Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    hunchman said:

Current state of English Council seats (1.29am) Labour 227 (-4) Cons 81 (+5) LibDems 27 (-3) Indy 10 (-4) UKIP 8 (+6) Green 1 (0)

O/T - How are your cats going on Plato? Our two remaining Persians getting very old now - the white will be 18 in 7 weeks time, and our black persian will be 17 around the EU referendum too, her sight is causing concern, and she bumps into a few things, and we can't scatter the munchies for her any longer. But apart from that she's fine bless her.
    All naughty - and moulting... 18yrs &17 yrs old! That's a fine innings so far.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    During the election campaign I have been careful not to say this in public or on the internet before the close of poll, so here it is:

Zac Goldsmith's campaign was offensive, patronising, off-putting, negative and pathetic with its religious and racial profiling and insinuations about Sadiq Khan. I have been confused and in the dark about what his policies really mean on things like housing. If his campaign was so pathetic then I have concerns about his ability to administer and make executive decisions as Mayor of London.

I have felt great reluctance and some resentment about the fact that I was "supposed to" vote for Zac Goldsmith, just because i happen to be a member of the Conservative Party, and for weeks I have been struggling with my decision about how to vote.

On one hand, I wanted to express my dissatisfaction with Zac's campaign, but on the other hand I was not prepared to accept the premise of suggesting that Zac Goldsmith and Sadiq Khan were equally bad. Saying "they're both as bad as each other", and abstaining or spoiling a ballot paper, is a cop-out which for me is not a realistic option. I have also become increasingly conscious of the fact that I am de-facto a member of the Gavin Barwell Party, not the Zac Goldsmith Party.

My options were:
    (a) Vote for Zac Goldsmith anyway, despite my reservations;
    (b) Register a protest by voting for Sian Berry in the 1st round, and transfer to Zac Goldsmith in the 2nd round;
    (c) Vote for Sian Berry in the 1st round and perhaps Caroline Pidgeon in the 2nd round;
    (d) abstain, or leave the paper blank;
    (e) spoil the paper by writing a message;
    (f) Vote for Zac Goldsmith, but write a message saying "This is a vote for Zac Goldsmith even though he is a pathetic nauseating twit".

In the end, I decided to do (b).
    I couldn't stomach the idea of voting in a way that suggests that Zac Goldsmith and Sadiq Khan were equally bad, so that ruled out (c), (d) or (e).
    I didn't want to do (f) or (e) because - having been at the count last two times - I knew it would simply create extra unwanted work for the election staff at the count, who have thousands of doubtful votes to adjudicate already.

-------

P.S. My parents shared my dissatisfaction with Zac Goldsmith, so they voted Zac 1 and Sian Berry 2 (from the conversation we had, it seems they didn't fully understand the voting system, but they had a vague idea that it was a way of making a protest).

P.P.S. I didn't vote until 2:40pm in the afternoon. I would normally have voted on the dot of 7am, but I still hadn't made a final decision on how to vote until later, and i wanted to sleep on it before making a final decision.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

Most of the wwc who would defect to UKIP from Labour have already gone, most last year, the biggest gains UKIP will make from now until 2020 are likely to be from Tories, especially those who voted Leave if it is a narrow Remain

Not sure if I agree, but an interesting line of thought which hadn't occured to me before,
    I agree totally - Tory to UKIP en masse after the EU referendum and when the global sovereign debt crisis begins properly and sterling slides. Still think the USD (important) low to come the week after next.
    There will be Tory to UKIP movement but more in the manner of Lab to LD after the Iraq War than Lab to SNP after indyref rather than en masse. If Remain win a sterling slide is less likely though

A sterling slide will happen irrespective of what happens on 23rd June over the next 20 months.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

UKIP eating into WWC vote could make all our discussions about Labour needing a centrist leader moot anyway. Might simply be no way back for a party that has abandoned its historic core supporters in favour of identity politics....

UKIP has a wonderful opportunity over the next few years with the WWC vote providing Corbyn and McDonnell continue to head Labour into an electoral cul-de-sac
    My thinking is that WWC are not going to return to a hard left party or a Blairite party either...

