Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where we are now summed up in two betting Tweets

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,198
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:
    So some Cabinet Ministers want to to vote against the manifesto upon which they were elected. It farcical. They just want to be paid for doing what Brussels tells them.
    Its either CU or No Deal or GE.

Decision time.
    I'm of the view that May will go for a general election. It buys time from the EU and provides the opportunity to clear the decks. She might end up walking the plank or sinking the Corbyn fleet but at least it will be the PM taking back an element of control from the storm.
    Peter Henessy on Any Questions this evening pointed out that governments do not win single-issue general elections.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,326

FF43 said:

isam said:
    Son of one of Britain's most prominent capitalists, Etonian, married the heiress to the Rothschild banking dynasty, financier in his own right - complains about the establishment.

Attacking the messenger rather the message is always a sign of intellectual bankruptcy
    Always?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Jonathan said:

I have a hunch that May will go for no deal, rather than take on her right wing. She might try another MV first, but will prefer no deal over compromise.

She and the Tories are finished in terms of this administration, what ever they do. May must be the most incompetent PM we have ever had the misfortune to have. You have to laugh! She said she was a tough negotiator - outcome she was the reverse of the iron lady. She maybe right in that she is a bloody difficult women but that has not worked to her advantage either! She makes the worst decisions on every occasion. Offered a choice she vacillates and then mangers to strategically weaken herself and her Government! It baffles me that people still support her, she is appalling.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,897
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:
    So some Cabinet Ministers want to to vote against the manifesto upon which they were elected. It farcical. They just want to be paid for doing what Brussels tells them.

Decision time.
    I'm of the view that May will go for a general election. It buys time from the EU and provides the opportunity to clear the decks. She might end up walking the plank or sinking the Corbyn fleet but at least it will be the PM taking back an element of control from the storm.
    So euro elections and long extension or No Deal and catyclism?
  • Options
    Enough for the day

I hope everyone has a restful night and a great weekend

Our grandson is 10 on Sunday so will have a great family day as it is also Mothers day

Brexit talk is off for the weekend in this household

Good night folks
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,184

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That moment when Leave went full on fascist.

https://twitter.com/albyearley/status/1111701074094817280?s=21

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me
    This is the most unBritish thing I have seen.
    Indeed. I wouldn't dream of associating myself with it.
    Leavers need to excise this actively from their movement and the sentiments that drive it. This is not part of what motivates most Leavers.
    Tommy Robinson has nothing to do with my movement.

I find him abhorrent.
    I know you do. They do not represent you. However...

Some of the language prominent Leavers have used like “traitor” and “saboteur” have not helped one bit. Instead there should have more of an effort to remove them and attract normal folk that may simply disagree with Leave.
    Never mind “more of an effort”, “an effort” would have been a start. Leavers have constantly pandered to the extremes. Now they wonder why things are getting steadily worse.
    You've got no interest in making Brexit work. Many people in this country now have no interest in making the EU work. How the flying feckity doodah do we reconcile that?
    Yes it’s a complete disaster. I’ve been saying that for nearly three years. Glad you’re catching on.
    ' ... recession is beckoning with a dark cloak, a skeletal finger and a voice that speaks in block capitals ... '

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/29/alistair-meeks-on-the-political-and-economic-crises-of-breathtaking-proportions/

And out in the real world the City hasn't relocated to Frankfurt nor have the crops rotted in the fields.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2019
    @Peter_the_Punter

Any deal would have done. The mistake was letting MP's vote on it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me
    Leavers need to excise this actively from their movement and the sentiments that drive it. This is not part of what motivates most Leavers.

I find him abhorrent.

Some of the language prominent Leavers have used like “traitor” and “saboteur” have not helped one bit. Instead there should have more of an effort to remove them and attract normal folk that may simply disagree with Leave.
    Never mind “more of an effort”, “an effort” would have been a start. Leavers have constantly pandered to the extremes. Now they wonder why things are getting steadily worse.
    This isn't fair. Leavers may well have made insufficient effort, but non-Leavers are equally guilty. You, yourself, are one of the most intransigent remainers. How much effort did you make?
    In what way am I intransigent? I would have voted for the deal if I had a choice. I might still get the opportunity.

