Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for Boris’s big day to see CON resignations and the

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,361

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

What strikes me, listening to the phone ins, is the sheer range of issues people want sorted.
    Brexit really has sucked the life out of everything for 3 years plus.

I honestly believed that I would never see a worse PM than Gordon Brown. But I have. The last 3 years have been a terrible mistake. Things can only get better, I think the song goes.
    ya think ? :smiley:
    Yes. May had appalling judgment, complete intransigence, was a very, very poor selector of advisors, promoted mediocrity, god she was awful. Boris will make mistakes but he will try to do things.
    Something must be done, this is something, we must do that. I think I'd prefer inertia.
    Nope. We have had 3 years of inertia. It didn't work.
    I think Boris Johnson’s most viable strategy is inertia.
    Inertia? No. Inanition, yes :)
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,238

Being PM, especially in the current situation, is a very different kettle of fish, and he's already blown it.

LOL. Closed mind, much?

The guy has not stepped foot in Downing Street as PM, has made no pronouncements, has made no appointments. Yet you have rushed to judgment. As you rushed to judgment on here about Cameron's "renegotiation" with the EU, telling us what a fabulous effort it was.....
    As he rushed to judgement that there was no possible benefits from Brexit.
    There haven’t been any yet. The nation is in a state of atrophy.
    "The whole worl’s in a terrible state o’ chassis".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,100
    DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

What strikes me, listening to the phone ins, is the sheer range of issues people want sorted.

I honestly believed that I would never see a worse PM than Gordon Brown. But I have. The last 3 years have been a terrible mistake. Things can only get better, I think the song goes.
    Yes. May had appalling judgment, complete intransigence, was a very, very poor selector of advisors, promoted mediocrity, god she was awful. Boris will make mistakes but he will try to do things.
    Something must be done, this is something, we must do that. I think I'd prefer inertia.
    Can you not think of plausible ways in which the last three years could have been much worse?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    IanB2 said:

Boris was a good Mayor, it was a role which suited him perfectly. It's not true that Ken Livingstone was an easy opponent - he was surprisingly popular, and to be fair hadn't been too bad a mayor himself (he went bonkers afterwards, not while he was in office). Yes, you can point to failures by Boris - the Garden Bridge was an attractive idea but should have been canned early, on financial grounds - but he was pretty good on the police, on representing London, on attracting investment, on Boris Bikes, on TfL, and on the Olympics. Of course most of these weren't purely or even mainly down to Boris, but that's inevitable. Above all Boris left the hard work to a good team, and acted as the front-man, which is entirely appropriate for a role like Mayor.

Being PM, especially in the current situation, is a very different kettle of fish, and he's already blown it.

"the Garden Bridge was an attractive idea "

What makes you say that? It did not serve a purpose. It was not a proper transport link, and it was in the wrong place.

It was something Boris did for his mates, and the whole scheme was borderline fraudulent from the off. Everyone involved should pay back the millions that were spent.

It is the major factor that makes it impossible for me to support him as PM, or the party he leads. And as a Conservative, what should worry you more is that he could not even be arsed to accept responsibility.
    I can’t think of any of Boris’s schemes that came in on budget or met up to his promises. Even the relatively successful bike scheme had to be bailed out by EU funding and runs at a loss, whereas Paris’s makes a profit. The West Ham/Olympic stadium episode was a financial disaster. The cable car was all cost and no benefit. The water cannons were useless and sold for scrap. The millions spent on the Island Airport were obviously being wasted from the outset. Etc.

Don’t forget the huge sums spent on the useless new routemasters.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    IanB2 said:

Boris was a good Mayor, it was a role which suited him perfectly. It's not true that Ken Livingstone was an easy opponent - he was surprisingly popular, and to be fair hadn't been too bad a mayor himself (he went bonkers afterwards, not while he was in office). Yes, you can point to failures by Boris - the Garden Bridge was an attractive idea but should have been canned early, on financial grounds - but he was pretty good on the police, on representing London, on attracting investment, on Boris Bikes, on TfL, and on the Olympics. Of course most of these weren't purely or even mainly down to Boris, but that's inevitable. Above all Boris left the hard work to a good team, and acted as the front-man, which is entirely appropriate for a role like Mayor.

