Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Now Labour "cautiously confident "in Vale of Clwyd
    But they said the same last year at the beginning of the night
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    SeanT said:

The Francophonie is a stagnant intellectual backwater in comparison. And belatedly this is now showing up in the food, which has retreated into some weird cul de sac of YUK.

Yeah, but I think that's a relatively short-term loss of confidence. After all, anyone looking at the UK in (say) 1975 would have concluded we were completely finished. In fact, many said so at the time.

Where is France's Maggie, though?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton · 8m8 minutes ago

Labour in danger of losing majority on Derby council - all early signs tonight are bad.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

chestnut said:

St Annes Sunderland

Lab 71.4 (1371 votes)
    Con 28.6 (548 votes)

Turnout 24.3%

In 2011

Lab 71.4 ( 1908 votes)
    Con 16.3% ( 436 votes)
    Grn 8.9% (238 votes)
    LD 3.4% (90 votes)

Swing: Lab to Con 6.15%

Sorry to be brusque but you have to compare with 2012.
    Nope. Comparative point in the last election cycle is 2011.
    You're just wrong. And being very partisan.

Every news outlet will be comparing with 2012.
    "Every news outlet" also predicted a hung parliament last year.

On early signs, Labour are going to fare poorly even compared to 2011. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's a statement of the obvious that the only relevant comparisons are the corresponding points in the electoral cycle. Your argument is like saying you compare the state of the Premier League table in the August of a new season compared to the December of the previous season.
    Just because they called it wrong, doesn't make their comparison incorrect.

It would actually be comparing a one third of the premier league to another third. Some areas that voted in 2011 wont be voting in today, and vice versa.
    It's a double comparison. You work out the base metric with reference to the last point the seats were contested ie 2012. This gives you something like "Opposition party down 300" which you can then compare with opposition parties' performances a year after a General Election.
    Which I think is being done.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2016
    Most surprising & underrated meal...in Porto, placed called O Paparico. Would place it above any of the top restaurants have eaten at in the UK (which without trying to do a poor seanT impression includes a fair number that are consistently ranked on those snobbish lists)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,136
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

Yes, there's a truth in that. In some respects France has just been naturally overtaken by competitors, who learned from her pioneering supremacy, then applied her techniques with greater innovation or resources.

The same happened to the English/British with all the sports we invented. People copied us at football, then, thanks to sheer weight of numbers, we eventually got outstripped - there were bound to be countries which could beat us at football.

Yet the food in France, if I'm not mistaken, is a different case. It isn't just in relative decline (as is the case with the wine) - it's in absolute decline, actively getting a lot worse. Very odd. And rather sad.

I have always found you can eat very well in most French towns with a higher quality of food at a reasonable price than most British cafes, though at the top Michelin starred end the French supremacy may be over. Generally they are friendly, especially if you at least attempt to speak the language. Italy is a great country too but France has Paris, the Mediterrenean climate in the south and lots of history and is the most visited country in the world for a reason
    It's simply not true any more, tho. Most French bistros now serve reheated frozen food.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11533010/French-restaurants-are-just-re-heating-factory-food-chef-claims.html

I take no pleasure in this. I used to love going to France and anticipating the food. After this trip, which cements in place an uneasy impression that I'd already formed, I will never do that again. Sad.
    It depends what you order too, the seafood in France tends to be excellent and the gesiers salads are always wonderful and I order them whenever they are on the menu
    Agree with you on the salade de gesier. But Sean is right - French bistro food has declined massively since I lived in France in the 90s. I was in Lille this last week, bought several sandwiches made with either ficelle or baguette and on each occasion the bread was no better than you'd get at a Pret a manger in the UK or US. What happened to the baguette? It's all now pre-made, take out of the freezer and cook stuff.
    Too much fast food everywhere I think
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    When was the last time somebody wrote 'Liberal Democrat' and 'gain' in the same sentence?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    RobD said:

Your argument is based on the premise that the "cycle" is defined by the general elections. The 2012 elections were probably more influenced by the ominshambles budget, rather than the fact it was a year from the previous election.

How are you even going to make comparisons in wards where no election took place in 2011?

