Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How Britain voted – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Sandpit said:

How long can Thames Water hold out ? Yet another debt downgrade.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/31/thames-water-troubles-mount-after-second-debt-downgrade/

"Environment Secretary Steve Reed last week said the group remained “financially viable” and would not need to be nationalised.

Mr Reed added that there was “no need to have undue concerns at the moment”.

I cant help but think that will bite his arse in the coming months and Reeves will do he blame everyone but herself routine as she suddenly has to find a few billion more.

And while she does have a point on the behaviour the various owners, it does rather raise the question of why she's letting MaQuarie one of the villains of the piece take control of the nations gas grid. Clearly she hasnt been "learning the lessons"

https://www.ft.com/content/9b615f98-f88c-4086-a3ab-3858ed299ca5

That sounds awfully like the football club chairman saying he has every confidence in the team manager.

They’ll be bust by next month, the shareholders wiped out and the debtholders seeing pennies on the pound.
    Well if they go there will be lots of unpleasant consequences.

The bills in the SE will jump substantially to
    The development projects of Thames Water will come to a stop
    Job losses
    The Thames Tideway project will need support

But on the upside none of the directors will go to jail and the Civil servants will get more lessons they can learn.
    In a sensible world OfWat would be disbanded, as clearly unfit for purpose having seen the largest company they regulate go spectacularly bust. At best, we might see an expensive rebranding while the same people sit at the same desks doing the same jobs and ‘learning their lessons’.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,520

NEW THREAD

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    edited August 1
    AnthonyT said:

kyf_100 said:

I suspect that I am not the only person who reads this site, regularly, who would like to see more women commenting, especially well-informed women, for example, Cyclefree.

I would love to see more women commenting, as I clashed with Carlotta a bit I dm'ed her a while back to clear the air. She's awesome. I also disagree on stuff with Heathener on a regular basis but think she gives as good as she takes.

Cyclefree however is a nasty bigot and, unlike Leon, doesn't have the excuse of being perpetually drunk. Her refusal to use she/her pronouns for someone who has completely transitioned and in receipt of a GRC for example.

Her last post was about the attack on an MP's freedom by pro-trans campaigners ostensibly couched in the importance of freedom of speech. But she neglected to comment on the MPs who have lost their freedom due to non-trans issues, Amess and Cox in the last decade. Her post was not about freedom of speech, but rather about freedom to criticise trans people.

I'm genuinely really tolerant of other viewpoints, but her misgendering of people with a GRC and blatant transphobia in her posts won't be missed.

This is her last header where she specifically mentions Amess and Cox.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/06/17/a-point-of-agreement/

"On June 15th. Just one day short of 8 years to the day since a female Labour MP, Jo Cox, was murdered by a far right extremist, Thomas Mair, in what was described by the judge as an act of terrorism. One other MP, David Amess, was murdered in October 2021, also by a terrorist, Ali Harbi Ali, an IS fanatic. Stephen Timms survived an attempt to murder him in 2010 by Roshonara Choudhry, an Al-Qaeda sympathiser."

Since you got that wrong you owe an apology. Though since she has left possibly because of misogynistic attacks by people like you that would be pointless. Still driving women away from public forums is what misogynists like you do so doubtless you're proud of yourself.
    Actually no. Absolutely no time for pillocks like you accusing me of misogyny for defending trans rights, particularly when I'm talking about someone who continues to use he/him pronouns for someone who has fully transitioned.

Plenty of people other than me in the comments under Cyclefree's last post have pointed out that rather than being a robust rebuttal of _all_ violence against politicians, it is, to quote one other poster, an 'excuse for anti trans commentary'.

The debate is hashed over endlessly in the post in which you link to, so you can peruse it at your leisure. I don't see any particular reason why we have to re-hash it here.

PB.com is better when it's not endlesstransposting.com, and there are more interesting topics du jour.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,761

How long can Thames Water hold out ? Yet another debt downgrade.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/31/thames-water-troubles-mount-after-second-debt-downgrade/

"Environment Secretary Steve Reed last week said the group remained “financially viable” and would not need to be nationalised.

Mr Reed added that there was “no need to have undue concerns at the moment”.

I cant help but think that will bite his arse in the coming months and Reeves will do he blame everyone but herself routine as she suddenly has to find a few billion more.

And while she does have a point on the behaviour the various owners, it does rather raise the question of why she's letting MaQuarie one of the villains of the piece take control of the nations gas grid. Clearly she hasnt been "learning the lessons"

https://www.ft.com/content/9b615f98-f88c-4086-a3ab-3858ed299ca5

You haven't noticed it already has control ?

..On the 11 March 2024, Macquarie Asset Management and British Columbia Investment Management Corporation increased their equity interest in National Gas Transmission to 80%, with National Grid maintaining a 20% interest in the business...

I don't recall your mentioning that at the time.

What government can do is regulate it until the pips squeak. The same with Thames - though in that case they can then pick up the pieces when the owners run out of cash and excuses.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    kyf_100 said:

AnthonyT said:

kyf_100 said:

I suspect that I am not the only person who reads this site, regularly, who would like to see more women commenting, especially well-informed women, for example, Cyclefree.

I would love to see more women commenting, as I clashed with Carlotta a bit I dm'ed her a while back to clear the air. She's awesome. I also disagree on stuff with Heathener on a regular basis but think she gives as good as she takes.

Cyclefree however is a nasty bigot and, unlike Leon, doesn't have the excuse of being perpetually drunk. Her refusal to use she/her pronouns for someone who has completely transitioned and in receipt of a GRC for example.

Her last post was about the attack on an MP's freedom by pro-trans campaigners ostensibly couched in the importance of freedom of speech. But she neglected to comment on the MPs who have lost their freedom due to non-trans issues, Amess and Cox in the last decade. Her post was not about freedom of speech, but rather about freedom to criticise trans people.

I'm genuinely really tolerant of other viewpoints, but her misgendering of people with a GRC and blatant transphobia in her posts won't be missed.

This is her last header where she specifically mentions Amess and Cox.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/06/17/a-point-of-agreement/

"On June 15th. Just one day short of 8 years to the day since a female Labour MP, Jo Cox, was murdered by a far right extremist, Thomas Mair, in what was described by the judge as an act of terrorism. One other MP, David Amess, was murdered in October 2021, also by a terrorist, Ali Harbi Ali, an IS fanatic. Stephen Timms survived an attempt to murder him in 2010 by Roshonara Choudhry, an Al-Qaeda sympathiser."

Since you got that wrong you owe an apology. Though since she has left possibly because of misogynistic attacks by people like you that would be pointless. Still driving women away from public forums is what misogynists like you do so doubtless you're proud of yourself.
    Actually no. Absolutely no time for pillocks like you accusing me of misogyny for defending trans rights, particularly when I'm talking about someone who continues to use he/him pronouns for someone who has fully transitioned.

Plenty of people other than me in the comments under Cyclefree's last post have pointed out that rather than being a robust rebuttal of _all_ violence against politicians, it is, to quote one other poster, an 'excuse for anti trans commentary'.

The debate is hashed over endlessly in the post in which you link to, so you can peruse it at your leisure. I don't see any particular reason why we have to re-hash it here.

PB.com is better when it's not endlesstransposting.com, and there are more interesting topics du jour.
    I read that as endless train spotting.com . Which PB can also feel like at times...
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited August 1
This discussion has been closed.