What makes you say that? It did not serve a purpose. It was not a proper transport link, and it was in the wrong place.

It was something Boris did for his mates, and the whole scheme was borderline fraudulent from the off. Everyone involved should pay back the millions that were spent.

It is the major factor that makes it impossible for me to support him as PM, or the party he leads. And as a Conservative, what should worry you more is that he could not even be arsed to accept responsibility.
    I can’t think of any of Boris’s schemes that came in on budget or met up to his promises. Even the relatively successful bike scheme had to be bailed out by EU funding and runs at a loss, whereas Paris’s makes a profit. The West Ham/Olympic stadium episode was a financial disaster. The cable car was all cost and no benefit. The water cannons were useless and sold for scrap. The millions spent on the Island Airport were obviously being wasted from the outset. Etc.
    I will defend him over Boris Island. There is an obvious (though arguable) need for more airport capacity in the southeast, and Heathrow isn't ideally placed to fulfil it - especially if the trends continue long-term. The concept has been around for decades (e.g. the Maplin Sands airport), and it is sensible for alternatives to be looked at before a decision is made on how the demand will be met. And that costs money. Was the money 'wasted'? In a way: but the risks of not doing it is to build the wrong project in the wrong place.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

This doesn't look good for the Ashes...

England fast bowler James Anderson has been ruled out of his side's Ashes warm-up Test against Ireland at Lord's. Fast bowlers Mark Wood and Jofra Archer have side strains and were not named in the squad for the Ireland game, which starts on Wednesday.

Wood is unlikely to be fit before the fourth Ashes Test, which starts on 4 September, while England hope Archer could be available for the second Test, starting on 14 August.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49082928

Broad, Woakes and Curran medium fast deliveries aren't exactly going to worry the convicts.

Christ, there's more cricket? Haven't we had enough?
    What surprised me about this summer of sport is hearing more comments on the cricket than the Open golf.
    Why ? Cricket is better than all other sports including golf. The Open was a boring tournament this year.

One-day cricket = boring
    Test cricket = extremely boring. Ennui.
    Travelling by Pacer on a northern branch line, calling at all stations = exciting?
    Given the bumpiness of the ride, certainly :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Indeed, faffing about pretty much guarantees Brexit happening, albeit as headless chicken Brexit.
  • Options
    lots of comments on this thread, I presume someone's already posted the numbers but in case not and that's what Mike is waiting for; I got-

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

t/o a genuinely large 87.4pc
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    edited July 2019

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Can you not think of plausible ways in which the last three years could have been much worse?
    We've had decent equity growth, low interest rates, low unemployment, low inflation and a moderate (For both sides) housing market the last 3 years.
    Drop in sterling probably the only real issue to be honest.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

I don't. I think that we will see a lot of eye catching policies which will cost a lot of public money but be a rather better backdrop to the inevitable election than a dementia tax. An election is coming soon. Clear the barnacles and man the guns.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

IanB2 said:

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019

It would have served a very good purpose, a pleasant pedestrian link between the South Bank and the tourist/theatre areas on the north bank. There's an excessively large gap between bridges there, and the two bridges on either side are quite unpleasant for pedestrians. It would have been even more useful than the Millennium Bridge, which equally 'isn't a proper transport link'.

The only thing wrong with it was that the design was too damned expensive. It would be great if it could be revived as a cheaper, simpler pedestrian bridge.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Pulpstar said:

I’m sitting on the steps of the Hotel de Ville in divine Château-Gontier, in 39°C heat, while gorgeous tanned French belles saunter past, about to find a bar that will sell me a cold beer (or better still, a Norman cider). Have I missed anything?

