Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds remainers more likely than leavers to

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,294
    What Tories appear to be struggling with is that voters don’t actually like Bozo, and he isn’t the good campaigner he was cracked up to be. He is afloat simply because voters dislike Corbyn more.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Newcastle under Lyme staying Labour, but Don Valley going Con - poor TissuePrice!

Which MRP is that from?
    FocalData
    Cheers. Its all very confusing.
  • Options

Hmm - Grieve may only be about 10% behind now in Beaconfield, according to this. That may be the reason for the strange Tory hustings cancellation mentioned in the Indy.

He also thinks Raab's in trouble.

https://twitter.com/paulhilder/status/1204445438071517184

I think Grieve will do it. Non-Tories will know it will piss off Boris; Tories will know Grieve's an ardent Tory but a free-thinking one who'll bolster the constituency's profile. Win win for him.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Ave it now calling it. All the wealthy property owners in Richmond Park not liking CORBYN. So possible 10% swing LD to CON Richmond Park! Davey could also be cheerio although I was slightly out on this last time!
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

rcs1000 said:

The Conservative lead will be at least ten points, and I would be very surprised if the majority is less than 80. (I reckon the Conservatives will beat 1987, but fall short of 1983.)

The Labour Party will find itself with a seat total very similar to the Conservatives in 1997. While they'll hold up well in dense city centres and university seats, they'll do poorly in their traditional heartlands. Lots of smaller Leave-leaning towns are going to go Blue.

The LibDems are going to regret "Bollocks to Brexit", and personalising the campaign around Jo Swinson. She may even lose her seat. That being said, in pure vote terms, the LDs will do significantly better than in '15 or '17. With 50+% more votes than last time, and it would be surprising if they were to actually fall backwards in number of seats.

The SNP benefits in 2019 from Lab-to-SNP switchers, and Unionist tactical voting unwinding thanks to Brexit... but this is probably a one-off. With Brexit behind us, Unionist tactical voting will return in 2024.

Save this post.

Where does all this confidence come from though?

The California Sun?!
    From the fact the regional crossroads look absolutely dire for Labour.

Like really really bad.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Artist said:

marke0903 said:

NEW MRP model from Focaldata:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

A Brexit designed by the ERG with those figures.
    We’d risk a No Deal Brexit with that.

It’s in everyone’s interests for Boris to win big, even the Labour Party as it’s their only route back to sanity and Government.
    So wrong
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    Ave_it said:

speedy2 said:

The Focaldata MRP is really weird.
    They have the Conservatives doing better in London than in the North.

They have the Conservatives of being in danger in Cumbria but IDS being comfortably ahead.

Bolsover Tory Gain
    Bolsover Skinner maj 1,000. But CON gain Derby N, Ashfield and just maybe Derby S???
    I live in the constituency (derby south) and labour have actually tried to canvass my house (the first time in the 17 years I've lived in it). I think they're worried but I expect Beckett to hold on (sadly this mess is all her fault).
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    IanB2 said:

What Tories appear to be struggling with is that voters don’t actually like Bozo, and he isn’t the good campaigner he was cracked up to be. He is afloat simply because voters dislike Corbyn more.

We have Johnson as a result of Corbyn. They need each other.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Fuck. So MRP is not gonna relieve the anxiety

24-30 is what I predicted at the very beginning of the campaign (i.e a small majority) but right now it feels far far far too close.

Labour is fast catching up, the boy-on-the-floor has yet to impact the polls, it needs the tiniest swing for Boris to be unseated by a quasi-Islamist Marxist Jew-hater.

I need heroin.

I don't know if this will calm you, but...

Before things get that bad, there's quite a big window where Boris remains trapped in No 10, but tragically impotent. If the DUP say "a plague on both your houses" (which seems pretty likely) on matters of confidence, then Jez has got to be doing a lot better to get close to assembling a coalition.

A PM who is good at this sort of thing- a Wilson or a Major- can make a minority government work for a bit. It won't be able to solve Brexit, natch, but given that we still don't have any collective feel for what we want a Brexit solution to look like, that might be for the best.

