Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s finding You Can’t Always Get What EU Want

Comments

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,211

Theory - Cameron has spent the campaign getting big business and organisations to endorse remain. The majority of people, especially outside the SE, work for small / medium enterprises who complain the most about eu redtape & stupid regs.

Little Englanders.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    RodCrosby said:

Boulton: "catastrophe" for Pollsters, "they've mucked up again!"

I think the only explanation is that they — the pollsters — live in a London bubble from which they can't escape no matter how hard they try.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,106
    edited June 2016

News reader on Beeb sounding like a funeral dirge.

BBC and ITV in funeral mode.
    I don't think BBC are in funeral mood, they are just reporting it and recognising enormity of this.
    Get used to it, this is the kind of paranoia that motivates the Nats who are now in charge.

It's rootless cosmopolitans versus decent people from now on. And when LEAVE fails to satisfy the latter? Prepare.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,806
    Pollsters?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,612
    AndyJS said:

B'ham:

Remain: 223,451 (49.6%)
    Leave: 227,251 (50.4%)

Asians for leave doing it again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,369
    hunchman said:

Lady on ITV saying 'all the celebrities were for remain. How dare the people go against them!!!!!!'

If anything sums up the arrogance of the remain camp then that is it!

Not all, Joan Collins, Sol Campbell, John Cleese, Liz Hurley amongst those for Leave
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,905
    FF43 said:

This is a Greek style OXI referendum. People vote against austerity with the guarantee that in doing so they will get more of it.

But democracy must be respected. It can't and shouldn't protect people from stupid decisions. So Article 50 here we come and we'll hopefully make the best of the options open to us.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,079
    Working class Labour voters must have gone massively for Leave.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

I feel sick. I'm a Remainer, who is now collecting my winnings on Leave.

I'm in the same position.

And to kick the boot in, our winnings are worth less.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2016
    BBC Brussels correspondent can't believe his luck. Cheshire cat. He's going to be famous.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Thrak said:

Nikkei over 7% down. Hmm...

Tell me I'm a panic-merchant but I wouldn't be surprised by another 'Lehmans' moment happening in the near future.
    It will do when the sovereign debt crisis gets going and they're holding the bag. Deutsche Bank already below the 2008 lows.
  • Options
    Is there a book on a 2nd referendum?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,006
    Thrak said:

Nikkei over 7% down. Hmm...

Yep, we're in for quite a ride.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Incredible

Best political night of my life. Beats even 2015 - and by a great distance.

WE WON

Tired. Happy. Apprehensive. I've waited 41 years to get my say on the EU. I agree with you, if Labour hadn't ducked the referendum over Lisbon, this wouldn't have happened.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Boulton: "catastrophe" for Pollsters, "they've mucked up again!"

I think the only explanation is that they — the pollsters — live in a London bubble from which they can't escape no matter how hard they try.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    Next Step: Article 50.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Dumfries in. Every single local authority area in Scotland voted remain. This will put huge pressure on Nicola to act.

Shetland voted Leave but if Scotland goes so be it, England and Wales have made their decision for Leave, Scotland for Remain, no point preserving a Union now broken
    Shetland voted remain.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Exit polling in Primrose Hill is an amusing sideline from this - some serious comfort polling by the City ?

Confession: I LIED. I told her I was REMAIN. Hence the City's overconfidence
    You tinker :p
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pong said:

I'm in the same position.

And to kick the boot in, our winnings are worth less.
    The pound in your pocket won't be affected.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The media in London really don't understand what the F just happened!
    It's ****ing hilarious, but so clearly demonstrates precisely why the vote has turned out the way it has.
    John Harris did warn the bubble what was about to happen.

My own experience over last few weeks campaigning for Remain in Notts is that this was no surprise.
    Plaudits to John Harris.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MaxPB said:

Holy shit, we've left the EU.

I'm in shock - like winning the National Lottery!

YIPPEEE!
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Wonder if some of those EU leaders are starting to regret making any concessions to the UK as they face the loss of their second-largest net contributor?
  • Options
    EPG said:

I don't think BBC are in funeral mood, they are just reporting it and recognising enormity of this.
    Get used to it, this is the kind of paranoia that motivates the Nats who are now in charge.
    I think we're all used to criticism of BBC - fair to say that privately I guess a lot of them will be devastated by this but my view, as a Leaver, that Dimbleby and co have been throughly professional in handling it.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    Sean_F said:

And sadly they are going to bear the brunt of the recession.

