Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where we are now summed up in two betting Tweets

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Jonathan said:
    One that really made me laugh was ‘Never The Twain’
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Cyclefree said:

You’d take anti-semitism???? Sheesh......

Over the current thing, yup.

I mean, in practice we're only talking about failing to crack down on odious party members and a legitimate but unhealthily intense opposition to the government of Israel, it's not like Corbyn's going to direct Keir Starmer to sort out the logistics for the Final Solution.
    Frankly, anyone who chooses anti-semitism is utterly beyond the pale. I do not normally comment on other posters personally but morally such a course of action is utterly revolting.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Cyclefree said:

I mean, in practice we're only talking about failing to crack down on odious party members and a legitimate but unhealthily intense opposition to the government of Israel, it's not like Corbyn's going to direct Keir Starmer to sort out the logistics for the Final Solution.
    The sort of thing someone might quite reasonably have said in Berlin in 1935.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,076
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

A shame because he's an excellent parliamentarian, regardless of whether one agrees with his views or not.
    He is an excellent Parliamentarian but he has completely betrayed his party, the public's decision and no longer stands for what the party stands for. It has been party policy for 6 years roughly now that the public would decide our future and 3 years now since they did - he's stood on not one but 2 manifestos pledging to honour that. If he's unwilling to respect the party and the public then sadly he should go.
    You sound like a Corbynista or some of the hard Left in the early 1980’s when sensible Labour MPs were being threatened with deselection.

I think Grieve being turfed out is a great shame, unpopular as this may make me on this forum. The Tories are turning themselves into a nasty sect - nationalistic (not patriotic), xenophobic, anti-business, closed-minded, illiberal and obsessed with some sort of purist theoretical Brexit rather than a pragmatic what-works approach. They arenot conserving anything; their behaviour is utterly destructive.

Given how much I loathe Corbyn and what he stands for - and I know plenty like me - my vote ought to be up for grabs. Yet I would rather stick pins in my eyes than vote for a Tory party which embraces unpleasant morons like Mark Francois and Steve Baker, blustering lying philanderers like Johnson and feeble-minded incompetents like IDS and Dominic Raab and turns its back on people like Grieve, one of the more thoughtful MPs in Parliament and a very fine Attorney-General.
    You are an obvious CUK so stop whinging and sign up, they are looking for new members and I am sure would welcome your support
    The voice of the new Tory party to a possible voter: Fuck off.

Watching the Tories being destroyed at the next GE will be one of the few good things to come out of this sorry mess.

Edited: not just one voter. There are 5 in our household, none of which will be going to the Tories for the foreseeable future. They will likely be pretty evenly divided between the Lib Dems and the Greens.
    I did not name the party they did but yes the vast majority of Tory voters are Leave voters so if you are a staunch Remainer who dislikes Corbyn then you should be voting CUK.

I doubt any of your household are that frequent Tory voters anyway and given the Tories are still at least tied with Labour if not ahead in most polls they are far from being destroyed
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2019
    Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

A shame because he's an excellent parliamentarian, regardless of whether one agrees with his views or not.
    He is an excellent Parliamentarian but he has completely betrayed his party, the public's decision and no longer stands for what the party stands for. It has been party policy for 6 years roughly now that the public would decide our future and 3 years now since they did - he's stood on not one but 2 manifestos pledging to honour that. If he's unwilling to respect the party and the public then sadly he should go.
    You sound like a Corbynista or some of the hard Left in the early 1980’s when sensible Labour MPs were being threatened with deselection.

I think Grieve being turfed out is a great shame, unpopular as this may make me on this forum. The Tories are turning themselves into a nasty sect - nationalistic (not patriotic), xenophobic, anti-business, closed-minded, illiberal and obsessed with some sort of purist theoretical Brexit rather than a pragmatic what-works approach. They are not conserving anything; their behaviour is utterly destructive.

Given how much I loathe Corbyn and what he stands for - and I know plenty like me - my vote ought to be up for grabs. Yet I would rather stick pins in my eyes than vote for a Tory party which embraces unpleasant morons like Mark Francois and Steve Baker, blustering lying philanderers like Johnson and feeble-minded incompetents like IDS and Dominic Raab and turns its back on people like Grieve, one of the more thoughtful MPs in Parliament and a very fine Attorney-General.
    I regret to lose Grieve but whether he has left the party or the party has left him he sides with the opposition now. Sadly.

