Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi Sunak looks like a homunculus. This may stymie his leadership ambitions – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited June 2021
    At a population (national) level there are a few objectives wrt Covid

i) Don't create new variants. That can be achieved by having a high level of vaccinations amongst the population, even if the vaccinations are not sterlising.
    ii) Don't overwhelm the health service. This can be achieved by having high levels of vax amongst the more vulnerable. We got here a while ago in the UK.

Lockdowns simply delay the path to herd immunity, which must be created through a combination of infection and vaccination. After the more vulnerable have had the opportunity to be vaccinated is it right to still have restrictions on everyone, particularly as quite soon every adult will have had the opportunity to be single vaxxed. I fear the zero covidians wish to get the number of cases down to zero sans herd immunity. That's not a permanent solution.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Just as Boris is about to make an economically suicidal decision to extend lockdown the numbers are turning. Delta is running into walls of vaccinated people everywhere it turns. It's quickly burning through the unvaccinated by choice which is hospitalises and the young unvaccinated by policy who just get on with life after a mild cough. The nation is shrugging this off and the scientists are trying to push their agenda against the very clear data that Delta poses little to no threat to the NHS.

If things go well, he'll claim to have been vindicated.

Whilst this would be annoying, if it emboldens him enough to unlock next month and tell the Zero Covidiots to do one then, in the round, that would still be a good result.

Not much help if your business or livelihood has been destroyed by one more month of needless faffing, but at least there might finally be some hope that the bloody rules are going to come to an end.
    Hopefully it will only be two weeks as the drum beat for ignoring the idiot zero COVID scientists heats up. If at the end of next week the case numbers are stable or dropping then he has to unlock. What's the point of having a government if all they're going to do is accept the policies of unelected and unaccountable scientists.
    I actually agree with the bit in bold. It seems a bit more moderate and sober than your views earlier/yesterday, unless I'm mistaken? But it does suggest that tomorrow's announcement would have to be a holding operation.
    If cases are falling we really don't have a problem. But to be honest it looks more like a weekend effect.
    Interestingly, perhaps, the week on week rise has fallen four days in a row.

Noise?
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90
    If lockdown continues a debate has to be started about maybe a lockdown tax so those who have so far benefited from lockdowns start to feel the financial pain
  • Options
    Those who support lockdown have to be squeezed financially now
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

i) Don't create new variants. That can be achieved by having a high level of vaccinations amongst the population, even if the vaccinations are not sterlising.
    ii) Don't overwhelm the health service. This can be achieved by having high levels of vax amongst the more vulnerable. We got here a while ago in the UK.

Lockdowns simply delay the path to herd immunity, which must be created through a combination of infection and vaccination. After the more vulnerable have had the opportunity to be vaccinated is it right to still have restrictions on everyone, particularly as quite soon every adult will have had the opportunity to be single vaxxed. I fear the zero covidians wish to get the number of cases down to zero sans herd immunity. That's not a permanent solution.

Indeed. It’s simply deferring the exit wave until the autumn. Not wise.
  • Options
    Shortly we're going to be at the stage where we have restrictions due to the Gov't worrying about the antivaxxers (Even though they're not bothered about Covid themselves), and young people who are at low risk.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    stodge said:

Late afternoon all :)

Mrs Stodge and I have had our first BBQ of the summer - very pleasant.

I mentioned this yesterday - very long queues at the local Leisure Centre:

https://www.newham.gov.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-19-vaccination/12

Next weekend, an even bigger event planned for Stratford:

https://www.newham.gov.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-19-vaccination/13

Anyone 25+ in NE London who wants a first vaccination can book up for this - it'll be interesting to see if this feeds through into the national figures. Long overdue of course.

Mrs Stodge is worried having seen this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9681613/Study-shows-29-people-died-catching-new-strain-vaccinations.html

If I were being a bluff old cynic or a little contrarian perhaps, I'd suggest a story like this has been "planted" to terrify the doubly vaccinated into supporting an extension of restrictionss.

