Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s problem is that the vast majority of voters, including

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited January 2019
    Cooper Amendment

For 298
    Against 321

Cooper also fails, 3 MPs who voted for Grieve abstained on the Cooper vote
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Tories think they've got this one.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Another one down, by 321-298.
  • Options
    Hopefully if all these amendments fail it might at last concentrate MPs minds
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

squeaky bum time for snowflake...

Maybe, but even if it is lost the government is only potentially winning by offering unicorns. It cannot continue.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

Cooper Amendment

For 298
    Against 321

Cooper also fails

Good.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Parliament takes back control.....Remainers don't like it..
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Grim.
  • Options
    That groan of "do we have to do this?" on Reeves amendment
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Scott_P said:
    Should shut Peoples Voters up at least.

How does an MP abstain. Is it as simple as not voting, or can they walk through a lobby and spoil their paper?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
  • Options
    Brexit means Brexit....
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Parliament takes back control.....Remainers don't like it..

LOL 😁
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Worsen
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Wow didnt expect Cooper to lose by that much. If the Brady amendment passes it will be a rare recent moment of the Tories coming together in the national interest. Lots of work to do but today is a big step forward for May no matter what noises are coming out of Brussels.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Scott_P said:

Who could've foreseen that "Corbyn coming off the fence" wouldn't be enough to magically make a Brexit outcome happen.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

squeaky bum time for snowflake...

Maybe, but even if it is lost the government is only potentially winning by offering unicorns. It cannot continue.
    At least it makes clear that there are no other options that parliament will agree to.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The one thing that hasn't been voted on.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

How does an MP abstain. Is it as simple as not voting, or can they walk through a lobby and spoil their paper?
    The formal way to abstain in person is to walk through both lobbies.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Evening all I don’t see how these votes change very much. It is either May’s deal, no deal or revoke and remain. The EU say they will not reopen the negotiations. The only way I think they would consider changes is after a General Election which resulted in a majority and united government.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    The pound taking a bit of a bath.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hopefully if all these amendments fail it might at last concentrate MPs minds

The mood will be the opposite, for today at least.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Could you please take me through the thought process where an MP would think delaying Brexit by a few months would be disrespectful to Leave voters, but overturning Brexit altogether would be fine.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Do you seriously think it will pass with Cooper/Grieve failing this evening ?

No chance.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    edited January 2019
    HYUFD said:

John Rentoul predicts the Brady amendment will be defeated, he earlier predicted the Cooper amendment will pass

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1090276755871547397

Betfair was right on Cooper.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

That'll teach them to believe Rentoul.....
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    One thing is clear tonight -we are leaving one way or another. Remain is finished
  • Options
    Goddamn Newcastle - why will nobody do Liverpool any more favours?
  • Options
    Crickey cooper amendment not close.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

One thing is clear tonight -we are leaving one way or another. Remain is finished

I mean this is obviously not the case.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm amazed the margin Cooper/Grieve have failed by to be fair. The Labour rebels are a hell of a lot quieter than the Tory remainers.. but they come out and break the whip lol
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2019
    Looks like a trip to costco to stockpile is in order!

Don’t want to be forced to have to drink boxed wine in a couple of months....
  • Options
    @ChukaUmunna

There is no point claiming you are opposed to a ‘no deal’ Brexit if you are not prepared to will the legal means to stop it happening. Non-binding motions are not the same as legally binding laws. The Cooper and Grieve amendments addressed this. A bad day for Parliament.

Awwwww….. poor Chuka...demanding that Parliament should run things, then moan when the loss is there.
  • Options
    Good riddance. If Remainers want to take no deal off the table they can back the f###ing deal or back an alternative deal like the Brady amendment.

If the EU wants to avoid no deal they can agree to the stipulations of the Brady amendment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    I have to admit I was wrong. I thought Cooper would pass.
  • Options
    Is there any point to this Reeve amendment being voted on now :?!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

kjohnw said:

There is definitely no majority for it in Parliament. I'd expect a second ref amendment to get voted down by an even bigger margin than these two.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Goddamn Newcastle - why will nobody do Liverpool any more favours?