(Sorry. In SeanT’s absence I thought a comment in his style would be fitting. It is true though.)

I holidayed near Domfront last year, lovely part of the world, perhaps a refreshing glass of Poiree would be best ?
    It’s ridiculously scenic (I was in Domfront last night). In hindsight this was not the best week to plan a 70-miles-a-day cycling holiday, but the Mayenne - along which I’ve been riding today - is ravishing in the sunshine.
  • Options

lots of comments on this thread, I presume someone's already posted the numbers but in case not and that's what Mike is waiting for; I got-

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

Are we counting the 509 spoilt ballots?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Has Boris cocked it up yet?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

We've had low interest rates, low unemployment, low inflation and a moderate (For both sides) housing market the last 3 years.
    A well made point - don't forget the Bored of Brexiters who are much more like the hoi poloi than your average PBer
  • Options

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Plausible? I mean we haven't had a major asteroid strike or anything but plausible? I suppose Corbyn could actually have won in 2017 but that was never really plausible. I'm struggling.
  • Options

It would have served a very good purpose, a pleasant pedestrian link between the South Bank and the tourist/theatre areas on the north bank. There's an excessively large gap between bridges there, and the two bridges on either side are quite unpleasant for pedestrians. It would have been even more useful than the Millennium Bridge, which equally 'isn't a proper transport link'.

The only thing wrong with it was that the design was too damned expensive. It would be great if it could be revived as a cheaper, simpler pedestrian bridge.
    A much more useful project that Boris cancelled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Gateway_Bridge
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

In a world of Trump, Bolsonaro, Modi and Salvini he is not that different either

So we should really have made Mosley PM in 1940?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

IanB2 said:

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
    As Mrs Thatcher once said.
  • Options

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

(gets out calculator) Yes, they're included in the t/o figure
  • Options
    edited July 2019

LOL. Closed mind, much?

The guy has not stepped foot in Downing Street as PM, has made no pronouncements, has made no appointments. Yet you have rushed to judgment. As you rushed to judgment on here about Cameron's "renegotiation" with the EU, telling us what a fabulous effort it was.....
    Has made no pronouncements? Are you mad? He has made an absolutely brain-dead pronouncement as the centrepiece of his pitch, and has repeated it endlessly. To make things even worse, it's an almost exactly the same catastrophic error as Theresa May made, but at least she had the excuse that when she first made it March 29th looked doable. He has learnt nothing from her mistakes, which is surely going it a bit.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I’m sitting on the steps of the Hotel de Ville in divine Château-Gontier, in 39°C heat, while gorgeous tanned French belles saunter past, about to find a bar that will sell me a cold beer (or better still, a Norman cider). Have I missed anything?

(Sorry. In SeanT’s absence I thought a comment in his style would be fitting. It is true though.)

I holidayed near Domfront last year, lovely part of the world, perhaps a refreshing glass of Poiree would be best ?
    It’s ridiculously scenic (I was in Domfront last night). In hindsight this was not the best week to plan a 70-miles-a-day cycling holiday, but the Mayenne - along which I’ve been riding today - is ravishing in the sunshine.
    We noted plenty of cyclists coming through Domfront, part of a long route I think - the green road iirc ?

Speaking of exercise in the mad heat, here's tonight's run for me https://www.plotaroute.com/route/396661 !
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Has Boris cocked it up yet?

