Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six hours or so before we start to get an idea

Comments

• Options

RobD said:

Jonathan said:
    Sounds like an administrative nightmare.
    So very EU
    It is a very strange suggestion. If for example the UK adopted fairly strict immigration rules - and of course I hope they don't - then effectively there would be a hontinuation of freedom of movement for UK citizens whilst there were restrictions on all other EU citizens entering the UK. It would greatly help the UK whilst harming the EU.

I just don't see how it is workable
  • Options
    If anyone was following the discussion RCS and I had yesterday about household debt and student loans:

' the comforting official view on UK household and in particular unsecured credit has been strongly influenced by the removal of student loans from it in the summer of 2012. Otherwise today’s headline would be household debts are now circa £1.6 trillion. '

https://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com/2016/11/07/it-is-time-to-put-student-loans-back-in-the-uk-debt-numbers/

I'm sure I'm not the only PBer who remembers when £10bn was considered 'big money'. But now a £100bn can be removed from the household debt data and it's hardly noticed.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,110

619 said:
    What a surprise. Did he really not see that this is what would happen and chances are the Left will rally against it and the whole thing will be a riot.

And to what purpose?

Parliament is not going to block A50.
    Do you really think Farage wants Brexit to go smoothly and be a big success?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
    Chris said:

Can anyone explain to me why VoteCastr's early vote for Florida is 3,685,667, when the official figure is about 6.5 million?
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/08/votecastr_early_vote_estimate_clinton_leads_in_florida.html

I can't make sense of their figures at all.

By "early vote" they mean in-person. Yes, this is very confusing since it can be used to refer to all ballots cast early including mail. Vote by mail is often treated seperately however.

Even worse different states have different terminology, some will still call vote by mail "absentee ballots" etc.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    edited November 2016
    JackW said:

Frank Luntz on Channel 4 News on his reports - Clinton 95% chance of winning.

When, and more to the point, why, did the British media appoint Luntz as the foremost authority on US politics ?
    (Incidentally, I think his hair looks less real than Trump's.)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2016
    I know I've got burned by the S.Carolina Primary early exit poll figures:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/exit-polls-what-do-voters-want-230935

" Early exit polls: Voters say they want a ‘strong leader’ "

cough "Trump" cough

"Asked what characteristic is most important for the next president, 36 percent of voters say they want a “strong leader,” 29 percent want “a vision for the future,” 16 percent want someone who “cares about people like me” and another 16 percent said they want someone who “shares my values.” "
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,872

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Now remember, folks: boozing and betting don't mix well. It's one or the other tonight, right?

Really? I can't get through an all nighter without it.

Maybe thats just an Oxford thing....
    It's a Hertsmere thing too. :-)
    I don't touch booze...the devil's water....I haven't touched a drop since, um, now let me think how long ago....oh yes, three PM this afternoon when I had a very nice grappa to finish off a lovely Italian lunch....
    ooh I love grappa,

used to get lots of it in Germany at my favourite italian restaurant
    It is seriously moreish...which at 40% and convivial company has led to some brutal hangovers.

In Venice when I went they gave free bottles of Limoncello to diners at the end of their meals. We were never sure how much we were supposed to drink so took no chances and had plenty.

The best post-dinner drink, of course, is the carajillo they serve in Spain - an espresso with a shot of brandy dropped in on top. Absolutely delicious and very, very dangerous.

Limoncello tastes like toilet cleaner.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Speedy said:

cough "Trump" cough

"Asked what characteristic is most important for the next president, 36 percent of voters say they want a “strong leader,” 29 percent want “a vision for the future,” 16 percent want someone who “cares about people like me” and another 16 percent said they want someone who “shares my values.” "

The low "shares my values" could be good for either candidate.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

cough "Trump" cough

cough * South Carolina * cough
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I'm watching votecstr...it looks quite credible. I don't understand their methodology ...but they have some maps and stuff and the people seem quite sensible.

And it's saying the same as Jack's ARSE
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961

Speedy said:

cough "Trump" cough

Reread @Speedy 's post more carefully please.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I'm watching votecstr...it looks quite credible. I don't understand their methodology ...but they have some maps and stuff and the people seem quite sensible.

And it's saying the same as Jack's ARSE

They have maps and "sensible" people... they must be right ;)
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    To paraphrase another contributor

Heart says Clinton
    Head says Clinton
    Gut says Clinton..

