Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi Sunak looks like a homunculus. This may stymie his leadership ambitions – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Andy_JS said:

What we are actually seeing now with the internet, there are no gatekeepers, so experts can talk without the established media e.g. this morning I watched a 20 min video from a leading cardiologist about Eriksen and heart attacks among elite athletes. He would never get 20 mins on BBC or Sky.

Old Covid Campbell is a must watch compared to the idiots getting it wrong on BBC / Sky everyday.

And people watch this stuff and even pay for expert opinion e.g the Athletic is far superior to BBC Sport and now has millions of subscribers. If you watch Tifo football, listen to statsbomb or read the athletic, then try and listen to the talking heads on BBC and ITV analysing the football, you can feel the IQ point dropping.

I think the old-fashioned gatekeepers here in the UK mostly did a good job. I'm sorry that era is over. You could watch just about any news show in Britain in about 1990 and be fairly confident you were getting a relatively balanced view of what was going on in the world. Channel 4 News was slightly more left-wing than the others but it wasn't too pronounced.
    I think it started to go wrong when Andrew Marr was the BBC’s political editor. He was constantly trying to write the first draft of history instead of reporting the news.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If the weddings restrictions get lifted I think the public will wear the four-week delay.

The danger is now that things drag on and on.

We had to keep the other restrictions because otherwise we couldn’t save weddings… you wouldn’t want to ruin their special day…
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

GB News aims to solve a problem we do not have with an offering 10 years past its sell by date.

Why are the left so scared of GBNews

It is the same mindset that saw the red wall fall

I have no idea how it will work out but it may just succeed, who knows
    Well we're scared of the Fox News-ification of the UK political narrative because it's toxic. It remains to be seen if GB News will play that role.

I won't be watching it but I don't watch any live TV whatsoever, other than sport, so I don't really care otherwise.
    God forbid viewers might have a choice that dissents from the left wing view point eh
    Curious that the right feel underrepresented in the media despite their lot running most of it. Boris , Gove et all hardly suffered from lack of exposure on the BBC for example. Feels like some kind of weird insecurity to need yet another echo chamber.
    I just don't get that. The BBC is the one dominant media organisation in the UK, and it takes it lead from the Guardian. It would be very rare that any of its presenters would be outed as right wing, indeed most eventually reveal their views to be left of centre. They do try to be balanced, but sometimes you can balance coverage in a strange easy, or choose not to cover things in a certain way. For this reason for many of the influential people in this country the rise of Brexit, UKIP, red wall conservatism is a complete surprise. Many of these journalists will be in the same echo chambers as the Labour party and cannot grasp how the world outside twitter functions. In the print press most newspapers are right wing, but I don't have a problem with that - I'm not forced to buy them. If I disagree with what they print I can buy my news elsewhere - they are not brainwashing their readers, but carefully reflecting their views back at them. What is truly sad is that I would pay for a centrist newspaper but I just go to the BBC and get it all for free.
    Is it really "very rare that any [BBC] presenters would be outed as right wing"?

Nick Robinson, Jeremy Paxman, Allegra Stratton? And whatever happened to Andrew Neil?
    If the BBC hadn't messed Neil around over politics shows then GB News would never have happened.
    The BBC are good at that. They did it as well over Clarkson* and Top Gear leading to Amazon's Grand Tour.

(*Although Clarkson's language and behaviour was poor the show was poorly organised and the issue badly handled afterwards)
    Clarkson now buying tractors for a living whilst Top Gear is still as popular as ever.
    No its not, even with the new presenters they only do 5 million or so. Shadow of what Top Gear at its peak got.
    Is The Grand Tour still going?