Well his speech was alright - me and Ms Brisk both agree on this - so, No
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    IanB2 said:

The segregated Cycle Superhighways are excellent, thanks to Johnson’s clever hire of Andrew Gilligan as cycling commissioner. Rory Stewart’s wild horses wouldn’t drag me to vote for Johnson, but he remains the only prominent politician to have achieved high quality Dutch-style cycle infrastructure.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Plausible? I mean we haven't had a major asteroid strike or anything but plausible? I suppose Corbyn could actually have won in 2017 but that was never really plausible. I'm struggling.
    Well suppose Andrea Leadsom had won the leadership (with the help of a Leave EU social media campaign against Theresa May), invoked Article 50 in 2016 and left with no deal in 2018.
  • Options

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

But the Hunt/Boris percentages will be slightly less than 100%, no?
  • Options

I will defend him over Boris Island. There is an obvious (though arguable) need for more airport capacity in the southeast, and Heathrow isn't ideally placed to fulfil it - especially if the trends continue long-term. The concept has been around for decades (e.g. the Maplin Sands airport), and it is sensible for alternatives to be looked at before a decision is made on how the demand will be met. And that costs money. Was the money 'wasted'? In a way: but the risks of not doing it is to build the wrong project in the wrong place.

Yes, it was worth studying, and to be fair the concept they came up with was quite innovative.
  • Options

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

Well that's not how I do the percentages, I can certainly do them that way if you insist?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

We've had decent equity growth, low interest rates, low unemployment, low inflation and a moderate (For both sides) housing market the last 3 years.
    Low interest rates, low inflation and low property inflation are symptoms that have been "enjoyed" by most of the western world and are still a consequence of the aftermath of the GFC.

Low unemployment is a British success story but it has been accompanied with really bad productivity figures, poor investment, a continuing trade deficit and until recently a fall in real earnings which are still not quite back to their 2008 peak.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

So 159402 ballots (note some got more than 1, but only allowed 1)

The Lib Dems had 106075 electors, so the smaller party still.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1153639652412329984
    Now for some spelling lessons, Ivanka !

United Kingston is a breakaway pro-EU, LibDem-administered republic with land on both sides of the River Thames, hence the name "united" :)
    I think the full name is "United Kingston of Great Surbiton and Northern Norbiton," isn't it?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

IanB2 said:

Boris was a good Mayor, it was a role which suited him perfectly. It's not true that Ken Livingstone was an easy opponent - he was surprisingly popular, and to be fair hadn't been too bad a mayor himself (he went bonkers afterwards, not while he was in office). Yes,

Thinking of a new airport in the middle of nowhere out on marshland surrounded by zillions of migrating birds, with no local workforce, no suitable transport links, and when the demand for air travel comes predominantly from the west side of London was idiocy. And he could never answer the question of what would happen to Heathrow, alternatively suggesting closure (devastating the economy of three Boroughs) or that it be some sort of unspecified regional airport.

Plus, as someone else said, the world’s most expensive buses promised to Londoners as hop-on platform buses, where the rear door is nowadays never opened between stops. In this week’s weather they will be mobile saunas without a single opening window.
  • Options

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

Well that's not how I do the percentages, I can certainly do them that way if you insist?
    Wikipedia says 66.1% + 33.5% plus 0.4% spoilt. But you know, I'm not actually sure the spoilt count as "proper votes".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

So 158820 ballots (note some got more than 1, but only allowed 1)

The eligible electors were 106K, but in fact Lib Dem membership is already over 120K and climbing rapidly
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

159320 was the electorate - there were 509 spoiled ballots

Do you want Boris/Hunt figures to include the spoiled ballots and add up to less than 100
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    Afternoon PB/

Are the resignation letters still flying all over the place? :D
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Well suppose Andrea Leadsom had won the leadership (with the help of a Leave EU social media campaign against Theresa May), invoked Article 50 in 2016 and left with no deal in 2018.
    That would have been better. We would long since have been over any initial disruption. Instead we have the paralysis of never ending uncertainty. Political incompetence is not free, it has a price and we are paying it.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

Apologies for no new thread. Both ISE and I are on holiday this week I and I am in deepest Northumberland without a mobile signal.
  • Options
    MarxMarx Posts: 28
    Cicero said:

Marx said:

Wonder what the internal party polling is like. With all the anti-Corbyn comments from both Johnson and Swinson, I'm beginning to suspect that it's a lot stronger for Corbyn‘s Labour than they, and some in the PLP, would like.