It’s 29% of 42, ie 14 people, a tiny number.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Anyone 25+ in NE London who wants a first vaccination can book up for this - it'll be interesting to see if this feeds through into the national figures. Long overdue of course.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9681613/Study-shows-29-people-died-catching-new-strain-vaccinations.html

If I were being a bluff old cynic or a little contrarian perhaps, I'd suggest a story like this has been "planted" to terrify the doubly vaccinated into supporting an extension of restrictionss.

I'd wager all old and with comorbidities too. That's very different to how Covid affects an unvaxxed pop.
  • Options

An indepth thread on what's called "pivot to elimination" strategy. Zero covid in other words.

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1403990026065793024

She really is the devil, isn’t she?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,011

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Down here in Brighton, far away from the North West hot spots, cases have risen from a handful a day 10 days ago to over 50 a day now. Still pretty small, but two questions: a) will the rise continue at this rate; and b) will this end up in hospitalisations? Too early to answer either so far with any certainty (despite some claims on here), as the rise is so recent. I'm pretty sure it can be traced back to the bedlam down here last Bank Holiday, when there was no sign of any restrictions, let alone lockdown. My fingers are crossed.

Very hard to tell, isn't it? Cases are rising in most of the country, it's just that the rate of increase beyond the worst-hit areas is fairly pedestrian.

I'm guessing that the combination of high vaccine take-up in most areas, augmented by this very welcome outbreak of hot, sunny conditions, will crush Delta. Moreover, even in the very worst hit areas, the rate of hospitalisation is still very modest compared with previous waves.

Anybody who's been jabbed and still gets seriously sick with this thing now can count themselves very, very unlucky indeed.
    I'm not sure however that the hot weather will do its magic as quickly as we might like when the pubs are packing up with football supporters :(

And at the moment it's almost too hot to be outside.
    Depends on the extent to which you think pubs have made any difference to this catastrophe at any stage.

Some would contend that hospitality has been a scapegoat in all of this from the outset, and that the bulk of transmission has occurred in hospitals, supermarkets and private homes. Hopefully the true nature of the likely patterns of infection will be one of the many things to be elucidated via the public inquiry.
    I think measures have to continue in hospitals, but NHS England have told us that already.
    In the event of common sense prevailing rather than model-driven panic, I would still have expected control measures to remain in healthcare settings, masks to continue on public transport, and perhaps the WFH advice to be left in place (although the evidence I see from my window of the train station car park suggests that quite a lot of businesses are taking a relaxed attitude to that already.) Leave residual control measures in place until it can be demonstrated that the thing has basically burned itself out.

But the rest of the nonsense really ought to go; air bridges should be opened to other countries with similar levels of infection and vaccination coverage, when these data allow; and there should be statistical targets set for the removal of the residual control measures at home. Certainly if the third wave does, pray God, turn out to be a damp squib then (bearing in mind that the SPI-M modellers made a hash of their Spring forecasts as well) we really ought to chuck all their predictions in the dustbin.
    The government is confident the backlash to their delay is essentially going to be meh?

But here is the thing. Are they correct? how big will the 'backlash' be, if there is a backlash at all?
    There'll be a lot of distraught brides all over the TV if the wedding rules aren't relaxed, but more broadly the Government's core support is derived from old farts who approve of lockdowns, so they'll be fine.
    Fair enough BR, but labour's stance is interesting. One thing young people love to do is travel, and today Thornberry ruled it out for.....well....ever.

Yes the govt has no fear. Pensioners will always support lockdowns to feel safe
    Really? My retired friends are all champing at the bit to be allowed out to enjoy themselves. They have spent 15 months being f***ing bored with nothing to do. When at least work has given me something to do between 9 and 5.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

Those who support lockdown have to be squeezed financially now

How will you identify them?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Just as Boris is about to make an economically suicidal decision to extend lockdown the numbers are turning. Delta is running into walls of vaccinated people everywhere it turns. It's quickly burning through the unvaccinated by choice which is hospitalises and the young unvaccinated by policy who just get on with life after a mild cough. The nation is shrugging this off and the scientists are trying to push their agenda against the very clear data that Delta poses little to no threat to the NHS.

Whilst this would be annoying, if it emboldens him enough to unlock next month and tell the Zero Covidiots to do one then, in the round, that would still be a good result.

