Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How Britain voted – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

What's going on with all these mini-riots?

A mix of inchoate anger among ordinary folk, and a few bad actors trying to stir up something ugly, perhaps ?
    Disappointing because you would have thought the election just a few weeks ago would have given people an opportunity to express their opinions.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Harris (D): 48%
    Trump (R): 41%
    Kennedy (I): 5%

Leger / July 29, 2024 / n=786

Boom.

That's going to help calm Trump's temper tantrums.

50 something 30 something would be joyous.

Is there a mechanism for Republican men in grey suits to step in at this stage, or are they stuck with the Orange One?
    Republican men are more likely to be in white strait jackets than grey suits these days
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited July 31
    Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Though McLaughlin, taken the same day

🔴 Trump 47% (+2)
    🔵 Harris 45%

McLaughlin - 1000 LV - 7/29
    https://x.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1818727987086315584
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

How long before BF is showing cross-over?
    Never mind that, how long before the RCP polling average shows crossover?

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/trump-vs-harris
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,199

MaxPB said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Riot police in attendance at a hotel housing illegal migrants in Manchester after "demonstations" by Football Fan types broke out.

It comes back to your point yesterday about the UK becoming increasingly sectarian. For the benefit of the doubt, as some were throwing around accusations of racism after the last thread, I a) don't think this is a good thing and b) don't support the "football fan types" who are going round causing bother, either.
    It's not though. Only in the hyper-real world of social media, where everything constantly gets amplified, commonly by accounts based a couple of thousand miles East of here.
    PB is resolutely middle class and misses out on a lot of what the hoi polloi are saying. My ex, god love her, was resolutely working class and I follow many of her friends on socials. It is a window into a different world. People are *hopping mad* about this at the minute. I've never seen 'that type' of voter so angry.
    PB is way more exercised by this than anywhere else I've come across.

Yes people always get angry with mass murderers. You see them shouting at them on the steps of court, and calling for the death penalty. They are a small group but noisy. However, they don't usually make the leap between that and condemning entire groups in society.

That's new. Why? Because they are being manipulated, by dangerous forces, largely on social media and deliberately amplified by Russian troll accounts. But not just Russians, MAGA Americans too, who have been infected by the cult and have access to Anglo Saxon news. Nobody should be indulging this kind of hideous grief exploitation.
    What? No one in your real world is exercised by the murder of a few kids? It's pretty much the subject the real world is most upset about, in my real world.
    Here and twitter are the only place that I have heard it discussed.

I'm astonished.
    Though I am a parent of children of that age so maybe it resonates more with that demographic.
    I'd have thought anyone with a family would be rather affected though.
    Yes, our nursery WhatsApp chat is still pretty angry. I think when the death of the third girl was announced it was the first time I've seen so many mild mannered middle class people go ape shit and talk about bringing back hanging etc...
    But are they talking about Islam and sharia law, or race war? I assume not. They didn't after the moors murderers or the Wests. That's where this place seems to be non-sequiting.
    No of course not, but PB has always been a pretty good place to kick around ideas that may not necessarily get a hearing anywhere else. The dissection of the race issue on here is probably a more eloquent reflection of what's actually happening in private EDL chats and I don't see anyone actually supporting that point of view either. I brought it up yesterday because I think the poor government communication on this is leading to race riots and as someone who isn't white I'm not overly enamoured with the prospect, I guess I could get my wife to go out and do all the errands but she's Jewish so the other idiots on the streets might not like her very much either.
    The same brain dead comms game will produce the same result every time - an open gate for the conspiracy theorists and the violent scum following in their wake.
    That is a bit “she was wearing a short skirt”. Bad actors spread lies and useful idiots keep insisting that the best response to events is to “kick around ideas” about how awful Muslims supposedly are.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Trump says that the VP pick doesn’t matter electorally.

https://x.com/armanddoma/status/1818738080976978240

the funniest thing about this is that this is the single most substantive answer I have ever seen Trump give on any political matter. he correctly references that the literature suggests VP picks don’t tend to matter electorally, even notes LBJ being a bit of an aberration…
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Roger said:

OT.....Of nothing in particular: isn't La Marseilaise a wonderful National Anthem? It always reminds me of Casablanca.

Best one, I'd say.
    The German for me.
    Soyuz nerushimyy respublik svobodnykh...

Or

Mae'n hen wlad fy'nhadau un annwyl I mi...

The tie will only be broken when Wales gets it's own ballistic missile submarine 😃
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

MaxPB said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Riot police in attendance at a hotel housing illegal migrants in Manchester after "demonstations" by Football Fan types broke out.

It comes back to your point yesterday about the UK becoming increasingly sectarian. For the benefit of the doubt, as some were throwing around accusations of racism after the last thread, I a) don't think this is a good thing and b) don't support the "football fan types" who are going round causing bother, either.
    It's not though. Only in the hyper-real world of social media, where everything constantly gets amplified, commonly by accounts based a couple of thousand miles East of here.
    PB is resolutely middle class and misses out on a lot of what the hoi polloi are saying. My ex, god love her, was resolutely working class and I follow many of her friends on socials. It is a window into a different world. People are *hopping mad* about this at the minute. I've never seen 'that type' of voter so angry.

