Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,050
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories have about 18 hours to do a deal with RefUK, whereby they offer to stand down in about 100 seats where Reform are strongest in return for the party standing down in favour of the Tories in the other constituencies.

Leading to a post-election merger, and Farage as LOTO?

While I can understand some voters being up for that, is it what grassroots Conservative members really want?
    A number of surveys say that Farage would be their preferred leader.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,453
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories have about 18 hours to do a deal with RefUK, whereby they offer to stand down in about 100 seats where Reform are strongest in return for the party standing down in favour of the Tories in the other constituencies.

While I can understand some voters being up for that, is it what grassroots Conservative members really want?
    Can you imagine the councillors, members etc? Humiliation and betrayal to save a few greasy troughers. Carnage
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,614
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it would lead to the death of the Tories, whatever they do now.

No true conservative would have anything to do with Russia Today´s Nigel Farage in any event.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,293
    Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry. Sober cough, It’s wrong to laugh at the misf

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*ejaculates*

How’s the weather in Odessa?
    It’s v plez. I’m going to SPUNK my one photo on my dinner. As it were. A fantastic grilled dorade with lovely white wine on the Black Sea. I can see towers missiled by Putin from where I type this. Blackened hulks. And yet the douceur du vivre abides. God bless the Ukes. Slava Ukraini!!!!

Any news on the frontline venture?
    I have several choices

1. Go to actual frontline at Kherson complete with flak jacket and hear actual missiles landing

But then I’ve heard bits of missiles landing ON MY ROAD sufficient to cause minor detonations so… what’s the point? The war is here. It is in Odessa, and it really is. This is an air/drone war as much as anything else and I can see it right here, from my nice seafood restaurants

2. Stay here. Nice seafood restaurants! Fascinating and dreamy Odessa. The lack of power and often internet is a bitch but you get used to it, maybe, somehow. Disadvantage, I have to go home via Chisinau and I am done with that bus journey and Chisinau is boring

3. Go insane and go to Kharkiv and face even more missiles but without the seafood restaurants and less power

4. (My fave at the mo). couple more days in Odessa eating fish and dodging drones and then do Kyiv. Never been. Am fascinated. What is the great city of Kyiv like right now? Another plus: I can avoid Chisinau and go home via beautiful Lviv then Cracow
    Out of interest, is the border open for (insane) tourists or did you need the media credentials?
    The border is open, and you don’t have to be (that) insane. I went last year, albeit with Ukranian Mrs Sandpit. Accept that you don’t have travel insurance though, but Lviv and Kiev are wonderful cities to visit.
    Seems harsh - obviously they’d need to carve out “war risk” but the rest should be insurable.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    I am simply astonished at the idiotic action of Sunak today.

What was he thinking - no correct that, he wasn't and who on earth is advising him?

Rishi Sunak has been told that he has “misjudged the mood of the nation” by deciding to return early from the D-Day 80th anniversary commemorations to campaign in the general election.

And he has been warned that he appears to have already handed the mantle of prime minister to Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer who joined veterans this afternoon in Normandy.

The criticism from Gulf War veteran Colonel Stuart Crawford came after Mr Sunak decided not to attend the major gathering of world leaders with veterans at Omaha beach this afternoon.

A Conservative source confirmed that he had returned to campaign in the election instead.

In contrast, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, who is the odds-on favourite to win the election and be prime minister on 5 July, was at the event, mingling with world leaders including President Joe Biden, President Emmanuel Macron and King Charles. Asked whether it was a mistake for the prime minister to miss the event, Col Crawford, who served for 20 years in the Royal Tank Regiment, said: “I think Mr Sunak misjudges the mood of the nation by doing so.

“It’s a solemn occasion and sadly the last major anniversary of the landings, which will feature many of the surviving veterans.

“Campaigning for an election which everyone knows he’s going to lose anyway is a poor excuse.

“He should be there with the others, and his absence and Starmer’s presence makes it look as if he’s passed the premiership to Sir Keir already.”

