Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six hours or so before we start to get an idea

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    MikeK said:
    I guess burning crosses are kind of awkward to carry about.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Maybe now is the right moment to discuss the merits of AV.

It wouldn't be my first choice of voting system but could certainly win my transfer.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan said:

Maybe now is the right moment to discuss the merits of AV.

Good idea, we have an empty couple of hours ahead of us.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    I don't think Trump is going to win!

But you never know

#ge2015
    #brexit

:lol:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    I have put £150 on Trump@10/3 from Ladbrokes. I have absolutely no idea whether he is going to win or not (and at this point I really don't care, to be honest) but I assume USD will go south if he wins and (as you know) I've been getting into dollars recently, so this minimises my losses. Min-min: an essentially cautious approach but that's life.

Incidentally, I got a roar of approval from the counter: I forgot that Ladbroke's livery was red... :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Let me guess, the result will be 'too close to call' until well beyond the point where an eight year old child can see that Clinton has the win in the bag?

Just a shame the betting and financial markets are rather less likely to be all tuned in to the BBC than they were on that night back in June....
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The power of PB: I've had a small bottle of Limoncello sat in the cupboard for 3 years. On the back of previous posts, I've just opened it and taken a glug. Bloody awful!

Next up is the bright red, 50% by volume "Fuoco di Sicilia" bought at the same time...

...not quite as bad, but I think I'll stick to Single Malt in future.

You have to keep it in the freezer and drink it subzero.
    Which one?
    The limoncello. I've never heard of Fuoco di Sicilia, is it legal ?
    I am guessing that this will be a red coloured Italian liqueur created by infusing herbs and rose petals in strong alcohol, likely to be at least 50 per cent or possibly stronger. I would save that for if Trump wins, if I were you. At least then its strength and likely appalling taste will help you quickly take your mind off earthly things.
    Probably inseparable from Mr Muscle in a blind tasting. Best kept for unloved relatives.
    You're bound to have tasted it on visits to your family.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Dromedary said:

DavidL said:

If we do get a high turnout tonight (and I remain to be convinced) then we will have conclusive proof that fear is a greater motivator than hope. The number of people who are voting in this election for positive reasons must be small indeed. Fear rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccolò_Machiavelli
    The Prince is one of the funniest books I have read. There are searing insights into human psychology on every page overlain with a profound cynicism based on bitter experience.
    It's slightly disturbing that lots of people don't realise the prince is a searing satire/attack.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Evening all - my thoughts on the end result.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/7n66y

key points:
    - Trump does as well in rust belt as predicted, high WWC turnout

- Low AA turnout in the south means Clinton fails to flip the states there, but does get AZ as Latino turnout will be high.

- 'tactical voting' by Dems in Utah compiles with Mormon disgust for trump, and McMullin pulls through.

- Florida just goes to Trump. Latino population balanced out by old white population, plus the fact that latinos in florida are more cuban/conservative generally.

Thoughts on plausibility?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Andrew said:

Chris said:

That's strange. I'm looking at http://www.slate.com/votecastr_election_day_turnout_tracker.html?live=true
    and still seeing Clinton ahead in all seven states shown there.

The slate graphics are broken, you need to go to.....

http://votecastr.us/widgets/#/states/CO

(replace last with FL IA NV NH OH PA WI)
    Well the votecastr results look wrong compared with the Naples exit poll, they have Trump winning there 55-39 instead of 62-34:

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/11/08/2016-general-election-ndn-unofficial-exit-poll-results-collier-lee/93195286/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    viewcode said:

I have put £150 on Trump@10/3 from Ladbrokes. I have absolutely no idea whether he is going to win or not (and at this point I really don't care, to be honest) but I assume USD will go south if he wins and (as you know) I've been getting into dollars recently, so this minimises my losses. Min-min: an essentially cautious approach but that's life.