I haven’t concealed my disgust for the antics of Leavers, but those have been pretty contemptible, as I’m sure you’ll accept. And why should Remainers make any effort to forge a consensus for a policy they think is malign and foolish?
    Sorry - perhaps I haven't kept up with developments. You were once-upon-a-time the most intransigent of remainers - at least based on reading of your views.

Remainers need to recognise the decision. You'd have to confess that all on the remain side actively see that as a thing, and very rarely wish to acknowledge any validity in the decision.
    Why do Remainers need to recognise the decision? Leavers have had their chance to make it work and it’s collapsed into chaos and recrimination. If they want they have abundant evidence to justify a conclusion that it’s a fiasco and should be abandoned. Leavers have given them no reason to work with them.
  • Options
    May's deal wins next time, I fear
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Decision time.
    CU pledge -> Exit -> New Leader -> No CU -> General Election
    That's a possibility if the Conservatives do some 'clever thinking' and less posturing.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me

I find him abhorrent.

Things are getting steadily worse because the public voted to leave the EU and a remainer Parliament is doing everything it can to prevent us leaving the EU.
    I don't think you can solely blame the Remainers - there are a fair few Leavers doing their best to ensure we don't Brexit.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Mays deal against a CU will win . Unless the CU comes with a second vote , the TIG . Lib Dems , PC and SNP will abstain . Mays deal will win but probably fail to get a proper majority.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me

I find him abhorrent.

Things are getting steadily worse because the public voted to leave the EU and a remainer Parliament is doing everything it can to prevent us leaving the EU.
    People elected that parliament after May called an election after saying the other parties were trying to stop Brexit. You can’t say it’s undemocratic.
    You can when 86% of votes were cast for parties pledged to implement Brexit....
    I wish you would not lump votes together like that. I know many people who voted Tory or Labour at the last election who do not support Brexit. I was one of them who voted Tory to keep Corbyn out. I won't be making the same mistake again ….
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,972

Scott_P said:
    Yes. No deal. In 14 days. With fuck all prep. And maximum disruption. The opposite of what the Confederation of British Industry and British Chambers of Commerce want.

That's how the Tories win a majority...
    The Telegraph becam the ERGgraph many moons ago tbh.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,552
    nico67 said:

OMG no more imminent election talk from the media .

More nonsense. Any election won’t happen until after Brexit . So the Tories who are more reliant on Leavers are going to go to the country after having failed to deliver Brexit . Exactly what will the manifesto say , Mays deal ! After the ERG have spent months convincing Leavers her deal is rubbish and making many Leavers no dealers will the manifesto say no deal .

Are they looking to get completely wiped out in cities. They will also get wiped out in Scotland . The Tories are screwed , Labour will suffer some damage but even in Leave seats the majority of Labour voters were Remainers .

May threatening an election and the Tories actually voting for it is a fantasy.

The impeccable logic of the bit in bold can be applied just as well to demonstrate the absurdity of holding a Referendum of May's Deal vs Remain.

A viable Referendum must have a Deal that is supported by this Parliament. But if it is supported by this Parliament there is no need for a Referendum.

Unless - a General Election is called and Labour win it with the specific offer of first re-negotiating a new Deal and then requiring a confirmatory Referendum on it.

That works.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927
    isam said:

OllyT said:

Barnesian said:

isam said:

Barnesian said:

isam said:

Barnesian said:

Good summing up of some of the atmosphere :

http://www.twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1111686933825179649

She wouldn't have got that from the Remain crowd. No police necessary. That's the difference.
    That's because they are voting to Remain!

Farage has been attacked on more than one occasion, and I doubt it was by Leavers
    The Remain crowd of a million had zero police presence. The police had done the risk assessment and knew there was no risk. The Farage Sunderland march of 150(?) had six police in yellow jackets.
    I’ll sell a million and buy at zero
    The numbers aren't the point. The difference is the behaviour. Whose side do you want to be on. The tattooed yobs (plus Trump and Putin)?
    Its genuinely mystifying to me how a vaguely intelligent person can't see how stupifyingly cretinous it is to base a political decision on whether 'the tatooed yobs' belong to the other side. What sort of imbeciles have we bred?
    You don't think people won't look at the footage of Saturday's remain march and tonight's leave protest and draw their own conclusions? Obviously you can't judge all leavers by tonight's crowd but it's not doing much to dispel the stereotype although I am personally quite happy for Tommy Robinson to become the poster boy for leave!.
    A Leave supporter murdered Jo Cox, and a week or two later Leave still won
    That's OK then
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Decision time.
    No deal isn’t desirable but allows us to get on with the rest of our lives. Don’t see how the Tory Party can fight a GE without splitting at the moment. Both more desirable that staying in a customs union.
    That depends upon what the consequences of a No Deal would be.

