Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How Britain voted – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    edited July 31

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

eek said:

Labour hit the sleaze path early

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnd064lx50lo

TBF, I think that is the most minor of minor ruling breaking. She has other houses rented out between her and her husband that are registered.
    Cut the Field Marshal some slack. It is only three weeks in and he is still grieving.
    Since I didnt vote for the last govt there;s nothing to grieve about only the depressing certainty that Reeves is going to fk things up.
    Given what she has inherited - not completely fk things up will take a miracle worker...

Note the differences in opinion here - I know it's Hunt's fked up NI cuts that have created a lot of the problems, you are pretending that those tax cuts were not a desperate attempt to win some votes.
    Oh you added a bit

Reeves is simply spinless. I could respect her is she wantd to increase public pay and came clean about it. Instead she us hiding behind others to avoid the heat. Coward.

And it's not as if people cant see through it. Now she's fked up even more by dragging the OBR in to things. If the OBR is meant to be non political , it now ii is now firmly in the political arena, And she has jusr painted herself in to a corner. as it owns her. That's not what a CoE should be doing.

And then of course there's the general loss of credibility as she backtracks on previous promises, changes policy and bribes her mates. Pre election you had a go at me for say she should cut spending and you told me there was no room for cuts. What would you say about the £1.5bn cut to pensioners heating ?

Clearly there is room and there will be more cuts to come. But instead of building infrastructure of or cutting the deficit, she'll simply spend on rubbish and we'll be no better off.
    To be as fair as I want to be, you're right and wrong.

I've no issue with the implementation of a pay review from an independent body. - Sunak did the same in July 2023 when implementing 5-7% pay increases for Police, NHS staff, the armed forces, teachers and others. While that was closer to the ambient inflation at the time, the 2024/25 award recognises a degree of "catch up" from the 2010s and the truth some elements of inflation remain "sticky". I hope local Government staff also receive a fair deal this year - they almost certainly won't.

That said, the £22 billion "black hole" stunt has been poor and clumsy politics by Reeves - it's Opposition tactics, not Government strategy and has left her weakened. I assume the line is to get the pain in early and simply saying no to certain tax rises wasn't good politics in the campaign either. For what little it's worth Hunt was equally disingenuous on tax and spending. He may think he's left the economy in good shape but too many important cans were kicked down the road in the final 18 months.

Where I disagree is the pensioners' fuel allowance which, AIUI, is being cut only for those pensioners not receiving any other benefit such as pension credit. There was an inherent absurdity about wealthy pensioners (they do exist) getting this £250 (which they didn't need). In truth, I'd prefer to have seen higher payments go to those in genuine need (£250 doesn't go that far in heating costs). The problem about any means tested system is a) the bureaucracy which is costly to set up and administer and b) the bureaucracy which deters people from claiming. Giving it to everyone is cheaper and simpler but you could say it of almost every other benefit.
    wealthy pensioners dont need the money, it was a Gordon Brown bribe to win votes. There are lots more things like it - free prescriptions ? But pre-election my usual PB lefties were all saying it was impossible to make savings and spend less. Apparently savings can be made.

It's just a shame that having made the uncomfortable choice it will get wasted in 1970s inflation re-run.
    The problem is that the ‘wealthy’ pensioners are a much smaller proportion of the population than this forum, and media in general, might think. They’re mostly retired workers from the public sector, and those public companies privatised from the 1980s, who are on final-salary index-linked pensions. It’s perhaps 10% of pensioners.
    27% of pensioners are millionaires apparently.
    Paging Big G!
    Depends how it's calculated of course. I wasn't, the last time I tried to do so..
    Does that not include the value of their pensions and properties ? In the case of DB the actuarial values. So it is a little misleading. Sure they could sell up but they still need somewhere to live and the pension has to last their life. For a DC pensions to make it last you should be drawing around 5% a year.

A million in assets/pensions is not the same as having loads of disposable cash that is easy to access.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    The Athletic NYT - Canada loses Olympic drone-spying appeal as new FIFA details emerge ahead of must-win game

The Court of Arbitration for Sport on Wednesday upheld a six-point Olympic tournament deduction for the Canadian women’s soccer team in a drone spying scandal, affirming FIFA’s choice to heavily limit the reigning gold medalist facing sharp questions about its tactics to engineer a repeat.

The dismissal of Canada’s appeal came hours before the entire field, with 12 teams split among three divisions, was set to compete in the final games of group play, a decisive moment with four teams to be eliminated by the end of Wednesday night.

It also came as FIFA released a full report of the findings that led to its decision to punish Canada for using a drone to watch New Zealand practice ahead of their Olympic opener. The report revealed a damning picture of Canada’s use of drones to surveil opposing training sessions.

Emails from Bev Priestman, Canada’s coach who was sent home from the Olympics as national officials tried to shield players from fallout, mentioned regular spying in both men’s and women’s soccer, which Priestman described in one correspondence as something that “can be the difference between winning and losing.” . . .
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Last night the first time that God save the KING played at the pool for 100 years for the 4x200m freestylers. Interesting stat.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

Kamala Harris seems perfectly nice, very smiley. I can't help but question though why given the opportunity of being VP to a waning President, she has failed to distinguish herself to the point of Biden being the preferred candidate until his deficiencies were so glaring they could no longer be denied.