I saw the first couple, but it was a very tired formula.
    They did 3 seasons and then changed the format to specials and now they all have spin of shows. I thought it was poor, but apparently it still gets massive viewership, hence why Clarkson does Farming got commissioned and the others have similar shows e.g. James May in Japan, Richard Hammond on a deserted island.
    James May was doing spin of shows long before the BBC canned Clarkson. Indeed he is by far the best of the trio and his shows are always worth watching as they bring niche hobbies to the public eye without being patronising.
    Jeremy Clarkson's military histories were very good: one on VCs; another on the Arctic convoys; and I think there was a third that I can't quite bring to mind.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Literally nobody is calling for GB News to be “cancelled” or “shut down” and yet the snowflakes are still absolutely frothing about it. Fascinating.
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90

Pulpstar said:

What's going to have changed regarding nightclubs in a month ?

18 - 22s will still be unvaxxed.

On the double jabbed front we'll have over 40s mainly done instead of over 50s ?
    Don't see that that much changes in a month. Everyone at serious risk is already done. Everyone at a bit of risk ? Far from it that doesn't change.

England only data, 10th June release.

My guess is that the area of interest is the 40-60 band - there is still a fair bit to do there.

Age Band First Second
    Under 30 21.64% 11.96%
    30-34 47.06% 16.91%
    35-39 60.23% 20.20%
    40-44 71.50% 26.61%
    45-49 78.66% 36.04%
    50-54 84.73% 62.87%
    55-59 87.60% 69.82%

60-64 89.80% 81.57%
    65-69 91.93% 88.28%
    70-74 94.25% 92.21%
    75-79 95.26% 93.38%
    80 plus 95.00% 92.26%
    Those under 60 arent very vulnerable anyway
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Hard to imagine a better advert for the BBC than half an hour of #GBNews
    https://twitter.com/TimAdamsWrites/status/1404179823992446978

Never been a better moment to thank @OpsBbc for being fantastic for what they achieve putting our News on air 24/7. #Proud
    https://twitter.com/morwenw/status/1404171323493040134

These criticisms might have more punch if people had not been attacking GB news for months before it had aired. As it is, that build up attack might mean more people give it benefit of the doubt before deciding it is Foc News UK.
    Yes these critiques are far too hasty and nervy. They come across as journalists worried that it might work, rather than actual analysis

So to that extent, GBNews has done its first day job. It has caused a stir
    Only amongst we geeks. Most of the country will never watch any news channel. GB News will be preaching to the converted.

How is it being funded by the way - does anyone know?
    Funded and owned by foreign citizens of nowhere.

A reminder, ahead of its launch later... #GBNews is many things, but it certainly isn’t British 👇🏻

https://t.co/Ta6xOSkqjG
    Byline....crickey now there is a dodgy organisation. More fake news and conspiracy theories than a day of Leon posts

I hope you don't get much of your info from them.
    No, but are they accurate in the ownership of GB News?
    You know it’s public information?

I had a quick look and recognised Chris Chandler, Paul Marshall and John Malone among the directors. (Legatum, Marshall Wace and Liberty)
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90

The Times also has the weddings exemption, but again no more details on the front page.

I think they will go with the Wedding exemption, maybe only up to 100, to send the message 'we are getting out of this', but otherwise it's 1 September before any further material relaxation.
    To coincide with the children going back to school? What a bonkers idea.
    Sounds like sacrifice summer to save autumn
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

Regarding GB news, it really is laughable that people are outraged by this channel. I don't understand what people are worried about, it will hardly have any effect on politics, it is for a tiny subset of people anyway who watch this type of rolling news. Russia Today (RT) have been basically broadcasting Russian state propoganda and few people got bothered about that - probably because it appears to be friendly to left wing causes.

People should try and debate rather than shut down things they don't like, its one of the most ridiculous things about the woke. Having free debate and an open society is one of the positive things about the west, ironically it is one of the reasons why people want to come and live in this country, escaping from totalitarian regimes. But the woke basically want a dictatorship where only one set of views are on the internet and TV backed with any deviation punished through by anti hate laws. It is pathetic.

You can't have watched much RT. It is quite Right wing populist in its agenda, anti-gay rights, anti Europe, anti-Biden etc.