I am not sanguine about that when we have Fox and Grayling in two vital positions, the government barely functioning as it is and the economic cycle drawing to its end.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,640
    edited March 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me

I find him abhorrent.

I don't think you can solely blame the Remainers - there are a fair few Leavers doing their best to ensure we don't Brexit.
    Exactly. The six from the government Remain side who voted against are balanced off by the five Labour leavers who backed the government. It was the ERG rebels and the DUP who lost the vote.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    We're going through the seven stages. Was Brexit Crisis, then Brexit Chaos, now Brexit Fiasco. The usual thing with fiascos is to put a stop to them.

(And by the way I am getting REALLY irritated with the oversensitive text input system on my phone that has decided "Brexit" is an obscene word and keeps changing it to something else when I type it in. Every second word I type is Brexit.)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,024
    It sounds as if there is a full and frank exchange of views taking place at the Beaconsfield AGM.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    edited March 2019

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I find him abhorrent.

This isn't fair. Leavers may well have made insufficient effort, but non-Leavers are equally guilty. You, yourself, are one of the most intransigent remainers. How much effort did you make?
    In what way am I intransigent? I would have voted for the deal if I had a choice. I might still get the opportunity.

I haven’t concealed my disgust for the antics of Leavers, but those have been pretty contemptible, as I’m sure you’ll accept. And why should Remainers make any effort to forge a consensus for a policy they think is malign and foolish?
    Sorry - perhaps I haven't kept up with developments. You were once-upon-a-time the most intransigent of remainers - at least based on reading of your views.

Remainers need to recognise the decision. You'd have to confess that all on the remain side actively see that as a thing, and very rarely wish to acknowledge any validity in the decision.
    Why do Remainers need to recognise the decision? Leavers have had their chance to make it work and it’s collapsed into chaos and recrimination. If they want they have abundant evidence to justify a conclusion that it’s a fiasco and should be abandoned. Leavers have given them no reason to work with them.
    Well because it's a democracy. Because it was a referendum. It has to count for something.

We're all supposed to work to enable our collective decisions.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,065

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me

I find him abhorrent.

You've got no interest in making Brexit work. Many people in this country now have no interest in making the EU work. How the flying feckity doodah do we reconcile that?
    Yes it’s a complete disaster. I’ve been saying that for nearly three years. Glad you’re catching on.
    ' ... recession is beckoning with a dark cloak, a skeletal finger and a voice that speaks in block capitals ... '

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/29/alistair-meeks-on-the-political-and-economic-crises-of-breathtaking-proportions/

And out in the real world the City hasn't relocated to Frankfurt nor have the crops rotted in the fields.
    Yep. As that article makes abundantly clear, whatever slight remnants of credibility Meeks had left from the run up to the referendum have evaporated completely as a result of his deranged mindset ever since.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    We were supposed to be leaving the EU in 42 minutes' time.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    OllyT said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

Barnesian said:

isam said:

Barnesian said:

isam said:

Barnesian said:

Good summing up of some of the atmosphere :

http://www.twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1111686933825179649

She wouldn't have got that from the Remain crowd. No police necessary. That's the difference.
    That's because they are voting to Remain!

Farage has been attacked on more than one occasion, and I doubt it was by Leavers
    The Remain crowd of a million had zero police presence. The police had done the risk assessment and knew there was no risk. The Farage Sunderland march of 150(?) had six police in yellow jackets.
    I’ll sell a million and buy at zero
    The numbers aren't the point. The difference is the behaviour. Whose side do you want to be on. The tattooed yobs (plus Trump and Putin)?
    Its genuinely mystifying to me how a vaguely intelligent person can't see how stupifyingly cretinous it is to base a political decision on whether 'the tatooed yobs' belong to the other side. What sort of imbeciles have we bred?
    You don't think people won't look at the footage of Saturday's remain march and tonight's leave protest and draw their own conclusions? Obviously you can't judge all leavers by tonight's crowd but it's not doing much to dispel the stereotype although I am personally quite happy for Tommy Robinson to become the poster boy for leave!.
    A Leave supporter murdered Jo Cox, and a week or two later Leave still won
    That's OK then
    It wasn’t ok, but it shows that even the most horrific act isn’t enough to make voters feel guilty enough by association to change their mind. Unless you think Leave would have won by even more had it not happened I suppose.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    nico67 said:

Mays deal against a CU will win . Unless the CU comes with a second vote , the TIG . Lib Dems , PC and SNP will abstain . Mays deal will win but probably fail to get a proper majority.

I reckon it could be close. The SNP, TIG and LDs + Others will plump for CU in a Mays Deal v CU but on the other side the Francois and the Bakers will plump for the May deal if it's between the two.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see that the Attorney General in America has walked back his "no collusion" letter from the weekend.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Luckily, we got a stay of execution. :smile:
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    What are the Leavers playing at? I don't get it. Sure, they said Brexit would be a cakewalk to secure the win, but surely no one sane actually believed that. Having won they should have emphasized the sheer volume of work and commitment needed to forge a new relationship - sold it as a kind of test of national spunk. Instead they just want to flounce. Why is that?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445

Scott_P said:

Decision time.
    No deal isn’t desirable but allows us to get on with the rest of our lives. Don’t see how the Tory Party can fight a GE without splitting at the moment. Both more desirable that staying in a customs union.

I am not sanguine about that when we have Fox and Grayling in two vital positions, the government barely functioning as it is and the economic cycle drawing to its end.
    I am not worried about Fox. Grayling however is simply unfit for office - unless it’s a janitor somewhere.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    Omnium said:

Well because it's a democracy. Because it was a referendum. It has to count for something.

Don't know about you but I don't work for a collective, I have my own business
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    What are the Leavers playing at? I don't get it. Sure, they said Brexit would be a cakewalk to secure the win, but surely no one sane actually believed that. Having won they should have emphasized the sheer volume of work and commitment needed to forge a new relationship - sold it as a kind of test of national spunk. Instead they just want to flounce. Why is that?
    You answered your own question.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I find him abhorrent.

Meeks is an EU fanatic. Referendums only count for something if they yield the right result in EU land. There's plenty of precedent.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Really? I don’t see Jeremy Corbyn working to enable the current government. Nor would Labour supporters expect him to.

And it turns out that this decision was a duff one that its promoters were clueless how to implement. There’s no requirement for others to try to make a nutty idea work.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

nico67 said:

I reckon it could be close. The SNP, TIG and LDs + Others will plump for CU in a Mays Deal v CU but on the other side the Francois and the Bakers will plump for the May deal if it's between the two.
    I think CU will squeak it because there is more latent support within the Tories for a softer Brexit than within Labour for a less soft one.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Scott_P said:
    I'd live with that. Out of the CAP, CFP, no obligation to join Schengen or the Euro and oversight by the EFTA Court rather than the ECJ
  • Options

That's the key point. If the benefits of leaving were obvious, Leavers would be showing the way and erstwhile Remainers would be keeping very quiet, if not already signed up. Neither has happened and the recriminations simply reflect the failure that this project was always going to be.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Some people will never accept Yes for an answer.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They have spent their lives in safe seats, and never had to chase voters on polling day after 9pm. When it is always neck and neck and every vote could make the difference,
  • Options

AndyJS said:

The amazing thing is it's only about 700 days since Theresa May had a 50% to 25% lead in the opinion polls.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Don't know about you but I don't work for a collective, I have my own business
    The noun is rather different.
    Our collective decisions versus (say) the decisions of the collective.
    Pay attention comrade!

• Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    kinabalu said:

nico67 said:

OMG no more imminent election talk from the media .

More nonsense. Any election won’t happen until after Brexit . So the Tories who are more reliant on Leavers are going to go to the country after having failed to deliver Brexit . Exactly what will the manifesto say , Mays deal ! After the ERG have spent months convincing Leavers her deal is rubbish and making many Leavers no dealers will the manifesto say no deal .

Are they looking to get completely wiped out in cities. They will also get wiped out in Scotland . The Tories are screwed , Labour will suffer some damage but even in Leave seats the majority of Labour voters were Remainers .