Their only hope is a Labour government which is now very possible in the next few months.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited June 2016
    One Million Vote Lead.

Undeniable message - we are OUT. Goodbye Brussels.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,263
    Kay Burley now doorstepping Boris!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Working class non voters even more so.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

AndyJS said:

B'ham:

Remain: 223,451 (49.6%)
    Leave: 227,251 (50.4%)

Asians for leave doing it again.
    Yes. Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs all voting the same way. Asians also seemingly felt the East Europeans were cutting their earnings. Bad news coming up.
  • Options
    How apt that the great 309 year cycle of the rise and fall of civilisations strikes again, as it has done throughout history. 1st May 1707 was the coming of the Union between Scotland and England. The 309.6 year cycle projected 5th /6th December for a major major change. Well its arrived 5.5 months early.

Not bad I think!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,432
    LucyJones said:

Wonder if some of those EU leaders are starting to regret making any concessions to the UK as they face the loss of their second-largest net contributor?

Concessions? They're more likely to be furious that Cameron told them it would be a formality and they just needed to go through the charade to create a narrative for the UK media.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    It's like a horror movie at the moment. Just look at all that red.

http://uk.investing.com/currencies/gbp-usd
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,043
    Was gonna go to bed, but now want to see reactions from PM, the EU Presidents etc.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,728
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

This is a Greek style OXI referendum. People vote against austerity with the guarantee that in doing so they will get more of it.

But democracy must be respected. It can't and shouldn't protect people from stupid decisions. So Article 50 here we come and we'll hopefully make the best of the options open to us.
    "The majority have no right to do wrong!" - Eamonn de Valera, 1922.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Bucket of water Boris.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

It's ****ing hilarious, but so clearly demonstrates precisely why the vote has turned out the way it has.

My own experience over last few weeks campaigning for Remain in Notts is that this was no surprise.
    Plaudits to John Harris.
    Perhaps John harris should just become a pollster....seems a right out Moneymaker...£500k to be 12% out in a two horse race.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

I agree BBC have actually been quite balanced.
  • Options
    Burley trying to knock-up "the next PM" on Boris's doorstep...
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 44
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Plaudits to John Harris.
    It was a really outstanding and honest piece of journalism by John Harris. Got out the metropolitan office away from his Metropolitan colleagues and did great illuminating work in the field.
  • Options
    Goodbye Scotland. Keep sending the whisky.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    It's the most sensational night in British politics since 1945 and probably just as seismic.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That was obvious when Sunderland and Newcastle came in. It was equally obvious that they were being excluded (or their effect downgraded) from the opinion polls.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

And I'm shoulder to shoulder with them. I'm still in WTF mode.
  • Options
    Chukka ranting. Desparate. Talking about Trump.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Well, not the result I wanted personally, but you can't deny the will of the people freely expressed... Britain must now harness all its talents and show that we can be a beacon for progressive capitalism... open our doors to the very brightest from around the world... cut business taxes and invest aggressively in the infrastructure to support entrepreneurs... redouble efforts to improve education and smash class barriers to potential... sharpen incentives to work but protect the less able... and above all get out there and sell our product, skills and knowledge in every corner of the world...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,022
    edited June 2016
    Should Osborne's replacement bring Mervyn back to BoE for a bit?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

Leave almost a million ahead.

Ola!!

Isn't this beyond incredible?! :love:
    Incredibly stupid. Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.

I guarantee within months there will be a massive swing back as the recession tears through jobs, mortgages and pension plans. A disaster.
    How about talking about to make this work instead of talking Britons down for once.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Another humiliation for the City 'experts'.

That's my consolation for today.
  • Options
    24 hours ago, I fully expected a narrow REMAIN win, but this is incredible.
  • Options

EPG said:

I think we're all used to criticism of BBC - fair to say that privately I guess a lot of them will be devastated by this but my view, as a Leaver, that Dimbleby and co have been throughly professional in handling it.
    I spoke too soon. Apparently both the media AND pollsters are unbellyfeeling oldthinkers from London who don't understand decent people. London is the new Babylon.
  • Options
    Now what was it that Boris said about if the ball was to.come loose from the back of the scrum.
  • Options
    GBPUSD into the 1.33's!!!!!!
  • Options

So am I. 'Course they'll just about cover the cost of a tank of petrol but next week but hey ho.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,919
    Circuit breaker kicks in on Nikkei futures.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Exit polling in Primrose Hill is an amusing sideline from this - some serious comfort polling by the City ?

