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited January 2019

Barnesian said:

dr_spyn said:

Even Hubble couldn't find any talent on the Labour benches.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    That’s a substantial margin. Not looking hopeful for Cooper.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Quisling Grieve has gone down!
  • Options
    No Deal here we come!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

We have been joking about Peterborough MP but it could actually come down to 310-311

What happens if its 310-310???
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

This reminds me of when the Commons was voting on Lords reform a few year ago. There were about 10 different options and they were all rejected, even though a majority of MPs favoured change of some type

Different that these ones, as a few did get support in the commons at least?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_of_the_House_of_Lords#Votes_of_March_2007
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    kinabalu said:

Good.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?
    As obviously if there is a Brexit extension and no change to the backstop position from the EU MPs will have to take control
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

We have been joking about Peterborough MP but it could actually come down to 310-311

Bercow does whatever pisses off the government the most.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Bercow decides
  • Options
    Presumably Grieve will moan about the government ignoring parliament even after his own amendment was not backed by parliament?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited January 2019

TIA.

Wendy Morton, Government whip I think
  • Options
    If Cooper's amendment fails, it will be a rare moment of sanity in the whole sorry process.

How can it not pass then?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?
    As obviously if there is a Brexit extension and no change to the backstop position from the EU MPs will have to take control

The Tories are about to vote for a No Deal Brexit! Jeremy Corbyn could never have imagined this. His dream is going to come true!

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Bercow decides
    But by convention he votes to keep the status quo so would presumably vote No
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Betfair seems to think Cooper is about 20%ish.

I wonder if you could look out for abstainers on Parliament TV and get a clue from that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?
    Yes - vote for the deal - it has been hiding in plain sight
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Please dont use the same phrase if Cooper loses

A picture in my head will compound my financial loss

Although worst case is now -80
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Bercow decides
    what is the status quo on an amendment to a radical change to the UK's future?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Bercow breaks Speaker Dennison's Rule.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL, courtsiding in Parliament!

Robert @rcs1000 should add the Commons to CrowdScores ;)
    I picked off 16 pence @ 1.02 on Grieve :D
  • Options

No Deal here we come!!!

The key is the Cabinet, plenty of whom and senior Ministers oppose No Deal, if they had resigned and voted for Grieve it would have passed, as may also be the case with Cooper.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

You are Theresa May, and I claim my fiver.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Bercow decides
    He doesn't like precedent and has openly admitted not thinking about longer term consequences to not following it. He would probably follow convention in the event of a tie, but his temperament suggests there is the possibility he would do otherwise.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?

The Tories are about to vote for a No Deal Brexit! Jeremy Corbyn could never have imagined this. His dream is going to come true!

Maybe. Depends what the government does when it, again, fails to secure changes.
  • Options
    BF now almost certain that Brady passes. But whose votes? Labour abstentions and almost a perfect Tory whip?
  • Options
    Can't believe this amendment is going to fail after all the hype lol
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    If any of our learned friends are in how on earth did Onasanya get 3 months - with the texting as well - when her brother got 10 months when pleading guilty?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?

Unless Corbyn commits to EUref2 with a Remain option, Labour Remainers defecting to the LDs will make his dream become a nightmare
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

If any of our learned friends are in how on earth did Onasanya get 3 months - with the texting as well - when her brother got 10 months when pleading guilty?

She's a role model.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?

Though if the Brady amendment passes, it is the EU who will have delivered No Deal.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Bercow decides
    You think Bercow would stick to convention?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris_A said:

She's a role model.
    she loses a lot more going to prison
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?
    Yes - vote for the deal - it has been hiding in plain sight

That is unlikely to happen unless No Dealers fear BINO or EUref2 unless the Deal passes
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TIA.

Wendy Morton, Government whip I think
    Thank you very much.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Grieve Amendment fails

Votes for 301
    Votes Against 321

Why and how ?

Though if the Brady amendment passes, it is the EU who will have delivered No Deal.

Good luck with that!!

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Should shut Peoples Voters up at least.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945

BF now almost certain that Brady passes. But whose votes? Labour abstentions and almost a perfect Tory whip?

Are there actually lots of Labour MPs away?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Are there actually lots of Labour MPs away?
    There's only one been put away.

Oh.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    squeaky bum time for snowflake...
This discussion has been closed.