May threatening an election and the Tories actually voting for it is a fantasy.

The impeccable logic of the bit in bold can be applied just as well to demonstrate the absurdity of holding a Referendum of May's Deal vs Remain.

A viable Referendum must have a Deal that is supported by this Parliament. But if it is supported by this Parliament there is no need for a Referendum.

Unless - a General Election is called and Labour win it with the specific offer of first re-negotiating a new Deal and then requiring a confirmatory Referendum on it.

That works.
    The LAB position is still only to have a ref on a Con WA, isn't it? I can't see they'd want to call a referendum that pitted their own deal against their MPs' preference.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    I really can't see us leaving at all or at least not in any form that leavers would recognise.

They all look so miserable. The only one's the media ever interview are old crones and even other misrerable old crones woudn't want to identify with them.

The war is lost. Time to regroup under one of the fruitcake leaders and fight a guerilla war for the next couple of decades.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not forgetting kinder gentler politcs.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me

I find him abhorrent.

People elected that parliament after May called an election after saying the other parties were trying to stop Brexit. You can’t say it’s undemocratic.
    You can when 86% of votes were cast for parties pledged to implement Brexit....
    I wish you would not lump votes together like that. I know many people who voted Tory or Labour at the last election who do not support Brexit. I was one of them who voted Tory to keep Corbyn out. I won't be making the same mistake again ….
    It's not really relevant now, anyway. Brexit as a story has moved on considerably in two years. The Tories didn't win majority from the election and have already junked much of their losing manifesto anyway. Labour's paragraph on Brexit is heavily hedged with qualifications and certainly gives them freedom to oppose the government's approach, as would any opposition. There is no story here.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RH1992 said:

nico67 said:

I think CU will squeak it because there is more latent support within the Tories for a softer Brexit than within Labour for a less soft one.
    Softer Brexit seems to the only option that commands a fair degree of cross party support.

Second referendum might make it if May whipped for it, but only the payroll vote would support it, and lots of ministers would resign, unless they were allowed to abstain.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339

Scott_P said:

Decision time.
    How does No Deal 'allow us to get on with the rest of our lives? Remainers are furiously anti it, soft Brexiteers are not keen on it, it threatens the Union and might lead to Scottish independence and chaos in Ireland and damages the economy.

Mind you Revoke is no better as the Leave March today suggested it would lead to a surge for a Tommy Robinson dominated UKIP and Farage's new Brexit party and a very angry atmosphere amongst Leave voters.

Soft Brexit of some form is not perfect but it is now the only reasonable compromise
  • Options
    How can there be a 4th vote next week after Bercow's ruling?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So they were willing to vote for it if they thought it would win but wanted to vote against it if they thought it would lose ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is why I didn't go

A friend asked me

I find him abhorrent.

not yet ... but give it time :-)
  • Options
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just got back from my local party Association AGM, a strong feeling a 'true Brexiteer' was now needed as the next Tory leader. On a straw poll Raab and Leadsom came a surprising joint top, Boris was second and Hunt third

If that is true, the Tory party is heading for self-destruction.
    No, just getting back in touch with its core vote
    And out of touch with the majority.

Delicious, isn’t it?
    40-45% back hard Brexit in the polls, more than enough to give the Tories most seats under FPTP even if not a majority
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927
    FF43 said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Decision time.
    So euro elections and long extension or No Deal and catyclism?

What will really put the cat amongst the pigeons is if the EU veto any further extension. That's when I think we wills the real panic set in
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Really? I don’t see Jeremy Corbyn working to enable the current government. Nor would Labour supporters expect him to.

And it turns out that this decision was a duff one that its promoters were clueless how to implement. There’s no requirement for others to try to make a nutty idea work.
    What Corbyn does or doesn't do need not detain us.

But yes of course really. I really do believe that if duly elected a Labour government should govern our lands. I would fight for their right to do so even though I might disagree with everything they've ever said. 100% really.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349
    edited March 2019

Scott_P said:
    So they were willing to vote for it if they thought it would win but wanted to vote against it if they thought it would lose ?
    Isn't it that they were willing to vote for it if they thought it would lose but wanted to vote against it if they thought it would win. I think... Perhaps.. Possibly.