Because no football fan outside of Merseyside would want to see Liverpool win the league!
  • Options
    Hey Labourites....that May deal wasn't looking so bad now was it?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm amazed the margin Cooper/Grieve have failed by to be fair. The Labour rebels are a hell of a lot quieter than the Tory remainers.. but they come out and break the whip lol

how quickly do we find out who they are?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

There is definitely no majority for it in Parliament. I'd expect a second ref amendment to get voted down by an even bigger margin than these two.
    Doesn’t matter. No Deal is simply not an option.
  • Options

Panic buying of popcorn.....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com
  • Options

Indeed. They had the fucking chance to avert no deal. Idiotic posturing means we will sleepwalk into no deal.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

100% my MP John Mann will be 1 lol
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,237

As I have been saying for months, to much derision from friends... fill your basements/lofts with food urgently.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

On the contrary, it is the default option and Parliament has just reaffirmed that tonight.
  • Options
    Maybe displacement activity as performance art isn't quite as popular as Cooper thought.

Her amendment was prima facie absurd. I'm glad it's dead.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

How so?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Sean_F said:

The resolve of the Tory party to tie together when they are in the shit is impressive.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

On the contrary, it is the default option and Parliament has just reaffirmed that tonight.
    Whatever helps you sleep at night.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788
    Danny565 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Could you please take me through the thought process where an MP would think delaying Brexit by a few months would be disrespectful to Leave voters, but overturning Brexit altogether would be fine.
    You see, where you went wrong there was using the words "thought process" and "MP" in the same sentence.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

If they do that do they count in both vote tallies or neither vote tally?
  • Options
    Must be very frustrating for Mrs May. You can't but admire her patience. She's been telling the children for yonks that There Is No Alternative and that the only way to avoid No Deal is to, err, back the deal that is available. And yet we have to go through this charade yet again.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

Yep. We are crashing out.

There is no way the EU will renegotiate the backstop into some kind of meaningless crap about IT generated non border checks.

Thanks Tories and Northern Labour MPs. You own No Deal Brexit now.

Good luck...
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    Labour are going to get a lot of flack. The Tories will squeek through, but what a reckless shambles. Utterly utterly dreadful. This is going to end with blood on the streets.
  • Options
    So Brussels - how is that No Deal Brexit looking down your end of the telescope?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Sean_F said:

The resolve of the Tory party to tie together when they are in the shit is impressive.
    It doesn't get them out of the shit, of course. We're still Nothing Has Changed-ing closer to that cliff edge one day at a time.
  • Options
    I've been saying for a while that No Deal was a 75%-80% chance of happening, I think I was lowballing it.
  • Options

So Brussels - how is that No Deal Brexit looking down your end of the telescope?

Less bad then it looks down our end
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

It doesn't.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Must be very frustrating for Mrs May. You can't but admire her patience. She's been telling the children for yonks that There Is No Alternative and that the only way to avoid No Deal is to, err, back the deal that is available. And yet we have to go through this charade yet again.

Cooper and Grieve have at least shown there is no will in parliament to block Brexit. A useful service, even if it will have cost me £40 on Betfair :open_mouth:
  • Options
    gypsumfantasticgypsumfantastic Posts: 258
    edited January 2019

Or remain, of course. Odd that you forgot that option.
  • Options
    This just raises the stakes when May comes back with little or nothing in a fortnight.
  • Options

As I have been saying for months, to much derision from friends... fill your basements/lofts with food urgently.
    When it comes to trips to Costco, Mrs urquhart needs no special encourage to do so.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited January 2019

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

He happens to be correct. Merely because it is an option you and I don't want to see taken doesn't mean it isn't what's going to happen unless a positive decision is taken for another course of action.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

How so?
    It's not no deal?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Riley Vote fails

Ayes 290
    Nos 322
  • Options

'Revoke', as we call it. Yes, but there's no majority for that either.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This just raises the stakes when May comes back with little or nothing in a fortnight.

This is the whole game. Push May to the cliff edge, slowly but steadily, by any means necessary.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

No. Talking to people like children and having zero political imagination is reason why there is no alternative.
  • Options

How would remain or a second referendum make it through the house?
  • Options
    Am I right in saying that with Cooper/Grieve's amendments falling, if Brady's amendment passes and the EU refuses to reopen the WA, then the Remainers in parliament will have no choice but to vote for May's deal to avoid No Deal?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

He happens to be correct. Merely because it is an option you and I don't want to see taken doesn't mean it isn't what's going to happen unless a positive decision is taken for another course of action.
    I just don’t believe that the adults in Parliament will allow it to happen in the end. It just would be career suicide to oversee the collapse it would entail.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Says the woman who turned her back on her constituents to enter a reality TV show! :)
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Look at Bercow's face...absolutely distraught.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Yep. I was right to take some nice profits on my post-Xmas position this morning.