Incidentally, I got a roar of approval from the counter: I forgot that Ladbroke's livery was red... :)

Why not take 9-2 at Betfair :/ ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,878
    Somebody wake TSE up and tell him to get back to work!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Ave_it said:

I don't think Trump is going to win!

But you never know

#ge2015
    #brexit

Good evening sir!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Can we stop talking about alcohol please?

Thanks. :(

(though I might open a bottle to drown my sorrows tomorrow if Trump wins)

Have you gone "dry" Josias?
    Medically dry. Mind, it could be worse: you could be discussing Scotch. :)
    Maybe you'll be able to give yourself a wee dram on NYE?

Hope your treatment is progressing OK? :)
    Yeah, fine thanks. As for a wee dram: I'll just stop the medication for Christmas. ;)
    Ermm, for what sort of period over Christmas? Just thinking that I am going to have to be going up to see my God-Daughter in Cambridge at that sort of period and it would be good to buy you a proper drink. Lunchtime in the Baron of Beef perhaps?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dromedary said:

DavidL said:

If we do get a high turnout tonight (and I remain to be convinced) then we will have conclusive proof that fear is a greater motivator than hope. The number of people who are voting in this election for positive reasons must be small indeed. Fear rules.

The Prince is one of the funniest books I have read. There are searing insights into human psychology on every page overlain with a profound cynicism based on bitter experience.
    I bought a copy about ten years ago but it's been gathering dust on my shelf ever since.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Let me guess, the result will be 'too close to call' until well beyond the point where an eight year old child can see that Clinton has the win in the bag?

Just a shame the betting and financial markets are rather less likely to be all tuned in to the BBC than they were on that night back in June....
    I think in 2008, Dimbleby had to ask one of the BBC panel whether Obama had in fact "won" because California was "likely" to vote for him. They have been utterly useless on election nights for several years now.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The power of PB: I've had a small bottle of Limoncello sat in the cupboard for 3 years. On the back of previous posts, I've just opened it and taken a glug. Bloody awful!

Next up is the bright red, 50% by volume "Fuoco di Sicilia" bought at the same time...

...not quite as bad, but I think I'll stick to Single Malt in future.

You have to keep it in the freezer and drink it subzero.
    You have to drink it with a view of the Tyrrhenian Sea and never but ever bring a bottle home. If you can see the sea and provided it is sunny and warm at that moment, Limoncello tastes like the nectar from the gods (particularly if you are female at the time).

At all other times and in all other locations it tastes like toilet cleaner.
    I think I fail on all those criteria. However, I can't conceive how it could ever taste nice.
    I've sipped it overlooking Lake Como. That has to count, and it still tastes rank.
    There is one called mandorino (or something like that) made of oranges that can be even more nectar-like on the spot, but sadly also turns to toilet cleaner if it is taken through an X-ray machine.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

Dromedary said:

DavidL said:

I bought a copy about ten years ago but it's been gathering dust on my shelf ever since.
    Dig it out, you can probably get through it before the first results arrive.
  • Options
    Good evening Jobabob and all my friends on here!

And to Remainers too!

• Options
    Jobabob said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

I think in 2008, Dimbleby had to ask one of the BBC panel whether Obama had in fact "won" because California was "likely" to vote for him. They have been utterly useless on election nights for several years now.
    LOL
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

key points:

- Low AA turnout in the south means Clinton fails to flip the states there, but does get AZ as Latino turnout will be high.

- 'tactical voting' by Dems in Utah compiles with Mormon disgust for trump, and McMullin pulls through.

- Florida just goes to Trump. Latino population balanced out by old white population, plus the fact that latinos in florida are more cuban/conservative generally.

key points:

Not really, the early vote data shows no drop off of AA turnout, and he ain't getting Pennsylvania with Philadelphia turnout high.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Can we stop talking about alcohol please?

Thanks. :(

(though I might open a bottle to drown my sorrows tomorrow if Trump wins)

Have you gone "dry" Josias?
    Medically dry. Mind, it could be worse: you could be discussing Scotch. :)
    Maybe you'll be able to give yourself a wee dram on NYE?

