Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,380
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

Twitter is suggesting low turnout in Scotland.

It was already pretty low last time at 50%.
    Have to say my hat is looking pretty safe. 80%? Pah.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Danny565 said:
    I'll say it again - Wow Ukip if the YouGov poll is right.
    What a kick up the arse that'd be for Labour!
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

I'm sorry Mike Smithson, as much as I love Lancashire, I am going to have to re-post my love of Italy from earlier in response to an attack on Italian cuisine (unthinkable)

I'm sorry...Italian cuisine is sublime. The simplicity. Provided you stay out of a tourist trap and keep to local trattorias, it is literally impossible to eat or drink badly in Italy.

For people who love food, wine, the weather, the landscape, the sea, mountains, the history...and the fact that Italians love the English. The hotels are great. The coffee. You can get to gigs in the summer for £20, and I mean top bands. The cakes, the grappa, the apperetivo....the fact that in summer everything comes to life. The sun, The walks. The quality of the hotels. The light...those wonderful Italian dusks and dawns. The sense of fun and happiness. And it's cheap.

Or you could go somewhere else. Why?

Italy is now, unquestionably, a much more appealing destination in terms of food and wine, from top to bottom.

France is still much better organised though, and the French have worked on their manners even as they've forgotten how to cook.

Also Corsica. Corsica is what France used to be. Surly, grumpy, but fucking beautiful and impossibly seductive and blessed with tremendous home made food. The last redoubt of Frenchness is the half Italian isle of Le Corse. Discuss.

I think there's a good case to be made that Italy has always been the true epicentre of European cuisine.

(That's to say, I think there are two truly great world centres of food. One is in Europe, the other South-east Asia. There's lots of brilliant food from elsewhere but those are the places, above all, where humans have really understood how to cook. For my money the pinnacle in Europe is Italy.)
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Any sign of a London on-the-day YouGov? I was part of that.

Today is going to be the first election night in at least a decade that I haven't stayed up late for results. Not important enough to take the Friday off work as I did last year (and before that I did years of shift work). Weird feeling.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

Yes, there's a truth in that. In some respects France has just been naturally overtaken by competitors, who learned from her pioneering supremacy, then applied her techniques with greater innovation or resources.

The same happened to the English/British with all the sports we invented. People copied us at football, then, thanks to sheer weight of numbers, we eventually got outstripped - there were bound to be countries which could beat us at football.

Yet the food in France, if I'm not mistaken, is a different case. It isn't just in relative decline (as is the case with the wine) - it's in absolute decline, actively getting a lot worse. Very odd. And rather sad.

I have always found you can eat very well in most French towns with a higher quality of food at a reasonable price than most British cafes, though at the top Michelin starred end the French supremacy may be over. Generally they are friendly, especially if you at least attempt to speak the language. Italy is a great country too but France has Paris, the Mediterrenean climate in the south and lots of history and is the most visited country in the world for a reason
    It's simply not true any more, tho. Most French bistros now serve reheated frozen food.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11533010/French-restaurants-are-just-re-heating-factory-food-chef-claims.html

I take no pleasure in this. I used to love going to France and anticipating the food. After this trip, which cements in place an uneasy impression that I'd already formed, I will never do that again. Sad.
    You're going to the wrong places
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Tamworth is usually one of the first councils to declare seats:

https://twitter.com/TamworthCouncil

Likely to three or four Con gains from Labour there ?
    At least. Labour could lose all the seats they're defending. Usually their safest ward is Bolehall but last year their majority there was down to 125 votes.

http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2012/330/
  • Options

Daily record guy on sky thinks labour done really badly in Scotland. Says the antisemitism stuff gone down really badly in parts of Scotland.

I kept looking at his Dr Sexy hair. Are there many Jews in Scotland?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

Yes, there's a truth in that. In some respects France has just been naturally overtaken by competitors, who learned from her pioneering supremacy, then applied her techniques with greater innovation or resources.

The same happened to the English/British with all the sports we invented. People copied us at football, then, thanks to sheer weight of numbers, we eventually got outstripped - there were bound to be countries which could beat us at football.

