Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for Boris’s big day to see CON resignations and the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for Boris’s big day to see CON resignations and the LDs perhaps getting another MP

This is the day that many of those elected at CON MPs have been planning for – making a gesture they hope will undermine in some way their new leader who engineered his campaign to minimise the level of scrutiny he came under.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    First as was Sir Alan Duncan
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The Cabinet will be interesting but I expect it will be dragged out so Boris does not go to the Commons this side of the recess.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Third!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Tory MPs should be wary of going for Boris too early. They risk being blamed for his failures.

There's a parallel perhaps with the Owen Smith attempt against Corbyn. For most labour party members, he'd just been elected and they wanted him to have a decent run at it [without continuous undermining from MPs].

In striking too early, and with an unconvincing candidate, they may have actually entrenched Corbyn for longer.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,618
    Happy Boris day everyone. May he surprise us on the upside.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    rkrkrk said:

Tory MPs should be wary of going for Boris too early. They risk being blamed for his failures.

There's a parallel perhaps with the Owen Smith attempt against Corbyn. For most labour party members, he'd just been elected and they wanted him to have a decent run at it [without continuous undermining from MPs].

In striking too early, and with an unconvincing candidate, they may have actually entrenched Corbyn for longer.

interesting times. assuming it is Boris. What if it isn't,...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

rkrkrk said:

If it isn't, 50,000 members will resign and join the Bexit Party at the blatant electoral fraud....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

rkrkrk said:

If it isn't, 50,000 members will resign and join the Bexit Party at the blatant electoral fraud....
    We can only hope.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099

rkrkrk said:

I'm not a fan of Boris, but it's a bit unfair to call him 'a blatant electoral fraud.'

'A third rate pseud' would do admirably,
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

rkrkrk said:

Wait till they find out how the Brexit Party "elects" its leaders...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

rkrkrk said:

That would be the 50,000 entryists who vote Brexit Party in any case?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,213
    edited July 2019
    For any Tories wanting to make an impact by resigning, tomorrow is surely the better day. Today's news and tomorrow's front pages are already taken.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

If only it were a party you could actually join.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    I am holding on to a tiny hope that between the result being announced today and Tezzie's appointment with QE2 tomorrow, someone will disclose the biggest piece of dirt possible on Bozo, meaning he has to resign as Tory Leader before he can become PM.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

rkrkrk said:

You mean their failure to swing it for Boris?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    IanB2 said:

For any Tories wanting to make an impact by resigning, tomorrow is surely the better day. Today's news and tomorrow's front pages are already taken.

Cross the floor after PMQs?
  • Options

I am holding on to a tiny hope that between the result being announced today and Tezzie's appointment with QE2 tomorrow, someone will disclose the biggest piece of dirt possible on Bozo, meaning he has to resign as Tory Leader before he can become PM.

What could possibly be worse than we already know?!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

During, mace in hand?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    If Hunt wins this it would be a huge relief. Unlikely though.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Well I for one will be delighted for the country and for my bank balance.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

rkrkrk said:

The Brexit party is a busted flush. Zero MPs and heading for a further flop next week in Brecon
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

During, mace in hand?
    Spraying mace at Boris might be considered unparliamentary conduct .... even by the Gaukeward Squad.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,792
    edited July 2019
    Good morning PB - Everyone looking forward to Toys Out The Pram Tuesday? :D
  • Options
    JackW said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

During, mace in hand?
    Spraying mace at Boris might be considered unparliamentary conduct .... even by the Gaukeward Squad.
    Maybe Amber Rudd kept a supply in her handbag given Boris is NSIT.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

The Brexit party is a busted flush. Zero MPs and heading for a further flop next week in Brecon
    Which side of 15% Mike ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,792
    Has Nabavi sent his resignation letter in yet?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Good morning PB - Everyone looking forward to Toys Out The Pram Tuesday? :D

Which of the five or six prams Boris has filled are we talking about here?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

No, we need it to keep going for reasons that don't need spelling out
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

TBP will reduce the number of seats Boris wins any near future election - even 10% of the vote will destroy any chance of a Boris Majority...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040

If it transpired beyond doubt he was Jack the Ripper he still wouldn't resign. No one would expect him to either, Boris will be Boris.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. eek, aye. And the plank has moved so far in their direction he'll find it hard to make up the difference elsewhere.