Confession: I LIED. I told her I was REMAIN. Hence the City's overconfidence
    You were flirting! :)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Keith Vaz!
  • Options
    Keith Vaz sounding funereal on BBC.
  • Options

LucyJones said:

Concessions? They're more likely to be furious that Cameron told them it would be a formality and they just needed to go through the charade to create a narrative for the UK media.
    You're right, of course.

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,608
    Keith Vaz whining...
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941

Can you afford it? We want proper money not monopoly Sterling.
  • Options
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

Leave almost a million ahead.

Ola!!

Isn't this beyond incredible?! :love:
    Incredibly stupid. Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.

I guarantee within months there will be a massive swing back as the recession tears through jobs, mortgages and pension plans. A disaster.
    How about talking about to make this work instead of talking Britons down for once.
    Not REMAIN's job to make it work, any more than it was Jeremy Corbyn's job to make this government work.
    You break it, you own it.
  • Options
    Buy shares in Betrayal :-)
  • Options

So am I. 'Course they'll just about cover the cost of a tank of petrol but next week but hey ho.
    When does BF pay up? I need money to buy a load of water, baked beans and a shotgun.
  • Options

I hope it works out okay...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Rexel56 said:

Well, not the result I wanted personally, but you can't deny the will of the people freely expressed... Britain must now harness all its talents and show that we can be a beacon for progressive capitalism... open our doors to the very brightest from around the world... cut business taxes and invest aggressively in the infrastructure to support entrepreneurs... redouble efforts to improve education and smash class barriers to potential... sharpen incentives to work but protect the less able... and above all get out there and sell our product, skills and knowledge in every corner of the world...

Well said sir, well said.
  • Options
    Cameron can't resign given current market panic - silence from Gove and Boris and Tory-led Vote Leave is telling. They will be working to shore up a definite message to calm things down.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    AndyJS said:

Keith Vaz sounding funereal on BBC.

Is this all a dream ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sky, split screen. Number 10 and Boris's place.

Almost identical doors...

Where's Monty Hall?
  • Options
    FTSE futures seem relatively steady between 8.5% and 9% off.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Keith Vaz telling the voters they've got it wrong. Labour never learn.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Artist said:

JenS said:

Corbyn hasn't been kept in by support from the traditional Labour voters who went Out. He's been kept in by support from London members and Three Quidders and Trafe Union leaders. They will blame Corbyn for this. He looks very vulnerable to me.

This is the best chance for a coup that Labour MPs will ever likely have, Corbyn's indifference in this referendum will have annoyed Labour's strongly Pro EU membership. The high chance of an imminent election and possible right wing Tory opponents could also focus minds.
    Again though, where is the evidence that any of the alternatives would be better than Corbyn? The "moderates" like Chuka Umunna, Liz Kendall and all the other Blairites have been some of the main leaders of the Britain Stronger In Europe campaign, and thus have just demonstrated how little feel for public opinion they have too.

I still think that Labour can only win on an economic left-wing prospectus: that is the only even slight prospect of uniting the middle-class idealists of London and Cambridge and Oxford, with the working-class voters in the North who are open to economic left-wing policies if it furthers their own self-interest.

But if Labour tries to make culturally liberal issues like immigration and Europe their main raison d'etre (which is essentially what the Blairites want, while pretty much accepting the Tory consensus on economic issues), then they will get slaughtered. Labour's middle-class support and their working-class support are COMPLETELY split on cultural issues, in a way that they are not to anywhere near the same extent on economic issues.
  • Options
    Keith Vaz in complete denial.
  • Options

Why feel sick?

Half the population who've been ignored or want a more compassionate society have found a common cause.

And they've won. How is that wrong?
  • Options
    Keith Vaz devastated, joy upon joy!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

YIPPEEE!
    We haven't left the EU. We may do so in the future - but for the moment we are in and agree to abide by all its rules and regulations.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,905

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

"The majority have no right to do wrong!" - Eamonn de Valera, 1922.
    De Valera was no respecter of democracy.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Plaudits to John Harris.
    Perhaps John harris should just become a pollster....seems a right out Moneymaker...£500k to be 12% out in a two horse race.
    John Harris went to Stoke-on-Trent and found 10 Leave voters for every Remain voter. When I saw that I thought it's going to be difficult for Remain to win.
  • Options

When does BF pay up? I need money to buy a load of water, baked beans and a shotgun.
    LOL!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,315
    03:59
    Declan Kearney, a Northern Ireland Assembly member for Sinn Féin, says his party will push for a poll on whether Northern Ireland should stay in the UK or unite with the Republic of Ireland if the UK votes to leave the EU. He says it will be "completely undemocratic" if the majority of people in Northern Ireland vote Remain but are "drawn out of the EU as a result of being carried on the coat-tails" of voters in England. "Sinn Féin will continue to press... for a border poll under the provisions of the Good Friday Agreement, because this (EU Referendum) will demonstrate palpably a dramatic change in the political landscape of the north," he says.