Clinton landslide.. The yanks really are not all total idiots...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

I haven't posted a 270 prediction, so here's my risque prediction:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/bWwbA

Looks a bit 1976 in reverse.

Please no, don't let this be the result!

On second thoughts, if this is the result, can we let Barry stay for a third term?
    I'd go with my idea of passing a Bill to put the American clocks back 2 years, and start over with new candidates. Meanwhile, as it's only 2014, Obama has two more years left to serve.....
    Cher has been out on the campaign trail for Hillary. "If I could turn back time..."
    Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves?

That's an elaboration on Deplorables, I guess.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

That's me pretty much. This is not like Brexit because I knew without a shadow of a doubt that leave would win. But this one just feels bad. Trump is so utterly ill-suited to becoming president, is a racist and a sexual predator and so my heart and head tell me he surely cannot do it. But my gut just keeps on saying that this is 2016 and the US is a society divided like never before. For every voter repelled by Trump's racism and misogyny, another has no problem with them and another actively likes them. If turnout is as high as people are saying it's hard to see how he loses.

Trump should have been out of this weeks ago if politics was played by traditional rules. The split Republican party alone should have spelt doom. But it didn't. He was still there in with a shout this morning. Something out there is sustaining him.

Marry that with the lack of obvious enthusiasm for Clinton and the gut rumbles.

Still the data points to Clinton.

Just as the arrogance and complacency of the Cameroons led to Brexit could the arrogance and complacency of the Clintons lead to Trump ?

If Trump was the equivalent of Boris and not Trump then the Republicans would be heading for a landslide.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Omg comedy gold.

Watch

NVElection WATCH: Court hearing - Trump suing Clark County registrar over early voting hours being extended #8NN

http://bit.ly/2bcID8U
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

cough "Trump" cough

The low "shares my values" could be good for either candidate.
    53% of voters are angry.

The rest of the numbers are also Trumpian in nature especially with Independents.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    According to votecastr Trump only winning in Florida in old, white and poor areas.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Now remember, folks: boozing and betting don't mix well. It's one or the other tonight, right?

I don't touch booze...the devil's water....I haven't touched a drop since, um, now let me think how long ago....oh yes, three PM this afternoon when I had a very nice grappa to finish off a lovely Italian lunch....
    ooh I love grappa,

It is seriously moreish...which at 40% and convivial company has led to some brutal hangovers.

In Venice when I went they gave free bottles of Limoncello to diners at the end of their meals. We were never sure how much we were supposed to drink so took no chances and had plenty.

The best post-dinner drink, of course, is the carajillo they serve in Spain - an espresso with a shot of brandy dropped in on top. Absolutely delicious and very, very dangerous.

Spanish brandy is excellent. The Iberian Peninsula really does have the world's best wines, and many of the world's best spirits.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

You means smells like toilet cleaner ?

Well I hope you do.
  • Options
    Dems are 26k ahead in Hillsborough, Bill Mitchell forgot to include the tick box to include postals.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762

Jonathan said:
    Well, that's very generous of them. I'm not sure how it squares with their stated principle that we can't cherry-pick the benefits of the EU, though.
    The no cherry picking rule applies to national negotiations. The Associate EU passport holders are dual nationals and can sail through the EEA channels while diehard Bexiteers with British passports are stuck in the Other Aliens channel sorting out their visas. It's no different, say, from dual UK and French nationality. It's a cunning plan from the EU.

Based on the discussion FPT, it's PB Leavers who are keenest on getting EU passports. Accusations of hypocrisy are of course unwarranted.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

Chris said:

Can anyone explain to me why VoteCastr's early vote for Florida is 3,685,667, when the official figure is about 6.5 million?
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/08/votecastr_early_vote_estimate_clinton_leads_in_florida.html

By "early vote" they mean in-person. Yes, this is very confusing since it can be used to refer to all ballot cast early including mail. Vote by mail is often treated seperately however.

Even worse different states have different terminology, some will still call vote by mail "absentee ballots" etc.

Thank you. Even so, it seems the figure is incomplete, as it's nearly 200,000 less than the in-person total - and actually I see now it says they haven't yet processed all the early voting data and people should check back for updates. I wonder if they'll finish it before the polls close!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dems are 26k ahead in Hillsborough, Bill Mitchell forgot to include the tick box to include postals.

Oops!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

According to votecastr Trump only winning in Florida in old, white and poor areas.