Best hope for Boris (assuming he wins today) is that Corbyn puts off sufficient voters that the blues are less hammered than the reds.
  • Options

If it transpired beyond doubt he was Jack the Ripper he still wouldn't resign.
    Surely Boris wouldn't kill women? He'd be too busy inflicting a fate worse than death on them.
  • Options

Best hope for Boris (assuming he wins today) is that Corbyn puts off sufficient voters that the blues are less hammered than the reds.

In a forced choice between BoJo and the Jezaster, I would go for BoJo. Corbyn has all of Boris' faults, in somewhat greater measure, and is also rather less intelligent. Meanwhile, neither of them will put forward anything vaguely representing a programme for government so voting on their manifestoes would be pointless.

However, if I were giving a third option of being brutally tortured to death, I'd tell him to start heating the irons.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

ah yes that successful fk off and join ukip strategy

what do you plan to use for voters afterwards ?
  • Options
    Comedian John Oliver discussing Boris for an American audience. Not a fan. (From 2’20”)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c43FUVShDIo
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Ladbrokes and me are at one - 72/28 is what I expect.

But if I had to buy or sell at 72 I would be buying. I think there is more chance that we get shocked by something up in the 80s than down in the 60s.

Spell of Borismania coming up.

Look out Brecon! Look out Jezza! Look out EU and all and sundry Remainer Quislings!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In a forced choice between BoJo and the Jezaster, I would go for BoJo. Corbyn has all of Boris' faults, in somewhat greater measure, and is also rather less intelligent. Meanwhile, neither of them will put forward anything vaguely representing a programme for government so voting on their manifestoes would be pointless.

However, if I were giving a third option of being brutally tortured to death, I'd tell him to start heating the irons.
    Given the choice - I will be voting for Corbyn. Labour can't win a majority as it's lost it's Scottish base so I suspect it;s worst policies to be mitigated...

Oh and I also suspect Labour even under Corbyn will be better than No Deal under Boris...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,818

First, congratulations on being on the winning side in terms of choosing Jo. I voted for Ed - I thought he was better at the London Hustings. I think the piece in last Wednesday's Standard was extremely insightful and perhaps a good commentary on why Jo was the better choice. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

The online poll for B&R put TBP on 20% which isn't a bad poll from nowhere. In terms of expectation, second was the absolute best for TBP in the seat and it's still within reach. @HYUFD would have you believe because the Conservative plus TBP number is 48% and the Conservative vote share in 2017 was 48% all that has happened is the Conservative vote has split between Con and TBP and with the coming of Boris wikll run back en bloc to the Conservatives. If only politics were that simple...

If I were Farage, I'd be happy with 20% and a solid third in this seat.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

If it transpired beyond doubt he was Jack the Ripper he still wouldn't resign. No one would expect him to either, Boris will be Boris.
    Leavers wouldn't care, so long as he delivered Brexit.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

what if theyre not a party but just a big pressure group ?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

rkrkrk said:

Finally someone comes up with a way of ending the problem we are in.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Or a small but well funded one.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    ydoethur said:

What could possibly be worse than we already know?!
    Was he ever on Epstein's plane?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897
    2 hours 38 minutes to go
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

given their vote share you cant claim small.
  • Options
    stodge said:

First, congratulations on being on the winning side in terms of choosing Jo. I voted for Ed - I thought he was better at the London Hustings. I think the piece in last Wednesday's Standard was extremely insightful and perhaps a good commentary on why Jo was the better choice. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

The online poll for B&R put TBP on 20% which isn't a bad poll from nowhere. In terms of expectation, second was the absolute best for TBP in the seat and it's still within reach. @HYUFD would have you believe because the Conservative plus TBP number is 48% and the Conservative vote share in 2017 was 48% all that has happened is the Conservative vote has split between Con and TBP and with the coming of Boris wikll run back en bloc to the Conservatives. If only politics were that simple...

I'd be happy with that too. Big enough to be a threat and get attention. But no risk of actually having to deliver anything in particular.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Cleansing, Alan, we need a cleansing. Clear out the tossers and we can reset. No one said it would be quick or easy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You could always vote LD.

I can see the slogan now "Vote Lib Dem - slightly better than being brutally tortured to death" and a picture of Jo Swinson with the caption "Heat up the irons". A landslide awaits....

• Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Cleansing, Alan, we need a cleansing. Clear out the tossers and we can reset. No one said it would be quick or easy.
    I think it's like starting a car with a flat battery. It's a devil to get started but once you get going it all falls into place. Ask Neil Kinnock.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    stooge said:

In a general election in B&R, yes. But, not in a by-election.

