Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi Sunak looks like a homunculus. This may stymie his leadership ambitions – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

GB News aims to solve a problem we do not have with an offering 10 years past its sell by date.

Why are the left so scared of GBNews

It is the same mindset that saw the red wall fall

I have no idea how it will work out but it may just succeed, who knows
    Well we're scared of the Fox News-ification of the UK political narrative because it's toxic. It remains to be seen if GB News will play that role.

I won't be watching it but I don't watch any live TV whatsoever, other than sport, so I don't really care otherwise.
    God forbid viewers might have a choice that dissents from the left wing view point eh
    Curious that the right feel underrepresented in the media despite their lot running most of it. Boris , Gove et all hardly suffered from lack of exposure on the BBC for example. Feels like some kind of weird insecurity to need yet another echo chamber.
    You seem to be making all these assumptions about GB News. That it will be a Fox News echo chamber.

When Neil was on the BBC, I don't think anybody thought the Daily Politics was that. He just seemed to give bullshitting politicians all round a bashing.
    So what is the 'gap' GB News is aiming to fill?
    There is definitely a market for in depth proper factual correct analysis...not as we have seen every f##king day on BBC and Sky during the pandemic...and why a bloke in his bedroom gets more views on covid.
    That's all very well, but Scott's post suggests there is not much "analysis" or "debate" going on.
    Sounds like it's just the introductions today.
    When was the last time a BBC host did an uninterrupted personal monologue to camera?
    Maybe when the BBC just started? I don't know.
    I doubt it.
    What's with the editing of my comment? The context is the programs haven't actually started yet.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited June 2021

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

GB News aims to solve a problem we do not have with an offering 10 years past its sell by date.

Well we're scared of the Fox News-ification of the UK political narrative because it's toxic. It remains to be seen if GB News will play that role.

I won't be watching it but I don't watch any live TV whatsoever, other than sport, so I don't really care otherwise.
    God forbid viewers might have a choice that dissents from the left wing view point eh
    Curious that the right feel underrepresented in the media despite their lot running most of it. Boris , Gove et all hardly suffered from lack of exposure on the BBC for example. Feels like some kind of weird insecurity to need yet another echo chamber.
    You seem to be making all these assumptions about GB News. That it will be a Fox News echo chamber.

When Neil was on the BBC, I don't think anybody thought the Daily Politics was that. He just seemed to give bullshitting politicians all round a bashing.
    TV News Channels in 2021. 😀

Reminds me of how TV-AM started. How long til Andrew Neil is replaced by Roland Rat?

But seriously, tv news channels? The only justification seems to generate outrage to serve other media. Why not cut out the middle man and find someone that can work with modern media directly?
    Well i said repeatedly i don't think it will succeed...but there is a market for current affairs / news commentary type shows.

Whisper it, Carl Benjamin, that Sagan of Akkad guy, does more views on YouTube, giving his daily 2hr take on the news than Adam Boulton at the same time on Sky and makes a good living out of it.
    Well quite. YouTube is far more interesting than this.

If Neil et al were serious they could have just done the interviews on YouTube and stood on the quality of the content. Instead they have to wrap it in the anachronistic pomposity of a tv channel. A figleaf at best.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

Jonathan said:

Is "the left" scared of GB News? If it is, tonight's launch won't be giving "the left" nightmares. It's got Andrew Neil, but it's Boris Johnson who runs scared of him. It's got Michelle Dewberry off Sky, and Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats. And then I switched off.
    "Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats."

Easy to fathom. Working-class Scot who talks sense and is pro-UK. Enough to generate paroxysms.
    Do you agree with him that lockdown is the biggest single mistake in world history?
    You don't *need* to be a cybernat to find him a pretentious prick, but it helps.
    It's the peely wally vanity that gets me.