I expect readers to be familiar with "Wag the Dog"

When the story of Kamala's victory is written, there will be people who claim that Biden's late departure was perfectly planned to rope a dope Trump into the wrong campaign with the wrong VP pick...
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Kamala Harris seems perfectly nice, very smiley. I can't help but question though why given the opportunity of being VP to a waning President, she has failed to distinguish herself to the point of Biden being the preferred candidate until his deficiencies were so glaring they could no longer be denied.

She’s a totally empty suit, something which will soon become apparent once the sycophancy dies down a little.
    How do you square the circle of your flag waving for Trump and his flag waving for Putin?
    I don't recall Sandpit flag waving for Trump?
    It's possible to be dubious about the merits of a candidate without supporting that candidates opponent. Especially in an election in which you don't have a vote.
    Are there any out and out Trump supporters on PB? I know @HYUFD is at least somewhat supportive, but even the much missed Plato wasn't entirely in his camp.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

She’s a totally empty suit, something which will soon become apparent once the sycophancy dies down a little.
    How do you square the circle of your flag waving for Trump and his flag waving for Putin?
    It's possible to be dubious about the merits of a candidate without supporting that candidates opponent. Especially in an election in which you don't have a vote.
    He seems to be something of an enthusiast, but that's for him rather than me to confirm.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Several people have pointed out that Trump's performance in the debate wasn't great either. He just wasn't as bad as Biden. He's clearly on the decline too.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Tomorrow I go to St Peterborough to admire Cathedral. Da.

Back in October 2022, I went to Peterborough to do the Nene Valley Railway.
    Fun fact. Many years ago I once had an impromptu PB meet up with @Verulamius when I was sat on a train to work reading PB on my mobile and realised the chap sat next to me also was reading PB.
    We haven't had a PB meet up for far too long. I really enjoyed the one I went to in Manchester.
    Last one I went to was in London, 2017.
    Sunil. Time to upgrade your 'Starmer /Calmer logo. Why not one for 'Kamala'? You've done some good ones in your time
    To be fair there's not as many words that rhyme with Kamala but if anyone can do it, @Sunil_Prasannan can :D
    Whamala Bamala thank you Kamala?
    @ProjectLincoln

Newly surfaced audio: JD Vance on record bashing Trump's immigration policies and border wall.

"I don't think if you build a great Mexican wall all of a sudden you all these steel mill jobs are going to come back to southern Ohio"

https://x.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1818715753337770486
  • Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson
    I’m delighted to share the cover for UNLEASHED and I’m looking forward to sharing the book with you when it is published this October.
    Pre-order here: https://lnkfi.re/lAxuCn
    https://x.com/BorisJohnson/status/1818610843140907318

I like books but I doubt I'll get that one.
    Do publishers offer a non-fire-sale type clause for their authors? They clearly know their market, so they must have printed just one copy of Truss's great work for example, but where it's less clear will they agree to pulp rather than dump the offending works? (I think it was Brown who's book could be had cheaper than firewood wasn't it?)
    The book of my enemy has been remaindered
    And I am pleased.
    In vast quantities it has been remaindered
    Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been seized
    And sits in piles in a police warehouse,
    My enemy's much-prized effort sits in piles
    In the kind of bookshop where remaindering occurs.
    Great, square stacks of rejected books and, between them, aisles
    One passes down reflecting on life's vanities,
    Pausing to remember all those thoughtful reviews
    Lavished to no avail upon one's enemy's book --
    For behold, here is that book
    Among these ranks and banks of duds,
    These ponderous and seeminly irreducible cairns
    Of complete stiffs.
    Charles Haughtry to read? (I looked up this name and it seems I'm entirely wrong - but you know the chap I mean - overweight, a bit lisping, a bit evil, old before his time)
    Charles Haughtry,
    Sounds like a mashup of dogdy Irish Prime Minister and dodgy Carry On Icon...
    Charles Laughton was the name I was searching for.
    I thought you meant Charles Hawtrey.
  • Taz said:

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

eek said:

TBF, I think that is the most minor of minor ruling breaking. She has other houses rented out between her and her husband that are registered.
    Cut the Field Marshal some slack. It is only three weeks in and he is still grieving.
    Since I didnt vote for the last govt there;s nothing to grieve about only the depressing certainty that Reeves is going to fk things up.
    Given what she has inherited - not completely fk things up will take a miracle worker...

Note the differences in opinion here - I know it's Hunt's fked up NI cuts that have created a lot of the problems, you are pretending that those tax cuts were not a desperate attempt to win some votes.
    Oh you added a bit

Reeves is simply spinless. I could respect her is she wantd to increase public pay and came clean about it. Instead she us hiding behind others to avoid the heat. Coward.

And it's not as if people cant see through it. Now she's fked up even more by dragging the OBR in to things. If the OBR is meant to be non political , it now ii is now firmly in the political arena, And she has jusr painted herself in to a corner. as it owns her. That's not what a CoE should be doing.