Hope your treatment is progressing OK? :)
    Yeah, fine thanks. As for a wee dram: I'll just stop the medication for Christmas. ;)
    Ermm, for what sort of period over Christmas? Just thinking that I am going to have to be going up to see my God-Daughter in Cambridge at that sort of period and it would be good to buy you a proper drink. Lunchtime in the Baron of Beef perhaps?
    That might be very nice. Going to spend Chrissy up in Derbyshire, but Mrs J might have to work between Chrissy and New Year, so we migth be down here then.I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Andrew said:

OK, votecastr have un-fubared their numbers, and they're starting to converge on the 538 final polling model, with one big exception: Florida.

Clinton lead, 538/VC (% of expected vote accounted for)

CO: +3.1 / +3.0 (80.3%)
    FL: +0.6 / +3.0 (83.9%)
    IA: -2.9 / -1.0 (66.5%)
    NV: +1.2 / +1.0 (68.8%)
    NH: +3.6 / +4.0 (61.9%)
    OH: -1.9 / -1.0 (73.7%)
    PA: +3.7 / +3.0 (63.2%)
    WI: +5.3 / +5.0 (62.0%)

Make of that what you will :-)

That's strange. I'm looking at http://www.slate.com/votecastr_election_day_turnout_tracker.html?live=true
    She has fallen behind in OH on the raw data maps (which are more recent I think). She has a handy lead in FL etc.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Andrew said:

Chris said:

The slate graphics are broken, you need to go to:
    http://votecastr.us/widgets/#/states/CO
    (replace last with FL IA NV NH OH PA WI)

It really shouldn't be this difficult for us :-)
    Thanks. It is rather shambolic.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Right, I've abandoned the Sicilian fire water and switched to Cuba Libre.

A fitting tribute to Obama's legacy.
  • Options
    As many votes cast in pinellas as in entirety of 2012
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Jobabob said:

Chris said:

Andrew said:

OK, votecastr have un-fubared their numbers, and they're starting to converge on the 538 final polling model, with one big exception: Florida.

She has fallen behind in OH on the raw data maps (which are more recent I think). She has a handy lead in FL etc.
    Where are the details of the poll they're cross-referencing?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    I want to know the results.

The KKK haven't gone away you know.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Chris said:

Andrew said:

Where are the details of the poll they're cross-referencing?
    No idea!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Stepped away for an hour, what have I missed? Has the Trump Train done one of these:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

I'm in remotest Perigord, dying of foie gras poisoning. Can anyone tell me, in two lines, WTF is going on and who's gonna win? Surely it's Clinton?

Merci.

Trump is heading for a landslide victory.
    So just keep eating.
    LOL!
  • Options
    Trying to cut my drinking so current discussions aren't great.

Gonna make a peppermint tea. That'll work ;-/
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The analysis from votecastr.....is that the early returns showed bigly Hillary leads. But this was mainly due to the fact that the Democrat staff were a bunch of dope smoking, target driven lazy arses who basically got all those voters with Hillary tattooed on their foreheads to the early polls. On voting day, the Trumpers are coming out.

Another view...is that their model is shit...and that someone is looking at Nate's 538 and trying to tack their made up vote shares onto his....

And basically they are as clueless as anyone else..... and......
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Vic Reeves said he became hooked on Dadaism when he was a student. He belonged to a band which had no name but they smelled of curry.....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Why not take 9-2 at Betfair :/ ?
    I work away from home and stay in digs on weekdays. I don't have secure nor reliable internet access. Given that and a rather poo-making experience involving the 2012 French Presidential, I am not comfortable with online betting. It's a bit of a disability and one I hope to overcome by 2020, but until then offline betting suffices.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Not really, the early vote data shows no drop off of AA turnout, and he ain't getting Pennsylvania with Philadelphia turnout high.

