Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s problem is that the vast majority of voters, including

Comments

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    The Brady amendment appears to have rattled all the right people. I bet Ian Dunt has steam coming out of his ears! Long way to go but this feels like a huge step forward given some of the shambolic scenes recently.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2019

Frankly I hope Europe tells “us” to piss off.

I'm up for starting a remainer enclave in Brittany. Any takers? We'll secede from the UK as soon as poss, natch.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What did Corbyn achieve by not talking to May for a couple of weeks? Nothing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Artist said:

Only a small number of Tory rebels said the backstop was the main problem with the deal.

The hope would be even though you are right it is not the only or main problem, it is enough of an additional concession to give cover for people to switch to backing the deal to avoid a crash out. But it relies on things outside of our power, which is concerning to say the least
    Sandpit said:

PM is going back to Brussels to try and renegotiate the backstop. Good luck Theresa!

She already tried that!

I am surprised that the 'reject no deal' non binding vote did not lose by more. It's being sold as the clearest indicator of parliament rejecting no deal, but it was pretty close.
  • Options
    I am really surprised at tonights votes and it would be churlish to deny TM has had a good day
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

A good day in the office for May. Off she goes unicorn hunting.

A better one for Corbyn. The Tories have either voted for a No Deal Brexit which they will own completely or in the next fortnight they are going to fall apart.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Ian Blackford making a right part of himself.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Blackford accuses the Tories of ripping apart the Good Friday Agreement but May must take measures to respect Commons vote against No Deal
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    I would tell him I’m busy.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266
    dr_spyn said:
    It would be possible to say Theresa May was the most hapless politician alive, if we had not frequent occasion to compare her to Jeremy Corbyn.

(With apologies to F E Smith.)
  • Options
    N O T H I N G
    H A S
    C H A N G E D
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Blackford really is a ***t

He will be joining his wife outside of Parliament after the next GE!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

I am really surprised at tonights votes and it would be churlish to deny TM has had a good day

Only in the sense that her P45 remains in draft.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Hmm, I wonder whether if May gives ground on negotiating the future relationship in talks with Labour whether that would be enough for Labour not to vote against the Deal?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Sandpit said:

PM is going back to Brussels to try and renegotiate the backstop. Good luck Theresa!

Will she even get on the aircraft, or will the EU scupper it before she sits down in the Commons?
    She'll go anyway. Just for the TV pics.
    She wants one of those priceless images of the 27 against the 1.

She should take Boris with her - to hold one of those giant comedy cheques for £39,000,000,000.00

"Let's look at what you could have won..."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    39 votes Blackford lol
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Brom said:

TGOHF said:

Trying to blame ‘no deal’ on remainers is just hilarious. Just utterly ridiculously laughable.

It's up the the EU now - do they want a deal ?
    It's absolutely a realistic concession/renegotiation for the EU to make. If they won't even take another look at it then they're as complicit as the most awkward factions within parliament in allowing no deal to happen.
    And they have 39 billion reasons to at least discuss if they want to regetotiate, or if they would prefer to have no deal, no backstop and no money.
    Parenthetically, at this level money is meaningless. They own the bank. They can just inflate the Euro and let money illusion plug the gap.
    Hmm, it's quite a bit more difficult for the EU to do that.
    You know more about this than I do, but I remember the chaos around 2010-11 when they were just throwing institutions and funds together, all acronyms beginning with "E", to cope with the Greece not-a-default and associated shrapnel. I didn't know whether to be impressed or horrified.
    That was real money. The ECB had a substantial QE programme which has just ended, however EU funding is based on real money, it can't sell Euro denominated EU debt to the ECB which will pay for it with printed money. The effectiveness of the ECB QE programme hasn't been clear from the start, especially since many of the gains have been seen by Northern European nations rather than Southern European nations.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Pulpstar said:

39 votes Blackford lol

His constituency vote next time? :lol:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Ticking off for Blackford by Bercow lol
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Sandpit said:

Will she even get on the aircraft, or will the EU scupper it before she sits down in the Commons?
    They said they would make an official statement tonight, didn't they?

I wonder what it will say.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    Scott_P said:
    So Bev_C, I think about five minutes is your answer.

• Options
    The ERG have played a blinder. Once Theresa is humiliated by the EU, Rees-Mogg, the sly old fox, can stand up and proclaim that he was right about everything: both the EU's intransigence and Theresa's ineptitude. What a man. That will do wonders for his standing and his career.
  • Options
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    That did not take long. Tessie is still in her seat in the HoC

So... that is the Brady amendment dead too.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Beyond farcical ...
  • Options
    No. May has promised so many people that it won't happen that it won't happen.
  • Options
    Nigel Dodds full on attack against Blackford
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

No. May has promised so many people that it won't happen that it won't happen.
    :lol: x 10
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2019
    I'd just like to point out that according to the legislation.gov.uk database, Section 1 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act, which repeals the European Communities Act on "exit day", has not yet been commenced so it is not the law of the land that the ECA is to be repealed.

