Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi Sunak looks like a homunculus. This may stymie his leadership ambitions – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    To be fair to GB news, it’ll take some time to settle in. There’s a few promising segments in there - quite like the regional reporting angle
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021

Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

Andrew Neil is a bit good at this

If he fulfills his promises Sky and BBC will have real competition
    Hopefully GB News will be an alternative to the constant doom-mongering of both Sky News and BBC News channel.
    Andrew Neil in a recent interview said rolling news is failed concept and GB News isn't looking to compete with them. If you want to know about breaking news, GB News isn't the place to go.
    More importantly, covering breaking news is expensive. Much cheaper to have talking heads in a studio as your backbone.
    Well tha too...but we know bugger all people watch the news channels. Sky News isn't viable.and has a tiny viewership. ITV News failed. BBC have cut back again because very small viewership.

Evidence of the likes of Victoria Derbyshire Show doesn't seem to think their is much of a market of studio shows either.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    GB News made the classic toastmaster mistake - a long intro.

They should have gone straight into the lockdown issue IMO, grabbing the agenda.
  • Options
    VompVomp Posts: 36
    Daily Mail:

If they want to go further in their highly questionable messing around with conditional probability using such small samples, they might as well conclude from the right-hand two charts that if you're going to get infected with Delta than you'll be more likely to survive if you haven't been double-vaccinated.
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Congratulations England. And Bravo Gareth Southgate, really sticking it too the lefty traitors, England-haters and boo-mongers

This brilliantly talented team - humble enough to KNEEL for social justice - will, I predict, unite the nation, and it will nobly march on to triumph

That’s better. Now see how long you can keep it up.
    i think youve had too much wine today
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

They should have gone straight into the lockdown issue IMO, grabbing the agenda.

Yes, they could have had some pro/anti guests have a big bust up.
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Good riddance to Netenyahu . Another from the axis of evil to be shown the door . How fitting that Trump and his arselicker have gone in the space of a year .

Also struck today by how I could watch the G7 coverage without that awful feeling I used to get when Donald Trump was dominating and corrupting and trivializing everything with his persona and his antics. His exit due to WH2020 and consequent absence from the scene has really improved my quality of life. I can't say that about too many elections, especially foreign ones. Thanks, Joe. Thanks so much. Forever a fan. Forever in your debt.
    What he is, and what he will always be as your next President, is Not Donald Trump. And that is what makes Joe Biden acceptable, under the circumstances.
    oh come on how did trump impact your quality of life...he was an irrelevance
  • Options

Kids of today....always need the sugar rush....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

To be fair to GB news, it’ll take some time to settle in. There’s a few promising segments in there - quite like the regional reporting angle

Agreed. A genuinely diverse group they’ve got together, not just people with news media backgrounds. Good luck to them!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited June 2021

To be fair it isn't a news programme but more an introduction to its presenters, who seem an interesting and diverse group

Those dishing it already may find that it does evolve into an important news medium

Mind you I am watching the football, but will check in on their breakfast programmes with interest.

Anything is better than Kay Burley
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    After chats with both sides, it's clear that far from facilitating a fix, the G7 has actually aggravated the UK-EU row over the Protocol - & badly 1/
    https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1404145653370994698
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    tlg86 said:

I started to get annoyed when every Sky News paper review was to put the two most diametrically opposed people on the planet together to get them to review the papers.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Vomp said:

Daily Mail:

If they want to go further in their highly questionable messing around with conditional probability using such small samples, they might as well conclude from the right-hand two charts that if you're going to get infected with Delta than you'll be more likely to survive if you haven't been double-vaccinated.

At least they are consistent in their mis-spelling of vaccinated.
    They’ve dropped a c.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Good riddance to Netenyahu . Another from the axis of evil to be shown the door . How fitting that Trump and his arselicker have gone in the space of a year .

