Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rishi Sunak looks like a homunculus. This may stymie his leadership ambitions – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2021 in General
imageRishi Sunak looks like a homunculus. This may stymie his leadership ambitions – politicalbetting.com

The picture above isn’t a photoshop but from the official MOD twitter account, see here. Whilst I don’t want to turn this article into an episode of Father Ted it is clear from past evidence that Rishi Sunak is shorter than most politicians, something which he tries to hide which leads to weird photos.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 10,703
    First ?
    There was a Dr Who story that had the Peking Homunculus in it. A rather good one too
    We need the old John Beck style,route 1.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,763
    Was everyone's favourite GOT character not Tyrion Lannister? He was certainly mine.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Only solution to that. Grow outwards.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    DavidL said:

Was everyone's favourite GOT character not Tyrion Lannister? He was certainly mine.

Joffrey was my favourite character.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

DavidL said:

Mine was Daenerys Targaryen
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

All this ein Reich stuff very much has the air of we fucked it so now we have to mightily overcompensate and hope people don't notice.

Definitely an air of “The lady doth protest too much, methinks”.
    Also curiously tin eared for such a populist government. I'd imagine more than half the populations of Eng, Wal & Sco would be actively hostile to being told that the don't have their own nations. NI is of course it's own case, but I'd bet at least half won't like being told 'you're British and there's an end to it!'
    They don't, they are ceremonial countries only and in reality just regions of the UK, the only sovereign nation in GB and Northern Ireland
    You do talk arrogant nonsense

They all have devolved administrations and first ministers

Indeed each has handled covid differently and their administrations are elected by their populace
    England doesn't, but hey-ho, what do we matter?
    Westminster is the de facto English parliament and controls the colonies as well.
    No it isn't.

How many MSPs does Yorkshire return?

DavidL said:

Mine was Daenerys Targaryen
    Tell a lie, it was Diana Rigg's character.

I don't think I've ever fully recovered from her dropping the c bomb.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,087
    How much is the problem Rishi's dinky stature, and how much is it the absurd lengths he goes to hide it in photos?

A bit like how bald is bad but combover coverup is worse?

How much is the problem Rishi's dinky stature, and how much is it the absurd lengths he goes to hide it in photos?

A bit like how bald is bad but combover coverup is worse?

Yes, it is a Streisand effect.
    edited June 2021
    On topic: sounds like an argument for not electing women to high office. Yet diminutive stature hasn't exactly got in the way of Nicola Sturgeon, for example.

Besides, if a quick Google is to be believed, Sunak is only 5cm shorter than Johnson.

On topic: sounds like an argument for not electing women to high office. Hasn't got in the way of Nicola Sturgeon, for example.

Besides, if a quick Google is to be believed, Sunak is only 5cm shorter than Johnson.

He really isn't.

He wears platforms.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

All this ein Reich stuff very much has the air of we fucked it so now we have to mightily overcompensate and hope people don't notice.

Definitely an air of “The lady doth protest too much, methinks”.
    Also curiously tin eared for such a populist government. I'd imagine more than half the populations of Eng, Wal & Sco would be actively hostile to being told that the don't have their own nations. NI is of course it's own case, but I'd bet at least half won't like being told 'you're British and there's an end to it!'
    They don't, they are ceremonial countries only and in reality just regions of the UK, the only sovereign nation in GB and Northern Ireland
    You do talk arrogant nonsense

They all have devolved administrations and first ministers

Indeed each has handled covid differently and their administrations are elected by their populace
    England doesn't, but hey-ho, what do we matter?
    Westminster is the de facto English parliament and controls the colonies as well.
    We let them control their own affairs. Joe Biden was freely elected.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    edited June 2021
    Taz said:

There was a Dr Who story that had the Peking Homunculus in it. A rather good one too

Sadly ‘controversial’ now as the Chinese characters were played by white actors... great story though, one of Robert Holmes’ best. Was talk of it leading to a spin off, in the way that modern who did several times.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited June 2021
    Boris isn't that tall either to be fair.

More worrying for Sunak is this Mori poll last week showing if Boris still leads the Tories into the next general election and beats Starmer and then Burnham returns to Parliament and succeeds Sir Keir as Labour leader, if Boris then steps down as PM before the 2028/29 general election having done 10 years at No 10 then Burnham would narrowly be preferred by voters to Sunak as PM

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1402191268160151554?s=20
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

On topic: sounds like an argument for not electing women to high office. Yet diminutive stature hasn't exactly got in the way of Nicola Sturgeon, for example.

