Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for Boris’s big day to see CON resignations and the

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Endillion said:

Would the opposite response have been a good thing in practice, regardless of your personal feelings?
    Well, yeah. If Trump likes something, it’s safe to assume it’s bad.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019
    eek said:

Tabman said:

Fibre broadband? Has he not heard of 5G?

The 20th century solution to a problem that's been solved by China...
    Corrected for..

The 20th century solution to a problem whose solution has been stolen by China...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

What did the ConHome poll say, HYUFD ? In numbers or percentages.

I believe all the ConHome surveys had Boris 65%+
    Very clever, DUDE !
    Here it is:
    https://www.conservativehome.com/tag/next-tory-leader 73:27. So Mike was correct. Boris always underachieves what polls say.
    Considering his slightly lukewarm lead from the MPs and the suppossed fanaticism of the swivel eyed entryist membership, that is a faint hearted endorsement.

Is there a Boris out by Christmas market yet?
    November 19th is the important date. If Boris leaves before then he will be in the history books as the shortest reigning PM...
    Will Corbo be the only LotO to have seen off 3 PMs?
    Harold Wilson saw off 3 Tory PMs (though he did become PM himself, and briefly lost to one of those Tories, during that time).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    TGOHF said:

Caller on R5 re Boris

"This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me "

LOL !

It was Boris phoning in wasn't it?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    HYUFD said:

It’s been a long time since our country has been in the hands of someone so unsuitable and undeserving. There must have been somebody more recently than King John, but it isn’t obvious who.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,873
    Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Very clever, DUDE !
    Here it is:
    https://www.conservativehome.com/tag/next-tory-leader 73:27. So Mike was correct. Boris always underachieves what polls say.
    Considering his slightly lukewarm lead from the MPs and the suppossed fanaticism of the swivel eyed entryist membership, that is a faint hearted endorsement.

November 19th is the important date. If Boris leaves before then he will be in the history books as the shortest reigning PM...
    Will Corbo be the only LotO to have seen off 3 PMs?
    Seen off is such a silly way of referring to such events when clearly factors beyond the loto play a huge part. No doubt that's how he will spin it though, and in fairness if not for the racism scandals he might well be better than Boris, who hardly has clean hands.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

One thing we didn't discover was the number of Mr and Mrs Big G's who voted Neither. Must be more than the 500 odd spoiled ballots. Were they counted as abstentions?

A blank ballot paper is counted as spoiled.
    I thought there was a box marked Neither? Or am I wrong?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,340
    TGOHF said:

Caller on R5 re Boris

LOL !

Well there's someone who has had a lucky and rather sheltered life.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Caller on R5 re Boris

LOL !

It was Boris phoning in wasn't it?
    He certainly phones it in a lot.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

This doesn't look good for the Ashes...

England fast bowler James Anderson has been ruled out of his side's Ashes warm-up Test against Ireland at Lord's. Fast bowlers Mark Wood and Jofra Archer have side strains and were not named in the squad for the Ireland game, which starts on Wednesday.

Wood is unlikely to be fit before the fourth Ashes Test, which starts on 4 September, while England hope Archer could be available for the second Test, starting on 14 August.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49082928

Broad, Woakes and Curran medium fast deliveries aren't exactly going to worry the convicts.

Christ, there's more cricket? Haven't we had enough?
    What surprised me about this summer of sport is hearing more comments on the cricket than the Open golf.
    Why ? Cricket is better than all other sports including golf. The Open was a boring tournament this year.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    viewcode said:

As pointed out earlier this year following the March debacle, my political betting this year will consist mostly of currency conversion, so I did not have a dog in this fight. It seems to have been an object lesson in how to win money on the Con leadership election. I think Boris will be PM for longer than most people on here think, so those lessons will not be useful for some time, but good lessons nevertheless.

So. Congratulations to those who won money and genuine commiserations to those who lost: I hope you recoup your losses. Special mention to @HYUFD and @TheScreamingEagles , who spotted Boris and Hunt respectively.

