Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How Britain voted – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Tomorrow I go to St Peterborough to admire Cathedral. Da.

Back in October 2022, I went to Peterborough to do the Nene Valley Railway.
    Bugger. Outed.
    Mrs C and I hadf a day out in Peterborough. Well, outside it a bit - to see the Flag Fen site. But the cathedral is a surprise, and the borough museum is nice with eg fossils from the local brick claypits. Or it was then: these days, one has to check if the council museum is still open if one goes anywhere.
    The Great Fen Project is quite interesting too.
    https://www.greatfen.org.uk/

Includes the UK's lowest point (in the fields near Holme Fen) and Woodwalton Fen, one of the first nature reserves.

Though Peterborough itself isn't great, cathedral or not.

Ooh, that reminds me of something I learnt about at school - the Posts to show the fen shrinkage.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/holme-fen-posts

I never did get to see them. What with this and @algarkirk 's post I'm thinking it is time to have a trip to Peterborough again. In my younger days I went on a coupe of excursions to the claypits - quite something - not just the fossils but the sheer size and the excavators and conveyor belts. I imagine they are all filled in with London rubbish now.

I've been to the Holme Fen posts a couple of times - I've never taken my son there though, despite often zooming up and down the A1(M) near them. They're quite impressive, in an understated manner.

I think the clay pits have changed a fair bit - there are far fewer chimneys then there used to be.

Oh, and I can also recommend, in a way, a visit to Flag Fen to see the Bronze Age walkway.
    Thanks. They sound like Darwin's earthworm stone in the garden of Down House - one of those things that is as you say understated but deeply meaningful. And we did go to Flag Fen years back (before the fire IIRC) - will need to check the current setup when we are there again.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

I see things are a bit lively in whitehall this evening.

Hopefully it will piss down tomorrow evening and nip any more protests in the bud. Last thing we need is an escalation.
    No we don't need an escalation, we do need for the people to send a message to the government and police that this is unacceptable and the seemingly blasé nature of the PM in dealing with the fallout of the murders and subsequent anger from him against the idiot rioters is only going to make people more angry. His priorities are clear from where they're standing - he's siding with the child murderer because they think the child murderer is an immigrant Muslim (with no evidence, of course).
    Sorry but no, everyone decent should be standing with law and order here.

Which is against the murder, in favour of the Police being given space to do their job, in favour of the law being maintained about protecting the identity of under 18 suspects (see the cutting down every law to get to the devil quote) and against the trouble-makers who are trying to abuse this incident to instil even more violence.
    When the police start upholding the law let us know and we will give them space
    A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

The wheels are in motion.
    Err I wasn't referring to a particular incident just that the police do not uphold the law but tend to make it up as it suits them so no idea what you suspect in custody is meant to reference
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,198
    MaxPB said:

Can someone explain to me why the plod are asking for more time to question the child killer? Why haven't they charged him with murder yet? Why does it feel as though they're dragging this out, there's a dozen eye witnesses and they actually caught him at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon in his hands.

What more do they need to know from questioning him, or is it that if they charge him there's a high chance that a judge may waive anonymity and there's political pressure to drag this out?

Why are you so obsessed with believing there's political pressure in everything, in charging decisions, in BBC coverage...?
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Hopefully it will piss down tomorrow evening and nip any more protests in the bud. Last thing we need is an escalation.
    No we don't need an escalation, we do need for the people to send a message to the government and police that this is unacceptable and the seemingly blasé nature of the PM in dealing with the fallout of the murders and subsequent anger from him against the idiot rioters is only going to make people more angry. His priorities are clear from where they're standing - he's siding with the child murderer because they think the child murderer is an immigrant Muslim (with no evidence, of course).

Which is against the murder, in favour of the Police being given space to do their job, in favour of the law being maintained about protecting the identity of under 18 suspects (see the cutting down every law to get to the devil quote) and against the trouble-makers who are trying to abuse this incident to instil even more violence.
    For example by arresting and questioning the knife attack suspect?
    By arresting woman out walking round a lake and having a takeaway coffee?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Protests are good according to the guardian
    Non violent protesters are good. Throwing bricks at police and places of worship are not.

It really isn't difficult to understand.
    Define non violennt protestors. I suspect your view is people who throws bricks or firebombs at police. I agree that is violent protest. However I also class someone who cuts a poor families income by 20% because they couldn't get to work as violent protest...I suspect you dismiss that as invcovience and non violent
    Er no. As usual your fantasy about my views is completely delusional.
    Did you not like most left wingers complain about the jso sentences....pretty sure you did
    No doubt without reading the Sentencing guidelines from the Judge. Like most people.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    Oh, and Peterborough Lido has a 50-metre outdoor heated pool. A nice place to swim early in the season.

Is it the only Lido that offers a view of a cathedral - from outside, at least?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

Err I wasn't referring to a particular incident just that the police do not uphold the law but tend to make it up as it suits them so no idea what you suspect in custody is meant to reference
    As far as this incident is concerned the Police are absolutely upholding the law.

As far as other things are concerned criticising the Police may be relevant, but not here, not from what we know.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Again, you're missing the point, there's a very large sense building at the moment that the government and police are overseeing a coverup to protect the child killer because of his ethnic background. It's obviously not true but the silence from the police and the government has been deafening and voices from social media or worse are filling that void. You can hope as much as you like for people to be in support of law and order, but the experience of people is that they couldn't rely on law and order to prevent the Rotherham and other child rape gangs and people are seeing parallels between this case and what happened then.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Non violent protesters are good. Throwing bricks at police and places of worship are not.