Not much help if your business or livelihood has been destroyed by one more month of needless faffing, but at least there might finally be some hope that the bloody rules are going to come to an end.
    Hopefully it will only be two weeks as the drum beat for ignoring the idiot zero COVID scientists heats up. If at the end of next week the case numbers are stable or dropping then he has to unlock. What's the point of having a government if all they're going to do is accept the policies of unelected and unaccountable scientists.
    I actually agree with the bit in bold. It seems a bit more moderate and sober than your views earlier/yesterday, unless I'm mistaken? But it does suggest that tomorrow's announcement would have to be a holding operation.
    If cases are falling we really don't have a problem. But to be honest it looks more like a weekend effect.

Noise?
    I don’t think so.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Bibi out.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

tlg86 said:

BBC News bulletin headline is that we won a football match. Is it really the biggest story of the day?

On the one hand, cue avalanche of moaning emails from viewers outside of England. And a fair few inside England who are bored rigid by football.

On the other, it makes a welcome change from death and misery.
    Yes it was

I had a day out with my wife and her brothers family yesterday followed by a takeaway at our place.

We went to the zoo and there were loads of couples and families just enjoying life

Today I watched the footie and bunch of fans singing their hears out and living life followed by a wonderful walk through some woods with my dog in the glorious sunshine.

A very welcome change and a lift to my spirits

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Meanwhile in Russia

https://twitter.com/sarahrainsford/status/1403992787276767233

meanwhile, Moscow records 7704 new cases & 1573 people admitted to hospital

these figures are back at peak levels last seen in december & likely to climb as ppl are not getting vaccinated

new restrictions just re-introduced incl 2300 curfew for bars, parks 'only for walking in'
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    Had another go on the betting markets

This time Ukraine Asian Handicap +1.5 @1.65

We’ll see
  • Options
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Genius goal by Austria

Er. he seems quite angry?

He's a knobhead.
    What's the backstory? Hates fans? Hates Macedonia? Hates a quiet celebration?
    He just seems to fall out with everyone. Jose Mourinho was his coach at Inter Milan and according to Wikipedia said that he "is a fantastic person but has the attitude of a child"

That was 11 years ago and I’m not sure much has changed.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

I'd wager all old and with comorbidities too. That's very different to how Covid affects an unvaxxed pop.
    As has been pointed out by the statisticians and medicos of their parish, that actually means a very high level of protectiveness from the vaccines, given the skews in age and vulnerability in this getting serious COVID vs general population.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    tlg86 said:

Bibi out.

60 votes to 59.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

The week on week percentage rise in positive tests has fallen for the last four days IIRC.

Noise?

There's a few seriously encouraging signs in today's data. Many of the districts with the most positives - BwD, Salford, Stockport - appear to have turned a corner and are now heading down again; others have at least flattened and are no longer exponentiating. This is counterbalanced by growth in other districts who are further back in the same trend. But the encouraging thing is that there appears to be a maxima which is not disastrously high - the virus soon runs out of people to infect and localised R falls below 1.
    Might be a crackpot theory, but I'm wondering if the Step 3 restrictions at current vax levels might actually be enough to push R under 1.
    I know, I know, we've seen big growth in the hotspots despite all that, but what if it was simply the fact that compliance with the remaining restrictions is somewhere between ragged and sparse?
    Until an area becomes a hotspot, people think "Oh shit, it's not gone away yet," and start following the restrictions again more closely - and spread starts to level off and come down again.

If so, we just might be closer to full-on herd immunity than feared.
    I think it's more likely that the virus burns through the active unvaccinated very quickly in a given area and then runs out of viable hosts within two or three weeks, especially those of the vulnerable kind that might be hospitalised given the high rates of double vaxxing and lower rate of general activity. London is going to have a pretty awful third wave IMO but ultimately that's because of fools who have rejected the vaccine.
    My GP neighbour says all of his patients who are testing positive are those who refused vaccination. That is the population it is working through, so quite a small pool for the virus to fish in, and diminishing all the time one way or another.
    Newham is in big trouble then judging by what one of our posters says about anti vax attitudes down there.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,661
    Paging @Leon...