Labour: time to put a fork in
    Most of the wwc who would defect to UKIP from Labour have already gone, most last year, the biggest gains UKIP will make from now until 2020 are likely to be from Tories, especially those who voted Leave if it is a narrow Remain
    Disagree totally.

For Labour, 2020 in England could be like 2015 in Scotland. Just imagine that....
    No way, the difference was in indyref Labour voters were split, Tories overwhelmingly for No, so the SNP's main target was Yes Labour voters, in EU ref Tory voters are split, a clear majority of Labour voters are for Remain, so UKIP's main target will be Leave Tory voters
    Not when Leave wins!

More seriously, it is not all about voters switching.

It is about previous voters staying at home.

That is how Blair won a landslide in 1997. Tory voters stayed at home.

Imagine if 25% of Labour voters stayed at home in the North in 2020.
    Under FPTP that would make little difference considering most of the northern seats have comfortable Labour majorities
    Urm, http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    hunchman said:

Sky council seats declaration miles behind the Beeb. Hunchman praising the BBC! What's happening!

The discussion on the BBC is rubbish in terms of results, Sky better on that score but in terms of getting out results on the rolling tracker at the bottom of the screen the Beeb winning hands down!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Bolton Council @boltoncouncil

Result for Kearsley ward - UKIP party candidate Mark CUNNINGHAM elected #LE2016 #Bolton

Dudley Council @dudleymbc

#Wordsley UKIP Gain #DudleyElections #LE2016 dudley.gov.uk/community/elec…
  • Options
    Labour hold St Helens
  • Options

hunchman said:

Current state of English Council seats (1.29am) Labour 227 (-4) Cons 81 (+5) LibDems 27 (-3) Indy 10 (-4) UKIP 8 (+6) Green 1 (0)

O/T - How are your cats going on Plato? Our two remaining Persians getting very old now - the white will be 18 in 7 weeks time, and our black persian will be 17 around the EU referendum too, her sight is causing concern, and she bumps into a few things, and we can't scatter the munchies for her any longer. But apart from that she's fine bless her.
    All naughty - and moulting... 18yrs &17 yrs old! That's a fine innings so far.
    Less in the way of food bills during moulting......that's about the only thing you can say for it though!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    I can't believe this compare to 2015 spin is being given any credance. It is apples & oranges.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

Not sure if I agree, but an interesting line of thought which hadn't occured to me before,
    I agree totally - Tory to UKIP en masse after the EU referendum and when the global sovereign debt crisis begins properly and sterling slides. Still think the USD (important) low to come the week after next.
    There will be Tory to UKIP movement but more in the manner of Lab to LD after the Iraq War than Lab to SNP after indyref rather than en masse. If Remain win a sterling slide is less likely though
    Handy hint: the future doesn't have to be like the past....
    Yet it tends to repeat itself, Labour Remain voters are hardly going to switch to UKIP are they!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

@HTScotPol: Labour sources at #edincount reckon Iain Gray has held East Lothian

Is it bad that this is counting as a good night for SLAB....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    DavidL said:

hunchman said:

When are we going to get the 3rd Scottish declaration? Seems a long wait after Orkney and Rutherglen!

Its really pathetic.
    MI5 can't work miracles now, takes a bit of time to stuff those boxes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

Yet it tends to repeat itself, Labour Remain voters are hardly going to switch to UKIP are they!
    All those 23 WWC Remainiacs.....

• Options

I can't believe this compare to 2015 spin is being given any credance. It is apples & oranges.

Just like 2016 (Year 1 of the cycle) to 2012 (Year 2 of the cycle) is apples and oranges..... *whistles*
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,378
    Looks like the Lib Dems have held Shetland too. The Carmichael thing has not amused the voters.
  • Options
    Plaid changed their colours to yellow?
  • Options
    UKIP on five wins now

Thurrock Council @thurrockcouncil

Jack Duffin (UKIP) is elected councillor for Stanford East & Corringham Town with a majority of 496
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Looks like the Lib Dems have held Shetland too. The Carmichael thing has not amused the voters.

