Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How Britain voted – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Blimey.

NC is a state Trump won in 2020

FLASH: The Donald Trump campaign is placing new TV ad spending in NORTH CAROLINA. Start date is tomorrow, 8/1

This follows the Kamala Harris campaign going up on TV there starting today

https://x.com/guycecil/status/1818680012674916368

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0b7GKNrxZ4&ab_channel=HenryvKeiper
    How much money do the Republicans have to spend at this moment?

If Trump's having to shore up his flank then that leaves less for the swing states and the downballot races.
    I don't think that the money really matters that much other than the comfort that it gives.

What really matters is the reality/intent/message (all mixed up). Trump has always been show rather than substance. That works if the show can successfully distract everyone. Harris messes up the entire show, and all of a sudden we see the real Donald Trump. The Republicans aren't stupid, and that's why they will panic.
    If they are not stupid they are certainly masters of disguise.
  • Tomorrow I go to St Peterborough to admire Cathedral. Da.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

Tomorrow I go to St Peterborough to admire Cathedral. Da.

Have you got your Novichok?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica
    NEW: Economist/YouGov Poll, July 27-30

% of registered voters who plan to vote for...
    Harris: 46%
    Trump: 44%

July 21-23 poll:
    Harris: 41%

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_5LIBPv8.pdf#page=8"

https://x.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1818636275345150185

Provided she doesn't mess up the VP pick, she's going to win I think.
    Kamala Harris: Basil II

Donald Trump: Samuel of Bulgaria

2024 election = The Battle of Kleidion

(I fucking hope, I am still scarred by 2016.)
    Harris: Admiral Nelson

Trump: François-Paul Brueys d'Aigalliers

Election = Battle of the Nile

(Joe Biden: Earl St Vincent)
    Harris - Henry, Earl of Richmond
    Trump - Richard III
    Joe Biden - Margaret Beaufort
    Scenario - Bosworth Field.
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Trump - Khan Noonien Singh

Scenario - Battle of the Mutara Nebula
    DAMMIT I WAS WORKING ON THAT ONE! :)
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

eek said:

Labour hit the sleaze path early

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnd064lx50lo

TBF, I think that is the most minor of minor ruling breaking. She has other houses rented out between her and her husband that are registered.
    Cut the Field Marshal some slack. It is only three weeks in and he is still grieving.
    Since I didnt vote for the last govt there;s nothing to grieve about only the depressing certainty that Reeves is going to fk things up.
    Given what she has inherited - not completely fk things up will take a miracle worker...

Note the differences in opinion here - I know it's Hunt's fked up NI cuts that have created a lot of the problems, you are pretending that those tax cuts were not a desperate attempt to win some votes.
    Oh you added a bit

Reeves is simply spinless. I could respect her is she wantd to increase public pay and came clean about it. Instead she us hiding behind others to avoid the heat. Coward.

And it's not as if people cant see through it. Now she's fked up even more by dragging the OBR in to things. If the OBR is meant to be non political , it now ii is now firmly in the political arena, And she has jusr painted herself in to a corner. as it owns her. That's not what a CoE should be doing.

And then of course there's the general loss of credibility as she backtracks on previous promises, changes policy and bribes her mates. Pre election you had a go at me for say she should cut spending and you told me there was no room for cuts. What would you say about the £1.5bn cut to pensioners heating ?

Clearly there is room and there will be more cuts to come. But instead of building infrastructure of or cutting the deficit, she'll simply spend on rubbish and we'll be no better off.
    To be as fair as I want to be, you're right and wrong.

I've no issue with the implementation of a pay review from an independent body. - Sunak did the same in July 2023 when implementing 5-7% pay increases for Police, NHS staff, the armed forces, teachers and others. While that was closer to the ambient inflation at the time, the 2024/25 award recognises a degree of "catch up" from the 2010s and the truth some elements of inflation remain "sticky". I hope local Government staff also receive a fair deal this year - they almost certainly won't.

That said, the £22 billion "black hole" stunt has been poor and clumsy politics by Reeves - it's Opposition tactics, not Government strategy and has left her weakened. I assume the line is to get the pain in early and simply saying no to certain tax rises wasn't good politics in the campaign either. For what little it's worth Hunt was equally disingenuous on tax and spending. He may think he's left the economy in good shape but too many important cans were kicked down the road in the final 18 months.

Where I disagree is the pensioners' fuel allowance which, AIUI, is being cut only for those pensioners not receiving any other benefit such as pension credit. There was an inherent absurdity about wealthy pensioners (they do exist) getting this £250 (which they didn't need). In truth, I'd prefer to have seen higher payments go to those in genuine need (£250 doesn't go that far in heating costs). The problem about any means tested system is a) the bureaucracy which is costly to set up and administer and b) the bureaucracy which deters people from claiming. Giving it to everyone is cheaper and simpler but you could say it of almost every other benefit.
    wealthy pensioners dont need the money, it was a Gordon Brown bribe to win votes. There are lots more things like it - free prescriptions ? But pre-election my usual PB lefties were all saying it was impossible to make savings and spend less. Apparently savings can be made.