5cm is quite a lot. And as I said, there’s a material difference in the outward growth.
    Best get used to this photograph, this is the picture that will adorn all future Rishi threads.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited June 2021
    Such height discrimination! He is short, but that soldier even with perspective seems to be giant.

But if he is a homunculus he had best be careful - did not Boris once talk about bloviating homunculi, or did I imagine that?
    HYUFD said:

Boris isn't that tall either to be fair.

More worrying for Sunak is this Mori poll last week showing if Boris still leads the Tories into the next general election and beats Starmer and then Burnham returns to Parliament and succeeds Sir Keir as Labour leader, if Boris then steps down as PM before the 2028/29 general election having done 10 years at No 10 then Burnham would narrowly be preferred by voters to Sunak as PM

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1402191268160151554?s=20

Oh Lord! Who comes up with these b******t questions?

On topic: sounds like an argument for not electing women to high office. Hasn't got in the way of Nicola Sturgeon, for example.

He really isn't.

He wears platforms.
    So did Abba, didn't stop them from going down a storm in this country.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Nice to see the majority of the fans drown out the minority that booed.

That's why it doesn't matter if some people boo if they want - majority opinion will determine whether they keep at it or not, there's no need to compete in histrionic comdemnations.
    We'll have a little Rishi,
    Cause he's a little dishy
    We'll have a little Rishi
    When the boat comes in.

He really isn't.

He wears platforms.
    Rishi is no ABBA.
  • VompVomp Posts: 36
    Sorry for being off-topic but hopefully no-one will mind. What ancient building is this, shown in Dominic Cummings's main profile photo on his new Substack account? I thought at first that might be Petra but it's probably somewhere else.

image.

Best get used to this photograph, this is the picture that will adorn all future Rishi threads.

Even when the perspective effect is reversed, he still looks tiny.

Taz said:

Sadly ‘controversial’ now as the Chinese characters were played by white actors... great story though, one of Robert Holmes’ best. Was talk of it leading to a spin off, in the way that modern who did several times.
    Only one Chinese character was played by a white man, John Bennett. Part one was also a problem due to the use of nunchucks. It’s a fu Manchu parody/homage. I know fans talk about Holmes but it really is fu Manchu

Big finish audio did several series of the spin offs and pretty good they were too.
    Right, time for a goal.
    4-3 Tsitsipas now in Paris. Djokovic has just taken a heavy fall, but appears to have survived unscathed.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Just 4 mentions of China in 25 page document, none of them critical. This part is the closest the G7 comes, a call to respect human rights. EU nations have blocked US/UK bids to be more critical.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1404070157375479810?s=21
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Only one Chinese character was played by a white man, John Bennett. Part one was also a problem due to the use of nunchucks. It’s a fu Manchu parody/homage. I know fans talk about Holmes but it really is fu Manchu

Big finish audio did several series of the spin offs and pretty good they were too.
    I love the characters Holmes creates, admittedly within the fu Manchu inspired story. His characters always seem like people not cyphers.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,061

He really isn't.

He wears platforms.
    Rishi is no ABBA.
    Particularly when he sings Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie...
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Just 4 mentions of China in 25 page document, none of them critical. This part is the closest the G7 comes, a call to respect human rights. EU nations have blocked US/UK bids to be more critical.

And FBPE clowns think the USA is going to side with the EU 🤦‍♂️
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    Croatia looking more dangerous

Half time is good for England
    Can see Croatia nicking this
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 403
    An alien watching this match would be hard pressed to pick out the England ‘player’ who thinks he is worth a £300m contract with his pick of the top European clubs…

Taz said:

Taz said:

I love the characters Holmes creates, admittedly within the fu Manchu inspired story. His characters always seem like people not cyphers.
    He also really did well with double acts too. Egrorian and Pindar in the Blake’s 7 story Orbit really shine.
    edited June 2021
    Remember the “Johnson won’t talk to the foreign press” whinge:

@HugoGye Johnson took three questions from UK newspapers, and two from "foreign outlets" (NYT and La Repubblica).

He really isn't.

