Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Election night guide – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,114
    edited July 4
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

Raducanu is a grammar school girl. Tory.

She's got a 992 GTS vert so that's fully sick.
    It's refreshing to see a celeb who, rather than confessing to wanting world peace or an end to hunger as a child, says they always dreamed of owning a Porsche 911.
    Which of course she still doesn’t. It’s a Porsche press car, on loan to her as part of a sponsorship agreement.

I’d also say I always dreamed of a 911, if saying so meant that Porsche loaned me one for free.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393

eristdoof said:

can anyone suggest a method of getting BBC-TV coverage overnight in Germany?
    I have no traditional TV set, just online streaming and I have no VPN. Well I do but a free one where where I can't specify which country I'm in. BBC i-Player is only available in the UK.

I usually just listen to radio for UK news (no location block) and occasionally stream German TV for visual news. But visual coverage of the election would be so much better.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

I should imagine one or more channels will have it on YouTube.

I've just posted and deleted half a dozen links to election news livestreams. Go to YouTube, search for uk general election or some such, then select live.
    I think Sky News is available globally on YouTube and is generally better coverage than the BBC anyway.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352

A dilemma,

I cannot stay up to watch the results tonight as I have a journey to make early tomorrow.

Do I stay up for the exit poll or go to bed early and wake early hours for most of the declarations..,

Decisions decisions… I am worried about severe exit poll FOMO but imagine if it’s wrong and I miss all the drama and set pieces.

Watch the poll, stay up for the first result, then just one more to confirm the trend. Go to sleep at 4.
  • mickydroymickydroy Posts: 316
    Anecdotal evidence from my ward, spoke to a Tory canvasser who is actually going to the count, he said its nip and tuck, too close too call, the Tories are defending 15,000 here, I don't know where that would leave the overall Labour majority if they won here, pretty hefty I would imagine
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,313
    Just met a neighbour at end of my drive. She was with her dog and told me she was off to polling station.

I said - 'ha, great, keeping up the great british tradition of dogs at polling stations!!"

She just looked at me with a very blank look.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,129
    Very good @Pulpstar thanks.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,999

A dilemma,

I cannot stay up to watch the results tonight as I have a journey to make early tomorrow.

Do I stay up for the exit poll or go to bed early and wake early hours for most of the declarations..,

Decisions decisions… I am worried about severe exit poll FOMO but imagine if it’s wrong and I miss all the drama and set pieces.

Has to be the declarations and all the 'we are hearing xxxx are seriously worried about xxxxx' drama!
    This is another example of Lib Dems having the worst time. Most of our target seats are at the later end of the night, between 4 and 5pm. Labour supporters get to see most of their greatest hits between 3 and 4.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,499
    edited July 4
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

A long queue out the door, never seen it so brisk. The woman behind me was debating how best to defeat the Tory and hadn't made up her mind when it got to my turn to go in.

She should have been told to shut up. No political discussion is allowed inside and immediately around the polling station.
    I know, and I almost said something. But I am a town councillor and she and her husband are voters
  • Just met a neighbour at end of my drive. She was with her dog and told me she was off to polling station.

I said - 'ha, great, keeping up the great british tradition of dogs at polling stations!!"

She just looked at me with a very blank look.

Well, stop smelling their arse.
  • Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 147

Voted! And done some street politics with passing mums heading up to school. Hot topic local issue - save the library.

Has anyone suggested the aggressive ultra extremist method to save the library?

AKA people using it?
    We ARE using it. The council budget keeps getting cut year on year as their costs on statutory services goes up. They're faced with the need to provide library services but not being able to afford to switch the lights on. Our library is down to 6 hours a week as it is.

Officers (its always the officers) genuinely asking us if there are other places that could be used to put a library. There are not. The fightback is by pushing them to provide the statutory services that have already been cut such as youth services, and put them into the building.

A bit of cash spent - to replace all the florescent lights with LEDs and replace the storage heaters with energy efficient heat pump - would slash operating costs. But they don't have the money to invest in that either.

This isn't even party political at a micro scale - every council is slashing services because the system itself is broken. Which is why I am running for election - we need to make a more fundamental change than tinkering around the edges. What legacy are we bequeathing to my kids when everything we once had it being scrapped because we can't afford it? How can we afford not to have a bus service or libraries or youth work or public toilets or a GP surgery with GPs in it or the police?

Bloody Tories know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    Yup - per capita central funding has dropped circa 20% in real terms in the 14 years of Conservative rule. And one assumes demands for council spending (from aging population, etc.) has only increased. Around 40 odd per cent of households with at least one person working are in poverty. Nearly half of children in families with three kids or more are in poverty.

To be sure there are positive sides of the ledger (pensioner poverty has fallen under the Conservatives). But, they are pretty few and far between (the FT weekend did a page of charts a few weeks ago that starkly demonstrated this).

Not sure we’ll get much better from tomorrow. But, I just hope that we get leadership that stops trying to distract us with chat about a “culture war” and actually starts trying to fix the big things that are failing.
    You mean relative poverty on whatever the current definition is.

Not actual poverty.

If all the rich people left the country then 'poverty' would fall but actual poverty would increase.
    True - but I think relative poverty is the most appropriate measure - if it wasn’t why would we have the triple lock for pensioners?

