Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s finding You Can’t Always Get What EU Want

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    RodCrosby said:

Sky, split screen. Number 10 and Boris's place.

Almost identical doors...

Where's Monty Hall?

ScottP will definitely call to stick rather than switch.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Keith Vaz devastated, joy upon joy!

That man should be behind bars, let alone commentating on the result this morning. Out of the 650 MP's he is public enemy number 1 as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

BBC now saying it's democracy. I'm sorry but that is bollocks.

It is definitely democracy !
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    viewcode said:

03:59
    Declan Kearney, a Northern Ireland Assembly member for Sinn Féin, says his party will push for a poll on whether Northern Ireland should stay in the UK or unite with the Republic of Ireland if the UK votes to leave the EU. He says it will be "completely undemocratic" if the majority of people in Northern Ireland vote Remain but are "drawn out of the EU as a result of being carried on the coat-tails" of voters in England. "Sinn Féin will continue to press... for a border poll under the provisions of the Good Friday Agreement, because this (EU Referendum) will demonstrate palpably a dramatic change in the political landscape of the north," he says.

Declan Kearney
    BBC h ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Ooops.

I have no religious affiliation but the partition of Ireland needs to end even if the UK government overrules the moronic proddy nutters.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Are we expecting Dave to come out in a minute?

Do you know how long it takes to pack?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Working class Labour voters must have gone massively for Leave.

Such a stupid idea to have Cameron and Osborne front a campaign that needed Labour voters more than any other party.... Inept. But REMAIN never listened.
    Matthew Elliot is a bloody genius - as with AV he recognised the importance of Labour voters.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,553

What would you class it as?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Remain squeaks Leeds by 2,000 votes. Not. Enough.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

The people were asked, the people answered.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,867
    PlatoSaid said:

I feel sick. I'm a Remainer, who is now collecting my winnings on Leave.

Why feel sick?

Half the population who've been ignored or want a more compassionate society have found a common cause.

And they've won. How is that wrong?
    Agreed they were ignored and have every right to be listened to. Society won't be more compassionate as a result of it. The opposite will happen, that's for sure.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Cameron can't resign given current market panic - silence from Gove and Boris and Tory-led Vote Leave is telling. They will be working to shore up a definite message to calm things down.

Wasn't the plan that Gisella Stuart would announce the victory?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    PlatoSaid said:

Why feel sick?

Half the population who've been ignored or want a more compassionate society have found a common cause.

A more compassionate society to be delivered by Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Priti Patel :-D

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,132

MaxPB said:

Holy shit, we've left the EU.

No, we haven't. We've voted to leave. There's a big difference.

Semantics. Under what circumstances will we not leave? No government would be able to not proceed with the formalities, no offer from brussells will be forthcoming which would convince people to vote again.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209
    PlatoSaid said:

Why feel sick?

Because the people in VoteLeave who so assidously courted their vote will now drop them like a bad habit and pursue their own interests, as they were always going t do.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited June 2016
    kle4 said:

Well, back from the count, and I can see I called it pretty much right.

Now confronting the Wollaston question, how do I feel:

Honestly, a part of me is a little bit sad. The EU or something like it, was not a bad idea in some ways. I don't like being cynical, and some part of me would have liked to have been pleasantly surprised and to discover the EU was capable of changing, to become something better.

But ultimately what's happened is the inevitability of an organization incapable of justifying its own existence to too many people for too long. If it is so great, then it should be capable of overcoming the obstacles it faced.

On the downside, now some real chaos will begin, particularly as what many voters want and what many leaver politicians want are not the same thing.

And for me personally, people senior to me at work are amazed and devastated at this result, cannot believe anyone would do this. So looks like I will have to work damn hard to avoid indicating how I voted, or lie.

You voted "Leave"? I had you down as a 100% "Remainer"...

PS - how we play the markets and how we vote are two different things.
  • Options
    Leave 950k ahead - come on bring up the million mark!
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    I feel elation excitement and trepidation and bewilderment but overall freedom
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    Pulpstar said:

Wide, but thin. How many people were genuinely voting on the EU and its policies? Or was it kick the elite, politicians etc etc.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

Sky, split screen. Number 10 and Boris's place.

Almost identical doors...

Where's Monty Hall?

LOL
    We need another door. Them two conceal the goats...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    viewcode said:

03:59
    Declan Kearney, a Northern Ireland Assembly member for Sinn Féin, says his party will push for a poll on whether Northern Ireland should stay in the UK or unite with the Republic of Ireland if the UK votes to leave the EU. He says it will be "completely undemocratic" if the majority of people in Northern Ireland vote Remain but are "drawn out of the EU as a result of being carried on the coat-tails" of voters in England. "Sinn Féin will continue to press... for a border poll under the provisions of the Good Friday Agreement, because this (EU Referendum) will demonstrate palpably a dramatic change in the political landscape of the north," he says.