The big problem is that running a minority government needs guile, which isn't top of the list of Boris Johnson's traits. Even a majority of 30 might be pushing it. Given the agenda of the new parliament, I'd be continually wondering if he'd blow up his majority in a fit of stupidity. If the majority falls below 20, it might be a question of when he blows up his majority.

Wonder what the range is for BoJo to i) stay in No 10 and ii) be confident of getting whatever he wants through? Looks like we're heading for something between those points anyway.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rcs1000 said:

The Conservative lead will be at least ten points, and I would be very surprised if the majority is less than 80. (I reckon the Conservatives will beat 1987, but fall short of 1983.)

The Labour Party will find itself with a seat total very similar to the Conservatives in 1997. While they'll hold up well in dense city centres and university seats, they'll do poorly in their traditional heartlands. Lots of smaller Leave-leaning towns are going to go Blue.

The LibDems are going to regret "Bollocks to Brexit", and personalising the campaign around Jo Swinson. She may even lose her seat. That being said, in pure vote terms, the LDs will do significantly better than in '15 or '17. With 50+% more votes than last time, and it would be surprising if they were to actually fall backwards in number of seats.

The SNP benefits in 2019 from Lab-to-SNP switchers, and Unionist tactical voting unwinding thanks to Brexit... but this is probably a one-off. With Brexit behind us, Unionist tactical voting will return in 2024.

Save this post.

That's certainly bold of you. Do you think that the Labour Leavers will actually cross right over and vote Conservative in large numbers then?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,844
    kle4 said:

Newcastle under Lyme staying Labour, but Don Valley going Con - poor TissuePrice!

Although I don't like Boris's New Model Wehrmacht, I will be sad if @Tissue_Price does not make it. Or at least until he gets assimilated... :(
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IshmaelZ said:

saddened said:

houndtang said:

Re NHS - my stepmother has been waiting for an x-ray result for over two weeks now. Two separate conversations with cab drivers - one Romanian, one Egyptian - and both told me they could get x-ray results in their home countries in 5 minutes.

Also my father - suffering from cancer and other ailments - was 10 days ago discharged from hospital only to record a temperature of 39.8 two hours later. And promptly had to return to the same hospital the very same day.

The taxi drivers are naughty little fibbers.
    Probably true, if they mean "if you pay cash USD and aren't fussy about the qualifications of the radiographer or safety of the equipment."
    Is not the concept of an x ray taking two weeks to process outdated though? The image goes immediately to the consultant for review electronically and decisions made, well that’s how it is in Spain
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I've been moderated for pointing out that anyone who votes for Corbyn, or helps a Labour MP with a tactical vote, is enabling the elevation of a quasi-Islamist, Britain-loathing, Jew-hating prime minister, with all that means for the soul of the nation.

And these people need to morally own their awful decision, and the terrible consequences. Remainerism is a passing affair, anti-Semitism and crypto-Marxism are continuing evils that hurt millions, and will hurt again.

I'm sorry if this offends. But it is simply the truth

Given all that, which I largely agree with, it’s pretty clear Johnson inspires a level of disgust which causes many to overlook what you observe.

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    IanB2 said:

True it’s basically who you hate less.

I think the gender gap will be the big thing on the night .
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Byronic said:

24-30 is what I predicted at the very beginning of the campaign (i.e a small majority) but right now it feels far far far too close.

Labour is fast catching up, the boy-on-the-floor has yet to impact the polls, it needs the tiniest swing for Boris to be unseated by a quasi-Islamist Marxist Jew-hater.

I need heroin.

I would not wish to share a trench with you.

I'm just a bit bemused at the way some people seem to think Corbyn is storming to victory, when his ratings are in the toilet.

I think the concern Byronic has is that Boris’s are also starting to circle the urinal in the same gents.
    They are not good, but they are not in the same league as Corbyn's.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

That is my view, more or less. Bollocks to Brexit and gender self I/D are unpopular positions with the voters.
    I have no idea why Jo Swinson, having realised she was struggling to gain traction in this election, decided the answer was gender self I/D.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Ave_it said:

speedy2 said:

They have the Conservatives of being in danger in Cumbria but IDS being comfortably ahead.