Yes people always get angry with mass murderers. You see them shouting at them on the steps of court, and calling for the death penalty. They are a small group but noisy. However, they don't usually make the leap between that and condemning entire groups in society.

That's new. Why? Because they are being manipulated, by dangerous forces, largely on social media and deliberately amplified by Russian troll accounts. But not just Russians, MAGA Americans too, who have been infected by the cult and have access to Anglo Saxon news. Nobody should be indulging this kind of hideous grief exploitation.
    What? No one in your real world is exercised by the murder of a few kids? It's pretty much the subject the real world is most upset about, in my real world.

I'm astonished.
    Though I am a parent of children of that age so maybe it resonates more with that demographic.
    Yes, our nursery WhatsApp chat is still pretty angry. I think when the death of the third girl was announced it was the first time I've seen so many mild mannered middle class people go ape shit and talk about bringing back hanging etc...
    But are they talking about Islam and sharia law, or race war? I assume not. They didn't after the moors murderers or the Wests. That's where this place seems to be non-sequiting.
    No of course not, but PB has always been a pretty good place to kick around ideas that may not necessarily get a hearing anywhere else. The dissection of the race issue on here is probably a more eloquent reflection of what's actually happening in private EDL chats and I don't see anyone actually supporting that point of view either. I brought it up yesterday because I think the poor government communication on this is leading to race riots and as someone who isn't white I'm not overly enamoured with the prospect, I guess I could get my wife to go out and do all the errands but she's Jewish so the other idiots on the streets might not like her very much either.
    The same brain dead comms game will produce the same result every time - an open gate for the conspiracy theorists and the violent scum following in their wake.
    That is a bit “she was wearing a short skirt”. Bad actors spread lies and useful idiots keep insisting that the best response to events is to “kick around ideas” about how awful Muslims supposedly are.
    No - the best way to stop the rumours that kick off the violence is to get truth and detail out there *first*. Read up on the history of pogroms and lynchings - kill the rumours, kill the violence.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    edited July 31
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

This is the only place I am seeing this being turned into a race war.

People always get understandably upset by mass murder and want vengeance against the murderer. It happened with countless serial killers through history. They don't usually turn it into a ethno-political issue though. The only reason they are doing so, is because the murderer was black. And because dark forces on social media are manipulating and amplifying the divisive narrative.
    If the perpetrator was white, we’d be hearing a lot more anger from the Left. There is an epidemic of violence against women and girls. This was reported by the Met Commissioner very recently. But many on the left are only interested in “toxic masculinity” when it’s from white men.

When the Plymouth shootings happened three years ago, there were people on here who were very quick to call it out as terrorism. Why? Because he was white and calling out terrorism by white men is strangely much easier for some on here.

The riots we’re seeing are a disgrace and the police should come down on them like a tonne of bricks.

I couldn’t care less what sick ideology drove this - I actually think they’re all very much alike - but what I want is honesty from the police. This isn’t Nottingham. This was clearly a targeted attack on women and girls. This needs to be acknowledged.
    So Labour are going to give 90,000 boat migrants asylum now?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Hmmm…. Harris is squeezing Kennedy?
    Kennedy drew much of his support from double-haters. Now Biden is no longer there to hate, he has to hope those people transfer their hate to Harris. Some indeed might - but in far smaller numbers. Which is very bad news for both Kennedy - and Trump. That section of voters are now single-haters: Trump.
  • vinovino Posts: 166
    kinabalu said:

vino said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

People always get understandably upset by mass murder and want vengeance against the murderer. It happened with countless serial killers through history. They don't usually turn it into a ethno-political issue though. The only reason they are doing so, is because the murderer was black. And because dark forces on social media are manipulating and amplifying the divisive narrative.
    They are upset because it's to do with immigration - nobody appears to be listening - remember Brexit
    Oh god, you mean if we don't pander to racist drivel they'll go and vote for something really stupid again?
    No I don't think that at all - depends if you think Brexit was stupid - before Reform all the main parties were in favour of immigration now there is a party who aren't.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,761

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Boom.

Is there a mechanism for Republican men in grey suits to step in at this stage, or are they stuck with the Orange One?
    He’s their nominee.
    They’re stuck,

I theory, Vance might be pressured to step down - though it’s unlikely he’d give in - but no one can now do the same to Trump.

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Kennedy drew much of his support from double-haters. Now Biden is no longer there to hate, he has to hope those people transfer their hate to Harris. Some indeed might - but in far smaller numbers. Which is very bad news for both Kennedy - and Trump. That section of voters are now single-haters: Trump.
    Plus, one of his pitches was that it was a stitched up race between two gerontocrats.