Another **** that wears Belstaff to my chagrin.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311

Jonathan said:

Is "the left" scared of GB News? If it is, tonight's launch won't be giving "the left" nightmares. It's got Andrew Neil, but it's Boris Johnson who runs scared of him. It's got Michelle Dewberry off Sky, and Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats. And then I switched off.
    Michelle Dewberry??? She was on QT recently - was a complete idiot.
    If you knew her back story you might be a bit kinder
    I didn’t know her from Eve until I asked on here. Apparently she won the Apprentice?
    Yes and she had a terrible childhood, suffers bouts of depression and even suicidal thoughts, and her battle is one to be admired, not put down

An inspiration to many who suffer mental health issues
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

There is definitely a market for in depth proper factual correct analysis...not as we have seen every f##king day on BBC and Sky during the pandemic...and why a bloke in his bedroom gets more views on covid.
    That's all very well, but Scott's post suggests there is not much "analysis" or "debate" going on.
    When was the last time a BBC host did an uninterrupted personal monologue to camera?
    I doubt it.
    What's with the editing of my comment? The context is the programs haven't actually started yet.
    I was only responding to part of your comment.

It's broadcasting so it's worthy of comment. The fact that "normal" programs haven't started yet is irrelevant.

I don't understand why the "right" is so defensive about GB News. It's really quite something.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I doubt it.

It's broadcasting so it's worthy of comment. The fact that "normal" programs haven't started yet is irrelevant.

I don't understand why the "right" is so defensive about GB News. It's really quite something.
    But why delete it? You can reply to only part of it without removing the context of my answer.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Reminds me of how TV-AM started. How long til Andrew Neil is replaced by Roland Rat?

But seriously, tv news channels? The only justification seems to generate outrage to serve other media. Why not cut out the middle man and find someone that can work with modern media directly?
    Well i said repeatedly i don't think it will succeed...but there is a market for current affairs / news commentary type shows.

Whisper it, Carl Benjamin, that Sagan of Akkad guy, does more views on YouTube, giving his daily 2hr take on the news than Adam Boulton at the same time on Sky and makes a good living out of it.

If Neil et al were serious they could have just done the interviews on YouTube and stood on the quality of the content. Instead they have to wrap it in the anachronistic pomposity of a tv channel. A figleaf at best.
    Well not also being on YouTube seems like a massive mistake. TalkRadio get a lot of their traffic via it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    edited June 2021
    Evening all :)

I thought GBN launched tomorrow so we'll see what it has to offer.

I'm not sure we need a third "rolling news" channel alongside BBC and SKY but I suspect that's not what GBN is about - it seems to want to provide a more analytical, opinion-based commentary of the news. Clearly, they see a niche for something the BBC and SKY aren't providing.

I must confess I'm not one of those people who has "the news" on in the background the whole time - it's all a bit Orwellian for my tastes. I'm not sure I'd prefer to hear my worldview re-enforced constantly any more than I'd enjoy hearing my worldview challenged constantly but the latter would make me think.

I've got to say I'm one of those people who has an annoying habit of disagreeing with majorities and the zeitgeist. I was contrarian before it became popular I suppose.

Too many subjects are too complex and nuanced to be distilled into three minute "discussions" between two opposing view points. That's where I part company with rolling news - this content-lite approach fails to educate or inform. Perhaps GBN will for instance devote an hour or a day to housing or climate change or transport or health - issues which need proper debate and analysis with a plurality and diversity of opinions and viewpoints.

If it does, I might give it a try.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I doubt it.

But why delete it? You can reply to only part of it without removing the context of my answer.
    So what?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I doubt it.

So what?
    So what? It's editing my answer. It wasn't as if it was something on a completely separate topic.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I'm not sure we need a third "rolling news" channel alongside BBC and SKY but I suspect that's not what GBN is about - it seems to want to provide a more analytical, opinion-based commentary of the news. Clearly, they see a niche for something the BBC and SKY aren't providing.

I must confess I'm not one of those people who has "the news" on in the background the whole time - it's all a bit Orwellian for my tastes. I'm not sure I'd prefer to hear my worldview re-enforced constantly any more than I'd enjoy hearing my worldview challenged constantly but the latter would make me think.

I've got to say I'm one of those people who has an annoying habit of disagreeing with majorities and the zeitgeist. I was contrarian before it became popular I suppose.