Bolsover Tory Gain
    Bolsover Skinner maj 1,000. But CON gain Derby N, Ashfield and just maybe Derby S???
    I live in the constituency (derby south) and labour have actually tried to canvass my house (the first time in the 17 years I've lived in it). I think they're worried but I expect Beckett to hold on (sadly this mess is all her fault).
    Yes likely but by only 2,000. If that is the case then LAB have one seat in the Midlands excl Birm and Leic
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Dead heat in Lanark and Hamilton East on the Focal Data, same as 2017, but with Lab further back, which seems weird.
  • Options

Byronic said:

I need heroin.

Before things get that bad, there's quite a big window where Boris remains trapped in No 10, but tragically impotent. If the DUP say "a plague on both your houses" (which seems pretty likely) on matters of confidence, then Jez has got to be doing a lot better to get close to assembling a coalition.

A PM who is good at this sort of thing- a Wilson or a Major- can make a minority government work for a bit. It won't be able to solve Brexit, natch, but given that we still don't have any collective feel for what we want a Brexit solution to look like, that might be for the best.

The big problem is that running a minority government needs guile, which isn't top of the list of Boris Johnson's traits. Even a majority of 30 might be pushing it. Given the agenda of the new parliament, I'd be continually wondering if he'd blow up his majority in a fit of stupidity. If the majority falls below 20, it might be a question of when he blows up his majority.

Wonder what the range is for BoJo to i) stay in No 10 and ii) be confident of getting whatever he wants through? Looks like we're heading for something between those points anyway.
    Bozo is like HY - he will tell everyone who doesn’t agree with him to go away - then wonder where they went.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

That's certainly bold of you. Do you think that the Labour Leavers will actually cross right over and vote Conservative in large numbers then?
    More people will cross from Labour to Conservative than from Conservative to Labour. So, the numbers will be sufficient.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    This is turning into nightmare situation. Same sort of parliament we have now, so more silly buggery for years, Corbynonomics cemented in place as the true believers will think one more heave (and they will get it next time because Brexit won't be sorted and global recession is coming) and the Lib Dems nowhere.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

I need heroin.

Bozo is like HY - he will tell everyone who doesn’t agree with him to go away - then wonder where they went.
    Worked well for the Corbyn cultists.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Bedford Tory Gain 41% to 40% LD 10%
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Hmm - Grieve may only be about 10% behind now in Beaconfield, according to this. That may be the reason for the strange Tory hustings cancellation mentioned in the Indy.

I think Grieve will do it. Non-Tories will know it will piss off Boris; Tories will know Grieve's an ardent Tory but a free-thinking one who'll bolster the constituency's profile. Win win for him.
    The problem for Grieve and for other independent MP's is that they don't have local popularity of the size needed to overcome party votes.

Locally he was denounced by the constituency association which tried for many years now to get rid of him.

He is simply an MP who is in the wrong place in the wrong party at the wrong time.
    But even Chuka is strugling in the City.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

rcs1000 said:

I would be opposing the LDs in every seat now. They could be looking at almost a wipe out I fancy.

They'd have to be pretty unlucky to increase their total vote count by 50+% and see an almost total wipeout.

Not impossible, of course, but unlikely.

I'd have thought their Deepest Remainia seats would be pretty safe: Twickenham, Kingston, OxWAb, Bath, plus Orkney & Shetland. I'd also be staggered if they didn't take Richmond Park.
    That would be almost a wipe out wouldn't it? 12 per cent plus is not a given either- we have already had polls at lower levels and there is still the potential last minute squeeze to come.
    They only need to get 11% to reach a 50% jump in votes. Don't forget they only got 7.4% in 2017. Now, it's possible they fall short of that, but have there been any polls (yet!) with them on 10%?

Of the LDs current seats, the three Leave voting seats are clearly vulnerable (North Norfolk, Eastbourne, Carshalton), and potentially up to three Scottish seats (O&S is safe).

So, my reckon on a sensible floor for the LDs is 6 + 1 (Richmond Park), aka 7.