Foreign secretary Lord Cameron and defence secretary Grant Shapps represented the Tory government at the event.

There was criticism from other quarters too. Former first sea lord Admiral Lord West told The Independent: “Nothing politicians do nowadays surprises me!”

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, who is also with veterans in Normandy but is hoping to pick up Tory voters in the election, attacked the prime minister for his decision.

He posted on X (formerly Twitter): “The Prime Minister has ducked out of the international D-Day event to fly back to the UK to campaign.I am here in Normandy in a personal capacity because I think it matters. Does he?”

The prime minister had appeared with British veterans at a “heroes welcome” event this morning, gaving a short speech before returning home.

In missing the event at Omaha beach, where the Americans landed and some of the fiercest fighting took place 80 years ago today, Mr Sunak also lost the opportunity to join President Voldymyr Zelensky, who reminded leaders that they have another war on Europe’s front with Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Starmer and Shapps attended the Omaha beach event
  • Options
    Cicero said:

kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

No true conservative would have anything to do with Russia Today´s Nigel Farage in any event.
    Any One Nation survivors would immediately do a 'Change UK' Post election
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

right I have to walk to my hotel, can I just say that this trip has renewed my fervour for the Ukrainian cause

The slightly triumphant swagger of Lviv in 2023 has gone - we threw off Putin! We will hurl him into the Azov! Now it is much more gritty determination and sangfroid and fuck it, we endure. And, in its way, that is more admirable. That is true grace, courage under fire, endless endless fire

They have lost 100,000s of their finest young men - and still they fight. And fight. And fight. And they will not fucking lie down. I am humbled by them. They need everything we can give them

Well done, Leon. More joy in heaven, and all that.
    I’ve never NOT wanted Ukraine to prevail. I despise Putin and would like him and his cronies pushed out of a window. I’ve just doubted Ukraine can win and I still seriously doubt they can win. I’m fairly sure they can’t, in fact - in terms of regaining all Ukraine including Crimea it seems unlikely

But what they can do - and, from being here, what I sense they might do - is prove such doughty and inconquerable opponents Putin will have to sue for a less than brilliant peace. Or lose another million men gaining 5 sq km

I dunno. Perhaps Putin will seize Kyiv tomorrow. But in terms of human mood - and that is all you sense when you go places - the Ukrainians don’t seem minded to admit defeat. They are grimly set on defending the rest of their country, and fuck the suffering endured thereby

Manpower is still their issue. They have no problem with courage. We must arm them to the teeth to make up for the lack of troops
    Well, more joy in heaven at a repentant sinner, but yes.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,726
    On much more interesting news I’ve just discovered that “Rule Britannia” was a rebellious song written against George II by his opponents led by his son, the future George III.

So maybe reform can become the new establishment.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,807
    "Jack Dorsey: social media is robbing us of free will"

https://unherd.com/newsroom/jack-dorsey-social-media-is-robbing-us-of-free-will/
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

@Samfr

Need to be really clear, because I can see the myth building already, that there is no evidence in the underlying data of these polls that Labour votes are going to Reform.

Nor of fewer Tory/Labour switchers.

Small Labour drops in 3 of 5 polls are driven by others things.

I think it's plausible enough that Farage is attracting some votes that would have gone to Labour otherwise.

But in Starmer's position, given that the Tory strategy was 100% focussed on trying to regain votes from Reform, I think I would be very happy to sacrifice a few percentage points and have a 20-point lead over both the Tories and ReformUK evenly divided.
    It’s a problem of definitions. The Tories had already leaked many (most?) 2019 voters to Labour, Reform, and DK. So votes Farage gets from Labour or DK are “Tory voters” in the sense they voted Tory last time. But they aren’t really, not any more.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,083
    edited June 6

What was he thinking - no correct that, he wasn't and who on earth is advising him?