That goes against political history, though. Every sitting government almost always gets its best results of an electoral cycle in the first year after a General Election -- the only exception was the 1979-83 cycle, where the Falklands Factor pushed Tories to a better performance in 1982 than they got in 1980.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Somehow, I don't expect the same level of indignation from the usual suspects as we saw when Obama expressed a view...
    Maybe it won't get a lot of airing but if it does that's not optimal for Leave, I would say.
  • Options
    Labour sources 'not ruling out' coming third

That's Scotland
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MTimT said:

Isn't this rather more like Lab to UKIP swing of 12-13% with no swing to Con.
    All the results are not yet in for Sunderland so those figures may not be correct
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

SeanT said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

I'm sorry Mike Smithson, as much as I love Lancashire, I am going to have to re-post my love of Italy from earlier in response to an attack on Italian cuisine (unthinkable)

I'm sorry...Italian cuisine is sublime. The simplicity. Provided you stay out of a tourist trap and keep to local trattorias, it is literally impossible to eat or drink badly in Italy.

And it's cheap.

Or you could go somewhere else. Why?

It's all true. Not as refined as French at its best but that's its charm. You can go anywhere and its lively fun and simple and it's uniformly good. Sometimes it feels like you've crept into a fellini film and that's when it's at its best. You're very lucky. So much better than Spain

I doubt you have seen much of Spain to say that, Roger. Like France. I'd say the further west you go in France the better it gets, though the Jura is a special place. If you don't eat and drink well in Gascony or Brittany, say, you are doing something very wrong.

Excellent seafood in Brittany, I quite agree.

France is like Britain in the Seventies, looking rather dogeared but with strong roots that are ripe for revival.

Yes, it's a sad place right now. Kind of defeated. But France is too great a country not to bounce back.

The potential of France is still enormous. If she ever gets her act together...

That said the French language is now a major problem for France and I'm not sure how it is solved. They are trapped in a Francophone bubble with little understanding of the world beyond.

We forget how simply speaking English gives us instant and powerful access to the most dynamic ideas, memes, culture, concepts. As English speakers we are constantly challenged by the new, whether it is from America or India, Singapore or Hong Kong, Oz or South Africa or London or New York (the two paramount world cities). It's not always for the best, but it always keeps up on our mettle.

The Francophonie is a stagnant intellectual backwater in comparison. And belatedly this is now showing up in the food, which has retreated into some weird cul de sac of YUK.

Hong Kong is full of young French people these days, all speaking good English. I think the younger generation there is much less Francophone than their elders. They seem much more outward-looking.
    Ditto in Dubai, a large and growing French population here, as you say Anglophone and with an international outlook on life.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2016
    Labour have lost Millfield in Sunderland to the LDs. Corbyn's prediction of no losses looking in jeopardy.
  • Options

When was the last time somebody wrote 'Liberal Democrat' and 'gain' in the same sentence?

new jobs - like Danny Alexander and Steve Webb?
  • Options
    The results page on the BBC is way ahead of Sky (assuming it's accurate). 4 Councils already in.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Labour = New Day
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Your argument is based on the premise that the "cycle" is defined by the general elections. The 2012 elections were probably more influenced by the ominshambles budget, rather than the fact it was a year from the previous election.

How are you even going to make comparisons in wards where no election took place in 2011?

That goes against political history, though. Every sitting government almost always gets its best results of an electoral cycle in the first year after a General Election -- the only exception was the 1979-83 cycle, where the Falklands Factor pushed Tories to a better performance in 1982 than they got in 1980.
    Yeah, so as JohnLilburne states, you compare the net gains/losses to that year, you don't compare the vote share in each individual seats to that year (you can't do that in a lot of cases in any case).
  • Options

Labour sources 'not ruling out' coming third

That's Scotland

LOL. I would genuinely be very surprised to see them come second.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

Yes, thte decline, actively getting a lot worse. Very odd. And rather sad.