There are no prizes for a "solid third" against a very suboptimal Tory candidate.

If TBP can't take seats in by-elections, they will not take any in a GE.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,197
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

I can see the slogan now "Vote Lib Dem - slightly better than being brutally tortured to death" and a picture of Jo Swinson with the caption "Heat up the irons". A landslide awaits....

OMG! I so cannot believe you said that!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Ive heard that said so many times and it always fails, the electoral system rewards broad churches not narrow sects.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

UKIP were a pressure group. Arguably the most successful pressure group of recent, and not so recent times. They achieved their aim completely, albeit the pesky politicians haven't implemented the referendum result.

The only reason TBP has resurfaced is because we're still in the EU and I think that for as long as we are in they will be around and understandably so. And yet again they have forced a clear policy direction from the government in this case do or die out by 31st October.

Nothing wrong with or unsuccessful about being a pressure group.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

I think it's like starting a car with a flat battery. It's a devil to get started but once you get going it all falls into place. Ask Neil Kinnock.
    Unless the battery has sulfated in which case you're still fucked the next time you stop.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Ive heard that said so many times and it always fails, the electoral system rewards broad churches not narrow sects.
    Yes but if parties refuse to be broad churches and actively repel those who would populate it what then?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976

rkrkrk said:

They are more like a US style PAC.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Unless the battery has sulfated in which case you're still fucked the next time you stop.
    Don't you hate it when bad things happen to good metaphors.
  • Options
    Mr. Recidivist, a bird in the hand gathers no moss.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

When centrists say "broad church" what they actually mean is "centrists must retain control at all times, everyone else just has to get with the program"
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Given the choice - I will be voting for Corbyn. Labour can't win a majority as it's lost it's Scottish base so I suspect it;s worst policies to be mitigated...

Oh and I also suspect Labour even under Corbyn will be better than No Deal under Boris...
    I don't trust Corbyn not to suspend Parliament and rule by decree under the Civil Contingencies Act.

Nor do I believe for a second that his backbenchers or even the SNP would vote against him even if he went for some of the madder schemes proposed by Rebecca Long Bailey or Lloyd Russell-Moyle.
  • Options

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

OMG! I so cannot believe you said that!
    It's called humour, my friend. Too many po-faced humourless know-nothing half-wit punters on this site these days.

Why are we discussing Boris when there's a quality jumps card at Southwell and you can see that Jo Swinson poster now and you won't be able to get that image out of your head for days.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Yes but if parties refuse to be broad churches and actively repel those who would populate it what then?
    You need to either change the electoral system which neither Labour or the Conservatives wish to do or get a leader who can stitch a broad church together.
    Cameron tragically just couldnt do party management. So go find a unifier.
  • Options
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

As long as they stand in Cannock Chase I will probably be voting for them.

A shame it isn't Lichfield which they have a chance of winning.
  • Options

stooge said:

In a general election in B&R, yes. But, not in a by-election.

There are no prizes for a "solid third" against a very suboptimal Tory candidate.

If TBP can't take seats in by-elections, they will not take any in a GE.
    Peterborough was a fair chance, Brecon not so good. If Dover comes along shortly after October 31st it absolutely HAS to be won by The Brexit Party
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    Do we know if our esteemed friend Thaddeus is among them?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

When centrists say "broad church" what they actually mean is "centrists must retain control at all times, everyone else just has to get with the program"
    Right at the moment Leavers are trying to purge the Conservative party of anyone who isn't ready to drive over the cliff with Thelma and Louise.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

You need to either change the electoral system which neither Labour or the Conservatives wish to do or get a leader who can stitch a broad church together.
    Europe. Not much able to be unified in that department. Of course now the tossers (Redmond, Cash et al) are now at the very centre of the party.

So why am I still there? Well I am looking forward to seeing what happens over the next few days and weeks up and just beyond 31/10 to determine whether they will succeed in getting rid of me.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I earlier confirmed that I remain in Yorkshire.
  • Options

You May have made a wise decision.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Peterborough was a fair chance, Brecon not so good. If Dover comes along shortly after October 31st it absolutely HAS to be won by The Brexit Party

It was over after TBP lost Posh.

My guess is TBP will underperform the poll in B&R. They habitually underperform polls.

Dover ... as the case of Nigel Evans showed, it perhaps wise to wait to hear the evidence the police have amassed.

We have just had a very vivid demonstration of police incompetence on a truly massive scale.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Big opportunity for Jo & Lib Dems. But all the Lib Dems I know are absolutely scarred from the coalition and yet that seems to be the best way of getting their policies into government.