Declan Kearney
    BBC h ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Ooops.

Would they have any chance of winning that? I know the demographic have been moving in their direction but aren't they still a fair way off?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Holy shit, we've left the EU.

No, we haven't. We've voted to leave. There's a big difference.

Semantics. Under what circumstances will we not leave? No government would be able to not proceed with the formalities, no offer from brussells will be forthcoming which would convince people to vote again.

Let's see where things are in six to 12 months.

• Options

No more MEP elections.

[sad face]

Lots of unemployed Kippers. Always a good thing.
  • Options

Leeds votes Remain by 2,000 votes.

Good old Leeds.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    GIN1138 said:

Cameron can't resign given current market panic - silence from Gove and Boris and Tory-led Vote Leave is telling. They will be working to shore up a definite message to calm things down.

Well he can... I mean if he wants to resign and drive off today nobody can stop him. Eden went like that...
    Why should Cameron stay ? He has been humiliated. The Leavers are sniggering at the back. He should tell them, "you clear up the mess".
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Thrak said:

It's like a horror movie at the moment. Just look at all that red.

http://uk.investing.com/currencies/gbp-usd

There will be a rocky few years. Then we recover. It's what free nations DO.
    I was (sort of) accused of complacency the other week because anyone who's been around a while will have seen all manner of huge, disruptive changes. By and large, we've come through them all, and grown steadily wealthier. We'll all have our own personal lists but for me:

- 5 recessions (if you count the .com bust)
    - Fall of the Soviet Union
    - Introduction of the Euro
    - Ejection from the ERM
    - 9/11
    - Personal computers (IT in general)
    - Internet
    - Mobile

The IMF report forecast growth of 1.9% this year, -0.8% next year and 1.1% the year after. Recessions are never pleasant, but there's a recession coming our way soon, whatever happens.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Should Merkel take some of the blame for this?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

24 hours ago, I fully expected a narrow REMAIN win, but this is incredible.

where's your "It was the Sunil wot won it graphic"?!
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/725339057669165058
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209
    PlatoSaid said:

Why feel sick?

2) And because the probability of Scotland and NI leaving the UK have now increased.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    51.7% Out according to Sky

Roll on other unhappy EU members

Boris' message about democracy hit home.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Pulpstar said:

Wide, but thin. How many people were genuinely voting on the EU and its policies? Or was it kick the elite, politicians etc etc.
    The EU shouldn't have POLICIES, it should be a TRADING COMMUNITY, which is what this country voted for in 1974.

We no longer have to heed EU POLICIES. They are bollocks.

Morning!
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740

Remain squeaks Leeds by 2,000 votes. Not. Enough.

Good God.
  • Options
    Larry the Cat @Number10cat
    The good news for people that bet on Brexit is that you're going to win, the bad need is that you're getting paid in sterling. #EURefResults
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Working class Labour voters must have gone massively for Leave.

Such a stupid idea to have Cameron and Osborne front a campaign that needed Labour voters more than any other party.... Inept. But REMAIN never listened.
    Matthew Elliot is a bloody genius - as with AV he recognised the importance of Labour voters.
    Agree with you on that. 3 nil in referenda. Now why did Cameron not hire him a few years ago?
    Because it would have upset Clegg!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

Well he can... I mean if he wants to resign and drive off today nobody can stop him. Eden went like that...
    Why should Cameron stay ? He has been humiliated. The Leavers are sniggering at the back. He should tell them, "you clear up the mess".
    I doubt he is that petty.
  • Options
    Laura K doing a better job than everyone else on the Beeb.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

True enough...don't think he will though. Eden could do that in the days of the magic circle. The earliest a new Leader of the Tories could be in place would be October. Cameron's sense of duty will be too great. He did PPE - he knows how to bluff his way out of what he said earlier!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,167
    How much has SeanT's flat fallen in value ?
  • Options
    Paddy Power still haven't called it. They must be losing a packet. Including my £300.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Sky News projection calls it for Leave.

I haven't slept properly for the last week because I've been so stressed about this referendum. Not since Leave took their first polling leads and I started to believe that this result could be possible. And I have felt sick in the stomach since the death of Jo Cox.

At 1030 tonight I was both stressed and depressed. I thought it had slipped aww.

I'm now thousands and thousands of pounds poorer than I was at 2230. The value of some of my investments has surely plummeted - I have lost more per hour than any time in my life.

But I feel totally calm and relaxed. I feel a burden lifted from me.

I'm uncertain about the future but I am not afraid.

This has been the most extraordinary night of my life. Perhaps the most historic and important, at least since the night I watched the televised fall of the Berlin Wall. That was distant though, and this is tangible. My life and the lives of those around me now are cast in a new landscape, and one partly of our own creation.

This is the happiest night of my life.

