Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s problem is that the vast majority of voters, including

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

I am really surprised at tonights votes and it would be churlish to deny TM has had a good day

How ? Please explain to me and everyone else how the Prime Minister has had a "good day"?

The Spelman amendment is meaningless and Brady little better. The EU have made their position abundantly clear this evening - the WA is not open for re-negotiation. We know that with some unspecified "changes" (basically getting rid of) the backstop the WA would pass - yes, that's not the WA on offer right now.

All I can see now is the Conservative spin machine getting ready to blame the nasty Europeans when May is sent back from Brussels with a flea in her ear having got the sum total of bugger all.
    In which case the public will rightly blame EU intransigence for there being no deal. Good.

Or the EU sees sense and blinks. Good.

Either way: good.
    Rule One: the government is to blame.
    Except that "The Governemnt" is our EU overlords*. That's why we will be prepared to suffer No Deal Brexit - to escape their evil clutches..... And blame them for all our subsequent ills. Vindictive bastards that they will be seen to be.

*says Hartlepool Man.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The Eu should start trolling by offering to remove the backstop in exchange for something even more hateful.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Terrible day for Theresa. The humiliation of grovelling to the EU for a second chance in the fully knowledge that it's already doomed will be agonizing. When will Boris start measuring up the Number Ten curtains?

She can carry on for another 11 months.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

3 Labour MPs voted for No Deal, Hoey, Stringer and Hepburn and Independent ex Labour MPs Field and Hopkins.

17 Tories though voted for the Spelman amendment against No Deal

https://twitter.com/isaby/status/1090351153873866752?s=20

Phew! I was getting a bit worried for a moment.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I am really surprised at tonights votes and it would be churlish to deny TM has had a good day

How ? Please explain to me and everyone else how the Prime Minister has had a "good day"?

The Spelman amendment is meaningless and Brady little better. The EU have made their position abundantly clear this evening - the WA is not open for re-negotiation. We know that with some unspecified "changes" (basically getting rid of) the backstop the WA would pass - yes, that's not the WA on offer right now.

All I can see now is the Conservative spin machine getting ready to blame the nasty Europeans when May is sent back from Brussels with a flea in her ear having got the sum total of bugger all.
    You are seeing right in terms of your last para imho.

Mrs May is seen by a sizeable part of the public to have gone above and beyond in trying to get her deal through. It is now the EU that will be seen by many of those people as having rejected that deal not a large part of the parliamentary Conservative party, egged on by an overwhelming part of the membership. She is putting the Conservative party in a position to fight a GE.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Commons in student union mode tonight, voting against bad stuff, but not voting to do anything about it.

I think that's very unfair. Aberystwyth Students' Union did pass one good law, back in 1967.
    In 1996 they voted to ban KitKats from being sold in the Union’s shop. That takes some beating.
    Powdered milk i assume?
    Indeed.

My first introduction to petty student politics.
    I always felt sorry for Nestle - it wasn’t their fault the water was contaminated
    It was their fault for everything else though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,019
    edited January 2019

HYUFD said:

Terrible day for Theresa. The humiliation of grovelling to the EU for a second chance in the fully knowledge that it's already doomed will be agonizing. When will Boris start measuring up the Number Ten curtains?

A good day for May actually as Parliament has voted down Grieve's amendment for any alternative Brexit proposals or potentially EU ref2, as well as voting down Cooper's amendment to extend Article 50 while voting for Spelman's amendment rejecting No Deal.

That leaves May's Deal as the only solution still left, if Brady's no backstop amendment is rejected that will prove the best way to avoid No Deal is to back May's Deal as stands

And the Tories split. From here it’s that or No Deal.

They won't split, unless a new centrist party is formed in the event of No Deal comprising the likes of Soubry and Tory Remainers and Umunna and Labour Remainers and the LDs or Brexit is revoked without a referendum, that is not impossible however 17 Tory MPs voted against No Deal but only 3 Labour MPs for No Deal suggesting anything could be on the table if May's Deal continues to be rejected
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Commons in student union mode tonight, voting against bad stuff, but not voting to do anything about it.