Define non violennt protestors. I suspect your view is people who throws bricks or firebombs at police. I agree that is violent protest. However I also class someone who cuts a poor families income by 20% because they couldn't get to work as violent protest...I suspect you dismiss that as invcovience and non violent
    Did you not like most left wingers complain about the jso sentences....pretty sure you did
    No I did not, so once again you are wrong.

Indeed I pointed out that it had to be a custodial sentence because they reoffended on non-custodial sentences.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

EXCL: Kemi Badenoch asked officials to pay for holiday flight to United States with taxpayers’ money while in government but was rebuffed by former department’s top civil servant 👇🏼

https://x.com/PippaCrerar/status/1818734191023911185

The Guardian really have a thing about Kemi. It feels a bit like the not the right type of non-white person, so gets even more incoming.

"Badenoch had travelled to Mexico for an official visit to discuss the UK’s bid to join the CPTPP Indo-Pacific trade bloc, of which Mexico was a founding member, as well as bilateral trade with the country. Her business class flight there was covered by her department.

But before travelling, she asked the office of DBT permanent secretary, Gareth Davies, whether the department would pick up the bill for a flight to Dallas, where she was holidaying with her family, as the overall cost was lower than a business class return from Mexico."

Hardly paying for your husband dirty movies on the tax payer or even asking if moat cleaning is included as necessary expense.

When I was in academia, we used to be allowed to do this kind of thing, if you were going to a conference anyway, if it was cheaper or no more money, you could still expense a multi-hop journey.
    Minister asks if she is permitted to expense something.

Minister is told no.

Minister doesn’t expense the thing.

Big deal.

It's what ended Sir Peter Duckhouse's career.

(OK, it was part of a wider hoohah, and he was seen as something of a bed blocker in a plum seat when the expenses scandal broke. But he didn't get the money for the anatine accommodation... he just asked.)
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,384
    Roger said:

OT.....Of nothing in particular: isn't La Marseilaise a wonderful National Anthem? It always reminds me of Casablanca.

Yes. it works both as a "let's get all fired up before the contest" anthem and as a celebratory anthem.
    Unlike "Flower of Scotand" which works for the former but not the latter. Thankfully we rarely hear it in the second case.

Taz said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

No doubt without reading the Sentencing guidelines from the Judge. Like most people.
    They were violent protestors despite it wasn't direct was the point I was trying to make. They took food from the poor by stopping them getting to work
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

DavidL said:
    Thing is, it didn't used to piss everyone off. Enough people were enjoyed it, or were prepared to put up with it, for it to be a viable strategy. Shithousing HRC worked. And it came close to working against Biden.

Something is different now. A lot of that must be Trump's age; the art of spite is to do it with enough elegance that it doesn't get spotted until it's too late. Think Maradona's Hand of God. Trump is now a bit too old, a bit to clunky to get away with it. Plus, he's been doing it for a decade. We have all seen the movie, we know where to look if we want to look. (Plenty don't want to look, of course.)

It helps that Harris seems to have a strong Trump immunity field around her. Must send him potty.

(Something similar happened to Johnson, though that was more an ageing comedian taking his catchphrases out for one tour too many. Whatever his talents in 2019, he isn't the solution to the Conservative's problems now.)
    Faced with a viable opponent it becomes clear just what a poor candidate he is. His ceiling isn't enough to win and his floor will see him lose easily. The election still could be close but I don't think it will be.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Again, you're missing the point, there's a very large sense building at the moment that the government and police are overseeing a coverup to protect the child killer because of his ethnic background. It's obviously not true but the silence from the police and the government has been deafening and voices from social media or worse are filling that void. You can hope as much as you like for people to be in support of law and order, but the experience of people is that they couldn't rely on law and order to prevent the Rotherham and other child rape gangs and people are seeing parallels between this case and what happened then.
    How is there any sense of that building?

What a stinking pile of bovine manure.

The law is the law and the law says not to identify under-18 suspects. Anyone who is claiming cover-up is either thick as pig shit and doesn't grasp the law, or knows it and is being disingenuous.

We have no reason to kowtow to either the thick as pig shit, nor the disingenuous.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

As far as this incident is concerned the Police are absolutely upholding the law.

As far as other things are concerned criticising the Police may be relevant, but not here, not from what we know.
    I hadn't referenced any incident so fuck off
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

kjh said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Kamala Harris seems perfectly nice, very smiley. I can't help but question though why given the opportunity of being VP to a waning President, she has failed to distinguish herself to the point of Biden being the preferred candidate until his deficiencies were so glaring they could no longer be denied.

She’s a totally empty suit, something which will soon become apparent once the sycophancy dies down a little.
    How do you square the circle of your flag waving for Trump and his flag waving for Putin?
    I don't recall Sandpit flag waving for Trump?
    It's possible to be dubious about the merits of a candidate without supporting that candidates opponent. Especially in an election in which you don't have a vote.
    Are there any out and out Trump supporters on PB? I know @HYUFD is at least somewhat supportive, but even the much missed Plato wasn't entirely in his camp.
    Hmmm. My reading of posts is that @HYUFD is not the slightest in his camp. I believe he has said he would vote democrat if in America. I'm sure he will put me right if I have that wrong. Plato on the other hand was hook, line and sinker a Trump fan.
    Completely apologise to @HYUFD if I've misrepresented him.