Judging by Labour over the 24 hours, their internal polling is showing them that they should be very worried about Jo Swinson, much less worried about Boris Johnson.

We see Labour are in serious trouble in London and in some critical areas in the Midlands and the North of England. No recovery in Scotland, but still leading in much of the North. The Tories are in trouble in Scotland and being squeezed in the South West.
    The LibDems are on a bounce after the Cable doldrums, but the Labour Party are already campaigning on her record as a minister in the coalition, and it really wasn't pretty. One of the ad's I've seen is of her picture on a front cover of a newspaper supporting the putting up a statue of Thatcher. The comment underneath states that there are plenty of memorials around the UK already, they're called Food Banks. Expect to see plenty more.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

159320 was the electorate - there were 509 spoiled ballots

Do you want Boris/Hunt figures to include the spoiled ballots and add up to less than 100
    Sorry, just edited to include spoilt ballots.

If there are 40 000 "entryists" then the party sizes were not disimilar.
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, no worries :)
  • Options

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

Wikipedia says 66.1% + 33.5% plus 0.4% spoilt. But you know, I'm not actually sure the spoilt count as "proper votes".
    Who's right - Brisky or Wiki - You decide!
  • Options

But it wasn't going to serve that purpose, and the purpose was deliberately restricted. You couldn't even cycle over the thing: and Boris was a mayor who was supposed to be pro-cycling. It was, as is sadly the case with too much architecture nowadays, a pre-existing design plonked down where the architect felt he could con people to put it.

If there was a need for a bridge there, then there should have been a proper process in place to see if the need was really there, and what should be done to meet that need.

Worst of all, (from memory) its running costs would have been millions every year.

"an excessively large gap between bridges there"

I suggest you talk to east Londoners about that, and their wait for proper cross-river links. There are seven walkable bridges in two miles, as well as the other cross-river transport links.

And AIUI the Millennium Bridge is an example of where it was done correctly (for the time): the need was determined, and a proper competition held for a design. It came in over budget, but only £2.2 million above the £16 million. Not counting for inflation, you could have had two or three Millennium Bridges for the money that was spent on the Garden Bridge.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

That would have been better. We would long since have been over any initial disruption. Instead we have the paralysis of never ending uncertainty. Political incompetence is not free, it has a price and we are paying it.
    In the 'No Deal under Andrea Leadsom' counter-factual there would now be no uncertainty? So what would our relationship with the EU and constitutional status of the UK be?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Chris said:

United Kingston is a breakaway pro-EU, LibDem-administered republic with land on both sides of the River Thames, hence the name "united" :)
    I think the full name is "United Kingston of Great Surbiton and Northern Norbiton," isn't it?
    I will accept that.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Foxy said:

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

The eligible electors were 106K, but in fact Lib Dem membership is already over 120K and climbing rapidly
    Good point, I forgot newbie members too.

• Options

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

Apologies for no new thread. Both ISE and I are on holiday this week I and I am in deepest Northumberland without a mobile signal.
    Not a prob Mike - we all love your website :)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Boris was a good Mayor, it was a role which suited him perfectly. It's not true that Ken Livingstone was an easy opponent - he was surprisingly popular, and to be fair hadn't been too bad a mayor himself (he went bonkers afterwards, not while he was in office). Yes,

outset. Etc.
    Thinking of a new airport in the middle of nowhere out on marshland surrounded by zillions of migrating birds, with no local workforce, no suitable transport links, and when the demand for air travel comes predominantly from the west side of London was idiocy. And he could never answer the question of what would happen to Heathrow, alternatively suggesting closure (devastating the economy of three Boroughs) or that it be some sort of unspecified regional airport.

Plus, as someone else said, the world’s most expensive buses promised to Londoners as hop-on platform buses, where the rear door is nowadays never opened between stops. In this week’s weather they will be mobile saunas without a single opening window.
    There are opening windows, just a little small. The rear door if left open during motion will be a little dangerous, methinks.