A bit like Gerry Malone in Winchester all those years ago. We Brits don't like sore losers!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

WWC Leave voters will most likely have voted UKIP in 2015 anyway, not Labour, so they are not now technically Labour voters
  • Options
    Josh Halliday @JoshHalliday

Hartlepool results: Labour holds the council. Ukip gained three seats, two of them from Labour.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JeremyCliffe: 11% swing from Labour to Conservatives in Nuneaton. Worse than last year's general election.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,848
    Danny565 said:

Just like 2016 (Year 1 of the cycle) to 2012 (Year 2 of the cycle) is apples and oranges..... *whistles*
    Can we please, please move council elections to a five year cycle (and not in general election years)?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

WWC Leave voters will most likely have voted UKIP in 2015 anyway, not Labour, so they are not now technically Labour voters
    Nope - there are depths as yet unplumbed by Labour.
  • Options
    @AlistairMay: A clear majority in Rutherglen voted for unionist parties. That didn't happen in General Election. #sp16
  • Options
    DavidL said:

LDs saying they think they've won East Fife from SNP
  • Options
    Labour holds Harlow
  • Options
    Labour holds Sandwell
  • Options
    Labour holds Hartlepool
  • Options
    Sky results tracker getting better as the night goes on
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Can we please, please move council elections to a five year cycle (and not in general election years)?
    Wasn't all this nonsense Tony Blair doing?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Presumably just to stop Danny harking on about it? ;-)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,315
    Mundell: Con vote has doubled in Glasgow.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

1 to 2 is still a doubling ;)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour won all wards in Sandwell
  • Options
    MikeL said:

From 1 to 2?
  • Options
    Labour GAIN Cleadon and East Boldon from the Conservatives on South Tyneside after recount
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

75% or so of Labour voters will vote Remain according to the polls, 55% of Tory voters will vote Leave, who has more to lose to UKIP if it is a close Remain?
  • Options
    Carwyn Jones on Sky explaining away poor Labour results tonight that 2011 was a high water mark!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited May 2016
    Mundell says Scottish Tory surge will push them into second place - BBC

"well on course ...."
  • Options
    Harlow results Lab 19 Tories 12 UKIP 2. No net change
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2016
    Recount at St Albans: St Peter's, and also in Sopwell.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Mundell says Scottish Tory surge will push them into second place - BBC

I watched the interview, and can confirm he used those exact words.... titters :D
  • Options
    Bury Lab -4 Tories +2
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,848

MikeL said:

From 1 to 2?
    Obviously Ruth Davidson moving out of the city had a big effect.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

75% or so of Labour voters will vote Remain according to the polls, 55% of Tory voters will vote Leave, who has more to lose to UKIP if it is a close Remain?
    Let me blow your mind slightly.

I am a Tory leaver.

I would vote Labour before I vote UKIP.

Most of my family are Labour voters. They're mostly WWC and will either vote UKIP or not vote next time.

Labour will lose WWC vote not because of Europe.
    Tories will not lose much MC vote to UKIP regardless of the result in June.
  • Options
    2011 was a fairly good year....but there's a way in the middle between 42 and 30%
    hunchman said:

Carwyn Jones on Sky explaining away poor Labour results tonight that 2011 was a high water mark!

• Options
    Thurrock UKIP 17 Lab 14 Tories 14. UKIP largest party
  • Options
    Kevin Alcock @kevina364

UKIP gain Laindon Park ward from Labour on Basildon
  • Options
    Tories hold Rushmoor
  • Options
    Labour holds Wirral
  • Options
    Bolehall in Tamworth is a Lab hold. So no wipe out from Tamworth
  • Options
    This is unbelievable. Coming on for 2am and 2 seats declared.
  • Options
    Tories hold Tamworth
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Thornberry is a hopeless spinner.

She pushes it just too far when compared to McMao.
  • Options
    Stockport NOC (LDs largest party)
  • Options
    Tories hold Tandridge
  • Options
    Southend NOC (Tories largest party)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'm sure I recall in 2011 that a good slug of the Central Belt had declared by 2am!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hopeless isn't it - constituencies are mostly tiny, why the delay?!
  • Options
    All SLAB politicians saying Dudgale must carry only are only doing to avoid become the next leader to be smashed away?
  • Options
    Declaration — Hamilton...
  • Options
    Hamilton declaration
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hamilton Larkhall

SNP 13945
    Lab 8508
    LD 836
    Tories 5596

SNP hold, swing 5% from Lab to SNP

• Options
    Glascote in Tamworth is a UKIP gain from Lab
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Got a third one now. Comfortable SNP hold. Tory vote well up though and Labour down 10% again.
  • Options
    Isn't that a Scottish Tory surge? :o
  • Options
    SNP "only" up 1000 votes on 2011 in Hamilton.