I don’t think Hyufd is pro-Trump.

What he definitely is, is anti-Harris.

Why, I’m not sure.
    Kamala Harris supported the Duchess of Sussex in the royal racism scandal.
    What form did this support take?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

EXCL: Kemi Badenoch asked officials to pay for holiday flight to United States with taxpayers’ money while in government but was rebuffed by former department’s top civil servant 👇🏼

The Guardian really have a thing about Kemi. It feels a bit like the not the right type of non-white person, so gets even more incoming.

"Badenoch had travelled to Mexico for an official visit to discuss the UK’s bid to join the CPTPP Indo-Pacific trade bloc, of which Mexico was a founding member, as well as bilateral trade with the country. Her business class flight there was covered by her department.

But before travelling, she asked the office of DBT permanent secretary, Gareth Davies, whether the department would pick up the bill for a flight to Dallas, where she was holidaying with her family, as the overall cost was lower than a business class return from Mexico."

Hardly paying for your husband dirty movies on the tax payer or even asking if moat cleaning is included as necessary expense.

When I was in academia, we used to be allowed to do this kind of thing, if you were going to a conference anyway, if it was cheaper or no more money, you could still expense a multi-hop journey.

Minister is told no.

Big deal.

(OK, it was part of a wider hoohah, and he was seen as something of a bed blocker in a plum seat when the expenses scandal broke. But he didn't get the money for the anatine accommodation... he just asked.)
    That's quite different from asking to actually save the taxpayer money. Also, the atmosphere at the time was ridiculous, MPs got accused of stuff where they didn't do things wrong but was a cheap easy headline, where as more complex frauds got little converge as it would have required some proper leg work and all the Telegraph cared about was a scandal a day.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    edited July 31
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Did they really just pull Trump off stage half way through?

It seems so.
    What's happened? Don't see anything on the news and Google just brings up stuff about the shooting weeks ago.
    https://x.com/atrupar/status/1818721449059692702?t=M0O1Xi2SW--Dd9dams6fYA&s=19

He has been tweeting bits of the interview.
    Did Trump make all those crazy remarks on race and gender in an interview conducted by an African American woman?

If so, he's even more doolally than I thought.

No wonder his team were frantic to get him out of there.
    In an interview conducted by an African American woman at a conference of the National Association of Black Journalists.

You couldn't make it up.
    Cookie said:

Roger said:

OT.....Of nothing in particular: isn't La Marseilaise a wonderful National Anthem? It always reminds me of Casablanca.

Best one, I'd say.
    The German for me.
  • AnthonyTAnthonyT Posts: 36
    edited July 31
    Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Steve Rotherham is by some way the least impressive of the metro mayors. (Apart from Khan, obviously.)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/31/liverpool-mayor-southport-suspect-religion-irrelevant/

Mr Rotheram said: “Let’s be absolutely brutal and honest – what are those questions that remain unanswered?

“Well, the name of the individual. That’s because of legal reasons, that person’s 17. The one that social media wants to find out is the religion of that person. So you have to ask yourself the question ‘why would anybody want to know the religion of the perpetrator of this vicious and heinous crime?’

“And it’s to do with exactly what we just talked about earlier, which is to stir up more tension in this community.”

He's 100% correct.
    Religion may be a big factor here, we know Muslim men have got problems with women and infidels etc...

To say it's "irrelevant" isn't the truth. It may be irrelevant, it may not be.
    Misogyny is a feature of almost all religions particularly the more traditional or extreme sects for example US Christians, Catholicism, orthodox Christianity and Judaism. The likelihood is this will have been an unhappy, maladjusted male teen with mental illness just as it is in most school attacks.
    The only reason that there are calls to know his religion is so that those people have an excuse to violently attack innocent people/institutions.
    A look around you will show you that you don't need to be religious to be a misogynist or to be the sort of scumbag male who attacks women.

This appears to be an exclusively male site so maybe it is uncomfortable to admit that men are often a bloody nuisance and very often, whatever creed, colour or none, a menace to those around them, especially women.

Though all credit to the legal consultant next door who waded in to help and has suffered some pretty serious leg injuries. Takes some courage to do that.
    edited July 31
    Unrest being reported in Hartlepool. We could do with some rainy days.
  • CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 465
    I just want to remind that I called growing far right violence and disorder after the GE 7-8 months ago (even the potential for some capitol hill style event) and was laughed at by some members. I think there is a lot more where this came from. This evening near Downing Street.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/southport-stabbing-protests-riot-latest-suspect-police-victim-b2589133.html

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Minister is told no.

Big deal.

Oddly enough I was thinking about him this morning, as I often do, as there is a floating duckhouse in the local pond which Mrs C and I regularly check out on our walks.

(For some reason the resident moorhen family has taken it over and likes to sit on top of its pointed roof, for reasons which we cannot grasp.)
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    AP (via Seattle Times) - Donald Trump falsely questions Kamala Harris’ race as he appears at gathering of Black journalists

Donald Trump falsely suggested Kamala Harris had misled voters about her race as the former president appeared before the National Association of Black Journalists in Chicago Wednesday in an interview that quickly turned hostile.