I have France has Paris, the Mediterrenean climate in the south and lots of history and is the most visited country in the world for a reason
    It's simply not true any more, tho. Most French bistros now serve reheated frozen food.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11533010/French-restaurants-are-just-re-heating-factory-food-chef-claims.html

I take no pleasure in this. I used to love going to France and anticipating the food. After this trip, which cements in place an uneasy impression that I'd already formed, I will never do that again. Sad.
    It depends what you order too, the seafood in France tends to be excellent and the gesiers salads are always wonderful and I order them whenever they are on the menu
    Agree with you on the salade de gesier. But Sean is right - French bistro food has declined massively since I lived in France in the 90s. I was in Lille this last week, bought several sandwiches made with either ficelle or baguette and on each occasion the bread was no better than you'd get at a Pret a manger in the UK or US. What happened to the baguette? It's all now pre-made, take out of the freezer and cook stuff.
    Actually, Pret a Manger is a better place to eat than many cafes in France, these days. You are guaranteed some interesting salads, decent soups, miso, sushi, etc.

And talking of sarnies, I had a "Finest" roast beef sandwich from Tesco the other day which was absolutely sublime. I'm not joking. Possibly the best sandwich I've ever eaten. I think it might have been this one:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268308330

Bizarre but true. Tescos does the best sandwich in the world. Ruthless capitalism in action.
    Some of the Tesco sandwiches are indeed delicious and totally consistent quality
  • Options

Iain Martin Retweeted

Cllr John Ferrett ‏@John_Ferrett · 8m8 minutes ago

Labour vote is collapsing to UKIP in Portsmouth #corbyneffect

• Options
    UKIP likely to beat the Tories for second in Ogmore by-election
    https://twitter.com/UKGE2020/status/728351712679956480
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Millfield (Sunderland): LDEM: 60.2% LAB: 31.7% CON: 5.4% GRN: 2.7% Gain from Labour.

18% swing
  • Options
    I'm in the very awkward position of wanting to see Labour have a terrible night, but desperate for Corbyn to keep his job.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Now hang on, I see people are judging French food by experiences in Dieppe or Normandy.

Err, no.

Normandy isn't in France? I know it shouldn't be but I am fairly sure it is.

As I said in my first post I can only judge but what I have experienced and that is Normandy and the old battlefields and the food in the standard eateries is, in the main, poor. I can get better and for a similar price at anyone of half a dozen pubs within a few miles of my home.
    Sure, Normandy is in France, just as Sunderland is in England. (To be fair to the Normands, the food isn't that bad).
    Indeed it isn't always that bad, as said at least twice, there are some gems where the food is top notch. We have a list of places that we use when ever we are over there, a list, I might say, that has shrunk over recent years (though the "Tripe a la mode de Caen" place is still thankfully unchanged).

But it is the average I am talking about. Pull up at a random French eatery and what do you get compared to a random English eatery. In my experience you have a better chance of getting a decent meal in England than in France,

My neighbour, who I alluded to above, has vastly more experience in France than I do. He was born there for a start and maintains a flat in Paris as well as the family house in Champagne. If he reckons, as he does, that French restaurants have lost the plot and are too often serving up the Frog equivalent of Brake Bros meals and the French government are moving to ensure their consumers know, well, who am I to argue.

• Options
    Labour hold Sunderland, Tories hold Tunbridge Wells, no surprises so far
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Millfield (Sunderland): LDEM: 60.2% LAB: 31.7% CON: 5.4% GRN: 2.7% Gain from Labour.

Very bad result for Labour, to state the obvious.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Yeah, so as JohnLilburne states, you compare the net gains/losses to that year, you don't compare the vote share in each individual seats to that year (you can't do that in a lot of cases in any case).
    Nope, gains/losses are not a useful indicator either. On that measure, William Hague gained more council seats as Leader Of The Opposition overall than David Cameron did!

Real voteshares with comparative points in the electoral cycle are the ONLY historically useful indicator of predicting General Election results.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Lib Dem majority 750 previous Labour majorities
    2011 778
    2012 170
    2014 91
    2015 1558 ( Lib Dems 4th UKIP 2nd )
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I'm in the very awkward position of wanting to see Labour have a terrible night, but desperate for Corbyn to keep his job.