Too many subjects are too complex and nuanced to be distilled into three minute "discussions" between two opposing view points. That's where I part company with rolling news - this content-lite approach fails to educate or inform. Perhaps GBN will for instance devote an hour or a day to housing or climate change or transport or health - issues which need proper debate and analysis with a plurality and diversity of opinions and viewpoints.

If it does that, it'll be really good. However I still don't think it can be a commercial success doing that - unless it has a wealthy benefactor who doesn't care about losing money.
  • Options

Well, I've just watched 15 minutes of GB news. Dan Wooton on anti-woke stuff, just a right-wing tirade (anti-lockdown, anti-knee, anti-Harry/Meghan). To be followed by Farage, Sumption and Alan Sugar later tonight. A panel of Oliver, somebody from the Daily Express, and somebody I've never heard of. Hm - a theme seems to be developing. Fox News, eat your heart out.

It's just a diet of very right-wing guff, isn't it? No (new) news at all, just stale debates and attacks on the liberal metropolitan woke Guardian-reading leftie Labour-voting elite who apparently run everything in this country. Not sure it's necessary when these views are put forth very well by the current government.

I know that's a hasty judgement. But the evidence is already pretty strong.

Your penultimate sentence is succinct
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    I watched the first ten or so minutes of GB. They have a lot of work to do to overcome the technical side of things. First day of course, but at times it reminded me of those old New York late night cable shows that Chris Stein of Blonde would appear on back in like 1978 or whatever.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Actually no....there is limited in depth coverage these days.

There is a market as there are YouTube and podcasts channels that do really good numbers. In fact far better than when BBC / Sky out their videos online and better than Newsnight. if GB News is also that, no idea.
    Yeah, proper in-depth interviews with politicians. Check out old interviews from the 70s and 80s. What passes for an interview today is a joke.
    And yet if you go on Spotify or Youtube you can find someone like Joe Rogan interviewing Elon Musk or a senator or a writer for THREE HOURS: intelligent, serious, in-depth analysis

And making a fortune doing it

There is a market for this, question is will GB News aim for that, or just fail as another crappier Sky News?
    It hasn't been that slick tonight. And Dan Wootton has forgotten he's a presenter and not a partisan guest.

That said, some of the panelists aren't too bad and I like the different angles they're taking on certain topics.

The trap they mustn't fall into is overcompensating for the fact some of this stuff isn't covered fairly or faithfully by the MSM by angrily turning it up to 11 the other way.

Do it, yeah, but do it well and soberly.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I doubt it.

So what?
    So what? It's editing my answer. It wasn't as if it was something on a completely separate topic.
    So what though? Who cares man, your original comment was literally the post above.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Well not also being on YouTube seems like a massive mistake. TalkRadio get a lot of their traffic via it.
    In 2021, TV channels are to YouTube what pompous prog rock was to punk.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

stodge said:

If it does that, it'll be really good. However I still don't think it can be a commercial success doing that - unless it has a wealthy benefactor who doesn't care about losing money.
    The market has already shown it is possible to be commercially successful doing that. Joe Rogan counts his $100 million....Russell Brand strokes his beard, while counting his massive contract money he got from his shed where he does his show.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I doubt it.

So what?
    So what though? Who cares man, your original comment was literally the post above.
    Well clearly I care. I think it's just rude to alter the meaning or intention of someone's post. The second part of it clearly gave context for the first part.
  • Options

stodge said:

The market has already shown it is possible to be commercially successful doing that.
    I recall @rcs1000 running the numbers and coming to a different conclusion. It's much cheaper to run a YouTube channel from your bedroom rather than shelling out millions of quid on salaries.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Andrew Neil when Bozo chickened out of the interview.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Yes no YouTube live, not yet on the App Store. Massive fail.
  • Options

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Andrew Neil when Bozo chickened out of the interview.
    That explains a lot tbf
  • Options
    Neil would have been better advised doing stripped back, interviews on YouTube rather than wrapping it up in all the overproduced, anachronistic guff that goes with TV.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Doing news differently:
    👉lockdown
    👉taking the knee
    👉Harry and Meghan

THANK GOD someone is finally covering these issues

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1404168562156228619

We have found their target viewer. It's SeanT

To be fair, that'll get more viewers than Matt Chorley on Times radio.
  • Options
    Lockdown sceptics are doing their nuts over the G7 meeting and the total lack of social distancing, masks and rules.