Turnout is also high outside of Philadephia, so beware.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited November 2016
    So where to watch? BBC haven't a clue, CNN will spin out their exit poll with BREAKING NEWS for hours, Fox, yeah maybe not, the dumb jerks banging on about Bernie, again I think not....
  • Options
    nunu said:

key points:

key points:

Yes the very high turnouts reported in Philly block off a lot of routes for him, it would seem.
  • Options
    tyson said:

The analysis from votecastr.....is that the early returns showed bigly Hillary leads. But this was mainly due to the fact that the Democrat staff were a bunch of dope smoking, target driven lazy arses who basically got all those voters with Hillary tattooed on their foreheads to the early polls. On voting day, the Trumpers are coming out.

Another view...is that their model is shit...and that someone is looking at Nate's 538 and trying to tack their made up vote shares onto his....

I like the second analysis.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Jobabob said:

Chris said:

Andrew said:

Yes - 1% behind in Iowa and Ohio, where they reckon they have seen 2/3 and 3/4 of the vote respectively.

I'm not saying I trust the numbers, but it's still nothing like what would be expected if Trump was going to paint the mid-West red.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

LOL
    Since that very moment @Pulpstar I turned over, and have never come back.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Stepped away for an hour, what have I missed? Has the Trump Train done one of these:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

It's just votecastr.
  • Options
    The Land of Trump's grandfather..

https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/796085716317011968
  • Options
    Sky News blathering on about how awful Trump is.
  • Options
    BBC seem to be following the ARSE. Reporters in the key states of Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. I am sure I have read that suggestion before.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Speedy said:

Well the votecastr results look wrong compared with the Naples exit poll, they have Trump winning there 55-39 instead of 62-34:

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/11/08/2016-general-election-ndn-unofficial-exit-poll-results-collier-lee/93195286/

Good spot. That poll is in Collier and parts of Lee - comparing VC with 2012, Lee looks about right, but Collier was +35 in 2012.

Maybe they lack data in particular counties? Hard to guess, they're not providing info at that level. Or maybe another screwup - their Florida numbers are the furthest away from 538 polls, after all......
  • Options
    Speedy said:

nunu said:

I don't care he still ain't getting it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Speedy said:

nunu said:

Philly will be for Clinton, West Penn more for Trump. I think Dem hold:

My little effort:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/VNjpk

I hope I am right with Alaska but not too critical.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Speedy said:

Good spot. That poll is in Collier and parts of Lee - comparing VC with 2012, Lee looks about right, but Collier was +35 in 2012.

Maybe they lack data in particular counties? Hard to guess, they're not providing info at that level. Or maybe another screwup - their Florida numbers are the furthest away from 538 polls, after all......
    I don't know how many people they got, 100 perhaps ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Or this:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/c7/f8/a6c7f8ee2e396583838f9815def589c5.jpg

(ISTR there was a similar one somewhere in Yorkshire (Bradford?), but am having trouble finding the piccie.

Though this one takes some explaining ...
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/73/6e/59/736e5981dde3db3d67d59b52e63b74e9.jpg
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    If this sample is representative, about 1 in 4 voters were contacted by the Clinton campaign and 1 in 6 by Trump's, with 1 in 12 contacted by both.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,297
    Is anyone able to access the 538 election blog?

I just get a blank grey screen. The rest of the site is working perfectly.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2016
    tyson said:

like laugh.
    added: Listening to Beethoven piano late sonatas here. They seem aggressive enough.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Good evening Jobabob and all my friends on here!

And to Remainers too!

we're not worthy
  • Options

RobD said:

Or this:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/c7/f8/a6c7f8ee2e396583838f9815def589c5.jpg

(ISTR there was a similar one somewhere in Yorkshire (Bradford?), but am having trouble finding the piccie.
    Same train, different angle ;)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

So where to watch? BBC haven't a clue, CNN will spin out their exit poll with BREAKING NEWS for hours, Fox, yeah maybe not, the dumb jerks banging on about Bernie, again I think not....

Sky? Thats what I am planning.