I would not regret losing some of those you named. There should be a big tent within the parties but the idea that once elected an MP should just remain unchallenged is what leaves the party with such deadwood as Christopher Chope etc
  • Options
    Marco1Marco1 Posts: 34
    Grieve de-selected
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Very sorry to see Dominic Grieve lose this confidence motion . It’s clear now that the more pro EU wing of the party are not welcome in the Tories . The rabid EU haters are now taking over the party and will have full control soon.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Andrew Griffiths, MP for East Staffs, has also lost a VONC, but that is due to inappropriate behaviour.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

I think Grieve being turfed out is a great shame, unpopular as this may make me on this forum. The Tories are turning themselves into a nasty sect - nationalistic (not patriotic), xenophobic, anti-business, closed-minded, illiberal and obsessed with some sort of purist theoretical Brexit rather than a pragmatic what-works approach. They arenot conserving anything; their behaviour is utterly destructive.

You are an obvious CUK so stop whinging and sign up, they are looking for new members and I am sure would welcome your support

Watching the Tories being destroyed at the next GE will be one of the few good things to come out of this sorry mess.

Edited: not just one voter. There are 5 in our household, none of which will be going to the Tories for the foreseeable future. They will likely be pretty evenly divided between the Lib Dems and the Greens.
    I do not side with HYUFD on that. Or much else.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Frankly, anyone who chooses anti-semitism is utterly beyond the pale. I do not normally comment on other posters personally but morally such a course of action is utterly revolting.
    There's racism in the Conservative Party too, and in any case you have to look at what the party will actually *do*.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

The sort of thing someone might quite reasonably have said in Berlin in 1935.
    About the Nazis? No, it's not.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

From fuck business, it’s not that far to fuck the voters.
    It is the Remainers who have said fuck the voters. My hope of course is that the voters return the compliment.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Marco1 said:

Grieve de-selected

A separate vote from the no-confidence motion?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    isam said:
    The Two Ronnies.

Or if I'm in a bad mood, Colditz.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

It was the voters who voted Leave, not big business
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,100
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

It was the voters who voted Leave, not big business
    https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/744908829901611008?s=21
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,315
    edited March 2019
    Shame about Grieve, but the writing was on the wall. Once the pro-EU-membership element of the Tories is purged, I suspect the ultras will have the non-hard-Brexit Leavers in there sights.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    A precursor to gang violence we see today. Thamesmead from The London Programme

https://youtu.be/e0JoVZoVf1w
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited March 2019
    Grieve chose a very unfortunate day to face his reselection vote. Going by the well attended meeting I was at tonight Tory members are not a happy bunch.
  • Options
    Kind of impressive that you can deselect a popular Tory MP in a safe seat with a mere 182 guys. We should get together and do some more.
  • Options
    Grieve off to join the TIGgers?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    So Brexit Day did have some good news with the deselection of Grieve. :D
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833

Perhaps but they'll have to find another seat for him as Beaconsfiled is the truest of true blue seats so he's finished there...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,897
    You are not a number. You are a poster on an internet forum.

Pause.

OK, something went wrong there... :(
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    HYUFD said:

Austrian Minister on Newsnight says if Commons coalesces around a new agreement could be looked at but would still require participation in the European elections.

If a general election or referendum the UK would also participate in the EU elections but at a later date than the rest of the EU

If we took part in the Euro-elections while Brexit was sorted out, many people might feel it was silly and not vote, or vote for odd parties, but I can't think that they'd feel it was the End of Days. On the scale of Frightful Things that we've been warned about by all sides, it's pretty low down.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Being a remainer should be perfectly acceptable within the Tory Party. Grieve though is perceived to have used every trick in the book to undermine Brexit despite supporting and getting elected on the back of the 2017 manifesto. Tonight was entirely predictable.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

You wouldn't enjoy it if you got it.

I don't doubt it.

FPTP + two main parties run by their lunatic members doesn't make for good choices.
    Speaking of which I swear I'm not making this up, when I load a page on British politics I get an ad for the Japanese Institute of Black Magic, offering me genuine, legal curses.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,880
    edited March 2019

Presumably. Unlike other independents who did not join the tiggers which if his views would make it a bad fit?