The Republican former president claimed that Harris, the first Black woman and Asian American to serve as vice president, had in the past only promoted her Indian heritage.

“I didn’t know she was Black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn Black and now she wants to be known as Black. So, I don’t know, is she Indian or is she Black?” Trump said while addressing the group’s annual convention. . . .

Trump’s appearance Wednesday at the annual gathering of Black journalists immediately became heated, with the former president sparring with interviewer Rachel Scott of ABC News and accusing her of giving him a “very rude introduction” with a tough first question about his past criticism of Black people and Black journalists, his attack on Black prosecutors who have pursued cases against him and the dinner he had at his Florida club with a white supremacist.

“I think it’s disgraceful that I came here in good spirit. I love the Black population of this country, I’ve done so much for the Black population of this country,” Trump said. . . .

SSI - Perhaps DJT is a PB lurker? IF so, then suggest he STOP sucking up the bilge pumped on this board . . . and quit spraying it about on the campaign trail like low-grade fertilizer.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems so.
    What's happened? Don't see anything on the news and Google just brings up stuff about the shooting weeks ago.

Did Trump make all those crazy remarks on race and gender in an interview conducted by an African American woman?

In an interview conducted by an African American woman at a conference of the National Association of Black Journalists.

You couldn't make it up.
    And has moved out from 1.7 to 1.77 today on Betfair.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

The context does, so no thanks.
    edited July 31

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Minister is told no.

Big deal.

Well minister asks can expense something that will save the taxpayer money and works for own personal schedule...what an absolute non-scandal. It Daily Mirror level stuff, and up there with outrage that PM takes private plane to international event.

And I say that as somebody does have that much time for Kemi.
    Why would a minister ask a civil servant anything these days? They're meant to help.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    AnthonyT said:

Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

Steve Rotherham is by some way the least impressive of the metro mayors. (Apart from Khan, obviously.)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/31/liverpool-mayor-southport-suspect-religion-irrelevant/

Mr Rotheram said: “Let’s be absolutely brutal and honest – what are those questions that remain unanswered?

“Well, the name of the individual. That’s because of legal reasons, that person’s 17. The one that social media wants to find out is the religion of that person. So you have to ask yourself the question ‘why would anybody want to know the religion of the perpetrator of this vicious and heinous crime?’

“And it’s to do with exactly what we just talked about earlier, which is to stir up more tension in this community.”

He's 100% correct.
    Religion may be a big factor here, we know Muslim men have got problems with women and infidels etc...

Misogyny is a feature of almost all religions particularly the more traditional or extreme sects for example US Christians, Catholicism, orthodox Christianity and Judaism. The likelihood is this will have been an unhappy, maladjusted male teen with mental illness just as it is in most school attacks.
    The only reason that there are calls to know his religion is so that those people have an excuse to violently attack innocent people/institutions.
    A look around you will show you that you don't need to be religious to be a misogynist or to be the sort of scumbag male who attacks women.

This appears to be an exclusively male site so maybe it is uncomfortable to admit that men are a bloody nuisance and very often, whatever creed, colour or none, a menace to those around them, especially women.
    Yes, it simply is not understanding the problem to protest an extreme example of toxic masculinity by demonstrating toxic masculinity.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

No because I didn't mention southport nor did I day police always get it wrong so just fuck off

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Minister is told no.

Big deal.

Well minister asks can expense something that will save the taxpayer money and works for own personal schedule...what an absolute non-scandal. It Daily Mirror level stuff, and up there with outrage that PM takes private plane to international event.

Why would a minister ask a civil servant anything these days? They're meant to help.
    That *is* helping.
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

He's 100% correct.

Don't be a racist twat.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

No because I didn't mention southport nor did I day police always get it wrong so just fuck off
    You don't need to mention Southport when its the topic of conversation and we were talking about it before you even replied.

I said (about Southport, in response to Max): Sorry but no, everyone decent should be standing with law and order here.

You responded: When the police start upholding the law let us know and we will give them space

So I responded again: A suspect is in custody.

If you weren't aware the conversation was about Southport (and how could you not?) then that was your ignorance not mine. So I will take your suggestion under advisement but I kindly decline your invitation to fuck off.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

You don't need to mention Southport when its the topic of conversation and we were talking about it before you even replied.

I said (about Southport, in response to Max): Sorry but no, everyone decent should be standing with law and order here.

You responded: When the police start upholding the law let us know and we will give them space

If you weren't aware the conversation was about Southport (and how could you not?) then that was your ignorance not mine. So I will take your suggestion under advisement but I kindly decline your invitation to fuck off.
    It was a general observation not about southport, I have no idea what went on in southport nor do I care
    Chris said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems so.

You couldn't make it up.
    And has moved out from 1.7 to 1.77 today on Betfair.
    Slip sliding away ...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:
    Thing is, it didn't used to piss everyone off. Enough people were enjoyed it, or were prepared to put up with it, for it to be a viable strategy. Shithousing HRC worked. And it came close to working against Biden.

Something is different now. A lot of that must be Trump's age; the art of spite is to do it with enough elegance that it doesn't get spotted until it's too late. Think Maradona's Hand of God. Trump is now a bit too old, a bit to clunky to get away with it. Plus, he's been doing it for a decade. We have all seen the movie, we know where to look if we want to look. (Plenty don't want to look, of course.)

