Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Election night guide – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,388
    I think it’s traditional on election day to post our past voting records. Here’s mins

2015, 2017, 2019, 2024 - Kingston & Surbiton - Lib Dem
    2010 - Lambeth - Conservative
    2005 - Fulham & Chelsea - Labour

Missed our on voting in 2001 as I was U18 by a few days, but would probably have been Con
  • AbandonedHopeAbandonedHope Posts: 142
    So here goes...

Con 62
    Lab 470
    LD 71
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Northern Ireland 18

Lab Majority 290

The only reason I think it could be this bad for the Cons is the story yesterday about Richmond and Northallerton. If - and it's a big if - Sunak is genuinely concerned that he may lose his seat, that suggests devastating numbers and Ed Davey as LOTO. Three things go against Sunak in his seat at the moment: 1) the D-Day debacle; 2) the election of a Labour mayor for North Yorkshire; and 3) 14 years of Conservative government.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,980

FF43 said:

SKS's ratings improve AGAIN.

I am struggling to understand why the polls would be going down unless it was for tactical reasons, can anyone help me?

Reversion to the mean is finally happening. It will mitigate the Conservative loss a little.
    No i think its just labour voters switching to the greens in their safe seats.
    I shall stick to my view, which is that even though Tories will revert a little to being Tories, the amount of tactical voting where it matters will ensure a virtual wipeout (70 seats). Where it doesn't matter (Bootle and about 250 other seats, Maldon and about 3 other seats) people will mostly do what they usually do.

I'll know I am wrong by about 4 am.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,872
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I’ve got an election day lunch with my agent, at the Groucho Club. Feels right as we kiss goodbye to the last of the Tory good times: the Era of Opulence is giving way to a sad, pinched, leftier kind of life

Come the next election the Groucho will probably be a madrasa

I’ll see you all on the boats at Dover, heading out

Have you visited Rwanda? I think there may be some accommodation available at good rates.
    I would actually like to go to Rwanda - quite a lot. It is on my list, in one of the few regions of the world I do not know: central/west Africa, central Asia, central America. And Polynesia. I have basically been everywhere else
    I've been twice. It has a lot of hills. And people. They really don't need, nor really can feed, any more. Tidiest, most law abiding, organised country in Africa. Just remember to say thank you to the president.
    I've heard Uganda and Malawi aare beautiful but very poor and sad, especially the latter

I hear nothing but bad things - TBH - about west Africa, so I was intrigued to hear that @TimS is going to Dakar this winter

I hope to do a couple of the Stans in the near-ish future
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    It's interesting that on the spread-betting markets, the total seat numbers for the three main parties has held rock steady for a number of days now. The sell/buy prices are as follows:

...........................................................................Sell.......................Buy
    Labour Seats.........................................................421.......................429
    Conservative Seats................................................110.......................116
    LibDems Seats.......................................................61.........................64

The mid spread price for Labour seats as indicated above is 425 seats which is approximately 30 seats below the Baxterised average of around 450 - 460 indicated by yesterday's clutch of polls.
    Similarly the mid spread price for Tory seats as indicated above is 113 seats which is also approximately 30 seats in this instance above the Baxterised average ofaround 75 - 85 indicated by the same clutch of polls yesterday.
    So quite a difference exists between the prices quoted by the spread-betters and Baxter's very sophisticated ElectoralCalculus model. But the big question of course is who is right and who is wrong ... if we knew the answer to that one, we could all afford Carribean holidays!
    Perhaps the answer lies somewhere in the middle which would result in Labour winning 440 seats and the Tories winning 98 seats. All other things being equal this would result in Labour achieving an overall majority of around 230 seats which actually sounds about right to me!
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Assorted predictions
    1) there will be a Tory gain
    2) a Labour shadow cabinet minister will fall
    3) an Independent will win
    4) 7 different entities will place second in England in seats
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,167
    UK vote numerical forecast:

Lab 39%
    Con 22%
    LD 10%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 14%
    NI 3%
    SNP/PC 4%
    Ind/Oth 2%

Seats:

Con 70
    Lab 461
    LD 66
    PC/SNP 22
    Grn 3
    Ref 3
    Ind/Oth 6
    NI 18

So here goes...

Con 62
    Lab 470
    LD 71
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Northern Ireland 18

Lab Majority 290

The only reason I think it could be this bad for the Cons is the story yesterday about Richmond and Northallerton. If - and it's a big if - Sunak is genuinely concerned that he may lose his seat, that suggests devastating numbers and Ed Davey as LOTO. Three things go against Sunak in his seat at the moment: 1) the D-Day debacle; 2) the election of a Labour mayor for North Yorkshire; and 3) 14 years of Conservative government.

I am close to these figures, and think the LD v Tory numbers are within about 10, so could go either way. Also think Rishi will hold on.
    We're not imagining this. Labour could implode very fast

"The lack of enthusiasm for Labour at this election really is striking.

Among those who plan to vote Labour tomorrow, the party is much less well-liked than in 2019, 2017 or 2015 (no data before that).

Quite a flimsy voter coalition that could unravel in the absence of results."

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1808482446951797043
  • fencesitter2fencesitter2 Posts: 48
    Since lots of people are posting their predictions, here is mine:
    LAB 390
    CON 160
    LD 45
    SNP 25
    REF 6
    Others 6

Rationale for the relatively "high" CON figure:
    In the "blue wall" lack of or confused tactical voting will see a number of seats where (for example) CON 33-35% is enough to win against LD 28% LAB 22% or vice versa.