Also struck today by how I could watch the G7 coverage without that awful feeling I used to get when Donald Trump was dominating and corrupting and trivializing everything with his persona and his antics. His exit due to WH2020 and consequent absence from the scene has really improved my quality of life. I can't say that about too many elections, especially foreign ones. Thanks, Joe. Thanks so much. Forever a fan. Forever in your debt.
    What he is, and what he will always be as your next President, is Not Donald Trump. And that is what makes Joe Biden acceptable, under the circumstances.
    oh come on how did trump impact your quality of life...he was an irrelevance
    It is always the curse of these posts that people don’t recognise quotations.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

I started to get annoyed when every Sky News paper review was to put the two most diametrically opposed people on the planet together to get them to review the papers.
    Actually, the paper reviews have become quite dull - not sure if that's because of lockdown. People arguing isn't always great, but during COVID it has been a bit "well I guess we need to do x..."
  • Options

Tonight was an introduction to their presenters

The real programmes start from 6.00 am tomorrow
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Actually, the paper reviews have become quite dull - not sure if that's because of lockdown. People arguing isn't always great, but during COVID it has been a bit "well I guess we need to do x..."
    Really? I can't say I watch it religiously but every one I've seen has featured someone clearly angling for a lockdown regardless of circumstance versus someone arguing the opposite regardless of circumstance.

If they also happen to be opposite sides of the Brexit debate you can guarantee repeat bookings.
  • Options
    @cricketwyvern

Closer look at the Zoe estimates. Daily estimate & 7-day average both still going up but you can see the rate of increase slowing up quite significantly.

The decline in the rate of increase we see in the NHS numbers appears to be repeated in the Zoe numbers.

Noise?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    I don’t know how many international viewers they’ve got on the web stream, but they’d be better off using Google ads, rather than the U.K. ads for changing gas supplier and playing the lottery - which I guess are the same as on the broadcast stream.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

So tonight's launch is just to ensure GB News is panned in the newspapers.
  • Options
    One of these is a spoof...

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    GB News aims to solve a problem we do not have with an offering 10 years past its sell by date.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

@cricketwyvern

Closer look at the Zoe estimates. Daily estimate & 7-day average both still going up but you can see the rate of increase slowing up quite significantly.

The decline in the rate of increase we see in the NHS numbers appears to be repeated in the Zoe numbers.

Noise?

Aren't we getting a bit Nixon-esque here?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

GB News aims to solve a problem we do not have with an offering 10 years past its sell by date.

Actually no....there is limited in depth coverage these days. BBC and Sky are all "breaking...breaking"...Boris went for a swim..."breaking breaking"...Macron gave Biden a hug. Especially Sky News coverage beyond this is piss poor.

The pandemic has shown too many who work on these channels are morons who are clueless and lazy.

There is a market as there are YouTube and podcasts channels that do really good numbers. In fact far better than when BBC / Sky out their videos online and better than Newsnight.

An old bloke in this bedroom taking about covid does better numbers than Sky, because he knows what he is talking about.

If GB News is also that, no idea.
  • Options

I doubt it will even be mentioned in the papers
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Actually no....there is limited in depth coverage these days.

There is a market as there are YouTube and podcasts channels that do really good numbers. In fact far better than when BBC / Sky out their videos online and better than Newsnight. if GB News is also that, no idea.
    Yeah, proper in-depth interviews with politicians. Check out old interviews from the 70s and 80s. What passes for an interview today is a joke.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

England 1 - 0 Booing twats.

It's posts like this that explain how successfully Southgate has managed to politicise the football.
    Nah - those who boo are twats. You can dislike the symbol without being rude about it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Why are the left so scared of GBNews

It is the same mindset that saw the red wall fall

I have no idea how it will work out but it may just succeed, who knows
  • Options
    RobD said:

@cricketwyvern

Noise?