Some of the documentary bits are quite interesting though.
    I've watched it occasionally, i agree about the documentaries.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

On the double jabbed front we'll have over 40s mainly done instead of over 50s ?
    Don't see that that much changes in a month. Everyone at serious risk is already done. Everyone at a bit of risk ? Far from it that doesn't change.

My guess is that the area of interest is the 40-60 band - there is still a fair bit to do there.

Age Band First Second
    Under 30 21.64% 11.96%
    30-34 47.06% 16.91%
    35-39 60.23% 20.20%
    40-44 71.50% 26.61%
    45-49 78.66% 36.04%
    50-54 84.73% 62.87%
    55-59 87.60% 69.82%

60-64 89.80% 81.57%
    65-69 91.93% 88.28%
    70-74 94.25% 92.21%
    75-79 95.26% 93.38%
    80 plus 95.00% 92.26%
    Yes. Not all willing over 50's have been done. Not by some way. Unlike the repeated assertions on here.
    We also have 8% of 60-64 And 2% of over 70's waiting for their second dose.
    Why?

Why is there such a huge disparity?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021

Literally nobody is calling for GB News to be “cancelled” or “shut down” and yet the snowflakes are still absolutely frothing about it. Fascinating.

StopFundingHate is running an active campaign to have pile on against any brands who advertise on there. They.are listing each brand that advertises and actively encouraging people to lobby them.

Is there any evidence that GB News is spreading hate?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Dan Wooton has incredible teeth...
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Never been a better moment to thank @OpsBbc for being fantastic for what they achieve putting our News on air 24/7. #Proud

These criticisms might have more punch if people had not been attacking GB news for months before it had aired. As it is, that build up attack might mean more people give it benefit of the doubt before deciding it is Foc News UK.
    Yes these critiques are far too hasty and nervy. They come across as journalists worried that it might work, rather than actual analysis

Only amongst we geeks. Most of the country will never watch any news channel. GB News will be preaching to the converted.

A reminder, ahead of its launch later... #GBNews is many things, but it certainly isn’t British 👇🏻

Byline....crickey now there is a dodgy organisation. More fake news and conspiracy theories than a day of Leon posts

I had a quick look and recognised Chris Chandler, Paul Marshall and John Malone among the directors. (Legatum, Marshall Wace and Liberty)
    Your not suggesting ByLine Media is spreading fake news are you?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

StopFundingHate is running an active campaign to have pile on against any brands who advertise on there. They.are listing each brand that advertises and actively encouraging people to lobby them.
    Like I said: literally nobody.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

The Times also has the weddings exemption, but again no more details on the front page.

I think they will go with the Wedding exemption, maybe only up to 100, to send the message 'we are getting out of this', but otherwise it's 1 September before any further material relaxation.
    To coincide with the children going back to school? What a bonkers idea.
    Sounds like sacrifice summer to save autumn
    It's not summer which is being sacrificed but people's jobs and businesses and futures.

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

It’s trending on Twitter and some people seem to be really angry about it and don’t like the politics but why are they getting into a foaming rage about something hidden away on a fairly obscure channel when they can do something else on a Sunday night?

I watched 5 minutes and then stuck on a film. I guess some folk just love a bit of professional outrage.
  • Options

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I didn’t read the article but I saw several of the usual suspects on each other breathlessly asking if we knew who funded GBNews. I guess they were trying to imply it was secret or something
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

Pulpstar said:

Age Band First Second
    Under 30 21.64% 11.96%
    30-34 47.06% 16.91%
    35-39 60.23% 20.20%
    40-44 71.50% 26.61%
    45-49 78.66% 36.04%
    50-54 84.73% 62.87%
    55-59 87.60% 69.82%

60-64 89.80% 81.57%
    65-69 91.93% 88.28%
    70-74 94.25% 92.21%
    75-79 95.26% 93.38%
    80 plus 95.00% 92.26%
    Those under 60 arent very vulnerable anyway
    To hospitalisation - yes, they are.