Similarly in the "red wall" a lot of 2019 CON voters will switch to REF rather than LAB leading to results like CON 35% and LAB 28% REF 22% (or vice versa).
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Dyed, I watched this video yesterday, Caspian Report, about the prospects of an Israel-Lebanon war. Might be of interest. 18 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ksp5N68Ko
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,993

Tewkesbury Update

Ladbrokes now have the LDs in to evens; Con still just holding on to favoritism at 8/13. Those who followed my advice should now lay off if they have not already done so.

It's simply too close to call.

Tewkesbury: I've backed Cons at 5/6 (Bet365).

I already hold bets on LDs at 20/1 and 9/2, so happy days.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,832

I am struggling to understand why the polls would be going down unless it was for tactical reasons, can anyone help me?

People looking at their actual candidates? We do after all not elect a PM, as so many have said. My labour candidate is a blow in from London who I could not vote for, so I went Lib Dem - a consultant at the local hospital.

Mr. Dyed, I watched this video yesterday, Caspian Report, about the prospects of an Israel-Lebanon war. Might be of interest. 18 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ksp5N68Ko

I'll give it a look, ta
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,461
    Not necessarily. Perhaps a vote for the Lib Dems.
    Pro_Rata said:

UK vote numerical forecast:

Lab 39%
    Con 22%
    LD 10%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 14%
    NI 3%
    SNP/PC 4%
    Ind/Oth 2%

Seats:

Con 70
    Lab 461
    LD 66
    PC/SNP 22
    Grn 3
    Ref 3
    Ind/Oth 6
    NI 18

Snap, almost exactly.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,315

Hezbollah attacking Israeli military sites. Day one will be straight into crisis mode as Israel goes into Lebanon

I guess they wont on a Friday evening, so Starmer gets to have a sandwich with the kids after all.
    My largest constituency bet on LDs in Honiton and Sidmouth, at 5/2.

LDs are now best-priced 1/2 but I'm letting my bet run.
    edited July 4

So here goes...

Con 62
    Lab 470
    LD 71
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Northern Ireland 18

Lab Majority 290

If the CONS go down to 62 and behind the LDs, I will have unwanted autonomous sexual incident
  • ukelectukelect Posts: 140
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

A long queue out the door, never seen it so brisk. The woman behind me was debating how best to defeat the Tory and hadn't made up her mind when it got to my turn to go in.

Are you Isle of Wight West or East ?
    East, even though the town wanted to be west
    Labour for both I think.
    East, I am not so sure. Last time's result and the MRP models say so. But Starmer blocked the local party from choosing a candidate and then relatively late imposed a disabled lesbian trans woman, relatively new to the island (stood in Sutton last time) on the seat, presumably to tick off some boxes for his candidate list, which has split the local Labour Party. On top of which, said candidate is as dull as ditchwater and answers every question in a dull monotone with extracts from the Labour manifesto. And she's a town councillor for Sandown which has the highest council tax on the island having hiked it by 50% in one year (the parish element) not long ago.

There's an active local primary campaign, which has endorsed the local Green candidate, who has a reasonable profile already, as its 'people's champion', and all the straw polls taken after hustings have put her ahead. The island has a reputation for paying more attention to the individual candidates than many seats. My town is covered in Green posters.

I know the local Tory is delighted and thinks the opposition split will see him through the middle. And he may well be right. Although Reform has a lot of support on social media and may also poll strongly, given the local demographic.
    Very interesting information. I shall watch out for the Isle of Wight East result - the Isle of Wight is where I grew up, and I certainly do remember that it pays attention to the candidates and likes to be a bit different. And isn't that fond of candidates imposed by a national (London) authority.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,999
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I’ve got an election day lunch with my agent, at the Groucho Club. Feels right as we kiss goodbye to the last of the Tory good times: the Era of Opulence is giving way to a sad, pinched, leftier kind of life

Have you visited Rwanda? I think there may be some accommodation available at good rates.
    I would actually like to go to Rwanda - quite a lot. It is on my list, in one of the few regions of the world I do not know: central/west Africa, central Asia, central America. And Polynesia. I have basically been everywhere else
    I've been twice. It has a lot of hills. And people. They really don't need, nor really can feed, any more. Tidiest, most law abiding, organised country in Africa. Just remember to say thank you to the president.
    I've heard Uganda and Malawi aare beautiful but very poor and sad, especially the latter

I hear nothing but bad things - TBH - about west Africa, so I was intrigued to hear that @TimS is going to Dakar this winter

Yes, a short trip - a few days in Dakar then the ferry down to the Casamance region, used to be a no-go area but now peaceful and supposedly beautiful. Paddling around in pirogues and staying in mud huts. They are animists down there.

I shall make sure to post some mini-travelogues and pictures of drinks on terraces.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    edited July 4
    If Rishi accidentally gets over the line despite his wish to only "Stop a Labour supermajority" do you think he'll let Starmer have a go, baggsies no swaps on the basis he wasn't going for the win - like declaring you're going for the yellow in snooker and fluking the green when you're on a colour :D ?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,317
    Leon said:

Among those who plan to vote Labour tomorrow, the party is much less well-liked than in 2019, 2017 or 2015 (no data before that).

We might see five parties poll between 10 and 29% in the 2029 general election. Good luck predicting the seat distribution that would lead to.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    1992 - Delyn - Labour
    1997 - Somerton & Frome - Labour
    2001, 2005, 2010 - Yeovil - Labour
    2015, 2017 - Southampton Test - Labour
    2019 - Ealing Central and Acton - Labour
    2024 - Southampton Itchen - Labour
    (I have voted for other parties in local elections but when it comes to national elections I'm like the red-rosette version of Big G)

This may be the first time in my life that I'm going to vote for the winner in my constituency and the party that wins nationally.
    viewcode said:

If you really want to watch well-spoken twentysomethings duckspeaking polls at each other, the "TLDR Podcast" crew are doing exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5Q0vnNLVU

Duckspeaking? WTF?