And then of course there's the general loss of credibility as she backtracks on previous promises, changes policy and bribes her mates. Pre election you had a go at me for say she should cut spending and you told me there was no room for cuts. What would you say about the £1.5bn cut to pensioners heating ?

Clearly there is room and there will be more cuts to come. But instead of building infrastructure of or cutting the deficit, she'll simply spend on rubbish and we'll be no better off.

I've no issue with the implementation of a pay review from an independent body. - Sunak did the same in July 2023 when implementing 5-7% pay increases for Police, NHS staff, the armed forces, teachers and others. While that was closer to the ambient inflation at the time, the 2024/25 award recognises a degree of "catch up" from the 2010s and the truth some elements of inflation remain "sticky". I hope local Government staff also receive a fair deal this year - they almost certainly won't.

That said, the £22 billion "black hole" stunt has been poor and clumsy politics by Reeves - it's Opposition tactics, not Government strategy and has left her weakened. I assume the line is to get the pain in early and simply saying no to certain tax rises wasn't good politics in the campaign either. For what little it's worth Hunt was equally disingenuous on tax and spending. He may think he's left the economy in good shape but too many important cans were kicked down the road in the final 18 months.

Where I disagree is the pensioners' fuel allowance which, AIUI, is being cut only for those pensioners not receiving any other benefit such as pension credit. There was an inherent absurdity about wealthy pensioners (they do exist) getting this £250 (which they didn't need). In truth, I'd prefer to have seen higher payments go to those in genuine need (£250 doesn't go that far in heating costs). The problem about any means tested system is a) the bureaucracy which is costly to set up and administer and b) the bureaucracy which deters people from claiming. Giving it to everyone is cheaper and simpler but you could say it of almost every other benefit.
    wealthy pensioners dont need the money, it was a Gordon Brown bribe to win votes. There are lots more things like it - free prescriptions ? But pre-election my usual PB lefties were all saying it was impossible to make savings and spend less. Apparently savings can be made.

It's just a shame that having made the uncomfortable choice it will get wasted in 1970s inflation re-run.
    The problem is that the ‘wealthy’ pensioners are a much smaller proportion of the population than this forum, and media in general, might think. They’re mostly retired workers from the public sector, and those public companies privatised from the 1980s, who are on final-salary index-linked pensions. It’s perhaps 10% of pensioners.
    Paging Big G!
    Depends how it's calculated of course. I wasn't, the last time I tried to do so..
    Does that not include the value of their pensions and properties ? In the case of DB the actuarial values. So it is a little misleading. Sure they could sell up but they still need somewhere to live and the pension has to last their life. For a DC pensions to make it last you should be drawing around 5% a year.

A million in assets/pensions is not the same as having loads of disposable cash that is easy to access.
    DB pension. Multiply the gross annual amount by 20 to get the equivalent cash value.
    edited July 31

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson
    I’m delighted to share the cover for UNLEASHED and I’m looking forward to sharing the book with you when it is published this October.
    Pre-order here: https://lnkfi.re/lAxuCn
    https://x.com/BorisJohnson/status/1818610843140907318

I like books but I doubt I'll get that one.
    Do publishers offer a non-fire-sale type clause for their authors? They clearly know their market, so they must have printed just one copy of Truss's great work for example, but where it's less clear will they agree to pulp rather than dump the offending works? (I think it was Brown who's book could be had cheaper than firewood wasn't it?)
    The book of my enemy has been remaindered
    And I am pleased.
    In vast quantities it has been remaindered
    Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been seized
    And sits in piles in a police warehouse,
    My enemy's much-prized effort sits in piles
    In the kind of bookshop where remaindering occurs.
    Great, square stacks of rejected books and, between them, aisles
    One passes down reflecting on life's vanities,
    Pausing to remember all those thoughtful reviews
    Lavished to no avail upon one's enemy's book --
    For behold, here is that book
    Among these ranks and banks of duds,
    These ponderous and seeminly irreducible cairns
    Of complete stiffs.
    Charles Haughtry to read? (I looked up this name and it seems I'm entirely wrong - but you know the chap I mean - overweight, a bit lisping, a bit evil, old before his time)
    Charles Haughtry,
    Sounds like a mashup of dogdy Irish Prime Minister and dodgy Carry On Icon...
    Charles Laughton was the name I was searching for.
    I thought you meant Charles Hawtrey.
    Clearly that's who I was getting mixed up with, but Laughton was my reader of choice.

Edit: No doubt @williamglenn has moved on though, so it's no longer of interest.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,761
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Me either.
    But he is pretty conservative, and I think he underestimates Harris.
    It takes a bit more than an empty suit to pull off the sort of political mood shift we’ve seen in the last week.