The disparity between the ages where death is much more likely - over 60 - and the ages were hospitalisation is a risk - over 40 - have been know about for a long time in this epidemic.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I didn’t read the article but I saw several of the usual suspects on each other breathlessly asking if we knew who funded GBNews. I guess they were trying to imply it was secret or something
    The thrust was none are British / British based / tax dodgers...

Byline is a famous untrustworthy source....everything is some crazy conspiracy.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

I used to think stop funding hate was a good idea, at the time of the daily mails worst excesses in the aftermath of Brexit.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

If the weddings restrictions get lifted I think the public will wear the four-week delay.

The danger is now that things drag on and on.

We had to keep the other restrictions because otherwise we couldn’t save weddings… you wouldn’t want to ruin their special day…
    That will probably be the line.

Whitty often presents this idea of a Covid ‘budget’.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    "Swiss voters reject key climate change measures"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57457384
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    darkage said:

I used to think stop funding hate was a good idea, at the time of the daily mails worst excesses in the aftermath of Brexit.
    Unfortunately their concept of ‘hate’ is any viewpoint to the right of the Guardian. It’s not like they were chasing after the BNP but rather media sources enjoyed by the centre ground and centre right. Really weird to hound advertisers who just want to reach the wider public.
  • Options
    Brom said:

darkage said:

Unfortunately their concept of ‘hate’ is any viewpoint to the right of the Guardian. It’s not like they were chasing after the BNP but rather media sources enjoyed by the centre ground and centre right. Really weird to hound advertisers who just want to reach the wider public.
    Not weird at all. Unfortunately it’s very effective.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

An indepth thread on what's called "pivot to elimination" strategy. Zero covid in other words.

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1403990026065793024

Fortunately the link won't work properly so I can't have my blood pressure raised by reading her nonsense.

As I said the other day, if the Zero Covidiots are really determined to have their way then we should fly the lot of them to South Georgia, and let them build their disease free utopia there.
    Why inflict them on beautiful South Georgia, better to put them in a box in cold storage
    It's very remote and very empty. Though if you insist I suppose we could ship them off to one of the South Sandwich Islands instead?
    Would we need to butter them up first?
    It is no doubt unworthy of me. But I'd drop all the ZeroCovid idiots into the middle of the South Atlantic.

Why waste any island on them.
    Now, now. Be British. Be Traditional.

St Helena is available......
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Age Band First Second
    Under 30 21.64% 11.96%
    30-34 47.06% 16.91%
    35-39 60.23% 20.20%
    40-44 71.50% 26.61%
    45-49 78.66% 36.04%
    50-54 84.73% 62.87%
    55-59 87.60% 69.82%

60-64 89.80% 81.57%
    65-69 91.93% 88.28%
    70-74 94.25% 92.21%
    75-79 95.26% 93.38%
    80 plus 95.00% 92.26%
    Yes. Not all willing over 50's have been done. Not by some way. Unlike the repeated assertions on here.
    We also have 8% of 60-64 And 2% of over 70's waiting for their second dose.
    Why?

Why is there such a huge disparity?
    I do not know. I am not an expert.
    All I did was, at the age of 54, book the first possible date at the first possible opportunity locally. Which was last Tuesday for my second jab. And I was available any day any time, unlike most. At which there were plenty of folk much older than me. And some in very poor health.
    Yet I have been being told for wèeks on here, by some posters, that all priority groups have been done, and labelling those that haven't anti-vaxxers.
    My idea is this. London has a higher proportion of young people and refusers. So they've moved down the groups much quicker. And certain other areas with high prevalence, such as Bolton, etc , have too.
    And folk have a natural tendency to assume their own experience is typical.
  • Options
    A final decision on whether to lift Covid restrictions in England on 21 June has not yet been taken, Boris Johnson has said ahead of an announcement on Monday.