LAB 390
    CON 160
    LD 45
    SNP 25
    REF 6
    Others 6

In the "blue wall" lack of or confused tactical voting will see a number of seats where (for example) CON 33-35% is enough to win against LD 28% LAB 22% or vice versa.

Similarly in the "red wall" a lot of 2019 CON voters will switch to REF rather than LAB leading to results like CON 35% and LAB 28% REF 22% (or vice versa).

Interesting. It would be useful if people making predictions could announce their voting intention at the same time, then we will know if it is possibly tainted by hopecasting, or - I'm gonna invent a new word - "dreadcasting"

Labour voters are specially prone to dreadcasting: they can't quite believe they are gonna win big, so they dreadcast, they predict a surprisingly good result for the Tories. Like people warding off bad voodoo with placatory offerings of blood
    Sleep tips on BBC website:

"Nap-pros have perfected the art of “pre-loading” and this comes expert-recommended.

The idea is if you have a coffee immediately before your 20-minute nap (set a timer on your phone) and then the caffeine hits its peak just as the nap ends, you’re perky and ready to go as soon as you wake up.

“It’s a good idea,” says Prof Foster [sleep expert] "

edited July 4
    Exmouth and Exeter East:

Odds have travelled a long way in this three-way constituency.

I've just taken some on Cons at 9/5 with Bet365 to hedge my 7/1 on LibDems, so I'm banking on Lab not making it.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,913

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

Laura Kuennsberg is “hearing of a surprise late swing to the Tories, with hung parliament now in sight”.

Perhaps those of us who are keen on reversing Brexit think his offer of not reversing it in his lifetime was rather off putting
    And perhaps if Labour win a landslide majority those of you who obsess over Brexit are politically insignificant then?
    Went down like a bucket of sick on the doorsteps of affirmed supporters last night, it will be apparent what effect it has in 18 hours.
    No one wants to obsess about Brexit apart from those misguided people who wanted it, it just f**ks up significant aspects of our lives, As it was obvious it would do. Sorry, I forgot, "Big Thanks",
    Isn’t the whole point of Starmer that he only promises what he can deliver? I believe it is - and I actually admire him for that. Its one reason I will be eagerly voting for him before I emigrate

And, whatever your views, Rejoin is not practical politics. It’s just not going to happen. Think about everything that has to fall into place

In Britain you’d need five years of solid polls clamouring for rejoin. These polls would have to show acceptance of the euro, free movement, everything. No pm will risk a vote they might lose

So the government that offers the poll will also have to be popular. And Britain will have to be suffering AT THE SAME TIME - so people want this huge change. Think about THAT

Then you need the EU to agree. Negotiations could take a decade. At any time a veto could happen from any country. Spain might demand Gibraltar. On and on

It’s absurd and it is never going to happen - no one will want to expend the political capital and take the endless risk - Sir Kir Royale Starmer is simply telling you the truth. Sorry
    Correct on the points. Nevertheless "We're stuffed but we're going to do nothing about it" isn't great rhetoric. Rhetoric matters.
    But of course that won't be the rhetoric. There will be moves towards an EFTA/EEA type of arrangment (or attempts at least) and ways to improve UK/EU relations well short of even thinking about Rejoin.

Starmer is again lucky in this. The uncertainty over the US commitments to Ukraine and wider Europe added to the changing face of some of the big countries like France mean the UK is regarded as an important ally, particularly by Eastern and Northern Europe. It won't necessarily make them 'friendly' (national self interest will always win out) but it does mean they are at least not actively hostile to the UK.
    I think there is some damage limitation available to Starmer and maybe he'll do it. But a "we are where we are" rhetoric is better than "stuff you" when most people think Brexit is a mistake.

Starmer isn't good at rhetoric and that's a weakness for a politician.
    Farooq said:

People looking at their actual candidates? We do after all not elect a PM, as so many have said. My labour candidate is a blow in from London who I could not vote for, so I went Lib Dem - a consultant at the local hospital.
    So you're voting for your hospital to lose a key member of staff? YOU MONSTER.
    Genuinely will feel a bit of sorrow for that, but I imagine he might keep his hand in!
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,247

viewcode said:

If you really want to watch well-spoken twentysomethings duckspeaking polls at each other, the "TLDR Podcast" crew are doing exactly that.

Duckspeaking? WTF?
    Orwell or Huxley, I think.
    edited July 4

viewcode said:

Duckspeaking? WTF?
    It's from Orwell's 1984, it means parroting rehearsed, received thoughts, which you don't truly understand or believe, like a duck repetitively quacking
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 388
    edited July 4
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=xUBYzpCNQ1I

For some reason, I got this buzzin' round my head for the first time since, well, ~2010.
    Pulpstar said:

If Rishi accidentally gets over the line despite his wish to only "Stop a Labour supermajority" do you think he'll let Starmer have a go, baggsies no swaps on the basis he wasn't going for the win - like declaring you're going for the yellow in snooker and fluking the green when you're on a colour :D ?

No it confirms to him his impeccable record as PM and his inch-perfect campaign. And to be honest, when it happens, he is perfectly entitled to spin it that way.

Them's the breaks. And Starmer gets to relax at six every evening with his family.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Yes, a short trip - a few days in Dakar then the ferry down to the Casamance region, used to be a no-go area but now peaceful and supposedly beautiful. Paddling around in pirogues and staying in mud huts. They are animists down there.