I think that's very unfair. Aberystwyth Students' Union did pass one good law, back in 1967.
    In 1996 they voted to ban KitKats from being sold in the Union’s shop. That takes some beating.
    Powdered milk i assume?
    Indeed.

My first introduction to petty student politics.
    Though banning kitkats from the Union shop is actually more consequential than voting against no-deal in principle, but not for a mechanism to avoid no-deal.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Sigh.

Feels like a very good set of results for Theresa May, and a terrible set for the country.

It really would help matters if the PM's interests and the country's interests weren't so far far apart. Alas.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Frankly I hope Europe tells “us” to piss off.

I'm up for starting a remainer enclave in Brittany. Any takers? We'll secede from the UK as soon as poss, natch.
    Umm Brittany hasn’t been affiliated to Britain for a while now?
    Can you blame them?
    We should charge royalties on the brand at least...
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    stodge said:

In which case the public will rightly blame EU intransigence for there being no deal. Good.

How are the EU being intransigent? It's not their problem our Prime Minister can't get the deal she agreed to through her own Parliament.

No doubt we're going to be subjected to the usual anti-European vitriol from the usual suspects if we leave without a Deal in 60 or so days.

I have some sympathy for the EU position but they are being a bit contradictory by running this line about “oh well the UK needs to tell us what it wants” and as soon as it tells them what it wants they turn around and say “well we’re not going to change anything.”
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286

Charles said:

Anorak said:

I'm up for starting a remainer enclave in Brittany. Any takers? We'll secede from the UK as soon as poss, natch.
    Brittany is the only example of a successful Welsh colony.
    And interestingly ancient historians are beginning to question that hypothesis. Perhaps celts spread up from Iberia by sea.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Just on a point of order. The EU are in unison saying that the Withdrawal agreement cannot be re-opened. Two days ago they were saying that the backstop could only be removed if the UK moved towards accepting a permanent customs union. So which is it? ;)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What does a backstop stop if a backstop stops?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Early in my career, a seasoned old diplomat told me that you know you have the right compromise when everyone is unhappy. On the other hand, the Devil's Dictionary defines compromise as something grown people agree to despite both knowing it to be wrong.

Wonder which version of compromise this Brexit will turn out to be ...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited January 2019
    What on Earth happened to Yvette? Two hours ago she was replacing Jezza as LOTO.

Now she's going back to her 70% LEAVE backing constituency in defeat? :D
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Half of it's owned by Ex-pats. We'll just put a fence around that bit it.
    Just line the stones up - that’ll do.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    alex. said:

Just on a point of order. The EU are in unison saying that the Withdrawal agreement cannot be re-opened. Two days ago they were saying that the backstop could only be removed if the UK moved towards accepting a permanent customs union. So which is it? ;)

They never said the backstop could be removed, but Juncker suggested it could be changed back to the EU's original NI-only version before May renegotiated it to be UK-wide.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

stodge said:

How are the EU being intransigent? It's not their problem our Prime Minister can't get the deal she agreed to through her own Parliament.

No doubt we're going to be subjected to the usual anti-European vitriol from the usual suspects if we leave without a Deal in 60 or so days.

I have some sympathy for the EU position but they are being a bit contradictory by running this line about “oh well the UK needs to tell us what it wants” and as soon as it tells them what it wants they turn around and say “well we’re not going to change anything.”
    The rolling shitshow in Parliament makes it difficult for anyone to credibly claim it's the EU's fault. Not that it will stop the usual morons from trying.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A good day for May actually as Parliament has voted down Grieve's amendment for any alternative Brexit proposals or potentially EU ref2, as well as voting down Cooper's amendment to extend Article 50 while voting for Spelman's amendment rejecting No Deal.