Now it isn’t…

MaxPB said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm astonished.
    No - the best way to stop the rumours that kick off the violence is to get truth and detail out there *first*. Read up on the history of pogroms and lynchings - kill the rumours, kill the violence.
    I agree with stopping the rumours. That’s done by making social media companies act more responsibly.

The police announced very quickly that they did not believe there was any terrorism link. That didn’t stop the conspiracy theorists and the Islamophobes. They just ignored that. The police said the name going around was wrong. The racists and the Twitter-obsessed ignored that too. The law requires the police to be circumspect about the details of an under-18 suspect.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited July 31
    tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

If the perpetrator was white, we’d be hearing a lot more anger from the Left. There is an epidemic of violence against women and girls. This was reported by the Met Commissioner very recently. But many on the left are only interested in “toxic masculinity” when it’s from white men.

When the Plymouth shootings happened three years ago, there were people on here who were very quick to call it out as terrorism. Why? Because he was white and calling out terrorism by white men is strangely much easier for some on here.

The riots we’re seeing are a disgrace and the police should come down on them like a tonne of bricks.

I couldn’t care less what sick ideology drove this - I actually think they’re all very much alike - but what I want is honesty from the police. This isn’t Nottingham. This was clearly a targeted attack on women and girls. This needs to be acknowledged.
    1. The far right have sucked any oxygen out of this and made the whole thing about them
    2. The debates over toxic masculinity, rightly or wrongly, happen when adult women are targeted. Including when the perpetrators are non-white. Mass killings of children trigger different reactions. Typically of horror and incomprehension.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,508
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

A mix of inchoate anger among ordinary folk, and a few bad actors trying to stir up something ugly, perhaps ?
    Disappointing because you would have thought the election just a few weeks ago would have given people an opportunity to express their opinions.
    They did. And got a paltry seat return for the big percent support, while the pro immigration party swept to a historic majority with fewer votes than it got than even under Corbyn.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

PredictIt did just crossover.

https://x.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1818748646252585403?t=vgZuwlM7JNIwALAFt2-TYQ&s=19
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Harris poll is worst for Harris!
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    edited July 31
    MJW said:

Trump appears to have said that it doesn't matter that Vance was a shit choice for veep because the no 2 slot doesn't matter.

Why is Vance's reputation suddenly in free fall? A few weeks ago he was Golden Boy.
    Because people outside the bubble of very rich online right-wing Silicon Valley oddballs who love him have got a look at Vance 2.0 - the version that seems like he came out of the kind of horrendous message board Dominic Cummings would love. As opposed to the Vance of Hillbilly Elegy who was pitching himself as prole whispering working class boy dun good.
    The Vance of "Hillbilly Elegy" was definitely pitching himself . . . like a con artist reeling in a bunch of marks for a first-class fleecing.

The marks in case of "HE" (my personal nod to the colossal egoism of Vance's opus) being (dare I say) Woke intelligencia and the like, who saw him as the Hillbilly-Redneck-Rural Whisperer to explain why folks in Fly-Over Country were/are the way they were/are. All part of the Con.

Which yours truly, as one who was raised smack dab in West By God Virginia, in the midst of hordes of hillbillies. Vance's autobiography is (mostly) of value, but his "analysis" hardly merits that description; it's a feeble and febrile as his (alleged) theology and ideology. Again, part of the Con though do get impression that, like a superior con-artist, Vance strives to actually believe his bullshit.

Anyway, 'tis a truly strange Hillbilly in my experience, who runs down his own kinfolk in order to get ahead. Something and someone you'd expect to see on the old "Jerry Spinger" show NOT on a major-party presidential-VP ticket.
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

It's because theŕe is so much mystery about the motive. It's just such a weirdly purposeless crime
    Could be incel - but incels usually target older girls. Could be random madman - but seemed to be carefully planned, which random madmen tend to be bad at. Could be Islam - but Rwanda is pretty light on Muslims. So of course there is speculation.
    As others have pointed out, the identity of the individual is protected as he's under 18. So we'll just have to wait.
    The weird language and choices of emphasis of those in charge aren't really helping though. It's not being very well poloticked.
    I get that. I really do.
    BUT. This happened Monday. Most of the Police spent Tuesday having bricks house at them. It's now Wednesday. The total collapse of CAHMS, Children's Services and other agencies over the past few years mean that the detailed records which used
    to be accessible no longer exist. He may not have been on anyone's radar, since the
    thresholds for intervention has been raised skyhigh.
    It's possible the answer is they actually don't
    know what the motivation was yet. Or are merely scratching the surface.
    Even more so if the assailant is uncooperative.
    That’s all fine. In which case, the police should not be ruling anything out. By all means reassure the public and say they don’t think there’s any one else who might do more harm, but don’t say you’re not treating it as terrorism. Right now, it looks exactly like terrorism.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

MaxPB said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm astonished.
    I agree with stopping the rumours. That’s done by making social media companies act more responsibly.

