Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2016

Curtice still getting in terrible night for Tories...

Having just watched him he didn't say that at all. You really do post some obsessive rubbish about the BBC.
    It was a joke...a long standing one on pb.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,160
    Net changes in councillors

Lab +2 Con 0 LD 0 UKIP +3 Grn 0
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Curtice still getting in terrible night for Tories...

Having just watched him he didn't say that at all. You really do post some obsessive rubbish about the BBC.
    To be fair, he didn't say the Tories were having a spectacular night. That's bad enough ;)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    UKIP eating into WWC vote could make all our discussions about Labour needing a centrist leader moot anyway. Might simply be no way back for a party that has abandoned its historic core supporters in favour of identity politics....
  • Options

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges · 7m7 minutes ago

Labour sources saying pattern emerging of fall in turnout in key Labour areas, but increase in key Tory areas.

zac o'clock

I just refuse to believe he has a chance...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,314
    Yep - overall Curtice conclusion (to the extent there was one) was bad night for Labour.

ie Lab 7% down on what Ed Miliband did and he went on to lose a GE.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    BBC banner - "Lib Dems retain overall control of Orkney Islands"

Did the LDs just win a directly elected dictator election?
  • Options
    RobD said:

BBC banner - "Lib Dems retain overall control of Orkney Islands"

Did the LDs just win a directly elected dictator election?

LOL
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges · 7m7 minutes ago

Labour sources saying pattern emerging of fall in turnout in key Labour areas, but increase in key Tory areas.

zac o'clock

I just refuse to believe he has a chance...
    I wonder where & why all this zac ramping is coming from.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JamieRoss7: Edinburgh Southern will go to Labour, according to a source.

Ruth short in Central apparently
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

John McDonnell scares me rigid. His ability to peddle hard left (and frankly farcical) leadership lines in such a believable and, dare I say it, empathic way is far, far better than Corbyn.

Which is why I think it will be McDonnell, not Corbyn, who leads Labour in 2020
    Blairites won't stand for that.

Would trigger SDP Mk II.

Only reason that Corbyn is still in place is because of his incompetence.
    Where is the SDP Mk II going to win under FPTP, Blairites will not even be able to do a deal with Farron's LDs. They will have to grit their teeth and wait for Chuka in 2020
    SDP Mk II would have more hope against a divided Tory party.

The worry from a Blairite POV is that McDonnell does enough to survive.
    Under PR maybe, not under FPTP. If McDonnell fails to lead the largest party or get enough seats to form a government the Blairite MPs will oust him but he will probably step down anyway
    Why would he step down? You're fundamentally misunderstanding the hard left takeover of the Labour party.

He failed to win the election that is why and as I said if he did not the MPs would have the excuse to oust him they did not pre-election
    As I said, misunderstanding the hard left takeover of Labour leadership.
    No, that is practical reality. The hard left do not have a majority of MPs, so MPs can oust the Labour leader if he fails to perform and failing to win a general election would give them the mandate to do so and they would do just that
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited May 2016
    AndyJS said:

Conservatives hold Edgbaston by 78 votes.

There has been a swing to Labour in the few Birmingham seats we've had so far.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Labour on course to take Stockport Council
  • Options
    Tory gains in Trafford mooted.
  • Options

Apparently Trump has come out in favour of Brexit.

I wonder if this is the first payback for Cameron. Perhaps Trump will start calling him lyiin' Dave.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

John McDonnell scares me rigid. His ability to peddle hard left (and frankly farcical) leadership lines in such a believable and, dare I say it, empathic way is far, far better than Corbyn.

Would trigger SDP Mk II.

Where is the SDP Mk II going to win under FPTP, Blairites will not even be able to do a deal with Farron's LDs. They will have to grit their teeth and wait for Chuka in 2020

Under PR maybe, not under FPTP. If McDonnell fails to lead the largest party or get enough seats to form a government the Blairite MPs will oust him but he will probably step down anyway
    Why would he step down? You're fundamentally misunderstanding the hard left takeover of the Labour party.