Well he better hurry up....
  • Options
    edited June 2021

A final decision on whether to lift Covid restrictions in England on 21 June has not yet been taken, Boris Johnson has said ahead of an announcement on Monday.

I'm not surprised he can't make a final decision. He doesn't want to extend the lockdown, but everyone around him is telling him to do it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm not surprised he can't make a final decision.
    My guess is that he desperately wants to go for it, but is under a lot of pressure to hold off. Be fascinating to be a fly on the wall.
  • Options

Maybe he's writing two speeches as we speak?
    By contrast to received opinion on here, if he says sod it go ahead open up, this will cost him in the polls.
    Delay and he only goes up.
  • Options
    Canada has overtaken Israel in terms of first jabs according to this page.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
  • Options

Surely in reality it’s a done deal that it’s not happening. Presumably there will be debate ongoing about sweeteners - weddings are the really big one.
  • Options

Surely in reality it’s a done deal that it’s not happening. Presumably there will be debate ongoing about sweeteners - weddings are the really big one.
    Yes of course.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

By contrast to received opinion on here, if he says sod it go ahead open up, this will cost him in the polls.
    Not sure anyone on here is claiming otherwise.
    Lockdown is popular, we know that.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm not surprised he can't make a final decision. He doesn't want to extend the lockdown, but everyone around him is telling him to do it.
    There are one or two voices around him against extending it, but broadly I think your analysis is probably right.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    Speaking of championship global sporting events, am getting ready to watch on TV delayed broadcast of the 2021 Westminster Dog Show. Which this year was (or maybe still is ongoing) held outdoors due to COVID.

Which based on the mutts I know, should be just dandy from the canine competitor's point of view!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    different voices will not be tolerated

https://twitter.com/ukiswitheu/status/1404114770282811396

https://twitter.com/paulwhateley/status/1403842531692060675

Remember to boycott all advertisers on GBNews. Every single one. No exceptions
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Floater said:

different voices will not be tolerated

https://twitter.com/ukiswitheu/status/1404114770282811396

https://twitter.com/paulwhateley/status/1403842531692060675

Remember to boycott all advertisers on GBNews. Every single one. No exceptions

The second rather laughably had "build bridges not walls" in his twitter bio...clearly that is conditional on agreeing with him.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I've seen it. Mostly immediate post-leaking hysteria. It appears to have died off with the release of polling, I will admit.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I've seen it. Mostly immediate post-leaking hysteria. It appears to have died off with the release of polling, I will admit.
    I still believe they will take a hit, even if WFHers are happy to remain at home for another month. Even Starmer must be able to stick the blame on Boris for this.
  • Options
    Re: the differentials in the age-distribution pattern for UK vax coverage, my un-educated surmise is that it follows from the vaccination roll-out mostly by age cohort, from older to younger. PLUS curve ball thrown when AZN was discontinued for people under 50 (think that's the cutoff). Also the younger you go, the more people who will have work conflicts & familial responsibilities limited to whatever extent their scheduling & mobility.

Biggest gap on chart is for 2nd jabs between 63% for age 50-54 versus 36% for ages 45-49

This would appear on its face due to the AZN restriction to age 50 plus?

• Options
    "The whole channel is founded on a false prospectus – GB News was a disaster from start to finish

Andrew Neil – who really should still be on the BBC – criticised the other broadcasters for being ‘echo chambers’. They’re not, as it happens, but GB News certainly is

Sean O'Grady"

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/gb-news-review-andrew-neil-b1865175.html
  • Options

Re: the differentials in the age-distribution pattern for UK vax coverage, my un-educated surmise is that it follows from the vaccination roll-out mostly by age cohort, from older to younger. PLUS curve ball thrown when AZN was discontinued for people under 50 (think that's the cutoff). Also the younger you go, the more people who will have work conflicts & familial responsibilities limited to whatever extent their scheduling & mobility.

Biggest gap on chart is for 2nd jabs between 63% for age 50-54 versus 36% for ages 45-49

This would appear on its face due to the AZN restriction to age 50 plus?