Yet the food in France, if I'm not mistaken, is a different case. It isn't just in relative decline (as is the case with the wine) - it's in absolute decline, actively getting a lot worse. Very odd. And rather sad.

I have always found you can eat very well in most French towns with a higher quality of food at a reasonable price than most British cafes, though at the top Michelin starred end the French supremacy may be over. Generally they are friendly, especially if you at least attempt to speak the language. Italy is a great country too but France has Paris, the Mediterrenean climate in the south and lots of history and is the most visited country in the world for a reason
    I have to disagree, though my visits to France have been confined to Normandy and the old battlefields - so the rest of France might be very different. Yes, the people are friendly, but overall the standards of food is pretty dire. There are some absolute gems of course and we have found a few, but pull up at a random Normandy eatery for lunch or dinner and the chances are you'd get a better meal at a random English pub or restaurant.

My neighbour, who is French (and so ought to know what he is talking about), was complaining about the state of French restaurant food only the other day. He told me that the French government are going to introduce a new law forcing restaurants to declare on the menu which dishes are bought-in boil-in-the-bag/microwave jobs. That the French government feels that such a law is necessary says a lot.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MartynMcL: Labour source at Glasgow #sp16 count already suggesting party may have lost every constituency in city.
  • Options
    @jamesmatthewsky: Early days, but the postal votes showing promise for Labour in Edinburgh Western. Michelle Thomson territory #sp16 @SkyNews
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Roger said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

It's simply not true any more, tho. Most French bistros now serve reheated frozen food.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11533010/French-restaurants-are-just-re-heating-factory-food-chef-claims.html

I take no pleasure in this. I used to love going to France and anticipating the food. After this trip, which cements in place an uneasy impression that I'd already formed, I will never do that again. Sad.
    You're going to the wrong places
    Reminds me of this classic Sun headline: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2381485/Gordon-Ramsays-posh-bistros-heat-up-cheap-food.html
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    That picture is wonderful!

At higher resolution, is it possible to read all the text on the posters?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

I have to disagree, though my visits to France have been confined to Normandy and the old battlefields - so the rest of France might be very different. Yes, the people are friendly, but overall the standards of food is pretty dire. There are some absolute gems of course and we have found a few, but pull up at a random Normandy eatery for lunch or dinner and the chances are you'd get a better meal at a random English pub or restaurant.

My neighbour, who is French (and so ought to know what he is talking about), was complaining about the state of French restaurant food only the other day. He told me that the French government are going to introduce a new law forcing restaurants to declare on the menu which dishes are bought-in boil-in-the-bag/microwave jobs. That the French government feels that such a law is necessary says a lot.
    I had revolting - almost inedible stuff dished up in Dieppe. And at a variety of cafes. British stuff was more reliable in terms of higher quality.
  • Options
    @theobertram: What would be a good night for Labour?
    - no Ken
    - no Hitler
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128

Daily record guy on sky thinks labour done really badly in Scotland. Says the antisemitism stuff gone down really badly in parts of Scotland.

The Eastwood constituency, to the south of Glasgow.
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: Labour aides reporting a "car crash" of a day in Glasgow
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    BBC was suggesting it's close between LD and SNP in EdWest
    Scott_P said:

@jamesmatthewsky: Early days, but the postal votes showing promise for Labour in Edinburgh Western. Michelle Thomson territory #sp16 @SkyNews

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    If Labour have done shite in Sheffield, then I wonder what's happened in Rotherham.

They have all out elections today.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MartynMcL: Labour source at Glasgow #sp16 count already suggesting party may have lost every constituency in city.

Groundhog day from 2015.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

The Eastwood constituency, to the south of Glasgow.
    Many thanks - great shame about Barnet electoral roll eff-up. The irony of Jews there being unable to vote against Labour...
  • Options
    @nickeardleybbc: Reports Labour do not expect to hold on to any constituencies in Glasgow tonight
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    But within sight of Corsica you have Sardegna.... The same landscape, probably better light, scenery. That turquoise sea. The beautiful people. Untouched, pristine beaches. Outside Cagliari, not a multi story hotel or building in site. Beautiful gardens,. Ichnusia beer. Vermentino wine. And the seafood.... The scoglio..... And the people are so friendly, and Anglophile.