So. What's next?... :)

Well bf has paid out on May's exit date so today is when they think it is. Which is strange but I'm not complaining!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Has Nabavi sent his resignation letter in yet?

It's written and ready to go once we have the formal announcement. For logistical reasons it will be sent tomorrow.
    That is a big step, Richard. Are you sure ?
    I resigned from Labour in 2003 but that was about a war. You can always "remain" a member but lie low.
    You can also always rejoin, so why lay low during the dark times?
    What are the rules on rejoining when there is a new contest? If you're not allowed to vote in a future contest, then makes sense to stay and wait [and it might not be that long tbh...]
    You have to be have been a member for three months on the date they call the election, to be eligible to vote. So if you want a vote next time, better join up soon!
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2019/jul/23/debt-ceiling-trade-war-rate-cut-brexit-pound-market-imf-world-economy-business-live?page=with:block-5d36df1f8f08d0b6ca536009#block-5d36df1f8f08d0b6ca536009
    UK factory orders shrink at biggest pace since financial crisis

OUCH! UK factory orders have fallen at the fastest pace in a decade, as Brexit uncertainty continues to hurt British manufacturing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

It's written and ready to go once we have the formal announcement. For logistical reasons it will be sent tomorrow.
    I resigned from Labour in 2003 but that was about a war. You can always "remain" a member but lie low.
    It's not so much that the party has chosen Boris, although that's bad enough, it's the reasons why they've chosen him. Hardly anyone I've talked to think he's actually fit to be PM, it's a choice not only of desperation, but above all of denial. They have chosen Boris not despite the fact that he's peddling fairy dust, but precisely because they know he's peddling fairy dust, and that's what they want.
    The dishonesty, incompetence and sheer dullness of the May years imposed a heavy price on the party. It is almost acceptable if someone is Machiavellian in a competent way and delivers effective government but she had all the cunning of a latter series Baldrick and left the country and the party in a terrible place.

That has driven the party and the country to a less nuanced, more committed position on both sides of the divide. It will be Boris' challenge to find a way by which he can deliver a policy around which a consensus can build and to work on developing that consensus. Can he do it? Who knows but almost anything has to be better than the last 3 years.

There is a lot of bitterness and cynicism, far more than any new PM I can recall, but we really should all wish him well. Its our country, after all.
    I hope he does well for all our sakes. But the man is a complete bullshitter relying on saying belief is enough to do anything. I hope he is more serious and gets lucky fast, as we all need it.
    Me too. He's not stupid. Vain, egotistical, inconsistent, lazy, unreliable but not stupid. We can only hope.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,895
    Just about t go back from lunch, so just thought I'd leave you with a little thought. Everybody on here is insisting hat Boris will be a short-lived pm. But that depends on his opponents, internal and external, behaving with more competence and courage than they have shown in the past. So it is entirely possible that Boris will continue and win for some time. I genuinely don't know, but I do think that possibility should not be insouciantly dismissed.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

It's not so much that the party has chosen Boris, although that's bad enough, it's the reasons why they've chosen him. Hardly anyone I've talked to think he's actually fit to be PM, it's a choice not only of desperation, but above all of denial. They have chosen Boris not despite the fact that he's peddling fairy dust, but precisely because they know he's peddling fairy dust, and that's what they want.
    The dishonesty, incompetence and sheer dullness of the May years imposed a heavy price on the party. It is almost acceptable if someone is Machiavellian in a competent way and delivers effective government but she had all the cunning of a latter series Baldrick and left the country and the party in a terrible place.

That has driven the party and the country to a less nuanced, more committed position on both sides of the divide. It will be Boris' challenge to find a way by which he can deliver a policy around which a consensus can build and to work on developing that consensus. Can he do it? Who knows but almost anything has to be better than the last 3 years.

