Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six hours or so before we start to get an idea

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

@JackW THe Jill Stein figure in Nevada makes me think that votecast might not have the finest of tuned engines.

Perhaps Trabant as opposed to Rolls Royce ....

An interesting experiment but the danger is that in the absence of firm evidence any information will do.
    They were fools to do this if the data can't be interpreted correctly.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Rumours that evangelical turnout is going to be the highest since Reagan

All groups are up in almost every state.

Pennsylvania is expecting 80% turnout.

I think we are going to see the battle of the turnouts, young vs old, working class vs rich, minorities vs whites, just like......Brexit ?
    Young people won't turn out.

They NEVER do.
    Actually in american presidential elections since 2004 they do turn out, some polls though had their turnout dropping to 1996 levels.

But the opinion polls seem to be wrong about the estimated turnout levels in general it seems so who knows.

If young voters don't turn out Hillary is doomed, her lead comes exclusively out of people under the age of 40.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Most forecasts are projecting the Democrat national vote lead to be roughly the same as 2012. They're predicting a swing to the GOP in the north-east and mid-west, which is pretty much cancelled out by a swing to the Democrats in the western half of the country. The south-east is predicted to stay about the same as before.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,872
    nielh said:

This feels very brexitty.
    I've not followed the polls, but my gut says trump will win. In the last minute people would be more likely to swich to trump than back a failing status quo, in that sense it is like brexit over again.
    As much as I detest trump, I'm not sure HRC would do a good job as president, it is impossible task she would be taking on.

I still expect Clinton to win, but wouldn't be surprised if she didn't. I think the margin will be tighter than 3.5%, hence my prediction of 279-259 in the ECV. Why so close?

1. Republican voting intention in the generic ballot has shot up over the past fortnight, and support for Republican Senators has remained strong. Split-ticket voting still exists, but the vast majority of Republican voters will vote Trump, if through gritted teeth. I don't think this is going to be a 1996 type election.

2. Populist insurgent and/or right wing candidates are generally doing a bit better than polls imply. That suggests there's a stigma to admitting voting that way, which ends in the privacy of the polling booth.

3. The zeitgeist favours someone like Trump over Clinton.

I've put £25 on Trump at 4-1. I think he has a better chance than that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,110
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

@JackW THe Jill Stein figure in Nevada makes me think that votecast might not have the finest of tuned engines.

Perhaps Trabant as opposed to Rolls Royce ....

An interesting experiment but the danger is that in the absence of firm evidence any information will do.
    They were fools to do this if the data can't be interpreted correctly.
    If you could remap their demographic voting pattern data against a poll of your choice it would be more useful. As it is it's garbage in, garbage out.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Another Govt defeat in the Lords today - on Children & Social Work Bill.

Govt making a big effort - Lab + LD have 55 more Peers than Con - but Con cut that deficit to just 8 due to much higher turnout.

However Crossbenchers broke significantly against Govt - resulting in Govt defeat by 32.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/lords/lords-divisions/
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Right - after a few hours voting, and due to popular (well, just Ajobbob), here is my final map:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/wOLG9

Mine would be similar if I could be bothered to do it. The Orangeman is heading to the White House. Jack's Arse will fail for the second time in a row ;-)

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Most forecasts are projecting the Democrat national vote lead to be roughly the same as 2012. They're predicting a swing to the GOP in the north-east and mid-west, which is pretty much cancelled out by a swing to the Democrats in the western half of the country. The south-east is predicted to stay about the same as before.

LEAVE won the Brexit vote by a margin of 3.8%

Will Hillary's margin be even closer?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Govt making a big effort - Lab + LD have 55 more Peers than Con - but Con cut that deficit to just 8 due to much higher turnout.

However Crossbenchers broke significantly against Govt - resulting in Govt defeat by 32.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/lords/lords-divisions/

What's the current composition of the Lords, if you have it handy? Do you know how far the LDs have fallen since their peak?
  • Options
    This is useful from Nate Silver. Not.

"3) Basically, these 3 cases are equally likely
    a—Solid Clinton win
    b—Epic Clinton blowout
    c—Close call, Trump *probably* wins Elect. Coll."

twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/796017809096667136
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Pulpstar said:
    Somebody reads PB.

I've been asking whether this is a possibility for some time.