Marjorie Taylor Greene says COVID is a bioweapon because God would never create a fatal illness that harms people https://t.co/fAiPkTCJw3
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

The week on week percentage rise in positive tests has fallen for the last four days IIRC.

Noise?

There's a few seriously encouraging signs in today's data. Many of the districts with the most positives - BwD, Salford, Stockport - appear to have turned a corner and are now heading down again; others have at least flattened and are no longer exponentiating. This is counterbalanced by growth in other districts who are further back in the same trend. But the encouraging thing is that there appears to be a maxima which is not disastrously high - the virus soon runs out of people to infect and localised R falls below 1.
    Might be a crackpot theory, but I'm wondering if the Step 3 restrictions at current vax levels might actually be enough to push R under 1.
    I know, I know, we've seen big growth in the hotspots despite all that, but what if it was simply the fact that compliance with the remaining restrictions is somewhere between ragged and sparse?
    Until an area becomes a hotspot, people think "Oh shit, it's not gone away yet," and start following the restrictions again more closely - and spread starts to level off and come down again.

I think it's more likely that the virus burns through the active unvaccinated very quickly in a given area and then runs out of viable hosts within two or three weeks, especially those of the vulnerable kind that might be hospitalised given the high rates of double vaxxing and lower rate of general activity. London is going to have a pretty awful third wave IMO but ultimately that's because of fools who have rejected the vaccine.
    My GP neighbour says all of his patients who are testing positive are those who refused vaccination. That is the population it is working through, so quite a small pool for the virus to fish in, and diminishing all the time one way or another.
    Newham is in big trouble then judging by what one of our posters says about anti vax attitudes down there.
    Parts of Leicester too.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Paging @Leon...

Marjorie Taylor Greene says COVID is a bioweapon because God would never create a fatal illness that harms people https://t.co/fAiPkTCJw3

Who created the Sweating Sickness then? A medieval Chinese lab in Wuhan?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Foxy said:

Paging @Leon...

Yes, there may be a teensy flaw in her proof...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    “The head of France’s 🇫🇷armed forces has resigned amid a row over his handling of retired generals accused of fomenting insurrection.
    Gen Lecointre would step down to avoid being dragged into a political debate before next year’s presidential election.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/general-francois-lecointre-quits-as-head-of-frances-armed-forces-srpp2xwzx
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Noise?

Difficult to have much sympathy for people who refused the vaccine.
  • Options

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Down here in Brighton, far away from the North West hot spots, cases have risen from a handful a day 10 days ago to over 50 a day now. Still pretty small, but two questions: a) will the rise continue at this rate; and b) will this end up in hospitalisations? Too early to answer either so far with any certainty (despite some claims on here), as the rise is so recent. I'm pretty sure it can be traced back to the bedlam down here last Bank Holiday, when there was no sign of any restrictions, let alone lockdown. My fingers are crossed.

Very hard to tell, isn't it? Cases are rising in most of the country, it's just that the rate of increase beyond the worst-hit areas is fairly pedestrian.

I'm guessing that the combination of high vaccine take-up in most areas, augmented by this very welcome outbreak of hot, sunny conditions, will crush Delta. Moreover, even in the very worst hit areas, the rate of hospitalisation is still very modest compared with previous waves.

Anybody who's been jabbed and still gets seriously sick with this thing now can count themselves very, very unlucky indeed.
    I'm not sure however that the hot weather will do its magic as quickly as we might like when the pubs are packing up with football supporters :(

And at the moment it's almost too hot to be outside.
    Depends on the extent to which you think pubs have made any difference to this catastrophe at any stage.

Some would contend that hospitality has been a scapegoat in all of this from the outset, and that the bulk of transmission has occurred in hospitals, supermarkets and private homes. Hopefully the true nature of the likely patterns of infection will be one of the many things to be elucidated via the public inquiry.
    I think measures have to continue in hospitals, but NHS England have told us that already.
    In the event of common sense prevailing rather than model-driven panic, I would still have expected control measures to remain in healthcare settings, masks to continue on public transport, and perhaps the WFH advice to be left in place (although the evidence I see from my window of the train station car park suggests that quite a lot of businesses are taking a relaxed attitude to that already.) Leave residual control measures in place until it can be demonstrated that the thing has basically burned itself out.