There is a lot of bitterness and cynicism, far more than any new PM I can recall, but we really should all wish him well. Its our country, after all.
    I hope he does well for all our sakes. But the man is a complete bullshitter relying on saying belief is enough to do anything. I hope he is more serious and gets lucky fast, as we all need it.
    Me too. He's not stupid. Vain, egotistical, inconsistent, lazy, unreliable but not stupid. We can only hope.
    Sorry if I missed it, but who did you vote for?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,006

eek said:

Tabman said:

Corrected for..

The 20th century solution to a problem whose solution has been stolen by China...
    Huawei legimately have a set of 5G patents. You have to remember 5G is just what we currently have for 4G with incredibly tightened criteria to get everything out of it...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Just when you think the country has hit rock bottom the Conservative party finds a trap door.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Is it me or has the official Labour response to Johnson’s election been slower than it was to Swinson’s?

I think that tells us a lot about who Labour fears most. Rightly, they see Johnson as a help, not a hindrance. Swinson is a threat.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    So.
    We're about to be led, as a country, through a particularly trying period, by an inverted pyramid of Pfeffel.

Great.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,339
    Chris said:

If there are any MPs planning to leave the party, do people think they will go today, or wait until Johnson actually becomes prime minister? (At which point Donald Trump will presumably congratulate him on becoming leader of the Conservative Party.)

Trump has already congratulated Boris as PM
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
  • Options

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Just when you think the country has hit rock bottom the Conservative party finds a trap door.
    Under the 'the next leader is always worse' theory the big two will soon be led by Chris Williamson and Chris Chope.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,291
    viewcode said:

Just about t go back from lunch, so just thought I'd leave you with a little thought. Everybody on here is insisting hat Boris will be a short-lived pm. But that depends on his opponents, internal and external, behaving with more competence and courage than they have shown in the past. So it is entirely possible that Boris will continue and win for some time. I genuinely don't know, but I do think that possibility should not be insouciantly dismissed.

I agree. He has appeal. Now he's made it to PM, it could be hard to get rid of him. His tenure could well be far longer than people are assuming.

Although I do hope not, obviously.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He projects an amiable self image but he isn’t likeable, in the least. As evidenced by the hoards of people who have worked closely with him who can’t stand him. Even his own children aren’t all speaking to him.

He isn’t strong. Evidenced by the campaign we have just seen.

Maybe “not racist” should be top of the list. Assuming it is true.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Sorry if I missed it, but who did you vote for?
    I didn't have a vote, I have never joined the Conservative party. But I would have voted for Rory, then Gove, then Hunt. But we are where we are.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    From that, no one would guess the man was a professional writer.
    He probably meant to send the other tweet he had written. Got them mixed up sort-of-thing. Blimey. Crikey....
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    eek said:

Tabman said:

5g is no good over the large rural areas with poor broadband
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

It’s been a long time since our country has been in the hands of someone so unsuitable and undeserving. There must have been somebody more recently than King John, but it isn’t obvious who.
    There's some pretty stiff competition, even among monarchs - Edward II, Richard II, Richard III, Mary I, Charles I, James II ...
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2019/jul/23/debt-ceiling-trade-war-rate-cut-brexit-pound-market-imf-world-economy-business-live?page=with:block-5d36df1f8f08d0b6ca536009#block-5d36df1f8f08d0b6ca536009
    UK factory orders shrink at biggest pace since financial crisis

OUCH! UK factory orders have fallen at the fastest pace in a decade, as Brexit uncertainty continues to hurt British manufacturing.

The new mantra designed to dupe the plebs is to blame any slowdown on Brexit not happening , not the fact that it’s the fear of no deal which is the issue .
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

As pointed out earlier this year following the March debacle, my political betting this year will consist mostly of currency conversion, so I did not have a dog in this fight. It seems to have been an object lesson in how to win money on the Con leadership election. I think Boris will be PM for longer than most people on here think, so those lessons will not be useful for some time, but good lessons nevertheless.

So. Congratulations to those who won money and genuine commiserations to those who lost: I hope you recoup your losses. Special mention to @HYUFD and @TheScreamingEagles , who spotted Boris and Hunt respectively.