And can you blame them?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

stodge said:

The market has already shown it is possible to be commercially successful doing that.
    I recall @rcs1000 running the numbers and coming to a different conclusion. It's much cheaper to run a YouTube channel from your bedroom rather than shelling out millions of quid on salaries.
    I meant about the long form content....i have said repeatedly I don think they will make it work with the way they have gone.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    Lord Sumption about to be interviewed on GB News.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Jonathan said:

I didn’t know her from Eve until I asked on here. Apparently she won the Apprentice?
    Yes and she had a terrible childhood, suffers bouts of depression and even suicidal thoughts, and her battle is one to be admired, not put down

Agreed, however I didn’t know any of that.
  • Options

Lockdown sceptics are doing their nuts over the G7 meeting and the total lack of social distancing, masks and rules.

And can you blame them?

There certainly was a lot of mingling going on.
  • Options
    Not enough on alien anal probing for SeanT.
  • Options

stodge said:

I meant about the long form content....i have said repeatedly I don think they will make it work with the way they have gone.
    Ah. My apologies then, but I intended to frame my answer in the context of what GB News are actually doing. Maybe they will adapt when they see what works and what doesn't?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Agreed, however I didn’t know any of that.
    Indeed but she is an inspiration to many
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,680
    Pulpstar said:

Neil Oliver talking about tides. Another series of Coast coming up ?

FFS! There can't be any places around the coast of Britain he hasn't already been to, can there?

Norwegian 'Coast' could keep him going for a few decades maybe.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Quite a goal
  • Options

stodge said:

Ah. My apologies then, but I intended to frame my answer in the context of what GB News are actually doing. Maybe they will adapt when they see what works and what doesn't?
    Roland Rat.
  • Options
    David Paton
    @cricketwyvern
    Science in 2021:
    • Think of a number, any number (as long as it's scary)
    • Double it
    • Announce to press we can’t open up because of it

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1404132859728781315
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    stodge said:

Too many subjects are too complex and nuanced to be distilled into three minute "discussions" between two opposing view points. That's where I part company with rolling news - this content-lite approach fails to educate or inform.

On this, you are dead right.

Rolling news only really works on a level that you would have to say would be bordering on distasteful - rubbernecking on an unfolding, confused, dramatic and inevitably bad news story live and uninterrupted.

Watching them pad out a slow news day by repeating the same handful of headlines every hour of the day, the whole thing looks like the pointless endeavour it really is.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Scott_xP said:

Doing news differently:
    👉lockdown
    👉taking the knee
    👉Harry and Meghan

THANK GOD someone is finally covering these issues

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1404168562156228619

We have found their target viewer. It's SeanT

To be fair, that'll get more viewers than Matt Chorley on Times radio.
    News radio shows...now that is a hiding to nothing. BBC dominant live radio, and podcasting has filled in loads of peoples listening.

Why listen to a load of morons on the radio talk about subjects they don't understand, when I can select from 1000s of experts that have podcasts.
  • Options

stodge said:

Too many subjects are too complex and nuanced to be distilled into three minute "discussions" between two opposing view points. That's where I part company with rolling news - this content-lite approach fails to educate or inform.

Rolling news only really works on a level that you would have to say would be bordering on distasteful - rubbernecking on an unfolding, confused, dramatic and inevitably bad news story live and uninterrupted.

Watching them pad out a slow news day by repeating the same handful of headlines every hour of the day, the whole thing looks like the pointless endeavour it really is.
    But are people supposed to watch "rolling news" recreationally?

It's basically designed as filler content for screens in hotels and offices, with people tuning in specifically when something big happens, or when specific programmes are on.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I think we can all agree that there should be more alien anal probing for SeanT.
    In depth analysis?
  • Options
    The thing I find odd about news channels is that they are on air essentially forever, but they are always running out of time.