Fortunately lecturing tommorow so not too taxing!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dromedary said:

If this sample is representative, about 1 in 4 voters were contacted by the Clinton campaign and 1 in 6 by Trump's, with 1 in 12 contacted by both.

Five million conversations anyone? :p
  • Options
    The BBC always seem to spend great amounts on visual graphics without being able to use them to illuminate what's going on.
  • Options

David Dimbleby always used to present the BBC's coverage but I think he's not doing it this year.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

So both focussed on their base with fairly minimal efforts even with independents, let alone those thought to be opposed.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    nunu said:

Speedy said:

nunu said:

I don't care he still ain't getting it.
    yeah, If philly votes are high PA is off the the tabls
  • Options
    Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

David Dimbleby always used to present the BBC's coverage but I think he's not doing it this year.
    Andrew Neil is always value and you can't say he knows nothing about the US
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    AndyJS said:

Brillo is presenting from New York.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,435
    AndyJS said:

He is 178 years old ;)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    It's all a bit of a puzzle at the moment.

C
    L
    I
    N
    T R U M P
    O
    N

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Speedy said:

nunu said:

Philly will be for Clinton, West Penn more for Trump. I think Dem hold:

My little effort:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/VNjpk

I hope I am right with Alaska but not too critical.
    I don't think at this stage you can say Penn is a Dem hold......

I think even if Clinton wins, I have a hunch that there will be a couple of surprises. I hope your Alaska is one....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Oh, I may want to tune in to that.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Shall we talk football until we get the proper exit polls?
  • Options
    Benchmark Politics ‏@benchmarkpol 5m5 minutes ago
    First exit polls in 44 minutes according to cnn. #ElectionDay
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

I vote NO.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

My fantasy football season is not going well.
  • Options

They haven't got one of their obnoxious countdown timers, have they? :D
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Don't mention that either!!!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Mine is going superbly.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Oh Dear ..... that's 18 ECV's off PB.com in-house expert's forecast of Clinton's tally, but elsewhere he's looking good.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

In my fantasy season there isn't any football.
  • Options

My poor heart
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

26 years...Will be 27 and counting at the end of the season :lol:
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Mine is going superbly.
    Too late!!!!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited November 2016

AndyJS said:

I'd to see Neil interview Trump . Brillo and shredded wheat. I'm guessing it's through the Caledonian genes.n
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

I've given up on that. My fantasy NFL season seems to be going the same way.
  • Options
    The BBC's summary video of the campaign is horrific.
  • Options
    GarzaGarza Posts: 45
    Bill MitchellVerified account
    @mitchellvii
    Based upon what I am seeing from Tampa and numbers have remained stead all day, Hillary will lose Florida and badly.
  • Options

The BBC's summary video of the campaign is horrific.

Well both candidates are horrific.
  • Options
    Garza said:

@mitchellvii
    Based upon what I am seeing from Tampa and numbers have remained stead all day, Hillary will lose Florida and badly.

Welcome to the madhouse that is PB
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

I've given up on that. My fantasy NFL season seems to be going the same way.
    Don't give up = we all know Liverpool and TSE will collapse come 2017.
  • Options

Of the one-handed leprechaun lesbians variety?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Mine is going superbly.
    Too late!!!!
    The good news is I am editing PB this evening and I've got some awesome puns, and a KLF reference or two.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Mine is going superbly.
    Too late!!!!
    The good news is I am editing PB this evening and I've got some awesome puns, and a KLF reference or two.
    Nothing seismic ever happens when you are editing PB, does it?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Mine is going superbly.
    Too late!!!!
    I hope your betting book won't reference their performance art.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it forecasts....

Trump gain Ohio!

Mine is going superbly.
    Too late!!!!
    Jack W is expecting once again to be justified and ancient.
  • Options
    Garza said:

@mitchellvii

Lets see. 4:30pm Florida time. Is it after work yet? No? Let's wait a bit.
  • Options
    Garza said:

@mitchellvii

Bill Mitchell hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
This discussion has been closed.