For a seaside holiday, I could never, ever consider anywhere else...ever. I have to do 2 weeks in Sardinia every year. Mandatory. On a clear day, I can look across to Corsica mind and see just how beautiful that Island is too, but am just too happy, relaxed, chilled, fulfilled to be where I am. Being in Sardinia during summer...... it's like having a drip feed of E without any of the down effects.
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

I'm sorry Mike Smithson, as much as I love Lancashire, I am going to have to re-post my love of Italy from earlier in response to an attack on Italian cuisine (unthinkable)

I'm sorry...Italian cuisine is sublime. The simplicity. Provided you stay out of a tourist trap and keep to local trattorias, it is literally impossible to eat or drink badly in Italy.

For people who love food, wine, the weather, the landscape, the sea, mountains, the history...and the fact that Italians love the English. The hotels are great. The coffee. You can get to gigs in the summer for £20, and I mean top bands. The cakes, the grappa, the apperetivo....the fact that in summer everything comes to life. The sun, The walks. The quality of the hotels. The light...those wonderful Italian dusks and dawns. The sense of fun and happiness. And it's cheap.

Italy is now, unquestionably, a much more appealing destination in terms of food and wine, from top to bottom.

France is still much better organised though, and the French have worked on their manners even as they've forgotten how to cook.

Also Corsica. Corsica is what France used to be. Surly, grumpy, but fucking beautiful and impossibly seductive and blessed with tremendous home made food. The last redoubt of Frenchness is the half Italian isle of Le Corse. Discuss.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    For the first time in five years I am not working on election night! Nothing to worry about. Nothing to do. Wahey!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Yes They are fascinating in themselves.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Sardinia doesn't have the same spectacular landscape as (certainly northern) Corsica. The high mountains going straight down into the sea.
  • Options
    The % of the Welsh poll were

Const

L: 31%
    C: 21%
    PC: 19%
    U: 16%
    LD: 8%

Regional list

L: 30%
    PC: 21%
    Con: 19%
    UKIP: 16%
    LD: 6%
    G: 4%
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited May 2016
    So do we really have to wait until tomorrow evening before we know the London results? I've got my ladbrokes account up and itching. After the horrors of last year I'm not taking anything for granted.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

@nickeardleybbc: Reports Labour do not expect to hold on to any constituencies in Glasgow tonight

LOL, well duh.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    tyson said:

It's all true. Not as refined as French at its best but that's its charm. You can go anywhere and its lively fun and simple and it's uniformly good. Sometimes it feels like you've crept into a fellini film and that's when it's at its best. You're very lucky. So much better than Spain
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

I had some excellent seafood in Normandy last summer of course pub food is better than it was but in France you have a much better chance of getting a decent 3 or even 4 course meal at a reasonable price at lunchtime. The one area France has a huge advantage is service station food, you can get a good meat and vegetable dish and a tasty desert where in the UK you would be looking at a soggy pie and chips
  • Options
    On these figures Welsh Conservatives can still gain constituencies from Labour only to lose regional seats to UKIP. Their leader may be potentially at risk if they do well and gain both Cardiff North and Vale of Glamorgan
  • Options
    edited May 2016

If Labour have done shite in Sheffield, then I wonder what's happened in Rotherham.

They have all out elections today.

UKIP won the popular vote last time IIRC although Labour got most seats.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2016
    I am watching sky & they open with some homeless looking bloke with a red rossette on labours chances are. Look like he was going to cry at the nasty sky interviewer asking questions.
  • Options
    I have to say that this photo is simply stunning. I've just looked at it closely. It seems staged from a film set.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

My eye was certainly drawn to them! What a great piece of history.

