Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Is there a unified place where all these seat predictions based on the Exit Poll are?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    glw said:

It's possible the exit poll has been completely thrown out by the Brexit/Ukip changes.

:neutral:

I suspect highly likely. The ground has changed and I don't know if where the exit polls are done has changed.
    The BBC/ITV/Sky exit poll is conducted by asking a random sample of voters at one of 144 polling locations scattered around the country to complete in private a mock ballot paper to indicate how they just voted.
    Nearly all the locations are ones in which the 2015 exit poll was also conducted. The share of the vote recorded for each party at each polling location this time around is compared with the share obtained in the 2015 exit poll in order to derive 144 estimates of change in support for each party.
    But if the 2015 exit poll understated the Tory seats wouldn't basing the comparison of it understand Tories today?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Roger said:

Broxtowe going Labour they say

I got that at 14/1 !

Kippers not backing Soubry.

That was a good bet.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Chris said:

calum said:
    That would only mean the Tories were further away from a majority, though.
    Well that depends - I didn't spot if any SLAB gains (had to be though, right) and those ones could be wrong. But I think you're right. Could be sub 300.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

OK after the Exit Poll

I still predict TMICIPM (increased Maj)

WHAT? The exit poll can't be that wrong.
    Yes it can.
    But why would it be?
    Death of anything near UNS due to more younger voters voting, first time Brexit-voters voting, etc etc.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Apologies - has anyone answered the question about how the Exit poll samples postal voters?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Look at Emily Thornberry on ITV. She's loving life.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    glw said:

It's possible the exit poll has been completely thrown out by the Brexit/Ukip changes.

I suspect highly likely. The ground has changed and I don't know if where the exit polls are done has changed.
    The BBC/ITV/Sky exit poll is conducted by asking a random sample of voters at one of 144 polling locations scattered around the country to complete in private a mock ballot paper to indicate how they just voted.
    Nearly all the locations are ones in which the 2015 exit poll was also conducted. The share of the vote recorded for each party at each polling location this time around is compared with the share obtained in the 2015 exit poll in order to derive 144 estimates of change in support for each party.
    glw said:

In which case time will tell.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

BBC saying Tories nearly certain to capture Clwyd South, Delyn, and Wrexham, all Labour-held Brexit voting marginals with around 2000-3000 majorities. But losing likewise Brexitish Derby North, Bury North, Bolton West, South Ribble, and others, all Tory-Labour Brexit marginals.

Does this make sense???

What worries me is that the Exit Poll will be wrong, but not in a way that's good for the Tories.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Lab most seats @ 20/1 is intriguing.

I've nibbled.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    Scott_P said:

@Torcuil: Nice line from @MatthewParris3 - this is the revenge of the young for Brexit.

Yep. #millennialfightback
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Curtice on the BBC
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Sandpit said:

Sunderland south - turnout 61%.

That's very high for there isn't it?
    Something to vote for for a change?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited June 2017
    At least May managed to outlast Bonar-Law...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Houghton & Sunderland S prediction from exit poll:

Lab 68
    Con 23
    UKIP 6
    LD 2
    GRN 1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,008
    The exit poll does seem problematic - it whiffs a little, but is also plausible.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

ITEPIR and the LDs hold the "no coalition" deal, it's a Tory minority government.

No chance of LD support , post-Brexit, I think.
    Doesn't matter. May (or a successor as Tory leader) only has to resign as PM if an alternative has a majority. If LD doesn't back Corbyn, he doesn't.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    Chameleon said:

BBC saying Tories nearly certain to capture Clwyd South, Delyn, and Wrexham, all Labour-held Brexit voting marginals with around 2000-3000 majorities. But losing likewise Brexitish Derby North, Bury North, Bolton West, South Ribble, and others, all Tory-Labour Brexit marginals.

Does this make sense???

No. Exit poll is fucked. Which direction however is not so clear.
    If you don't which direction it's fucked in, why are you so sure it's fucked at all?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Oliver said:

Thought Curtice would have been on the BBC by now. I want to see how confident he is in the poll.

Your wish has been granted.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Exit poll looks too good for Lab. 68 in SS sounds high.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The tories must start winning the young back.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Worcester??