I shall make sure to post some mini-travelogues and pictures of drinks on terraces.
    Not that I'm competitive or anything, but I am determined to go somewhere even more exotic than that, as you do it, to prove I am more virile or clever or whatever the fuck, but mainly because I is idiot

But: enjoy!

viewcode said:

Duckspeaking? WTF?
    Never heard it or seen it used until today. As ever, thank you PB for an education.*

*Should PB be on the national curriculum?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914

Voted! And done some street politics with passing mums heading up to school. Hot topic local issue - save the library.

Has anyone suggested the aggressive ultra extremist method to save the library?

AKA people using it?
    We ARE using it. The council budget keeps getting cut year on year as their costs on statutory services goes up. They're faced with the need to provide library services but not being able to afford to switch the lights on. Our library is down to 6 hours a week as it is.

Officers (its always the officers) genuinely asking us if there are other places that could be used to put a library. There are not. The fightback is by pushing them to provide the statutory services that have already been cut such as youth services, and put them into the building.

A bit of cash spent - to replace all the florescent lights with LEDs and replace the storage heaters with energy efficient heat pump - would slash operating costs. But they don't have the money to invest in that either.

This isn't even party political at a micro scale - every council is slashing services because the system itself is broken. Which is why I am running for election - we need to make a more fundamental change than tinkering around the edges. What legacy are we bequeathing to my kids when everything we once had it being scrapped because we can't afford it? How can we afford not to have a bus service or libraries or youth work or public toilets or a GP surgery with GPs in it or the police?

Bloody Tories know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    SNP are going to win in your seat though?
  • FlannerFlanner Posts: 437

Final forecast::
    Labour 36%
    Tories 26%
    Reform 12%
    LibDems 12%
    Greens 6%
    SNP 3%
    Others 5%

Thinking - It's clear Labour is beginning to lose vote share in three ways - DKs going to the Tories, tactical voting and to the Greens and Independents. The Tories almost always outperform their polling. Reform almost always underperforms theirs.

The one I thing that will be interesting is how much, if at all, Reform eats into the Labour vote in the Red Wall. I suppose it is possible that Labour could underperform on the vote share but without the Tories benefitting.
    "Reform almost always underperforms [their polling]" said Southam Observer.
    Which is probably the silliest thing I've read since the last speech from Johnson. At EVERY SINGLE by-election since the launch of Reform, it's gained a significantly lower share of votes cast than it got in any polls published beforehand. It's scarcely competed in any locals - except this year when it won just 2 of the over 300 seats it had a candidate in.

There is an almost-credible theory going round about "shy Reform supporters" - for which there's no evidence at all either way, except a few anecdotes . The theory might turn out to be accurate - but if it does, Reform's performance in this election will go completely against the past few years. Not impossible: the hoo-hah Reform's created around itself (with a bit of help from neurotic Tory fanboys and fangirls) may well have made up foe Reform's cringe-worthily amateur campaigning skills.

Whether that's true or not we won't know till tomorrow morning. Till then it's just a theory devoid of evidence.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,691
    edited July 4
    I will tactically vote Labour today in Pembrokeshire rather than my usual Lib Dem Vote. It will probably cancel out my wife's Tory vote, but I'm not sure. I just hope that the favour will be returned in other places. I am not scared of Starmer being Prime Minister, and I am disgusted with the way the Tories have ruled during the last 5 years. The final Tory emails about Labour have been outrageous, Trumpian but sadly not unexpected.

I suspect the result will be LibDem 45/50, Tory 120/130, Ref 4/5, SNP 20/25, Lab 410/420
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

Raducanu is a grammar school girl. Tory.

She's got a 992 GTS vert so that's fully sick.
    It's refreshing to see a celeb who, rather than confessing to wanting world peace or an end to hunger as a child, says they always dreamed of owning a Porsche 911.
    Which of course she still doesn’t. It’s a Porsche press car, on loan to her as part of a sponsorship agreement.

I’d also say I always dreamed of a 911, if saying so meant that Porsche loaned me one for free.
    Even celebs who can easily afford it for that type of thing though.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Not that I'm competitive or anything, but I am determined to go somewhere even more exotic than that, as you do it, to prove I am more virile or clever or whatever the fuck, but mainly because I is idiot

Go to Rhyl. Off the beaten track of most global adventurers. Real exotic bragging rights.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    Leon said:

Surely a lack of enthusiasm for Labour is a good thing with regard to the longevity of their government. It means that people have no great expectations to be dashed and Labour can only really surprise on the upside.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,740
    edited July 4

Tewkesbury Update

Ladbrokes now have the LDs in to evens; Con still just holding on to favoritism at 8/13. Those who followed my advice should now lay off if they have not already done so.

I have that as one of my fun money picks at about a £20 stake.

At the risk of damaging my non-existent PB-credibility-fu, where would one lay it off?

I can see it on PBX or another exchange in chunks of about £1, or backing the alternative. Do we have other options?
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

A long queue out the door, never seen it so brisk. The woman behind me was debating how best to defeat the Tory and hadn't made up her mind when it got to my turn to go in.

I see the dog, but where's the polling queue for scale ?
    All Tory voters. Headed over the cliff.
    Lots of dinosaurs and other fossils at the base of the cliff. Just sayin'.
    And yet still slimmer pickings than there used to be.
    edited July 4
    Leon said:

LAB 390
    CON 160
    LD 45
    SNP 25
    REF 6
    Others 6

Interesting. It would be useful if people making predictions could announce their voting intention at the same time, then we will know if it is possibly tainted by hopecasting, or - I'm gonna invent a new word - "dreadcasting"

Labour voters are specially prone to dreadcasting: they can't quite believe they are gonna win big, so they dreadcast, they predict a surprisingly good result for the Tories. Like people warding off bad voodoo with placatory offerings of blood
    A good many of our regular posters will be only too happy if nobody records their predictions.

As soon as the polls close, the Site's Enforcers will be rounding up all those who gaily predicted NOM for all and sundry to view.