Good night all. Hope those staying up to enjoy the fun have a good one :-)
  • Options

On these figures Welsh Conservatives can still gain constituencies from Labour only to lose regional seats to UKIP. Their leader may be potentially at risk if they do well and gain both Cardiff North and Vale of Glamorgan

If the polls put Labour on 30% they could well be in the high 20s going by how pollsters usually overestimate the party to at least some extent.
  • Options
    Labour holds Pallion Sunderland
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

It depends what you order too, the seafood in France tends to be excellent and the gesiers salads are always wonderful and I order them whenever they are on the menu
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Evening all

This is the first time I have logged in for a couple of weeks after my decision to withdraw from actively following the Euro ref, no tracking polls, no reading PB, no searching out of referendum articles in the quality press etc. This was for my own sanity as I was just getting too wound up and exercised by it all so elected to step back.

So basically I have been just picking up what comes naturally from 45 mins of radio 4 in the morning, occasional Metro on the train and perhaps 10 mins of News at 10 before bed. Other than that I have no idea of the recent daily highs and lows of the campaign. Perhaps like 95% of the popu;ation who are not politicos or nerds.

Anyway my conclusion is that most people will simply have no awareness of the toing and froing and are almost no-one is talking about it or showing any interest.

In two weeks the only 2 comments I have encountered are ear-wigging a train conversation about a retired Englishman living in Ireland who may take Irish citizenship if we leave EU and a most unexpected rant today by a young non-political lady of Indian origin at work (who will be voting Labour today because her local candidate is a neighbour who seems nice) about Obama's nerve at sticking his nose into our business. To my surprise,this was not appreciated at all. It really, really get her goat.

My conclusions? Dunno, Perhaps that this entire campaign is passing over peoples heads with little acknowledgement and less excitement. As such, the much vaunted blitzkrieg of REMAIN is just not filtering through. Attitudes may remain unchanged. And as those Brexit simply care more, in general, they will vote and they will win.

After tonight I will not be logging in again or lurking until Ref Night.

Cheers

FattyB

• Options
    "Andrew RT Davies (Welsh Con leader) just arrived in studio with the words "we're going to give them a bloody nose tonight."
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    So, Labour getting a kicking in Wales, Scotland and Yorkshire....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Francis U

I had revolting - almost inedible stuff dished up in Dieppe. And at a variety of cafes. British stuff was more reliable in terms of higher quality.
    I agree but there is a restaurant in Dieppe that serves up absolutely spiffing seafood at surprisingly reasonable prices. It also has a very nice selection of affordable wines and a few bottles of not so affordable, but oh so drinkable, cognac tucked away for their friends. The H&DGTS, visit once a year and always has a splendid luncheon.

As I say there are gems in France if you can find them, just that most of it is below the standard one would expect from a pretty normal English pub or restaurant.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Spot on. Could be knife edge stuff for them. They lost their leader last time in similar circumstances if I recall ( or was it the election before?) - they won a constituency in Mid Wales and lost a list seat as a result- the one the leader had.
  • Options
    Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Ave_it said:

Looks like Labour are going to get creamed!

Sadiq might be the only winner - and that's not nailed on!

Isn't the phrase "Labour going to get cheesed" - even more of a shellacking?
  • Options

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Do we know what the % changes are compared to previous years?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@steve_hawkes: Labour aides reporting a "car crash" of a day in Glasgow

The SNP have 5/9 Glasgow MSPs so now looking like they are repeating the clean sweep of the general election
  • Options
    McDonnell, "I can understand Northerners".
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    HYUFD said:

the gesiers salads are always wonderful

Can't disagree with that.
  • Options
    Have to say, having written off Lisa Nandy's chances when she was mentioned earlier today, she's coming across OK-ish on question Time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,373

Evening all,

The one on the right says 'Local Starvation'. Do we know what year this is?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Just the Catholic ones....oh we aren't talking about Ireland...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Sunderland St Anne's 71.4% - up 2.X
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

the gesiers salads are always wonderful

Can't disagree with that.
    Yes, I would happily eat that every lunchtime for evermore!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

That made me wince.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Danny565 said:

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Small swing to Lab from 2014 and 2015
  • Options
    Not thinking much of the weird pressure gauge thing on sky.
  • Options

"Andrew RT Davies (Welsh Con leader) just arrived in studio with the words "we're going to give them a bloody nose tonight."