I certainly didn’t predict she pull it off.
    But the conventional wisdom was wrong, which is why it was possibly to carry on backing her at around 2.8, at the same time it was clear the polls were suggesting a tossup election.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Are there any out and out Trump supporters on PB? I know @HYUFD is at least somewhat supportive, but even the much missed Plato wasn't entirely in his camp.
    Hmmm. My reading of posts is that @HYUFD is not the slightest in his camp. I believe he has said he would vote democrat if in America. I'm sure he will put me right if I have that wrong. Plato on the other hand was hook, line and sinker a Trump fan.
    Marchand is really, really special.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    This is incredible. How stupid is the DWP system for carers.

One of the people in this video has a kindly boss who sits down and tries to work out how she can continue working as a cleaner for the following week and not go over her carer working allowance. There's little bonuses to factor in etc.

Mind bumbling complicated.

Madness.

These are people who actively want to work and yet everyday the press scream about millions doing nothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/video/2024/jul/30/im-under-attack-and-fighting-back-the-scandal-trapping-carers-video?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign&utm_content=ap_ayegtw80qn
    Seattle Times - X suspends ‘White Dudes for Harris’ account after massive fundraiser

Elon Musk’s social media platform X suspended “White Dudes for Harris” Monday night, shortly after a massive fundraising call where almost 200,000 people helped raise more than $4 million for the vice president and presumptive Democratic nominee.

The account, @dudes4harris, was reinstated Tuesday morning after it was blocked hours before because of “a user report” for “violating our rules against evading suspension,” according to a screenshot shared with The Washington Post. Organizer Ross Morales Rocketto said the group submitted a complaint to X, but had no other direct communication from the platform. . . .

The suspension on X, which occurred as the group and its allies were posting heavily about the event after it ended, reflects broader concerns among Democrats that the platform, which Musk bought in 2022, could be used to influence the online discourse in the months leading to the presidential election.

SSI - With reference to last para above - that's one way of putting it!
    kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Hmmm. My reading of posts is that @HYUFD is not the slightest in his camp. I believe he has said he would vote democrat if in America. I'm sure he will put me right if I have that wrong. Plato on the other hand was hook, line and sinker a Trump fan.
    Completely apologise to @HYUFD if I've misrepresented him.

• Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

eek said:

Oh you added a bit

Paging Big G!

DB pension. Multiply the gross annual amount by 20 to get the equivalent cash value.
    Any pensioner calculating his net worth shouldn't overlook his teeth. I was informed today that I may need two implants which, of course, causes me to gnash them even harder.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

“A statement from the broadcaster said: “In November 2023, whilst Mr Edwards was suspended, the BBC as his employer at the time was made aware in confidence that he had been arrested on suspicion of serious offences and released on bail whilst the police continued their investigation.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/31/huw-edwards-guilty-latest/

Wonder if Huw had a his house raided at any point (presumably he did?) BBC didn't put a helicopter up over his house!
    "Lessons have been learnt...."
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Can someone explain to me why the plod are asking for more time to question the child killer? Why haven't they charged him with murder yet? Why does it feel as though they're dragging this out, there's a dozen eye witnesses and they actually caught him at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon in his hands.

What more do they need to know from questioning him, or is it that if they charge him there's a high chance that a judge may waive anonymity and there's political pressure to drag this out?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said when Biden pulled out that he'd vote Trump over the "woke" Kamala.

Not sure if he stands by that still.
    edited July 31
    At the end of the video i posted a bit ago. One of the women wins a tribunal and the judge says her wages should be averaged for carers allowance over a four week cycle.

The fucking DWP appeal!!!!

Talk about productivity in the public sector.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Scott_xP said:

@ProjectLincoln

Newly surfaced audio: JD Vance on record bashing Trump's immigration policies and border wall.

"I don't think if you build a great Mexican wall all of a sudden you all these steel mill jobs are going to come back to southern Ohio"

He should have couched his language a bit better, if his heart was settee on higher office.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Leon (and his many aliases).

While Leon can be a pain in the ass, and sometimes express *difficult* views, he's valid as a poster here because he espouses a kind of alt-right viewpoint most of us don't share but that is fairly common outside of PB. He was the only remotely reform-curious poster on this site during the GE despite them polling approx 1/5 of the population at one point. So I think from a betting standpoint it's wise to have those views in the mix.

I aslo realise his views piss a lot of people off, like Farooq, who is a pretty intelligent guy, and I would rather he came back.

The best way to disprove some of Leon's more Taki-esque points is to engage in thoughtful and rational debate and to force those ideas into the crucible. Banning him, or flouncing because you don't want to engage with him, is a bit of a cop out.

I find myself in vehement agreement with Leon 50% of the time and equally as opposed to him the other half.
    MaxPB said:

Can someone explain to me why the plod are asking for more time to question the child killer? Why haven't they charged him with murder yet? Why does it feel as though they're dragging this out, there's a dozen eye witnesses and they actually caught him at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon in his hands.

What more do they need to know from questioning him, or is it that if they charge him there's a high chance that a judge may waive anonymity and there's political pressure to drag this out?

Part 1 - I believe its relatively standard practice for the Police to maintain suspects pre-charge custodial time for as long as they can as once they charge then they need all the evidence etc lined up already so better to dot every i and cross every t now.

This is part of the reason why Blair's desired extensions to detention without charge were wrong as well as being totally illiberal.