The show trials should begin within a week.
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

We might see five parties poll between 10 and 29% in the 2029 general election. Good luck predicting the seat distribution that would lead to.
    I don't think that's at all likely. Labour, Lib Dems, Reform, Greens, but who's the fifth?
    Yes. It's a bit of a stretch, but I am forecasting that the Tories will keep their support above 10% for the GE after this one.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,499
    edited July 4
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I have a friend who has done many of them, and raves about her travels there. You do have to have an interest in and admire Islamic culture, which isn't exactly your strong point

Uganda is scenic but chaotic and corrupt, and is likely what Rwanda would be like without the RPF
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

I see the dog, but where's the polling queue for scale ?
    All Tory voters. Headed over the cliff.
    Lots of dinosaurs and other fossils at the base of the cliff. Just sayin'.
    And yet still slimmer pickings than there used to be.
    Just wait for the next landslide!
  • ManOfGwentManOfGwent Posts: 52

I will tactically vote Labour today in Pembrokeshire rather than my usual Lib Dem Vote. It will probably cancel out my wife's Tory vote, but I'm not sure. I just hope that the favour will be returned in other places. I am not scared of Starmer being Prime Minister, but I am disgusted with the way the Tories have ruled during the last 5 years. The final Tory emails about Labour have been outrageous, Trumpian but sadly not unexpected.

I have just voted Tory in Monmouth. Probably won't make a difference looks like a Labour gain, but I cannot vote Labour with the shambles they have made of Wales. Labour in power at Westminster and Cardiff Bay, an embarrassment of riches awaits us...
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Duckspeaking? WTF?
    It's from Orwell's 1984, it means parroting rehearsed, received thoughts, which you don't truly understand or believe, like a duck repetitively quacking
    I don't recall that one, but it is a handy descriptor of 90% of political commentary.

Not my own obviously.

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I don't think that's at all likely. Labour, Lib Dems, Reform, Greens, but who's the fifth?
    Yes. It's a bit of a stretch, but I am forecasting that the Tories will keep their support above 10% for the GE after this one.
    Could come back like the Canadian Tories, could go the way of Les Republicains. Tough to predict.
    algarkirk said:

So here goes...

Con 62
    Lab 470
    LD 71
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Northern Ireland 18

Lab Majority 290

I am close to these figures, and think the LD v Tory numbers are within about 10, so could go either way. Also think Rishi will hold on.
    I agree. The LDs win 10 fewer seats, Reform only pick up 2, the Cons get 20 seats extra and you're talking about a smaller (though far from insignificant) Labour majority and the Cons squeaking 100 seats. I think Sunak will win his seat but by the smallest of margins (and a recount).

Seems obvious to me that if the PM loses his seat then it's almost guaranteed that the Cons will switch places with the LDs.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,600

Leon said:

LAB 390
    CON 160
    LD 45
    SNP 25
    REF 6
    Others 6

A good many of our regular posters will be only too happy if nobody records their predictions.

As soon as the polls close, the Site's Enforces will be rounding up all those who gaily predicted NOM for all and sundry to view.

You're just heading for an epic win in @Benpointer contest (I went NOM in that, not believing the Tories will be so hopeless).

This is my eve of poll forecast. I voted LD.

Lab 424
    Con127
    LD 49
    SNP 22
    Gr 2
    PC 3
    REF 2
    OTH 3
    NI 18

Turnout 61%

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,379

viewcode said:

Duckspeaking? WTF?
    Never heard it or seen it used until today. As ever, thank you PB for an education.*

*Should PB be on the national curriculum?
    Hence the expression "he's talking Double Ducks" ? 😏
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,350
    algarkirk said:

As everyone is doing it, here is my prediction:

CON: 123
    LAB: 414
    LD: 63
    REF: 2
    GREEN: 3
    SNP: 22
    PC: 3
    OTH: 20.

A truly terrrrrible night for the Tories but they avoid the sub-100 humiliation. Kier just misses out on the Blair 1997 score.

Lab 460 40%
    Con 70 23%
    LD 60 11%

all approx
    OK, I'll go with:
    Lab 414
    Con 144
    LD 41
    SNP 21
    .. etc.
    edited July 4
    Really does look like imminent major war in northern Israel. And Hezbollah are much more capable than Hamas

"60 minutes during which Hezbollah’s attacks did not stop for a single moment in all regions of the Golan and Galilee"

https://x.com/GlobalInfoFact/status/1808790179018092692

Israel cannot tolerate this, as it makes the northern slice of the country uninhabitable, as much as the southern chunk is endangered by Gaza. It now becomes existential as the part of Israel that remains liveable gets smaller and smaller

I expect Israel to go all-in on Hezbollah. It is a massive risk but they have no choice

I wonder if this was the Iran/Hez/Hamas plan all along. Tempt Israel into a grotesque war in Gaza, and let them lose all public sympathy (and expend vast amounts of blood and treasure). And then force them into ANOTHER war as they exhaustedly end the first

Leon said:

Surely a lack of enthusiasm for Labour is a good thing with regard to the longevity of their government. It means that people have no great expectations to be dashed and Labour can only really surprise on the upside.
    I think it means that Labour will not receive the benefit of the doubt for as many mistakes that they make as otherwise.
    Leon said:

So here goes...

Con 62
    Lab 470
    LD 71
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Northern Ireland 18

Lab Majority 290

If the CONS go down to 62 and behind the LDs, I will have unwanted autonomous sexual incident
    There's always somebody to lower the tone :D
  • James_MJames_M Posts: 103
    On Rishi Sunak's seat, remember in the York and North Yorkshire Mayoral election, the Conservatives won the North Yorkshire part of the area. It was only by a few thousand votes and was outnumbered by the York majority for Labour, but the county actually stayed blue.