Also whenever I get this correction all i hear in my head is “And the union workhouses?… are they still in operation?”
  • ChristopherChristopher Posts: 91

tlg86 said:

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1808774969142186411

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley
    🚨
    @IpsosUK
    FINAL CALL: Labour lead at 18 / Tories face historic defeat / Lab share drops in final week. 🚨

Labour 37% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (nc)
    Reform UK 15% (nc)
    Lib Dems 11% (nc)
    Greens 9% (+2)

EC (I know) gives:

Con 69
    Lab 462
    LD 71
    Ref 7
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Others 20

on that Ipsos.
    I wonder if ipsos is picking up a very late swing away from the conservatives here.
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

Laura Kuennsberg is “hearing of a surprise late swing to the Tories, with hung parliament now in sight”.

Perhaps those of us who are keen on reversing Brexit think his offer of not reversing it in his lifetime was rather off putting
    And perhaps if Labour win a landslide majority those of you who obsess over Brexit are politically insignificant then?
    Went down like a bucket of sick on the doorsteps of affirmed supporters last night, it will be apparent what effect it has in 18 hours.
    No one wants to obsess about Brexit apart from those misguided people who wanted it, it just f**ks up significant aspects of our lives, As it was obvious it would do. Sorry, I forgot, "Big Thanks",
    Isn’t the whole point of Starmer that he only promises what he can deliver? I believe it is - and I actually admire him for that. Its one reason I will be eagerly voting for him before I emigrate

And, whatever your views, Rejoin is not practical politics. It’s just not going to happen. Think about everything that has to fall into place

In Britain you’d need five years of solid polls clamouring for rejoin. These polls would have to show acceptance of the euro, free movement, everything. No pm will risk a vote they might lose

So the government that offers the poll will also have to be popular. And Britain will have to be suffering AT THE SAME TIME - so people want this huge change. Think about THAT

Then you need the EU to agree. Negotiations could take a decade. At any time a veto could happen from any country. Spain might demand Gibraltar. On and on

It’s absurd and it is never going to happen - no one will want to expend the political capital and take the endless risk - Sir Kir Royale Starmer is simply telling you the truth. Sorry
    It's easy, you just need to say 'Bring back Free Movement with the EU to drastically reduce immigration. The Tories ended Free Movement and immigration skyrocketed.'

Not that personally think immigration's a bad thing. But the drip, drip, rip of the right-wing media over decades has poisoned the well.

In the age of digital payments, once the Boomers have gone no-one will care about pound notes.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,493
    edited July 4
    As everyone is doing it, here is my prediction:

CON: 123
    LAB: 414
    LD: 63
    REF: 2
    GREEN: 3
    SNP: 22
    PC: 3
    OTH: 20.

A truly terrrrrible night for the Tories but they avoid the sub-100 humiliation. Kier just misses out on the Blair 1997 score.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,739
    Question: How many Council by-elections are happening today?

(Spotted over on Lib Dem Voice.)
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,313
    Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    👟 Head to your polling station
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

🛑 Stop the Labour supermajority

https://x.com/RishiSunak/status/1808780441068966165
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393

Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

Laura Kuennsberg is “hearing of a surprise late swing to the Tories, with hung parliament now in sight”.

Perhaps those of us who are keen on reversing Brexit think his offer of not reversing it in his lifetime was rather off putting
    And perhaps if Labour win a landslide majority those of you who obsess over Brexit are politically insignificant then?
    Went down like a bucket of sick on the doorsteps of affirmed supporters last night, it will be apparent what effect it has in 18 hours.
    No one wants to obsess about Brexit apart from those misguided people who wanted it, it just f**ks up significant aspects of our lives, As it was obvious it would do. Sorry, I forgot, "Big Thanks",
    Isn’t the whole point of Starmer that he only promises what he can deliver? I believe it is - and I actually admire him for that. Its one reason I will be eagerly voting for him before I emigrate

And, whatever your views, Rejoin is not practical politics. It’s just not going to happen. Think about everything that has to fall into place

In Britain you’d need five years of solid polls clamouring for rejoin. These polls would have to show acceptance of the euro, free movement, everything. No pm will risk a vote they might lose

So the government that offers the poll will also have to be popular. And Britain will have to be suffering AT THE SAME TIME - so people want this huge change. Think about THAT

Then you need the EU to agree. Negotiations could take a decade. At any time a veto could happen from any country. Spain might demand Gibraltar. On and on

It’s absurd and it is never going to happen - no one will want to expend the political capital and take the endless risk - Sir Kir Royale Starmer is simply telling you the truth. Sorry
    It's easy, you just need to say 'Bring back Free Movement with the EU to drastically reduce immigration. The Tories ended Free Movement and immigration skyrocketed.'

Not that personally think immigration's a bad thing. But the drip, drip, rip of the right-wing media over decades has poisoned the well.

In the age of digital payments, once the Boomers have gone no-one will care about pound notes.
    Nobody gives a shit about pound notes already.

People absolutely do care about interest rates.

Having our own currency means our own central bank, not whose face is printed on the notes.
  • SKS's ratings improve AGAIN.