Good evening everyone. May your wins be large and your losses small.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Harry Enten of 538 with a timely warning about "leaked" exit poll information :

"We’re now three and a half hours until we get our first look at exit poll data. That data is currently under quarantine. I remember a time, however, when that data could leak it out. Back in 2004, the very first wave of exit polls suggested by mid-afternoon that Democrat John Kerry was well on his way to defeating Republican President George W. Bush. Many people believed that the exits were right, and it even caused massive movement in the stock market. It turned out that the data was wrong. The exit polls overestimated Kerry’s support, and Bush went on to to win a small but comfortable victory.

That should serve as a lesson both at 5 p.m. and now. We won’t know who is going to win until the votes are actually counted. Don’t believe in reports you read online that supposedly give you a keen insight of who is going to win. No one knows."
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Sandpit said:

I just don't believe that the average Leave voter is irrational, intolerant and prone to violence.

The average Leave voter isn't. Some will be though, led on by Farage and the Daily Express.
    At which point the average Leave voter will recoil in horror and the Brexit coalition will disintegrate.
    Which is exactly what Clegg and friends are trying to achieve. It's as nakedly transparent as La Sturgeon's attempts at getting the English to tell Scotland to f.off and enjoy their independence.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

The only way Trump wins is by taking Pennsylvania and Michigan. Not very likely but not impossible.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,364
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

What's the current composition of the Lords, if you have it handy? Do you know how far the LDs have fallen since their peak?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords

HM Government
    Conservative Party (255)

HM Most Loyal Opposition
    Labour Party (206)

Crossbench
    Crossbenchers (182)

Other groups
    Liberal Democrats (104)
    Non-affiliated (25)
    Democratic Unionist Party (3)
    UK Independence Party (3)
    Ind. Labour (2)
    Ulster Unionist Party (2)
    Green Party (1)
    Ind. Social Democrat (1)
    Ind. Ulster Unionist (1)
    Plaid Cymru (1)

Lords Spiritual
    Bishops (26)
    (sits with government)
  • Options
    nielh said:

I've not followed the polls, but my gut says trump will win. In the last minute people would be more likely to swich to trump than back a failing status quo, in that sense it is like brexit over again.
    As much as I detest trump, I'm not sure HRC would do a good job as president, it is impossible task she would be taking on.

Trump will be a hugely powerful president - with both Congress and the Supreme Court on his side. He can do a hell of a lot of harm very easily.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Surprisingly, none of my mates wanted to eat with me this evening when I said I might be a little preoccupied by the election....

Can't think why. Surely a smartphone with the betfair app up is de rigeur in Chelsea, these days?
  • Options
    JackW said:

"We’re now three and a half hours until we get our first look at exit poll data. That data is currently under quarantine. I remember a time, however, when that data could leak it out. Back in 2004, the very first wave of exit polls suggested by mid-afternoon that Democrat John Kerry was well on his way to defeating Republican President George W. Bush. Many people believed that the exits were right, and it even caused massive movement in the stock market. It turned out that the data was wrong. The exit polls overestimated Kerry’s support, and Bush went on to to win a small but comfortable victory.

That should serve as a lesson both at 5 p.m. and now. We won’t know who is going to win until the votes are actually counted. Don’t believe in reports you read online that supposedly give you a keen insight of who is going to win. No one knows."

Instead we have votecastr.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with startup firms with ridiculous names ending in "r" rather than "er"
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Pulpstar said:
    Somebody reads PB.

I like this bit:

"Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was “an outrage”."
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

In my GOP Primary-GE election theory it's natural, since Trump was strong east of the Mississippi while being weak west of it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

The only way Trump wins is by winning Pennsylvania and Michigan. Not very likely but not impossible.
    Fl and the rustbelt?
  • Options
    I was supposed to be having a sleep this evening but it hasn't worked out that way...
  • Options

AndyJS said:

LEAVE won the Brexit vote by a margin of 3.8%

Will Hillary's margin be even closer?
    Probably a bit closer.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 255, Lab 206, LD 104, Crossbench 182, Others 39, Bishops 26

LDs haven't fallen much - they've had a few retirements in the last year but not many.

LDs benefit from fact about half of their current Peers (ie approx 50) were appointed since 2010 so all of these are still pretty young (by Lords standards!).
  • Options
    TW1R64TW1R64 Posts: 56
    edited November 2016
    I wouldn't resort to violence but I would be extremely angry and disillusioned with our democracy.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I just don't believe that the average Leave voter is irrational, intolerant and prone to violence.