Err... under 49 are recent enough, that all the second doses haven't come up, yet!

AZN is being offered down to 40, I believe.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"The whole channel is founded on a false prospectus – GB News was a disaster from start to finish

Andrew Neil – who really should still be on the BBC – criticised the other broadcasters for being ‘echo chambers’. They’re not, as it happens, but GB News certainly is

Sean O'Grady"

I got the message, though: the constant, repetitive “line” that the BBC, Sky News and ITV are ignoring views that they don’t like, the sort of things people outside the metropolitan elite disdain, and it’s time to let those opinions have the “space” they need, because people have been silenced for too long.

It’s a lie. The whole channel is founded on a false prospectus, that it is there to act as some sort of antidote and balance to the other broadcasters who are citadels of groupthink, “client journalism” and contemptuous of those who don’t conform to their liberal, progressive values.

Still don't get it do they....Brexit and Boris, they were absolute examples of group think. He clearly hasn't watched John Harris who gives an all too brief glimpse into those that don't get a voice.

If GB News does is a different matter.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I still believe they will take a hit, even if WFHers are happy to remain at home for another month. Even Starmer must be able to stick the blame on Boris for this.
    I wouldn't count on it. On the face of it, it is an open goal. But Starmer may choose to pass it all the way back to the goalie.
    There is tremendous focus group resistance to blaming the PM for anything at all...
    He's had a terrible situation to deal with. No one could have done any better. He's had the virus so he knows best. And, he's doing his best.
    This last one I don't get. We could have elected a 3 year old named Olivia as PM, and doubtless she'd try to do her best (has any PM ever gone to work and thought, you know what? I'm going to deliberately screw up the country today?).
    Doesn't follow that Olivia is the best possible PM. Or should be immune from criticism. However, Borisophiles seem to think that way.
  • Options
    Clearly THE top news story of the week, was the guy who said he got swallowed by a whale, but survived because the whale spit him out - sorta like your (and yours truly) would spit out rather than swallow a fly that by mischance ended up in our gaping maws.

However, seems that some have cast doubt upon this modern day tale of Jonah and the Whale.

What is the opinion of the board on this burning question? AND just how woke was the whale?
  • Options
    "GB News review – Andrew Neil’s alternative BBC? Utterly deadly stuff

The ‘anti-woke’ news channel had Andrew Neil and Alan Sugar, but no Piers Morgan – and the opening night felt like the furthest thing from appointment TV imaginable. I give it a year

Stuart Jeffries"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/13/gb-news-review-andrew-neils-alternative-bbc-utterly-deadly-stuff
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I wouldn't count on it. On the face of it, it is an open goal. But Starmer may choose to pass it all the way back to the goalie.
    There is tremendous focus group resistance to blaming the PM for anything at all...
    He's had a terrible situation to deal with. No one could have done any better. He's had the virus so he knows best. And, he's doing his best.
    This last one I don't get. We could have elected a 3 year old named Olivia as PM, and doubtless she'd try to do her best (has any PM gone to work and thought, you know what? I'm going to screw up the country today?).
    Doesn't follow that Olivia is the best possible PM. Or should be immune from criticism. However, Borisophiles seem to think that way.
    You might be right...but this specific case, it is absolutely undeniable Airbridge v2.0 made this far worse.

I can see how people can do some giving Boris benefit of the doubt on Lockdown #1, and Lockdown #2 was sold due to Kent variant (which again could have been handled much better), but which again not much you could do about the core issue.

But this, this is 100% on the decision to keep the border open....and even Labour were ahead of the game on this one.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

The ‘anti-woke’ news channel had Andrew Neil and Alan Sugar, but no Piers Morgan – and the opening night felt like the furthest thing from appointment TV imaginable. I give it a year

Stuart Jeffries"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/13/gb-news-review-andrew-neils-alternative-bbc-utterly-deadly-stuff

I am starting to think maybe GB News are onto a winner if they think its rubbish....they think Clarkson on Amazon is rubbish too and he does big numbers....and that Steve McQueen tv shows are the absolute dogs bollocks and nobody watches them. They are like Rogeradumus.