I am struggling to understand why the polls would be going down unless it was for tactical reasons, can anyone help me?
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,388

A dilemma,

You’d have to go back to 1992 to find an exit poll that was significant different from the actual outcome
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,317
    edited July 4
    148grss said:

Dopermean said:

148grss said:

Ghedebrav said:

Cookie said:

nico679 said:

Are the Greens really going to get 9% . I just can’t see it myself .

Unexpected Green voters are everywhere.
    My daughter explained the reason to me yesterday: tuition fees.
    Makes perfect sense really. All the other parties are charging half a generation £50k plus to start adulthood. The Green Party isn't.

Personally I think the Greens are a binch of incoherent batshit crazy extreme culture warriors. But maybe £50k plus is rather more important to people.
    There are normal people too. Like, er me, and double-er, Dura Ace. Oh, and triple-er - BJO.

OK, point taken. Any other Green PBers?
    I've gone back to voting for losers - my last two GE votes were tactical for the LDs, but because Daisy is going to hold her seat easily, I want to make sure I contribute to our increase in short money.
    @Cookie would you vote to pay 9% more tax?
    Under a proper PR system I'd expect the big winners to be Greens, PC and Reform, big losers Labour and Conservatives with SNP and LDs flat.
    I saw that polling about voters who would say they'd they be happy to pay more in tax if they knew it went to the NHS etc. It was a pleasant read to see that the idea we are all individuals fighting over resources and there is no such thing as society is more pessimistic than what most people actually feel.

I do feel that we as a body politic could learn something from our Scandi neighbours - it often seems like they view taxation for services as a baseline good and have been less infected by the notion that "scroungers" are "taking advantage" of the system. As someone who earns, after tax, roughly £2k a month - seeing that go down by around £100 a month for the safety of knowing the investment will go into NHS, public transport, public housing, sustainable energy and infrastructure etc. would be a no brainer for me.
    Did you look at the details of that polling?

Only a small fraction of people were willing to pay more than an extra £100, a year, in tax for the NHS. An extra £100 per person in work is £3.3bn in extra tax revenue. The deficit is over £100bn.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,493

SKS's ratings improve AGAIN.

I am struggling to understand why the polls would be going down unless it was for tactical reasons, can anyone help me?

Less certainty to vote/forgone conclusion/can lend a vote to the Greens etc if Labour will win anyway?

I've really been scratching my head on this and come to a conclusion overnight. 2 things:

- Voters seeing this election as a free hit, meaning the voting patterns will be more akin to a PR election than a normal FPTP one
    - Familiarity increasing - generally leads to increases in approval so long as someone isn't actively disliked
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    edited July 4
    mickydroy said:

Anecdotal evidence from my ward, spoke to a Tory canvasser who is actually going to the count, he said its nip and tuck, too close too call, the Tories are defending 15,000 here, I don't know where that would leave the overall Labour majority if they won here, pretty hefty I would imagine

If the Tories held everything 15k plus they'd have about 180 to 200 mps
    Edit - 174!
  • Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

That’s seriously embarrassing from the PM on Election Day.
    I'm not sure I've ever seen this before. Even Corbyn was still making out he was going to win.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    I saw on an aggregater site the following

Con 53-125
    Lab 418-516
    LDs 38-72
    Reform 1-7
    Green 1-4
    SNP 8-29

I'd put Con within 10 of 100, Lab 450ish, LDs late 30s, Reform 2, Green 2, SNP at upper end of predicted.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,177

Voted! And done some street politics with passing mums heading up to school. Hot topic local issue - save the library.

Has anyone suggested the aggressive ultra extremist method to save the library?

AKA people using it?
    We ARE using it. The council budget keeps getting cut year on year as their costs on statutory services goes up. They're faced with the need to provide library services but not being able to afford to switch the lights on. Our library is down to 6 hours a week as it is.

Officers (its always the officers) genuinely asking us if there are other places that could be used to put a library. There are not. The fightback is by pushing them to provide the statutory services that have already been cut such as youth services, and put them into the building.

A bit of cash spent - to replace all the florescent lights with LEDs and replace the storage heaters with energy efficient heat pump - would slash operating costs. But they don't have the money to invest in that either.

This isn't even party political at a micro scale - every council is slashing services because the system itself is broken. Which is why I am running for election - we need to make a more fundamental change than tinkering around the edges. What legacy are we bequeathing to my kids when everything we once had it being scrapped because we can't afford it? How can we afford not to have a bus service or libraries or youth work or public toilets or a GP surgery with GPs in it or the police?

Bloody Tories know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    Yup - per capita central funding has dropped circa 20% in real terms in the 14 years of Conservative rule. And one assumes demands for council spending (from aging population, etc.) has only increased. Around 40 odd per cent of households with at least one person working are in poverty. Nearly half of children in families with three kids or more are in poverty.

To be sure there are positive sides of the ledger (pensioner poverty has fallen under the Conservatives). But, they are pretty few and far between (the FT weekend did a page of charts a few weeks ago that starkly demonstrated this).

Not sure we’ll get much better from tomorrow. But, I just hope that we get leadership that stops trying to distract us with chat about a “culture war” and actually starts trying to fix the big things that are failing.
    You mean relative poverty on whatever the current definition is.

Not actual poverty.

If all the rich people left the country then 'poverty' would fall but actual poverty would increase.
    True - but I think relative poverty is the most appropriate measure - if it wasn’t why would we have the triple lock for pensioners?