It's just a shame that having made the uncomfortable choice it will get wasted in 1970s inflation re-run.
    The problem is that the ‘wealthy’ pensioners are a much smaller proportion of the population than this forum, and media in general, might think. They’re mostly retired workers from the public sector, and those public companies privatised from the 1980s, who are on final-salary index-linked pensions. It’s perhaps 10% of pensioners.
    27% of pensioners are millionaires apparently.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Back in October 2022, I went to Peterborough to do the Nene Valley Railway.
  • Tomorrow I go to St Peterborough to admire Cathedral. Da.

Bugger. Outed.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    edited July 31

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

eek said:

TBF, I think that is the most minor of minor ruling breaking. She has other houses rented out between her and her husband that are registered.
    Cut the Field Marshal some slack. It is only three weeks in and he is still grieving.
    Since I didnt vote for the last govt there;s nothing to grieve about only the depressing certainty that Reeves is going to fk things up.
    Given what she has inherited - not completely fk things up will take a miracle worker...

Note the differences in opinion here - I know it's Hunt's fked up NI cuts that have created a lot of the problems, you are pretending that those tax cuts were not a desperate attempt to win some votes.
    Oh you added a bit

Reeves is simply spinless. I could respect her is she wantd to increase public pay and came clean about it. Instead she us hiding behind others to avoid the heat. Coward.

And it's not as if people cant see through it. Now she's fked up even more by dragging the OBR in to things. If the OBR is meant to be non political , it now ii is now firmly in the political arena, And she has jusr painted herself in to a corner. as it owns her. That's not what a CoE should be doing.

And then of course there's the general loss of credibility as she backtracks on previous promises, changes policy and bribes her mates. Pre election you had a go at me for say she should cut spending and you told me there was no room for cuts. What would you say about the £1.5bn cut to pensioners heating ?

Clearly there is room and there will be more cuts to come. But instead of building infrastructure of or cutting the deficit, she'll simply spend on rubbish and we'll be no better off.

I've no issue with the implementation of a pay review from an independent body. - Sunak did the same in July 2023 when implementing 5-7% pay increases for Police, NHS staff, the armed forces, teachers and others. While that was closer to the ambient inflation at the time, the 2024/25 award recognises a degree of "catch up" from the 2010s and the truth some elements of inflation remain "sticky". I hope local Government staff also receive a fair deal this year - they almost certainly won't.

That said, the £22 billion "black hole" stunt has been poor and clumsy politics by Reeves - it's Opposition tactics, not Government strategy and has left her weakened. I assume the line is to get the pain in early and simply saying no to certain tax rises wasn't good politics in the campaign either. For what little it's worth Hunt was equally disingenuous on tax and spending. He may think he's left the economy in good shape but too many important cans were kicked down the road in the final 18 months.

Where I disagree is the pensioners' fuel allowance which, AIUI, is being cut only for those pensioners not receiving any other benefit such as pension credit. There was an inherent absurdity about wealthy pensioners (they do exist) getting this £250 (which they didn't need). In truth, I'd prefer to have seen higher payments go to those in genuine need (£250 doesn't go that far in heating costs). The problem about any means tested system is a) the bureaucracy which is costly to set up and administer and b) the bureaucracy which deters people from claiming. Giving it to everyone is cheaper and simpler but you could say it of almost every other benefit.
    wealthy pensioners dont need the money, it was a Gordon Brown bribe to win votes. There are lots more things like it - free prescriptions ? But pre-election my usual PB lefties were all saying it was impossible to make savings and spend less. Apparently savings can be made.

It's just a shame that having made the uncomfortable choice it will get wasted in 1970s inflation re-run.
    The problem is that the ‘wealthy’ pensioners are a much smaller proportion of the population than this forum, and media in general, might think. They’re mostly retired workers from the public sector, and those public companies privatised from the 1980s, who are on final-salary index-linked pensions. It’s perhaps 10% of pensioners.
    27% of pensioners are millionaires apparently.
    Paging Big G!
    Depends how it's calculated of course. I wasn't, the last time I tried to do so..
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_5LIBPv8.pdf#page=8"

Trump - Richard III
    Fearless Forecast - When his time finally comes, Donald J. Trump will be laid to (at least a semblance of) rest, underneath his beloved parking space in the back lot at Mar-a-Lardo (sp).
    Mar-a-Leicester.
    "And thus I clothe my naked villany
    With old odd ends stolen out of holy writ;
    And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Graun feed:

'Republic, the group campaigning against having a hereditary monarch as head of state, has released polling showing that “56% of the public believe MPs should swear allegiance to their constituents and the country, compared to just 11% who want MPs to pledge allegiance to the king”.'

Meanwhile, Republicans in the US believe that what their country really needs is a King...
    Jailhouse Rock?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Nigelb said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Latest IT screwup: Spotify.

Their update today crashes the app if you attempt to use a Bluetooth device as the output. Don’t update it if you haven’t already.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tech/spotify-down-bug-outage-music-app-crash-bluetooth-b1173921.html

Apple Music for the win.
    Or just travel with your personal string quartet.
    I once hired a violin player for a romantic dinner.