Forget the clock - if there is an interesting debate in progress let it run its course.
  • Options
    Lord Sumption is very good.
  • Options
    Feck

Go Ukraine!
  • Options
    Ukraine equalise
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Netherlands 2-2 Ukraine. Goodness.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    2-2

Go Ukraine!
  • Options

The thing I find odd about news channels is that they are on air essentially forever, but they are always running out of time.

Forget the clock - if there is an interesting debate in progress let it run its course.

Because they don't really want to properly discuss anything.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    The bottom half of the draw could look very interesting after this.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Ukraine is not yet dead, nor its glory and freedom,
    Luck will still smile on us brother-Ukrainians.
    Our enemies will die, as the dew does in the sunshine,
    and we, too, brothers, we'll live happily in our land.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/nationalanthemslyrics/ukrainenationalanthemlyrics.html
  • Options

stodge said:

But are people supposed to watch "rolling news" recreationally?
    No - and that's where the distasteful angle comes in.

I've never forgotten the little bumper Sky News designed at the height of the rolling reporting of the Fukishima accident, which couldn't have screamed "WATCH ME! I'M A REAL LIFE DISASTER MOVIE!!!" any more if they'd tried.
  • Options
    Good euros so far

Lively matches, CROWDS! some excellent goals, England win, sunshine, yay
  • Options
    What's going on in the football? Last time I checked it was 2-0 to Netherlands.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I just don't get that. The BBC is the one dominant media organisation in the UK, and it takes it lead from the Guardian. It would be very rare that any of its presenters would be outed as right wing, indeed most eventually reveal their views to be left of centre. They do try to be balanced, but sometimes you can balance coverage in a strange easy, or choose not to cover things in a certain way. For this reason for many of the influential people in this country the rise of Brexit, UKIP, red wall conservatism is a complete surprise. Many of these journalists will be in the same echo chambers as the Labour party and cannot grasp how the world outside twitter functions. In the print press most newspapers are right wing, but I don't have a problem with that - I'm not forced to buy them. If I disagree with what they print I can buy my news elsewhere - they are not brainwashing their readers, but carefully reflecting their views back at them. What is truly sad is that I would pay for a centrist newspaper but I just go to the BBC and get it all for free.
  • Options
    Netherlands score
  • Options
    3-2 to Netherlands.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

"Neil Oliver who, for reasons I've never quite fathomed, annoys the Scottish cybernats."

Easy to fathom. Working-class Scot who talks sense and is pro-UK. Enough to generate paroxysms.
    Do you agree with him that lockdown is the biggest single mistake in world history?
    You don't *need* to be a cybernat to find him a pretentious prick, but it helps.
    It's the peely wally vanity that gets me.

Another **** that wears Belstaff to my chagrin.
    It's the fact he's Scottish, doesn't support Scottish Independence and has a high public profile.

Let's not pretend it's anything more than that.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Nigel! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What's going on in the football? Last time I checked it was 2-0 to Netherlands.

You're missing the best game yet
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Andy_JS said:

3-2 to Netherlands.

boo
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Jonathan said:

I think we can all agree that there should be more alien anal probing for SeanT.
    Even Mr T - it would be definitive proof of alien contact. Real close contact.
  • Options
    So how many members of Independent SAGE have been on GB News so far?

• Options
    Leon said:

Good euros so far

I love international tournament football in a way I can't love club football any longer.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    RobD said:

And can you blame them?

There certainly was a lot of mingling going on.
    I believe that the plebs ... ahem, 'waiters' ... were wearing masks.
  • Options

Leon said:

Good euros so far

I love international tournament football in a way I can't love club football any longer.
    Welcome to the club.
  • Options

Well, I've just watched 15 minutes of GB news. Dan Wooton on anti-woke stuff, just a right-wing tirade (anti-lockdown, anti-knee, anti-Harry/Meghan). To be followed by Farage, Sumption and Alan Sugar later tonight. A panel of Oliver, somebody from the Daily Express, and somebody I've never heard of. Hm - a theme seems to be developing. Fox News, eat your heart out.

It's just a diet of very right-wing guff, isn't it? No (new) news at all, just stale debates and attacks on the liberal metropolitan woke Guardian-reading leftie Labour-voting elite who apparently run everything in this country. Not sure it's necessary when these views are put forth very well by the current government.