Also whenever I get this correction all i hear in my head is “And the union workhouses?… are they still in operation?”
    Well if you want to consider what the government spends on social protection as the modern 'union workhouses' there are £371bn of them this year.

Plus another £251bn on health:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45814459
    MattW said:

60, Britain elects has a summary of them all
    edited July 4
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

A long queue out the door, never seen it so brisk. The woman behind me was debating how best to defeat the Tory and hadn't made up her mind when it got to my turn to go in.

Are you Isle of Wight West or East ?
    East, even though the town wanted to be west
    Labour for both I think.
    East, I am not so sure. Last time's result and the MRP models say so. But Starmer blocked the local party from choosing a candidate and then relatively late imposed a disabled lesbian trans woman, relatively new to the island (stood in Sutton last time) on the seat, presumably to tick off some boxes for his candidate list, which has split the local Labour Party. On top of which, said candidate is as dull as ditchwater and answers every question in a dull monotone with extracts from the Labour manifesto. And she's a town councillor for Sandown which has the highest council tax on the island having hiked it by 50% in one year (the parish element) not long ago.

There's an active local primary campaign, which has endorsed the local Green candidate, who has a reasonable profile already, as its 'people's champion', and all the straw polls taken after hustings have put her ahead. The island has a reputation for paying more attention to the individual candidates than many seats. My town is covered in Green posters.

I know the local Tory is delighted and thinks the opposition split will see him through the middle. And he may well be right. Although Reform has a lot of support on social media and may also poll strongly, given the local demographic.
  • TimS said:

I've really been scratching my head on this and come to a conclusion overnight. 2 things:

- Voters seeing this election as a free hit, meaning the voting patterns will be more akin to a PR election than a normal FPTP one
    - Familiarity increasing - generally leads to increases in approval so long as someone isn't actively disliked
    Thanks Tim, interesting points.

There was some commentary that the approval ratings having been historically a better judge of outcomes, were showing something of a polling miss, although towards Labour doing better not worse. More in line with the MRPs than the normal Westminster VIs, so an interesting one to watch.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,980
    edited July 4
    Voted. (Penrith and Solway). Steady to brisk, officers (both looked about 12) said they had been quite busy. No queue but arriving, voting and departing was continual. My stubby pencil had come off its string. Met several dogs going and returning, none discussed elections, politics etc, but brisk discussions about bird tables, Wimbledon, weather.

Once again reflect on the stubby pencil being the difference between us and North Korea.

First ever GE vote where seat may change hands. Unlike North Korea.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,913
    Leon said:

I’ve got an election day lunch with my agent, at the Groucho Club. Feels right as we kiss goodbye to the last of the Tory good times: the Era of Opulence is giving way to a sad, pinched, leftier kind of life

Come the next election the Groucho will probably be a madrasa

I’ll see you all on the boats at Dover, heading out

Have you visited Rwanda? I think there may be some accommodation available at good rates.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,388
    Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

Realistically, it's all he's got.

See also the papers endorsing the Conservatives. All they can point to is things they fear about Starmer.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,378
    IanB2 said:

I see the dog, but where's the polling queue for scale ?
  • Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 695

Less certainty to vote/forgone conclusion/can lend a vote to the Greens etc if Labour will win anyway?
    Not just 'we can vote Green' but 'we can vote Reform'. People are relaxed that the Cons are toast and get to 'waste a vote' without fear. It is the downside of the long-term Lab strategy of safety first
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,449
    Final forecast::
    Labour 36%
    Tories 26%
    Reform 12%
    LibDems 12%
    Greens 6%
    SNP 3%
    Others 5%

Thinking - It's clear Labour is beginning to lose vote share in three ways - DKs going to the Tories, tactical voting and to the Greens and Independents. The Tories almost always outperform their polling. Reform almost always underperforms theirs.

Down with the Treating Act 1695 and its successors, without which we would all now be blind drunk at the expense of the candidates. Binface misses a trick by not having a repeal in his manifesto.

Cheers to that!
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,315
    Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

If he wrote “let’s win this” then he would be roundly mocked. If he wrote nothing he would be criticised for having no words of encouragement. At least we see some evidence that he’s in the real world by acknowledging Labour are on for a thumping win.

A dilemma,

Go to sleep as early as you can. Not only will you get the most sleep, and put yourself in as good condition for your drive as possible, but you will minimise the time you spend conscious while waiting for the result.
  • James_MJames_M Posts: 103
    edited July 4
    Morning all,

My rather belated competition entry for @Farooq

1. Reform beat Conservatives - 87 seats
    2. Labour finish 3rd or lower - 124 seats
    3. Conservatives lose their deposit - 17 seats
    4. Lib Dems lose their deposit - 36 seats
    5. Reform lose their deposit - 22 seats
    6. Labour lose their deposit - 0 seats

7. Largest winning vote margin - 32,875 votes
    8. Biggest notional majority defeated - 19,289 votes

9. Small winning vote margin - 8 votes
    10. Smallest gap between 1st and 3rd - 1,134 votes
    11. Lowest number of votes for any candidate - 27 votes

12. Parties elected - 12
    13. Conservative Seats - 137 seats
    14. Labour seats - 409 seats
    15. Lib Dem seats - 59 seats
    16. SNP seats - 19 seats
    17. Sinn Fein seats - 7 seats
    18. DUP seats - 7 seats
    19. Seats Reform come second in - 89 seats

20. Conservatives - 25 %
    21. Reform - 14 %
    22. SNP - 33%
    23. Lowest of any winning candidate - 29.8%
    24. Highest of 2nd place candidate - 37.2%
    25. Speaker percentage - 69.2%

Thank you!