He failed to win the election that is why and as I said if he did not the MPs would have the excuse to oust him they did not pre-election
    No, that is practical reality. The left do not have a majority of MPs, so MPs can oust the Labour leader if he fails to perform and failing to win a general election would give them the mandate to do so and they would do just that
    Only for the die hard membership to elect another hard lefter.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    I love election nights!
  • Options
    @DanSandersonHT: Labour source on Labour Fife candidate Thomas Docherty: "He's a f*cking w*nker. Nobody in the party likes him."
  • Options

I love election nights!

There's nothing not to love (apart from cowboys and maybe cruise ships!)
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Mortimer said:

UKIP eating into WWC vote could make all our discussions about Labour needing a centrist leader moot anyway. Might simply be no way back for a party that has abandoned its historic core supporters in favour of identity politics....

UKIP has a wonderful opportunity over the next few years with the WWC vote providing Corbyn and McDonnell continue to head Labour into an electoral cul-de-sac
  • Options
    @davieclegg: Lib Dems think Willie Rennie may have the beating of the SNP in North East Fife. Would be extraordinary if true.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DanSandersonHT: Labour source on Labour Fife candidate Thomas Docherty: "He's a f*cking w*nker. Nobody in the party likes him."

What's he supposed to have done?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Would trigger SDP Mk II.

No, that is practical reality. The left do not have a majority of MPs, so MPs can oust the Labour leader if he fails to perform and failing to win a general election would give them the mandate to do so and they would do just that
    Only for the die hard membership to elect another hard lefter.
    They would not get the chance, with Corbyn and McDonnell gone no other hard lefter would get on the ballot paper, instead Chuka would effectively be anointed by MPs before it even got to the membership for approval
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Jack Duffin @JackDuffin

Sixth ward in Thurrock. UKIP Gain with 47% of the vote.
  • Options

I love election nights!

Aint they just great!!

This time last year I'd walked 16 miles in the neighbouring marginal GOTV, after a 28 mile final day of canvassing. Some long driveways in Dorset.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Very big turnout in Eastwood. 68.5% That is going to be seriously interesting. Tories in with a chance on current swings.
  • Options
    Conservatives hold Castle Point
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Laura K reading Labour's crib note live on air to McDonnell. Who looks like someone just pissed on his chips. Cracking telly.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Can't wait for the results from Barnet and Harrow later on!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I love election nights!

Aint they just great!!

This time last year I'd walked 16 miles in the neighbouring marginal GOTV, after a 28 mile final day of canvassing. Some long driveways in Dorset.....
    It'd help if you didn't have a 14 mile driveway ;):D
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Artist said:

AndyJS said:

Conservatives hold Edgbaston by 78 votes.

There has been a swing to Labour in the few Birmingham seats we've had so far.
    Demographic change.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Laura K reading Labour's crib note live on air to McDonnell. Who looks like someone just pissed on his chips. Cracking telly.

Wish I had seen that but couldn't bear him anymore. Laura is great.
  • Options
    Laura k revealing the speaking notes...wonder who leaked them?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

UKIP has a wonderful opportunity over the next few years with the WWC vote providing Corbyn and McDonnell continue to head Labour into an electoral cul-de-sac
    My thinking is that WWC are not going to return to a hard left party or a Blairite party either...

Labour: time to put a fork in
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

I love election nights!

Aint they just great!!

Damn - you're the first person who has spotted that....
  • Options
    Labour on zero gains / losses now in council seats. Heading into the NEGATIVE
  • Options
    McDonnell is frightening. Laura K thought she had knifed him with the leaked Labour briefing doc. He turned it around with apparent self-deprecating charm.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

I love election nights!

Aint they just great!!

Damn - you're the first person who has spotted that....
    Convenient positioning of the post office at the top though, to drop off the leaflets ;)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    This is sad on many levels:

sarah smith ‏@BBCsarahsmith

Labour sources in Scotland keen to point out if they are beaten into 3rd place it is not Tories overtaking them, it is Labour undertaking
  • Options
    Just to say that, despite the spin from McDonnell and now Emily Maitlis, saying "Labour have increased from 2015" is also a useless comparator, just as comparing to 2012 is useless.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/728379089099329536
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

He laughed and said he had written them (in a joking manner)
  • Options
    Labour NEGATIVE now.