The police announced very quickly that they did not believe there was any terrorism link. That didn’t stop the conspiracy theorists and the Islamophobes. They just ignored that. The police said the name going around was wrong. The racists and the Twitter-obsessed ignored that too. The law requires the police to be circumspect about the details of an under-18 suspect.
    As I said yesterday, one way or another governments around the world are going to tightly control social media within the next 20 years.
    HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Though McLaughlin, taken the same day

🔴 Trump 47% (+2)
    🔵 Harris 45%

McLaughlin - 1000 LV - 7/29
    https://x.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1818727987086315584
    F rated

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Harris poll is worst for Harris!
    Have we heard from Trafalgar? OR has that "pollster" guy lost HIS other eye?

Trump says that the VP pick doesn’t matter electorally.

https://x.com/armanddoma/status/1818738080976978240

the funniest thing about this is that this is the single most substantive answer I have ever seen Trump give on any political matter. he correctly references that the literature suggests VP picks don’t tend to matter electorally, even notes LBJ being a bit of an aberration…

Well, on the one had he was going to lose anyway.
    But on the other, his VP pick has pretty clearly demonstrated his incompetence in selecting for executive positions. And it has cut through, more than any VP pick I can remember.
    TimS said:

tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

1. The far right have sucked any oxygen out
    of this and made the whole thing about them

3. The debates over toxic masculinity, rightly
    or wrongly, happen when adult women are targeted. Including when the perpetrators are non-white. Mass killings of children trigger different reactions. Typically of horror and incomprehension.
    Adult women were attacked too.
    tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I pointed out earlier that the attack was an extreme example of toxic masculinity, and the various riots a further example of toxic masculinity.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm astonished.
    This case is extremely distressing. Others have been too in recent times. There's been at least three torture murders of small children that I can recall (and wish I couldn't) in just the last couple of years. To use these things as grist to a mill, to be above all excited by their potential for promoting an agenda, is something I find hard to relate to.
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm astonished.
    Well no, the middle classes won't, in polite company. They have to know you pretty well before they'ĺl admit to unfashionable views that working class people might have.
    It's interesting (in a general sense - been to neither this week) the contrasting views I hear expressed by other parents on my daughter's sports teams. You hear views expressed by the football parents that you wouldn't at the çricket club.
    Our fellow school parents are from most walks of life but most are working class and a number on the poverty line. I don’t hear contrasting views, just similar views expressed differently. They are not WWC - they are a mix of all colours and religions - and maybe that makes a difference.

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

It's because theŕe is so much mystery about the motive. It's just such a weirdly purposeless crime
    Could be incel - but incels usually target older girls. Could be random madman - but seemed to be carefully planned, which random madmen tend to be bad at. Could be Islam - but Rwanda is pretty light on Muslims. So of course there is speculation.
    As others have pointed out, the identity of the individual is protected as he's under 18. So we'll just have to wait.
    The weird language and choices of emphasis of those in charge aren't really helping though. It's not being very well poloticked.
    I get that. I really do.
    BUT. This happened Monday. Most of the Police spent Tuesday having bricks house at them. It's now Wednesday. The total collapse of CAHMS, Children's Services and other agencies over the past few years mean that the detailed records which used
    to be accessible no longer exist. He may not have been on anyone's radar, since the
    That’s all fine. In which case, the police should not be ruling anything out. By all means reassure the public and say they don’t think there’s any one else who might do more harm, but don’t say you’re not treating it as terrorism. Right now, it looks exactly like terrorism.
    No, it doesn’t. Terrorism has a definition within UK law that the police are clearly more familiar with than you are.

kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Kamala Harris seems perfectly nice, very smiley. I can't help but question though why given the opportunity of being VP to a waning President, she has failed to distinguish herself to the point of Biden being the preferred candidate until his deficiencies were so glaring they could no longer be denied.

She’s a totally empty suit, something which will soon become apparent once the sycophancy dies down a little.
    How do you square the circle of your flag waving for Trump and his flag waving for Putin?
    I don't recall Sandpit flag waving for Trump?
    It's possible to be dubious about the merits of a candidate without supporting that candidates opponent. Especially in an election in which you don't have a vote.
    Are there any out and out Trump supporters on PB? I know @HYUFD is at least somewhat supportive, but even the much missed Plato wasn't entirely in his camp.
    Hmmm. My reading of posts is that @HYUFD is not the slightest in his camp. I believe he has said he would vote democrat if in America. I'm sure he will put me right if I have that wrong. Plato on the other hand was hook, line and sinker a Trump fan.
    HYUFD said when Biden pulled out that he'd vote Trump over the "woke" Kamala.

Not sure if he stands by that still.
    I did, though the last Republican I would have voted for was George W Bush in 2000 otherwise.

I would have voted for Haley in the GOP primary over Trump though
    "Katharine Birbalsingh
    @Miss_Snuffy

With all that’s been happening, London, Southend, Southport…

I have been saying for many months multiculturalism needs managing.