I think they will struggle to ever work again in such a role. Flipping burgers looks about their level.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185
    Andy_JS said:

Note that Labour Party refused to cut such a deal with Liberals - either Coalitionist or Wee Frees - in GEs 1922 & 1923. Breaking the back (or some other body parts) of the Libs and consigning them to the outer darkness.

Not sure IF this is relevant a century later . . . also somehow doubt it's totally irrelevant . . .
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Note that Labour Party refused to cut such a deal with Liberals - either Coalitionist or Wee Frees - in GEs 1922 & 1923. Breaking the back (or some other body parts) of the Libs and consigning them to the outer darkness.

Not sure IF this is relevant a century later . . . also somehow doubt it's totally irrelevant . . .
    The chances of it happening are zero of course.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

And campaign as the Tory-RefUK Alliance?

I think Tories have to accept this is a no-win situation for them.
    Any deal ends them. Utterly.
    Yup. Why drink Rola Cola when you can have proper coke? Align with Reform and you lose all remaining voters to Reform, or to someone who won’t align with them.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,966
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

ToryJim said:

NEW: First Westminster voting intention since Farage announced his candidacy.

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

F/w 5th - 6th June. Changes vs. 27th May 2024. 1,056 adults in Great Britain.

Plus 7 but only -1 Tories..........
    2019 Con Lab switchers going reform??
    Yes, it's a mistake to think that Tory and Reform voters are fungible. In very special circumstances in 2019 Boris managed to attract both tribes, but in my view most Reform voters are normally Tory-sceptic if not outright Tory-hostile.
    I view them as our equivalent (although thankfully a pale imitation both in nature and number) of the Trump MAGA base in the US.
    Which of course is made up of a significant proportion of traditional democrat voters.

The shift is less right / left, more the winners vs losers of globalisation. The losers have tried all the traditional parties / politicians, are pissed off and willing to kick over the apple cart. That's Trump, that's Brexit, maybe now Farage.
    And traditional non voters. The common thread isn't left right as you say. IMO it's shallowness, stupidity, ignorance and gullibility. They have these traits to a relatively high degree. But the political leaders exploiting them, the likes of Trump and Farage, are (usually) creatures of the right. Not always though. Eg you get your Galloway and Melenchon types trying to make waves in that space too. Overripe old men of the trad left who mix backward statist economics with backward social attitudes. Either way, it's sad.
    Your second sentence - those characteristics aren't exactly absent from traditional parties' voters.
    As with Corbyn's voters - these people aren't voting Farage because they are wrong or misguided, they're doing so because the current settlement very much doesn't work for them.
    Yes, very true, that's why I was careful to say 'relatively'. But your 2nd bit is too kind. Voting for these exploitative xenophobic populists is most certainly wrong and misguided.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,982
    edited June 6
    Andy_JS said:

"Jack Dorsey: social media is robbing us of free will"

https://unherd.com/newsroom/jack-dorsey-social-media-is-robbing-us-of-free-will/

Perhaps Mr Dorsey should have thought of that a few years ago, before employing an army of 10,000 unaccountable censors on his platform?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,227

Rishi Sunak has been told that he has “misjudged the mood of the nation” by deciding to return early from the D-Day 80th anniversary commemorations to campaign in the general election.

And he has been warned that he appears to have already handed the mantle of prime minister to Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer who joined veterans this afternoon in Normandy.

The criticism from Gulf War veteran Colonel Stuart Crawford came after Mr Sunak decided not to attend the major gathering of world leaders with veterans at Omaha beach this afternoon.

A Conservative source confirmed that he had returned to campaign in the election instead.

In contrast, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, who is the odds-on favourite to win the election and be prime minister on 5 July, was at the event, mingling with world leaders including President Joe Biden, President Emmanuel Macron and King Charles. Asked whether it was a mistake for the prime minister to miss the event, Col Crawford, who served for 20 years in the Royal Tank Regiment, said: “I think Mr Sunak misjudges the mood of the nation by doing so.

“It’s a solemn occasion and sadly the last major anniversary of the landings, which will feature many of the surviving veterans.