Eastwood going to be very interesting. And noises about Ruth D performing well in Ed Central.
  • Options
    Weymouth NOC
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Labour sources in Scotland keen to point out if they are beaten into 3rd place it is not Tories overtaking them, it is Labour undertaking

lol
  • Options

McDonnell is frightening. Laura K thought she had knifed him with the leaked Labour briefing doc. He turned it around with apparent self-deprecating charm.

Very good performance from him tonight. As you say, absolutely frightening.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Just to say that, despite the spin from McDonnell and now Emily Maitlis, saying "Labour have increased from 2015" is also a useless comparator, just as comparing to 2012 is useless.

I don't think the BBC has compared to 2011 once on their show though ;)
  • Options
    Luckily only about 9 people are watching this broadcast - and they're mostly PB Tories.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

That is one of the maddest bits of spin ever.

How can it be good to claim that it is not your opponents doing really well, it is you doing really, really, really badly?!
  • Options

Never forget the hate, they always have their hate.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    hunchman said:

Labour NEGATIVE now.

Eastwood going to be very interesting. And noises about Ruth D performing well in Ed Central.

Labour third in Eastwood I assume. Between Tories and SNP, probably.
  • Options
    @HTScotPol: LibDems believe they are ahead in Edinburgh Western. Tories at #edincount also say seat is looking good for LibDems
  • Options
    The speed at which these very small constituencies are being counted in Scotland is really derisory. The counters in Sunderland are probably in their beds by now.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

My thinking is that WWC are not going to return to a hard left party or a Blairite party either...

Most of the wwc who would defect to UKIP from Labour have already gone, most last year, the biggest gains UKIP will make from now until 2020 are likely to be from Tories, especially those who voted Leave if it is a narrow Remain
  • Options
    Phil McCann @phi1mccann

UKIP make their first gain from Labour in Bolton, in Little Lever & Darcy Lever:
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Well said.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

noises about Ruth D performing well in Ed Central.

Not well enough it seems
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Weymouth/Portland so far Lab 5 held 4 gain 1 from Con lose 1 to Lib Dem
    Con 1 held 1 lose 1 to Lab
    Lib Dem 4 held 3 gain 1 from Lab
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

hunchman said:

Labour NEGATIVE now.

Labour third in Eastwood I assume. Between Tories and SNP, probably.
    Murphy vote moving back to the Tories it would seem.

Speaking of Mr Murphy, according to Wiki: "After the 2015 election, Murphy became an advisor to the Finnish non-profit Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), advising on "conflict resolution in central Asia"

Will he come back at some point into Labour politics in Scotland?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

Most of the wwc who would defect to UKIP from Labour have already gone, most last year, the biggest gains UKIP will make from now until 2020 are likely to be from Tories, especially those who voted Leave if it is a narrow Remain
    Disagree totally.

For Labour, 2020 in England could be like 2015 in Scotland. Just imagine that....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Edinburgh Southern looking good for LABOUR - BBC
  • Options
    Are UKIP in a position to win any council tonight?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

They seem to think 2012 is the equivalent point to compare against......
  • Options
    Floater said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Auntie knows best ;)
  • Options
    Floater said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

They're also comparing to 2015, which is also useless.
  • Options
    @HTScotPol: Labour sources at #edincount still confident party will come second nationally
  • Options
    (Rutherglen) another one bites the dust
  • Options
    Tavish Scott "confident" of holding Shetland for LibDems - BBC
  • Options

Not sure if I agree, but an interesting line of thought which hadn't occured to me before,
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

noises about Ruth D performing well in Ed Central.

Not well enough it seems
    I remember for the short time I lived in Polworth getting a leaflet through from Sarah Boyack - I see she is standing for Labour again this time - 3rd would be humiliating for her after being the MSP for 12 years.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

Disagree totally.

For Labour, 2020 in England could be like 2015 in Scotland. Just imagine that....
    No way, the difference was in indyref Labour voters were split, Tories overwhelmingly for No, so the SNP's main target was Yes Labour voters, in EU ref Tory voters are split, a clear majority of Labour voters are for Remain, so UKIP's main target will be Leave Tory voters
  • Options
    RobD said:

Rotherham, Lincoln.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

Disagree totally.