That sounds like quite a lot of areas.
  • Options
    nielh said:

This feels very brexitty.
    I've not followed the polls, but my gut says trump will win. In the last minute people would be more likely to swich to trump than back a failing status quo, in that sense it is like brexit over again.

Brexit was a one-off vote - a chance in a lifetime affair. If I knew there'd be Euroref 3 in five years' time, I might have voted Remain on a "give them one last chance" basis. As it seemed a "once in 30 years, if that" vote, I had a good think about how the EU might look in the far future, whether I'd be happy if Britain were a part of it, and left with only one palatable option. I don't know how many other Leave voters applied my logic, but the way turn-out was high among groups with poor historical voting records suggests the one-off nature of the event was important. (I accept that "every vote matters" when it's not FPTP, which also got some backsides off seats.)

Trump's anti-elitist "power to the little people" shtick channels Andrew Jackson in many ways (and incidentally his 1828 election was so scandal-ridden and rumbustious that it was believed to have caused the death of the would-be First Lady Rachel Jackson before the inauguration) but as a vehicles for the overlooked outsider go, Trump would be an ironic choice. Many regular conservative voters won't rally around him, if they manage to hold their nose to vote for him at all. HRC may be uninspiring, but is this really the little guys' last chance to stick one up to The Establishment?

It doesn't seem to me that a Clinton win will seal in the present order of things much more than, say, Obama 2012 did. Contrast Brexit, where any non-eurofederalist had to be concerned that a Remain vote could lock Britain in to a trajectory for political union for two generations, and that a campaign based on trade and the economy and only-vile-racists-could-possibly-want-to-vote-for-any-form-of-controls-on-immigration (and you're not a horrible racist now, are you?) would be used as a pretext, decades hence, of a "democratic mandate" for deeper integration. After years evading popular mood on this point, Britain's political class gave its people one chance to have their say. What do you do when you've got one shot? You hit'em where it hurts, while you still can. This may have been an extraordinary election, but four years away the US will have another. The hubbub starts in a mere 2.5 years. Republicans are understandably going big on the Supreme Court nominations, but Clinton can't realistically fix the destiny of the entire USA for the next 30 years. She's not big enough. Most likely the office of the presidency isn't big enough. As such, I doubt HRC is scary and totemic enough to bring out those once-in-a-generation voters Trump needs.
  • Options
    timmo said:

To paraphrase another contributor

Heart says Clinton
    Head says Clinton
    Gut says Clinton..

Clinton landslide.. The yanks really are not all total idiots...

They've ended up with the choice of Trump or Clinton.

Which suggests a great many of them ARE total idiots.
  • Options

Speedy said:

cough "Trump" cough

I know, if this was a GOP primary and these numbers got leaked out I would say Trump probably won.

Voters are angry and want a Strong Leader=Trump.

But this is not a GOP primary, so caution.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

I could see Trump winning Ohio, Iowa and squeaking Michigan - and perhaps getting surprisingly close in Pennsylvania - but losing Florida clearly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I hope nobody placed bets on the earlier info.
  • Options
    I don't quite agree with @Richard_Nabavi about drinking and gambling. I find that one or two beers on an election night give me the ability to relax and trust my judgement when if I'm stone cold sober I overthink things and jump too late. But only one or two, not more.

Anyway, for domestic reasons I'll be sitting this election night out and I'm arranging my betting positions accordingly. I'll be around for a while but I wish everyone a profitable evening.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

NPAs seem waaaay up in Pinellas
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    **** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

http://www.slate.com/votecastr_election_day_turnout_tracker.html
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

I don't quite agree with @Richard_Nabavi about drinking and gambling. I find that one or two beers on an election night give me the ability to relax and trust my judgement when if I'm stone cold sober I overthink things and jump too late. But only one or two, not more.

Anyway, for domestic reasons I'll be sitting this election night out and I'm arranging my betting positions accordingly. I'll be around for a while but I wish everyone a profitable evening.

I'm with you on that theory Alastair. Sorry we won't have you for the whole night - and good luck to you too!
  • Options
    JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

You are still peddling the Votecastr thing ?
  • Options
    I have just realised who Trump reminds me of and its Robert Maxwell .
    Exactly the same modus operandi and attitude to people.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    This looks great for Clinton in NV. Clark is her firewall

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/796073212920483840
  • Options
    JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Clinton landslide
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

If Hillary is relying on Florida's young, black/Hispanic wealthy - she's in trouble! Have you BEEN to Florida?
  • Options
    timmo said:

JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Clinton landslide
    If accurate, and that's a mighty big if.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is just the total early vote figure, https://countyballotfiles.elections.myflorida.com/FVRSCountyBallotReports/AbsenteeEarlyVotingReports/PublicStats
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

Spanish brandy is excellent. The Iberian Peninsula really does have the world's best wines, and many of the world's best spirits.