People continue to deny this.

Can’t you see how you are playing into the hands of the Far Right?

My goodness. We need to wake up!
    8:08 PM · Jul 31, 2024"

https://x.com/Miss_Snuffy/status/1818725323619582410
    Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Boom.

He’s their nominee.
    They’re stuck,

I theory, Vance might be pressured to step down - though it’s unlikely he’d give in - but no one can now do the same to Trump.
    You are correct re: Trump nomination. However, re: Vance nomination IF Trump publicly said JDV should step down, he'd be gone, as Republican National Committee would rewrite party rules to recend VP nomination and name replacement = anyone Trump wanted instead.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Graun feed:

'Republic, the group campaigning against having a hereditary monarch as head of state, has released polling showing that “56% of the public believe MPs should swear allegiance to their constituents and the country, compared to just 11% who want MPs to pledge allegiance to the king”.'

So, the King is head of state, we have no written constitution, our constitution is based on the sovereignty of Crown in Parliament and the public give their verdict on MPs at election time they don't need an Oath to them from their MP as well!
    Completely missing the point.

It might also be remarked that the King has proven rather keen on changing and affecting the law of the land directly in ways that, erm, affect his personal interests. That is, not through his MP. Not so much of that lately, but you might like to consider how that sits alongside your excited reflex reflux.
    The King has never refused to sign a law passed by Parliament
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    edited July 31
    Weirdly in Harris the Democrats might just have come up with the perfect opponent for Trump, by pure accident. She appears to be taking the road of simply being no-nonsense and calling him out, while sounding authentic.
    So far, she avoids coming across as being aloof like Hillary, who did try that tactic a few times but couldn’t land it.

And Trump just doesn’t know how to respond to it. You can see he doesn’t. He’s just rattling off his usual shtick but it’s meandering and unfocused. He just assumes he can throw mud at Radical Left Kamala Harris and it’ll throw her and she’ll self-destruct. It looks like the complete opposite is happening.

Still a long way to go, but it is starting -starting- to feel like the wheels might be falling off the Trump campaign.

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Plus, one of his pitches was that it was a stitched up race between two gerontocrats.

Now it isn’t…
    You still think I'm hopecasting with my 60/40 Harris assessment? 🙂
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Edited highlights of the total meltdown car crash event by Trump:

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar
    I put together an 11-minute supercut of Trump angrily self-immolating at the NABJ before his handlers pulled him from the stage.
    https://x.com/atrupar/status/1818737608765456659
    Andy_JS said:

"Katharine Birbalsingh
    @Miss_Snuffy

“This latest news story gives me a chance to ride my usual hobbyhorse in a callously exploitative way, again”.

Twitter really is a cesspit. And that predates Musk. (It’s also annoyingly compelling).
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Also I still don’t know where this Kamala Harris has been hiding for the past 4 years. She’s so much more at ease with herself and her speaking style. I don’t know if it’s the confidence boost of being at the top of the ticket, but it is a marked difference.
    TimS said:

tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

1. The far right have sucked any oxygen out of this and made the whole thing about them
    2. The debates over toxic masculinity, rightly or wrongly, happen when adult women are targeted. Including when the perpetrators are non-white. Mass killings of children trigger different reactions. Typically of horror and incomprehension.
    Well it was pretty clear in the case of (for instance) the recent crossbow murders that toxic masculinity was involved. But I genuinely don’t know which of a number of possibilities lies behind this horror.

And to go out trying to trash the local mosque, hospitalising several police in the process, which seems to have happened last night, is a very long way indeed from a justifiable reaction.
    edited July 31

Weirdly in Harris the Democrats might just have come up with the perfect opponent for Trump, by pure accident. She appears to be taking the road of simply being no-nonsense and calling him out, while sounding authentic.
    So far, she avoids coming across as being aloof like Hillary, who did try that tactic a few times but couldn’t land it.

And Trump just doesn’t know how to respond to it. You can see he doesn’t. He’s just rattling off his usual shtick but it’s meandering and unfocused. He just assumes he can throw mud at Radical Left Kamala Harris and it’ll throw her and she’ll self-destruct. It looks like the complete opposite is happening.

Still a long way to go, but it is starting -starting- to feel like the wheels might be falling off the Trump campaign.

I wonder if Biden feels happy or a touch jealous about all this.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

https://x.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1818748646252585403?t=vgZuwlM7JNIwALAFt2-TYQ&s=19
    Polymarket still has Trump on 56%, Harris on 41%, and the Michelle Obama punters aren't giving up.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,508
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I get that. I really do.
    All the research shows that if details of high profile suicides are printed in the press, there is a spike in suicide rates shortly thereafter. I suspect a similar effect takes places with US school shootings. To give the authorities the benefit of the doubt here, perhaps they wish for the details to be suppressed until things cool over, to dampen the likelihood of copycats.