He wears platforms.
    Rishi is no ABBA.
    Oh I don't know - after Johnson's out of the way, Sunak, Patel, Kwarteng and Truss could form quite the awesome foursome. Now, CCHQ just needs to find them all silver flared jumpsuits to hit the campaign trail in...
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    Taz said:

The Peking Homunculus had the brain of a pig, if I remember correctly. So there are all kinds of parallels to our present leaders.

An alien watching this match would be hard pressed to pick out the England ‘player’ who thinks he is worth a £300m contract with his pick of the top European clubs…

Phillips playing very well, shame about the second worst haircut on the field.

Can see Croatia nicking this

Well quite. We know full well how this story probably ends.

Meanwhile, Tsitsipas now 5-4 ahead. Quality, competitive contest.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Who’s taller: Rishi Sunak or Priti Patel?

That could be the crucial question in the next Tory leadership election.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited June 2021

He really isn't.

He wears platforms.
    Rishi is no ABBA.
    Oh I don't know - after Johnson's out of the way, Sunak, Patel, Kwarteng and Truss could form quite the awesome foursome. Now, CCHQ just needs to find them all silver flared jumpsuits to hit the campaign trail in...
    The prospects for a party after a charismatic, election winning dominant leader like Boris are not good however, eg Wilson won 4 elections and was followed as party leader by Callaghan, Foot and Kinnock who all lost. Thatcher won 3 elections but was followed by Major who one once and was then trounced, then Hague and Howard who both lost and Blair won 3 elections and was followed by Brown, Miliband and Corbyn who also all lost.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Vomp said:

Sorry for being off-topic but hopefully no-one will mind. What ancient building is this, shown in Dominic Cummings's main profile photo on his new Substack account? I thought at first that might be Petra but it's probably somewhere else.

image.

Aegina?
    tlg86 said:

Sunak.

He says he is 5ft 6 (but that is with platforms) and Patel is 5ft 3.
    tlg86 said:

Priti Patel is tiny. I can remember her needing a little ramp to reach the lectern at the old Covid press conferences.
    tlg86 said:

Rishi is 3” taller at 5’6”
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    tlg86 said:

Patel may be shorter but doesn't appear relatively as being that short.

Possibly both because she has much more outwards girth than Rishi has, plus because she's female so expectations for height are lower.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Boos 1 Cheers 1
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    edited June 2021
    I can't help but think that there is a very large overlap between those who boo the opposing team's national anthem and those who boo the rather innocuous anti-racism gesture at the start of the game. 'Twas ever thus.

Vomp said:

image.

Aegina?
    I think it might be Siwa.
    Are England going to bring Harry Kane on for the second half? I am sure that they missed him.
    edited June 2021

I can't help but think that there is a very large overlap between those who boo the opposing team's national anthem and those who boo the rather innocuous anti-racism gesture at the start of the game. 'Twas ever thus.

My favourite national anthem booing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2010/sep/08/scotland-liechtenstein-national-anthem-jeered

Scottish FA apologise to Liechtenstein after national anthem jeered
    tlg86 said:

My favourite national anthem booing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2010/sep/08/scotland-liechtenstein-national-anthem-jeered

Scottish FA apologise to Liechtenstein after national anthem jeered
    It's all part of the pantomime - it doesn't mean anything really
  • pingping Posts: 3,724

Yep. Same dickheads.
    Djokovic breaks; Tsitsipas breaks straight back. 6-6. Tie break time.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    The fake crowd noise had more atmosphere than this lot
  • VompVomp Posts: 36

Vomp said:

image.

Aegina?
    Great work. Many thanks, @Black_Rook. It's the Temple of Amun, also known as the Temple of the Oracle, at Siwa.
    “But England’s gonna throw it away”
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

What does FBEP refer to?

I've seen is mentioned a few times but unable to woke out from contest.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

The same bunch of boors
    BigRich said:

What does FBEP refer to?

"Follow Back Pro Europe" I believe. One of the stupidest things I've ever seen.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    It's not Sunak's height that's the problem. Johnson is only a tad taller at five seven. The problem - if it is - is his general diddiness.
    BigRich said:

What does FBEP refer to?

“follow back pro Europe” I think
    GET IN

BigRich said:

What does FBEP refer to?

It started from the belief that there were thousands of Russian bots, so people decided to form their own echo chamber network to amplify their viewpoint.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

Vomp said:

image.