They also dislike Sir Aluuuun....isn't he super popular? Doesn't the Apprentice do really well?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Has there been any polling on support for lockdown by party affiliation/current VI?

I'd hazard a guess that Tory voters are most likely to want all restrictions lifting ASAP. Depending on the split, its quite possible that whilst extending lockdown enjoys (just about) majority support, it actually loses Boris votes, as most of those it pleases wouldn't vote for him if he was the last man on earth.

On a personal level, I'm a Tory voter in a marginal seat. I'm not sure how I'll vote at the next election, but if it happened tomorrow I'd vote for the most anti-lockdown party available. There is a reasonable chance I'll still be so angry when then next election actually occurs as to vote against the government - particularly if they persist in acting as if they were a coalition between Corbyn's Labour and the Greens.
  • Options
    Re: the launch of GB, as an old-fashioned Hubert Humphrey liberal (but with long hair and tie-die socks) think it's a bit premature to condemn this new venture BEFORE they've actually done anything TO condemn.

Strongly suspect THAT will happen sooner rather than later. Wait for it!

Back in the day, used to enjoy the radio commentaries of Paul Harvey, who was VERY conservative but never came across as mean or unfair (even if he was) and was almost always interesting and worth listening to - so I did from time to time, despite being a pointy-headed liberal who often disagreed with his premises and conclusions.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Re: the launch of GB, as an old-fashioned Hubert Humphrey liberal (but with long hair and tie-die socks) think it's a bit premature to condemn this new venture BEFORE they've actually done anything TO condemn.

Back in the day, used to enjoy the radio commentaries of Paul Harvey, who was VERY conservative but never came across as mean or unfair (even if he was) and was almost always interesting and worth listening to - so I did from time to time, despite being a pointy-headed liberal who often disagreed with his premises and conclusions.

From what I can see, the people they have hired on the whole aren't very good or aren't distinct from BBC / Sky because they have been hired from there. In comparison, Unherd is worth watching because Freddie Sayers is really good (again not traditional media background), he really knows his onions.

The Athletic is great for sport, because they have hired some of the top talent from the mainstream and then gone out and found really top people who weren't in that world, especially the stat nerd type people e.g Tifo football crew.
  • Options

From what I can see, the people they have hired on the whole aren't very good or aren't distinct from BBC / Sky because they have been hired from there.
    From PB commentary sure sounds like GB's gotten off to rocky start, technique- & technically-speaking. But that's not exactly novel in the world of media & broadcasting. So they've got time to iron out the bugs and show the people (and critics) something - PROVIDED their investors have the money. Which I'm guessing they do, for a year or more anyway?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

From what I can see, the people they have hired on the whole aren't very good or aren't distinct from BBC / Sky because they have been hired from there.
    From PB commentary sure sounds like GB's gotten off to rocky start, technique- & technically-speaking. But that's not exactly novel in the world of media & broadcasting. So they've got time to iron out the bugs and show the people (and critics) something - PROVIDED their investors have the money. Which I'm guessing they do, for a year or more anyway?
    I don't place anything in ohhhh the sounds off, oh the lighting isn't quite right. I mean even on established channels it goes wrong.

I think a valid criticism from the Guardian piece is they haven't managed to hire say a Piers Morgan or Nick Ferrari. Ferrari would have been a good hire for GB News, as he is a tough interviewer without going over the top like Morgan.

They needed something like that, and then some people who really know their stuff. Sky News back in the day actually had that with for example Tim Marshall, a real expert in foreign affairs, but they binned them off.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Speaking of championship global sporting events, am getting ready to watch on TV delayed broadcast of the 2021 Westminster Dog Show. Which this year was (or maybe still is ongoing) held outdoors due to COVID.