I will tactically vote Labour today in Pembrokeshire rather than my usual Lib Dem Vote. It will probably cancel out my wife's Tory vote, but I'm not sure. I just hope that the favour will be returned in other places. I am not scared of Starmer being Prime Minister, but I am disgusted with the way the Tories have ruled during the last 5 years. The final Tory emails about Labour have been outrageous, Trumpian but sadly not unexpected.

I have just voted Tory in Monmouth. Probably won't make a difference looks like a Labour gain, but I cannot vote Labour with the shambles they have made of Wales. Labour in power at Westminster and Cardiff Bay, an embarrassment of riches awaits us...
    Fair point, I don't disagree vis a vis Wales, but I am more concerned with Westminster today.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,908
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

I’m going to treat myself to a little bottle of supermarket whisky for tonights celebrations before Keith taxes my income into oblivion. Any suggestions?

If it's not a single malt, then Famous Grouse perhaps.
    Black Label is drinkable
    Morning, Malky! Still sunny if windy here on the east side.
    Morning Carnyx, windy here also and alternating sun/chucking it down , just what is expected in school holidays. Have had to use heating a few times recently it has been so bleak, been shocking weather so far.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310

Leon said:

I think it means that Labour will not receive the benefit of the doubt for as many mistakes that they make as otherwise.
    They do get to blame things on the Tories for a fair while though. Ten years or thereabouts seems to be the going rate.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I have been to Angola. But only on a boat trip on whatever river constitutes the border with Namibia and only for long enough to be photographed holding a big sign saying ILLEGALLY IN ANGOLA. Bit silly in retrospect.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,297
    James_M said:

On Rishi Sunak's seat, remember in the York and North Yorkshire Mayoral election, the Conservatives won the North Yorkshire part of the area. It was only by a few thousand votes and was outnumbered by the York majority for Labour, but the county actually stayed blue.

Much of it has been Donkey in a Blue Rosette country, to be fair. If Sunak's out then it really is end of days, I'd say.
    edited July 4
    1. 150
    2. 100
    3. 100
    4. 300
    5. 200
    6. 0

How big:
    7. 30000
    8. 25000

How small:
    9. 19
    10. 3000
    11. 24

How many:
    12. 13
    13. 150
    14. 400
    15. 45
    16. 17
    17. 7
    18. 5
    19. 57

What percentage vote:
    20. 25%
    21. 13%
    22. 35%
    23. 37%
    24. 43%
    25. 85%

@Farooq
    edited July 4

Farooq said:

Leon said:

It's Burn-Murdoch, imo a man with a tendency to over-extrapolate his socks off beyond the weight his data will bear, as per somewhat normal.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,971

Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Roger said:

Laura Kuennsberg is “hearing of a surprise late swing to the Tories, with hung parliament now in sight”.

Perhaps those of us who are keen on reversing Brexit think his offer of not reversing it in his lifetime was rather off putting
    And perhaps if Labour win a landslide majority those of you who obsess over Brexit are politically insignificant then?
    Went down like a bucket of sick on the doorsteps of affirmed supporters last night, it will be apparent what effect it has in 18 hours.
    No one wants to obsess about Brexit apart from those misguided people who wanted it, it just f**ks up significant aspects of our lives, As it was obvious it would do. Sorry, I forgot, "Big Thanks",
    Isn’t the whole point of Starmer that he only promises what he can deliver? I believe it is - and I actually admire him for that. Its one reason I will be eagerly voting for him before I emigrate

And, whatever your views, Rejoin is not practical politics. It’s just not going to happen. Think about everything that has to fall into place

In Britain you’d need five years of solid polls clamouring for rejoin. These polls would have to show acceptance of the euro, free movement, everything. No pm will risk a vote they might lose

So the government that offers the poll will also have to be popular. And Britain will have to be suffering AT THE SAME TIME - so people want this huge change. Think about THAT

Then you need the EU to agree. Negotiations could take a decade. At any time a veto could happen from any country. Spain might demand Gibraltar. On and on

It’s absurd and it is never going to happen - no one will want to expend the political capital and take the endless risk - Sir Kir Royale Starmer is simply telling you the truth. Sorry
    It's easy, you just need to say 'Bring back Free Movement with the EU to drastically reduce immigration. The Tories ended Free Movement and immigration skyrocketed.'

Not that personally think immigration's a bad thing. But the drip, drip, rip of the right-wing media over decades has poisoned the well.

In the age of digital payments, once the Boomers have gone no-one will care about pound notes.
    The Tory party needs to be in favour of Rejoin before the EU would consider letting us back in. Let's see who makes it into the post election Tory ranks.
    Indeed. There is also the problem that the cycles for the UK and EU are decoupling rapidly. hence UK construction upswing, EU downswing. Getting back in will be like jumping from a trapeze- it needs a matched cycle.