But I also suspect they'll do better than that. Those additional votes - and even if they were to get just 10% - would still mean they'd increased their total 40%. Those votes have to go somewhere. And in 2017, Farron may have spent his time talking about gay sex, but the underlying targeting of seats was much better than either I, or any other posters, thought. Who expected to see OxWAb or Bath or Eastbourne turn Yellow? Not me. (Kingston and Twickenham I did see... but the others, not so much.)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Although I don't like Boris's New Model Wehrmacht, I will be sad if @Tissue_Price does not make it. Or at least until he gets assimilated... :(

He seems a pleasant enough fellow, but he’s a typical party line man and I haven’t seen him say anything here of striking insight or independence of thought. He won’t do any harm but our politics is really not wanting for more party whip backbenchers.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I've been moderated for pointing out that anyone who votes for Corbyn, or helps a Labour MP with a tactical vote, is enabling the elevation of a quasi-Islamist, Britain-loathing, Jew-hating prime minister, with all that means for the soul of the nation.

And these people need to morally own their awful decision, and the terrible consequences. Remainerism is a passing affair, anti-Semitism and crypto-Marxism are continuing evils that hurt millions, and will hurt again.

I feel much the same way.

I can’t understand why 46% of the electorate would seemingly prefer him as PM in a forced choice.

This should really be down at Chirac v. Le Pen levels.
  • Options

Bedford Tory Gain 41% to 40% LD 10%

Yes BJO in line with Ave it projection marginal CON gain

• Options
    Ave_it said:

spudgfsh said:

Ave_it said:

speedy2 said:

Bolsover Tory Gain
    Yes likely but by only 2,000. If that is the case then LAB have one seat in the Midlands excl Birm and Leic
    I'm a member of the Lib Dems but we have no chance in the seat. I have to make the decision between the devil and the deep blue sea on thursday. I'm tempted to vote Conservative only because it'll get Beckett closer to being voted out.

Lab will hold onto seats in nottingham surely?
  • Options
    While you shouldn't take FocalData too seriously, it does have Dumbartonshire East as *very* close.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

He seems a pleasant enough fellow, but he’s a typical party line man and I haven’t seen him say anything here of striking insight or independence of thought. He won’t do any harm but our politics is really not wanting for more party whip backbenchers.
    If we're going to get more party line people they might as well be political betting wonks as well at least.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,016
    marke0903 said:

Joe Armitage
    @joe_armitage
    ·
    8m
    The size of the majority rhymes with flirty.

I called it first. A fucking bellend. Anyone disagreeing?
  • Options
    Correct Horse Battery will be back at 10pm if MRP shows less than CON maj 200

I haven't seen MRP but I wouldn't be surprised if it was LAB/SNP overall government
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Byronic said:

I can’t understand why 46% of the electorate would seemingly prefer him as PM in a forced choice.

Boris is a bully, serial cheat, proven liar and unlawful in office. Can’t understand why anyone could vote for that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

While you shouldn't take FocalData too seriously, it does have Dumbartonshire East as *very* close.

While having Fife NE as a comfortable LD gain. And the SNP taking Caithness.

I must admit, the fairly random turnover of seats looks quite convincing to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

• Options

This is turning into nightmare situation. Same sort of parliament we have now, so more silly buggery for years, Corbynonomics cemented in place as the true believers will think one more heave (and they will get it next time because Brexit won't be sorted and global recession is coming) and the Lib Dems nowhere.

Why don't you just predict a Labour majority of 150?

Then, anything less than that will be a bonus.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

The problem for Grieve and for other independent MP's is that they don't have local popularity of the size needed to overcome party votes.

Locally he was denounced by the constituency association which tried for many years now to get rid of him.

He is simply an MP who is in the wrong place in the wrong party at the wrong time.
    Disagree. Grieve is as almost as synonymous with Brexit as Boris. His profile in his constituency will now be huge. Everyone will see him as 'our man' and vote him in.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Ave_it said:

spudgfsh said:

Ave_it said:

speedy2 said:

Bolsover Tory Gain
    I'm a member of the Lib Dems but we have no chance in the seat. I have to make the decision between the devil and the deep blue sea on thursday. I'm tempted to vote Conservative only because it'll get Beckett closer to being voted out.