It was great for the first minute he played then it became a bit weird and awkward afterwards.
    I was sitting in an outside restaurant in Villefranche with a girl and an American guitar player started playing for us. The guitar player said to my friend 'Do you like Bono?'. 'Yes' she said 'Your bottom is in the exact same place his was last night'. 'Really' she said ' I'll never wipe it again'
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,867

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Good to see Britain doing so well in the medal count at the Olympics. (In general democratic nations seem to be doing quite well there, so far.)

We used to get 5 or less golds regularly (1 in Atlanta) but in the last few Olympics we have been in the twenties (high twenties in 2 of them). I assume there are more available, but that wouldn't account for the big jump and in the last 4 Olympics we have been ranked 4th or better whereas before that 10th was a good result. We are clearly doing something right across a number of sports.
    Lottery funding
    AKA tax on stupidity/benevolence, whichever one prefers.
    I consider the lottery/scratchcards as a tax on poor people.
    Let's ban lawyers from buying them
    No need for a ban, I reckon it is twenty years since I bought one.
    Thats because youre a tight fisted git with no romance in your soul
    ... and numerate.
    Carnyx said:

Graun feed:

'Republic, the group campaigning against having a hereditary monarch as head of state, has released polling showing that “56% of the public believe MPs should swear allegiance to their constituents and the country, compared to just 11% who want MPs to pledge allegiance to the king”.'

As long as the Crown remains in its present form, MPs have to swear to it. That "fount of all justice/power" line isn't just florid poetry, it's real.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677
    Kamala Harris seems perfectly nice, very smiley. I can't help but question though why given the opportunity of being VP to a waning President, she has failed to distinguish herself to the point of Biden being the preferred candidate until his deficiencies were so glaring they could no longer be denied.

Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Are Labour really going to bring in the school fees VAT in January mid way through a school year?

That feels bizarre to me.

They’re attempting to make it retrospective to this September, but can’t get the legislation through in time.

Which I suspect will lead to a well-funded legal challenge.
    Any evidence to back the September claim up?

Because if they were doing that they would have had to do it yesterday and instead all they said January.. (Remember this sort of trick is something I'm very aware of - so the wording yesterday was interesting and carefully created a distinct line)...

Reality is that by implementing it in January and announcing yesterday after the school year and finished it's designed to minimise the number of people able to move schools before September which is probably a relief to both State and Private schools...

Although it does rather mess up people who are already struggling to pay school fees...
    So we’ll get a winter of freezing pensioner headlines followed by a January of taking the little darlings out of school/could state schools be overwhelmed headlines. Plus whatever comes down the line in the budget in October.

I don’t think we’ll be seeing much by way of a Labour honeymoon. That doesn’t mean that the Tories are going to suddenly look amazing (they’re not). But it will be interesting to see what the polls are coming out with early next year.

Not optimal… but then I guess they’re getting these hits out of the way early.
    I LOL at Labour for the private school fees move.

I think Starmer reckons it'll be another foxhunting ban moment. But foxhunting was directly supported by very few people, and this move will affect many, many more people directly. It'll cheer those who hate people who are richer than them; but dismay many more.
    Personally I’m a VAT supremacist, so this is grist to the mill. VAT on everything!
    VAT on everything is a fair argument. But this is VAT on something very specific and targeted, mostly for ideological reasons rather than attempting to raise revenue.

It’s red meat to an activist base who think every private school is just like “Boris Johnson’s Eton”.
    And it may well work out that Boris Johnson Eton comes out ahead on the changes, and it small / special needs schools that are the ones most effected.

If you want an extra £1bn from rich people there are much easier ways to get it.
    Starmer doesn’t give a fuck how much money it raises. It was a high protein plant based meat substitute policy for his base that doesn’t repel centrist dickheads and can't be proved to cost a shitload of cash. He needed his base as hard as a fucking brick to work the GE for him.

It was and is smart politics. All of this wanking off about how much it will raise or cost totally misses the point of it. The lachrymose grief of the bottom half of the bourgeoisie is a splendid by-product, not the prime intent.
    And the children with disrupted education, the good teachers now unemployed and the closed businesses?

All for a spiteful and envious policy that will damage the country overall.

And we've got five years of the crap that 20% of the electorate foisted on us.
    This could be a re-run of the Wilson administration 1974-1979, just with a bigger majority.
    Not really, to have a re-run like that you need a slender majority forcing decisions in a particular direction...
    Well with talk like this, they had better deliver.
    If they don't, it's not entirely impossible to see them losing their majority in five years.

Rayner accuses Badenoch of not understanding why Tories lost election, with housing key factor
    Rayner starts by wishing Badenoch luck with her leadership bid. She says it was Badenoch’s ambition to be leader of the opposition, not hers.

She says she thinks there are a few things Badenoch “has not understood”.

One is that the Tories lost the election. Another is that they left services in a mess, including failing to meet their housing targets.

She says the Conservatives '“are talking to themselves, not the country”...

OTOH, if they do, then it's going to be a very long stint in opposition for Kemi.
    If Labour manage to deliver a Britain in which housing is as affordable as it was for our parents' generation they will deserve a long spell in power. Can't disagree - housing is possibly the biggest issue there is right now.
    They won't.