Part 2 - No, definitely not. AFAIK anonymity is only waived post-conviction (see the killers of Brianna Ghey for comparison) so short of an early guilty plea that's not happening for another year or more given delays to our courts combined with how long murder trials take.
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@ProjectLincoln

He should have couched his language a bit better, if his heart was settee on higher office.
    Did Trump use the same vetting company as Tice and Farage for Reform candidates?

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    35m
    If you want to see a big orange white man digging himself into a big black hole switch to
    @CNN
    now. Trump at the convention for black journalists. What an utterly disgusting human being. Methinks
    @KamalaHarris
    is really getting to him
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    MaxPB said:

I don't know and after last night's events I wonder if we would be better to avoid speculation about it all for now. I do think Merseyside Police may not have helped themselves by being so coy thus far.

MaxPB said:

Part 1 - I believe its relatively standard practice for the Police to maintain suspects pre-charge custodial time for as long as they can as once they charge then they need all the evidence etc lined up already so better to dot every i and cross every t now.

This is part of the reason why Blair's desired extensions to detention without charge were wrong as well as being totally illiberal.

Part 2 - No, definitely not. AFAIK anonymity is only waived post-conviction (see the killers of Brianna Ghey for comparison) so short of an early guilty plea that's not happening for another year or more given delays to our courts combined with how long murder trials take.
    Whilst I agree with point 1 I also think that the priority for the police is to find out if anyone else has helped set this up or facilitated what has happened. Once he is charged their ability to speak to him and explore that is more limited.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    35m
    If you want to see a big orange white man digging himself into a big black hole switch to
    @CNN
    now. Trump at the convention for black journalists. What an utterly disgusting human being. Methinks
    @KamalaHarris
    is really getting to him

What an utterly disgusting human being.

ooh the irony
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Latest IT screwup: Spotify.

Their update today crashes the app if you attempt to use a Bluetooth device as the output. Don’t update it if you haven’t already.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tech/spotify-down-bug-outage-music-app-crash-bluetooth-b1173921.html

Apple Music for the win.
    Or just travel with your personal string quartet.
    I once hired a violin player for a romantic dinner.

It was great for the first minute he played then it became a bit weird and awkward afterwards.
    I was sitting in an outside restaurant in Villefranche with a girl and an American guitar player started playing for us. The guitar player said to my friend 'Do you like Bono?'. 'Yes' she said 'Your bottom is in the exact same place his was last night'. 'Really' she said ' I'll never wipe it again'
    Evidence you know people who have shit for brains?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

MaxPB said:

As a purely theoretical question, what happens if he turns 18 this month?

Does that mean he can then be named, or does it depend on his age when the crime occurred?

I guess if he is charged that will render this irrelevant.

MaxPB said:

Does that mean he can then be named, or does it depend on his age when the crime occurred?

It depends on the age when the offence was committed
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    35m
    @CNN
    @KamalaHarris
    is really getting to him

ooh the irony
    Campbell's re-invention as doyen of centrist commentators demonstates that, sadly, shamelessness is one of the most powerful forces on the planet.
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Whilst I agree with point 1 I also think that the priority for the police is to find out if anyone else has helped set this up or facilitated what has happened. Once he is charged their ability to speak to him and explore that is more limited.
    That's an excellent point, well made.

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    35m
    @CNN
    @KamalaHarris
    is really getting to him

ooh the irony
    Pot comments on kettle.
  • I see things are a bit lively in whitehall this evening.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    DavidL said:
    Thing is, it didn't used to piss everyone off. Enough people were enjoyed it, or were prepared to put up with it, for it to be a viable strategy. Shithousing HRC worked. And it came close to working against Biden.

Something is different now. A lot of that must be Trump's age; the art of spite is to do it with enough elegance that it doesn't get spotted until it's too late. Think Maradona's Hand of God. Trump is now a bit too old, a bit to clunky to get away with it. Plus, he's been doing it for a decade. We have all seen the movie, we know where to look if we want to look. (Plenty don't want to look, of course.)

It helps that Harris seems to have a strong Trump immunity field around her. Must send him potty.

(Something similar happened to Johnson, though that was more an ageing comedian taking his catchphrases out for one tour too many. Whatever his talents in 2019, he isn't the solution to the Conservative's problems now.)
    Regrets, I've had a few...

@KamalaHQ
    Q: Is JD Vance ready on day one?

Trump: What?

Q: Is he ready on day one?

Trump: Well, the Vice President does not have any impact
    carnforth said:

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    35m
    @CNN
    @KamalaHarris
    is really getting to him

ooh the irony
    Campbell's re-invention as doyen of centrist commentators demonstates that, sadly, shamelessness is one of the most powerful forces on the planet.
    Truss seems to be trying to do the same as a right wing commentator.

Campbell is such a dick, on his centrist Dad podcast he was criticising the sentences passed down on the ‘whole truth five’ and when called out admitted he’d not even bothered with the judges sentencing notes.

I see things are a bit lively in whitehall this evening.

Hopefully it will piss down tomorrow evening and nip any more protests in the bud. Last thing we need is an escalation.