That leaves May's Deal as the only solution still left, if Brady's no backstop amendment is rejected that will prove the best way to avoid No Deal is to back May's Deal as stands

They won't split, unless a new centrist party is formed or Brexit is revoked without a referendum, however 17 Tory MPs voted against No Deal but only 3 Labour MPs for No Deal suggesting anything could be on the table if May's Deal continues to be rejected

They have to split - either formally or, more likely, become two parties in one. It’s that or No Deal.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    http://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1090355466859876352

Who of those would actually leave the Conservatives? Soubry, Allen, Wollaston, Sandbach maybe. That’s not a split, that’s a couple of defections.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    George Freeman voted for Cooper and against Spelman.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

viewcode said:

So Brussels - how is that No Deal Brexit looking down your end of the telescope?

I assume they will deal with it in the same way as they have dealt with every other UK proposal since Cameron's renegotiation: bemusement followed by refusal. Are you expecting something different?
    Frankly, yes. Past forms says something will happen in the final 48 hours of dealing with the EU. That needs No Deal still to be on the table - tick. Irish panicking - tick. Other heads of EU countries wondering "is it worth dying in a ditch for the backstop?" - tick.
    Having to be anxious when travelling on the tube again - tick
  • Options

http://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1090355466859876352

Who of those would actually leave the Conservatives? Soubry, Allen, Wollaston, Sandbach maybe. That’s not a split, that’s a couple of defections.

What happened to Jo Johnson?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

alex. said:

They never said the backstop could be removed, but Juncker suggested it could be changed back to the EU's original NI-only version before May renegotiated it to be UK-wide.
    Because the DUP would love that.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,819

Jonathan said:

Merzy totes and dozy dotes and liddle lambs i tivey, a kiddle i tivey too, wouldn't you.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    So - the backstop exists in case alternative arrangements cannot be made before the end of the transition period. And it will remain valid as long as needed.

The counterproposals are to put in alternative arrangements. Or to time limit the backstop.

The first is absurdity. If you can get alternative arrangements sorted out, the backstop never comes into force. And your contingency in case alternative arrangements failing to materialise can't really be the same alternative arrangements. It's a bit bloody ridiculous.

And a time-limited backstop isn't a backstop. If we say we won't need it beyond a certain date, then why not? What will have changed? We know we wouldn't have alternative arrangements (eg technology to prevent its need), because that would mean the backstop isn't invoked. We know we wouldn't have a customs union sorted out, or the backstop wouldn't have come into force.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2019
    Corbyn and May. Incompetent Force meets Inept Object.

Mood: dejected :(
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

The Eu should start trolling by offering to remove the backstop in exchange for something even more hateful.

It won't be trolling. It would be the obvious move for any negotiation.
    Have yet to hear a single specific thing we would be willing to trade for the backstops removal.
    Has anyone heard a single politician even accept that it would need to be a trade off?
  • Options

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Brittany is the only example of a successful Welsh colony.
    Twickenham 1964-1978 wasn't a bad attempt.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    WHat is Soames/Freeman's game - voting for Cooper but not with Spelman ?!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

Merzy totes and dozy dotes and liddle lambs i tivey, a kiddle i tivey too, wouldn't you.
    If the words sound queer and funny to your ear.
    A little bit jumbled and jivey...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    dixiedean said:

Have yet to hear a single specific thing we would be willing to trade for the backstops removal.
    Has anyone heard a single politician even accept that it would need to be a trade off?
    Maybe the EU can measure our desire to rid ourselves of the backstop in billions of pounds sterling.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    If May now gets nothing in terms of changes to the WDA , can we expect Harrington, Rudd et al to resign in two weeks time?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear.
    A little bit jumbled and jivey...
    :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    justin124 said:

If May now gets nothing in terms of changes to the WDA , can we expect Harrington, Rudd et al to resign in two weeks time?

Why not go now?

As:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1090355988153155584
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

dixiedean said:

Maybe the EU can measure our desire to rid ourselves of the backstop in billions of pounds sterling.
    Tbh, if they put a monetary value on it then it's somewhere to start.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    So that just puts the timetable back to what it would have been without the previous devious grevious amendment. In 2 weeks we go again with the same question - are we serious about leaving the European Union?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

You are seeing right in terms of your last para imho.

Mrs May is seen by a sizeable part of the public to have gone above and beyond in trying to get her deal through. It is now the EU that will be seen by many of those people as having rejected that deal not a large part of the parliamentary Conservative party, egged on by an overwhelming part of the membership. She is putting the Conservative party in a position to fight a GE.