Could not agree more. I love my Spanish reds, but the Portuguese ones from the Alentejo and the Douro are top quality too. And then there's the fino, the brandy, anis from Chinchon ... Just avoid the gin.

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Chris said:

I'm guessing it's because they lack sufficient information on those voters to make a reliable prediction how they voted. It's a problem when you make predictive models with too many features (aka variables).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

Can you tell me what brand of toilet cleaner you get? I'd like to buy some :-)

• Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    this isnt the actions of someone winning

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/796071264347627521
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

Could not agree more. I love my Spanish reds, but the Portuguese ones from the Alentejo and the Douro are top quality too. And then there's the fino, the brandy, anis from Chinchon ... Just avoid the gin.

Avoid Romanian brandy. Bought some when I was over there, out of curiosity. Once opened and sampled, we ended up with guys brawling on the lawn!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    No posts for 4 minutes, on PB, on Election Day. Remarkable!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

What don't you understand by "HEALTH WARNING" in capital letters ?!?!?

Tsk ....
  • Options
    619 said:

There was a lot of talk of rigging before Brexit and people taking pens to the polling booths so MI5 couldn't change their votes...
  • Options
    timmo said:

More orange though.

• Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

Avoid Romanian brandy. Bought some when I was over there, out of curiosity. Once opened and sampled, we ended up with guys brawling on the lawn!
    Sounds like Šljivovica.

Or, indeed, the US election.
  • Options
    RobD said:

timmo said:

JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Clinton landslide
    If accurate, and that's a mighty big if.
    Hilarious. Or brilliant. We'll know by 6am.
  • Options

619 said:

There was a lot of talk of rigging before Brexit and people taking pens to the polling booths so MI5 couldn't change their votes...
    Indeed it motivates the base, conservatives in the US always have a bee in their bonnet about it.

In fact complaining about vote-rigging is about the most Republican thing Trump has done all election...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

My most dangerous drinking session - and my worst ever hangover - involved a bottle of absinthe in Sweden. One minute I was drinking shots of it around a camp fire, the next it was five hours later and I was waking up alone in the middle of a forest with no idea where I was. Took me until daylight to find my way home and I was ill for two days. The mosquito bites were horrific.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Chris said:

Chris said:

By "early vote" they mean in-person. Yes, this is very confusing since it can be used to refer to all ballot cast early including mail. Vote by mail is often treated seperately however.

Thank you. Even so, it seems the figure is incomplete, as it's nearly 200,000 less than the in-person total - and actually I see now it says they haven't yet processed all the early voting data and people should check back for updates. I wonder if they'll finish it before the polls close!
    And if those figures are just for in-person early votes their Clinton leads are very difficult to make sense of. Their estimated Clinton lead for early [in-person] vote is 2.8%, compared with 4% based on party registration in the official figures. Possible if Trump had a lead of 6% among unaffiliated voters,

Presumably that 2.8% lead would go down considerably when postal votes were added, because the Republicans were ahead in those.

But the live figure shows a Clinton lead of 3.7%, despite the fact that the total number of voters shown is only 800,000 more than the 6.5m early voters of both categories, and the expectation has been that the Clinton lead would be cut back on polling day.

Perhaps not worth the time to figure it out?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Speedy said:

JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Tsk ....
    Although its a bit rubbish model that is exactly what the polls were showing for most of the race.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I think I'm going to bed for a while until we are close to getting results.
  • Options
    The Kincannon Show ‏@kincannon_show 37m37 minutes ago

Trump should be declared the victor by about 9:45 tonight, based on the exit poll data I have.

Blimey
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump should be declared the victor by about 9:45 tonight, based on the exit poll data I have.

Blimey

How reliable is he?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

My most dangerous drinking session - and my worst ever hangover - involved a bottle of absinthe in Sweden. One minute I was drinking shots of it around a camp fire, the next it was five hours later and I was waking up alone in the middle of a forest with no idea where I was. Took me until daylight to find my way home and I was ill for two days. The mosquito bites were horrific.