MaxPB said:

I don't know and after last night's events I wonder if we would be better to avoid speculation about it all for now. I do think Merseyside Police may not have helped themselves by being so coy thus far.
    In the medium term, it will all come out, whatever "it" is. If the public being told stuff sooner puts the right outcome at any sort of risk at all, I'd prefer right to soon.

It's not human nature, and 21st century media really goes against that attitude, but it's got to be the right thing to do.
    Taz said:

Hopefully it will piss down tomorrow evening and nip any more protests in the bud. Last thing we need is an escalation.
    Protests are good according to the guardian
    Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

As long as they agree with the protesters, of course.
    Taz said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

As long as they agree with the protesters, of course.
    Well naturally its the nature of the guardian....things we agree with are good etc....same as the mail or the telegraph etc
    Did they really just pull Trump off stage half way through?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631
    Omnium said:

kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

I don’t think Hyufd is pro-Trump.

What he definitely is, is anti-Harris.

Why, I’m not sure.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,519
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Why, I’m not sure.
    Kamala Harris supported the Duchess of Sussex in the royal racism scandal.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

“A statement from the broadcaster said: “In November 2023, whilst Mr Edwards was suspended, the BBC as his employer at the time was made aware in confidence that he had been arrested on suspicion of serious offences and released on bail whilst the police continued their investigation.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/31/huw-edwards-guilty-latest/

Wonder if Huw had a his house raided at any point (presumably he did?) BBC didn't put a helicopter up over his house!
    Who needs a freaking helicopter, when a fricking drone is way cheaper and more effective?

Just ask the Canadian Olympic soccer team! (Or maybe don't?)
    The news organisations lost their enthusiasm for doorstepping/helicoptering people when the Cliff Richard disaster happened.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

It depends on the age when the offence was committed
    Thanks.

I guess stopping the rumour mills won't matter in a week or so as the mob will have moved on.

Leaving the victims to carry on dealing with the aftermath for, well, another 80 years or so.
    Scott_xP said:

It seems so.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Bugger. Outed.
    Mrs C and I hadf a day out in Peterborough. Well, outside it a bit - to see the Flag Fen site. But the cathedral is a surprise, and the borough museum is nice with eg fossils from the local brick claypits. Or it was then: these days, one has to check if the council museum is still open if one goes anywhere.
    Hudgely underrated cathedral because the town isn't great these days, and the cathedral precincts are less than optimal. But original burial place of Mary QoS, and Katherine of Aragon. Brilliant ceiling. Closely linked too to the slight mystery of Archdeacon Wakeford and a lady who was not his wife, beautifully written up by John Treherne in 'Dangerous Precincts', one of very few books to mention Algarkirk on the first page.
    Thanks; have put that down for the Abebooks list.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems so.
    What's happened? Don't see anything on the news and Google just brings up stuff about the shooting weeks ago.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    Steve Rotherham is by some way the least impressive of the metro mayors. (Apart from Khan, obviously.)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/31/liverpool-mayor-southport-suspect-religion-irrelevant/
    Cookie said:

Steve Rotherham is by some way the least impressive of the metro mayors. (Apart from Khan, obviously.)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/31/liverpool-mayor-southport-suspect-religion-irrelevant/

Mr Rotheram said: “Let’s be absolutely brutal and honest – what are those questions that remain unanswered?

“Well, the name of the individual. That’s because of legal reasons, that person’s 17. The one that social media wants to find out is the religion of that person. So you have to ask yourself the question ‘why would anybody want to know the religion of the perpetrator of this vicious and heinous crime?’

“And it’s to do with exactly what we just talked about earlier, which is to stir up more tension in this community.”

He's 100% correct.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    35m
    @CNN
    @KamalaHarris
    is really getting to him

ooh the irony
    What's happened to the funny guy who spent his days on Oxford Road at Haze of Dope (AKA Days of Hope) lolling around with some of the best funny men ever to come out of the UK? You sound strangely bitter at the moment......
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Why, I’m not sure.
    Which bit of "Completely apologise to @HYUFD if I've misrepresented him." wasn't clear?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    edited July 31
    Just seen Trump’s “is Harris Indian or black” comments.

Boy, he really doesn’t know how to deal with her does he?

He’s on the back foot and it’s showing.

Cookie said:

Mr Rotheram said: “Let’s be absolutely brutal and honest – what are those questions that remain unanswered?

“Well, the name of the individual. That’s because of legal reasons, that person’s 17. The one that social media wants to find out is the religion of that person. So you have to ask yourself the question ‘why would anybody want to know the religion of the perpetrator of this vicious and heinous crime?’

“And it’s to do with exactly what we just talked about earlier, which is to stir up more tension in this community.”

He's 100% correct.
    Religion may be a big factor here, we know Muslim men have got problems with women and infidels etc...

To say it's "irrelevant" isn't the truth. It may be irrelevant, it may not be.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems so.
    Context?