A lot will depend on what comes out of the wash in the next few days as I suspect there are a lot of stories to be told about what has happened and why it has happened.

IF we leave and disruption follows, then I presume you and May will go round the country telling everyone it's all the fault of "Europe" and all would have been fine if the WA had been passed - had it not been for over 100 Conservatives plus the DUP it would have been.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Except that "The Governemnt" is our EU overlords*. That's why we will be prepared to suffer No Deal Brexit - to escape their evil clutches..... And blame them for all our subsequent ills. Vindictive bastards that they will be seen to be.

*says Hartlepool Man.
    I bet you believe in UFOs as well.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Chris_A said:

viewcode said:

So Brussels - how is that No Deal Brexit looking down your end of the telescope?

I assume they will deal with it in the same way as they have dealt with every other UK proposal since Cameron's renegotiation: bemusement followed by refusal. Are you expecting something different?
    Frankly, yes. Past forms says something will happen in the final 48 hours of dealing with the EU. That needs No Deal still to be on the table - tick. Irish panicking - tick. Other heads of EU countries wondering "is it worth dying in a ditch for the backstop?" - tick.
    Remind me what the terrorist threat level is again?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I wonder if falling over the Brexit cliff edge will be like the US shutdown. Initial resolve and determination simply being overwhelmed by an accumulation of pain that can't be endured any more.

3rd week of April, we sue for peace. What does that even mean? We can't go through an Article 49 application process to rejoin the EU, as we don't have fuel medicine or food to last the weekend. I hope that someone in Brussels has wargamed this very carefully.
  • Options

So - the backstop exists in case alternative arrangements cannot be made before the end of the transition period. And it will remain valid as long as needed.

The counterproposals are to put in alternative arrangements. Or to time limit the backstop.

The first is absurdity. If you can get alternative arrangements sorted out, the backstop never comes into force. And your contingency in case alternative arrangements failing to materialise can't really be the same alternative arrangements. It's a bit bloody ridiculous.

And a time-limited backstop isn't a backstop. If we say we won't need it beyond a certain date, then why not? What will have changed? We know we wouldn't have alternative arrangements (eg technology to prevent its need), because that would mean the backstop isn't invoked. We know we wouldn't have a customs union sorted out, or the backstop wouldn't have come into force.

The issue is that - as drafted - the EU gets to decide when we can leave the backstop.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    stodge said:

They're being intransigent in that because they have the upper hand they have more scope, politically, to be flexible, rather than insisting on something which might cause the thing they claim the backstop is needed to prevent. If the outcome is a hard brexit anyway what good was their principled stand to have a backstop to prevent a hard border in Ireland?

That said, they are not obliged to give in further, and even if they do it is not certain we'd get it through, since they could quite reasonably ask for a further concession from us in exchange, but the 'it's not their problem' line is still amazingly dumb - it is their problem if we cannot sort shit out, they have the power to influence it and so potentially avoid getting splash damage.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    Fulham making an interesting game of it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The only story from tonight is that what should have happened tonight will now happen in two or three weeks' time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Brom said:

Tusk throwing a wobbly! Tough shit mate, its deal or no deal (although Merkel will tell Tusk exactly what he can and cant do).

They'll no deal. Unfortunate. But they are even more stubborn than we are, even to the point of causing what they claim not to want. Because they could reopen things if they wanted, everyone knows the EU loves last minute fudges. It's a choice not to.Perhaps reasonable, but their reasoning has been pretty weak, especially when they complain about it being agreed. It wasn't agreed by Parliament and they know that.

But at what point will MPs believe the EU? May told them they won't reopen things and they didn't believe it.
    Why should we believe it? As you said these fudges always happen at the last minute so why should this time be any different?
    If now is not the last minute when is?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Charles said:

The issue is that - as drafted - the EU gets to decide when we can leave the backstop.
    The issue is that - as drafted - the backstop doesn't simply protect the Good Friday Agreement on the island of Ireland, but constrains the whole of the UK. That was May's doing.
  • Options
    Newcastle 1-1 Man City
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Brom said:

Tusk throwing a wobbly! Tough shit mate, its deal or no deal (although Merkel will tell Tusk exactly what he can and cant do).