The average Leave voter isn't. Some will be though, led on by Farage and the Daily Express.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Surprisingly, none of my mates wanted to eat with me this evening when I said I might be a little preoccupied by the election....

Can't think why. Surely a smartphone with the betfair app up is de rigeur in Chelsea, these days?

Chelsea? Some Russians have a lot at stake on this.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Chelsea? Some Russians have a lot at stake on this.
    One of their candidates is running.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:

are u reconsidering your forecast?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:

I was supposed to be having a sleep this evening but it hasn't worked out that way...

Me too - models suggest I will pass out at 6am, before waking with my head on the desk, drooling a little.
  • Options
    Now remember, folks: boozing and betting don't mix well. It's one or the other tonight, right?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Hope Clinton can do it, not that I expect her to be a good president but the thought of a maniac like trump leading the most powerful nation on earth is a terrifying prospect for the world.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:
    If a Brit comes home waving his Associate EU Member passport would he be subject to the new standard UK visa requirements for EU citizens?
    Would it still be 'home'?
  • Options

nielh said:

Trump will be a hugely powerful president - with both Congress and the Supreme Court on his side. He can do a hell of a lot of harm very easily.

How?
    The GOP Congress hates him.

Trump would probably function as an independent President, think Ross Perot if he had won in 1992.
  • Options

Now remember, folks: boozing and betting don't mix well. It's one or the other tonight, right?

Really? I can't get through an all nighter without it.

Maybe thats just an Oxford thing....
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Sound advice Richard.......My 2008 winnings were almost wiped out

But Richard you can talk the talk....but can you walk the walk?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

JackW said:

I'm getting more and more annoyed with startup firms with ridiculous names ending in "r" rather than "er"
    I've been out all day - please can somebody advise exactly what "votecastr" is?

How much notice should we take of it?

If any notice - can anyone summarise what it has said so far?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I haven't posted a 270 prediction, so here's my risque prediction:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/bWwbA

Looks a bit 1976 in reverse.
  • Options
    619 said:

are u reconsidering your forecast?

ARSE4U is firm and pert ....

• Options
    Mortimer said:

It's a Hertsmere thing too. :-)
  • Options
    Is there a book on how quickly Clinton will win the Nobel Peace Prize if elected?
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sound advice Richard.......My 2008 winnings were almost wiped out

But Richard you can talk the talk....but can you walk the walk?

I'll go easy (both on the booze and the betting). My position is basically set up, but I do need to correct if it looks like either a Clinton landslide or a convincing Trump win.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Interesting, very similar to my thoughts but with AZ and NV flipping DEM.
  • Options

So are we all preped for a bigly night?

[Bill Paxton voice] I am ready, man! Ready to GET IT ON!
    Or is it more a case of "Game over, man! Game over!"
  • Options
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Sounds like an administrative nightmare.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Oh for heavens sake.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:
    So very EU
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Jonathan said:
    Excellent news for us Europhiles!

Saves me dragging up Irish ancestors.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:
    Let's call the whole thing off?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

I've been out all day - please can somebody advise exactly what "votecastr" is?

How much notice should we take of it?

If any notice - can anyone summarise what it has said so far?
    Seriously -- expand the last thread and then do a search on it. But the short answer is not much; it looks like they guess voters' demographics and use that to guess how they voted.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Pulpstar said:
    Somebody reads PB.

I like this bit:

"Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was “an outrage”."
    Indeed, don't get that at all.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    HRC will win by 4%. Boring.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I don't touch booze...the devil's water....I haven't touched a drop since, um, now let me think how long ago....oh yes, three PM this afternoon when I had a very nice grappa to finish off a lovely Italian lunch....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

Interesting, very similar to my thoughts but with AZ and NV flipping DEM.
    I also have Arizona and Nevada going DEM, but Michigan, FL, NC, NH and Maine CD-2 going REP.

I think Maine's CD-2 going Trump is likely based on the N.H. midnight vote, northern rural N.H. is similar to Maine's CD-2.

Democratic strength in the West, Republican strength in the East is my basic assumption.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Please no, don't let this be the result!