It helps that Harris seems to have a strong Trump immunity field around her. Must send him potty.

(Something similar happened to Johnson, though that was more an ageing comedian taking his catchphrases out for one tour too many. Whatever his talents in 2019, he isn't the solution to the Conservative's problems now.)
    Faced with a viable opponent it becomes clear just what a poor candidate he is. His ceiling isn't enough to win and his floor will see him lose easily. The election still could be close but I don't think it will be.
    From TwiX

He will struggle to win a Donald Trump lookalike contest now...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Seems like the only debate was a terrible one to win.
    A clear victory for Trump that ultimately signalled his defeat?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

For example by arresting and questioning the knife attack suspect?
    By arresting woman out walking round a lake and having a takeaway coffee?
    "Drinking black coffee is an arrestable offence" - Chief Superintendent Savage, OBE, ACPOO, DipSHit.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

It was a general observation not about southport, I have no idea what went on in southport nor do I care
    You must be the only person in the entire country let alone the entire site to have no idea what went on in Southport, nor care.

A claim that has all the credibility of my daughter, face smeared in chocolate, denying she knows where the chocolate has gone and saying she never touched it.
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Minister is told no.

Big deal.

That *is* helping.
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Minister is told no.

Big deal.

That *is* helping.
    Making the conversation public to torpedo her leadership campaign is helping, OK. Stop defending the indefensible.

AP (via Seattle Times) - Donald Trump falsely questions Kamala Harris’ race as he appears at gathering of Black journalists

Donald Trump falsely suggested Kamala Harris had misled voters about her race as the former president appeared before the National Association of Black Journalists in Chicago Wednesday in an interview that quickly turned hostile.

The Republican former president claimed that Harris, the first Black woman and Asian American to serve as vice president, had in the past only promoted her Indian heritage.

“I didn’t know she was Black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn Black and now she wants to be known as Black. So, I don’t know, is she Indian or is she Black?” Trump said while addressing the group’s annual convention. . . .

Trump’s appearance Wednesday at the annual gathering of Black journalists immediately became heated, with the former president sparring with interviewer Rachel Scott of ABC News and accusing her of giving him a “very rude introduction” with a tough first question about his past criticism of Black people and Black journalists, his attack on Black prosecutors who have pursued cases against him and the dinner he had at his Florida club with a white supremacist.

“I think it’s disgraceful that I came here in good spirit. I love the Black population of this country, I’ve done so much for the Black population of this country,” Trump said. . . .

SSI - Perhaps DJT is a PB lurker? IF so, then suggest he STOP sucking up the bilge pumped on this board . . . and quit spraying it about on the campaign trail like low-grade fertilizer.

To be fair, I don't think DJT needs any help in comping up with stupid shit to spray around.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

The law is the law and the law says not to identify under-18 suspects. Anyone who is claiming cover-up is either thick as pig shit and doesn't grasp the law, or knows it and is being disingenuous.

We have no reason to kowtow to either the thick as pig shit, nor the disingenuous.
    And yet the protests and riots about this are expected to get worse over the next few days.

The police fucked up when they ruled out terrorism so quickly, I actually think that's what's kicked this all off.

This is the situation so far - a mass stabbing with three murdered children, a perpetrator caught red handed at the scene with the murder weapon, no details of ethnicity released about said perpetrator by the police and within a few hours terrorism is ruled out but no other motive is given, specifically "we don't have any clue other than to say it's definitely not terrorism" alongside unverified witness reports that he was black or had dark skin colour.

I'm not saying it's a coverup, I can see why people might start to think it is. If the police haven't got any inkling of motive then how can they rule out terrorism, what was with the whole "he's born in Cardiff" stuff all about followed by "to Rwandan parents" in tiny small print.

You can't deny that the communication has been bungled by the police and I would say the politicians. Above all else there's three dead young girls and people are out for blood. It's the first crime we've had like this since probably Dunblane and so far no one is coming out of it very well.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

And yet the protests and riots about this are expected to get worse over the next few days.

The police fucked up when they ruled out terrorism so quickly, I actually think that's what's kicked this all off.

This is the situation so far - a mass stabbing with three murdered children, a perpetrator caught red handed at the scene with the murder weapon, no details of ethnicity released about said perpetrator by the police and within a few hours terrorism is ruled out but no other motive is given, specifically "we don't have any clue other than to say it's definitely not terrorism" alongside unverified witness reports that he was black or had dark skin colour.

I'm not saying it's a coverup, I can see why people might start to think it is. If the police haven't got any inkling of motive then how can they rule out terrorism, what was with the whole "he's born in Cardiff" stuff all about followed by "to Rwandan parents" in tiny small print.

You can't deny that the communication has been bungled by the police and I would say the politicians. Above all else there's three dead young girls and people are out for blood. It's the first crime we've had like this since probably Dunblane and so far no one is coming out of it very well.
    We're probably moving into a new context where the kind of seemingly random violence we see can't easily be categorised as terrorism or not. Our procedures are still stuck in a post-9/11 frame that feels out of date.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 31
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A random twitter thread I found. We have a Falls /Shankhill level greviance building up. A large number of people think the the government and its agencies regard them as second class and oppress them, favouring other groups. This is very very dangerous and the powers that be just don't get it (Ive redacted some of the spicier language):

Original: I cannot f*** well believe what I have just seen. Yvette Cooper is appalled at the behaviour of people in Southport, she is going to ensure that are dealt with by the strength of the law. She wasn't so fucking angry when their children were being stabbed, maimed & killed

Responder 1: And she's said nothing about a group of immigrants running around with machetes in Southend

Responder 2: She wasn’t this angry about the rioting in Leeds or Rochdale, she threw police officers under the bus.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Minister is told no.