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    TimS said:

I would guess happy because aside from anything else, a Trump presidency would pose a serious risk to his personal safety.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

You surely mean that the wheels have been cheated from the Trump campaign? He's spent lots of money on this, and if he doesn't get a payback that means he's been cheated.

Right?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    edited July 31
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I get that. I really do.
    This comes down to the definition of terrorism again, doesn't it?
    We had a bit of a spat about it yesterday. It's to do with "political motive".
    I got to thinking, and came a bit round to your thinking.
    Was Peter Sutcliffe a terrorist? He certainly terrorised the women of the North of England far more than the IRA. Yet he had no political motive. Other than misogyny. But. Isn't that, in itself, political?
    Am coming round to @williamglenn's view that we are stuck in a 9/11 view.
    However. Isn't hoying bricks at and trying to set light to a Mosque with people inside therefore equally terrorism?

Andy_JS said:

The weather.
    Maybe the police need to walk around with hosepipes filled with ice cold water whenever there's trouble at this time of year.
    TimS said:

A bit of both ?

TimS said:

I would guess happy because aside from anything else, a Trump presidency would pose a serious risk to his personal safety.
    I would guess happy because he was playing with ducky in the bath.

I also wish I didn't because it makes me sad.
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

They did. And got a paltry seat return for the big percent support, while the pro immigration party swept to a historic majority with fewer votes than it got than even under Corbyn.
    As we know, the party who got the most votes won the election and they were 10% clear of any other party.
    vino said:

kinabalu said:

vino said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

They are upset because it's to do with immigration - nobody appears to be listening - remember Brexit
    Oh god, you mean if we don't pander to racist drivel they'll go and vote for something really stupid again?
    No I don't think that at all - depends if you think Brexit was stupid - before Reform all the main parties were in favour of immigration now there is a party who aren't.
    Yep. Anyone who wants Fortress Britain should vote for them. And if they win a GE we can have it. That's fair enough. But in the meantime ...
    edited July 31
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The weather.
    Maybe the police need to walk around with hosepipes filled with ice cold water whenever there's trouble at this time of year.
    Didnt Boris buy some used water cannons?

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar
    I put together an 11-minute supercut of Trump angrily self-immolating at the NABJ before his handlers pulled him from the stage.

Love that intro where he gets confronted with his own words.
    Why did his team not expect exactly that ?

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Polymarket still has Trump on 56%, Harris on 41%, and the Michelle Obama punters aren't giving up.
    How many of the Michelle Obama punters also want her to select John F. Kennedy, Jr. as her running mate?

As opposed to, say, Elvis Presley?
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Graun feed:

'Republic, the group campaigning against having a hereditary monarch as head of state, has released polling showing that “56% of the public believe MPs should swear allegiance to their constituents and the country, compared to just 11% who want MPs to pledge allegiance to the king”.'

So, the King is head of state, we have no written constitution, our constitution is based on the sovereignty of Crown in Parliament and the public give their verdict on MPs at election time they don't need an Oath to them from their MP as well!
    Completely missing the point.

It might also be remarked that the King has proven rather keen on changing and affecting the law of the land directly in ways that, erm, affect his personal interests. That is, not through his MP. Not so much of that lately, but you might like to consider how that sits alongside your excited reflex reflux.
    The King has never refused to sign a law passed by Parliament
    Queen Anne - 1707 was the last to refuse.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Nigelb said:

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar

He's surrounded by sycophants most of the time, so is shocked and angry when someone isn't sycophantic.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Andy_JS said:

"Katharine Birbalsingh
    @Miss_Snuffy

Her zero tolerance for poor behaviour. No questions, no excuses, no explanation solitary isolation room for you, seems to dissolve somehow at the school gates.
    How curious!
    TimS said:

Probably both. However if he pulls this off and she wins, he'll be a multi-year Senator and a President who resigned at the right time and chose his successor. That's a hell of a trick to pull off.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    I expect one day soon the Nimby campaign against new housing will be that it is not necessary, the population is declining anyway.

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The weather.
    Iirc Mock The Week correctly, weren't they stored in Northern Ireland because obvious?
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159

Also I still don’t know where this Kamala Harris has been hiding for the past 4 years. She’s so much more at ease with herself and her speaking style. I don’t know if it’s the confidence boost of being at the top of the ticket, but it is a marked difference.

Maybe she has spent her 4 years as VP learning how to be Prez

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The weather.
    Yes, although I wasn't quite thinking on that scale.

Nigelb said:

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar

He's surrounded by sycophants most of the time, so is shocked and angry when someone isn't sycophantic.
    Very nasty. Hostile. Disrespectful.
    Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

As we know, the party who got the most votes won the election and they were 10% clear of any other party.
    I think it fair to include LD , Green and SNP as pro immigration too, with the Conservatives divided on the issue, so Reform voters were significantly outvoted by about 4 to 1. That's democracy.
    Trump doubles down on his car crash outing earlier.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
    1h
    Crazy Kamala is saying she’s Indian, not Black. This is a big deal. Stone cold phony. She uses everybody, including her racial identity!