Which based on the mutts I know, should be just dandy from the canine competitor's point of view!

at Lyndhurst, a gilded age robber baron mansion just down the road from where we live, There is now anti Westminster Kennel Club graffiti in our town as a result.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

I don't place anything in ohhhh the sounds off, oh the lighting isn't quite right. I mean even on established channels it goes wrong.

I think a valid criticism from the Guardian piece is they haven't managed to hire say a Piers Morgan or Nick Ferrari. Ferrari would have been a good hire for GB News, as he is a tough interviewer without going over the top like Morgan.

They needed something like that, and then some people who really know their stuff. Sky News back in the day actually had that with for example Tim Marshall, a real expert in foreign affairs, but they binned them off.
    "I don't place anything in ohhhh the sounds off, oh the lighting isn't quite right. I mean even on established channels it goes wrong."

True but on the other hand, GB News's launch was the night for which it had six months to prepare and rehearse, to get the lighting right and the set design right and to synchronise sound and pictures. If they can't get it right when they are under no pressure at all, what will happen when GB News is reacting to a bomb or an earthquake or, you know, news?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

"I don't place anything in ohhhh the sounds off, oh the lighting isn't quite right. I mean even on established channels it goes wrong."

True but on the other hand, GB News's launch was the night for which it had six months to prepare and rehearse, to get the lighting right and the set design right and to synchronise sound and pictures. If they can't get it right when they are under no pressure at all, what will happen when GB News is reacting to a bomb or an earthquake or, you know, news?
    They haven't been building the set or rehearsing for 6 months though. Its all happened in a month or so. Yes the channel has long been touted, but now I don't know if that is because of COVID or something else, but they haven't been actually in that office for very long.

You can see on YouTube, literally 3 weeks ago, it was an empty unit. Its all been cobbled together very quickly.

As for reacting to breaking news, Neil claims you are looking in the wrong place if you think that is what GB news is for.

Personally I don't see it, but then I'm not a retired Brexit supporter pissed off with the BBC and Sky and doesn't know where to look on YouTube to get expert opinion. That is clearly their demographic, as most of their hires couldn't be described as experts in anything.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    Andy_JS said:

Stuart Jeffries"

I suspect that was an article that was mostly written well before GB News actually aired. As far as the Guardian columnists were concerned GB news would never be allowed to be anything other than a failure in their paper.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

at Lyndhurst, a gilded age robber baron mansion just down the road from where we live, There is now anti Westminster Kennel Club graffiti in our town as a result.
    What are they unhappy about? The crowds? (Of people, not dogs!)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Andy_JS said:

Stuart Jeffries"

I suspect that was an article that was mostly written well before GB News actually aired. As far as the Guardian columnists were concerned GB news would never be allowed to be anything other than a failure in their paper.
    Yes, places I wouldn't go for an unbiased review of GB News...

That being said, I really can't see the business model for GB News.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Stuart Jeffries"

Its totally baffling to me. They aren't even exploiting YouTube properly, like BBC and Sky, there are a few random clips put up, but that's it.

If it was a smaller outfit, nimble and low cost, and then they went with some sort of (split) subscription type model, I could perhaps see it. The way a Sam Harris makes all his money, you can get some of the content for free, you need to sub for the rest.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Stuart Jeffries"

Its totally baffling to me. They aren't even exploiting YouTube properly, like BBC and Sky, there are a few random clips put up, but that's it.

If it was a smaller outfit, nimble and low cost, and then they went with some sort of (split) subscription type model, I could perhaps see it. The way a Sam Harris makes all his money, you can get some of the content for free, you need to sub for the rest.
    Maybe they're afraid of being kicked off YouTube if they livestream everything.
  • Options
    This thread has been shut down like GB News in 6 months...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,182

Andy_JS said:

Stuart Jeffries"

They were always going to write that sort of review, just as the telegraph was always going to write a favourable one.
This discussion has been closed.