Compared to expectations, it might be a tad disappointing night for them.
  • Options
    Hart NOC (Tories largest party)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Got a third one now. Comfortable SNP hold.
    Its not as though they've got to split the ballot papers up for other elections going on in Scotland today!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,315
    Hamilton:

Lab -10%
    Con +9%
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Hamilton:

Lab -10%
    Con +9%

I'd call that a surge :D
  • Options
    @alexmassie: Tory vote in Hamilton up by 9 points; that bodes well (I think) for their chances on the list vote. A degree of Labour glumness around.
  • Options
    Hamilton, Larkhall and Stonehouse: SNP: 48.3% (+0.2) LAB: 29.5% (-9.9) CON: 19.4% (+9.3) LDEM: 2.9% (+0.5) SNP Hold.
  • Options
    9.5% swing from Labour to Tory in Hamilton
  • Options
    hunchman said:

9.5% swing from Labour to Tory in Hamilton

Oh baby
  • Options
    Labour hold Bolton
  • Options
    @AlbertoNardelli: Sedgley

CON: 45.4% (+27.2)
    LAB: 43.8% (-16.5)

Extraordinary swing https://t.co/lSln4CoXxa
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Thornbury playing with her phone live on telly.

I feel sorry for Labour if she is the best they can rustle up to present their case.

• Options
    Labour hold Hastings
  • Options
    Labour -14 Tory + 11 in council seats now
  • Options
    Labour likely to hold Birmingham
  • Options

I feel sorry for Labour if she is the best they can rustle up to present their case.

Just checking if Sheridan has called...
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Labour -14 Tory + 11 in council seats now

UKIP +15, LD -4
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,133

She looked like she was about to cry as she paused before answering the question about Scotland.
  • Options
    They have held it now even if they lose all the wards still to declare.
    HYUFD said:

Labour likely to hold Birmingham

• Options
    Walsall NOC
  • Options
    Tories hold Swindon
  • Options
    Labour hold Oldham
  • Options
    Tories hold Runneymede
  • Options
    @GawainTowler: Sky predicting that @UKIP will win a Scottish seat - @DavidCoburnUKip Hello Holywood... damn it Hollyrood
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Rennie "wins" Fife East - BBC
  • Options

She looked like she was about to cry as she paused before answering the question about Scotland.
    He has probably been asking for money again or she finally realised he is gay.
  • Options
    Wales is so slow....
  • Options
    Jess Phillips and Faisal very chummy on Sky
  • Options
    Changes in Tamworth will all 10 wards declared, compared to 2012:

Con -5.1%
    Lab -13.9%
    UKIP +22.2%
    LD -2.3%
    Green -1.4%
    Ind +0.5%
  • Options

Wales is so slow....

Everywhere is so slow!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    AndyJS said:

Changes in Tamworth will all 10 wards declared, compared to 2012:

Con -5.1%
    Lab -13.9%
    UKIP +22.2%
    LD -2.3%
    Green -1.4%
    Ind +0.5%

But what about 2015 comparison :-)
  • Options
    General Election @UKGE2020

Current state of English Council seats (2.09am)

Lab 380 (-16)
    Con 196 (+11)
    LDs 53 (-4)
    Indy 22 (-6)
    UKIP 19 (+15)
    Grn 3 (+1)
    OTH 3 (-1)
  • Options
    Changes in Tamworth will all 10 wards declared, compared to 2012: Con -5.1% Lab -13.9% UKIP +22.2% LD -2.3% Green -1.4% Ind +0.5%
  • Options
    NumbrCrunchrPolitics @NCPoliticsUK

Lib Dems have taken control of Rugby Borough Council from the Tories #libdemfightback
This discussion has been closed.