Though I dislike Grieve and have made no secret of that - I'm a little obsessed even - the Tories are in a dangerous place. Grieve has been particularly egregious in acting against the whip but he is hardly the only one and clearly still commands much respect and support. As norm says Grieve has done more than merely being a remainer but many not far from him will now probably be nervous.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,880

HYUFD said:

Austrian Minister on Newsnight says if Commons coalesces around a new agreement could be looked at but would still require participation in the European elections.

If a general election or referendum the UK would also participate in the EU elections but at a later date than the rest of the EU

If we took part in the Euro-elections while Brexit was sorted out, many people might feel it was silly and not vote, or vote for odd parties, but I can't think that they'd feel it was the End of Days. On the scale of Frightful Things that we've been warned about by all sides, it's pretty low down.
    It's not frightful its irritating. Either we should be electing them clear that it is for the full term or not need to elect any at all because we're out.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Presumably. Unlike other independents who did not join the tiggers which if his views would make it a bad fit?

Though I dislike Grieve and have made no secret of that - I'm a little obsessed even - the Tories are in a dangerous place. Grieve has been particularly egregious in acting against the whip but he is hardly the only one and clearly still commands much respect and support. As norm says Grieve has done more than merely being a remainer but many not far from him will now probably be nervous.
    Yup, IIRC he's opposed to a second referendum, which is basically the Tiggers' entire thing.

Must be tempting to get a private sector job and make some money and wait until he gets enlordified.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

Sean_F said:

I don't doubt it.

FPTP + two main parties run by their lunatic members doesn't make for good choices.
    Speaking of which I swear I'm not making this up, when I load a page on British politics I get an ad for the Japanese Institute of Black Magic, offering me genuine, legal curses.
    Might the Japanese stuff be connected to the fact you are "edmundintokyo"?
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Sean_F said:

I don't doubt it.

Might the Japanese stuff be connected to the fact you are "edmundintokyo"?
    Yes, that explains the Japanese part. Then the curses part would just be what everyone looks for after reading about British politics.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    edited March 2019
    kle4 said:

It's says a great deal about May that their is a place in her cabinet for Grayling but not for Grieve. Party before anything else. Every time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yup, IIRC he's opposed to a second referendum, which is basically the Tiggers' entire thing.

Must be tempting to get a private sector job and make some money and wait until he gets enlordified.
    Given Grieve is a QC and was a successful barrister I am sure he has plenty of money already, he could go back to the Bar and try and take on cases that press the anti Brexit cause
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Once we participate in the Euro elections I think all roads lead to BINO or revoke though
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2019

kle4 said:

Grieve is a Conservative and I doubt he would feel at home in the Tiggers.

Unfortunately all his manoeuvering and conniving over the last year and more clearly hasn't endeared him to local activists. We forget he engineered the 'meaningful vote' process which has brought the PM and government so much trouble in recent weeks!

This and more clearly too much for his local party. A leaver could probably have got away with such apparent disloyalty - but not a remainer.

"Dominic Grieve says Tory rebels are prepared to 'collapse the government' to block a 'catastrophic' Brexit deal - June 2018."

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Joe Biden facing some difficulties?

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/29/708232869/former-nevada-candidate-accuses-biden-of-unwanted-touching-which-he-doesnt-recal?t=1553908373959

"A former Nevada Democratic assemblywoman and candidate for lieutenant governor has come forward detailing an unwanted encounter with Vice President Joe Biden when he campaigned for her in 2014.

Lucy Flores writes in New York magazine about her "awkward" experience with Biden, saying he grabbed her shoulders from behind, sniffed her hair and then planted a kiss on the back of her head before a campaign event. On Friday, a spokesman for Biden said that the former vice president and staff who were present do not "recall what she describes."
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I see in the news TUI already presented a large grounding claim to Boeing
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Says some not very positive things about you.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep - absolutely disgusting
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,897
    brendan16 said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/29/708232869/former-nevada-candidate-accuses-biden-of-unwanted-touching-which-he-doesnt-recal?t=1553908373959

"A former Nevada Democratic assemblywoman and candidate for lieutenant governor has come forward detailing an unwanted encounter with Vice President Joe Biden when he campaigned for her in 2014.

Lucy Flores writes in New York magazine about her "awkward" experience with Biden, saying he grabbed her shoulders from behind, sniffed her hair and then planted a kiss on the back of her head before a campaign event. On Friday, a spokesman for Biden said that the former vice president and staff who were present do not "recall what she describes."