Big deal.

I suspect stories like this are revealing of character - suggestive of someone a bit less motivated by public service and a bit more on an ego trip.

The whole using spads as glorified pas picking up lunch and doing Christmas shopping isn't disqualifying but it's not a good look.

But hey - Tories can pick who they like!

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

You must be the only person in the entire country let alone the entire site to have no idea what went on in Southport, nor care.

A claim that has all the credibility of my daughter, face smeared in chocolate, denying she knows where the chocolate has gone and saying she never touched it.
    #justiceforbartsdaughter #circumstantialevidence
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    Whoever invited Trump to the NABJ event was smart. They got a lot of criticism for inviting him but Trump has made an absolute arse of himself.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Am standing at the top of Whitehall where roughly four dozen Faragists are making dicks of themselves. One of a group of about 10 tried to stare me down on the Tube earlier. They clearly have a problem with seals too.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Oh, and Peterborough Lido has a 50-metre outdoor heated pool. A nice place to swim early in the season.

Wait, there's a lido that offers the view of the inside of a cathedral?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,007
    edited July 31
    AnthonyT said:

Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

He's 100% correct.

This appears to be an exclusively male site so maybe it is uncomfortable to admit that men are often a bloody nuisance and very often, whatever creed, colour or none, a menace to those around them, especially women.
    If I say that the killer of young girls was a man (or boy) and this shows the problem with men, people would reasonably object to being grouped with such an individual and call it misandry.

Yet some of the same people are demanding to know if said man was also Muslim or some other group that they dislike, to see if it helps to prove some point about Muslims. To them, if it ends up being a Muslim, that would prove them right and show Muslims to be a problem. It's relevant in a way the suspect's male sex is not.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    glw said:

Whoever invited Trump to the NABJ event was smart.

And whoever agreed to it is now looking for work...
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

That includes nitwits insinuating hypotheses on the grounds that lots of Them are like That.

Even if you turn out to be right, saying it now just adds to the heat. Is it too much to hold your horses?
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Yes there are protests and riots, but there is an element of criminal scum in this country who will take any excuse to protest and riot. Because they're criminal scum, not because their protest is justified.

It is against the law at this stage for the Police to identify the suspect. They've not bungled anything, if you want the law changing then advocate for that but I for one want the Police to actual follow the damned law and object when they don't!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    DougSeal said:

They clearly have a problem with seals too.

Only black ones the white babies are fine

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

We're probably moving into a new context where the kind of seemingly random violence we see can't easily be categorised as terrorism or not. Our procedures are still stuck in a post-9/11 frame that feels out of date.
    Yes I agree with this, right now this still feels like some Andrew Tate inspired act, at least to me. I would class it as terrorism just not the type that we've seen before. I also think that we need to target and prosecute the like of Andrew Tate in the same way we do as Anjem Choudhury Abu Hamza. If the perpetrator has been watching these videos on YT that incite violence against women then the creators of those videos should be treated as accessories to murder.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

No, the problem is racists like you pushing lies, and thugs like the EDL wanting a brawl because it's hot.
    glw said:

Whoever invited Trump to the NABJ event was smart. They got a lot of criticism for inviting him but Trump has made an absolute arse of himself.

Next up (or down) on the campaign trail - JD Vance addresses annual convention of American Cat Protection Society.
    DougSeal said:

Am standing at the top of Whitehall where roughly four dozen Faragists are making dicks of themselves. One of a group of about 10 tried to stare me down on the Tube earlier. They clearly have a problem with seals too.

Care to elaborate? For instance, why the stare down attempt?

Wait, there's a lido that offers the view of the inside of a cathedral?
    Not quite a cathedral, but https://www.timeout.com/london/news/the-converted-church-thats-now-londons-most-spellbinding-swimming-pool-100121
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    In other news tomorrow is likely to see some of the most spectacular thunderstorm activity for a long time in the South East and Midlands. Expect lots of thunder and lightning, prolonged torrential rain and flash flooding.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A point for the pig shit / disingenuous, if he is of Rwandan descent then, given Rwanda is 90%+ Christian, Why aren't you all out attacking churches?

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

No, the problem is racists like you pushing lies, and thugs like the EDL wanting a brawl because it's hot.
    Please find a single point where I've lied or been racist? Retract both of those.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    DougSeal said:

Barking ?

DougSeal said:

Hot day, tube, accidentally standing in the middle of some Stone Island cocks while wearing glasses and a sports jacket. Clearly not from London as they had no idea where they were and everyone knows you don’t even try and make eye contact on the Underground. My misfortune that the Circle/District was down and I had to take a roundabout route from Blackfriars via Farringdon and the Lizzie line to Green Park. They were heading for Westminster on the Jubilee when I had the pleasure.

Arresting anyone wearing Stone Island on sight would prevent 90% of public order offences in this country.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    Scott_xP said:

glw said:

Whoever invited Trump to the NABJ event was smart.