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems so.
    What's happened? Don't see anything on the news and Google just brings up stuff about the shooting weeks ago.
    https://x.com/atrupar/status/1818721449059692702?t=M0O1Xi2SW--Dd9dams6fYA&s=19

He has been tweeting bits of the interview.
    Taz said:

No we don't need an escalation, we do need for the people to send a message to the government and police that this is unacceptable and the seemingly blasé nature of the PM in dealing with the fallout of the murders and subsequent anger from him against the idiot rioters is only going to make people more angry. His priorities are clear from where they're standing - he's siding with the child murderer because they think the child murderer is an immigrant Muslim (with no evidence, of course).
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems so.
    Does the Republican Party have an equivalent to the 25th Amendment for its presidential nominees?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited July 31

Carnyx said:

Bugger. Outed.
    Mrs C and I hadf a day out in Peterborough. Well, outside it a bit - to see the Flag Fen site. But the cathedral is a surprise, and the borough museum is nice with eg fossils from the local brick claypits. Or it was then: these days, one has to check if the council museum is still open if one goes anywhere.
    The Great Fen Project is quite interesting too.
    https://www.greatfen.org.uk/

Includes the UK's lowest point (in the fields near Holme Fen) and Woodwalton Fen, one of the first nature reserves.

Though Peterborough itself isn't great, cathedral or not.

Ooh, that reminds me of something I learnt about at school - the Posts to show the fen shrinkage.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/holme-fen-posts

I never did get to see them. What with this and @algarkirk 's post I'm thinking it is time to have a trip to Peterborough again. In my younger days I went on a coupe of excursions to the claypits - quite something - not just the fossils but the sheer size and the excavators and conveyor belts. I imagine they are all filled in with London rubbish now.

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

eek said:

Oh you added a bit

Paging Big G!

Which is why some people say that the state pension is an asset worth £230k to the individual.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    OT.....Of nothing in particular: isn't La Marseilaise a wonderful National Anthem? It always reminds me of Casablanca.
    @PippaCrerar

EXCL: Kemi Badenoch asked officials to pay for holiday flight to United States with taxpayers’ money while in government but was rebuffed by former department’s top civil servant 👇🏼

https://x.com/PippaCrerar/status/1818734191023911185
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Why, I’m not sure.
    Which bit of "Completely apologise to @HYUFD if I've misrepresented him." wasn't clear?
    It was clear.

I was just elaborating on what his position seems to be.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems so.
    https://x.com/atrupar/status/1818721449059692702?t=M0O1Xi2SW--Dd9dams6fYA&s=19

He has been tweeting bits of the interview.
    Did Trump make all those crazy remarks on race and gender in an interview conducted by an African American woman?

If so, he's even more doolally than I thought.

No wonder his team were frantic to get him out of there.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Bugger. Outed.

Includes the UK's lowest point (in the fields near Holme Fen) and Woodwalton Fen, one of the first nature reserves.

Ooh, that reminds me of something I learnt about at school - the Posts to show the fen shrinkage.

I never did get to see them. What with this and @algarkirk 's post I'm thinking it is time to have a trip to Peterborough again. In my younger days I went on a coupe of excursions to the claypits - quite something - not just the fossils but the sheer size and the excavators and conveyor belts. I imagine they are all filled in with London rubbish now.

Somewhat ironically, I get this when I try to visit https://www.greatfen.org.uk/

MaxPB said:

Because of the layers of legal cruft that have been added over the years, arresting people and charging them don’t mean exactly what they sound like.

In particular various legal rights come into play.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

He's 100% correct.
    Religion may be a big factor here, we know Muslim men have got problems with women and infidels etc...

BBC News - Did social media fan the flames of riot in Southport?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd1e8d7llg9o

"That he appears to have no known links to Islam"

But it still might be relevant?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    Roger said:

OT.....Of nothing in particular: isn't La Marseilaise a wonderful National Anthem? It always reminds me of Casablanca.

Best one, I'd say.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited July 31
    Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

EXCL: Kemi Badenoch asked officials to pay for holiday flight to United States with taxpayers’ money while in government but was rebuffed by former department’s top civil servant 👇🏼

The Guardian really have a thing about Kemi. It feels a bit like the not the right type of non-white person, so gets even more incoming.

"Badenoch had travelled to Mexico for an official visit to discuss the UK’s bid to join the CPTPP Indo-Pacific trade bloc, of which Mexico was a founding member, as well as bilateral trade with the country. Her business class flight there was covered by her department.

But before travelling, she asked the office of DBT permanent secretary, Gareth Davies, whether the department would pick up the bill for a flight to Dallas, where she was holidaying with her family, as the overall cost was lower than a business class return from Mexico."

Hardly paying for your husband dirty movies on the tax payer or even asking if moat cleaning is included as necessary expense.

When I was in academia, we used to be allowed to do this kind of thing, if you were going to a conference anyway, if it was cheaper or no more money, you could still expense a multi-hop journey.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Sea of Yorkshire flags up in Tickhill !
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    On lotteries, FWIW: Years ago, I saw an analysis in, if I recall correctly, Slate, that showed that tickets to those US lotteries that accumulate prizes could have positive expected values. The math is too tricky for me to do in my head -- and depends on whether you live in a state with an income tax, but the logic is simple enough: For example, If the prize accumulates to a billion dollars, and fewer than 300 million tickets are sold, then it is likely that the expected value of any ticket is positive, even after taxes.