But the rest of the nonsense really ought to go; air bridges should be opened to other countries with similar levels of infection and vaccination coverage, when these data allow; and there should be statistical targets set for the removal of the residual control measures at home. Certainly if the third wave does, pray God, turn out to be a damp squib then (bearing in mind that the SPI-M modellers made a hash of their Spring forecasts as well) we really ought to chuck all their predictions in the dustbin.
    The government is confident the backlash to their delay is essentially going to be meh?

But here is the thing. Are they correct? how big will the 'backlash' be, if there is a backlash at all?
    There'll be a lot of distraught brides all over the TV if the wedding rules aren't relaxed, but more broadly the Government's core support is derived from old farts who approve of lockdowns, so they'll be fine.
    Fair enough BR, but labour's stance is interesting. One thing young people love to do is travel, and today Thornberry ruled it out for.....well....ever.

Yes the govt has no fear. Pensioners will always support lockdowns to feel safe
    Really? My retired friends are all champing at the bit to be allowed out to enjoy themselves. They have spent 15 months being f***ing bored with nothing to do. When at least work has given me something to do between 9 and 5.
    What I mean is retired people are happy with restrictions as they are now as many just like a quiet meal when they go out. I do not think.live music and dancing bothers them
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Noise?

Parts of Leicester too.

Sadly, Leicester has had a torrid time with all this.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

BBC News bulletin headline is that we won a football match. Is it really the biggest story of the day?

No it isn't. Also, a large percentage of the population aren't particularly interested in sport.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Noise?

Parts of Leicester too.
    We can probably add socio-economic and racial inequalities to the list of moans to be deployed by the Zero Covidians.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Noise?

Parts of Leicester too.

Are there still people in Leicester who haven’t had it yet? The poor place seems to have been a hotspot for a year or more. Damn virus must run out of people to infect eventually.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    edited June 2021

Pulpstar said:

In theory yes. In reality I don't think a delay has any real impact on behaviour other than ruining your life if you own a pub/nightclub, or want to get married. The government is operating in a fantasy world where it can dial cases up and down from whitehall, but in reality people are now living their lives so the only impact of delaying the final stage will be financial and marital misery for some. Not a good thing, but if there's going to be an exit wave, it's happening now either way.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Noise?

Parts of Leicester too.

Are there still people in Leicester who haven’t had it yet? The poor place seems to have been a hotspot for a year or more. Damn virus must run out of people to infect eventually.
    It seems to take some time about it!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    tlg86 said:

Bibi out.

Replaced by an unstable coalition in a volatile region with more than its fair share of heavily-armed extremists. One wishes the people well but struggles to be optimistic.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Genius goal by Austria

Er. he seems quite angry?

He's a knobhead.
    What's the backstory? Hates fans? Hates Macedonia? Hates a quiet celebration?
    He just seems to fall out with everyone. Jose Mourinho was his coach at Inter Milan and according to Wikipedia said that he "is a fantastic person but has the attitude of a child"

That was 11 years ago and I’m not sure much has changed.
    Marko Arnautović?

They were discussing this on the commentary when he came on. A bit of a character.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Paging @Leon...

Lol - her quote suggests she's barely read the Old testament.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Bibi out.

Replaced by an unstable coalition in a volatile region with more than its fair share of heavily-armed extremists. One wishes the people well but struggles to be optimistic.
    Well quite. If the reports that were on TV a few days ago are accurate, the new ruling coalition consists of centrists, the far right and Islamists - and appears, if the numbers downthread are right, to have a parliamentary majority of one.

If Netanyahu can retain the leadership of his own party then we may not necessarily have seen the back of him for very long.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Noise?

Parts of Leicester too.

It seems to take some time about it!
    Good luck, hopefully we are nearly there now.

My parents are nearby, in Rutland (town famous for the school), and apart from a prison outbreak they’ve had one of the lowest rates in the country. Amazing how two places so close geographically can have such different experiences.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Noise?
    I don’t think so.
    PCR positivity is always worth watching

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Fifteen minutes to GB News. What will be their lead story?

a) Football
    b) Israel
    c) Lockdown
    d) G7

Note that (c) and (d) could have been written on Friday so barely qualify as news.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,259

tlg86 said:

Bibi out.