This is the thing I don't get - the Conservative Party has double figure poll leads and a large majority in the Commons. Of what are they so frightened?

I listen to some on here who seem determined to find another front in some perpetual cultural war and fight it as though civilisation depends on it.

Er, no - the overwhelming majority of the British people aren't interested - they don't care about the "culture war". This notion of an anti-Government "elite" running everything is so daft it's astonishing it even gets an airing.

Again, it's more than a tad Orwellian - what will it be next - the 15-minute Hate?
  • Options

Leon said:

Good euros so far

Agreed. I wonder if it is something to do with them happening in the summer. A good tournament feels like a prolonged global festival, beer in the sun for everyone, which the best league football never does (it has other virtues)

And this fated summer, of course, is a summer like no other. If this is a good euro tournament and Covid finally fucks off (at least in the west) we will remember it forever, very very fondly

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    stodge said:

This is the thing I don't get - the Conservative Party has double figure poll leads and a large majority in the Commons. Of what are they so frightened?

I listen to some on here who seem determined to find another front in some perpetual cultural war and fight it as though civilisation depends on it.

Er, no - the overwhelming majority of the British people aren't interested - they don't care about the "culture war". This notion of an anti-Government "elite" running everything is so daft it's astonishing it even gets an airing.

Again, it's more than a tad Orwellian - what will it be next - the 15-minute Hate?
    Yes please, directed at Matt Hancock and those zero COVID wankers.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Leon said:

Good euros so far

Been a really good start to the tournament. Euros Fever is here!
  • Options
    The ads are all mainstream and they're rolling quite a few of them every 15 minutes, so they're obviously pulling in some funding.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    stodge said:

You seem to be assuming that GBNews = Conservative Party
  • Options

Charitably, perhaps they are looking to grab an audience with some red meat to salivate over, and develop more actual news down the line.

I don't tend to watch news regardless, so I won't know, but if they aren't going for flat out right wing news I'm not sure what market they would be going after that is not already well served.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    stodge said:

Er, no - the overwhelming majority of the British people aren't interested - they don't care about the "culture war".

Except they do

The coalition that voted for BoZo are not aligned on the economy or any other traditional Tory policies.

The only thing holding them together is the fight

BoZo's premiership ends the same day as the war...

This is the immutable logic of the new Tory electoral coalition, which is built on two blocks of voters that view economic issues very differently but tend to align in cultural issues. https://twitter.com/nickcohen4/status/1403777310415798274
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    kle4 said:

Charitably, perhaps they are looking to grab an audience with some red meat to salivate over, and develop more actual news down the line.

I don't tend to watch news regardless, so I won't know, but if they aren't going for flat out right wing news I'm not sure what market they would be going after that is not already well served.
    I watched the segment with Sumption with the footie in the background. Interesting. But too short.
  • Options
    So this new Israeli government - the new leader isn't really going to hand over in two years to his centrist partner, is he? Seems inevitable he would not do it and dare the fragile coalition to turf him out in favour of Netanyahu.
  • Options

The ads are all mainstream and they're rolling quite a few of them every 15 minutes, so they're obviously pulling in some funding.

Out of interest what would count as a non mainstream ad?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That applies to radio too. There's nothing more annoying than a good guest having 2 minutes to explain how something complicated works, and just as they get a head of steam going it's "thanks, bye, here is the news".
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I agree, but the problem is BBC News and Sky News are just left/liberal, Woke tirades most of the time, so this channel is there to balance it out.