And whoever agreed to it is now looking for work...
    It's a bit like Tucker Carlson interviewing Putin, a lot of people were justly worried about Putin getting a platform for his propaganda, but Putin came across as a total fruitcake, so it probably did him more harm than good. The same with Trump today.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Yes I agree with this, right now this still feels like some Andrew Tate inspired act, at least to me. I would class it as terrorism just not the type that we've seen before. I also think that we need to target and prosecute the like of Andrew Tate in the same way we do as Anjem Choudhury Abu Hamza. If the perpetrator has been watching these videos on YT that incite violence against women then the creators of those videos should be treated as accessories to murder.
    We already have categories for this sort of act - it seems to be a hate crime. There is terrorism - that to me generally implies a group of people and a conspiracy beyond a lone individual, a political aim of some sort, an aim to cause fear in the general public. We have crimes of passion, i.e. people killing in a moment of anger. Premeditated gang murders. Murders that are the result of an aggravated property crime e.g. shooting someone during a robbery. And murders of strangers driven by hate or insanity, like school shootings.

This seems like a school shooting style attack. Unfortunately they tend to spawn copycats. At least our youngsters don't have easy access to firearms.
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Hot day, tube, accidentally standing in the middle of some Stone Island cocks while wearing glasses and a sports jacket. Clearly not from London as they had no idea where they were and everyone knows you don’t even try and make eye contact on the Underground. My misfortune that the Circle/District was down and I had to take a roundabout route from Blackfriars via Farringdon and the Lizzie line to Green Park. They were heading for Westminster on the Jubilee when I had the pleasure.

Arresting anyone wearing Stone Island on sight would prevent 90% of public order offences in this country.
    Starmer might be in a spot of trouble...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

glw said:

Next up (or down) on the campaign trail - JD Vance addresses annual convention of American Cat Protection Society.
    Well, Trump would not get an invite to that given his penchant for grabbing pussies.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Starmer might be in a spot of trouble...
    He’s been warned
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

It just gets very boring hearing "racist" get trotted out so much. Particularly in the absence of any othet argument. And particularly of MaxPB. He's been here about 20 years and I've never heard him say anything I would term racist. I strongly suspect you know almost nothing about him.
    NEW: For the first time, Kamala Harris has pulled into the electoral vote lead based on swing state polling, according to the latest Morning Consult survey.

🔵 Harris 284
    🔴 Trump 254
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 31
    Riot police in attendance at a hotel housing illegal migrants in Manchester after "demonstations" by Football Fan types broke out.

Also similar in Hartlepool
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

See Prevent statistics - we do go after all kinds of would be terrorists.

The “it’s all about persecuting Muslims” tends to be a talking point… of the kind of people who would get reported under Prevent.
    Donald Trump to the National Association of Black Journalists: “A lot of the journalists in this room are black. I will tell you that coming from the border are millions and millions of people that happen to be taking black jobs.

Q. “What’s exactly is a black job, sir?"

Trump: "A black job is anybody that has a job! That's what it is.”
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689

Riot police in attendance at a hotel housing illegal migrants in Manchester after "demonstations" by Football Fan types broke out.

It comes back to your point yesterday about the UK becoming increasingly sectarian. For the benefit of the doubt, as some were throwing around accusations of racism after the last thread, I a) don't think this is a good thing and b) don't support the "football fan types" who are going round causing bother, either.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    DougSeal said:

It's the smell of raw fish, isn't it?
    Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A point for the pig shit / disingenuous, if he is of Rwandan descent then, given Rwanda is 90%+ Christian, Why aren't you all out attacking churches?
    And a further point, he was British (Welsh) born. So all the crap about immigration and asylum is nothing more than misplaced opportunism. The only defining feature that the EDL types are fixed on is that he had black skin. That for them is enough. It shouldn't be enough for the supposedly intelligent people on here.

Thankfully PB and a few outer reaches of social media seem to be the only places where this story is being picked apart politically. Everyone else is watching the Olympics. (nb France is now top of the medal table thanks to Leon).
    Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Rwanda you say? Have they not provided a recent example of inter-ethnic violence that isn’t religiously inspired?
    kyf_100 said:

It comes back to your point yesterday about the UK becoming increasingly sectarian. For the benefit of the doubt, as some were throwing around accusations of racism after the last thread, I a) don't think this is a good thing and b) don't support the "football fan types" who are going round causing bother, either.
    It's not though. Only in the hyper-real world of social media, where everything constantly gets amplified, commonly by accounts based a couple of thousand miles East of here.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,869
    kjh said:

Good to see Britain doing so well in the medal count at the Olympics. (In general democratic nations seem to be doing quite well there, so far.)

We used to get 5 or less golds regularly (1 in Atlanta) but in the last few Olympics we have been in the twenties (high twenties in 2 of them). I assume there are more available, but that wouldn't account for the big jump and in the last 4 Olympics we have been ranked 4th or better whereas before that 10th was a good result. We are clearly doing something right across a number of sports.
    What we really need is for Petanque to have been an Olympic sport, and a Brit to have won the Gold.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Perhaps they have been reading up on this:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_fallacy
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Please find a single point where I've lied or been racist? Retract both of those.
    "Religion may be a big factor here, we know Muslim men have got problems with women and infidels etc..." in https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4916023/#Comment_4916023 is clear racism.