Well quite. If the reports that were on TV a few days ago are accurate, the new ruling coalition consists of centrists, the far right and Islamists - and appears, if the numbers downthread are right, to have a parliamentary majority of one.

If Netanyahu can retain the leadership of his own party then we may not necessarily have seen the back of him for very long.
    I don’t agree. I think this is a caretaker government to ensure he doesn’t control the levers of power while he is on trial.

When, ooops, if, he is found guilty and safely locked away, more negotiations can be found on a way forward, perhaps via yet another round of elections.

The key thing is, despite his best efforts to cause war and chaos to hang on, the bastard is gone. At last.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

In theory yes. In reality I don't think a delay has any real impact on behaviour other than ruining your life if you own a pub/nightclub, or want to get married. The government is operating in a fantasy world where it can dial cases up and down from whitehall, but in reality people are now living their lives so the only impact of delaying the final stage will be financial and marital misery for some. Not a good thing, but if there's going to be an exit wave, it's happening now either way.
    And punishing those venues that are open but playing strictly by the rules
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    nico679 said:

Good riddance to Netenyahu . Another from the axis of evil to be shown the door . How fitting that Trump and his arselicker have gone in the space of a year .

Also struck today by how I could watch the G7 coverage without that awful feeling I used to get when Donald Trump was dominating and corrupting and trivializing everything with his persona and his antics. His exit due to WH2020 and consequent absence from the scene has really improved my quality of life. I can't say that about too many elections, especially foreign ones. Thanks, Joe. Thanks so much. Forever a fan. Forever in your debt.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Paging @Leon...

Particularly not the likes of 1 Samuel 15 or Genesis Chapter 6.
  • Options
    VompVomp Posts: 36

Vomp said:

Vomp said:

Vomp said:

Sorry for being off-topic but hopefully no-one will mind. What ancient building is this, shown in Dominic Cummings's main profile photo on his new Substack account? I thought at first that might be Petra but it's probably somewhere else.

image.

Aegina?
    I think it might be Siwa.
    Great work. Many thanks, @Black_Rook. It's the Temple of Amun, also known as the Temple of the Oracle, at Siwa.
    Cummings has even started a company called Siwah Limited. As Giles Turner writes at Bloomberg.com, "It is unclear what Cummings’s new project will entail. Wāḥat Sīwah is the site of a legendary oracle that proclaimed Alexander the Great as the Pharaoh of Egypt."

Love it. Watch this space.

The Oracle allegedly declared Alexander to be the son of the god Zeus-Ammon, and therefore divine. Does Cummings now aspire to similar status?
    He's certainly got a saviour complex. The question is what direction it's going in. His "trillion dollar bills lying on the street" have turned into "multi-trillion" ones now. He'll be lucky if he soft-lands into becoming just another internet bro blogging and tweeting about rationalism, superforecasting, effective altruism, spaced repetition, the need for brilliance in central government, etc. Instead he is calling for "regime change" so that "the most able people", who provide "many orders of magnitude" of value more than "average leaders", can be put into "the highest leverage positions". Amon-Alexander-theDom!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,225
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Bibi out.

60 votes to 59.
    So the far right rejectionist instead of the crook... Not sure thats a real improvement.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Good riddance to Netenyahu . Another from the axis of evil to be shown the door . How fitting that Trump and his arselicker have gone in the space of a year .

Also struck today by how I could watch the G7 coverage without that awful feeling I used to get when Donald Trump was dominating and corrupting and trivializing everything with his persona and his antics. His exit due to WH2020 and consequent absence from the scene has really improved my quality of life. I can't say that about too many elections, especially foreign ones. Thanks, Joe. Thanks so much. Forever a fan. Forever in your debt.
    What he is, and what he will always be as your next President, is Not Donald Trump. And that is what makes Joe Biden acceptable, under the circumstances.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Paging @Leon...

Particularly not the likes of 1 Samuel 15 or Genesis Chapter 6.
    The whole Red Sea Pedestrianisation saga would seem to have been missed. First born? Locusts? Deep soaking the entire Egyptian Army?