Of course when we jumped off, we ended up hitting the floor.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I have a friend who has done many of them, and raves about her travels there. You do have to have an interest in and admire Islamic culture, which isn't exactly your strong point

Uganda is scenic but chaotic and corrupt, and is likely what Rwanda would be like without the RPF
    Don't be ridiculous. The fact I believe migration of conservative Muslims into the UK is a net negative has no bearing on my interest in Islamic countries. I've been to most of them, from Morocco to Indonesia, from Syria to Lebanon, from Turkey to Malaysia, from Azerbaijan to the UAE, and from Zanzibar to Sarajevo

I actually LIVED in Egypt for a while, back when Cairo was tolerable
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,031
    My record:

Newark

1988 - Tory
    1992 - Spoiled ballot
    1997 - Referendum
    2001 - Tory (Candidate was a personal friend)
    2005 - Tory (same again)

Sleaford & North Hykham

2010 - UKIP
    2016 - Lincolnshire Independent
    2016 (By election) - Lincolnshire Independent
    2017 - Spoiled ballot
    2019 - Spoiled ballot
    2024 - ??? Probably spoiled ballot again. The Independents don't really inspire me theis time.
    Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Could come back like the Canadian Tories, could go the way of Les Republicains. Tough to predict.
    If they avoid merger with the Faragists, then their councillor base should create a lot of inertia. The Labour unpopularity I expect will also win a few votes, even in a worst-case scenario where they lose more to both Reform and Lib Dems and enter a death spiral.
    viewcode said:

I believe this is what the young people call 'representing'. Let's see what Arundel thinks this morning! (Two reactions so far, both loved it)

The ones that don't like it won't react because of politeness.
    It's brave expressing a political view as a business; you can lose customers for a long time

Should Starmer become Prime Minister one of his earliest interventions is to deal with Gething. He needs to be as ruthless as he was with Corbyn.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Short day at work today. Have overcome my extreme cynicism of earlier in the year and gone to the polling station, so that's done. I was the only punter but that's probably not surprising at this time of the morning. Weather is nice and the seat is also competitive for the first time in decades, which might aid turnout. Anyway, now we wait.
    Leon said:

Really does look like imminent major war in northern Israel. And Hezbollah are much more capable than Hamas

"60 minutes during which Hezbollah’s attacks did not stop for a single moment in all regions of the Golan and Galilee"

https://x.com/GlobalInfoFact/status/1808790179018092692

Israel cannot tolerate this, as it makes the northern slice of the country uninhabitable, as much as the southern chunk is endangered by Gaza. It now becomes existential as the part of Israel that remains liveable gets smaller and smaller

I expect Israel to go all-in on Hezbollah. It is a massive risk but they have no choice

I wonder if this was the Iran/Hez/Hamas plan all along. Tempt Israel into a grotesque war in Gaza, and let them lose all public sympathy (and expend vast amounts of blood and treasure). And then force them into ANOTHER war as they exhaustedly end the first

Going into Gaza with no exit strategy was predicted by many to be a disaster for Israel.
    edited July 4

algarkirk said:

A truly terrrrrible night for the Tories but they avoid the sub-100 humiliation. Kier just misses out on the Blair 1997 score.

Lab 460 40%
    Con 70 23%
    LD 60 11%

all approx
    OK, I'll go with:
    Lab 414
    Con 144
    LD 41
    SNP 21
    .. etc.
    ...are your 1 and 4 keys stuck on your keyboard?...
    https://x.com/Beyond_Topline/status/1808777515147641046?s=19
    About those improving SKS stats........
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

LAB 390
    CON 160
    LD 45
    SNP 25
    REF 6
    Others 6

As soon as the polls close, the Site's Enforces will be rounding up all those who gaily predicted NOM for all and sundry to view.

You're just heading for an epic win in @Benpointer contest (I went NOM in that, not believing the Tories will be so hopeless).

This is my eve of poll forecast. I voted LD.

Lab 424
    Con127
    LD 49
    SNP 22
    Gr 2
    PC 3
    REF 2
    OTH 3
    NI 18

Turnout 61%

You will likely get a reduced sentence for fessing up promptly. Others are likely to be less lucky.

That prediction looks ok. I'd put my own up but it is almost completely congruent with the Sporting Index spreads, so no need to.
    edited July 4

Leon said:

They do get to blame things on the Tories for a fair while though. Ten years or thereabouts seems to be the going rate.
    Perhaps. I am expecting the public to be impatient, but perhaps they are looking forward to being able to ignore politics for a few years, and so Labour will get a free pass on that basis.

Should Starmer become Prime Minister one of his earliest interventions is to deal with Gething. He needs to be as ruthless as he was with Corbyn.
    Nah, it's Wales, he can let them do their thing and know it'll vote Labour next time too.
    Wow. What is that? Is it is his Never Never Never to the EU? Something else?

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

If they avoid merger with the Faragists, then their councillor base should create a lot of inertia. The Labour unpopularity I expect will also win a few votes, even in a worst-case scenario where they lose more to both Reform and Lib Dems and enter a death spiral.
    They could do with a couple earlyish by elections as opposition in winnable seats (say after a year or so) - there should be plenty of 'winnables' from the mass loss
    edited July 4
    ukelect said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Are you Isle of Wight West or East ?
    East, even though the town wanted to be west
    Labour for both I think.
    East, I am not so sure. Last time's result and the MRP models say so. But Starmer blocked the local party from choosing a candidate and then relatively late imposed a disabled lesbian trans woman, relatively new to the island (stood in Sutton last time) on the seat, presumably to tick off some boxes for his candidate list, which has split the local Labour Party. On top of which, said candidate is as dull as ditchwater and answers every question in a dull monotone with extracts from the Labour manifesto. And she's a town councillor for Sandown which has the highest council tax on the island having hiked it by 50% in one year (the parish element) not long ago.

There's an active local primary campaign, which has endorsed the local Green candidate, who has a reasonable profile already, as its 'people's champion', and all the straw polls taken after hustings have put her ahead. The island has a reputation for paying more attention to the individual candidates than many seats. My town is covered in Green posters.

I know the local Tory is delighted and thinks the opposition split will see him through the middle. And he may well be right. Although Reform has a lot of support on social media and may also poll strongly, given the local demographic.
    Very interesting information. I shall watch out for the Isle of Wight East result - the Isle of Wight is where I grew up, and I certainly do remember that it pays attention to the candidates and likes to be a bit different. And isn't that fond of candidates imposed by a national (London) authority.
    The problem I have is that there are very strong arguments why each of the four of them won't win. The only certainty is that the LibDems will be fifth or worse (there's a local indy standing to fly the flag for the landslips affecting the south of the island. Fly the flag against them, that is; a true anti-landslide campaign!)

Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

You could be right. On the other hand wasn't this the narrative in 1997.

Conservative hubris is remarkable. I remember circa 1986/1987 articles in the Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph pondering who would be the Tory Prime Ministers during their 5th, 6th and 7th terms.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,017
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Itinerary: various Hanseatic League towns - there's a big choice over many countries, including several gems that aren't well-known in the UK. Free bullshit political angle: the Hanseatic League was like the EU, eventually failed because of lack of clear power structures/proper military and actual countries got fed up with them interfering in their trade. Greifswald is also where Nord Stream ended (near enough), to tie in with another of your interests.

algarkirk said:

Lab 460 40%
    Con 70 23%
    LD 60 11%

all approx
    OK, I'll go with:
    Lab 414
    Con 144
    LD 41
    SNP 21
    .. etc.
    ...are your 1 and 4 keys stuck on your keyboard?...
    Perhaps he's cloven hoofed?

On the upside that means he is of the order Artiodactyla (even-toed ungulates).

On the downside that means he is potential lunch for followers of Abrahamic religions.
    edited July 4
    Leon said:

Empty suit and he's shown it in this campaign. He's just against an emptier one.
    His refusal to offer any vision is costing him time off any honeymoon.
    This really is a massive drop for Skyr Toolmakersson

If it bleeds across into Labour votes, the PB lefty dreadcasters may be proven correct

MattW said:

Tewkesbury Update

I have that as one of my fun money picks at about a £20 stake.

At the risk of damaging my non-existent PB-credibility-fu, where would one lay it off?

I can see it on PBX or another exchange in chunks of about £1, or backing the alternative. Do we have other options?
    For that amount you are probably best off finding somebody you know to take the other side. If you can't find anyone drop me an email - arklebar@gmail.com and I'll give you the quoted odds.

I assume you will want the 8/13 to cover the score you had on the LD? (What odds did you get on him, btw? I got some at 7s,but mostly he was 9/2 until a few days ago.)
  • TimmycoolTimmycool Posts: 15
    I'm on the Lib Dems in North Dorset at 66/1 thanks to TSE et al. Now in to 13/2. Anyone on the ground there with an update?
    Meanwhile...

CNN:

No president has ever needed a public holiday like Joe Biden needs July 4.

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,963

viewcode said:

Duckspeaking? WTF?
    It means "The unthinking or casual repetition of received ideas.". Coined in "1984" by Orwell. See https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/duckspeak

I like TLDR (the youtube channel, not the concept) but in cases like this they cannot have insider knowledge and so are reduced to repeating polls and adding "gut feeling". It's a bit rude of me to characterise them such, but I'm annoyed by the rise of podcasts - which just means two or more people talking bollocks and getting paid for it - and prefer scripted lectures designed to be delivered to an audience.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,971

algarkirk said:

So here goes...

Con 62
    Lab 470
    LD 71
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Northern Ireland 18

Lab Majority 290

I agree. The LDs win 10 fewer seats, Reform only pick up 2, the Cons get 20 seats extra and you're talking about a smaller (though far from insignificant) Labour majority and the Cons squeaking 100 seats. I think Sunak will win his seat but by the smallest of margins (and a recount).

Seems obvious to me that if the PM loses his seat then it's almost guaranteed that the Cons will switch places with the LDs.
    Yes. I don´t buy this.

The Tories will be comfortably above 120. The Lib Dems will be happy enough to break 40 and return to being given third place in the Commons business. Reform will struggle to get their two and the Greens their three.

However, the electorate is pretty pissed off, and this is the final warning for the current system.
  • BobSykesBobSykes Posts: 46

My record:

Newark

1988 - Tory
    1992 - Spoiled ballot
    1997 - Referendum
    2005 - Tory (same again)

Sleaford & North Hykham

2010 - UKIP
    2017 - Spoiled ballot
    2019 - Spoiled ballot
    2024 - ??? Probably spoiled ballot again. The Independents don't really inspire me theis time.

Having first voted in GE97 (Warwick and Leamimgton - safe Tory, went Labour for first time in its history) I finally managed to vote for a winning candidate (Tory) in 2019. He then defected to Labour 18 months later....! (Wakeford, Bury South).

I voted Tory again this morning (with zero enthusiasm and air of resignation) for a candidate I didn't even know the name of until I saw the ballot paper and have had zero election comms from. Not a single Tory leaflet or door knock. Indeed only Labour and English Democrats posted anything through at all.

Leon said:

Empty suit and he's shown it in this campaign. He's just against an emptier one.
    His refusal to offer any vision is costing him time off any honeymoon.

I am praying that translates into a LAB > REF surge. Unlikely, but a man can dream
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,058

Meanwhile...

CNN:

No president has ever needed a public holiday like Joe Biden needs July 4.

He remembers the original, of course. Or at least he does on one of his good days.
    Farooq said:

@James_M and @IanB2, answers recorded, thanks

Can you post the questions again :)
    Leon said:

This really is a massive drop for Skyr Toolmakersson

If it bleeds across into Labour votes, the PB lefty dreadcasters may be proven correct

Cowards Never prosper. Fuck the ming vase, offer a vision

My record:

Newark

1988 - Tory
    1992 - Spoiled ballot
    1997 - Referendum
    2005 - Tory (same again)

Sleaford & North Hykham

2010 - UKIP
    2017 - Spoiled ballot
    2019 - Spoiled ballot

There's some funny people in those Lincs Indy's
This discussion has been closed.