==

In the clip he posts she literally says 'you look like ONE HALF of my family".
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar

Uppity?

Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Boom.

He’s their nominee.
    They’re stuck,

You are correct re: Trump nomination. However, re: Vance nomination IF Trump publicly said JDV should step down, he'd be gone, as Republican National Committee would rewrite party rules to recend VP nomination and name replacement = anyone Trump wanted instead.
    For some reason my first thought was a toss-up between Eddie Murphy or Donna Summer. I could imagine Trump 'boogieing' onto stage with either, to grimaces all round. Now I'm also reminded of Airplane..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WXVaChA3Q0
    edited July 31

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
    1h
    Crazy Kamala is saying she’s Indian, not Black. This is a big deal. Stone cold phony. She uses everybody, including her racial identity!

==

Has Donald Trump never heard of mixed-race people? About 10% of the US population, or 34 million people, identified as being in that category at the last census.
    edited July 31

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
    1h

==

Ah it's 'Crazy' Kamala now. That's about the 10th one he's tried. This stuff just can't (and won't) prevail.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Katharine Birbalsingh
    @Miss_Snuffy

Her zero tolerance for poor behaviour. No questions, no excuses, no explanation solitary isolation room for you, seems to dissolve somehow at the school gates.
    How curious!
    Noticeable in the educational bubble that KB's allies (she has some) or "say what you like about her, but her school works" semi-supporters have been distancing themselves from her latest remarks.

We can all think of people who have fallen down a fairly nasty right-wing rabbit hole, and there are some other commentators getting very close to its edge.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar

Uppity?
    “There are a lot of black journalists here.”
    kinabalu said:

vino said:

kinabalu said:

vino said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Yep. Anyone who wants Fortress Britain should vote for them. And if they win a GE we can have it. That's fair enough. But in the meantime ...
    Agree - trust the voters - as I said I've got my car sticker
    "Don't Blame Me - I Voted Reform"
    kinabalu said:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
    1h

==

Ah it's 'Crazy' Kamala now. That's about the 10th one he's tried. This stuff just can't (and won't) prevail.
    Surprised Trump ain't spelling it "Krazy Kamala" as in, say, "Krazy Kat".

This is Fox News!!

Acyn
    @Acyn
    ·
    1h
    Jessica: My reaction is it was an complete absolute dumpster fire for the former president, I don't feel the need to give him any credit for showing up there because he came with a terrible attitude

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1818734986817839363

Looked her up and apparently she's a Democrat strategist, and the token liberal on the show, so I wouldn't be too shocked that "this is Fox news" as she's there to provide that slant.

She's right, but she'd be saying similar anyway. Its not like Fox conservative pundits are saying it.

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

We don't need Michelle now. She can relax.
    Andy_JS said:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
    1h

==

Has Donald Trump never heard of mixed-race people? About 10% of the US population, or 34 million people, identified as being in that category at the last census.
    It does not compute for racists who believe in racial purity.
    Good Twitter exchange about one of the rioters: https://x.com/_jasminehahn/status/1818593389907997019
    Trump has obviously lost the plot with his race comments about Harris. Surely he loses the election now.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I get that. I really do.
    This comes down to the definition of terrorism again, doesn't it?
    We had a bit of a spat about it yesterday. It's to do with "political motive".
    I got to thinking, and came a bit round to your thinking.
    Was Peter Sutcliffe a terrorist? He certainly terrorised the women of the North of England far more than the IRA. Yet he had no political motive. Other than misogyny. But. Isn't that, in itself, political?
    Am coming round to @williamglenn's view that we are stuck in a 9/11 view.
    However. Isn't hoying bricks at and trying to set light to a Mosque with people inside therefore equally terrorism?
    You make a good point about Peter Sutcliffe. I was in Leeds at the time, and he certainly 'terrorised' the women of Leeds and Bradford for quite a long time. And yet he was never, ever, referred to as a terrorist. Because he was a misogynist killer, I guess, not a seeker of political change.
    Andy_JS said:

Trump has obviously lost the plot with his race comments about Harris. Surely he loses the election now.

Hopefully, but he’s done worse (e.g., trying to overthrow the election result, sexually assaulting multiple women, being convicted of fraud) without voters deserting him.
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it fair to include LD , Green and SNP as pro immigration too, with the Conservatives divided on the issue, so Reform voters were significantly outvoted by about 4 to 1. That's democracy.
    Agree entirely - that's democracy - I will be following the local by-elections in the autumn with some interest.
    Andy_JS said:

It will be forgotten in a weeks time

kinabalu said:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
    1h

==

Surprised Trump ain't spelling it "Krazy Kamala" as in, say, "Krazy Kat".
    There you go - the man just isn't the awesome smear machine of old.

Andy_JS said:

Hopefully, but he’s done worse (e.g., trying to overthrow the election result, sexually assaulting multiple women, being convicted of fraud) without voters deserting him.
    The thing is he's lost his aura of strength.