Happy but not at all triumphant. RIP Jo Cox - sorry it's not what you wanted, but I hope we all come together to make a just job of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

How long before Denmark and the Netherlands call refs of their own?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

It really is. Ignore the people at your peril. There was anelection and now we have a result.
  • Options
    Cameron needs to resign and be very clear - "Your mess, you clear it up."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Why feel sick?

A more compassionate society to be delivered by Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Priti Patel :-D

For the good of the nation, I think we need hammond as CoE. The most boring man in politics but knows his economic onions & won't do anything rash nor overly political for politics only motivation.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

How long before Denmark and the Netherlands calls refs of their own?
    The Dutch and Danes will go out.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @AndyJS

'Should Merkel take some of the blame for this? '

Yes, she thought we would accept a crap deal.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    hunchman said:

Isn't this remarkable!
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

That depends on how sharp the initial shocks we feel are.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    PlatoSaid said:

That rallying cry from Boris at the end of the BBC debate might have been what won it for LEAVE
  • Options
    Cough - I told you so.

You laughed and mocked, just like you did when I said the Libdems would lose Yeovil and places like that, but, I told you so.

£120 to collect now by the look of it :)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Wow. The Vote Leave party was cancelled as they thought they lost.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087

Pulpstar said:

The EU shouldn't have POLICIES, it should be a TRADING COMMUNITY, which is what this country voted for in 1974.

We no longer have to heed EU POLICIES. They are bollocks.

Morning!
    This vote does not make the EU cease to exist. The UK will still want to sell goods to its main market. This will mean heeding EU policies without influencing them, but it's OK because you won't have to live beside Poles any more.
  • Options

I doubt he's that petty. Plus it is technically his mess since he called the referendum.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

They can join us in a newly-formed European Economic Commonwealth. The EEC. Hell, they can even use the pound....
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    john_zims said:

@AndyJS

I was thinking more of her — as David Herdson put it — "mad decision" to open the borders to millions of migrants in the space of a few months.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740

It is democracy. It's a disaster but it's democracy.
  • Options
    nunu said:

It really is. Ignore the people at your peril. There was anelection and now we have a result.

Yep, the people have spoken. It is now encumbent on Leave to deliver on the promises they've made.

• Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 44

Sorry whose mess? Surely his own for taking a reckless gamble by using calling a referendum as a technique whih he thought he would use as a tactical gambit for party management?
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

I doubt he is that petty.
    Cameron has no authority, he cannot stay - he will stay only so long as a new leader is elected. Boris and the others prepared for this eventuality, it's why they signed the letter Cameron needs to stay on no matter what, so they can present as loyal, while knowing his position is untenable anyway.
  • Options

No, he's the PM, his duty is to implement the result of his referendum.

• Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    GIN1138 said:

Cameron will resign today, or if not today then tomorrow - that's obvious. But he will stay on as caretaker.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

That rallying cry from Boris at the end of the BBC debate might have been what won it for LEAVE
    It flipped my future in-laws vote from Remain to Leave so there might be something in that. He said Boris was 'electrifying'.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Depends on how eager they are to lose about a tenth of their purchasing power overnight?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes.

ITV are talking about how much Germany 'values' British membership on the EU.

Yet Merkel wouldn't give anything.

She was willing to give everything to 'Syrian refugees' though.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Cough - I told you so.

You laughed and mocked, just like you did when I said the Libdems would lose Yeovil and places like that, but, I told you so.

Hopefully Betfair to settle soon, nice £900 profit incoming :)

Meeks and iSam have bigger boats coming in !
  • Options
    SKY: Rmours of a dignified exit for Cameron and Osborne.....
  • Options
    VOTE LEAVE are being very dignified in victory.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Laura K doing a better job than everyone else on the Beeb.

She great isn't she. Like Nicola, these Scottish girls are made of stern stuff. :smiley:
  • Options
    Sky: Rumours of "dignified exit" for the Posh Boys, swirling round Westminster...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Looks like a dead cat bounce in the currency markets. Is this the bottom or half-way down.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    How did Ealing vote?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sky: Rumours of "dignified exit" for the Posh Boys, swirling round Westminster...

Let's have some people from ordinary backgrounds running the country for a change.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Britain. What the fuck have you done?
  • Options
    bazzer said:

Sorry whose mess? Surely his own for taking a reckless gamble by using calling a referendum as a technique whih he thought he would use as a tactical gambit for party management?
    The silver lining about losing is that you can go into opposition. Indeed, it is the motive that keeps democracy going: governments become oppositions, and may become governments again.

To celebrate winning, while wanting to keep the vanquished as a human shield to insulate you from your own policies, is cowardly.
  • Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else thing Boris has slept through the whole thing?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Cough - I told you so.