(Unless anyone can show that the database is not up to date.)
  • Options
    Tusk throwing a wobbly! Tough shit mate, its deal or no deal (although Merkel will tell Tusk exactly what he can and cant do).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Brom said:

Tusk throwing a wobbly! Tough shit mate, its deal or no deal (although Merkel will tell Tusk exactly what he can and cant do).

You are literally insane.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2019
    In 10 years time, we will be happy as an Associate Member of the EU. We will be joined by many other countries, loosely bound to the EU -- Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden.

There will be a tight core of Eurozone Countries, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France. This will be the EU proper. And there will be a whole bunch of looser Associate Members.

The destination is clear -- all that remains to be decided is just how we get there.

Perhaps it has to be a painful No Deal, then a gradual rapprochement. Perhaps it has to be Remain for now, and then sulky, dog-in-the-manger disengagement.

In 10 years time, all that has happened tonight will be seen as unimportant froth and wind.

True, by then, WilliamGlenn, Meeks and Andrew Adonis will be gibbering in an asylum, driven mad by Brexit. And by then, SeanT will be using a Zimmer frame but still bragging about his latest shag.

Yet, the rest of the country will be content, at last, with a sustainable and comfortable relationship with the EU.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Commons in student union mode tonight, voting against bad stuff, but not voting to do anything about it.

I think that's very unfair. Aberystwyth Students' Union did pass one good law, back in 1967.
    My favourite was New College JCR buying the freehold of the college and then swapping it for the contents of the SCR’s wine cellar
  • Options
    Basically we have to go through this all again in mid February.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

39 votes Blackford lol

Deutsche Banker......
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2019
    Big move on Betfair from 4.8 to 3 on exiting by 29th March over the last couple of hours.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.130766060
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The government voted against its own policy which it has repeatedly reiterated is the only option on the table.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

She should take Boris with her - to hold one of those giant comedy cheques for £39,000,000,000.00

:D
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Everything clear as mud as per sodding usual then
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,804
    MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Brom said:

TGOHF said:

Trying to blame ‘no deal’ on remainers is just hilarious. Just utterly ridiculously laughable.

It's up the the EU now - do they want a deal ?
    It's absolutely a realistic concession/renegotiation for the EU to make. If they won't even take another look at it then they're as complicit as the most awkward factions within parliament in allowing no deal to happen.
    And they have 39 billion reasons to at least discuss if they want to regetotiate, or if they would prefer to have no deal, no backstop and no money.
    Parenthetically, at this level money is meaningless. They own the bank. They can just inflate the Euro and let money illusion plug the gap.
    Hmm, it's quite a bit more difficult for the EU to do that.
    You know more about this than I do, but I remember the chaos around 2010-11 when they were just throwing institutions and funds together, all acronyms beginning with "E", to cope with the Greece not-a-default and associated shrapnel. I didn't know whether to be impressed or horrified.
    That was real money. The ECB had a substantial QE programme which has just ended, however EU funding is based on real money, it can't sell Euro denominated EU debt to the ECB which will pay for it with printed money. The effectiveness of the ECB QE programme hasn't been clear from the start, especially since many of the gains have been seen by Northern European nations rather than Southern European nations.
    To be honest, I think it would be rewarding if I asked you to go thru the detail. There are many experts on here which it would be good to learn from. But unfortunately tonight is not a good time. But thank you for trying to explain it to me.
  • Options

Brom said:

Says the people's vote supporter who's had a nightmare day. Nevermind.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Commons in student union mode tonight, voting against bad stuff, but not voting to do anything about it.

I think that's very unfair. Aberystwyth Students' Union did pass one good law, back in 1967.
    In 1996 they voted to ban KitKats from being sold in the Union’s shop. That takes some beating.
    Powdered milk i assume?
  • Options
    PM to stand up next week and announce it’s her original deal or no deal then?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Basically we have to go through this all again in mid February.

I think nfl red zone still edges it on the excitement stakes.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

I’m not a supporter of a people’s vote as it would just be full of half truths and lies once more. I want parliament to just revoke Article 50 and be done with it.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jezza wants it and the EU want to punish us..........

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

In 1996 they voted to ban KitKats from being sold in the Union’s shop. That takes some beating.
    Powdered milk i assume?
    Indeed.

My first introduction to petty student politics.
  • Options
    3 Labour MPs voted for No Deal, Hoey, Stringer and Hepburn and Independent ex Labour MPs Field and Hopkins.