Er no, that can't be right...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just got back from my local party Association AGM, a strong feeling a 'true Brexiteer' was now needed as the next Tory leader. On a straw poll Raab and Leadsom came a surprising joint top, Boris was second and Hunt third

Delicious, isn’t it?
    40-45% back hard Brexit in the polls, more than enough to give the Tories most seats under FPTP even if not a majority
    As mentioned often, that figure is in fact for no-deal, with many other polls showing a significant number of those assume no-deal means to remain. From comparing various polls with other posters, it seems the hard Brexit core is more around 28-30 %.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

But yes of course really. I really do believe that if duly elected a Labour government should govern our lands. I would fight for their right to do so even though I might disagree with everything they've ever said. 100% really.
    You are entitled to oppose policies you believe to be malign even if a majority voted for them. And so can Remainers.

Leavers’ failure to seek to build bridges with Remainers is both baffling and critical to the current mess. It’s as though they wanted Brexit to fail.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Decision time.

I am not worried about Fox. Grayling however is simply unfit for office - unless it’s a janitor somewhere.
    You want No Deal but you're not worried that Fox is in charge of trade negotiations ?

Do you know how many trade treaties he has so far rolled over ?
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    They have spent their lives in safe seats, and never had to chase voters on polling day after 9pm. When it is always neck and neck and every vote could make the difference,
    Moylan is a particularly unpleasant example of the breed. Pompous, patrician, past parody.
  • Options
    For something sadder than the state of British Politics. Sky Arts showing the Peter Green Man of the World documentary :'(
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    edited March 2019
    kinabalu said:

Who's keeping their company? This was a binary choice in a constitutionally vital referendum. Do you like fish and chips? Aren't you worried that they like fish and chips? Do you wear underpants? So do they I'd be willing to bet. The idea that this would have any bearing on anyone's thought process on such an issue fills me with utter despair. We have lived with the EU for 40 odd years. Get a ****ing grip, make an informed decision, and have the strength of mind and character not to be deterred by memes, optics, and any other fluff.

If every racist moron in the country was passionately supportive of a cause that was close to my heart I would at the very least pause for thought.

Unless I was one of them of course.
    Then you can't have had any confidence in whether your decision was actually justified. And you could be easily coraled by media portrayals of baskets of ugly deplorables voting the other way. Which is essentially what remainerism is. It is a garment you wear to show how tolerant and right on you are. It's intellectual laziness.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,660

AndyJS said:

Aren't you "leaving" the pub then? :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Decision time.
    How does No Deal 'allow us to get on with the rest of our lives? Remainers are furiously anti it, soft Brexiteers are not keen on it, it threatens the Union and might lead to Scottish independence and chaos in Ireland and damages the economy.

Mind you Revoke is no better as the Leave March today suggested it would lead to a surge for a Tommy Robinson dominated UKIP and Farage's new Brexit party and a very angry atmosphere amongst Leave voters.

Soft Brexit of some form is not perfect but it is now the only reasonable compromise
    No deal means we stop navel gazing and get on with dealing with life outside the EU and have time to focus on other issues. Uncertainty over what’s happening, paralysis over taking a decision on the form Brexit should take and the all consuming nature of Brexit which prevents any attention being given to anything else all stop with no deal. A trade deal would have been ideal but not without the freedom to regulate our own domestic market as we see fit.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'd live with that. Out of the CAP, CFP, no obligation to join Schengen or the Euro and oversight by the EFTA Court rather than the ECJ
    Agree. I want us to be able to trade, the other stuff I can live without.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Delicious, isn’t it?
    As mentioned often, that figure is in fact for no-deal, with many other polls showing a significant number of those assume no-deal means to remain. From comparing various polls with other posters, it seems the hard Brexit core is more around 28-30 %.
    And anyway, firstly these people have to be voters and actually turn out, and secondly their locations (how they are distributed) matters rather a lot.
  • Options
    I have always supported the PM although the negotiation was flawed. No deal was not kept properly on the table. She's incredibly resilient, organised and patient. we have to get brexit concluded. We can make a success of it. I also want to get on with highlighting the other good work the government is doing.
  • Options
    isam said:

For something sadder than the state of British Politics. Sky Arts showing the Peter Green Man of the World documentary :'(

I have no idea what this is about. What's sad about it?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,886
    edited March 2019
    Government, MPs, party observers and commenters.