"His [Starmer's] priorities are clear from where they're standing - he's siding with the child murderer because they think the child murderer is an immigrant Muslim" in
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4916026/#Comment_4916026 is rabble-rousing nonsense, so I'm calling it a lie. Your multiple earlier claims of political pressure on police action or on reporting also exist. I can't be bothered to sift through it all.

Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Rwanda you say? Have they not provided a recent example of inter-ethnic violence that isn’t religiously inspired?
    That sort of comment is below PB.
    If a British 17 year old with Serbian parents committed this, you'd be suggesting it was somehow linked to Srebrenica? Or if a child of Cambodian parents did it there would be some sort of Pol Pot connection?

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

Well dont have a tv and rarely follow news
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

It just gets very boring hearing "racist" get trotted out so much. Particularly in the absence of any othet argument. And particularly of MaxPB. He's been here about 20 years and I've never heard him say anything I would term racist. I strongly suspect you know almost nothing about him.
    I know he said, "Religion may be a big factor here, we know Muslim men have got problems with women and infidels etc..." He made a sweeping, negative statement about a large group of people. What do you want to call that?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

It's not though. Only in the hyper-real world of social media, where everything constantly gets amplified, commonly by accounts based a couple of thousand miles East of here.
    PB is resolutely middle class and misses out on a lot of what the hoi polloi are saying. My ex, god love her, was resolutely working class and I follow many of her friends on socials. It is a window into a different world. People are *hopping mad* about this at the minute. I've never seen 'that type' of voter so angry.
    So in the slow pool where no World Records have been broken

Swimmer from China just breaks the 100m Freestyle World Record by 0.4s

Wins by a body length in the blue ribband sprint event

Incredible swim

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

A suspect is in custody.

So they've started.

Well dont have a tv and rarely follow news
    Show me any post I made about southport....hint I didn't. You assuming that is the context is you assuming and you are the first three letters of assuming
    Politico.com - Harris is only candidate to qualify for DNC roll call
    Convention delegates will begin voting on Harris’ nomination Thursday.

Kamala Harris will be the only candidate on the Democratic National Committee’s virtual roll call ballot for president, cementing her status as the party’s all-but-certain nominee.

Convention delegates will begin voting on Harris’ nomination on Thursday and finish by Aug. 5, according to a statement released by the DNC Tuesday night. The vice president secured support from 3,923 delegates to appear on the virtual ballot. . . .

Three other candidates filed with the DNC, but they failed to collect 300 delegate signatures necessary to gain access to the virtual ballot. . . .

Automatic delegates — traditionally referred to as superdelegates — will vote on the first ballot, since Harris “has the verified support of a number of pledged delegates equal to or greater than a majority of all pledged and automatic delegates,” the statement said. . . .
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,869

Tomorrow I go to St Peterborough to admire Cathedral. Da.

Back in October 2022, I went to Peterborough to do the Nene Valley Railway.
    Peterborough has a valley?
    Without a valley it would be the Nene Lake?

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

I know he said, "Religion may be a big factor here, we know Muslim men have got problems with women and infidels etc..." He made a sweeping, negative statement about a large group of people. What do you want to call that?
    Racist comment that
    TimS said:

Dopermean said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

That sort of comment is below PB.
    If a British 17 year old with Serbian parents committed this, you'd be suggesting it was somehow linked to Srebrenica? Or if a child of Cambodian parents did it there would be some sort of Pol Pot connection?
    No, that’s not what I’m saying. The point is that religion isn’t the only faultline that can lead to conflict or motivate violence.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

This one for a start you utter shit stirring knob -

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4916026/#Comment_4916026

Having seen your type shaming our country by terrorising some perfectly innocent tourists in Westminster tonight I am in no mood to tolerate your reprehensible disingenuousness on here.

• stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    I've just added to my Kamala for POTUS position by backing her at 2.4. THe polls have the race neck and neck and with her VP pick still to come and the Dem convention too, she ought to be able to build further on her "Big Mo". I'm hoping she gets to betting parity with Trump soon and then I might lay back some of my position. Trump does seem to making a lot of unforced errors that may play to his base but not to swing voters.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

So in the slow pool where no World Records have been broken

Swimmer from China just breaks the 100m Freestyle World Record by 0.4s

Wins by a body length in the blue ribband sprint event

Incredible swim

Yep, 19 years old. Amazing. Over shadowed by Marchand of course but the 100m freestyle is the blue riband.

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Racist comment that
    Technically not as muslims are not a race
    The first point is a known issue, it's been researched to death and we also have plenty of evidence in this country, I suggest you read Professor Alexis Jay's report on the Rotherham atrocities perpetrated exclusively by Muslim men from Pakistan and Afghanistan. Motivations included placing a lesser value on women and non-Muslims so they didn't believe it was truly immoral to be doing what they were doing.

On the second point, where does it say I support that view?! Or are you one of those deluded people that thinks something written in PB commenta BTL is actually consequential, I'm not pushing anything or any agenda, just trying to write out what I understand to be the motivations behind the rioting and protesting which might help people to put into context why I think "full force of the law" is the wrong approach to take with these idiots.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    on Cooper
    @joncoopertweets
    MUST WATCH: This clip shows what was probably Trump’s single most unhinged, outrageous, rude and openly racist exchange with a reporter at the National Association of Black Journalists conference. 👀

https://x.com/joncoopertweets/status/1818726509697175936

===

Be bloody ironic if social media does for him in the end.

This discussion has been closed.