So. What's next?... :)

Well bf has paid out on May's exit date so today is when they think it is. Which is strange but I'm not complaining!
    She’s no longer leader of the Conservative party, as of today.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

Chris said:

If there are any MPs planning to leave the party, do people think they will go today, or wait until Johnson actually becomes prime minister? (At which point Donald Trump will presumably congratulate him on becoming leader of the Conservative Party.)

That was my point. He isn't PM yet!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Scott_P said:
    As long as he's never PM.... and only as long as Labour are Her Majesty's loyal opposition.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    TGOHF said:

England fast bowler James Anderson has been ruled out of his side's Ashes warm-up Test against Ireland at Lord's. Fast bowlers Mark Wood and Jofra Archer have side strains and were not named in the squad for the Ireland game, which starts on Wednesday.

Wood is unlikely to be fit before the fourth Ashes Test, which starts on 4 September, while England hope Archer could be available for the second Test, starting on 14 August.

Broad, Woakes and Curran medium fast deliveries aren't exactly going to worry the convicts.

What surprised me about this summer of sport is hearing more comments on the cricket than the Open golf.
    Why ? Cricket is better than all other sports including golf. The Open was a boring tournament this year.

Because golf gets more media attention and more money. Despite that, people do not seem to care very much about it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,098
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Under the 'the next leader is always worse' theory the big two will soon be led by Chris Williamson and Chris Chope.
    "Soon"? You underestimate how long the misery can be dragged out. We'll have to get through Angela Rayner and Gavin Williamson first.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

"Soon"? You underestimate how long the misery can be dragged out. We'll have to get through Angela Rayner and Gavin Williamson first.
    LOL!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    edited July 2019

Is it me or has the official Labour response to Johnson’s election been slower than it was to Swinson’s?

I think that tells us a lot about who Labour fears most. Rightly, they see Johnson as a help, not a hindrance. Swinson is a threat.

A poll of Labour members had Boris easily the Tory they feared most.

Corbyn risks losing Leave seats to Boris and Farage and Remainers to Swinson
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,339
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Since when has detail been a Trump consideration
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Tell that to the BBC live text writers too.
  • Options
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

There's some pretty stiff competition, even among monarchs - Edward II, Richard II, Richard III, Mary I, Charles I, James II ...
    Mostly laziness on my part. Although you can’t judge by how things turned out; a fair comparison would be of their apparent suitability and merit at the point of taking office.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    edited July 2019

TGOHF said:

Because golf gets more media attention and more money. Despite that, people do not seem to care very much about it.
    The huge money in golf is because it is a US sport I think. All their sports seem to have an absolubte crap ton of money in them compared to even the top of the footballing tree.

In 50 years time the IPL contracts might look of similiar size to baseball, but not yet.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sky have just taken down their “New PM” banner that’s been up for the last hour.

Edit: Or maybe not, it’s back up again now.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Just noticed on the BBC News at One that Penny Mordaunt looked less than thrilled during Boris's speech.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sky have just taken down their “New PM” banner that’s been up for the last hour.
    Why does the media insist on pedaling so much fake news !
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Would the opposite response have been a good thing in practice, regardless of your personal feelings?
    He likes pizza. Is that bad?

My point was that, in practice, it's better that the sitting US president is on good terms with the UK PM (elect), than neutral or hostile. The same would also be true of the Russians, if you ignore what the PM would have to have done to bring about that turn of events.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Not to mention PM Farage - one of HY’s predictions strangely forgotten, along with PM JRM
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    JackW said:

Just noticed on the BBC News at One that Penny Mordaunt looked less than thrilled during Boris's speech.

She had a large bet on Hunt ?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    kle4 said:

Seen off is such a silly way of referring to such events when clearly factors beyond the loto play a huge part. No doubt that's how he will spin it though, and in fairness if not for the racism scandals he might well be better than Boris, who hardly has clean hands.