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Congratulations England. And Bravo Gareth Southgate, really sticking it too the lefty traitors, England-haters and boo-mongers

This brilliantly talented team - humble enough to KNEEL for social justice - will, I predict, unite the nation, and it will nobly march on to triumph
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Bibi out.

60 votes to 59.
    So the neo fascist instead of the crook... Not sure thats a real improvement.
    He has agreed, as part of bringing Raam on board, to freeze settlement activity and halt moves towards annexation.

It’s also worth pointing out that Netanyahu is by any reasonable definition a fascist, so you proposed a false dichotomy. It’s not Chirac vs. Le Pen.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    BBC News - Swiss voters reject key climate change measures
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57457384
  • Options
    GB News live stream - with no silly geoblocking restrictions!

https://www.gbnews.uk/
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021

tlg86 said:

Bibi out.

Didn’t he have immunity from prison as PM? And is now almost certainly going to end up in prison. And the Israeli courts work a bit quicker than the American ones.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

I misread a post here the other day - it was actually about cricket - but it got my head in 'all the England results from the 1960s onwards'.

So here are, England football decades ranked by ...

Most games won
    2010s - 71
    2000s - 70
    1960s - 61
    1980s - 59
    1970s - 56
    1990s - 54

Highest win %
    1960s - 61%
    2010s - 59.2%
    2000s - 58.3%
    1970s - 56%
    1980s - 51.3%
    1990s - 50 %

Lowest loss %
    1990s - 15.7%
    2010s - 15.8%
    1960s - 16%
    1970s -17%
    2000s - 19.2%
    1980s - 20.7%

PPG assuming 3 pts a win
    2010s - 2.03
    1960s - 1.99
    2000s - 1.98
    1970s - 1.95
    1990s - 1.84
    1980s - 1.82

Vague conclusions
    There ain't that much difference between the decades (0.2 ppg is 1 potentially lost game drawn every 5).

I have fond memories of the 1990s. This may actually be fond memories of 1990 and 1996 and following.

The 2010s were surprisingly solid.

The difference between a good England side and a (supposedly) bad one comes in the crunch games.

The time England could claim to be best in world was 57 before Munich.
  • Options
    GB News starting on FreeView channel 236, although when I just selected that channel nothing happened. Maybe you have to "re-scan" the channels or something.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

GB News starting on FreeView channel 236, although when I just selected that channel nothing happened. Maybe you have to "re-scan" the channels or something.

515 on Sky in 30 seconds
  • Options
    Are GB News not live streaming on YouTube? That would seem a big oversight.
  • Options
    Oh dear, the pictures and sound are out of sync...
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Is it not in HD?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

515 on Sky in 30 seconds
    I only have Freeview.
  • Options

I thought they would be, but it seems not.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

A string of cliches that Andrew Neil could have recorded (and synchronised) months ago. If he doesn't get on with it, I'm switching to Antiques Roadshow.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

What he is, and what he will always be as your next President, is Not Donald Trump. And that is what makes Joe Biden acceptable, under the circumstances.
    Pew research polling on confidence in Biden, compared to the one who was Trump…

Trump, 2020:
    Germany 10%
    France 11%
    Italy 16%
    Sweden 15%
    Canada 20%
    United Kingdom 19%
    South Korea 17%
    Japan 25%

Biden, 2021:
    Germany 78%
    France 74%
    Italy 75%
    Sweden 85%
    Canada 77%
    United Kingdom 72%
    South Korea 67%
    Japan 73%
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Not on YouTube, only on their own website https://www.gbnews.uk/

Stream is stuttering a bit though, they’d have been better off with youtube.
  • Options
    The picture quality on gb news is bloody awful. Out of synch - looks like he’s being held hostage
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Got GB News now on Freeview channel 236. Never occurred to me that I would have to re-scan first. Would have been nice to know that in advance.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

I thought they would be, but it seems not.
    My understanding is Talk Radio get a decent chunk of it traffic via YouTube streaming and clips. Hence when they got the ban hammer, Rupert was on the blower to the big whigs at Google.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    What GB News reminds me of.