Having three doors makes a difference at busy times. Surprised that even in Brum and Coventry, the buses only have ONE door for entry/exit!
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Marx said:

Cicero said:

Marx said:

Wonder what the internal party polling is like. With all the anti-Corbyn comments from both Johnson and Swinson, I'm beginning to suspect that it's a lot stronger for Corbyn‘s Labour than they, and some in the PLP, would like.

Judging by Labour over the 24 hours, their internal polling is showing them that they should be very worried about Jo Swinson, much less worried about Boris Johnson.

We see Labour are in serious trouble in London and in some critical areas in the Midlands and the North of England. No recovery in Scotland, but still leading in much of the North. The Tories are in trouble in Scotland and being squeezed in the South West.
    The LibDems are on a bounce after the Cable doldrums, but the Labour Party are already campaigning on her record as a minister in the coalition, and it really wasn't pretty. One of the ad's I've seen is of her picture on a front cover of a newspaper supporting the putting up a statue of Thatcher. The comment underneath states that there are plenty of memorials around the UK already, they're called Food Banks. Expect to see plenty more.
    Anyone would think the Labour Party was worried.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Boris 92153 (66.4pc)
    Hunt 46656 (33.6pc)

Apologies for no new thread. Both TSE and I are on holiday this week I and I am in deepest Northumberland without a mobile signal.
    Have a nice time up there!
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Danny565 said:

Boris surging on the YouGov live poll.... now just less than half of the public are "dismayed" about him winning:

1. Boris Johnson has been announced as the new leader of the Conservative party. Which of the following best reflects your reaction to Boris Johnson becoming leader?
    Delighted 13%
    Pleased 16%
    Disappointed 8%
    Dismayed 48%
    Don't really mind either way 10%
    Don't know 5%

I make it 56% unhappy , 29% happy.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

(Snip)

It's not idiocy. There is no 'good' solution to the problem: even Heathrow expansion has a whole host of issues. And the proposal for a Thames Estuary airport has been looked at many times over the decades precisely because the other options are also problematic.

HK and Japan have both done it, for similar reasons.

LHR3 is probably the best decision in the short-term (as long as they get diggers in soon). But it is perfectly correct that other options are looked at - and discarded - early on. And that costs money.
  • Options
    Marx said:

Cicero said:

Marx said:

Not that I am a fan of Maggie, but foodbanks are surely a more recent phenomenon.

I have no problem with Maggie having a statue, after all we do have ones of a number of controversial figures including Oliver Cromwell and Robert Clive in Westminster.
  • Options

But it wasn't going to serve that purpose, and the purpose was deliberately restricted. You couldn't even cycle over the thing: and Boris was a mayor who was supposed to be pro-cycling. It was, as is sadly the case with too much architecture nowadays, a pre-existing design plonked down where the architect felt he could con people to put it.

If there was a need for a bridge there, then there should have been a proper process in place to see if the need was really there, and what should be done to meet that need.

Worst of all, (from memory) its running costs would have been millions every year.

I suggest you talk to east Londoners about that, and their wait for proper cross-river links. There are seven walkable bridges in two miles, as well as the other cross-river transport links.

And AIUI the Millennium Bridge is an example of where it was done correctly (for the time): the need was determined, and a proper competition held for a design. It came in over budget, but only £2.2 million above the £16 million. Not counting for inflation, you could have had two or three Millennium Bridges for the money that was spent on the Garden Bridge.

I should jolly well hope that you couldn't cycle over it. It shows they've learnt from the Millennium Bridge, where the rules are frequently broken.