Labour need a 6.7% swing

Extraordinary.

But the tories deserve to do shit. their campaign was shit, their leader was shit.

And now we're all in the shit
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    glw said:

144 polling stations or 144 constituencies?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I don't see a majority government losing its majority and then struggling on in minority status. is there comparable precedent anywhere?
  • Options

Agreed, how about fees back down to £3k?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MaxPB said:

What's weird is that in Wales the Tories are making the kind of gains we expected against Labour in working class seats but they aren't in England. Are people that different?

The population of Wales is significantly older than many parts of England, and I think with a lower level of graduates outside Cardiff.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

The youth has grown up under Tory austerity!
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Any chance we're so used to the exit poll being right we're placing too much faith in it?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2017
    Curtice rulling out Tories getting much bigger a majority than 2015 (if they get one at all).

• Options

I don't see a majority government losing its majority and then struggling on in minority status. is there comparable precedent anywhere?

Scotland? :p
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,445
    alex. said:

Apologies - has anyone answered the question about how the Exit poll samples postal voters?

They don't take account of postals.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ruth Davidson is currently favourite on Betfair for next Conservative Leader.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Curtice thinks we can rule out

- Con landslide
    -Labour largest party

Thinks that Con leader will be PM
    Thinks we can't rule out Con majority
  • Options
    SeanT said:

LOL

So what's new with you?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

OK after the Exit Poll

Yes it can.
    But why would it be?
    Death of anything near UNS due to more younger voters voting, first time Brexit-voters voting, etc etc.
    But to be out by 30-50 Tory seats that would require? Come on.
  • Options
    Remember that the Millennials are a bigger cohort than the Baby Boom.

As I pointed out earlier today...
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chameleon said:

Does this make sense???

No. Exit poll is fucked. Which direction however is not so clear.
    If you don't which direction it's fucked in, why are you so sure it's fucked at all?
    Because the predicted gains are pretty odd, with identical places a few km either side of a border flipping opposite ways.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    edited June 2017
    The regional sub samples of the exit poll feel off, I could imagine Mike Katz getting Hendon but Labour gain Finchley feels beyond possibility. At the same time the Tories sweeping through North East Wales,I don't see it.
    AHMatlock said:

Wouldn't miss Gobby Soubry in Broxtowe, but am sceptical that we have done that much better in Wales and Scotland if the result is so poor in the English marginals.

It would be interesting if English Labour have done better than in Wales and Scotland considering both Jones and Dugdale have been at pains to distance themselves from Corbyn.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Chris_A said:

I have a horrible feeling the final result will be worse than this for May and the Tories.

We can live in hope. I'll be several thousand quid poorer tomorrow but it'll be worth it.
    I'll be £100s poorer (net) on my bets if it's really NOM. But my business will do better under a non-Tory govt. Staying fully or half in the EU (Norway-style) is a plus.

Swings and roundabouts.

aka: betting as insurance.
  • Options
    Anyone else seen that Wonder Woman film? It's pretty good.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    viewcode said:

...a Lab-SNP coalition could be viable...

OH FUCK. IF THAT HAPPENS WE'RE GREECE WITH NUKES.
    Don't worry we wouldn't use them
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

I got that at 14/1 !

The drinks are on you! Shame it had to be the nicest Tory though
  • Options
    If this exit poll is correct, what sort of figures should we be looking for in Sunderland and Newcastle?

Increased Labour majorities? Or is it too MoE to make any determinations?
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    Bridget Phillipson looks a bit peeved but maybe she just always looks like that.
  • Options

The exit poll does seem problematic - it whiffs a little, but is also plausible.

Having looked at it more, it looks like tactical voting against the SNP, plus a youth turnout, plus overcompensation by many opinion pollsters, could explain this result.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Charles said:

But if the 2015 exit poll understated the Tory seats wouldn't basing the comparison of it understand Tories today?