On second thoughts, if this is the result, can we let Barry stay for a third term?
  • Options

RobD said:

Jonathan said:
    For the EU, not for us! Although I wonder if they could do this without the UK government's consent?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    edited November 2016
    619 said:
    There's a 'white' candidate and an orange one. He must be for Hillary, right?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Well, that's very generous of them. I'm not sure how it squares with their stated principle that we can't cherry-pick the benefits of the EU, though.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

Pulpstar said:
    Somebody reads PB.

I like this bit:

Indeed, don't get that at all.
    I don't get it either. It surely in their interests. Free movement. One way. And only for those that want/need it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

I don't touch booze...the devil's water....I haven't touched a drop since, um, now let me think how long ago....oh yes, three PM this afternoon when I had a very nice grappa to finish off a lovely Italian lunch....
    ooh I love grappa,

used to get lots of it in Germany at my favourite italian restaurant
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 255, Lab 206, LD 104, Crossbench 182, Others 39, Bishops 26

LDs haven't fallen much - they've had a few retirements in the last year but not many.

LDs benefit from fact about half of their current Peers (ie approx 50) were appointed since 2010 so all of these are still pretty young (by Lords standards!).
    Thanks! Attrition not as high as I would have hoped (obviously not wishing an untimely demise on any of their individual lordships)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

On second thoughts, if this is the result, can we let Barry stay for a third term?
    If that is the result then faithless electors will come to choose, or Paul Ryan.
  • Options
    I noticed votecastr has admitted to some glitches in it's "data gathering"......my hunch is those glitches are probably lawyers threatening them with all sorts.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Caffe coretto?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    tyson said:

I noticed votecastr has admitted to some glitches in it's "data gathering"......my hunch is those glitches are probably lawyers threatening them with all sorts.

[12:00 EST] Our Nevada results showed Jill Stein with ~1.7. She is not on the ballot but was included in our survey which is used to develop the model. We messed up and we are correcting the Nevada results accordingly.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

That's me pretty much. This is not like Brexit because I knew without a shadow of a doubt that leave would win. But this one just feels bad. Trump is so utterly ill-suited to becoming president, is a racist and a sexual predator and so my heart and head tell me he surely cannot do it. But my gut just keeps on saying that this is 2016 and the US is a society divided like never before. For every voter repelled by Trump's racism and misogyny, another has no problem with them and another actively likes them. If turnout is as high as people are saying it's hard to see how he loses.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502

RobD said:

Jonathan said:
    Thankfully that's exactly what we're doing! Bon Voyage EU - it's been average.
  • Options

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

It is seriously moreish...which at 40% and convivial company has led to some brutal hangovers.

• Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Wow. Grappa. Serious stuff.

If Trump wins I will drown my sorrows at about 4am tomorrow with a Šljivovica.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

If that is the result then faithless electors will come to choose, or Paul Ryan.
    "Someday we might look back on this and decide that Saving Paul Ryan was the one decent thing we were able to pull out of this whole godawful, shitty mess."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

I'd go with my idea of passing a Bill to put the American clocks back 2 years, and start over with new candidates. Meanwhile, as it's only 2014, Obama has two more years left to serve.....
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

[12:00 EST] Our Nevada results showed Jill Stein with ~1.7. She is not on the ballot but was included in our survey which is used to develop the model. We messed up and we are correcting the Nevada results accordingly.
    They are becoming a joke. I hope they are totally discredited by this.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

I'd go with my idea of passing a Bill to put the American clocks back 2 years, and start over with new candidates. Meanwhile, as it's only 2014, Obama has two more years left to serve.....
    Cher has been out on the campaign trail for Hillary. "If I could turn back time..."
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

That's me pretty much. This is not like Brexit because I knew without a shadow of a doubt that leave would win. But this one just feels bad. Trump is so utterly ill-suited to becoming president, is a racist and a sexual predator and so my heart and head tell me he surely cannot do it. But my gut just keeps on saying that this is 2016 and the US is a society divided like never before. For every voter repelled by Trump's racism and misogyny, another has no problem with them and another actively likes them. If turnout is as high as people are saying it's hard to see how he loses.

I agree.
    As I mentioned:

https://twitter.com/mcall/status/796067117523173376

In 2012 it was 65%.
    And as you see in the above picture they are all white and none of them young.
  • Options
    Votecastr is giving loads of data now........