I still think no deal isn't going to happen and therefore there is considerable medium term upside on £/$
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Fenster said:

Am I right in saying that with Cooper/Grieve's amendments falling, if Brady's amendment passes and the EU refuses to reopen the WA, then the Remainers in parliament will have no choice but to vote for May's deal to avoid No Deal?

They can still vote to call May's bluff and push her to the edge of the cliff.
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

I just don’t believe that the adults in Parliament
    I've spotted a flaw here...
  • Options
    Can we change the rules of the tellers?

They draw lots to see who stands which side. We know the result the minute they stand in front of the speaker.
  • Options
    Spelman Vote up now opposing No Deal, last chance for Remainers
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Fenster said:

Possibly...but feel May's deal (and the EU deal) as it was is dead.

Edit: But it may rise like a Phoenix from the ashes, or like a zombie..
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Neither, but are recorded as having been present and abstained, as opposed to being absent for a vote.

One assumes that it’s polite to communicate what you’re doing to the tellers, so as not to mess up their tallies.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

The point is to count in both, so people can see you have voted.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I've been saying for a while that No Deal was a 75%-80% chance of happening, I think I was lowballing it.

Do you not think that at the last moment the goverment might blink? Obviously they have to pretend they won't, but I find it hard to believe they are sanguine about crashing out.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

May needs to bring another Meaningful Vote again in two weeks. If/when she loses that by another thumping majority, the whole cycle repeats.

Nothing Has Changed.
  • Options

Maybe displacement activity as performance art isn't quite as popular as Cooper thought.

Her amendment was prima facie absurd. I'm glad it's dead.

Sure, but we're still no closer to an outcome, even if the Brady amendment passes. How long before they are back to voting on the vanilla deal? And if that, whynot redoing something else?

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

Yep. We are crashing out.

There is no way the EU will renegotiate the backstop into some kind of meaningless crap about IT generated non border checks.

Thanks Tories and Northern Labour MPs. You own No Deal Brexit now.

Good luck...
    What struck me most about the later Brady amendments and the Malthouse plan is that it seemed like it was moving further from something they EU might accept. I know the EU don't want a time limit at all, but say one was proposed of 10 years as a the price for ending this shambles, it'd probably still fail but it looked at least plausible to me. I looked at the Malthouse plan and it looked like a confusing mess.
  • Options
    Gov't majority growing lol
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Fenster said:

Possibly...but feel May's deal (and the EU deal) as it was is dead.
    What happens next if that's the situation?
  • Options
    Personally, I think the Deselection Hammer is going to start bearing down on quite a few of the Labour rebels, so if there's a future vote on extending A50 then I think it could be closer - but, to get a majority, it will need significant numbers of Tory MPs, and expecting them to have the guts to do it is the biggest "unicorn" of all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Do you seriously think it will pass with Cooper/Grieve failing this evening ?

No chance.
    Yes, it was withdrawn because it wouldn't pass this evening. That doesn't mean it hasn't a chance when the stakes are higher in Meaningful Vote: the sequel.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Yes but the Brady amendment is irrelevant as the EU will reject it, if May's Deal is to pass it will be as is with the backstop
  • Options

Fenster said:

Sean_F said:

It doesn't get them out of the shit, of course. We're still Nothing Has Changed-ing closer to that cliff edge one day at a time.
    yeah, of course.. but they've pulled together to avoid an immediate calamity (and a likely GE).
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019
    Jonathan said:

No. Talking to people like children and having zero political imagination is reason why there is no alternative.
    It really isn't. The reason there is no alternative is that in accordance with the Lisbon Treaty and after a two-year negotiation the UK government and the EU have formally agreed a 500+ page Withdrawal Agreement which the EU aren't willing to change, as they've been telling anyone who asks for weeks. Perhaps in some parallel universe there might have been a different Withdrawal Agreement, but it's not obvious how or why, and it ain't available in this universe.
  • Options

Fenster said:

They can still vote to call May's bluff and push her to the edge of the cliff.
    To what end, there is no majority for any kind of remain option in Parliament. Wollaston decided not to even bother tabling the second referendum amendment because it would only get a 150 or so votes.
This discussion has been closed.