If they do lose 3 seats in Wales (possibly including his own) he will have nothing to gloat about.
  • Options
    Nothing about Italy is refined. Even when they try to be, it just ends up gauche or gaudy which adds to it's charm. Italy is frivolous, loud, colourful and joyous which all springs to life during summer.

In winter though......they all look grey, about twenty years older, and worn down by life. But summer is only ever six months away.
    Roger said:

tyson said:

It's all true. Not as refined as French at its best but that's its charm. You can go anywhere and its lively fun and simple and it's uniformly good. Sometimes it feels like you've crept into a fellini film and that's when it's at its best. You're very lucky. So much better than Spain
  • Options
    Did I just hear Labour expect to cede control of W Ass?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Small swing to Lab from 2014 and 2015
    A rise in the Labour vote, or just them falling less than UKIP and/or Tories?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Was just thinking that there has been very little talk of what would make a good/bad night for the Tories. I suppose CCHQ is okay with that.
  • Options

Surely they'd be in a minority govt?
  • Options

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Lab 1688
    Con 506
    Grn 451
  • Options

W Ass??????
  • Options

I've no idea what it's meant be showing. I keep peering at it and not listening to the commentary
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Lab 1688
    Con 506
    Grn 451
    Corbyism sweeping the nation...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,020

It's just meaningless, isn't it?
    The best charts I see are the ones in the print editions of the FT and Washington Post. Very simple, mostly points of colour on a clear field, with not even a gridline in sight.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JWisemann said:

So do we really have to wait until tomorrow evening before we know the London results? I've got my ladbrokes account up and itching. After the horrors of last year I'm not taking anything for granted.

Yes. Any good late punts? I cannot see much to tempt.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Lab 1688
    Con 506
    Grn 451
    Yikes, turnout is abysmal.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

W Ass??????
    W. Ass. :)
  • Options
    EPG said:

It's just meaningless, isn't it?
    The best charts I see are the ones in the print editions of the FT and Washington Post. Very simple, mostly points of colour on a clear field, with not even a gridline in sight.
    What about a cowboy? :p
  • Options
    edited May 2016

chestnut said:

Pallino Ward Sunderland

Lab 1046
    UKIP 596
    Con2 61
    LD 91
    Green 71

Lab 1688
    Con 506
    Grn 451
    Corbyism sweeping the nation...
    % quite similar :p
  • Options

Evening all

This is the first time I have logged in for a couple of weeks after my decision to withdraw from actively following the Euro ref, no tracking polls, no reading PB, no searching out of referendum articles in the quality press etc. This was for my own sanity as I was just getting too wound up and exercised by it all so elected to step back.

So basically I have been just picking up what comes naturally from 45 mins of radio 4 in the morning, occasional Metro on the train and perhaps 10 mins of News at 10 before bed. Other than that I have no idea of the recent daily highs and lows of the campaign. Perhaps like 95% of the popu;ation who are not politicos or nerds.

Anyway my conclusion is that most people will simply have no awareness of the toing and froing and are almost no-one is talking about it or showing any interest.

In two weeks the only 2 comments I have encountered are ear-wigging a train conversation about a retired Englishman living in Ireland who may take Irish citizenship if we leave EU and a most unexpected rant today by a young non-political lady of Indian origin at work (who will be voting Labour today because her local candidate is a neighbour who seems nice) about Obama's nerve at sticking his nose into our business. To my surprise,this was not appreciated at all. It really, really get her goat.

My conclusions? Dunno, Perhaps that this entire campaign is passing over peoples heads with little acknowledgement and less excitement. As such, the much vaunted blitzkrieg of REMAIN is just not filtering through. Attitudes may remain unchanged. And as those Brexit simply care more, in general, they will vote and they will win.

After tonight I will not be logging in again or lurking until Ref Night.

Cheers

FattyB

Most polls suggest EU ref turnout of at least 65%
  • Options
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

W Ass??????
    Oh that W Ass.... ( still none the wiser)
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

W Ass??????
    Welsh Assembly :p
  • Options
    Lab down from around 65% to 50% in Sunderland Pallion.