I agree. On these things, Corbyn could genuinely claim that he was present, but not involved.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

I agree. He has appeal. Now he's made it to PM, it could be hard to get rid of him. His tenure could well be far longer than people are assuming.

Although I do hope not, obviously.

He is lucky Mrs M has left him so many copybooks.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat, not very good jokes and incomprehensible classical allusions.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

It was too close a vote for such an important decision.

The people didn't know what they were voting for.

Getting May out of Downing Street is going to be too difficult.

(etc)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Edward VIII perhaps in that list?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JackW said:

She had a large bet on Hunt ?
    Yes, her career.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    "Keep your trousers on Boris. Make sure you've got them on when you meet the Queen"

Shouted a well wisher outside parliament
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    edited July 2019
    Looking across the pond, the Democratic nominee candidates who are 1st and 2nd in the polls continue to have odds of 5.5 and 12.5 respectively to win the nomination. The media seem to prefer a Warren, Harris or Buttigieg nomination to Biden or Sanders, but can that really account for such a disparity?

The 1.2 on Trump not being impeached in his first term seems generous too
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

One thing we didn't discover was the number of Mr and Mrs Big G's who voted Neither. Must be more than the 500 odd spoiled ballots. Were they counted as abstentions?

A blank ballot paper is counted as spoiled.
    I thought there was a box marked Neither? Or am I wrong?
    You are wrong.

Incidentally, if everyone can keep talking up what a disaster he's going to be, that would be much appreciated. I voted for Hunt, but would be delighted to see Johnson succeed against my expectations. His task is easier with low expectations.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

He likes pizza. Is that bad?

My point was that, in practice, it's better that the sitting US president is on good terms with the UK PM (elect), than neutral or hostile. The same would also be true of the Russians, if you ignore what the PM would have to have done to bring about that turn of events.
    How about pineapple on pizza?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,006
    notme2 said:

eek said:

Tabman said:

Getting 5g signals there will still be cheaper than laying cables - unless you do it yourself as B4RN organised...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Tobias Ellwood is NOT resigning.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    eek said:

notme2 said:

eek said:

Tabman said:

Getting 5g signals there will still be cheaper than laying cables - unless you do it yourself as B4RN organised...
    Fibre broadband is substantially more scalable than 5G is in densely packed areas with a high proportion of customers. It's generally more reliable too. 5G is likely to be very good for rural areas, although SpaceX's new satellite cluster might provide a plausible alternative for high speed broadband.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

eek said:

notme2 said:

eek said:

Tabman said:

Fibre broadband is substantially more scalable than 5G is in densely packed areas with a high proportion of customers. It's generally more reliable too. 5G is likely to be very good for rural areas, although SpaceX's new satellite cluster might provide a plausible alternative for high speed broadband.
    There seems to be a growing campaign against 5G because of supposed health risks. No idea whether there is anything to worry about, or not.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,211
    edited July 2019
    It's a family affair.

https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1153637574386302976

Did Roy of the Rovers play for Kingston United at one point?

Edit: there is Kingston United 'soccer' club in Canada!
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

Why? You also heard more comments about the cricket the previous time that a key cricket match was last shown live and in full on terrestrial TV - in 2005. Instead of rebuilding the sport on an Ashes triumph, coverage was promptly handed over to Sky and the opportunity was lost. Ever since, and until 2019, we have been reliant on short highlights at best. The question is whether the cricket authorities will have learnt the lesson that live exposure to a mass audience generates interest in a sport.

More recently the numpties running golf in this country have taken the Sky shilling and in the process have seen golf wiped almost entirely off terrestrial TV, with predictable consequences.
  • Options

Looking across the pond, the Democratic nominee candidates who are 1st and 2nd in the polls continue to have odds of 5.5 and 12.5 respectively to win the nomination. The media seem to prefer a Warren, Harris or Buttigieg nomination to Biden or Sanders, but can that really account for such a disparity?