I don’t know. What do you mean?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,223
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

There is a market as there are YouTube and podcasts channels that do really good numbers. In fact far better than when BBC / Sky out their videos online and better than Newsnight. if GB News is also that, no idea.
    Yeah, proper in-depth interviews with politicians. Check out old interviews from the 70s and 80s. What passes for an interview today is a joke.
    And yet if you go on Spotify or Youtube you can find someone like Joe Rogan interviewing Elon Musk or a senator or a writer for THREE HOURS: intelligent, serious, in-depth analysis

And making a fortune doing it

There is a market for this, question is will GB News aim for that, or just fail as another crappier Sky News?
  • Options

RobD said:

@cricketwyvern

Noise?

I'm just remembering his quote about the rate of increase in inflation slowing down.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

It's posts like this that explain how successfully Southgate has managed to politicise the football.
    Nah - those who boo are twats. You can dislike the symbol without being rude about it.
    So how does the phrase "silence is violence" fit into that philosophy?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

The launch is the top story on the Daily Mail website, the most read English language news website in the world is it not?

I switched off after 30 seconds, no interest in an extended advert for something I am already watching.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

So how does the phrase "silence is violence" fit into that philosophy?
    Bewww
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/13/joe-biden-demands-international-investigation-chinese-lab-leak/

Joe Biden demands international investigation into Chinese lab leak theory
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

And yet if you go on Spotify or Youtube you can find someone like Joe Rogan interviewing Elon Musk or a senator or a writer for THREE HOURS: intelligent, serious, in-depth analysis

There is a market for this, question is will GB News aim for that, or just fail as another crappier Sky News?
    Obviously Joe Rogan is a massive outlier, but even smaller scale the likes of Modern Wisdom is British bloke in his bedroom, does really good numbers. He has super interesting people on e.g. had the academic of rationality that Big Dom quotes repeatedly at the select committee, he has had experts in stocism, through to lighter stuff.

There is a market.
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/13/unlock-let-us-live-covid-boris-johnson-urged-advisor-eve-crucial/

Unlock and let us live with Covid, Boris Johnson urged by advisor on eve of crucial June 21 decision

If only ....
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

@cricketwyvern

Noise?

I'm just remembering his quote about the rate of increase in inflation slowing down.
    I’m just posting the numbers.

Probably just noise, do you think?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Not scared at all. Don’t see what problem it solves. You can get pretty much every opinion and all the ‘in depth analysis’ on the net. A pound shop Fox News adds little. Sites like PB killed this stuff.
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

There’s some great content on Rogan. One problem I do think he has is the sheer volume of guests he has on means the quality of research is sometimes a bit lacking. Sky News is boring because most of the time it loops content every 30 minutes. GB News could be great if it follows the Rogan model.

And if it grabs by the horns what I think we agree are the two stories right now of much relevance. Both of which are being largely ignored in Britain: UAPs and Lab Leaks. Get on proper guests to talk about these things intelligently and in depth, without condescension.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

@cricketwyvern

Noise?

I think you can only say something like that with confidence with the benefit of hindsight. It could shoot up again, or continue going down. I'd hate to have to make a decision based on them.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Well we're scared of the Fox News-ification of the UK political narrative because it's toxic. It remains to be seen if GB News will play that role.

I won't be watching it but I don't watch any live TV whatsoever, other than sport, so I don't really care otherwise.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

Jonathan said:

Is "the left" scared of GB News? If it is, tonight's launch won't be giving "the left" nightmares. It's got Andrew Neil, but it's Boris Johnson who runs scared of him. It's got Michelle Dewberry off Sky, and Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats. And then I switched off.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

The launch is the top story on the Daily Mail website, the most read English language news website in the world is it not?

I switched off after 30 seconds, no interest in an extended advert for something I am already watching.
    I switched off after 10 minutes when I realised it was an introduction to their presenters

They start programme broadcasts from 6.00am in the morning

• Options
    edited June 2021

Jonathan said:

Well we're scared of the Fox News-ification of the UK political narrative because it's toxic. It remains to be seen if GB News will play that role.