They could of course but the only way to do that is to effectvely nationalise housebuilding and have local councils or Central Government build hundreds of thousands of houses themselves. It won't happen - even though actually it would be a good idea if it did. People continue to refuse tounderstand that the problem with housebuilding is the housebuilders. When prices stagnate they stop building to ensure the prices start rising again.
    You're almost there Richard at recognising the problem. So close and yet so far away.

We need to break the oligopoly of the housing developers. Which means planning reform.

It doesn't matter how much planning permission is given out, if its given out to an oligopoly who can constrain supply and competitors can't get involved as getting permission for a tiny number of homes is so difficult.

Getting permission is expensive and laborious which only makes sense if you can divide that cost between a large number of homes, so it doesn't cost as much per home, which only the oligopoly of large developers with expertise at playing the planning game can do.

Get rid of planning permission, let anyone build, and the developers would face competition. If they refuse to build, then anyone else can do so instead. One house at a time, without waiting for permission first.
    Sigh. Still droning on about planning when it is a complete red herring. All you are doing is showing your utter ignorance of how the planning system works. Very few planning applications for development get turned down by the planning system. They are simply there to make sure that the houses built are fit for purpose, do not cause harm to others (for example by building on flood plains and then building flood defences which push the problem down stream to flood other existing properties) and that the right measures are taken in advance to protect/record archaeology and natural resources/nature.

Of course those who are in any way involved in the planning system or in local government know this already. It is just the ignorant like you who need it explained to them time and time again and who still won't listen.
    A significant proportion of planning applications for homes (as opposed to renovations) gets rejected as we've discussed before.

Though yes, you're not keen on new housing actually happening and want to compel the construction of public services onto new builds rather than have the entire public pay for public services, so disagreeing with that is a difference of priorities and opinion, not understanding.

Hence your laughable claim last time we spoke that a school has the catchment area of a new build estate.
    Completely wrong. I want lots of new houses built. I am the one who has been proposing new towns/cities in my own county. I can always tell when you feel you are losing the argument. You start lying about other people's views even when they have been perfectly clear for years.

My argument is not about the need for new housing, it is about your idiotic and unsupportable views on the causes of the problems. You have your own very particular antipathy towards planning and so make that the root of all evil even when you don't have the first idea how it works or what it does.
    Not lying, when we first debated planning you were mortified at the idea of more houses being built near you, though you've segued into recognising the need for more housing but elsewhere and oh planning doesn't restrict it but lets not change it anyway ...
    Thats an outright lie. Par for the course from you I'm afraid these days.
    Not remotely a lie.

Claiming you want hundreds of thousands of new homes built in other/new towns is not the same as having them in your town. Are you saying that if a hundred thousand families all wanted to build a new home in your town that:

(a) you would have no objection to that?
    (b) the planning system would present no barriers to that?
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Their update today crashes the app if you attempt to use a Bluetooth device as the output. Don’t update it if you haven’t already.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tech/spotify-down-bug-outage-music-app-crash-bluetooth-b1173921.html

Apple Music for the win.

It was great for the first minute he played then it became a bit weird and awkward afterwards.
    I was sitting in an outside restaurant in Villefranche with a girl and an American guitar player started playing for us. The guitar player said to my friend 'Do you like Bono?'. 'Yes' she said 'Your bottom is in the exact same place his was last night'. 'Really' she said ' I'll never wipe it again'
    Hers or Bono's?

Peterborough has a valley?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Kamala Harris seems perfectly nice, very smiley. I can't help but question though why given the opportunity of being VP to a waning President, she has failed to distinguish herself to the point of Biden being the preferred candidate until his deficiencies were so glaring they could no longer be denied.

Some of the answer is undoubtedly that a VP can't go about outshining the President. Personally I think it's most, if not all of the answer.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,520

Muesli said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Biden - Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi

Harris - Leia Amidala

Trump - Wilhuff Tarkin

Buttigieg - C3P0

Vance - that thing in the refuse compactor

Scenario - escaping Trump Towers the Death Star
    "Vance - that thing in the refuse compactor"

Genuine lol...
    Same.
    edited July 31
    Omnium said:

Some of the answer is undoubtedly that a VP can't go about outshining the President. Personally I think it's most, if not all of the answer.
    Yes, perhaps.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,761
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Graun feed:

So? The King is head of state, we have no written constitution, our constitution is based on the sovereignty of Crown in Parliament and the public give their verdict on MPs at election time they don't need an Oath to them from their MP as well!
    So Parliament is sovereign, but should be subject to the consent of the people.
    The King is little more than a constitutional ornament.

Omnium said:

Yes, perhaps.
    With some more equivocation we might nail this down as a political fact.
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson
    I’m delighted to share the cover for UNLEASHED and I’m looking forward to sharing the book with you when it is published this October.
    Pre-order here: https://lnkfi.re/lAxuCn
    https://x.com/BorisJohnson/status/1818610843140907318