They'll no deal. Unfortunate. But they are even more stubborn than we are, even to the point of causing what they claim not to want. Because they could reopen things if they wanted, everyone knows the EU loves last minute fudges. It's a choice not to.Perhaps reasonable, but their reasoning has been pretty weak, especially when they complain about it being agreed. It wasn't agreed by Parliament and they know that.

But at what point will MPs believe the EU? May told them they won't reopen things and they didn't believe it.
    Why should we believe it? As you said these fudges always happen at the last minute so why should this time be any different?
    If now is not the last minute when is?
    Mid Feb, by the look of it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Not actually the case. We can choose to stay in the backstop for ever.
  • Options

Charles said:

The issue is that - as drafted - the backstop doesn't simply protect the Good Friday Agreement on the island of Ireland, but constrains the whole of the UK. That was May's doing.
    It does so to limit the differential between NI and the rest of the UK, which is primarily a Unionist concern because otherwise NI would be more closely aligned with ROI than rUK.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Charles said:

Good point. As Michael Gove said, we've "got them over a barrel".
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The interesting thing is 17 Tory MPs defied the Government and voted to rule out No Deal, more than counterbalancing the 3 Labour MPs who voted for No Deal and giving a rejection of No Deal an 8 vote majority.

If May gets nothing from the EU as is likely and her Deal fails again there lies your potential majority for permanent Customs Union as the likes of Minister Margot James has suggested as an alternative this week or potentially even a successful VONC in the government and a forced general election as a last resort to stop No Deal
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    You’re welcome, scousers.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1090351598252027904?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1090351598252027904&ref_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-47030804
    Not that I disagree the government is chasing fairytales, but I dislike it when people only call it MPs asserting themselves when it is something in their favour against the government. MPs did assert themselves, in support of the government. Cannot say I think it a viable plan, but it was just as much parliament asserting itself as any other vote.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

*says Hartlepool Man.
    I bet you believe in UFOs as well.
    Of course I do. There are hundreds that have been designated as "unidentified".

Doesn't mean they contain aliens.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Parliament voted against No Deal, but has made it far, far more likely.
    Is that a correct reading of tonight?
    Glad I have the keys to a food bank.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Of course it is. She should have refused to sign it but they knew full well it wasn't supported and she was saying so until she folded.

If we leave without a deal it will be because the EU have chosen not to compromise.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Charles said:

I believed it was by both of us agreeing, was it not?
  • Options

Charles said:

It does so to limit the differential between NI and the rest of the UK, which is primarily a Unionist concern because otherwise NI would be more closely aligned with ROI than rUK.
    But the unionists voted against it anyway, which suggests their real concern was imposing divergence between NI and Ireland and sabotaging the Good Friday Agreement.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Chris_A said:

viewcode said:

Not the highest. We have that to look forward to when the IRA reactivates.
  • Options
    In more important news, come on Newcastle!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They won't split, unless a new centrist party is formed or Brexit is revoked without a referendum, however 17 Tory MPs voted against No Deal but only 3 Labour MPs for No Deal suggesting anything could be on the table if May's Deal continues to be rejected

They have to split - either formally or, more likely, become two parties in one. It’s that or No Deal.

They may do all they can to stop No Deal, that does not mean they will split.

However if we do go to No Deal a new En Marche style party led by Unumma, Soubry and Moran is possible
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

The interesting thing is 17 Tory MPs defied the Government and voted to rule out No Deal, more than counterbalancing the 3 Labour MPs who voted for No Deal and giving a rejection of No Deal an 8 vote majority.

If May gets nothing from the EU as is likely and her Deal fails again there lies your potential majority for permanent Customs Union as the likes of Minister Margot James has suggested as an alternative this week or potentially even a successful VONC in the government and a forced general election as a last resort to stop No Deal
    How does a successful VONC and a forced general election stop No Deal??? You can't pass legislation when MPs are no longer MPs once Parliament is prorogued. And only legislation is going to stop No Deal Brexit.....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Chris_A said:

Floater said:

Chris_A said:

viewcode said:

Go and look at what the highest level actually means .......