Edited - Forgot Plaid Cymru and tweaked SNP. I will leave it now.

mickydroy said:

Edit - 174!
    This does seem to tally more closely with what we'd expect after the locals in May. 175-200 seats. Interesting that this seems to be the tide line in whatever constituency is being anecdoted about.

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

See also the papers endorsing the Conservatives. All they can point to is things they fear about Starmer.
    It is extraordinary that incumbents of 14 years have said nothing about what they have achieved in that time.
  • mickydroymickydroy Posts: 316

mickydroy said:

Edit - 174!
    I suppose a lot could depend on all these sort of seats, if they hold on it won't be terrible, if they don't, they are in real trouble
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,723

Starmer’s ratings simply reflect that he’s a winner, and they are still low for a winning Prime Minister.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,872
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

I’ve got an election day lunch with my agent, at the Groucho Club. Feels right as we kiss goodbye to the last of the Tory good times: the Era of Opulence is giving way to a sad, pinched, leftier kind of life

Have you visited Rwanda? I think there may be some accommodation available at good rates.
    I would actually like to go to Rwanda - quite a lot. It is on my list, in one of the few regions of the world I do not know: central/west Africa, central Asia, central America. And Polynesia. I have basically been everywhere else

Labour 36%
    Tories 26%
    Reform 12%
    LibDems 12%
    Greens 6%
    SNP 3%
    Others 5%

Thinking - It's clear Labour is beginning to lose vote share in three ways - DKs going to the Tories, tactical voting and to the Greens and Independents. The Tories almost always outperform their polling. Reform almost always underperforms theirs.

I'm guessing that would result in a 97/01 type outcome with a few reform/Green sprinkles and more SNP
    stjohn said:

Tewkesbury Update

Ladbrokes now have the LDs in to evens; Con still just holding on to favoritism at 8/13. Those who followed my advice should now lay off if they have not already done so.

It's simply too close to call.

PtP. Good advice. I am on at 9/2 and I am going to hold my bet. In total I now have 13 consituency bets based on tips here and I will hold onto them all until the Returning Officers return.

Best hopes are

Harrow East Tory @ 4/1 (Sean Fear)
    Islington NOT Corbyn @ 2/1 (Various)
    Tewkesbury at 9/2 (PtP)

Good luck to all PB punters! Many thanks to TSE for all his hard work and kind regards to OGH.
    19/4 for me.
    I've laid off the stake, and am letting the rest run.

Couple of quid against Corbyn just for the LOLs.

And I second your good wishes for Mike, and thanks to TSE.
  • ukelectukelect Posts: 140

Not just 'we can vote Green' but 'we can vote Reform'. People are relaxed that the Cons are toast and get to 'waste a vote' without fear. It is the downside of the long-term Lab strategy of safety first
    I absolutely agree with this. Since the overall result seems to be a forgone conclusion, it's quite refreshing to be able to vote for a party you support, rather than against one you dislike.
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 772

I believe this is what the young people call 'representing'. Let's see what Arundel thinks this morning! (Two reactions so far, both loved it)
    edited July 4

Reversion to the mean is finally happening. It will mitigate the Conservative loss a little.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,691
    Tres said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Young people today.

"Emma Raducanu says she did not know general election vote was on Thursday

At a press conference, Raducanu was asked if she would vote before practising on Thursday, and if she would keep an eye on the general election in the evening. “No,” she replied, smiling. “I think I’ll have a lie-in, then I’ll come to practise.

“I didn’t even know it was tomorrow, to be honest! Thanks for letting me know.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/03/emma-raducanu-claims-ignorance-of-general-election-and-says-she-will-lie-in

Shame, because she’d obviously be a Lib Dem.
    Nah she is clearly Tory as fuck. The fact she is saying nowt is indicative of a wider trend.
    She doesn't sound too bright so she is most probably a young Conservative...

:wink:
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,963
    If you really want to watch well-spoken twentysomethings duckspeaking polls at each other, the "TLDR Podcast" crew are doing exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5Q0vnNLVU
    boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

If he wrote “let’s win this” then he would be roundly mocked. If he wrote nothing he would be criticised for having no words of encouragement. At least we see some evidence that he’s in the real world by acknowledging Labour are on for a thumping win.
    You have to say something positive. “Don’t let the other lot win a landslide” really isn’t that.

As everyone is doing it, here is my prediction:

CON: 123
    LAB: 414
    LD: 63
    REF: 2
    GREEN: 3
    SNP: 22
    PC: 3
    OTH: 20.

A truly terrrrrible night for the Tories but they avoid the sub-100 humiliation. Kier just misses out on the Blair 1997 score.