When was Johnson ever “leashed”? It wasn’t fucking short enough if he was.
    Unfixed, then.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Fearless Forecast - When his time finally comes, Donald J. Trump will be laid to (at least a semblance of) rest, underneath his beloved parking space in the back lot at Mar-a-Lardo (sp).
    Will he be stripped naked so we can all see his - mushroom - and then stabbed in the arse by a passing Dem activist?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Thriller in Manilla: After 7 rounds of rope-a-dope with Joe Biden, the Dems pull the switch and Harris/Ali comes out swinging for the 8th. Trump/Foreman is caught on the hop and ends up flat on the canvas. Cue bedlam.
    I have sometimes idly wondered what Trump will do if he loses in November. Especially if, as usual, he loses the popular vote AND the Electoral College.
    In my wilder moments I imagine a gracious concession and a bowing out of politics in order to devote his remaining years to philanthropy.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Will he be stripped naked so we can all see his - mushroom - and then stabbed in the arse by a passing Dem activist?
    I don't know what this is a reference to but it's quite revolting and we can do better.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

She’s a totally empty suit, something which will soon become apparent once the sycophancy dies down a little.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Bugger. Outed.
    Mrs C and I hadf a day out in Peterborough. Well, outside it a bit - to see the Flag Fen site. But the cathedral is a surprise, and the borough museum is nice with eg fossils from the local brick claypits. Or it was then: these days, one has to check if the council museum is still open if one goes anywhere.

Just throwing this out there but she may be loyal? There are worse faults.
    Sandpit said:

She’s a totally empty suit, something which will soon become apparent once the sycophancy dies down a little.
    Are you long Trump, then ?

Status of the Trump-Vance campaign right now
    https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1818376588230074783
    edited July 31

Muesli said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Harris - Leia Amidala

Trump - Wilhuff Tarkin

Buttigieg - C3P0

Genuine lol...
    Same.
    Same.

The only thing that is wrong with that analogy is Wilhuff Tarkin for Trump.

I've got a grudging respect for Tarkin, who had an evil but ruthless efficiency and went down with the Death Star.

Trump is more Jabba the Hutt.
  • Muesli said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Harris - Leia Amidala

Trump - Wilhuff Tarkin

Buttigieg - C3P0

Genuine lol...
    Same.
    Same.

I've got a grudging respect for Tarkin, who had an evil but ruthless efficiency and went down with the Death Star.

I thought that was Ariel Sharon

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    I don't know what this is a reference to but it's quite revolting and we can do better.
    Richard III was stripped naked and hung over the back of a horse to be carried back to Leicester. His skeleton showed stab wounds to his pelvis consistent with somebody shoving a knife or dagger in his anus, probably while he was being carried past the soldiers of the victorious army.
    DavidL said:

I think you can still be loyal and NOT seem like the weak link in a team where the other person can't form sentences and walk in a straight line.
    HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson
    I’m delighted to share the cover for UNLEASHED and I’m looking forward to sharing the book with you when it is published this October.

I like books but I doubt I'll get that one.

Muesli said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Harris - Leia Amidala

Trump - Wilhuff Tarkin

Buttigieg - C3P0

Genuine lol...
    Same.
    Same.

If we're talking inept villains that seem important but never amount to anything, we're more talking about Lord Snoke.
    Muesli said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Harris - Leia Amidala

Trump - Wilhuff Tarkin

Buttigieg - C3P0

Leia Organa, surely.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Richard III was stripped naked and hung over the back of a horse to be carried back to Leicester. His skeleton showed stab wounds to his pelvis consistent with somebody shoving a knife or dagger in his anus, probably while he was being carried past the soldiers of the victorious army.
    At least he was already dead, unlike Colonel Gadaffi.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Seems that JD Vance, the Barefoot Boy from Silicon Valley, just can NOT get a break.

JD Vance Calls Simone Biles Dropping Out Of Tokyo Olympics A Weak Moment (7/28/2021)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU_tCY77ycs

Wonderful job of vetting by Donald Trump, Jr.

Except he can now say with confidence "See Dad, I'm NOT the dumbest doofus in the room any more!"
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

The first in a series
    • BORIS JOHNSON: UNTIDY,
    • BORIS JOHNSON: UNZIPPED,
    • BORIS JOHNSON: UNFAITHFUL,
    • BORIS JOHNSON: UNSUITABLE FOR OFFICE,
    • BORIS JOHNSON: UNEMPLOYED,
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Apple Music for the win.

I'd never have the nerve to ask a girl if she liked bono. Truly, fortune favours the brave.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

Graun feed:

As long as the Crown remains in its present form, MPs have to swear to it. That "fount of all justice/power" line isn't just florid poetry, it's real.
    I can see why people don't like it. I've finally got to the stage where I can accept "monarch as the personification of the British nation past present and future" conflation of an abstract concept with an actual human, but it takes a bit of mental gymnastics, and in a post-Christian world we're no longer very good at that sory of thing.

Fun fact. Many years ago I once had an impromptu PB meet up with @Verulamius when I was sat on a train to work reading PB on my mobile and realised the chap sat next to me also was reading PB.
    We haven't had a PB meet up for far too long. I really enjoyed the one I went to in Manchester.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

The first in a series
    I thought this one could have been called Unsheathed.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

Do publishers offer a non-fire-sale type clause for their authors? They clearly know their market, so they must have printed just one copy of Truss's great work for example, but where it's less clear will they agree to pulp rather than dump the offending works? (I think it was Brown who's book could be had cheaper than firewood wasn't it?)