The save ed campaign will have to reform to assist with corbyn keeping his job. Luckily for you labour are terrible at getting rid of leaders.
  • Options

Lib Dem surge!!!

twitter.com/britainelects/status/728355701626638336

Lib Dem majority 750 previous Labour majorities
    2011 778
    2012 170
    2014 91
    2015 1558 ( Lib Dems 4th UKIP 2nd )
    Wow, leap-frogged 3rd and 2nd?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Hong Kong is full of young French people these days, all speaking good English. I think the younger generation there is much less Francophone than their elders. They seem much more outward-looking.

I'd agree. In the 90s, finding a French person speaking English outside of international business, diplomacy or science was hard to do. In this trip to Lille, hardly the cosmopolitan hub of France, I was struck by the fact that almost everyone in the hospitality industry (hotels, restaurants, coffee shops and sanwicheries, spoke English and WANTED to practice it!!! Even the people at the rail station ticket counter and information booth spoke English, I was stunned.
  • Options
    A couple of Lab gains from LD in Newcastle
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Time for bed!

G'night.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'm guessing the Hitler Factor?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Probably in the weekly byelection threads here on a Thursday. You need to get out less!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

A Khan win is all he needs
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,566
    Very early signs looks like a bad night for Lab, great for UKIP, Tories and Lib Dems doing fine
  • Options
    Lib dem surrrrrrrgeeee
  • Options
    @C_KAndrews: Labour apparently being "thumped, like thumped thumped" in Fife constituencies. "Even more f***** on the list," source tells me.
  • Options
    Labour hold Wigan
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@C_KAndrews: Labour apparently being "thumped, like thumped thumped" in Fife constituencies. "Even more f***** on the list," source tells me.

Sounds like so bad even dockside hooker analogy not going to be fitting...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    It's one thing for Corbyn to lose the WWC vote to UKIP, but if he can't lock in the student/middle class Lib Dem/Green vote, what is the point of him?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    Come on Sky, let's get results reported
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

What we need is some Tory councils

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for helping create more of them.
  • Options
    @mattforde: Also, hearing that Labour leadership are trying to frame London as a "referendum on Jeremy Corbyn". They're not saying that about Scotland.
  • Options

The save ed campaign will have to reform to assist with corbyn keeping his job. Luckily for you labour are terrible at getting rid of leaders.
    I think a challenge to Corbyn now may result in him getting re-elected, thus strengthening his position and that of his cronies still further.

Short of the entire front bench resigning and the Labour selectorate being limited to those on Tony Blair's Christmas card list it's difficult to see them shifting him, no matter how bad it gets.

Look at Brown in 2008. Far worse poll ratings than Corbyn (believe it got to 18%, he remembers gleefully) and dreadful election results but they still wouldn't remove him. Corbyn's allies are more ideologically driven than Brown's and will not let him be moved.

The next four years are going to be incredibly entertaining, if nothing else.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    MTimT said:

I'd agree. In the 90s, finding a French person speaking English outside of international business, diplomacy or science was hard to do. In this trip to Lille, hardly the cosmopolitan hub of France, I was struck by the fact that almost everyone in the hospitality industry (hotels, restaurants, coffee shops and sanwicheries, spoke English and WANTED to practice it!!! Even the people at the rail station ticket counter and information booth spoke English, I was stunned.
    Rijsel (Lille) is of course historically Dutch-speaking so they may be less keen on French than most French people. The French have a woeful record on deliberately destroying regional languages.
  • Options

BBC actually better so far in getting results out than Sky, obviously someone has been reading PB!
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    chestnut said:

It's one thing for Corbyn to lose the WWC vote to UKIP, but if he can't lock in the student/middle class Lib Dem/Green vote, what is the point of him?

To make a load of wankers feel better about themselves whilst offering worse than nothing to the people they claim to represent.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Tom said:

As a Labour Member this is like watching West Ham under Glenn roeder or avram grant. You end up wanting to lose as badly as possible so they get fired. Unfortunately we don't appear to have slaven bilic (or even sam allardyce) waiting in the wings.