Lab will hold onto seats in nottingham surely?
    Please vote CON. Please. We need the vote
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Artist said:

marke0903 said:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

It’s in everyone’s interests for Boris to win big, even the Labour Party as it’s their only route back to sanity and Government.
    So wrong
    No, it’s spot on.

If Labour do “ok” - again - you’ll be stuck with a hard Left successor on a ‘one more heave’ basis, who will - again - fail to win next time.

Boris is going to take a lot of political damage for the final Brexit Deal, and very probably suffer a nasty recession in office too. The Tories will become wildly disliked.

It doesn’t matter even if they get 400 seats, the electorate is very volatile these days and the right (sane) leader Labour could gain 200 seats in the subsequent election and a majority if they sort themselves out.

The radiotherapy needs to be applied first. But, you must first get over your immediate hatred of the Tories and see the long game.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I would be opposing the LDs in every seat now. They could be looking at almost a wipe out I fancy.

They'd have to be pretty unlucky to increase their total vote count by 50+% and see an almost total wipeout.

I'd have thought their Deepest Remainia seats would be pretty safe: Twickenham, Kingston, OxWAb, Bath, plus Orkney & Shetland. I'd also be staggered if they didn't take Richmond Park.
    That would be almost a wipe out wouldn't it? 12 per cent plus is not a given either- we have already had polls at lower levels and there is still the potential last minute squeeze to come.
    They only need to get 11% to reach a 50% jump in votes. Don't forget they only got 7.4% in 2017. Now, it's possible they fall short of that, but have there been any polls (yet!) with them on 10%?

Of the LDs current seats, the three Leave voting seats are clearly vulnerable (North Norfolk, Eastbourne, Carshalton), and potentially up to three Scottish seats (O&S is safe).

But I also suspect they'll do better than that. Those additional votes - and even if they were to get just 10% - would still mean they'd increased their total 40%. Those votes have to go somewhere. And in 2017, Farron may have spent his time talking about gay sex, but the underlying targeting of seats was much better than either I, or any other posters, thought. Who expected to see OxWAb or Bath or Eastbourne turn Yellow? Not me. (Kingston and Twickenham I did see... but the others, not so much.)
    Well I certainly expected the LibDems to gain Bath and nicely profitable it was too.

I'd say it was probably the most predictable LibDem gain in 2017.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

Bullish.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

Byronic said:

I think Corbyn is a prick. But Boris Johnson seems to be doing all he can to make me think he is even worse (his "EU Citizens have been using the UK as their own country for too long" article the latest example).
  • Options

Byronic said:

Given all that, which I largely agree with, it’s pretty clear Johnson inspires a level of disgust which causes many to overlook what you observe.

I know quite a few people who are about to vote Labour and they simply have not taken on board the reality of Corbyn and the Labour leadership. They are blind to what they are doing. During the campaign for much of the time it is like a simulacrum of a normal election in a stable democracy so Corbyn is normalised. Quite frightening.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

And not gaining Barrow
    Barrow is a nailed on Tory Gain with sex pest Woodcock on their side surely
    alleged might be prudent?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Ave_it said:

I haven't seen MRP but I wouldn't be surprised if it was LAB/SNP overall government

He's already been tweeting with excitement about a nailed on hung parliament
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Why are you assuming these projections will turn out to be accurate . I think today’s Ashworth story will hurt Labour , even though Johnson yesterday could have hurt the Tories but Labour needed no dramas in the last two days .

I expect a Tory majority of around 50 seats . And it pains me to say that .
  • Options
    edited December 2019

speedy2 said:

Disagree. Grieve is as almost as synonymous with Brexit as Boris. His profile in his constituency will now be huge. Everyone will see him as 'our man' and vote him in.
    My entry in the prediction contest earlier had Others=2. One for the Speaker and one for either Claire Wright or Dominic G. Edit/ or Naomi in NI
  • Options
    Where's David Herdson's prediction?