Absinthe makes the heart.... stop.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Blimey

How reliable is he?
    I'm guessing he has a Trump show to ramp :)
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited November 2016

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

You mention horrific mosquito bites. When you came to in the middle of the forest, were you still clothed ?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

If Hillary is relying on Florida's young, black/Hispanic wealthy - she's in trouble! Have you BEEN to Florida?
    LOL. (Are you being serious, I can't tell with thus election anymore).
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

You mention horrific mosquito bites. When you came to in the middle of the forest were you still clothed ?

Shorts and T-shirt.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Blimey

How reliable is he?

https://twitter.com/kincannon_show/status/796071808281755649

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2016
    JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Looking as if they are ARSE aficionados!

May I also commend Metaxa XO special reserve brandy. Hard to get, but worth the search and very distinctive. I plan a little tipple later for medicinal purposes.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Blimey

How reliable is he?

Oh dear. Look at his reply to Glen Oglaza. Best to ignore.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/kincannon_show/status/796068915877183488

Rigged election seems to be a Trumper get out clause...
  • Options
    nunu said:

JackW said:

Speedy said:

JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Tsk ....
    Although its a bit rubbish model that is exactly what the polls were showing for most of the race.
    Their model will be analysed to within an inch of a hanging chad after the election come what may.

My attitude is that I link to to the information and allow PBers to make their own mind up. After all I posted the LA Times tracker and Rasmuusen too ..... :smiley:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Speedy said:

Mortimer said:

I think I'm going to bed for a while until we are close to getting results.
    Good idea I think - three or four hours of zeds are in order. Laters!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey

Well whoever he is, he is predicting that Trump will win before polls close in Nevada.

There are a lot of rumours going around Twitter regarding exit polls, including the Votecastr thing, but the only concrete evidence we have is the Politico Exit Poll that feels Trumpy on first sight.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    timmo said:

It's almost exactly 25 years since he fell off his yacht. November 5th 1991.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

You mention horrific mosquito bites. When you came to in the middle of the forest were you still clothed ?

Shorts and T-shirt.

It's a mercy that you'll never know what occurred in those five lost hours.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

How reliable is he?

Mad as a box of frogs left close to the fire.

I think he once advocated concentration camps as a policy for dealing with transgenders.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

Speedy said:

JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Tsk ....
    Their model will be analysed to within an inch of a hanging chad after the election come what may.

My attitude is that I link to to the information and allow PBers to make their own mind up. After all I posted the LA Times tracker and Rasmuusen too ..... :smiley:
    I thought you did that for purely entertainment value.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    We got something from Naples, FL.
    In the primaries it gave us a good idea for who won Florida.
    https://twitter.com/Afterseven/status/796071523601641472

Romney won them 65-35 and 58-41, that is a higher victory margin for Trump there.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Jonathan said:
    And for some light relief on what is going to be a very grim night for us all whatever the outcome:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcXM6tfe9YM

Best of luck on the betting positions, because that's the only way anyone will be smiling tomorrow.

Alas I have marking to do.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's rigged.
  • Options
    JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Looks like it's rigged.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    nunu said:

Omg comedy gold.

Watch

NVElection WATCH: Court hearing - Trump suing Clark County registrar over early voting hours being extended #8NN

http://bit.ly/2bcID8U

It's rigged I tell you.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Blimey

How reliable is he?

He's quite crazy.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

Shorts and T-shirt.

It's a mercy that you'll never know what occurred in those five lost hours.

Ha, ha :-D

• Options
    AndyJS said:
    And out himself as a traitor to all the Brexiteers. Thanks Nige.
  • Options
    JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

Speedy said:

JackW said:

**** HEALTH WARNING ****

Votecastr numbers :

CO - C 47 .. T 42
    FL - C 49 .. T 45
    IA - C 45 .. T 46
    NV - C 47 .. T 44
    OH - C 46 .. T 45
    PA - C 48 .. T 44
    WI - C 49 .. T 43

Tsk ....

It's a first effort; no doubt it will be better in four years' time ?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

nielh said:

This feels very brexitty.

Brexit was a one-off vote - a chance in a lifetime affair. If I knew there'd be Euroref 3 in five years' time, I might have voted were a part of it, and left with only one palatable option. I don't know how many other Leave voters applied my logic, but the way turn-out was high among groups with poor historical voting records suggests the one-off nature of the event was important. (I accept that "every vote matters" when it's not FPTP, which also got some backsides off seats.)