I think if people were voting the same way as last time you would theoretically expect a very similar degree of error. Of course a lot has happened since then, Brexit and of course Corbyn and May
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

Reuters reporting May saying she will go if she does not get 320, so could be PM Hammond by weekend on that basis

LOL I think the Tories will want her out even in that scenario.
    We will see but she could get a majority with DUP if on 320+. If she is below that she would need LD support and only Hammond could get that on a soft Brexit platform. Otherwise Tories go into opposition with Boris leader on a full Brexit platform, Corbyn becomes PM in pact with SNP, PC, SF , SDLP, Greens etc and he does soft Brexit,
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Alistair said:

A lightweight (figuratively) joke artist? That would be a big mistake.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Instead of eating them?? (only kidding!)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Torcuil: Nice line from @MatthewParris3 - this is the revenge of the young for Brexit.

That's what I was thinking. The seat pattern looks bizarre and unprecedented - a bit like Brexit, but in reverse.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    rcs1000 said:

HaroldO said:

isam said:

Basically we are where we were 3 years ago except we are leaving the EU

A Coalition agreeing on EEA/EFTA soft Brexit may well work.

Think of this for a moment; In order to get that we need to hand over fishing rights say, the SNP say "no" as they want control back with them in Holyrood and know that if they hand them back to the EU there would be uproar at the next election. Where do we go from there?

With FPTP you need strength and strength alone, you cannot govern in coalitions in the long term. This is why I support a change to AV or PR to try and change our politics.
    Norway and Iceland are not members of the CFP and have full control of their waters.
    But would we get the same though, that is my point. We are not them, our waters have been EU controlled for a long time would they be willing to piss of their own fishing industries to help us. The myriad of hurdles ahead makes my head hurt.
    Fuck it, I'm off to bed.
  • Options

If this exit poll is correct, what sort of figures should we be looking for in Sunderland and Newcastle?

Houghton & Sunderland S prediction from exit poll:

Lab 68
    Con 23
    UKIP 6
    LD 2
    GRN 1
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Freggles said:

As much as I love politics.... if we have another election this year it's going to be utterly febrile

I don't think I can cope.
  • Options

alex. said:

Well that could make a massive difference couldn't it? How many youngsters use postal votes? Won't that exaggerate the presumed assumption that postal votes reflect the wider electorate?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    tlg86 said:

William_H said:

Wow, we might go Labour here in Milton Keynes South according to the exit poll. Majority of nearly 9000 and 8000 UKIP supporters. Would be amazing.

What I'm worried about is that the Tories have been targeting the wrong seats.
    Of course they have. They've spent years building a coalition of roughly centrist voters. May went on a walking holiday in Wales and decided to throw the whole thing up in the air and target a whole bunch of different voters with only 6 weeks notice.
  • Options
    LDs aren't going anywhere near the Tories after the coalition. Might not go near Labour either tbh.

Labour may only have SNP/Green/PC to rely on.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Current mood: smug.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

68% for Labour in the first Sunderland seat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

OK after the Exit Poll

Yes it can.
    But why would it be?
    But to be out by 30-50 Tory seats that would require? Come on.
    Very, very unlikely, I concede, I just hope that the next Tory leader isn't a greying cardboard cutout, or Boris.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Reuters reporting May saying she will go if she does not get 320, so could be PM Hammond by weekend on that basis

LOL I think the Tories will want her out even in that scenario.
    We will see but she could get a majority with DUP if on 320+. If she is below that she would need LD support and only Hammond could get that on a soft Brexit platform
    Go for that platform and half the parliamentary party doesn't go with him.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Would love it if Amber Augusta Rudd has lost. I think she'll hang on though.
  • Options
    OliverOliver Posts: 33

Curtice rulling out Tories getting much bigger a majority than 2015 (if they get one at all).

May is finished.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @krishgm: This could also be the start of a slow unravelling of Brexit (if the poll is right!)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Who did this exit poll? Survation?? :lol:
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Could end up with that, PM Boris with Lib Dem support putting an EEA/EFTA plan through.
    Five years EFTA/EEA followed by a referendum on the status post that? Wouldn't be a dumb decision.
    EU would v likely go for that and wd get a huge majority in parliament so not a bad idea at all
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Tories had 1 seat in Wales & Scotland combined in 1997 didn;t they?

Now they'll have over 20 won;t they?