I was out with young people and slightly older - but backed with family money - tonight. I didn't get a warm BORIS feeling
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Grieve has the following problems, also known as the Rory Stewart paradox:
    1. He's a Tory
    2. He's not.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    vv
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

"haven’t seen him say anything here of striking insight or independence of thought". I have.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

You may well be accurate, although I suspect your results have more to do with reading your tea leaves than any scientific extrapolation.

I have the result as anything from the Conservative Party on most seats to a hundred plus majority. I can't believe the LDs will be so low either.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Artist said:

marke0903 said:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

So wrong
    No, it’s spot on.

If Labour do “ok” - again - you’ll be stuck with a hard Left successor on a ‘one more heave’ basis, who will - again - fail to win next time.

Boris is going to take a lot of political damage for the final Brexit Deal, and very probably suffer a nasty recession in office too. The Tories will become wildly disliked.

It doesn’t matter even if they get 400 seats, the electorate is very volatile these days and the right (sane) leader Labour could gain 200 seats in the subsequent election and a majority if they sort themselves out.

The radiotherapy needs to be applied first. But, you must first get over your immediate hatred of the Tories and see the long game.
    Giving Boris a blank cheque is not the answer.
    You are far too fixated (visceral like, with your lifelong record of Labour activism) on denying “The Tories” a win.

You’re thinking with your gut, not your head.

We know enough about Boris to know he follows the path of least resistance. And he’ll go soft if he has the political room to do so.

I’d say, from your point of view, it’s about giving him enough rope to hang himself.

• Options

speedy2 said:

50% in Beaconsfield won't vote for him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

If we're going to get more party line people they might as well be political betting wonks as well at least.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland could also go of course . Otherwise agree on your base case.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Byronic said:

I think Corbyn is a prick. But Boris Johnson seems to be doing all he can to make me think he is even worse (his "EU Citizens have been using the UK as their own country for too long" article the latest example).
    CatMan said:

Byronic said:

He isn’t ‘even worse’. Far from it.

And the quote wasn’t as you describe. He was describing the fact that free movement applied across the whole EU so the UK couldn’t distinguish, and he made the point in a perfectly rational and reasonable manner.

There are things to criticise Boris for, heavily, like tank-topped bumboys, letterboxes and suicide bombing gags.

This isn’t one of them.
  • Options
    MRP shows Tory majority of 30 apparently
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Stephen Daisley in the Spectator - Nicola Sturgeon’s failings are catching up with her

"Could the SNP leader’s sudden transformation from Dolores Umbridge to Luna Lovegood be connected to the fact she has been forced to campaign in Lanarkshire? Or to her futile pleas for party activists not to canvass for a candidate dropped for anti-Semitism? Or to the stubborn failure of the polls to show the Scottish Tories being punished for Brexit?"
  • Options
    I am out tomorrow in an Irish pub somewhere towards the north of Boris' constituency.

I am out with my best friend who like me had no mummy and daddy money but has done very well (he works on TFL so he would do :smile: ) and he is a hard left pro McDonnell person

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    CatMan said:

Byronic said:

Very succinctly put!
  • Options
    Hey! I'm back!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    HaroldO said:

IanB2 said:

The Conservative and Labour Parties are both shit. Fear of one enables the other. And the worst thing is the further apart they repel one another (and, by extension, their voters,) the more secure they become.

The Tories have permission to present us with Boris Johnson as Prime Minister because Labour started all of this by throwing their rattles out the pram when Mr Tombstone flopped. If they finish second in an election for the fourth time on the bounce then God alone knows what form of deranged lunatic Momentum will inflict upon the country, in the seemingly inevitable fit of uncomprehending and thwarted rage that will begin on Friday morning under those circumstances.

The rest of us are caught between these two hostile camps and completely powerless to escape.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Boris is a bully, serial cheat, proven liar and unlawful in office. Can’t understand why anyone could vote for that.
    Boris is a twit and a liar, a ruthless careerist, and quite amoral. He's not a nice man. Albeit clever.

But Corbyn is in a different league. How can you not see that? Corbyn is dangerously stupid and nasty, and a friend of very very evil people, who he enables. He has actual Stalinists for ALLIES and COLLEAGUES.