Hopefully Betfair to settle soon, nice £900 profit incoming :)

Meeks and iSam have bigger boats coming in !
    Yep made a tidy sum (£300ish) too. But that will be more than wiped out out by the economic disaster that's going to smack us all in the face! Worrying times ahead - very worrying!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SouthamObserver

'No, we haven't. We've voted to leave. There's a big difference.'

Junker only yesterday said it was the best deal possible and there would be no further negotiations.

Was he telling porkies ?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

What would the dignified exit be? :p
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    If the UK is in meltdown, so will the EU be. I am not convinced that the Scottish will want to cut loose from the UK and throw their lot in with the EU now.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Why feel sick?

For the good of the nation, I think we need hammond as CoE. The most boring man in politics but knows his economic onions & won't do anything rash nor overly political for politics only motivation.
    No. Hammond allowed Osborne to walk all over his dept.
  • Options
    nunu said:

It is a fantastical coup. Maybe 20% of voters gave a stuff about the EU a few years ago. A referendum has allowed this 20% to leverage every single grudge and genuine problem into a vote to leave.

None of people's problems will be solved by this. Zero hours - No; crap housing - No; shortage of housing - No; low wage growth - No; mass migration - No; and on and on.
  • Options
    Utter madness.

I am so glad I got rid of all of my UK equity yesterday and put £200 on leave @ 3/1 few days ago...
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    PlatoSaid said:

hunchman said:

Isn't this remarkable!
    Yep. Biggest political earthquake since 1945.

Survation for EU.Leave got it spot on.
  • Options
    Maybe we can now expect referendums in Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands.
  • Options

SKY: Rmours of a dignified exit for Cameron and Osborne.....

Tar and feathers would be more appropriate after their behaviour.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

I'm genuinely sad it's come to this. I liked Cam a lot back in the day... But he blew it.Sad.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

hunchman said:

Isn't this remarkable!
    Its amazing times we live in. So many long term cycles coming together. I got things wrong on here back in 2010/11 forecasting a stockmarket crash, but people mocked me for saying constantly that we were approaching incredibly turbulent times. I don't think so many people are doubting me on that one now!

Chukka descending into a long misery rant!
  • Options
    Shy Leavers.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Yes.

ITV are talking about how much Germany 'values' British membership on the EU.

Yet Merkel wouldn't give anything.

She was willing to give everything to 'Syrian refugees' though.

Merkel unilaterally unlocked the gates of Europe and invited in anyone who could get there. There was no democracy in that process - and was the final straw in the notion of the EU being a "democratic" entity.
  • Options
    On a rather sillier note. Looking at the Blue and Yellow on the infographic with sheffield in blue, this is what the election special in 1896 must have looked like. Anyone remember it. Malcolm, Jack?

:D
  • Options

Cough - I told you so.

Well done.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    MP_SE said:

Wow. The Vote Leave party was cancelled as they thought they lost.

Really nice though when that kind of thing happens. There's nothing quite like a spontaneous natural celebration and frantic ordering of champagne. It'll be a bloody brilliant moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Rod Crosby has kicked JackW's arse :wink:
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

nunu said:

Yep, the people have spoken. It is now encumbent on Leave to deliver on the promises they've made.

SO. I won't doubt you ever again... well until the next time. Congratulations on calling this right even if it's not the outcome we both wanted.
  • Options
    More seriously, who the hell do I vote for now?

LDs, as previously as a default? That would be hypocritical given I voted Leave
    Labour? Regardless of anything else, Corbyn is unsuitable.
    UKIP? Other than the coincidence of voting Leave, I cannot say they appeal to me
    Green? See Labour
    Con? Odds are they are about to abandon the things I like

It's a tough old game, trying to take a longer term view, when it works but results in little in the way of short term options.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Junker only yesterday said it was the best deal possible and there would be no further negotiations.

Was he telling porkies ?

Juncker isn't the EU. There are plenty of rumblings about him and his management style. We have to hope that the pragmatists step up on all sides.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

john_zims said:

@AndyJS

I was thinking more of her — as David Herdson put it — "mad decision" to open the borders to millions of migrants in the space of a few months.
    Merkel owes no responsibility to Britain. Cameron offered the referendum to keep peace in the Conservative party. It is on him.

He has to go. Along with Osborne.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Was he telling porkies ?

Of course. And we may just find that the experts had some idea of what they were talking about. It could just be the EU may not look so horrific a few months down the line.

• Options
    JenS said:

If the UK is in meltdown, so will the EU be. I am not convinced that the Scottish will want to cut loose from the UK and throw their lot in with the EU now.

The EU will fare better than UK in the short to medium term hence why the breakup of the UK is a very serious probability.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

What would the dignified exit be? :p
    Ambassadors to ISIS...
  • Options
    JenS said:

Scotland would have to vote IN for the EU after Independence. Scotland would vote No to the EU once it is Independent.
This discussion has been closed.