DavidL said:

I think you can still be loyal and NOT seem like the weak link in a team where the other person can't form sentences and walk in a straight line.
    You don't know what has been going on behind the scenes and the extent to which she was holding this together as Biden lost it. There have been hints and if those hints are true the self effacing way she did it earns her great credit.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,520

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Apple Music for the win.

I'd never have the nerve to ask a girl if she liked bono. Truly, fortune favours the brave.
    You should also never ask a girl

'Would you like a drink or would you prefer the money instead?'
    edited July 31

The incumbent has first dibs - that's the norm. And if they are to be challenged it doesn't tend to come from the VP.

Still, it's nice you like her smile. She'd appreciate that.
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

Do publishers offer a non-fire-sale type clause for their authors? They clearly know their market, so they must have printed just one copy of Truss's great work for example, but where it's less clear will they agree to pulp rather than dump the offending works? (I think it was Brown who's book could be had cheaper than firewood wasn't it?)
    The book of my enemy has been remaindered
    And I am pleased.
    In vast quantities it has been remaindered
    Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been seized
    And sits in piles in a police warehouse,
    My enemy's much-prized effort sits in piles
    In the kind of bookshop where remaindering occurs.
    Great, square stacks of rejected books and, between them, aisles
    One passes down reflecting on life's vanities,
    Pausing to remember all those thoughtful reviews
    Lavished to no avail upon one's enemy's book --
    For behold, here is that book
    Among these ranks and banks of duds,
    These ponderous and seeminly irreducible cairns
    Of complete stiffs.
    DavidL said:

Fun fact. Many years ago I once had an impromptu PB meet up with @Verulamius when I was sat on a train to work reading PB on my mobile and realised the chap sat next to me also was reading PB.
    We haven't had a PB meet up for far too long. I really enjoyed the one I went to in Manchester.
    Last one I went to was in London, 2017.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,070
    Carnyx said:

Bugger. Outed.
    Mrs C and I hadf a day out in Peterborough. Well, outside it a bit - to see the Flag Fen site. But the cathedral is a surprise, and the borough museum is nice with eg fossils from the local brick claypits. Or it was then: these days, one has to check if the council museum is still open if one goes anywhere.
    Hudgely underrated cathedral because the town isn't great these days, and the cathedral precincts are less than optimal. But original burial place of Mary QoS, and Katherine of Aragon. Brilliant ceiling. Closely linked too to the slight mystery of Archdeacon Wakeford and a lady who was not his wife, beautifully written up by John Treherne in 'Dangerous Precincts', one of very few books to mention Algarkirk on the first page.
    Omnium said:

Explains Trump's pick. Vance is so dense, no light escapes his black hole...
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202

Muesli said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Harris - Leia Amidala

Trump - Wilhuff Tarkin

Buttigieg - C3P0

Leia Organa, surely.
    Good catch. That’s my nerd status well and truly Alderaaned though :(

Muesli said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Harris - James T. Kirk

Biden - Spock

Harris - Leia Amidala

Trump - Wilhuff Tarkin

Buttigieg - C3P0

Genuine lol...
    Same.
    Same.

That’s fair. I was stuck for a suitable villain on the Death Star though and he was the station commander. (Vader’s redemption arc ruled him out.)
    POP PB QUIZ - Who can tell, from what memorable characterization of a US POTUS candidate, did I copy (mostly) the nickname I just gave to JD Vance, aka "The Barefoot Boy of Silicon Valley"?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

One way of solving the pensioner fuel bonus problem.
    edited July 31
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

The first in a series
    Followed by Unfairly stabbed in the back, Unreplaceable on the campaign trail and Unbeaten as PM since, despite setting the bar pretty low.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

eek said:

Oh you added a bit

Plus a few retired directors and City of London workers living in £1 million+ homes they own outright with substantial shares and private pensions
    Hardly a few. Plenty of retirees from the private sector who were on healthy salaries will now have very nice pensions, whether DB or DC.
    https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1818697633831305571

Netanyahu, “Challenging Days are ahead of us and we are prepared for any Scenario…We will exact a Heavy Price for any Aggression against us from any Arena.”
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Not as spectacular as May's conference disaster, but somehow more dismal.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,070

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

And I am pleased.
    Of complete stiffs.
    There are more writers than readers.
    Caveat emptor.
    Pledge never
    To write a book.
    The one you have in mind
    Was already written
    When blind Homer was young.
    Caveat emptor.
    kinabalu said:

The incumbent has first dibs - that's the norm. And if they are to be challenged it doesn't tend to come from the VP.

I'm not suggesting that she should have challenged him.
  • DavidL said:

I'm up for it.

Helps avoid silly arguments when you are discussing with real people you have met rather than just mystery names and silly Vanilla face logos.

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

And I am pleased.
    Of complete stiffs.
    Charles Haughtry to read? (I looked up this name and it seems I'm entirely wrong - but you know the chap I mean - overweight, a bit lisping, a bit evil, old before his time)

POP PB QUIZ - Who can tell, from what memorable characterization of a US POTUS candidate, did I copy (mostly) the nickname I just gave to JD Vance, aka "The Barefoot Boy of Silicon Valley"?

Mr Google tells me Wendell Willkie as "the barefoot boy of Wall Street"

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

And I am pleased.
    Of complete stiffs.
    Clive James. And I didn't have to look it up.