(You also have to calculate the chances that one or more other people will pick the same number you did, in which case the prize would be divided.)
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Non violent protesters are good. Throwing bricks at police and places of worship are not.

It really isn't difficult to understand.
    Define non violennt protestors. I suspect your view is people who throws bricks or firebombs at police. I agree that is violent protest. However I also class someone who cuts a poor families income by 20% because they couldn't get to work as violent protest...I suspect you dismiss that as invcovience and non violent
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,519
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkshire Day tomorrow!
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:

No we don't need an escalation, we do need for the people to send a message to the government and police that this is unacceptable and the seemingly blasé nature of the PM in dealing with the fallout of the murders and subsequent anger from him against the idiot rioters is only going to make people more angry. His priorities are clear from where they're standing - he's siding with the child murderer because they think the child murderer is an immigrant Muslim (with no evidence, of course).
    Sorry but no, everyone decent should be standing with law and order here.

Which is against the murder, in favour of the Police being given space to do their job, in favour of the law being maintained about protecting the identity of under 18 suspects (see the cutting down every law to get to the devil quote) and against the trouble-makers who are trying to abuse this incident to instil even more violence.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@ProjectLincoln

Did Trump use the same vetting company as Tice and Farage for Reform candidates?
    He used his own pride & joy - Donald J. Trump, Jr.

Who was even more gormless & clueless than per usual.
    Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Oh dear. Has KB fallen for the "ignore the possibility that the journalist will have a second story" trick?

That's as old as Donald Trump sounds.

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Which is against the murder, in favour of the Police being given space to do their job, in favour of the law being maintained about protecting the identity of under 18 suspects (see the cutting down every law to get to the devil quote) and against the trouble-makers who are trying to abuse this incident to instil even more violence.
    When the police start upholding the law let us know and we will give them space
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

The Guardian really have a thing about Kemi. It feels a bit like the not the right type of non-white person, so gets even more incoming.

"Badenoch had travelled to Mexico for an official visit to discuss the UK’s bid to join the CPTPP Indo-Pacific trade bloc, of which Mexico was a founding member, as well as bilateral trade with the country. Her business class flight there was covered by her department.

But before travelling, she asked the office of DBT permanent secretary, Gareth Davies, whether the department would pick up the bill for a flight to Dallas, where she was holidaying with her family, as the overall cost was lower than a business class return from Mexico."

Hardly paying for your husband dirty movies on the tax payer or even asking if moat cleaning is included as necessary expense.

When I was in academia, we used to be allowed to do this kind of thing, if you were going to a conference anyway, if it was cheaper or no more money, you could still expense a multi-hop journey.
    Minister asks if she is permitted to expense something.

Minister is told no.

Minister doesn’t expense the thing.

Big deal.

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Non violent protesters are good. Throwing bricks at police and places of worship are not.

Define non violennt protestors. I suspect your view is people who throws bricks or firebombs at police. I agree that is violent protest. However I also class someone who cuts a poor families income by 20% because they couldn't get to work as violent protest...I suspect you dismiss that as invcovience and non violent
    Er no. As usual your fantasy about my views is completely delusional.
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

He's 100% correct.

Its irrelevant for the vigilantes causing violence to find it out before it goes to trial.

If its a factor its relevant for the Police and the courts to do their job.

What almost certainly is relevant more than religion is sex. Girls and women being attacked by a man. But all some people want is to spark a race war.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Bugger. Outed.

I've been to the Holme Fen posts a couple of times - I've never taken my son there though, despite often zooming up and down the A1(M) near them. They're quite impressive, in an understated manner.

I think the clay pits have changed a fair bit - there are far fewer chimneys then there used to be.

Oh, and I can also recommend, in a way, a visit to Flag Fen to see the Bronze Age walkway.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited July 31

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Minister asks if she is permitted to expense something.

Minister is told no.

Minister doesn’t expense the thing.

Big deal.

Well minister asks can expense something that will save the taxpayer money and works for own personal schedule...what an absolute non-scandal. It Daily Mirror level stuff, and up there with outrage that PM takes private plane to international event.

And I say that as somebody does have that much time for Kemi.
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Er no. As usual your fantasy about my views is completely delusional.
    Did you not like most left wingers complain about the jso sentences....pretty sure you did
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

He's 100% correct.

Misogyny is a feature of almost all religions particularly the more traditional or extreme sects for example US Christians, Catholicism, orthodox Christianity and Judaism. The likelihood is this will have been an unhappy, maladjusted male teen with mental illness just as it is in most school attacks.
    The only reason that there are calls to know his religion is so that those people have an excuse to violently attack innocent people/institutions.
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

The wheels are in motion.

Pulpstar said:

Yorkshire Day tomorrow!
    Every day is Yorkshire Day!
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

For example by arresting and questioning the knife attack suspect?
This discussion has been closed.