That reminds me of a Spurs fan I used to know (25 years ago) who said to me once "Any true fan likes to see his team get really thrashed." Apparently losing 1-0 is annoying, losing 7-0 is like jumping naked into the Baltic in December, or something.

Anyway, the best thing for Labour tonight would be a cataclysm to severe that it brought Corbyn's reign to an end. That seems unlikely though. It will be bad but not *quite* that bad enough.

As to Slaven Bilic, he is there. The board won't appoint him. Sack the board!
  • Options
    Scottish sun say labour in 3rd in Scotland.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Conservatives expect a 8-10% swing in Gower. They need a 9% swing to take it

Ah all those wealthy retirees flooding the constituency.
  • Options
    @britainelects: Early indications from Glasgow and Fife suggest that Labour will be beaten into third place in Scotland tonight.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

BBC actually better so far in getting results out than Sky, obviously someone has been reading PB!
    Just can't make myself watch Sky.. I'm a terrible PB Tory.

Wish the BBC had added the actual majority on their graphics when they listed the marginal/safe seats in order of majority.
  • Options
    Labour hold Halton and Newcastle
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

London is all Corbyn cares about. Which is just as well, as everywhere else is looking absolutely dire for Labour!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: Early indications from Glasgow and Fife suggest that Labour will be beaten into third place in Scotland tonight.

Smelling salts on standby for any and all.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,017
    English-speaking countries take their cultural cues from America. Sorry.

Native seakers of other languages get America PLUS their own culture.
  • Options

lol
  • Options

Bwahaha :lol:
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I'm guessing the Hitler Factor?
    Pretty astonishing when you think about it how the mere mention of his name can shake up British politics 71 years after his death.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

London is all Corbyn cares about. Which is just as well, as everywhere else is looking absolutely dire for Labour!
    You are giving him too much credit, he ain't interested in all of London, Islington & Islington..
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The large Cognac in front of me (purely for medicinal purposes) is proving that the frogs still get somethings right.

Quite right too, Doc.

1 Timothy 5:23
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Wanderer said:

Tom said:

As a Labour Member this is like watching West Ham under Glenn roeder or avram grant. You end up wanting to lose as badly as possible so they get fired. Unfortunately we don't appear to have slaven bilic (or even sam allardyce) waiting in the wings.

That reminds me of a Spurs fan I used to know (25 years ago) who said to me once "Any true fan likes to see his team get really thrashed." Apparently losing 1-0 is annoying, losing 7-0 is like jumping naked into the Baltic in December, or something.

Anyway, the best thing for Labour tonight would be a cataclysm to severe that it brought Corbyn's reign to an end. That seems unlikely though. It will be bad but not *quite* that bad enough.

As to Slaven Bilic, he is there. The board won't appoint him. Sack the board!

The members chose this. They love Corbyn. It's the voters who are wrong. Labour has many more crushing defeats to go before the hard left loses its control of the Stupid party.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Sunderland Labour hold - Full result Lab 22, Tory 2, LD 1. Labour down 8%, UKIP up 6% since 2012. Since 2015 Lab up 4%, UKIP down 8%
  • Options
    Emily in UKIP purple tonight
  • Options

Scottish sun say labour in 3rd in Scotland.

bbc says not likely they'll be 3rd
  • Options
    Sunderland

Lab +1
    LD +1
    Ind -2
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    :o she's comparing to 2012...

and now 2015 :o
  • Options
    Sky are being slow as they are too excited by their exclusive on Burnham.
  • Options
    Goodbye Sunderland. See you next year
  • Options
    RobD said:

The heretic!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

The heretic!
    ;)
  • Options
    @JackTindale: "And if you're a member of Scottish Labour and don't want to find out the results of the election, please bury your head in your hands now."
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Artist said:

Labour losing control of Wales isn't the most outlandish event.