Turnout down from 35% to 29.1%.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Tom Watson getting his defence in early on Sky. Says if you win / lose 100 seats really doesn't matter. Really? I mean seriously?

Oh well at least we can consign "it's been a terrrrrrrrribbblle night for the Tories" to the dustbin.

Or more likely NOT
  • Options
    @JamieRoss7: Edinburgh Western, which the Lib Dems fancied taking, is looking good for the SNP from very early indications.

That's the third different prediction for one seat so far
  • Options
    Watson on sky and his spin Is painful....sounds like it's going to be a terrrrrrrrible night for labour.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Lab down from around 65% to 50% in Sunderland Pallion.

Turnout down from 35% to 29.1%.

Tory vote down just as heavily.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

W Ass??????
    Cynulliad Cendlaethol would've made sense (!)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

AndyJS said:

Tamworth is usually one of the first councils to declare seats:

https://twitter.com/TamworthCouncil

Likely to be three or four Con gains from Labour there ?
    Presumably only 10 seats up for grabs - so 4 gains would be pretty good going
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Watson on sky and his spin Is painful....sounds like it's going to be a terrrrrrrrible night for labour.

Snap ....ish
    :lol:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,373
    Oh, you have to be kidding me:

"new study has revealed drinking alcohol does make people happier."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3575563/Alcohol-DOES-make-happier-short-term-experts-warn.html#ixzz47p37Aj00
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JamieRoss7: Edinburgh Western, which the Lib Dems fancied taking, is looking good for the SNP from very early indications.

That's the third different prediction for one seat so far

Its the most realistic one. SNP nailed on I would say.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,020
    Here's a WaPo chart which is slightly busier than usual, but still quite good compared to cowboys or Lib Dem paving tiles or bits off valves:
    https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2016/01/8-4-2015_01a.png

Here's a FT chart which shows a pretty simple principle that you use as little colour and ornamentation as possible for information - though let's be honest, the election programmes are about entertainment:
    http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/files/2016/04/Consumer_confidence_index-bar_chart-ft-web-themelarge-600x396.png
  • Options
    @STJamesl: Another prediction - labour will lose overall control in Wales and Welsh labour will pour a big bucket of merde over Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    The big problem with corbyn being useless is if Tories do fine & labour rubbish it might encourage Osborne to get his chopper out again with local council funding.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

W Ass??????
    Cynulliad Cendlaethol would've made sense
    Not really, I don't understand what Klingon has to do with anything.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Wanderer said:

(That's to say, I think there are two truly great world centres of food. One is in Europe, the other South-east Asia. There's lots of brilliant food from elsewhere but those are the places, above all, where humans have really understood how to cook. For my money the pinnacle in Europe is Italy.)

With my heritage, I can't leave that unchallenged!

Middle eastern, and especially Persian, cuisine is superb. Buy this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legendary-Cuisine-Persia-Margaret-Shaida/dp/1902304608

As regards France vs Italy, the problem with Italian cuisine is that the meals as a whole are badly conceived. Superb dishes, yes, let down by a lack of coherent structure of the meal as a whole (whoever thought bunging pasta in between the hors d'oeuvre and the meat or fish course was a good idea?)
  • Options
    @EdConwaySky: Strange times. UKIP’s biggest breakthrough tonight could happen in Wales. The Tories’ biggest breakthrough could happen in Scotland
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

W Ass??????
    Cynulliad Cendlaethol would've made sense
    That could be the national assembly of any country though ;)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Labour losing control of Wales isn't the most outlandish event.
  • Options
    Artist said:

That corbyn bloke clearly popular in Wales...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    edited May 2016
    Roger said:

tyson said:

I doubt you have seen much of Spain to say that, Roger. As for France, I'd say the further west you go in France the better it gets, though the Jura is a special place. If you don't eat and drink well in Gascony or Brittany, say, you are doing something very wrong.

• Options
    Great photo Mike.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Does "losing control" mean losing majority, or losing biggest party status.
This discussion has been closed.