Casino is right, this is our version of Chirac versus Le Pen, the fraud versus the fascist. Boris is the fraud, Corbyn is the fascist.

It should be no contest.

• Options

Ave_it said:

Wait what? He thinks there’ll be a hung parliament?

That’s new.
  • Options
    If we are to assume the YouGov MRP will show a 30 seat majority on a ~9 point lead (which is what the other MRP released tonight shows), to me that indicates a movement of 2 points will result in a Hung Parliament?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Artist said:

marke0903 said:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

So wrong
    No, it’s spot on.

You are far too fixated (visceral like, with your lifelong record of Labour activism) on denying “The Tories” a win.

We know enough about Boris to know he follows the path of least resistance. And he’ll go soft if he has the political room to do so.

I’d say, from your point of view, it’s about giving him enough rope to hang himself.

Nope. I don’t trust Boris. There is a significant chance he will deliver a hard Brexit. With a majority there is no mechanism to stop that. Hence I will vote to deny him that majority.
  • Options
    I know you all missed me deeply, I was banned.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland could also go of course . Otherwise agree on your base case.
    Indeed, but my assumption is that they will get a lot more second places but few new MPs. in 2024 those second places will be to their advantage though especially if people are as fatigued with the Tories as they were in 1997.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

That is my view, more or less. Bollocks to Brexit and gender self I/D are unpopular positions with the voters.
    I have no idea why Jo Swinson, having realised she was struggling to gain traction in this election, decided the answer was gender self I/D.
    Most of Swinson's tactical calls have been wrong (to put it kindly), but transphobia is a massive issue for a certain demographic. I reckon it's the most binary divide in Britain today apart from, you know, that whole Brexit thing.

Much of the PB commentariat could largely be construed as the polar opposite of that demographic. And that's fine. But don't doubt that there are lots of people out there for who this is a huge thing.
  • Options
    Just ordering the patented Polly nose-peg off Amazon for Thursday.....
  • Options

Hey! I'm back!

We've been missing you!

:lol:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

It's like Edwin Edwards v David Duke.

We vote for Edwin Edwards because the alternative is even worse.
  • Options

Has Twitter done the same yet?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Boris is a twit and a liar, a ruthless careerist, and quite amoral. He's not a nice man. Albeit clever.

But Corbyn is in a different league. How can you not see that? Corbyn is dangerously stupid and nasty, and a friend of very very evil people, who he enables. He has actual Stalinists for ALLIES and COLLEAGUES.

Casino is right, this is our version of Chirac versus Le Pen, the fraud versus the fascist. Boris is the fraud, Corbyn is the fascist.

It should be no contest.

It’s not a binary choice.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Has Twitter done the same yet?
    No I think I'm free to call people what they are over there.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Chirac vs Le Pen was the one that came to my mind.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

IanB2 said:

The Conservative and Labour Parties are both shit. Fear of one enables the other. And the worst thing is the further apart they repel one another (and, by extension, their voters,) the more secure they become.

The Tories have permission to present us with Boris Johnson as Prime Minister because Labour started all of this by throwing their rattles out the pram when Mr Tombstone flopped. If they finish second in an election for the fourth time on the bounce then God alone knows what form of deranged lunatic Momentum will inflict upon the country, in the seemingly inevitable fit of uncomprehending and thwarted rage that will begin on Friday morning under those circumstances.

The rest of us are caught between these two hostile camps and completely powerless to escape.
    I would join the Tories, but I'm a wet, a remainer and well under 50. The Lib Dems are nuts and Labour are a mess.
    So I'm stuck watching..
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2019
    The UK/NI border in the Irish Sea - the one that Boris says will not exist - will have its non-existent border checkpoints in Liverpool and Stranraer

It is nice to have that one cleared up.... :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50733840
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,700

Welcome back, looking forward to your commentary on the MRP.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

It should be no contest.

That's precisely what it is.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Wait what? He thinks there’ll be a hung parliament?

I'm not on twitter. Or Instagram. Or snapchat.

• Options

If we are to assume the YouGov MRP will show a 30 seat majority on a ~9 point lead (which is what the other MRP released tonight shows), to me that indicates a movement of 2 points will result in a Hung Parliament?