No way, the difference was in indyref Labour voters were split, Tories overwhelmingly for No, so the SNP's main target was Yes Labour voters, in EU ref Tory voters are split, a clear majority of Labour voters are for Remain, so UKIP's main target will be Leave Tory voters
    Not when Leave wins!

More seriously, it is not all about voters switching.

It is about previous voters staying at home.

That is how Blair won a landslide in 1997. Tory voters stayed at home.

Imagine if 25% of Labour voters stayed at home in the North in 2020.
  • Options
    Labour has lost three seats to Tories in Nuneaton, but still hold council
  • Options

Not sure if I agree, but an interesting line of thought which hadn't occured to me before,

I agree totally - Tory to UKIP en masse after the EU referendum and when the global sovereign debt crisis begins properly and sterling slides. Still think the USD (important) low to come the week after next.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Rotherham, Lincoln.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Floater said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

They're also comparing to 2015, which is also useless.
    But not 2011 ;)
  • Options
    Labour have lost Holyrood in Bury to the LDs.
  • Options
    Current state of English Council seats (1.29am) Labour 227 (-4) Cons 81 (+5) LibDems 27 (-3) Indy 10 (-4) UKIP 8 (+6) Green 1 (0)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Rotherham, Lincoln.
    Oo, and Thurrock? No UKIP would be just short if they own the remaining seats.
  • Options
    Stockport LibDem leader loses seat - other LibDem losses on council - R5Live
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

That is one of the maddest bits of spin ever.

How can it be good to claim that it is not your opponents doing really well, it is you doing really, really, really badly?!
    Well, if your objective is to damage the current leadership as much as possible?
  • Options
    Labour hold Stevenage
  • Options
    Labour hold Chorley, Rochdale and Hull
  • Options

Current state of English Council seats (1.29am) Labour 227 (-4) Cons 81 (+5) LibDems 27 (-3) Indy 10 (-4) UKIP 8 (+6) Green 1 (0)

O/T - How are your cats going on Plato? Our two remaining Persians getting very old now - the white will be 18 in 7 weeks time, and our black persian will be 17 around the EU referendum too, her sight is causing concern, and she bumps into a few things, and we can't scatter the munchies for her any longer. But apart from that she's fine bless her.
  • Options
    :smiley:

Phil Rodgers @PhilRodgers

I don't think I'm committing an election offence to reveal that one voter drew a portrait of Iron Man on their PCC ballot & voted for it.
  • Options
    @HTScotPol: LibDem sources at #edincount say @willie_rennie has gained North East Fife from SNP
  • Options
    Labour spin lines on BBC looking increasingly like 2015. About 2 hours behind the times....
  • Options
    @ianssmart: No harm to the media but if these individual contest predictions are correct the Nats might not have 65. Surely that's the story.
  • Options
    When are we going to get the 3rd Scottish declaration? Seems a long wait after Orkney and Rutherglen!
  • Options
    @HTScotPol: Labour sources at #edincount reckon Iain Gray has held East Lothian
  • Options
    I can't wait to see my corbyn-raving luvvy mates on fb explain tonight....
  • Options
    hunchman said:

I agree totally - Tory to UKIP en masse after the EU referendum and when the global sovereign debt crisis begins properly and sterling slides. Still think the USD (important) low to come the week after next.

There will be Tory to UKIP movement but more in the manner of Lab to LD after the Iraq War than Lab to SNP after indyref rather than en masse. If Remain win a sterling slide is less likely though
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

There will be Tory to UKIP movement but more in the manner of Lab to LD after the Iraq War than Lab to SNP after indyref rather than en masse. If Remain win a sterling slide is less likely though
    Handy hint: the future doesn't have to be like the past....
  • Options
    hunchman said:

When are we going to get the 3rd Scottish declaration? Seems a long wait after Orkney and Rutherglen!

Its really pathetic.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

Disagree totally.

Not when Leave wins!

More seriously, it is not all about voters switching.

It is about previous voters staying at home.

That is how Blair won a landslide in 1997. Tory voters stayed at home.

Imagine if 25% of Labour voters stayed at home in the North in 2020.
    Under FPTP that would make little difference considering most of the northern seats have comfortable Labour majorities
  • Options
    Sky council seats declaration miles behind the Beeb. Hunchman praising the BBC! What's happening!
This discussion has been closed.