It would be far better if each news channel was neutral, like they used to be 10 or 15 years ago.
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90
    stodge said:

Problem is the left dominate education the legal profession and the media amongst others. The conservatives lost the cultural war despite been in power manybyears
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    Hard to imagine a better advert for the BBC than half an hour of #GBNews
    https://twitter.com/TimAdamsWrites/status/1404179823992446978

Never been a better moment to thank @OpsBbc for being fantastic for what they achieve putting our News on air 24/7. #Proud
    https://twitter.com/morwenw/status/1404171323493040134
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Good euros so far

Agreed. I wonder if it is something to do with them happening in the summer. A good tournament feels like a prolonged global festival, beer in the sun for everyone, which the best league football never does (it has other virtues)

And this fated summer, of course, is a summer like no other. If this is a good euro tournament and Covid finally fucks off (at least in the west) we will remember it forever, very very fondly

It's the difference between 11 lads playing for their nation rather than making millions from a franchise.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Never been a better moment to thank @OpsBbc for being fantastic for what they achieve putting our News on air 24/7. #Proud

Remind me of the BBC's budget again?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Scott_xP said:

These criticisms might have more punch if people had not been attacking GB news for months before it had aired. As it is, that build up attack might mean more people give it benefit of the doubt before deciding it is Fox News UK.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I just don't get that. The BBC is the one dominant media organisation in the UK, and it takes it lead from the Guardian. It would be very rare that any of its presenters would be outed as right wing, indeed most eventually reveal their views to be left of centre. They do try to be balanced, but sometimes you can balance coverage in a strange easy, or choose not to cover things in a certain way. For this reason for many of the influential people in this country the rise of Brexit, UKIP, red wall conservatism is a complete surprise. Many of these journalists will be in the same echo chambers as the Labour party and cannot grasp how the world outside twitter functions. In the print press most newspapers are right wing, but I don't have a problem with that - I'm not forced to buy them. If I disagree with what they print I can buy my news elsewhere - they are not brainwashing their readers, but carefully reflecting their views back at them. What is truly sad is that I would pay for a centrist newspaper but I just go to the BBC and get it all for free.
    Is it really "very rare that any [BBC] presenters would be outed as right wing"?

Nick Robinson, Jeremy Paxman, Allegra Stratton? And whatever happened to Andrew Neil?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Is it really "very rare that any [BBC] presenters would be outed as right wing"?

Nick Robinson, Jeremy Paxman, Allegra Stratton? And whatever happened to Andrew Neil?
    If the BBC hadn't messed Neil around over politics shows then GB News would never have happened.
  • Options

Conservatives have always been well represented at the BBC.

I'm not quite sure UKIP was that much of a surprise to anyone - there were strong anti-EEC and anti-EU forces in both the Conservative and Labour parties (in 1983, had Foot won, we'd have left the EEC). The surprise was first that having offered a referendum if he won a majority, Cameron found himself forced to follow up on that pledge.

Second surprise (perhaps) was that the Conservative Party did so little to support and so much to undermine their own Prime Minister in the Referendum campaign.

As for the "Red Wall", the more I think about it the surprise is not that it fell but why it took the Conservatives so long. The destruction of Labour in the suburban north has been a project 40 years in the making - the inevitable expansion of prosperity has created a new wealthier suburban north of England which is more like its southern counterpart (or at least how it was - the South is changing as well).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

These criticisms might have more punch if people had not been attacking GB news for months before it had aired. As it is, that build up attack might mean more people give it benefit of the doubt before deciding it is Foc News UK.
    Yes these critiques are far too hasty and nervy. They come across as journalists worried that it might work, rather than actual analysis

So to that extent, GBNews has done its first day job. It has caused a stir
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,660
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Neil would have been better advised doing stripped back, interviews on YouTube rather than wrapping it up in all the overproduced, anachronistic guff that goes with TV.

Yeah, but their target audience is the oldies who want to watch the goggle box not YouTube youngsters.

It will be all stairlift and funeral plan adverts from tommorow.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

kle4 said:

I watched the segment with Sumption with the footie in the background. Interesting. But too short.
    While his writing on Covid, appealing to plenty, tends to go a bit off the rails (the chapter on Covid in his recent book comes across as if by a completely different author to the rest), he does seem like a smart choice for a launch.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

stodge said:

Problem is the left dominate education the legal profession and the media amongst others. The conservatives lost the cultural war despite been in power manybyears
    That last sentence is certainly true.

Much as I'd prefer to see left of centre parties in power, I'm increasingly of the opinion that it doesn't really matter. The advancement of social democratic ideas is pushed by changing public attitudes and politicians can only follow on behind.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Good euros so far

It's the difference between 11 lads playing for their nation rather than making millions from a franchise.
    Personally I feel club football has gotten a tad...relentless. It's just always there, always on, hopelessly oversaturated. That Mitchell and Webb sketch is funny for a reason. It will never be decided who has finally won the football.