I'm not sure how the need for further bridges down-river is relevant to what I said. I agree that it was going to be too expensive, and indeed I cited it as one of his failures. That doesn't alter the fact that it was an attractive concept and that it would have served a very useful purpose.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Chris said:

Hampton Wick is on the north bank, Norbiton is on the south bank :)
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, food banks started under Blair and have continually risen ever since. They can't be used to condemn any particular policy because their use rose during Brown's spending period, during recession, during recovery.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Marx said:

Cicero said:

Marx said:

It’s easy to counter that by asking what the Labour Party have achieved in terms of their supposed target groups in need of help since there was last a labour government? With corbyn they have achieved nothing in government and now see success as losing a GE by less than was thought.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Dr. Foxy, food banks started under Blair and have continually risen ever since. They can't be used to condemn any particular policy because their use rose during Brown's spending period, during recession, during recovery.

Corbynites don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The next Conservative leader market is up. No money traded yet.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

(Snip)

It's not idiocy. There is no 'good' solution to the problem: even Heathrow expansion has a whole host of issues. And the proposal for a Thames Estuary airport has been looked at many times over the decades precisely because the other options are also problematic.

LHR3 is probably the best decision in the short-term (as long as they get diggers in soon). But it is perfectly correct that other options are looked at - and discarded - early on. And that costs money.
    Which will happen first - HS2, Brexit, Heathrow 3 or a lunar human SLS mission... ?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Scott_P said:
    I like that quote, but it doesn't apply here. Johnson is unprincipled, dishonest and feckless. But he isn't an idiot.
  • Options

I should jolly well hope that you couldn't cycle over it. It shows they've learnt from the Millennium Bridge, where the rules are frequently broken.

I'm not sure how the need for further bridges down-river is relevant to what I said. I agree that it was going to be too expensive, and indeed I cited it as one of his failures. That doesn't alter the fact that it was an attractive concept and that it would have served a very useful purpose.
    We are supposed to be pro-cycling (I don't cycle a lot any more, and I am not a pro-cycling lobbyist). But the idea of creating a bridge in that area and forcing cyclists over the adjacent road bridges is crass.

I think your last paragraph shows your problem. The concept might be attractive: the location for that concept was not. It was the wrong thing in the wrong place.

"I'm not sure how the need for further bridges down-river is relevant to what I said. "

Because vast amounts of London taxpayers' money was spent, it makes sense to ask: "Where's the place I can build a bridge that gets me the most bang for the buck?"

This simple question was not asked.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, are you sure?

He did a very good impression of an idiot when he was Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

NEW THREAD

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019

The right of rise of food bank use since 2014 is significantly higher than ever before.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

(Snip)

I disagree. Heathrow's issue is primarily noise pollution. Apart from that it has every advantage over Boris Island in terms of closeness to destination, infrastructure, cost.

If you can isolate the problem, it's usually best to put your focus there.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

(Snip)

Which will happen first - HS2, Brexit, Heathrow 3 or a lunar human SLS mission... ?
    Define 'lunar human SLS mission'. ;)
    IMV the answer is:
    Brexit
    A round-Moon SLS mission (without landing)
    HS2
    An SLS- and Gateway- based Moon landing
    LHR3

All are subject to politics, however. Sidney Camm's is reputed to have said: "an aircraft has four dimensions - length, width, height and politics." The same is true for engineering: politics is massively important for the success of a project.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

(Snip)

I disagree. Heathrow's issue is primarily noise pollution. Apart from that it has every advantage over Boris Island in terms of closeness to destination, infrastructure, cost.

In the short term, yes. But not if you think air usage will continue for another five decades. Then Heathrow's stuffed, even with R3 and a putative R4.

Besides, what we're talking about is whether it's right to study the options; and IMV it was perfectly sane to include BI in that study.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

outset. Etc.

There are opening windows, just a little small. The rear door if left open during motion will be a little dangerous, methinks.

Having three doors makes a difference at busy times. Surprised that even in Brum and Coventry, the buses only have ONE door for entry/exit!
    It was Londoners’ mourning the loss of the open platform (very useful between stops) that got Boris the support for the project in the first place.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    I like that quote, but it doesn't apply here. Johnson is unprincipled, dishonest and feckless. But he isn't an idiot.
    It was a lousy acceptance speech- mostly just waffle, with only one definite commitment- the highly problematic "out by Halloween". It was empty and vague. The contrast with the passionate and detailed speech from Swinson was telling.