My personal view is that the Lib Dems made some pretty colossal political errors in the last coalition. If they avoid things like tripling tuition fees, then there's no reason why they can't prosper electorally from a successful coalition government.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Cameron tragically couldn't do renegotiation.

Cameron tragically couldn't bring himself to urge us to Leave.

Cameron tragically legged it - leaving us with May then Boris.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

My guess is TBP will underperform the poll in B&R. They habitually underperform polls.

Dover ... as the case of Nigel Evans showed, it perhaps wise to wait to hear the evidence the police have amassed.

We have just had a very vivid demonstration of police incompetence on a truly massive scale.
    As noted above, they don't need to over or under perform in polls. They just need to maintain their boot on the neck of the leader of the Conservative party and it's job done for them.
  • Options
    As an aside, the expected triumph of Johnson will bear witness to the enormous power of polling.

The Johnson bandwagon started to roll after the ComRes poll in the second week of June which showed Boris as the only candidate not only able to stop TBP in its tracks but to win a comprehensive 140 seat landslide majority.

Subsequent Com Res polls have eroded that somewhat and indeed the last one dissipated it completely leaving a leaving a Boris-led Conservative Party, having delivered Brexit, the largest party in a hung Parliament.

The impact of that initial Com Res polling was immediate and decisive as MPs worried for their livelihoods saw Johnson as their salvation and it's amazing how a little motivated self-interest can soon ease any doubts or concerns.

Had a second candidate been able to produce as good a result as Boris we'd have had a real contest but the advantage shifted decisively to Johnson and he has been in control throughout the MP polling and ever since.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,394

Have you supplied any enormo-haddock though, Mr Dancer?
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Big opportunity for Jo & Lib Dems. But all the Lib Dems I know are absolutely scarred from the coalition and yet that seems to be the best way of getting their policies into government.

My personal view is that the Lib Dems made some pretty colossal political errors in the last coalition. If they avoid things like tripling tuition fees, then there's no reason why they can't prosper electorally from a successful coalition government.
    The best option is a GONU - with members retaining their party allegiances, and that evolving over time into a new centre party.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

We can only hope.
    lol

Cameron tragically couldn't do renegotiation.

Cameron tragically couldn't bring himself to urge us to Leave.

Cameron tragically legged it - leaving us with May then Boris.
    It's always someone else's fault

You leavers need to man up and take responsibility for the mess.

But it's always easier to blame someone else, isn't it? ;)
  • Options
    I may be utterly wrong here but I certainly believe hunt is better placed to win than popular views have it.
    My belief is the UKIP member move to the tories has been vastly overstated.
    As for the topic in the header. I think the overwhelming outcome will be pressure on the greens to deal with the LDs and Labour leadership to talk more positively about remain. I suspect both tories and BXP have already written this off although the more anti-Tory broadcast journos will go rabid on whichever poor bugger gets the short straw of the overnight studio tour.

As I say, I have been wrong before and will be again
  • Options
    stodge said:

As an aside, the expected triumph of Johnson will bear witness to the enormous power of polling.

The Johnson bandwagon started to roll after the ComRes poll in the second week of June which showed Boris as the only candidate not only able to stop TBP in its tracks but to win a comprehensive 140 seat landslide majority.

Subsequent Com Res polls have eroded that somewhat and indeed the last one dissipated it completely leaving a leaving a Boris-led Conservative Party, having delivered Brexit, the largest party in a hung Parliament.

The impact of that initial Com Res polling was immediate and decisive as MPs worried for their livelihoods saw Johnson as their salvation and it's amazing how a little motivated self-interest can soon ease any doubts or concerns.

Had a second candidate been able to produce as good a result as Boris we'd have had a real contest but the advantage shifted decisively to Johnson and he has been in control throughout the MP polling and ever since.

Indeed, anyone who thinks polling is a mere tool to reflect rather than attempt to shape public opinion isn't paying attention. I think this is one of the reasons there are so many US polls done for the primaries, plenty with small sample sizes.

You get a good one for your candidate through natural variation and a friendly media organisation to spin it for all its worth, job done.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, it is not one's policy to comment on the deployment of the enormo-haddock.