Lab 460 40%
    Con 70 23%
    LD 60 11%

all approx
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,167
    Been in. On my amble down a lost student was seeking the polling station so chatted with him for the last couple of minutes of the walk down. I demurred from asking directly of course, but chatted about it being a change election, regrets for Labour's timidity, and local Green prospects. It took a while to find his entry on the register and found out that student halls are alphabetised by hall name not street name.

The polling station had a steady trickle of voters.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,247

tlg86 said:

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley
    🚨
    @IpsosUK
    FINAL CALL: Labour lead at 18 / Tories face historic defeat / Lab share drops in final week. 🚨

Labour 37% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (nc)
    Reform UK 15% (nc)
    Lib Dems 11% (nc)
    Greens 9% (+2)

EC (I know) gives:

Con 69
    Lab 462
    LD 71
    Ref 7
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Others 20

on that Ipsos.
    I wonder if Ipsos is picking up a very late swing away from the conservatives here.
    If you had to find a rationale for those numbers you might well say that with the main result a foregone conclusion, some who would otherwise vote Con or Labour feel sufficiently liberated to vote for the Party they really like the most.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,723

148grss said:

Dopermean said:

148grss said:

Ghedebrav said:

Cookie said:

nico679 said:

Are the Greens really going to get 9% . I just can’t see it myself .

Unexpected Green voters are everywhere.
    My daughter explained the reason to me yesterday: tuition fees.
    Makes perfect sense really. All the other parties are charging half a generation £50k plus to start adulthood. The Green Party isn't.

Personally I think the Greens are a binch of incoherent batshit crazy extreme culture warriors. But maybe £50k plus is rather more important to people.
    There are normal people too. Like, er me, and double-er, Dura Ace. Oh, and triple-er - BJO.

OK, point taken. Any other Green PBers?
    I've gone back to voting for losers - my last two GE votes were tactical for the LDs, but because Daisy is going to hold her seat easily, I want to make sure I contribute to our increase in short money.
    @Cookie would you vote to pay 9% more tax?
    Under a proper PR system I'd expect the big winners to be Greens, PC and Reform, big losers Labour and Conservatives with SNP and LDs flat.
    I saw that polling about voters who would say they'd they be happy to pay more in tax if they knew it went to the NHS etc. It was a pleasant read to see that the idea we are all individuals fighting over resources and there is no such thing as society is more pessimistic than what most people actually feel.

I do feel that we as a body politic could learn something from our Scandi neighbours - it often seems like they view taxation for services as a baseline good and have been less infected by the notion that "scroungers" are "taking advantage" of the system. As someone who earns, after tax, roughly £2k a month - seeing that go down by around £100 a month for the safety of knowing the investment will go into NHS, public transport, public housing, sustainable energy and infrastructure etc. would be a no brainer for me.
    Did you look at the details of that polling?

Only a small fraction of people were willing to pay more than an extra £100, a year, in tax for the NHS. An extra £100 per person in work is £3.3bn in extra tax revenue. The deficit is over £100bn.
    Also some people think that small rises in tax lead to much better services, rather than simply standing still.
    MattW said:

We have a town council one, which was slowing the polling station down a bit

The ratings figures are from the full sample, but the headline voting intention figures exclude those who don't know how they will vote.

If the don't knows returns to the Tories then the Labour share in headline voting intention will go down, even if the number of Labour voters stays steady, and ratings for SKS improve on the full sample.
    FF43 said:

Reversion to the mean is finally happening. It will mitigate the Conservative loss a little.
    No i think its just labour voters switching to the greens in their safe seats.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Doyle, got to say, not a fan.

Promoting one side that echo your views is one thing, having a go at others for having a different view is not healthy in a free democracy.

Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

Has anyone run the projected numbers on that ?
    It might actually be true.
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Photographing voters at a PS is another no, sadly.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,461
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

It is extraordinary that incumbents of 14 years have said nothing about what they have achieved in that time.
    The Conservative Party have campaigned almost entirely on the failure of the Labour Party over the last 14 years and the next five. It would be interesting if they do get a caning from Reform after their Reformesque social and immigration policy offering.

Labour 36%
    Tories 26%
    Reform 12%
    LibDems 12%
    Greens 6%
    SNP 3%
    Others 5%

They didnt outperform their polling in 1997.

Down with the Treating Act 1695 and its successors, without which we would all now be blind drunk at the expense of the candidates. Binface misses a trick by not having a repeal in his manifesto.

POTD so far.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,031
    edited July 4

Labour 36%
    Tories 26%
    Reform 12%
    LibDems 12%
    Greens 6%
    SNP 3%
    Others 5%

The one I thing that will be interesting is how much, if at all, Reform eats into the Labour vote in the Red Wall. I suppose it is possible that Labour could underperform on the vote share but without the Tories benefitting.
    Turnout according to my wife was apparently very brisk in the local polling station here in the safe Labour territory of North Lewisham. But it was school run time so perhaps not surprising.

I don't sense much of a Green or Indy surge here. It'll be solid monolithic Labour. A few Palestine flags around but far fewer than equivalent places North of the river.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,843
    Voted Lib Dem (by proxy).

My mother just voted Labour for the first time ever - loyal tory voter in every general election since 1983. For her it was Truss the final factor, destroyed the Tory record for economic competence, and Sunak hasn't been able to improve on that. Dad still a tory though.
  • Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 695
    The four polls that matter are out there and the mesage is clear.