“Campaigning for an election which everyone knows he’s going to lose anyway is a poor excuse.

“He should be there with the others, and his absence and Starmer’s presence makes it look as if he’s passed the premiership to Sir Keir already.”

Foreign secretary Lord Cameron and defence secretary Grant Shapps represented the Tory government at the event.

There was criticism from other quarters too. Former first sea lord Admiral Lord West told The Independent: “Nothing politicians do nowadays surprises me!”

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, who is also with veterans in Normandy but is hoping to pick up Tory voters in the election, attacked the prime minister for his decision.

He posted on X (formerly Twitter): “The Prime Minister has ducked out of the international D-Day event to fly back to the UK to campaign.I am here in Normandy in a personal capacity because I think it matters. Does he?”

The prime minister had appeared with British veterans at a “heroes welcome” event this morning, gaving a short speech before returning home.

In missing the event at Omaha beach, where the Americans landed and some of the fiercest fighting took place 80 years ago today, Mr Sunak also lost the opportunity to join President Voldymyr Zelensky, who reminded leaders that they have another war on Europe’s front with Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Wow!

Where's that quote from Big_G?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited June 6
    On the Summer UFO's hearings story, the Congressman Tim Burchett says they are working on new whistleblower protections, because too many people pulled out last yesr at the last minute for fear of legal action.

“We’re working with some legal people and try to get something a little better than what's out there."

David Grusch gave a list of cooperative and hostile witnesses, what have they done with this list?

“That'll be part of the next hearing. I'm not giving out too many names, because, as you know, what happened the last time was that we originally had 12 people that were coming in, but we were left with 3."
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,183
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

I see Douglas Ross’ political career is over, and if it isn’t, it should be. Chicken run to displace ill but recovering colleague. Hope he loses.

Not sure what you're on about. David Duguid has clearly been incapacited and a chunk of his new constituency has been represented by Douglas Ross for the last seven years so makes sense for him to take over as he's a know quantity locally. And ss he's safely in Holyrood anyway hardly a chicken run - in fact he's taking quite a reputational risk if he fails to win. Much safer to have found someone else to stand. Of course, if he does make it to Westminster then he could be quite an influential player in the much-reduced Tory parliamentary party. But will leave the MSP group the job of finding a new leader.
    Ross is *already* both an MSP and Scottish Tory leader. He had announced he was quitting Westminster to focus on Holyrood. And refereeing. But obviously has changed his mind...
    The way the two main parties have treated candidate selection in this election is just awful. Completely treating local parties and local democracy as an inconvenience. Local members must do what they are instructed to.
    I love it - not that they are riding roughshod, but that they cannot ignore that the centralised power was always there for potential use.

They can now properly decide as Members if they want to do something about it, to change the way the party operates. It would a long grind to have that happen. Or do they just kowtow?
    Or just throw in the towel and leave the party or just not allow themselves too be used to do the donkey work.

It is noticeable in my seat how few local labour activists are campaigning for Luke Akehurst. It is mainly county councillors in the photo ops.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,767

Wow!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sunak-dday-commemoration-general-election-b2558010.html
  • Options
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

*ejaculates*

It’s v plez. I’m going to SPUNK my one photo on my dinner. As it were. A fantastic grilled dorade with lovely white wine on the Black Sea. I can see towers missiled by Putin from where I type this. Blackened hulks. And yet the douceur du vivre abides. God bless the Ukes. Slava Ukraini!!!!