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    Mar-a-Leicester.
    More like Mar-a-Fester. BUT do see your point.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited July 31
    Carnyx said:

Bugger. Outed.
    The Great Fen Project is quite interesting too.
    https://www.greatfen.org.uk/

Includes the UK's lowest point (in the fields near Holme Fen) and Woodwalton Fen, one of the first nature reserves.

Though Peterborough itself isn't great, cathedral or not.

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

"please clap"
  • @Leon still in the Sinbin then?

kinabalu said:

I'm not suggesting that she should have challenged him.
    Well how could Biden not be the preferred candidate then until he made way?

You seem to be suggesting that reflects badly on her.
  • Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

And I am pleased.
    Of complete stiffs.
    Charles Haughtry to read? (I looked up this name and it seems I'm entirely wrong - but you know the chap I mean - overweight, a bit lisping, a bit evil, old before his time)
    Charles Haughtry,
    Sounds like a mashup of dogdy Irish Prime Minister and dodgy Carry On Icon...
    Washington Post (via Seattle Times) - Hundreds of ‘Harris for President’ golf carts roll through Trump stronghold

The scene in the Florida parking lot shocked even those who planned it.

Hundreds of golf carts filed in Saturday, decked out in American flags; “Harris for President” posters; and red, white and blue streamers. Their drivers cheered, honked their horns and rode around town for hours, supporting Vice President Kamala Harris’s presidential bid for a parade in The Villages, a Florida retirement community that has been a stronghold for former President Donald Trump’s “Make America Great Again” movement for nearly a decade.

And it still is. The latest voter registration numbers for Sumter County, where The Villages is primarily located, show Democrats outnumbered three to one. In the 2020 election, Trump took 68 percent of the county’s votes.

But on Saturday, the Trump-loving town saw a turnout for a Harris rally that shocked organizers and paradegoers alike. It probably marked the largest golf cart caravan for a Democratic candidate in nearly a decade, said Dennis Foley, vice president of the Villages Democratic Club, which helped throw the event. The club expected to see around 250 people, but the attendance was at least double that. The unexpected show of support drew millions of views online. . .

“There’s enthusiasm for Kamala and also a sense of significance to this election and that there’s a lot at stake,” Foley said. “So the combination, I think, has boosted everyone that was a little bit depressed.” . . .

The rally was followed by a quick counter from Trump supporters in The Villages.

On Sunday, the Villages MAGA Club — which markets itself as a group for residents who “support the America first agenda to protect and preserve our great nation” — announced it would host a golf cart caravan to support the Trump-Vance ticket.

The club said in a Facebook post on Monday that the local sheriff’s office would attend the rally, writing: “We will kick out anyone who causes trouble. It’s what we expect from the democrats.” . . .

SSI - That last comment is very . . . catty . . . meow!

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@BorisJohnson

And I am pleased.
    Of complete stiffs.
    Charles Haughtry,
    Sounds like a mashup of dogdy Irish Prime Minister and dodgy Carry On Icon...
    Charles Laughton was the name I was searching for.

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

There is a fascinating low but real likelihood scenario.

1. Trump cannot admit he made a mistake with Vance - and refuses to change his Veep pick.

2. Consequently, Vance is on the ballot and cannot be removed. This happens within a couple of weeks in numerous states.

3. Trump has a serious/terminal health event before the election. (He's 78 - so a real risk. And he is under extreme stress in almost every aspect of his life.)

4. America ends up effectively having to vote for Vance as President in November.

5. Or not. MAGA gets obliterated.

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550

The objections to Kamala Harris weren't that she wasn't good at whatever the VP is supposed to do. They were that:

1. The Dems have better communicators who are more popular in swing states. Buttigeig is much better on Fox News, and if you had a parallel-universe Kamala Harris who grew up in Pennsylvania instead of California, you'd rather run that one.
    2. Her campaign for the 2020 presidency was an organizational mess.

(1) is still true although her approval ratings have improved, but what seems to have sealed the deal for her was that her team were very deft at handling the very tricky situation of getting a campaign ready without appearing to knife Biden. So whatever it was that went wrong in 2020, she seems to have fixed it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

The objections to Kamala Harris weren't that she wasn't good at whatever the VP is supposed to do. They were that:

1. The Dems have better communicators who are more popular in swing states. Buttigeig is much better on Fox News, and if you had a parallel-universe Kamala Harris who grew up in Pennsylvania instead of California, you'd rather run that one.
    2. Her campaign for the 2020 presidency was an organizational mess.

(1) is still true although her approval ratings have improved, but what seems to have sealed the deal for her was that her team were very deft at handling the very tricky situation of getting a campaign ready without appearing to knife Biden. So whatever it was that went wrong in 2020, she seems to have fixed it.
    I think on point 2 hasn't she essentially inherited the Biden campaign just with more money ? She also has the handy plus that she never did have to stab Biden in the back, and was his chosen successor. Which is why I always, despite losing some green when Biden withdrew always thought it prudent to keep her onside, and now I'm quite heavily on her.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    As I don't understand the analogies down thread, I will try one on ground I am familiar with:

Biden = Class 31 on the Yarmouth - Newcastle that sits down just north of York.

Harris = Class 37 that comes to the rescue off Darlington depot.