Trump's anti-elitist "power to the little people" shtick channels Andrew Jackson in many ways (and incidentally his 1828 election was so scandal-ridden and rumbustious that it was believed to have caused the death of the would-be First Lady Rachel Jackson before the inauguration) but as a vehicles for the overlooked outsider go, Trump would be an ironic choice. Many regular conservative voters won't rally around him, if they manage to hold their nose to vote for him at all. HRC may be uninspiring, but is this really the little guys' last chance to stick one up to The Establishment?

It doesn't seem to me that a Clinton win will seal in the present order of things much more than, say, Obama 2012 did. Contrast Brexit, where any non-eurofederalist had to be concerned that a Remain vote could lock Britain in to a trajectory for political union for two generations, and that a campaign based on trade and the economy and only-vile-racists-could-possibly-want-to-vote-for-any-form-of-controls-on-immigration (and you're not a horrible racist now, are you?) would be used as a pretext, decades hence, of a "democratic mandate" for deeper integration. After years evading popular mood on this point, Britain's political class gave its people one chance to have their say. What do you do when you've got one shot? You hit'em where it hurts, while you still can. This may have been an extraordinary election, but four years away the US will have another. The hubbub starts in a mere 2.5 years. Republicans are understandably going big on the Supreme Court nominations, but Clinton can't realistically fix the destiny of the entire USA for the next 30 years. She's not big enough. Most likely the office of the presidency isn't big enough. As such, I doubt HRC is scary and totemic enough to bring out those once-in-a-generation voters Trump needs.
    good points, but I think you are underestimating the state of panic and anxiety that people feel now: the status quo isn't delivering for them, and there are no options to change course. take back control etc.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Jonathan said:
    Well, that's very generous of them. I'm not sure how it squares with their stated principle that we can't cherry-pick the benefits of the EU, though.
    The no cherry picking rule applies to national negotiations. The Associate EU passport holders are dual nationals and can sail through the EEA channels while diehard Bexiteers with British passports are stuck in the Other Aliens channel sorting out their visas. It's no different, say, from dual UK and French nationality. It's a cunning plan from the EU.

Based on the discussion FPT, it's PB Leavers who are keenest on getting EU passports. Accusations of hypocrisy are of course unwarranted.
    Erm no. Since the UK would still be outside Schengen it would be no different to the way it us now. Anyone who has travelled through any European airport from the UK knows there is little additional benefit from holding an EU passport when entering the Schengen zone.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    AndyJS said:
    Suddenly, he supports the right of unskilled people to move to richer countries for employment...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

You sound like a Trump kinda guy......
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

You are @SeanT and I claim my fiver. Did you think your friend was dead as well?
  • Options

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Erm no. Since the UK would still be outside Schengen it would be no different to the way it us now. Anyone who has travelled through any European airport from the UK knows there is little additional benefit from holding an EU passport when entering the Schengen zone.
    There's a big additional benefit between having an EU/EEA passport and, say, a Russian passport.
  • Options
    Morning Consult/Politico exit poll of early and election day voters (18 Oct - 8 Nov) Sample 9,704 :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/early-exit-poll-clinton-ground-game-230943?lo=ut_a1

• Options
    Speedy said:

We got something from Naples, FL.
    In the primaries it gave us a good idea for who won Florida.
    https://twitter.com/Afterseven/status/796071523601641472

Romney won them 65-35 and 58-41, that is a higher victory margin for Trump there.

The theme of Trump outperforming Romney and Clinton underperforming Obama is likely to dominate proceedings.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

LOL. (Are you being serious, I can't tell with thus election anymore).
    To be honest, even I have lost track of whether I'm being serious in this election....
  • Options
    Another votecastr fuckup:

"Update: 3:06 p.m.: The state maps previously displayed on this page represented only Election Day data but not early vote estimates. They have been removed and will be reposted when they are updated."

Like I said before, great idea, terrible presentation.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Morning Consult/Politico exit poll of early and election day voters (18 Oct - 8 Nov) Sample 9,704 :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/early-exit-poll-clinton-ground-game-230943?lo=ut_a1

This is worrying for Clinton:

• Options
    JackW said:

A very Trumpy exit poll, voters are angry and want a strong leader, it joins the exit poll from Naples Florida on the scales for Trump.

The only thing that goes for Hillary so far is the Votecastr thing.
This discussion has been closed.