The 1.2 on Trump not being impeached in his first term seems generous too

Harris at 2-1 is the funniest price all year.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    After a difficult start I felt Boris ran a decent campaign, which has been borne out by his winning margin. Speech was up and down but he is always engaging and you can see how he reaches people other politicians don't reach.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited July 2019
    Why do they keep interviewing Stanley Johnson? He sounds like the bonkers relative they've kept hidden in the attic in Downton Abbey
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Boris' win now lead story on ABC news USA, not often the US takes such notice of a new UK PM

https://abcnews.go.com

Boris also leads on ABC Australia and CNN

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/?pfmredir=sm

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/boris-johnson-jeremy-hunt-tuesday-dle-gbr-intl/index.

He is also in the headlines on Fox and TF1 in France
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,053
    As expected, Rory Stewart's out.
    https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1153640542812721154

I wonder what message he's trying to send with the piccie? ;)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

OnboardG1 said:

eek said:

notme2 said:

eek said:

Tabman said:

There seems to be a growing campaign against 5G because of supposed health risks. No idea whether there is anything to worry about, or not.
    There isn't, it's bollocks. We've been using millimeter wave bands for seven decades in radar and there's not been any unusual increase in health effects in people who worked with those frequencies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris' win now lead story on ABC news USA, not often the US takes such notice of a new UK PM

Brexit has got the UK lots of coverage across the world. We are the global laughing stock.
  • Options

Why? You also heard more comments about the cricket the previous time that a key cricket match was last shown live and in full on terrestrial TV - in 2005. Instead of rebuilding the sport on an Ashes triumph, coverage was promptly handed over to Sky and the opportunity was lost. Ever since, and until 2019, we have been reliant on short highlights at best. The question is whether the cricket authorities will have learnt the lesson that live exposure to a mass audience generates interest in a sport.

More recently the numpties running golf in this country have taken the Sky shilling and in the process have seen golf wiped almost entirely off terrestrial TV, with predictable consequences.
    Contrast with the Tour de France. Interest growing year on year, although British near the top helps.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Brexit has got the UK lots of coverage across the world. We are the global laughing stock.
    No, we are now punching above our weight again, probably for the first time since Thatcher and Blair.

In a world of Trump, Bolsonaro, Modi and Salvini he is not that different either
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

On the contrary, he's going to be a vast improvement on Theresa May, whose only competition but for the grace of god would have been Lord Halifax in 1940.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Definitely not compared to France. The terrorist attacks and yellow vests plus the hapless adventures of Macron put them a rung below us. Whenever I travel in the States people don't understand why we don't get Brexit done.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

No, we are now punching above our weight again, probably for the first time since Thatcher and Blair
    Anyone with sense and judgment would wait a while before making calls like that. I presume you just do it for effect.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,725

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Very clever, DUDE !
    Here it is:

Strip out the votes of the 40,000 entryists and it would have been a close result..
    Maybe fewer entryists than supposed. It could just be hype.

• Options
    It's the best Tour in years.
    Leader with a weak team around him, Ineos not in tip top form, best looking current rider with some time still to make up, Alps still to come.
  • Options
    Brom said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Definitely not compared to France. The terrorist attacks and yellow vests plus the hapless adventures of Macron put them a rung below us. Whenever I travel in the States people don't understand why we don't get Brexit done.
    Americans in not understanding something shock. More on P94.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/boris-johnson-jeremy-hunt-tuesday-dle-gbr-intl/index.

Is that unusual? I'm sure a change of leader in a major country would lead the news here, in the absence of a significant other story.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,053

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

On the contrary, he's going to be a vast improvement on Theresa May, whose only competition but for the grace of god would have been Lord Halifax in 1940.
    Can you actually remember Boris' time as mayor? I mean, jut look at the Garden Bridge, and the way he absolutely refused to even take part in the inquiry when it went on.

That's the sort of PM he'll be, sadly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,725
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

No, we are now punching above our weight again, probably for the first time since Thatcher and Blair.