Aegina?
    I was toying with adding Siwa to an Egypt itinerary for when the new Phaoronic museum opens.
    Good goal. Philips has been excellent.
    DavidL said:

Well of course, he's a Yorkshireman.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    Notice BBC commentator telling fans to get back in their groups of 6

Give it a rest
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

tlg86 said:

Rishi is 3” taller at 5’6”
    Priti is probably closer to average height.

DavidL said:

Henderson has lost his place, that's for sure.
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Henderson has lost his place, that's for sure.
    He'll be back in this tournament, you can't leave out a Premier League, Champions League, and World Club Cup winning midfielder and captain for long,
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

What does FBEP refer to?

It started from the belief that there were thousands of Russian bots, so people decided to form their own echo chamber network to amplify their viewpoint.
    So its an expression, used used as a collective identity, at least initially by people who identify as 'Follow back pro Europe'

Vomp said:

image.

Aegina?
    I was toying with adding Siwa to an Egypt itinerary for when the new Phaoronic museum opens.
    I spent a few days there a while back. Had fun clinging on for dear life to the roof rack of a 4x4 as we went driving up and down the dunes.

Otherwise, nice and relaxing - a bit out of the way, though.
    Biden Press Conference - questions on either China or Putin. Brexit/NI - none, strange given reports it “overshadowed the G7 meeting.”
    Christian Eriksen suffered a cardiac arrest and was “gone” after collapsing against Finland on Saturday, according to the Denmark team doctor Morten Boesen.

Boesen added that they “got him (Eriksen) back” after using the pitch-side defibrillator.

Earlier on Sunday, the Danish FA confirmed that the Inter Milan player was awake and had spoken to his team-mates.

What has been said?
    “We got him back after one defib,” Boesen said. “That’s quite fast. How close were we? I don’t know.”

On Sunday, Denmark head coach Kasper Hjulmand said Eriksen told him: “I don’t remember much but I’m more concerned about you guys — how are you doing?”

Hjulmand added: ”That’s typical Christian. It was good to see him smile.”

https://theathletic.com/news/christian-eriksen-cardiac-arrest-latest/9wqyknzn5qJN
    ping said:

This is a group to come second in.
    Foxy said:

ping said:

Nah. If we want to win, we'll need to beat the big boys at some point. Bring them on.
    Would still like to see Shaw combining down the left with Sterling.
    I know nobody else much cares, but... first set Tsitsipas, on the tie break.

That lasted nearly 70 minutes. Could be in for a long evening in Paris.
    Foxy said:

ping said:

I disagree, we want to avoid having to play France and then one of Belgium or Italy before the final.

More chance of losing in the last 16, but winning the group is the easier route to the final.

I care, I hope the antivaxxer gets smashed.
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

I disagree, we want to avoid having to play France and then one of Belgium or Italy before the final.

More chance of losing in the last 16, but winning the group is the easier route to the final.
    If you want to be the best you have to beat the best.
    @HugoGye Joe Biden took zero questions from non-US media at his press conference just now.

Stick that in your #FBPE pipe & smoke it!
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

I don't think it really possible to anticipate group positions that closely.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    edited June 2021

Yes, Tsitsipas is a force on clay. He could do it. Djoko can't play better than in his semi. Indeed nobody can.

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

Portugal showed the benefit of getting on the easier side of the draw. Perhaps second would be better if France also look like coming second.

I care, I hope the antivaxxer gets smashed.
    Tsitsipas has seized the initiative. Djokovic broken in first game of the second set.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749

Angela on her way home:

SNIPPED

Careful, people have been arrested for similar posts.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

Portugal showed the benefit of getting on the easier side of the draw. Perhaps second would be better if France also look like coming second.
    Yeah but it's not a winning mentality. Our team needs to be willing and ready to face, and beat, anyone. Talk of "easier" draws means fear when you eventually face the "good" teams. We want them to fear us.
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

I don't think it really possible to anticipate group positions that closely.
    I think finishing second means we will almost certainly have to beat the Group F winner in the QF and then one of Italy or Belgium in the SF.

I’d rather only have to beat one of those three than two. We should be able to beat GER-SPA-HOL, with the L16 at Wembley.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    Foxy said:

ping said:

As the actress said to the bishop.
    Now 7-6, 2-0...
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,917

Hope Tsitsipas wins :)
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Is it me or has time slowed down :neutral:
    Pickford's kicking has been a bit off today
This discussion has been closed.