Amazing
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    DanSmith said:

Cheers (and to RobD)
  • Options
    YouGov, Survation

I'm sorry.

Yours sincerely, Miss A
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

LDs aren't going anywhere near the Tories after the coalition. Might not go near Labour either tbh.

If the exit poll is dead on it's another election.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Typo said:

Bridget Phillipson looks a bit peeved but maybe she just always looks like that.

She represents a place that gets competitive about counting bits of paper, you can't blame her.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scotland? :p
    Ah, yes, ok good point! Still, it was not quite the same fall from grace as the tories now (although the SNP now is also suffering a huge fall from grace if this is right)
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

It won't be anywhere near that in a safe seat where Labour are a banker.

Ignore the result from the two Tyne/Wear seats.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Floater said:

viewcode said:

...a Lab-SNP coalition could be viable...

OH FUCK. IF THAT HAPPENS WE'RE GREECE WITH NUKES.
    Don't worry we wouldn't use them
    Oh good. I was worried for a bit... :(

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Alistair said:

She's the tories best hope with David Davis for now.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

alex. said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    If the exit poll is even SLIGHTLY optimistic for the Conservatives, we are headed for parliamentary gridlock.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The Rotherham Star:
    "New: Labour sources say they are confident of holding all three Rotherham seats."

well, thanks!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    HaroldO said:
    Fuck George Osborne. Fucking idiot. He took all of those jobs and left parliament. Fucking tool. He could be PM by Monday if he had run.
  • Options
    Newcastle and Sunderland aren't exactly running at their normal speed. Recount?
  • Options
    If we get Soft Brexit/no Brexit - my dad will be mad. I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Good to see our DUP friends! :lol:
  • Options

Liberals will go in with Labour with single market as a price. That's my current thinking.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Just need Tory major of 2 to win bet.....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

@KayBurley: Ladbrokes 5/4 on that May replaced as Tory leader before Christmas

Should read, before lunchtime

LOL
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,445

alex. said:

But in 2010 they got the Tories spot on.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Nah, Tory minority or 'progressive' alliance minority
  • Options

Having looked at it more, it looks like tactical voting against the SNP, plus a youth turnout, plus overcompensation by many opinion pollsters, could explain this result.
    So my wittering on about Lusser's Law might be correct! ;)

• Options

alex. said:

It's based on swing though, not raw votes, so if postals swing approximately the same way as on the day, it is right.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Whatever you think it's fascinating. No declarations yet. Turnout higher than expected?
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Indeed. No one will go into coalition with Tories
  • Options

RobD said:

Yeah, a leadership election right now would be sub-optimal, lol.

What's GO up to? :p
    #Priti4Leader

Go on Tories, you know it makes sense.
    Yes please!
    +1
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    glw said:

Charles said:

I think if people were voting the same way as last time you would theoretically expect a very similar degree of error. Of course a lot has happened since then, Brexit and of course Corbyn and May
    The exit pollsters will have noted the slight errors last time and adjusted slightly for them .
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I got that at 14/1 !

That was a good bet.
    My longest shot is Lab take Cambourne and Redruth, the most WWC Cornish constituency at 40/1. It may be close.

I based this on the Cornwall live poll that showed nearly all Cornish seats TCTC.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Who did this exit poll? Survation?? :lol:
    Hey Sunil, maybe you haven’t been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Could end up with that, PM Boris with Lib Dem support putting an EEA/EFTA plan through.
    Totally happy with that. Fuck off Theresa, you silly woman
    UKIP would surge if that was the result but I would also accept that having voted Remain last year. May to be fair to her voted Remain but decided to give the Brexit voting North and Midlands the immigration controls they voted for, if they have not voted for that and to give May the mandate she needed for hard Brexit as a Tory I am now tempted to say sod the North and Midlands, let's have as soft a Brexit as possible and flood the North and Midlands with Poles and Estonians and Romanians!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    We'll be stuck with the pension triple lock until it bankrupts us anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MaxPB said:

Fuck George Osborne. Fucking idiot. He took all of those jobs and left parliament. Fucking tool. He could be PM by Monday if he had run.

Why would he want that?

Whoever is PM on Monday is in deep shit
This discussion has been closed.