Nor can I confirm/deny whether or not the space cannon barrel has been lubricated for ease of loading a particularly fat item of ammunition.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is Stephen Lloyd going to be readmitted as a LD MP at some point?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    I do not support Boris, I did not vote for Boris, and he will have a lot of enemies

However, today he is almost certain to become leader of the conservative party and Prime Minister and I wish him well and genuinely hope he surprises on the upside

I am very interested in his speech which will no doubt be about unity and to this end his appointments to cabinet will demonstrate if he means what he says

I want to see a diverse cabinet including some sensible former remainers who support Brexit but are reluctant no dealers ( Amber Rudd and Nicky Morgan spring to mind)
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Well, of course, there are further disastrous LibDem coalitions to consider.

After the elections in 1999 and 2003, they were in power with SLAB in Scotland.

They were & are in power with Llafur in Wales. (Labour have cunningly dumped Dim Kirsty with Education, one of the most disastrous & poorly performing portfolios).

All these coalitions led to lost seats and votes.

The truth is the LibDems say one thing to left-leaning voters and another thing to right-leaning voters. That is why LibDem Coalitions lead on to disappointment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

Indeed, anyone who thinks polling is a mere tool to reflect rather than attempt to shape public opinion isn't paying attention. I think this is one of the reasons there are so many US polls done for the primaries, plenty with small sample sizes.

You get a good one for your candidate through natural variation and a friendly media organisation to spin it for all its worth, job done.
    Wasn’t that the whole strategy of the People’s Vote campaign, with their £1m donation to be spent on polling? The idea being to keep the issue in the news, rather than actually wanting to know opinions.
  • Options
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    stodge said:

Agree completely. ComRes, the second worst pollster at GE2017, did it for Boris
  • Options

I do not support Boris, I did not vote for Boris, and he will have a lot of enemies

However, today he is almost certain to become leader of the conservative party and Prime Minister and I wish him well and genuinely hope he surprises on the upside

I am very interested in his speech which will no doubt be about unity and to this end his appointments to cabinet will demonstrate if he means what he says

I want to see a diverse cabinet including some sensible former remainers who support Brexit but are reluctant no dealers ( Amber Rudd and Nicky Morgan spring to mind)

You effectively voted for Boris by not voting against him.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

As noted above, they don't need to over or under perform in polls. They just need to maintain their boot on the neck of the leader of the Conservative party and it's job done for them.
    My point is there a difference between a by-election and a GE.

In 2015, UKIP got 12 per cent of the vote. It did the Tories good. They won a majority.

I suspect in a GE, TBP will end with ~ 12 per cent of the vote.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

stodge said:

Agree completely. ComRes, the second worst pollster at GE2017, did it for Boris
    MPs were always very finely attuned to the polls. First and foremost they wanted someone who the polls (for the want of any other way of knowing) said would win a GE for them.

The membership? It was probably the showbiz that did it for them.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    AndyJS said:

Is Stephen Lloyd going to be readmitted as a LD MP at some point?

He left of his own accord resigning the whip but is still a party member, I would guess if no deal is to become the only option he would reapply
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    If nothing else it's going to be a right hoot watching the Tories elect their own Corbyn, it's just a shame that the rest of us have to put up with him.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Around three quarters of the current LD membership joined the Party after 2015. The party I joined in 1980 perished in the fires of the Coalition. That's not to say the Coalition Experience doesn't resonate but it's different perhaps for the MPs who went through it (which excludes Layla Moran) and the membership which largely didn't.

I've argued on here many times tuition fees and the AV referendum were colossal unnecessary self-inflicted mistakes while the Conservatives proved far more adept at handling dealing with coalition than I and others in the LDs thought they would and in truth the LDs never found a way to respond to David Cameron.

As a Sheffield man once said "that was then but this is now".

I think the line now is to regard both a Johnson led Conservative Party and a Corbyn led Labour Party as the sort for which, were we to be forced to sup with them, the longest of spoons would be required. So much in terms of negotiation depends on the parliamentary arithmetic and the simple observation is the more MPs you have the more power you have in a post-election situation.

• Options
    Meanwhile, in other news, perhaps some of Johnson's largesse should be directed here rather than pointless tax cuts:

https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2019/07/send-duties-increasing-pressure-councils?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=
  • Options
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

My point is there a difference between a by-election and a GE.

In 2015, UKIP got 12 per cent of the vote. It did the Tories good. They won a majority.

I suspect in a GE, TBP will end with ~ 12 per cent of the vote.
    In 2015 though the Tory party won a lot of centre right votes from remainer voters.

Those votes are not returning to Boris so every TBP vote is a lost Tory vote...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    TOPPING said:

You effectively voted for Boris by not voting against him.
    I could not vote for either
This discussion has been closed.