He give loads of evidence that he will be as bad a PM as he was a foreign secretary, and his term there was borderline catastrophic.

Bullshit is not a strategy and the anti-Maybot will be even worse than she was.

• Options

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

(Snip)

In the short term, yes. But not if you think air usage will continue for another five decades. Then Heathrow's stuffed, even with R3 and a putative R4.

Besides, what we're talking about is whether it's right to study the options; and IMV it was perfectly sane to include BI in that study.
    They did that already several times, including looking at expanding Luton and Standsted. An estuary airport was studied in depth. On close inspection it wasn't a good solution. Mainly because it lacks road and rail links to central London and fails to serve London's vast hinterland entirely, which is spread out to the north and west of the city. You would then have to cross London to get to it.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

IanB2 said:

Nope.
    Boris Island was doubly in the wrong place. It was the wrong side of London for almost anyone other than East Anglians and North Sea fish, for a start.
    But worse than that, it was due east of London when the prevailing winds are westerly, or occasionally easterly (one reason that Heathrow is in the wrong place as well, but sustained there by historical accident): either climbing out or landing, swathes of airliners would have to fly at low level over one of the world's metropolises.

Situated on the East is worse than the West, as the prevailing westerlies mean that the low level would be climbing out - the point at which engines are at their most taxed and failures are most common. It's already a miracle we haven't had an airliner crash into London climbing out of Heathrow; it'd be considerably more likely at Boris Island.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Sounds very pleasant
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

IanB2 said:

Nope.
    Boris Island was doubly in the wrong place. It was the wrong side of London for almost anyone other than East Anglians and North Sea fish, for a start.
    But worse than that, it was due east of London when the prevailing winds are westerly, or occasionally easterly (one reason that Heathrow is in the wrong place as well, but sustained there by historical accident): either climbing out or landing, swathes of airliners would have to fly at low level over one of the world's metropolises.

Situated on the East is worse than the West, as the prevailing westerlies mean that the low level would be climbing out - the point at which engines are at their most taxed and failures are most common. It's already a miracle we haven't had an airliner crash into London climbing out of Heathrow; it'd be considerably more likely at Boris Island.
    East Anglians and North Sea Fish? Oh to live in your West London Hammersmith bubble. The North and West of London is already served by Heathrow; a place nobody except people in Hammersmith or Reading can in anyway get to. Kent and Essex both have huge populations, some say they are nearly as big as St John's Wood or Ealing. God forbid.
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

IanB2 said:

Nope.

East Anglians and North Sea Fish? Oh to live in your West London Hammersmith bubble. The North and West of London is already served by Heathrow; a place nobody except people in Hammersmith or Reading can in anyway get to. Kent and Essex both have huge populations, some say they are nearly as big as St John's Wood or Ealing. God forbid.
    Plus it is the same prevailing wind, from W to E, if planes climbing out of Heathrow are endangering the capital then planes climbing out of Boris island would surely be endangering those North Sea fish you have it in for. You wont blow up if you go east of Aldgate believe it or not,
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Question for the PB Cybernats-

Will you stop polluting this UK based website when you get your political dream?

Or might you decide to keep posting cus, yknow it's quite good and , y'know there's not or ever going to be a Scottish version

I'm not sure the Jackie Bird lovers have thought things through.

Get stuffed you complete rear end
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

outset. Etc.

It was Londoners’ mourning the loss of the open platform (very useful between stops) that got Boris the support for the project in the first place.
    @IanB2
    I never mourned the loss of the open platform.
    The total number of incidents of deaths and injuries (both passengers and staff) on [the old] Routemasters is around 2 times that on doored buses.

https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2002/0072
This discussion has been closed.