Trump = Class 47/4 on the Liverpool - Newcastle that everyone rejects in favour of the decent traction.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Sandpit said:

“A statement from the broadcaster said: “In November 2023, whilst Mr Edwards was suspended, the BBC as his employer at the time was made aware in confidence that he had been arrested on suspicion of serious offences and released on bail whilst the police continued their investigation.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/31/huw-edwards-guilty-latest/

Wonder if Huw had a his house raided at any point (presumably he did?) BBC didn't put a helicopter up over his house!
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

DavidL said:

The best one was at the National Liberal Club.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

DavidL said:

What about a mobile meet up on a train, with Sunil as MC.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Sandpit said:

How do you square the circle of your flag waving for Trump and his flag waving for Putin?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

As I don't understand the analogies down thread, I will try one on ground I am familiar with:

Trump = Class 47/4 on the Liverpool - Newcastle that everyone rejects in favour of the decent traction.

Vance = Class 17 that breaks down on a level crossing.
  • As I don't understand the analogies down thread, I will try one on ground I am familiar with:

Liz Truss, souped up Deltic returning after many years to the East Coast Main Line that sets fire to the canopy at Berwick Station and causes total chaos after driver tries to blow out the fire by revving the engine?

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/90s/961130hr.htm
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

DavidL said:

Sunil. Time to upgrade your 'Starmer /Calmer logo. Why not one for 'Kamala'? You've done some good ones in your time
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

Sunil. Time to upgrade your 'Starmer /Calmer logo. Why not one for 'Kamala'? You've done some good ones in your time
    To be fair there's not as many words that rhyme with Kamala but if anyone can do it, @Sunil_Prasannan can :D

DavidL said:

What about a mobile meet up on a train, with Sunil as MC.
    Could we have a Zoom one, for those of us who can't get about so easily, or just can't get to wherever for an evening. Happy to bring my own drinks!
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

“A statement from the broadcaster said: “In November 2023, whilst Mr Edwards was suspended, the BBC as his employer at the time was made aware in confidence that he had been arrested on suspicion of serious offences and released on bail whilst the police continued their investigation.”

Wonder if Huw had a his house raided at any point (presumably he did?) BBC didn't put a helicopter up over his house!
    I wonder if anyone, maybe our friendly legal Seal, knows whether the BBC can claw back some of the salary they paid him as if they had known surely they could have fired him for gross misconduct?
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,384

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"@YouGovAmerica

July 21-23 poll:

Trump - Richard III
    You mean we should aim for really revolting?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

To be fair there's not as many words that rhyme with Kamala but if anyone can do it, @Sunil_Prasannan can :D
    I don't wish to give too much away, but Mrs Northern_Al's name rhymes pretty much, and she's quite a fan.
    However, Pamela for Kamala is yet to go viral.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    edited July 31
    Republicans against Trump
    @RpsAgainstTrump

“It's only gotten worse. It got from negative 6 points to negative 15 points now. This is the worst vice presidential pick of my lifetime.”

https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1818662347566702807

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

There is a fascinating low but real likelihood scenario.

1. Trump cannot admit he made a mistake with Vance - and refuses to change his Veep pick.

2. Consequently, Vance is on the ballot and cannot be removed. This happens within a couple of weeks in numerous states.

3. Trump has a serious/terminal health event before the election. (He's 78 - so a real risk. And he is under extreme stress in almost every aspect of his life.)

4. America ends up effectively having to vote for Vance as President in November.

5. Or not. MAGA gets obliterated.

IF the USA is unfortunately enough that the Trump-Vance ticket wins a majority of ELECTORAL VOTES, then note that the actual electors are NOT bound to vote for Trump for President OR Vance for VP. Regardless of state "faithless elector" laws which are toothless.

So IF in this scenario, DTJ is a . . . wait for it . . . demented vegetable or otherwise incapacitated AND JDV is still as popular as week-old used kitty litter, THEN the Republican electors could vote for alternatives. Then question would be, would they vote for the SAME alternatives for POTUS and VP, or would they split their votes? Which could then throw the elections into the US House for President, and US Senate for Vice President.

Further note that IF the US House elects next POTUS, this is done with each state delegation having one vote, which would favor the GOP regardless or not IF the Democrat gained an majority in the House or not.
    viewcode said:

Mr Google tells me Wendell Willkie as "the barefoot boy of Wall Street"
    Half credit UNTIL you can tell WHO(M) it was called WW that?

@RpsAgainstTrump

“It's only gotten worse. It got from negative 6 points to negative 15 points now. This is the worst vice presidential pick of my lifetime.”

Stockdale may have gone over worse, but at least he could count himself somewhat unlucky in the way he came across.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

@RpsAgainstTrump

Just Ditch Vance?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

Sandpit said:

How do you square the circle of your flag waving for Trump and his flag waving for Putin?
    I don't recall Sandpit flag waving for Trump?
    It's possible to be dubious about the merits of a candidate without supporting that candidates opponent. Especially in an election in which you don't have a vote.
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Who needs a freaking helicopter, when a fricking drone is way cheaper and more effective?

Just ask the Canadian Olympic soccer team! (Or maybe don't?)
This discussion has been closed.