Declan Kearney
    BBC h ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Ooops.
  • Options
    Vaz - "catastrophic". Clearly emotional. "Never in a thousand years would I expect"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,263
    Bolsover 71% for Leave.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,219
    What I can't work out is that weeks ago, Labour MPs were reporting back in shock that they were getting a kicking on the doorsteps. And the postals were horrible. But then, they rowed back and it seemed everything was ginger peachy and ever so ever so nice.

WTF happened???
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,348
    Well, back from the count, and I can see I called it pretty much right.

Now confronting the Wollaston question, how do I feel:

Honestly, a part of me is a little bit sad. The EU or something like it, was not a bad idea in some ways. I don't like being cynical, and some part of me would have liked to have been pleasantly surprised and to discover the EU was capable of changing, to become something better.

But ultimately what's happened is the inevitability of an organization incapable of justifying its own existence to too many people for too long. If it is so great, then it should be capable of overcoming the obstacles it faced.

On the downside, now some real chaos will begin, particularly as what many voters want and what many leaver politicians want are not the same thing.

And for me personally, people senior to me at work are amazed and devastated at this result, cannot believe anyone would do this. So looks like I will have to work damn hard to avoid indicating how I voted, or lie.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

And I'm shoulder to shoulder with them. I'm still in WTF mode.

Ha, ha. You supported this:

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/737525064199856128
  • Options
    43 years in the EEC / EU- 5 times 8.6 year cycles. Everything comes back to the 1000 pi day cycle!
    The great Martin Armstrong vindicated.

Also kudos to Lord Hayward - about the only one to predict the Tory 2015 victory and now this.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

03:59
    Declan Kearney, a Northern Ireland Assembly member for Sinn Féin, says his party will push for a poll on whether Northern Ireland should stay in the UK or unite with the Republic of Ireland if the UK votes to leave the EU. He says it will be "completely undemocratic" if the majority of people in Northern Ireland vote Remain but are "drawn out of the EU as a result of being carried on the coat-tails" of voters in England. "Sinn Féin will continue to press... for a border poll under the provisions of the Good Friday Agreement, because this (EU Referendum) will demonstrate palpably a dramatic change in the political landscape of the north," he says.

Declan Kearney
    BBC h ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Ooops.

Ooh ah.
  • Options

Keith Vaz whining...

He is a great example of why Remain haven't nailed this. "Those silly little people haven't done what their betters told them to", in a nutshell.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sky, split screen. Number 10 and Boris's place.

Almost identical doors...

Where's Monty Hall?

LOL
  • Options

Instead of oil??
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

You may be right. However, I don't quite know if it is what those voters in Sunderland and the Valleys were looking for. I think they wanted the pain to stop.
  • Options
    Wow Keith Vaz is so depressing. You'd think we'd just commited mass suicide.
  • Options
    No more MEP elections.

[sad face]
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Are we expecting Dave to come out in a minute?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Such a stupid idea to have Cameron and Osborne front a campaign that needed Labour voters more than any other party.... Inept. But REMAIN never listened.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,043

No more MEP elections.

[sad face]

:o

:(

(no more voting on Thursday and not bloody finding out until Sunday!)
  • Options
    BBC now saying it's democracy. I'm sorry but that is bollocks.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Slightly numb - I can’t believe what has just happened.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    SeanT said:

weejonnie said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

YIPPEEE!
    We haven't left the EU. We may do so in the future - but for the moment we are in and agree to abide by all its rules and regulations.
    Nah. We're out. We really ARE.

Rejoice.
    yeah anyone who claims otherwise is clinging to something we just booted out. It's gone. Over.

We have a new dawn.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,022

Cameron can't resign given current market panic - silence from Gove and Boris and Tory-led Vote Leave is telling. They will be working to shore up a definite message to calm things down.

Well he can... I mean if he wants to resign and drive off today nobody can stop him. Eden went like that...
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

where's your "It was the Sunil wot won it graphic"?!
  • Options
    Leeds votes Remain by 2,000 votes.
This discussion has been closed.