I won't be watching it but I don't watch any live TV whatsoever, other than sport, so I don't really care otherwise.
    Somebody looked at Trump and said ‘Yes! Let’s have that in the U.K.’. Befuddling but 🤷‍♀️.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

God forbid viewers might have a choice that dissents from the left wing view point eh
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

@cricketwyvern

Noise?

I think you can only say something like that with confidence with the benefit of hindsight. It could shoot up again, or continue going down. I'd hate to have to make a decision based on them.
    Sure.

Probably just noise.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

God forbid viewers might have a choice that dissents from the left wing view point eh
    Lol
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    They claim GB News is just going to be pound shop Fox News, lots of their hires don't seem to be a fit for such a role e.g. Colin Brazier, Gloria De Piero
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Somebody looked at Trump and said ‘Yes! Let’s have that in the U.K.’. Befuddling but 🤷‍♀️.
    Take a look at what you just wrote

You have made your mind up already ......

• Options

moonshine said:

I switched off after 10 minutes when I realised it was an introduction to their presenters

They start programme broadcasts from 6.00am in the morning

Indeed. Can’t help but think they blew the publicity generated by the launch if even we have switched off.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

The Firing Line interviews are the best. William Buckley is slightly odd, mind

Here’s Thatch before she was PM

https://youtu.be/nO44vzTLa7g
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

Jonathan said:

Is "the left" scared of GB News? If it is, tonight's launch won't be giving "the left" nightmares. It's got Andrew Neil, but it's Boris Johnson who runs scared of him. It's got Michelle Dewberry off Sky, and Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats. And then I switched off.
    "Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats."

Easy to fathom. Working-class Scot who talks sense and is pro-UK. Enough to generate paroxysms.
  • Options

They claim GB News is just going to be pound shop Fox News, lots of their hires don't seem to be a fit for such a role e.g. Colin Brazier, Gloria De Piero

It may well be that GB News turns out to be really good. I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

It may well be that GB News turns out to be really good. I guess we'll see.
    Oh i doubt that.....but the lazy assumption because Neil has said he wants to break what he sees is the dominate tv news that starts at Blairite left of centre position world view doesn't equal Fox News.

Loads of their hires just don't fit for such a channel.
  • Options
    I hope GB News does okay.

We need some alternative to BBC and Sky News, both of which offer very little in the way of rigorous debate.

• Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Curious that the right feel underrepresented in the media despite their lot running most of it. Boris , Gove et all hardly suffered from lack of exposure on the BBC for example. Feels like some kind of weird insecurity to need yet another echo chamber.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I hope GB News does okay.

We need some alternative to BBC and Sky News, both of which offer very little in the way of rigorous debate.

The question will be how much money there is in "rigorous debate". Not much I reckon.

Love Island starts at the end of the month. Wonder what ITV's viewing figures will be compared to GB News.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Michelle Dewberry??? She was on QT recently - was a complete idiot.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

The Buckley interviews are a real goldmine. The one with Reagan helps you to understand quite how Reagan got where he got.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Jonathan said:

Would.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Curious that the right feel underrepresented in the media despite their lot running most of it. Boris , Gove et all hardly suffered from lack of exposure on the BBC for example. Feels like some kind of weird insecurity to need yet another echo chamber.
    You seem to be making all these assumptions about GB News. That it will be a Fox News echo chamber.

When Neil was on the BBC, I don't think anybody thought the Daily Politics was that. He just seemed to give bullshitting politicians all round a bashing.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

There’s some great content on Rogan. One problem I do think he has is the sheer volume of guests he has on means the quality of research is sometimes a bit lacking. Sky News is boring because most of the time it loops content every 30 minutes. GB News could be great if it follows the Rogan model.