17 Tories though voted for the Spelman amendment against No Deal

https://twitter.com/isaby/status/1090351153873866752?s=20
  • Options
    Terrible day for Theresa. The humiliation of grovelling to the EU for a second chance in the fully knowledge that it's already doomed will be agonizing. When will Boris start measuring up the Number Ten curtains?
  • Options
    Brom said:

They'll no deal. Unfortunate. But they are even more stubborn than we are, even to the point of causing what they claim not to want. Because they could reopen things if they wanted, everyone knows the EU loves last minute fudges. It's a choice not to.Perhaps reasonable, but their reasoning has been pretty weak, especially when they complain about it being agreed. It wasn't agreed by Parliament and they know that.

But at what point will MPs believe the EU? May told them they won't reopen things and they didn't believe it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

PM to stand up next week and announce it’s her original deal or no deal then?
    One imagines, however, I think they will meet with her at least and tell her no in person.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

:D
    You forget to take Nigel's retirement pension off the figure.

There is no way he is missing out on EU largesse.
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

I’m not a supporter of a people’s vote as it would just be full of half truths and lies once more. I want parliament to just revoke Article 50 and be done with it.
    Yes revoke Article 50 and that will be done with it. That's not a solution to a problem, that's just pure unicorn stuff by people who never leave their bedroom.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Yes revoke Article 50 and that will be done with it. That's not a solution to a problem, that's just pure unicorn stuff by people who never leave their bedroom.
    Right...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jezza wants it and the EU want to punish us..........

If you say that in a Gollum voice, it fits... :(
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I really don't understand why they simultaneously ask us what we want, given we all know it is deal or nothing. There's nothing to talk about.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The government voted against its own policy which it has repeatedly reiterated is the only option on the table.
    The government has finally chosen to do what I've consistently called for since November. It's the only sane choice.

The EU will be pissed off but they now face a real choice. If they want a deal then lets get a proper compromise which is what should have been agreed originally. If they don't then for the first time I think No Deal could happen and it will be entirely their fault and not May's.
  • Options

Terrible day for Theresa. The humiliation of grovelling to the EU for a second chance in the fully knowledge that it's already doomed will be agonizing. When will Boris start measuring up the Number Ten curtains?

The Tories are either going to deliver us a No Deal or they are going to split.

• Options
    Anorak said:

I'm up for starting a remainer enclave in Brittany. Any takers? We'll secede from the UK as soon as poss, natch.
    Umm Brittany hasn’t been affiliated to Britain for a while now?
  • Options

In 10 years time, we will be happy as an Associate Member of the EU. We will be joined by many other countries, loosely bound to the EU -- Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden.

There will be a tight core of Eurozone Countries, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France. This will be the EU proper. And there will be a whole bunch of looser Associate Members.

The destination is clear -- all that remains to be decided is just how we get there.

Perhaps it has to be a painful No Deal, then a gradual rapprochement. Perhaps it has to be Remain for now, and then sulky, dog-in-the-manger disengagement.

In 10 years time, all that has happened tonight will be seen as unimportant froth and wind.

True, by then, WilliamGlenn, Meeks and Andrew Adonis will be gibbering in an asylum, driven mad by Brexit. And by then, SeanT will be using a Zimmer frame but still bragging about his latest shag.

Yet, the rest of the country will be content, at last, with a sustainable and comfortable relationship with the EU.

You are Robert Tombs and I claim my five pounds (sterling obviously).
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857

How ? Please explain to me and everyone else how the Prime Minister has had a "good day"?

The Spelman amendment is meaningless and Brady little better. The EU have made their position abundantly clear this evening - the WA is not open for re-negotiation. We know that with some unspecified "changes" (basically getting rid of) the backstop the WA would pass - yes, that's not the WA on offer right now.

All I can see now is the Conservative spin machine getting ready to blame the nasty Europeans when May is sent back from Brussels with a flea in her ear having got the sum total of bugger all.
  • Options

Some spin there. Alastair Campbell could offer you a job. Renegotiation will be harder, but losing the Brady job will have left things looking twice as hard. As much as I dislike her, May has had a very good day. Corbyn blinking has capped it off.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

Can you blame them?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Brom said:

Surprised to see Jo Johnson didn't vote for Cooper's amendment. That's a bit of a blow to the People's Vote campaign.

Many of the People's Vote people think they need to let the pressure build so it's logical to avoid an extension at this stage.
    LOL - the peoples vote was never a runner.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

A good day for May actually as Parliament has voted down Grieve's amendment for any alternative Brexit proposals or potentially EU ref2, as well as voting down Cooper's amendment to extend Article 50 while voting for Spelman's amendment rejecting No Deal.