Looking very good for Hillary....Jack's ARSE
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

Trump should have been out of this weeks ago if politics was played by traditional rules. The split Republican party alone should have spelt doom. But it didn't. He was still there in with a shout this morning. Something out there is sustaining him.

Marry that with the lack of obvious enthusiasm for Clinton and the gut rumbles.

Still the data points to Clinton.

• Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

ooh I love grappa,

It is seriously moreish...which at 40% and convivial company has led to some brutal hangovers.

In Venice when I went they gave free bottles of Limoncello to diners at the end of their meals. We were never sure how much we were supposed to drink so took no chances and had plenty.

The best post-dinner drink, of course, is the carajillo they serve in Spain - an espresso with a shot of brandy dropped in on top. Absolutely delicious and very, very dangerous.

• Options
    619 said:
    What a surprise. Did he really not see that this is what would happen and chances are the Left will rally against it and the whole thing will be a riot.

And to what purpose?

Parliament is not going to block A50.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Can anyone explain to me why VoteCastr's early vote for Florida is 3,685,667, when the official figure is about 6.5 million?
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/08/votecastr_early_vote_estimate_clinton_leads_in_florida.html

I can't make sense of their figures at all.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    TW1R64 said:

I wouldn't resort to violence but I would be extremely angry and disillusioned with our democracy.

I believe and hope that no civil unrest would be generated, but you are right about the disillusionment.

After so many habitual non-voters turned out because they were told that this time their vote really counted; their votes were counted, indeed apparently did count; but then to find out they can be over-ruled & ignored.

What is the point of voting?

(But sorry, didn't mean to side-track the thread)

edited to try to sort the blockquotes
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    AnneJGP said:

Pulpstar said:
    Somebody reads PB.

The annual membership fees you'd have to pay to Brussels for the privilege might be a bit off-putting.....!
  • Options
    Frank Luntz on Channel 4 News on his reports - Clinton 95% chance of winning.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Votecastr is giving loads of data now........

Looking very good for Hillary....Jack's ARSE

They have Democrats winning Hillsborough though - Seems to be trending GOP according to twitter...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

I agree.
    As I mentioned:

In 2012 it was 65%.
    A few women. Also, which city? What time?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

And to think Betfair had a dump on Trump based on the Votecastr figures.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

I'll co-sponsor your bill! There's so many reasons to wish 2016 was just a long dream.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RobD said:

They've made a bit of a mess of it, yes. Overstretched I guess, as a result of the tie-up with Slate. They're forced to produce a whole raft of presentational stuff, and seemingly they lack the skills and/or manpower to do that in real time.

The shame is the basic idea is good. The campaigns use this same method on election day, so as to direct their efforts to where they're most needed.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

619 said:
    Eh? It's still about 10 hours until Nevada polls close
    I think it was yesterday, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Trump - he has no idea what is going on tbh.
    The law is that polling stations stay open until everyone who was in the queue has voted. There was a long queue on the last day of EV and they kept the polling station open until they had all voted. This is just Trump kicking sand to muddy the waters. *Mixed metaphor warning
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:
    Dual citizenship. I guess it would be hugely popular. Although as Richard N says, it would be a very nice cherry to pick.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,430
  • Options
    619 said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

I agree.
    As I mentioned:

In 2012 it was 65%.
    Looks early morning based on the shadows.
  • Options
    619 said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Head says Clinton
    Heart says Clinton
    Gut says Trump

I agree.
    As I mentioned:

In 2012 it was 65%.
    Looks like Trumpers to me.
  • Options
    Encouraging to hear reports of high turnout - good for democracy given the circumstances. It could easily have been under 50%.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    Chris said:

Can anyone explain to me why VoteCastr's early vote for Florida is 3,685,667, when the official figure is about 6.5 million?
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/08/votecastr_early_vote_estimate_clinton_leads_in_florida.html

I can't make sense of their figures at all.

I think the explanation is in the article:

As of this moment, VoteCastr has not yet made estimates for every early voter; they are still processing a large number of early votes in Florida, for instance.

So presumably it means that they've got data on large numbers of voters and they can match the names to an existing profile, which they can then use to predict how people will vote.

In principle that should work very well. But of course, it all depends on (a) how good their profiling is at predicting the voting behaviour, and (b) whether there is a systematic bias in whether they can match a voter to a profile. I'd expect the second of these to be potentially a serious problem.
This discussion has been closed.