And if it grabs by the horns what I think we agree are the two stories right now of much relevance. Both of which are being largely ignored in Britain: UAPs and Lab Leaks. Get on proper guests to talk about these things intelligently and in depth, without condescension.
    Yes, Rogan should do one show a week and more research. It is still remarkably diverting, however: and educational

The apathetic state of British news TV to these two news stories speaks volumes of their greater failures: timid, parochial, class-ridden, nervous, overly-metropolitan and nearly all of one middlebrow, liberal-left mindset

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    First impression of GB News, the sets are a bit dark.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

The Buckley interviews are a real goldmine. The one with Reagan helps you to understand quite how Reagan got where he got.
    I shall have a look, I was just watching Maggie again
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Jonathan said:

It has got many more presenters than that and some well known ones including Alastair Stewart, Colin Brazier, Darren McCaffery, Israel Webster, Gloria de Piero, Kirsty Gallacher, Simon McCoy, and Dan Wootton
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Must see documentary for political nerds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6qW-ZKxZss
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

No one is stopping the left from setting up their own leftwing news station.

Indeed, I would welcome it, let a thousand flowers bloom, Guardian TV News, why not?

Only problem is that it would be identical to the BBC, Sky and C4
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, Rogan should do one show a week and more research. It is still remarkably diverting, however: and educational

The apathetic state of British news TV to these two news stories speaks volumes of their greater failures: timid, parochial, class-ridden, nervous, overly-metropolitan and nearly all of one middlebrow, liberal-left mindset

Sam Harris is better IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

No one is stopping the left from setting up their own leftwing news station.

Indeed, I would welcome it, let a thousand flowers bloom, Guardian TV News, why not?

Only problem is that it would be identical to the BBC, Sky and C4
    Novaro news....nobody watches it....Owen Jones...nobody watches it...

To be fair Novaro media, they do try to do in-depth stuff, but it is so biased i.e. marxism.is the solution to everything.
  • Options
    GB News needs to get some big name interviews in tbh - they have O 'Neill who is good at that sort of thing. I think that can be the USP.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

First impression of GB News, the sets are a bit dark.

I can't work out whether the little chink in the blinds beside Andrew Neil is intentional or not.
  • Options
    Doing news differently:
    👉lockdown
    👉taking the knee
    👉Harry and Meghan

THANK GOD someone is finally covering these issues

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1404168562156228619

We have found their target viewer. It's SeanT
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    edited June 2021

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

You seem to be making all these assumptions about GB News. That it will be a Fox News echo chamber.

When Neil was on the BBC, I don't think anybody thought the Daily Politics was that. He just seemed to give bullshitting politicians all round a bashing.
    So what is the 'gap' GB News is aiming to fill?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If you knew her back story you might be a bit kinder
  • Options
    Andrew Neil’s opening monologue on GB News was about how the channel wouldn’t push false narratives.

Anyway an hour later there’s an uninterrupted, unchallenged to-camera monologue by host Dan Wootton on GB News about how lockdowns don’t work. This is definitely new territory.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1404168675356254209
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Good goal by the Dutch
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,114

Jonathan said:

"Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats."

Easy to fathom. Working-class Scot who talks sense and is pro-UK. Enough to generate paroxysms.
    Do you agree with him that lockdown is the biggest single mistake in world history?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

TV News Channels in 2021. 😀

Reminds me of how TV-AM started. How long til Andrew Neil is replaced by Roland Rat?

But seriously, tv news channels? The only justification seems to generate outrage to serve other media. Why not cut out the middle man and find someone that can work with modern media directly?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

There is definitely a market for in depth proper factual correct analysis...not as we have seen every f##king day on BBC and Sky during the pandemic...and why a bloke in his bedroom gets more views on his covid update.