That leaves May's Deal as the only solution still left, if Brady's no backstop amendment is rejected by the EU that will prove the best way to avoid No Deal is to back May's Deal as stands
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    stodge said:

How ? Please explain to me and everyone else how the Prime Minister has had a "good day"?

The Spelman amendment is meaningless and Brady little better. The EU have made their position abundantly clear this evening - the WA is not open for re-negotiation. We know that with some unspecified "changes" (basically getting rid of) the backstop the WA would pass - yes, that's not the WA on offer right now.

All I can see now is the Conservative spin machine getting ready to blame the nasty Europeans when May is sent back from Brussels with a flea in her ear having got the sum total of bugger all.
    Yep. It was a good day for her in the sense the government won most of the votes, which was not certain by any means, but it hasn't actually moved toward a deal at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Clever stuff from Brady though - this was all about securing No Deal, but plenty of simple souls were duped into thinking it might help Theresa. In fact it was the knife that finally finished her off.
  • Options
    stodge said:

In which case the public will rightly blame EU intransigence for there being no deal. Good.

Or the EU sees sense and blinks. Good.

Either way: good.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

Brittany is the only example of a successful Welsh colony.
  • Options

stodge said:

In which case the public will rightly blame EU intransigence for there being no deal. Good.

Rule One: the government is to blame.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A good day for May actually as Parliament has voted down Grieve's amendment for any alternative Brexit proposals or potentially EU ref2, as well as voting down Cooper's amendment to extend Article 50 while voting for Spelman's amendment rejecting No Deal.

That leaves May's Deal as the only solution still left, if Brady's no backstop amendment is rejected that will prove the best way to avoid No Deal is to back May's Deal as stands

And the Tories split. From here it’s that or No Deal.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    I thought it was 8 JR Cannot even count

John Rentoul

Verified account

@JohnRentoul
    Follow Follow @JohnRentoul
    More
    Corbyn spoke of a "decisive" rejection of "no deal": the margin on the Spelman amdt was 2 votes

• Options

That would be truly Pyrrhic.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Powdered milk i assume?
    Indeed.

My first introduction to petty student politics.
    I always felt sorry for Nestle - it wasn’t their fault the water was contaminated
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266

Charles said:

Anorak said:

That's a Darien statement.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    They should swap the backstop with reentry.
  • Options

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Patagonia is on the phone. They'd like a word...
  • Options

I can't help thinking one of the words there is wrong.

• Options
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

Half of it's owned by Ex-pats. We'll just put a fence around that bit it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    stodge said:

stodge said:

It's a good day for May, because the Commons has begun taking decisions. It has closed off Remain as an option, and earlier closed off a second referendum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Brom said:

They'll no deal. Unfortunate. But they are even more stubborn than we are, even to the point of causing what they claim not to want. Because they could reopen things if they wanted, everyone knows the EU loves last minute fudges. It's a choice not to.Perhaps reasonable, but their reasoning has been pretty weak, especially when they complain about it being agreed. It wasn't agreed by Parliament and they know that.

But at what point will MPs believe the EU? May told them they won't reopen things and they didn't believe it.
    Why should we believe it? As you said these fudges always happen at the last minute so why should this time be any different?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Patagonia is on the phone. They'd like a word...
    Y Wladfa was a colony, but it was not successful.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

HYUFD said:

That leaves May's Deal as the only solution still left, if Brady's no backstop amendment is rejected that will prove the best way to avoid No Deal is to back May's Deal as stands

And the Tories split. From here it’s that or No Deal.

Not much of a split though. 15 MPs at most, but more likely 5 or less. It may or may not eventually be chronicled that tonight was the night that set the Conservatives on the way to electoral oblivion, but the Brady amendment proves they’re all willing to go down with the ship.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

They should swap the backstop with reentry.

Well if you're going to start talking dirty, I'm off... :)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Evening PB,

Much been happening this evening? :D
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    edited January 2019

HYUFD said:
    Clever stuff from Brady though - this was all about securing No Deal, but plenty of simple souls were duped into thinking it might help Theresa. In fact it was the knife that finally finished her off.
    Clever and Brady should only be seen in the same sentence if the only other options were Gapes and Socialism or May and Strong/Stable

Oh or Hodges and pundit
  • Options
    Backstop Shmackstop. Wise up folks. Labour and the ERG will vote down whatever Theresa comes back with, even in the unlikely event of the EU revisiting things. The No Dealers have victory within their grasp.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857

How are the EU being intransigent? It's not their problem our Prime Minister can't get the deal she agreed to through her own Parliament.

No doubt we're going to be subjected to the usual anti-European vitriol from the usual suspects if we leave without a Deal in 60 or so days.

This discussion has been closed.