Surely the only way to take Brexit now is one day at a time.

And hope not too many more of the days end in the cry of "sweet Jesus".

Monday: a good workable approach to put in front of the executive please

We'll worry about the spirit the executive meet that with on Tuesday.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    HYUFD said:
    Can't she rustle up a few dozen new knighthoods? I suppose Irish Earldoms are out of the question?
  • Options
    'BREXIT’S fate will now be decided by an extraordinary X Factor-style run-off of votes next week – between Theresa May’s deal, a soft Brexit and a second referendum.
    Instead of dumping her EU agreement, No10 revealed the PM will instead try to bring it back a FOURTH time next week.'

Bercow to rule on Monday only the top 3 options from last Wednesday ie WA plus CU and EUref2 and EEA and CU will be voted for again in the next round of indicative votes with amendments receiving lower support like No Deal and revoke Art 50 and straight EEA eliminated.

May will then wait until 1 option is left and pit her Deal against it in a final runoff amongst MPs

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8751724/commons-vote-x-factor-style-brexit-referendum/
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Omnium said:

That it was a democratic decision is important. That no-one seems able to implement it sensibly makes it a problem. Leavers haven't worked to enable the collective decision either, and I am talking about essentially all Leavers, not just ERG nutcases. People are losing confidence in Brexit. Ultimately responsibility has to lie either with Leavers because it's their project or with Brexit itself because it's intrinsically unworkable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'BREXIT’S fate will now be decided by an extraordinary X Factor-style run-off of votes next week – between Theresa May’s deal, a soft Brexit and a second referendum.
    Instead of dumping her EU agreement, No10 revealed the PM will instead try to bring it back a FOURTH time next week.'

Bercow to rule on Monday only the top 3 options from last Wednesday ie WA plus CU and EUref2 and EEA and CU will be voted for again in the next round of indicative votes with amendments receiving lower support like No Deal and revoke Art 50 and straight EEA eliminated.

May will then wait until 1 option is left and pit her Deal against it in a final runoff amongst MPs

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8751724/commons-vote-x-factor-style-brexit-referendum/

SNP rumoured to be ready to back 'Common Market 2.0' ie Norway Plus EEA plus CU
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Delicious, isn’t it?
    Bring it on.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Delicious, isn’t it?
    I'd say the number who want a No Deal Brexit is about 25%. The number who would prefer it to revocation is much higher, but that doesn't mean they want it to happen.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

Talented 60s rock star and founder of Fleetwood Mac, destroyed his brain with drugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_(musician)
  • Options
    edited March 2019

You are entitled to oppose policies you believe to be malign even if a majority voted for them. And so can Remainers.

Leavers’ failure to seek to build bridges with Remainers is both baffling and critical to the current mess. It’s as though they wanted Brexit to fail.

Yes to the first.
    Consensus should have been sought on both sides. However its consensus bearing in mind the central fact that there has been a referendum and we decided to leave. (Don't have a referendum ever again obviously)

Leavers haven't failed to deliver Brexit - once the referendum was done it was all of our businesses to do so. WE have failed to deliver Brexit.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,552
    Drutt said:

The LAB position is still only to have a ref on a Con WA, isn't it? I can't see they'd want to call a referendum that pitted their own deal against their MPs' preference.

Yes that's their current position. But Labour's ultimate and only goal is to engineer a general election out of this crisis. What I'm suggesting is that if they are successful in that and if the election comes before we have exited (or agreed the terms to exit) the EU, then Labour will include in their manifesto the offer of a confirmatory referendum on a re-negotiated deal. The reason they will do so is for electoral advantage. The referendum will seek to attract remainers and the re-negotiation effort will seek to avoid a charge that they are betraying leavers or just lazily accepting a tory brexit. That is what I reckon they will do, should a snap 'crisis election' happen, and I think it will work. I think they will win.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Omnium said:

That it was a democratic decision is important. That no-one seems able to implement it sensibly makes it a problem. Leavers haven't worked to enable the collective decision either, and I am talking about essentially all Leavers, not just ERG nutcases. People are losing confidence in Brexit. Ultimately responsibility has to lie either with Leavers because it's their project or with Brexit itself because it's intrinsically unworkable.
    Responsibility lies with Parliament which is failing to carry out the instruction the people gave it despite promising the people it would do so.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    FF43 said:

Omnium said:

If Brexit was intrinsically unworkable, every country outside the EU would be a failed state.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Decision time.