And as we have seen with Rogan, Harris, unherd, Modern Wisdom, there is a market for in depth interviews with interesting people talking about current affairs.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Do you agree with him that lockdown is the biggest single mistake in world history?
    You don't *need* to be a cybernat to find him a pretentious prick, but it helps.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If you knew her back story you might be a bit kinder
    I didn’t know her from Eve until I asked on here. Apparently she won the Apprentice?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Possibly not on that, tbf. :)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

There is definitely a market for in depth proper factual correct analysis...not as we have seen every f##king day on BBC and Sky during the pandemic...and why a bloke in his bedroom gets more views on covid.
    That's all very well, but Scott's post suggests there is not much "analysis" or "debate" going on.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

There is definitely a market for in depth proper factual correct analysis...not as we have seen every f##king day on BBC and Sky during the pandemic...and why a bloke in his bedroom gets more views on covid.
    That's all very well, but Scott's post suggests there is not much "analysis" or "debate" going on.
    Sounds like it's just the introductions today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

When was the last time a BBC host did an uninterrupted personal monologue to camera?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,645

Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

Andrew Neil is a bit good at this

If he fulfills his promises Sky and BBC will have real competition
    Hopefully GB News will be an alternative to the constant doom-mongering of both Sky News and BBC News channel.
    Andrew Neil in a recent interview said rolling news is failed concept and GB News isn't looking to compete with them. If you want to know about breaking news, GB News isn't the place to go.
    Maybe people are getting a bit tired of "breaking news" every 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Netherlands should be 2 nil up.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

TV News Channels in 2021. 😀

Reminds me of how TV-AM started. How long til Andrew Neil is replaced by Roland Rat?

But seriously, tv news channels? The only justification seems to generate outrage to serve other media. Why not cut out the middle man and find someone that can work with modern media directly?
    Well i said repeatedly i don't think it will succeed...but there is a market for current affairs / news commentary type shows.

Whisper it, Carl Benjamin, that Sagan of Akkad guy, does more views on YouTube, giving his daily 2hr take on the news than Adam Boulton at the same time on Sky and makes a good living out of it.

Not somebody I want to watch, but all these examples Leon and I bring up, show there is a market for longer form content.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Holland 2-0

Boo!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,541
    edited June 2021
    Well, I've just watched 15 minutes of GB news. Dan Wooton on anti-woke stuff, just a right-wing tirade (anti-lockdown, anti-knee, anti-Harry/Meghan). To be followed by Farage, Sumption and Alan Sugar later tonight. A panel of Oliver, somebody from the Daily Express, and somebody I've never heard of. Hm - a theme seems to be developing. Fox News, eat your heart out.

It's just a diet of very right-wing guff, isn't it? No (new) news at all, just stale debates and attacks on the liberal metropolitan woke Guardian-reading leftie Labour-voting elite who apparently run everything in this country. Not sure it's necessary when these views are put forth very well by the current government.

I know that's a hasty judgement. But the evidence is already pretty strong.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

They haven't broadcast one programme yet

And @Scott_xP is hardly a voice of Independent opinion
  • Options

Well, I've just watched 15 minutes of GB news. Dan Wooton on anti-woke stuff, just a right-wing tirade (anti-lockdown, anti-knee, anti-Harry/Meghan). To be followed by Farage, Sumption and Alan Sugar later tonight. A panel of Oliver, somebody from the Daily Express, and somebody I've never heard of. Hm - a theme seems to be developing. Fox News, eat your heart out.

It's just a diet of very right-wing guff, isn't it? No (new) news at all, just stale debates and attacks on the liberal metropolitan woke Guardian-reading Labour-voting elite who apparently run everything in this country. Not sure it's necessary when these views are put forth very well by the current government.

As I said, it's a free market. Start your own leftwing news channel

This will live or die by its popularity, as it should be
  • Options

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

When was the last time a BBC host did an uninterrupted personal monologue to camera?
    Maybe when the BBC just started? I don't know. But it's already been mentioned here that normal programming begins tomorrow.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe when the BBC just started? I don't know.
    I doubt it.
  • Options
    Neil Oliver talking about tides. Another series of Coast coming up ?
  • Options
    Gloucestershire are going to throw his away, aren’t they?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

It was Day 0.....they will definitely fail though if it is just a talking head taking an alternative position to the "mainstream"....thats what Talk Radio does.
This discussion has been closed.