I expect that a 9% lead would result in a much bigger majority than 30. More like 70, IMHO, and that's where you should be betting.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Artist said:

marke0903 said:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

So wrong
    No, it’s spot on.

Nope. I don’t trust Boris. There is a significant chance he will deliver a hard Brexit. With a majority there is no mechanism to stop that. Hence I will vote to deny him that majority.
    And what if your vote gets Corbyn into power? And what if your vote gives Corbyn a small majorty? If enough people do what you are doing, then a Corbyn majority is certain. It's just logic.

Stalinists and anti-Semites running the country? YOU are enabling that. Shame, shame, shame, shame.
  • Options

You were? For how long? A tea-break???
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Welcome back, looking forward to your commentary on the MRP.
    Glad to have a couple of people value my contributions and whom treat me with some level of respect. Thanks.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Artist said:

marke0903 said:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

So wrong
    No, it’s spot on.

You'd be mad to trust Johnson with anything. He's a sociopathic liar who will do and say whatever he wants in his pursuit of power. There's nothing to prevent him deciding that a hard Brexit is to his personal benefit and going for it. In fact, that is what I expect him to do if he gets his majority.
  • Options

You were? For how long? A tea-break???
    A few hours, I didn't know what to do with myself
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

If that’s how you feel vote for someone else. It’s not a binary choice.

Right now looking at the polls the clear and present danger is a Tory majority. The priority has to be to limit Boris’ power.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

Most of Swinson's tactical calls have been wrong (to put it kindly), but transphobia is a massive issue for a certain demographic. I reckon it's the most binary divide in Britain today apart from, you know, that whole Brexit thing.

Much of the PB commentariat could largely be construed as the polar opposite of that demographic. And that's fine. But don't doubt that there are lots of people out there for who this is a huge thing.
    It's a huge issue in youth political circles. Outside it's almost not spoken about.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

It should be no contest.

YES. IT. IS.

LOOK AT THE POLLS
  • Options
    19 mins to go.

Will LAB/SNP go ahead?

LAB/SNP only need 280 to form a government
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

It should be no contest.

YES. IT. IS.

LOOK AT THE POLLS
    No it isn’t. Look at your ballot paper.
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019

Byronic said:

Few would agree with characterising Jeremy Corbyn as "Britain-loathing". Which way would Shelley, Blake, Burns and Dickens vote on Thursday?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Chirac had a far worse count on all measures.

Corbyn is a dangerous idiot who’s driven by a juvenile dogma that will see our economy collapse in a debt-fuelled crisis, and result in people lose their jobs and homes. He will make us far more vulnerable to security threats, that Russia and China will exploit, and quite possibly get people killed in developing terrorist plots that he refuses to act upon. Strikes will become frequent and more regular. Our lives will be depressed and utterly miserable. For some, Jews, there will be an exodus that will utterly shame our country. Others will fear for their rights of free expression in the intimidating atmosphere he facilitated, and the security of their properties.

Boris will just be a massive self-centred twat and rather lazy whilst doing it. He’ll drift along making pretty bog-standard establishment decisions, which he’ll big up as massive successes. But he won’t threaten the fundamentals of our national security, defence, economy, terrify one of our longstanding religious communities or pour fuel of the flames of political violence. He will be something of a damp squib and the Tories out by the next election, if sanity returns.

It isn’t even a difficult choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I won’t believe the YouGov MRP till I see it in the flesh.

@Casino_Royale , I find myself in a cleft stick. I dislike Boris and think his time in government will be bad for me, possibly very bad. However you and some other PB Tories are decent chaps and chapesses so I think I should point out that you have little to fear: Boris will gain a majority, Brexit will happen on time, and the Libs will be in the toilet. I dislike all of those outcomes, but that's what the data says. So no need to be so glum.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    CatMan said:

Byronic said:

I was initially very offended at that example. But when I read it in context I *think* he meant it as "they can travel here as easily as if they can travel in their own country which is far too unrestricted".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited December 2019

Hey! I'm back!

Fuck off

Edit: kidding.
This discussion has been closed.