No deal means we stop navel gazing and get on with dealing with life outside the EU and have time to focus on other issues. Uncertainty over what’s happening, paralysis over taking a decision on the form Brexit should take and the all consuming nature of Brexit which prevents any attention being given to anything else all stop with no deal. A trade deal would have been ideal but not without the freedom to regulate our own domestic market as we see fit.
    Nope, No Deal means we focus even more on Brexit and its consequences
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Yes to the first.
    Consensus should have been sought on both sides. However its consensus bearing in mind the central fact that there has been a referendum and we decided to leave. (Don't have a referendum ever again obviously)

Leavers haven't failed to deliver Brexit - once the referendum was done it was all of our businesses to do so. WE have failed to deliver Brexit.

Why should Remainers seek consensus for a policy they consider mad and malign and whose supporters label them quislings and traitors? They have no interest in making it work and have been given no reason to help.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Decision time.

This would be the same Dr Fox who sent more trade negotiators to Canberra and Washington DC than to all the countries that the EU had agreements with combined?

If we had rolled over the EU's existing trade agreements by now (or better managed it 12 months ago), then our negotiating position would be much stronger, and the dangers of No Deal would be much less.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Delicious, isn’t it?
    I'd say the number who want a No Deal Brexit is about 25%. The number who would prefer it to revocation is much higher, but that doesn't mean they want it to happen.
    I'm curious as to when the desire for No Deal began.

Initially it was the competing claims of Hard and Soft Brexit with May's Deal being a pretty hard variety.

But I don't remember much of the nihilistic desire for No Deal Brexit until the last year.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Decision time.

Nope, No Deal means we focus even more on Brexit and its consequences
    We’ll have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    11 minutes until Liam Fox's fanny turns into a pumpkin
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm confused, I thought Norway was one of the options that didn't stop a border down the Irish Sea. Have I got things mixed up?
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Yes to the first.

Why should Remainers seek consensus for a policy they consider mad and malign and whose supporters label them quislings and traitors? They have no interest in making it work and have been given no reason to help.

And therefore it's pointless Leavers reaching out to remainers, especially you. As you say, you've no interest in making it work nor finding any common ground, and anyone engaging with you on Brexit is wasting their time. You are just a fanatic, no less so than say Steve Baker.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Decision time.

This would be the same Dr Fox who sent more trade negotiators to Canberra and Washington DC than to all the countries that the EU had agreements with combined?

If we had rolled over the EU's existing trade agreements by now (or better managed it 12 months ago), then our negotiating position would be much stronger, and the dangers of No Deal would be much less.
    One thing which makes it difficult to take the No Deal supporters seriously is that they haven't been calling for the sackings of Fox and Grayling.

If they really wanted No Deal then they should have been demanding that the trade and transport roles were under competent control.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Yes to the first.

Honour.

You'll pay a losing bet, and I'd suggest you might wish to honour a losing referendum.

The rest is unhelpful invective as you know.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,255

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

If Brexit was intrinsically unworkable, every country outside the EU would be a failed state.
    Which begs the question as to why we have not to date found a way to make it work.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:
    Can't she rustle up a few dozen new knighthoods? I suppose Irish Earldoms are out of the question?
    I can't see the point of knighthoods. I took great delight in calling Sir Peter Soulsby "Pete" at a local meeting a few years ago. Little things....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,255
    HYUFD said:
    Strange photo. Is an illuminated exclamation mark issuing from his head?

• Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Yes to the first.

Honour.

You'll pay a losing bet, and I'd suggest you might wish to honour a losing referendum.

The rest is unhelpful invective as you know.
    I want to see this malign policy founded on a campaign of xenophobic lies fail. It must fail democratically but fail it should.

Leavers have given Remainers absolutely no reason to rethink: quite the contrary.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Rory Stewart on Newsnight says it is now inevitable the UK will contest the European elections unless a clear mandate for an option from the indicative votes
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,660

AndyJS said:

isam said:

Talented 60s rock star and founder of Fleetwood Mac, destroyed his brain with drugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_(musician)
    Did you see the documentary on BBC4 earlier tonight?
This discussion has been closed.