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I don't think a permanent Customs Union is the alternative arrangement Brady had in mind. However, it is something that the EU ought to agree to and parliament should give a majority to. Jezza needs to tell Tezzie that it is the only way to get a deal.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681

You’re welcome, scousers.

Getting interesting at both ends of the table. Fulham have left it a little late, but I can see Southampton being sucked back into the relegation zone.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

How does a successful VONC and a forced general election stop No Deal??? You can't pass legislation when MPs are no longer MPs once Parliament is prorogued. And only legislation is going to stop No Deal Brexit.....
    As Corbyn backs permanent Customs Union which if he became PM after a general election Juncker has agreed could be the basis of renegotiation of the Deal or else May gets a mandate for her Deal
  • Options

stodge said:

Of course it is. She should have refused to sign it but they knew full well it wasn't supported and she was saying so until she folded.

If we leave without a deal it will be because the EU have chosen not to compromise.
    That's true. They're not compromising between the deal that it took two years to negotiate and that we actually asked for, and the deal we just made up which sounds really great in our head.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Parliament voted against No Deal, but has made it far, far more likely.
    Is that a correct reading of tonight?
    Glad I have the keys to a food bank.

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1090353251894116354
  • Options

Charles said:

But the unionists voted against it anyway, which suggests their real concern was imposing divergence between NI and Ireland and sabotaging the Good Friday Agreement.
    Divergence is not the end of the world. It is what we voted for with Brexit.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Scott_P said:
    May won't make that threat to the ERG, as she's willing to walk off the no-deal cliff with them.

The game being played is convincing Tory MPs opposed to no deal that she is doing everything she can to reach a deal. They're still buying it.
  • Options
    Do tonight's votes fulfill the governments obligations to have another vote following the Meaningful Vote or are they obliged to come back and do this all over again?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Chris_A said:

Floater said:

Chris_A said:

viewcode said:

Go and look at what the highest level actually means .......

I know what the highest level means and the first IRA bomb on a border post will raise it to that level. For that we have only the Tories and a dozen or so Labour incompetents to blame.
  • Options

Charles said:

Divergence is not the end of the world. It is what we voted for with Brexit.
    Northern Ireland voted against it.
  • Options

Do tonight's votes fulfill the governments obligations to have another vote following the Meaningful Vote or are they obliged to come back and do this all over again?

MV2 is already promised.

• Options

Charles said:

That is also an issue

I seem to recall it being sold as a triumph at the time 😖
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The most poisonous man in Parliament.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

As Corbyn backs permanent Customs Union which if he became PM after a general election Juncker has agreed could be the basis of renegotiation of the Deal or else May gets a mandate for her Deal
    The point was that by the time a General Election happens we'll already have left.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I don't think a permanent Customs Union is the alternative arrangement Brady had in mind. However, it is something that the EU ought to agree to and parliament should give a majority to. Jezza needs to tell Tezzie that it is the only way to get a deal.
    Permanent Customs Union does look like it may have a Parliamentary majority based on all those MPs who rejected No Deal tonight it could scrape home with a small majority, I don't think EUref2 or Norway Plus has the numbers, ironically if that becomes a prospect that may increase the chances of the Deal as No Dealers move to stop BINO
  • Options
    alex. said:

Charles said:

Ok the EU have a veto over us leaving
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Your scenario requires you to engineer an election that delivers a polling day before 29th March.
  • Options
    Panic buying starts this weekend?
  • Options
    Penalty to Newcastle!
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

The point was that by the time a General Election happens we'll already have left.
    So what, we can still do a Deal after leaving, post Brexit is only really a problem for EUref2 with a Remain option as the EU could add the Euro, Schengen etc to rejoin
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Your scenario requires you to engineer an election that delivers a polling day before 29th March.
    Not for a Deal alone no
This discussion has been closed.