In a world of Trump, Bolsonaro, Modi and Salvini he is not that different either
    "punching above our weight" really means "out of his depth" fighting heavier opponents.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Id rather he not be their equivalents.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,895
    JackW said:

She's good at her job and she's about to be fired because of politics.... :(
  • Options
    Kuennsberg. Big jobs to No Dealers. Otherwise balanced Cabinet.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Brom said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Americans in not understanding something shock. More on P94.
    Tbf I doubt you would understand how the house of representatives work. People only take a minor interest in other countries workings outside of the real geeks.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

No, we are now punching above our weight again, probably for the first time since Thatcher and Blair
    Anyone with sense and judgment would wait a while before making calls like that. I presume you just do it for effect.
    Make a bold call early and you get kudos for being right, and people will forget wrong calls.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,211
    A (perhaps ex) Unionist speaks at the dawn of BJ world.

'The growing case for Scottish independence won’t be stopped through appeals to patriotism'

https://tinyurl.com/y5bxdgcw

I particularly liked

'For me, it is hard, today, to love one’s country. I do not feel very much like a patriot; I have never felt less like a patriot. I more often feel the unsought and unwelcome twitch of contempt, or the acid flash of rage. The good guys keep losing and the bad guys keep winning. Those who most extravagantly display the peacock feathers of their patriotism do so in ways that tarnish the very concept, whether turning their blazered backs in the European parliament, or waving a plasticated kipper around a stage, or sneering at the Irish, or offering up their pale, plump backsides as a smirking Donald Trump loosens his belt, or threatening to temporarily abolish parliament in pursuit of their otherwise unachievable goal. I am left thinking, what is this Britain? What have these people to do with me? Why must I be subject to their games and ambitions?'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Are you saying that Italy is currently punching above its weight because of Salvini?
  • Options

Add F1 to that list too, only the British GP now free to air. It’s hurting sponsorship rates for the teams as sponsors need large numbers of TV eyeballs. Only 1m or so now watch each race live on Sky, as opposed to 4-6m when it was on terrestrial TV.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Make a bold call early and you get kudos for being right, and people will forget wrong calls.
    Nevertheless it is palpable nonsense that we are already punching above our weight.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Can you actually remember Boris' time as mayor? I mean, jut look at the Garden Bridge, and the way he absolutely refused to even take part in the inquiry when it went on.

That's the sort of PM he'll be, sadly.
    He was widely regarded as a good Mayor. Certainly with the Olympics. A Tory won't be re-elected Mayor again in my lifetime - it was an incredible achievement given how intolerant London usually is of anyone who isn't left of centre. I'm rather sceptical of his qualities as a PM though.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    dixiedean said:

Kuennsberg. Big jobs to No Dealers. Otherwise balanced Cabinet.

Theresa May tried that and look where it got her.
  • Options

As expected, Rory Stewart's out.
    https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1153640542812721154

I wonder what message he's trying to send with the piccie? ;)

That he's lost his voice, and is now a little hoarse?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Are you saying that Italy is currently punching above its weight because of Salvini?
    It actually has a technocrat at the moment but Salvini as Deputy PM is a driving force behind the Government, though I preferred Berlusconi personally with whom Boris shares many traits
  • Options

A (perhaps ex) Unionist speaks at the dawn of BJ world.

The closing paragraphs suggest he's fairly ex- now.

'As a Scot today you don’t have to be a fan of the SNP or its performance in devolved government, or even the kind of person who thrills to the symbols and songs of nationhood, to feel the tug of something different, something potentially better than this abject shitshow. To want a say, a voice, some shared sense of national integrity.

'Perhaps, as Gordon Brown says, patriotism can save the UK. But perhaps, more likely, patriotism is only hastening its demise.'
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Is that unusual? I'm sure a change of leader in a major country would lead the news here, in the absence of a significant other story.
    Depends how big the country and unusual for the US for it to be lead story certainly
This discussion has been closed.