In past campaigns he could try to manipulate the agenda to fit what he seemed strong in.

But now? He now looks like what he is - a flailing, bitter, angry, impotent old man.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, particularly his comment that "she happened to turn Black".
    Astonishingly offensive.

Andy_JS said:

In past campaigns he could try to manipulate the agenda to fit what he seemed strong in.

But now? He now looks like what he is - a flailing, bitter, angry, impotent old man.
    Maybe. I hope so. I expect his fall will come fast when it comes, but that’s probably just wishful thinking.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

https://x.com/politics_polls/status/1818755066909835340

2024 National GE:

Harris 49% (+4)
    Trump 45%

.@Civiqs/@dailykos, 1,123 RV, 7/27-30

Good for you posting a Trump-negative poll.
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Except Labour weren't the pro immigration party, Starmer backed not restoring EEA free movement and promised to negotiate returns agreements for those here illegally.

They may not have been as hardline as Reform were but Labour were certainly less pro immigration than the LDs, Greens and SNP were and that was partly why they won the redwall back from the Tories

Andy_JS said:

Maybe. I hope so. I expect his fall will come fast when it comes, but that’s probably just wishful thinking.
    I think it has come, and it has come fast.

78 year old Donald Trump spending months making the election a referendum on whether Joe Biden was too old to be in office has to be the biggest self-inflicted blunder since Operation Barbarossa.

He's been completely outplayed now by Biden stepping down and is left just lost, bewildered, angry, old and sad with no idea what to do now.

Obviously a narcissist like Trump never considered that his opponent might step down for the greater good of his party and country. Trump would never do something like that.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648

MaxPB said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm astonished.
    Everyone in Southport knows who it is now. It is the low information Tommy Robinson/Laurence Fox numbnuts who believe all the Russian bots on Twitter who are kicking off.
    The overweight guy bottom right looks good to me.

Kamala Harris is about to make the most important choice of her campaign: Who should be her running mate? Nation writers make their cases for the strongest vice-presidential candidate.
    https://x.com/thenation/status/1818628936076583173
    edited July 31

Andy_JS said:

Yes, particularly his comment that "she happened to turn Black".
    Astonishingly offensive.
    It is offensive but Trump wants to depress black turnout and saying Harris is half Indian as much as black is his attempt to do that while proclaiming he did more than any other president for African Americans
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    Nigelb said:

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar

I just watched this whole video. I know that everyone is astonished by how rude and offensive he is, but to me Trump comes across as very coherant even in a video edited to provide evidence of a 'car crash'. The strategy is obviously going to be to bang on about left wing riots, illegal immigration, crime, and portray Harris as being part of all that.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,310
    POTUS.

Harris is now best priced 11/8 on the fixed odds markets. I said last night that 6/4 available is value in a 50-50 race so clearly others in the market think the same. 11/8 at this point is still value, however:

1. Current enthusiasm, which fair to say the Democrats have done a great job in pushing air into, has still to soldify into a sense that they will actually turn out so motivation has to be sustained> Some of that enthusiasm is in groups that dont necessarily turn out to the highest levels.

2. Something has to give on the economy even in perception terms to help secure Harris' position..like a Fed rate cut..

3. Choice of VP will matter so that just doesnt need to be ballsed up

4. Differential turnout is what wins this for Trump. Lets say you'd had 100% turnout I'd be certain he'd lose by a good margin, but clearly we don't. If they keep point 1 sustained then Trumps hard ceiling of support will simply not be enough.

Couple of things regarding our mates in Israel & Iran to post about but that can wait til later, ive just come in from a night run and I'm stinking the house out.
    Nunu5 said:

Andy_JS said:

It will be forgotten in a weeks time
    It won’t.
    There are enough clips there for a dozen campaign ads. Expect it.
    kinabalu said:

Nunu5 said:

Polling USA
    @USA_Polling
    Presidential Polling:

Now it isn’t…
    You still think I'm hopecasting with my 60/40 Harris assessment? 🙂
    Yes - the race is 50/50 in EC numbers.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 570

Andy_JS said:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
    1h

==

It does not compute for racists who believe in racial purity.
    Trump thinks like a property developer not a politician. He sees people as interest groups he can give a bung to in return for support. "I'll do x for the Hispanics and Y for the blacks". It's like buying off stakeholders during a big property deal. When someone doesn't fit neatly into a group it unsettles him because they're harder to buy.
    darkage said:

Nigelb said:

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar

I just watched this whole video. I know that everyone is astonished by how rude and offensive he is, but to me Trump comes across as very coherant even in a video edited to provide evidence of a 'car crash'. The strategy is obviously going to be to bang on about left wing riots, illegal immigration, crime, and portray Harris as being part of all that.
    We CRUSHED IT.
    https://x.com/MattGertz/status/1818734692310405418
This discussion has been closed.