Labour 36-38 (Survation are outliers on 41)
    Cons 19-21
    Ref 15-17 (ipsos ae on a low 15 - phone poll?)
    LD 11-13 (Verian at 13 while they have Lab lowest)
    G 7-9 (Ipsos have it at 9 - maybe the mirror of the low Reform rating)

Lab lead 15-20 (Verian is lowest but that high LD vote is grim for the Cons. Opinium at 20 looks to have Lab too high).

Even 15% is of course a disastrous result but are the polls wrong? The 18 last polls have the lead between 13 and 20. In the last 19 General Elections the result has landed inside the scope of the final polls 11 times. It was within 1% 6 times more and within 2% once. Only at one GE - 1992 - has that pattern been bucked. All the pollsters whiffed by 7% in 1992.

Con politicians do not look like they did in the last couple of days before 1992.
    Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

Correct on the points. Nevertheless "We're stuffed but we're going to do nothing about it" isn't great rhetoric. Rhetoric matters.
    The grey army is on the march, over 75s Cavalry for Rishi
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,461

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

But if it's working and it's the last throw of the dice why not?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,724

Roger said:

Again, although the Labour lead has dropped it doesn’t really imply it’s down to anything Labour has done.

I'm not sure about that. They're beginning to look like a pretty empty vessel. They're now depending 100% on voters loathing the Tories enough to make it worthwhile voting.

These Suella Braverman photos are going to have their work cutout.
    How do you explain SKS's ratings improving throughout the campaign?
    He's been personally impressive. Surprisingly so. Which is why it makes no sense with two days to go the first time he sticks his neck out it's to dash the hopes of millions of voters. What's more to say he's not going to do it 'In my lifetime' suggests he doesn't even want to.

Most Labour supporters had hopes that when he got his feet under the table he would start to unravel the mess that is Brexit.
    To all my Republican friends who are enjoying the Democratic Party being in meltdown because they’ve realized their nominee has huge problems: they’re doing what the Republican Party should be doing.
    https://x.com/prchovanec/status/1808697754182459798
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I would actually like to go to Rwanda - quite a lot. It is on my list, in one of the few regions of the world I do not know: central/west Africa, central Asia, central America. And Polynesia. I have basically been everywhere else
    In Polynesia skirt round the edges. Tahiti and Bora Bora is mid market US honeymooners in bungalows on stilts (but Mo'orea is the best sky dive I have done). The more remote islands are fab. Like the outer Hebrides but with breadfruit. Get the Aranui 5 (basically the ferry but takes cruise passengers) to sign you up for a puff piece.
    boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

Given that Labour support is drifting because the win is being assumed, you could also argue that it's quite clever, as the most likely way to depress his opponent's tally
    Farooq said:

algarkirk said:

Voted. Steady to brisk, officers (both looked about 12) said they had been quite busy. No queue but arriving, voting and departing was continual. My stubby pencil had come off its string. Met several dogs going and returning, none discussed elections, politics etc, but brisk discussions about bird tables, Wimbledon, weather.

Once again reflect on the stubby pencil being the difference between us and North Korea.

First ever GE vote where seat may change hands. Unlike North Korea.

Did any of the dogs give their thoughts on who might win Wimbledon?
    All barking for the Raducanu/Murray combination and commenting that the weather is bad even in the deep south Wimbledon(here we generally believe that the south of England is mostly sub-tropical).
    Sandpit said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

You have to say something positive. “Don’t let the other lot win a landslide” really isn’t that.
    The classy message would be something like "it's ups to you", "everyone's vote matters" or "may the best man win". But Rishi has spent the last couple of years not doing the classy thing.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 239
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

Would you boast about their "achievements"?
    Food bank dependency from 40k to over 3m
    Highest tax take for decades
    Facilitating £bns of fraud
    Waiting lists >7m
    Waterway pollution massively increased
    and for the LDs
    "Royal Mail privatisation - another manifesto commitment delivered" collapse of the postal service

Labour 36%
    Tories 26%
    Reform 12%
    LibDems 12%
    Greens 6%
    SNP 3%
    Others 5%

The one I think that will be interesting is how much, if at all, Reform eats into the Labour vote in the Red Wall. I suppose it is possible that Labour could underperform on the vote share but without the Tories benefitting.
    There's an interesting new pattern possible IF Reform manage to win a few seats and get some second places to Labour in the East and Redwall - one where we're set up for 3 future political battlegrounds across England:

1. Labour vs Conservative in the M1 and M6 corridors, the West Midlands and parts of the South coast
    2. Lib Dem vs Conservative in the stockbroker belt and Wessex
    3. Labour vs Reform in the East Midlands, Lincs, Essex, North Kent and parts of the North / North East. Possibly parts of the Welsh Valleys too

Canada's Reform grew from a regional base. Our Reform's best chance of success is probably similar and I think something like the above is possible.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

All Tory voters. Headed over the cliff.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    Nigelb said:

POTD so far.
    TBF that isn't stopping some of us froim being well on the way to being blind drunk, judging from the posts so far.

Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

You haven't addressed any of the other issues because they are inarguable. Rejoin needs an incredible alignment of disparate factors to fall exactly into place, the UK has to want it AND the EU has to want it

Perhaps the biggest one is that cited in my comment. We will only as a nation want to Rejoin if the economy is really bad and the EU is doing well. If that is happening what government will ever spend tons of capital and energy on calling a referendum? And what will their pitch be: "we have really fucked things up, so vote to move power to Brussels, because we're useless"? I mean, the voters might do that, but I suggest the government in question will think Hell no

About the only time you may get a Rejoin referendum is in the first year of a Labour/Lib dem party with a massive majority, enjoying a honeymoon and lots of goodwill. The Tories and Reform will never come round to it. So basically for the next gnberaion it has to happen in the first year of THIS incoming government. It has to happen in 2025, as the following governments will have no such goodwill. Cf Blair and the euro - he could have pushed that through from about 1997-99, but he didn't so we never joined

Starmer has ruled out a new vote. So it's not happening on his watch

This already means it's off the cards til the 2040s-50s. And by then will it really matter? the world will have moved on as we adjust to life ruled by alien robot-gods, herding us into titanium mega-pods in Anglesey to keep us safe from global boiling
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

All Tory voters. Headed over the cliff.
    Lots of dinosaurs and other fossils at the base of the cliff. Just sayin'.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

That could be easily arranged. Next time you visit France, come back on a small boat.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,031
    edited July 4
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

Correct on the points. Nevertheless "We're stuffed but we're going to do nothing about it" isn't great rhetoric. Rhetoric matters.
    But of course that won't be the rhetoric. There will be moves towards an EFTA/EEA type of arrangment (or attempts at least) and ways to improve UK/EU relations well short of even thinking about Rejoin.

Starmer is again lucky in this. The uncertainty over the US commitments to Ukraine and wider Europe added to the changing face of some of the big countries like France mean the UK is regarded as an important ally, particularly by Eastern and Northern Europe. It won't necessarily make them 'friendly' (national self interest will always win out) but it does mean they are at least not actively hostile to the UK.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,410
    Dopermean said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

Would you boast about their "achievements"?
    Food bank dependency from 40k to over 3m
    Highest tax take for decades
    Facilitating £bns of fraud
    Waiting lists >7m
    Waterway pollution massively increased
    and for the LDs
    "Royal Mail privatisation - another manifesto commitment delivered" collapse of the postal service
    2p off NI (eventually) ;) & some childcare help
    (Eventually)
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,866

Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

The Tory party needs to be in favour of Rejoin before the EU would consider letting us back in. Let's see who makes it into the post election Tory ranks.
    edited July 4
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I've been twice. It has a lot of hills. And people. They really don't need, nor really can feed, any more. Tidiest, most law abiding, organised country in Africa. Just remember to say thank you to the president.

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

The Conservative Party have campaigned almost entirely on the failure of the Labour Party over the last 14 years and the next five. It would be interesting if they do get a caning from Reform after their Reformesque social and immigration policy offering.
    And when they haven't, they have campaigned on undoing the bad things done by their immediate Conservative predecessors.

No wonder the net legacy is so feeble. Gay marriage (which many of them didn't really want at the time) and a certain albatross that we won't name. That's about it.
  • AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,854

Voted Lib Dem (by proxy).

My mother just voted Labour for the first time ever - loyal tory voter in every general election since 1983. For her it was Truss the final factor, destroyed the Tory record for economic competence, and Sunak hasn't been able to improve on that. Dad still a tory though.

Yes, my mum switched Con > Lab - Liz Truss, the D-Day exit and the pressing need to get rid of George Galloway all factors.
    edited July 4

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Conceding already:

Rishi Sunak
    @RishiSunak
    ·
    48m
    ✅ Bring ID
    🇬🇧 Vote Conservative

No one believes Tory rhetoric on tax and migration any more, because they've lied to us about all this for fourteen years, in the most spectacular way. So their efforts are futile
    Hezbollah attacking Israeli military sites. Day one will be straight into crisis mode as Israel goes into Lebanon
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,473
    Anyway, as a distraction from being beseeched to vote for change indistinguishable from went before, I went to see The Bikeriders yesterday. Somewhat nervous as it could have been dog shit, but excellent, good performances and they got the aesthetic just right. Jodie Comer held the whole thing together, Austin Butler the young Achilles with a death wish (will he or won’t he?) and Tom Hardy the grizzled old warrior half in love with Achilles/Benny. Fantastic soundtrack which always helps.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,963

I believe this is what the young people call 'representing'. Let's see what Arundel thinks this morning! (Two reactions so far, both loved it)

The ones that don't like it won't react because of politeness.
    edited July 4

tlg86 said:

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley
    🚨
    @IpsosUK

Labour 37% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (nc)
    Reform UK 15% (nc)
    Lib Dems 11% (nc)
    Greens 9% (+2)

EC (I know) gives:

Con 69
    Lab 462
    LD 71
    Ref 7
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Others 20

on that Ipsos.
    I wonder if Ipsos is picking up a very late swing away from the conservatives here.
    If you had to find a rationale for those numbers you might well say that with the main result a foregone conclusion, some who would otherwise vote Con or Labour feel sufficiently liberated to vote for the Party they really like the most.
    Which chimes with YouGov's really rather striking recent finding that more than a quarter of today's Labour voters would prefer to be voting for someone else
This discussion has been closed.