The once every four years with the distinct feels of the Euros and World Cup doubling up to a rare event once every other year - the sheer damn novelty of it! The tight format, 3 games a day for a solid couple of weeks with (other than the WC 3rd play playoff shite) almost every game having something immediately on it, Roy Keane trying to find stuff to say about Austria versus Macedonia, the feel good feeling when the home nations or the host nation go deep...it's just tailor made for getting a couple of weeks of work and just following the whole thing as closely as you can.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dunno. Zimmer frames. Garden centres. Ads for LBC.

Not Weetabix, Deliveroo and Kelloggs.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited June 2021
    Scott_xP said:

stodge said:

Er, no - the overwhelming majority of the British people aren't interested - they don't care about the "culture war".

Except they do

The coalition that voted for BoZo are not aligned on the economy or any other traditional Tory policies.

The only thing holding them together is the fight

BoZo's premiership ends the same day as the war...

This is the immutable logic of the new Tory electoral coalition, which is built on two blocks of voters that view economic issues very differently but tend to align in cultural issues. https://twitter.com/nickcohen4/status/1403777310415798274
    I suppose, crudely put, that you could say that the Tory voter block has disparate economic but similar cultural attitudes, whereas the Labour voter block had (past tense) disparate cultural attitudes but similar economic ones. Until Labour's cultural progressives drove its cultural conservatives out. They were told to eff off and join the Tories, so they did.

FPTP requires broad, if sometimes fractious, coalitions of interests to be maintained. The Conservatives and the SNP have both been successful through welding together voters with a broad common culture, whilst burying their differences about money. Labour has chosen to pursue purity at the expense of popularity. Hence where it finds itself.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

stodge said:

You seem to be assuming that GBNews = Conservative Party
    He's also assuming that the current Conservative Party is in any way culturally conservative. The idea that the current government should assuage fears, or indeed that elections make the blindest bit of difference to the current swing of the pendulum on culture is laughable.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    Andy_JS said:

I agree, but the problem is BBC News and Sky News are just left/liberal, Woke tirades most of the time, so this channel is there to balance it out.

It would be far better if each news channel was neutral, like they used to be 10 or 15 years ago.
    I'm sorry, I disagree. I've never seen anything on BBC/Sky like the right-wing tirade I've just seen from Dan Wooton on GB News. BBC/Sky may be left/liberal/woke (or not), but they don't allow any presenters that sort of leeway to just opinionate in lecture form.
  • Options

stodge said:

That last sentence is certainly true.

Much as I'd prefer to see left of centre parties in power, I'm increasingly of the opinion that it doesn't really matter.
    Governments are not ideologically coherent at the best of times. Every now and then a big policy of change will happen (occasionally even for the better!), we've seen that, but for most issues it's a big old mess, and a circular one at that as old ideas get rehashed, and they gravitate to doing what is achievable in a quick way, which tends to limit the range of options for a government be it left or right.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

If the BBC hadn't messed Neil around over politics shows then GB News would never have happened.
    The BBC are good at that. They did it as well over Clarkson* and Top Gear leading to Amazon's Grand Tour.

(*Although Clarkson's language and behaviour was poor the show was poorly organised and the issue badly handled afterwards)
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dunno. Zimmer frames. Garden centres. Ads for LBC.

Not Weetabix, Deliveroo and Kelloggs.
    Ads for ads perhaps? Nothing sadder than a big old space with 'you could place your ad here, where no one else chose to apparently'.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I'm sorry, I disagree. I've never seen anything on BBC/Sky like the right-wing tirade I've just seen from Dan Wooton on GB News. BBC/Sky may be left/liberal/woke (or not), but they don't allow any presenters that sort of leeway to just opinionate in lecture form.
    It all depends on your perspective. If you're as far-right as @Andy_JS anything broadly central looks way to the left.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Don't forget Laura ('Boris is my best mate') Kuennsberg.
This discussion has been closed.