• Options
    For those who are interested, here is a profile of the new Israeli PM:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/MAGAZINE-naftali-bennett-israeli-pm-benjamin-netanyahu-ousted-yair-lapid-1.9864203

Comes across as a bit of a Boris Johnson style chameleon, but much wealthier.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Re topic, I have said this before with RIshi that the shortness factor is going to be a major factor. There is no way out of it.
  • Options

Seems a bit soon to have a Vendetta against them.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

The picture quality on gb news is bloody awful. Out of synch - looks like he’s being held hostage

The sound synchronisation is terrible

Not a good start but time will tell

Synchronisation resolved now
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Andrew Neil is a bit good at this
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    ydoethur said:

We'll soon see whether GB News prevails.
  • Options
    Glorious day

Picnic with old friends in Green Park. Plentiful Greek white wine

Stroll home through happy singing English people wandering around Mayfair, which seems to have turned into a kind of millionaire Glastonbury: open air festivities everywhere

A crisp G&T then another walk up Primrose Hill. The yobs have gone and a cool multicultural crowd smokes excellent weed and dances to acousto-folk in floaty dresses (both sexes) (really, this seems to be a trend, I approve)

Now I am home with London's best Malaysian food on order, including Assam salmon curry and Sawi Goreng

Possibly the best day since the sylvan idylls of Lockdown 1
  • Options

Valid criticisms.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

It would help if they actually did some news...
  • Options
    Sound not working on GB News. Not a great start.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Leon said:

Congratulations England. And Bravo Gareth Southgate, really sticking it too the lefty traitors, England-haters and boo-mongers

This brilliantly talented team - humble enough to KNEEL for social justice - will, I predict, unite the nation, and it will nobly march on to triumph

That’s better. Now see how long you can keep it up.
  • Options
    Brom said:

If he fulfills his promises Sky and BBC will have real competition
  • Options
    Oh dear, I can’t hear this bloke at all
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

We probably won’t know for a few months in fairness
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Andrew Neil made it clear that won't be GB News...its not a rolling news channel. It is channel of news / current affairs shows, think the likes of Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

A string of cliches that Andrew Neil could have recorded (and synchronised) months ago. If he doesn't get on with it, I'm switching to Antiques Roadshow.
    Ten minutes in and I've given up.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I want to turn it off but my dad won't let me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Still bitter after your beloved Croatia LOST?

You are a class poster but you really were a bit of dick about that, weren’t you?
  • Options

Brom said:

Hopefully GB News will be an alternative to the constant doom-mongering of both Sky News and BBC News channel.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

Hopefully GB News will be an alternative to the constant doom-mongering of both Sky News and BBC News channel.
    We have to hope so
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    MrEd said:

Re topic, I have said this before with RIshi that the shortness factor is going to be a major factor. There is no way out of it.

Not entirely true…
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-55146906
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

Andrew Neil in a recent interview said rolling news is failed concept and GB News isn't looking to compete with them. If you want to know about breaking news, GB News isn't the place to go.
  • Options
    Posted without comment

AntifaBook.com
    @JackPosobiec
    Trudeau overheard telling staffers he expects Kamala Harris to be President by the end of 2022 per WH official attending G7
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Aargh. Even Antiques Roadshow is a repeat!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited June 2021

GB News has a name and logo that looks like every early 2000's sci fi alien invasion and/or disaster movie breaking news mockup before they realised they could get the BBC logo and font (or CNN) if they paid enough.
  • Options
    For a station that thinks we should reject identity politics, they seem to want to talk about identity politics quite a lot.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Well, according to TSE they’re trying to be Suttler about it.
  • Options
    Managed about 60 seconds of GB News.

Dull.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,463

Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

Andrew Neil in a recent interview said rolling news is failed concept and GB News isn't looking to compete with them. If you want to know about breaking news, GB News isn't the place to go.
    More importantly, covering breaking news is expensive. Much cheaper to have talking heads in a studio as your backbone.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, over on ITV, the Ukrainians are holding their own against the Dutch.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Got GB News now on Freeview channel 236. Never occurred to me that I would have to re-scan first. Would have been nice to know that in advance.

You always have to rescan freeview everytime they muck about with channels, either renumbering or adding channels. Some devices warn you that a rescan is needed.
This discussion has been closed.