Not least as they don't control it now (30/60 seats). But I think UKIP are going to make a serious impact in a number of places, as the referendum casts its shadow - same sort of thing as we saw in Scotland with pro-independnece voters going SNP as a natural corollary.
    Pinhead dancing there..
    26 seats for Lab. Plaid/Labour coalition.
  • Options
    @BraidenHT: Ok. Most forensic stuff yet. SNP in most Glasgow seats 55% & above. Pollok 62%. Maryhill 62%. Labour averaging around 25% so far. Wow. #sp16
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,952
    What the etbj is Jeremy Vine wearing? Is that a CGI BBC set?
  • Options
    Thrasher is talking about equally indications of sub 30% for labour on national vote share.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Wish the BBC had added the actual majority on their graphics when they listed the marginal/safe seats in order of majority.
    Turn over for 1981 ToTP on BBC4. Great stuff from OMD.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed but still room to improve as night goes on
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

You're sounding like Hunchman.

This electoral cycle rubbish is also pointless because only recently did we regularise the general elections to every 5 years.

You want to compare to 2011 because comparison to 2012, when the same wards and councils were contested and thus the obvious comparator, is going to make Labour look like a hopeless political party.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    They seem to think labour will be crushed. Much talk though of the disgraceful campaign run by Zak even from Conservatives.

A pity because it'll give Corbyn a small hillock of high ground which could become the story of the elction.
  • Options
    Sunderland swing of 2% from Labour to Tories since 2011.

Points to a Tory majority of 44 in 2020.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

Also agreed (tho the English spoken down here in the Rhone Valley is still lamentable.

The French are certainly friendlier and keener to please. They've lost the last of that aloofness, the inbred sense of superiority. Decline has maybe made them nicer. A fine irony.
    At least the regional cheeses are still very French and superb! :)

Where in the Rhone?
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Are they playing Enola Gay especially for Labour?
  • Options
    Jon Craig on Sky saying that UKIP will be second in the Ogmore by-election, according to local Tories.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Scott_P said:

@BraidenHT: Ok. Most forensic stuff yet. SNP in most Glasgow seats 55% & above. Pollok 62%. Maryhill 62%. Labour averaging around 25% so far. Wow. #sp16

And McDonnell is trying to say there will be an increasing share of the vote. That is almost unbelievable.
  • Options
    Fascinating from Sir Lynton's business partner

https://twitter.com/TextorMark/status/728361512901877760
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016
    John McDonnell on BBC 1 refusing to elaborate on why Labour are going to lose seats. Only willing to say it is complex. He must have said complex about 100 times in just a few minutes.
  • Options
    Kate McCann @KateEMcCann

"Don't judge us at this election" says John McDonnell. I have a feeling that might be wishful thinking
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Titter !!
  • Options
    Roger said:

They seem to think labour will be crushed. Much talk though of the disgraceful campaign run by Zak even from Conservatives.

A pity because it'll give Corbyn a small hillock of high ground which could become the story of the elction.

The membership is his firewall. Nick Palmer and co are quite content for Corbyn to lead Labour to catastrophe in 2020.

• Options
    Is there a full list of the Sunderland ward results available anywhere?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Sandpit said:

Jon Craig on Sky saying that UKIP will be second in the Ogmore by-election, according to local Tories.

It was always to be expected.
  • Options
    McDonnel on the Beeb trying to explain why Labour shouldn't be judged on the election results.

That's like not judging a F1 driver by his lap times.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Absolutely - and the more they big up that win the easier writing the 2020 Tory election playbook will be.

Posters in the midland 'marginals': Labour isn't working in Birmingham, Vote Conservative.
    Posters in Scotland: Labour isn't working in Scotland, Vote Conservative to save the Union
    Posters in the South: Labour Loves London, Vote Conservative
    Posters in the North: Like London, you'll Love Labour

Posters everywhere. Labour is a London party, for everywhere else, Vote Conservative
  • Options

Kate McCann @KateEMcCann

"Don't judge us at this election" says John McDonnell. I have a feeling that might be wishful thinking

The members will lap it up. And that's all that matters.

• Options
    @BBCsarahsmith: Labour seem pretty sure they have lost every Glasgow constituency seat and fear a very bad night across Scotland.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Are they playing Enola Gay especially for Labour?
    A more obscure one.

I love the costumes and hair of the forgotten acts and songs, and the gawky audience. A great window into the past.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Titter !!
    Time to go balls deep on Zac?
This discussion has been closed.