I have said this here more than once: Biden has a history of being overfamiliar with women and given that his handiness is widely available on YouTube he has little chance of sweeping it under the carpet. He was bloody lucky to get out when he did with his reputation intact
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274
    viewcode said:

brendan16 said:

I have said this here more than once: Biden has a history of being overfamiliar with women and given that his handiness is widely available on YouTube he has little chance of sweeping it under the carpet. He was bloody lucky to get out when he did with his reputation intact
    Bettigieg. Still available at 12.

A surprise is coming folks.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

That could boost Sanders as polling shows most Biden voters second preference is Bernie
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    isam said:

A precursor to gang violence we see today. Thamesmead from The London Programme

https://youtu.be/e0JoVZoVf1w

Stanley Kubrick famously filmed a lot of the scenes for A Clockwork Orange in Thamesmead in 1970.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/1111778998948950021

oh dear, a bit late to realise this?
  • Options
    The One Nation Tory party is finished.

Possibly the voting public don't care and will rally around, but what a terrible day for decent politics.
  • Options

Possibly the voting public don't care and will rally around, but what a terrible day for decent politics.

So is the New Labour Party then, hence CUK.

However I do not believe only One Nation Tories and Blairite Labour have a monopoly on decent politics, it is perfectly possibly for Corbynite Labour and hard Brexit Tories to be decent too whatever their political views maybe
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So is the New Labour Party then, hence CUK.

However I do not believe only One Nation Tories and Blairite Labour have a monopoly on decent politics, it is perfectly possibly for Corbynite Labour and hard Brexit Tories to be decent too whatever their political views maybe
    The lack of decency is that they will try and run someone like Grieve out of politics because they don't agree with him. The end of the broad church parties means we are heading down a very very dark alley (and Lab are no better). Sectarian, purist, non-logical, nothing matters but my narcissistic point of view ( a view that is on the whim of a few key people).

There is nothing decent about Corbynite labour.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

That could boost Sanders as polling shows most Biden voters second preference is Bernie
    Yup, provided there's no campaigning between now and Iowa and it's settled purely on early name recognition
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    It seems to me that today's vote has also killed off the People's vote campaign. The flaw in which was always the opposing position to put against Remain on the ballot paper. The most (only?) viable alternative was May's deal and can anyone really put that forward again? To do so is to admit that the only motive most were opposing was because they didn't accept the result of the first referendum. There was nothing legally binding in May's deal about future trading relationships, no only reason for opposing it was that people favoured No deal or favoured remain. Where we go in a situation where No deal is rejected utterly, May's deal is not an option, a referendum is not an option who knows? Well other than direct revoke...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

Yup, provided there's no campaigning between now and Iowa and it's settled purely on early name recognition
    Iowa. The place where dreams can sometimes die.

Bernie/Warren out...

Bettigieg in?

Despite all the certainties of money and name recognition, US primaries are places where very unlikely people/stuff can happen based on the actual voter contact in small meeting rooms.

• Options
    Bettigieg comes 3rd in Iowa. All bets are off.
  • Options
    If you take out Biden and Bernie then it is wide open

https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/1111347739806351360
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    12.78% of the UK electorate have signed this petition.

https://www.livefrombrexit.com/petitions/241584
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    AndyJS said:

12.78% of the UK electorate have signed this petition.

https://www.livefrombrexit.com/petitions/241584

It's illustrative to sort by percentage signed / not signed. Heavily remain areas have signed it, strongly leave ones haven't. There's not a "leave" voting constituency in the top 200 ranked by percentage signed.

It mirrors the 2016 referendum, it certainly doesn't show a nation that's changed it's mind on anything
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    No BREXIT on PB for over two hours !!!!!!!!

Traitors .... Betrayal .... Pinnapple Pizza ....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    edited March 2019

The Tories are now an unthinkable option for anyone under the age of 108.

They should elect Chope as leader and be done with it, focusing their energies on upskirting and furriner-baiting.

Detoxification lasted 10 years. Well done, Mrs May.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

The Tories are now an unthinkable option for anyone under the age of 108.

They should elect Chope as leader and be done with it, focusing their energies on upskirting and furriner-baiting.

Detoxification lasted 10 years. Well done, Mrs May.
    You need to get out of your echo chamber.

Hackney isn't representative of the whole country.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,315
    'The Conservative Party is a broad church not a narrow, intolerant sect.'

Can he cite any contemporary evidence to prove that assertion?
This discussion has been closed.