I have several choices

1. Go to actual frontline at Kherson complete with flak jacket and hear actual missiles landing

But then I’ve heard bits of missiles landing ON MY ROAD sufficient to cause minor detonations so… what’s the point? The war is here. It is in Odessa, and it really is. This is an air/drone war as much as anything else and I can see it right here, from my nice seafood restaurants

2. Stay here. Nice seafood restaurants! Fascinating and dreamy Odessa. The lack of power and often internet is a bitch but you get used to it, maybe, somehow. Disadvantage, I have to go home via Chisinau and I am done with that bus journey and Chisinau is boring

3. Go insane and go to Kharkiv and face even more missiles but without the seafood restaurants and less power

4. (My fave at the mo). couple more days in Odessa eating fish and dodging drones and then do Kyiv. Never been. Am fascinated. What is the great city of Kyiv like right now? Another plus: I can avoid Chisinau and go home via beautiful Lviv then Cracow
    Out of interest, is the border open for (insane) tourists or did you need the media credentials?
    The border is open, and you don’t have to be (that) insane. I went last year, albeit with Ukranian Mrs Sandpit. Accept that you don’t have travel insurance though, but Lviv and Kiev are wonderful cities to visit.
    Seems harsh - obviously they’d need to carve out “war risk” but the rest should be insurable.
    There’s no flights in or out, so you’re travelling over a land border. There’s no medical evacuations, any and all arrangements can be changed at a moment’s notice, etc, etc.

Perhaps your insurance might cover you if you lost luggage on the flight from London to Krakow, and had to spend an extra day in Poland - but that’s about it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,168
    Leon said:

Leon said:

right I have to walk to my hotel, can I just say that this trip has renewed my fervour for the Ukrainian cause

The slightly triumphant swagger of Lviv in 2023 has gone - we threw off Putin! We will hurl him into the Azov! Now it is much more gritty determination and sangfroid and fuck it, we endure. And, in its way, that is more admirable. That is true grace, courage under fire, endless endless fire

They have lost 100,000s of their finest young men - and still they fight. And fight. And fight. And they will not fucking lie down. I am humbled by them. They need everything we can give them

I’ve never NOT wanted Ukraine to prevail. I despise Putin and would like him and his cronies pushed out of a window. I’ve just doubted Ukraine can win and I still seriously doubt they can win. I’m fairly sure they can’t, in fact - in terms of regaining all Ukraine including Crimea it seems unlikely

But what they can do - and, from being here, what I sense they might do - is prove such doughty and inconquerable opponents Putin will have to sue for a less than brilliant peace. Or lose another million men gaining 5 sq km

I dunno. Perhaps Putin will seize Kyiv tomorrow. But in terms of human mood - and that is all you sense when you go places - the Ukrainians don’t seem minded to admit defeat. They are grimly set on defending the rest of their country, and fuck the suffering endured thereby

Manpower is still their issue. They have no problem with courage. We must arm them to the teeth to make up for the lack of troops
    Longer serving PB’ers will remember you as Putin’s little helper.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472

Oh my god, I didn’t know that. What a moronic thing to do. That is depressing, and saddening, that he’d do that. (And I’m not talking from a partisan position when I say that).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

*ejaculates*

I have several choices

I would go on to Kyiv, but I would try to get to Lviv via Kamenets Podilsky and Chernivtsi. Carpathian Ukraine is pretty stunning and the castle at Kamenets and the general Austro Hungarianness of Chernivtsi will probably speak loudly, not least because Gregor von Rezzori was born there.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    1984 - Ronald Reagan gives perhaps his best speech at the 40th anniversary of D-Day, in midst of his very successful campaign for re-election as POTUS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Leb7ynduCU

2024 - Rishi Sunak skips the 80th anniversary of D-Day, in midst of his somewhat less-successful campaign for re-electon as POTUS

Mind-bending stupidity from RS and his D-team.

EDIT - Too high a rating, more like F-Troop.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,188
    edited June 6
    Of course, "despising" Putin is more fashionable these days than it used to be:

I dislike Putin, generally. He kills his enemies. But then, so does the POTUS, with drones (and so does Boris). And sometimes your wiser enemies, or rivals, see you better then you see yourself. Putin nails this here. Wokeness is Bolshevism, right down to the determined destruction of the family unit

Putin is a fascinating character, worthy of respect, along with due wariness and preparedness. He is certainly not some mad aggressive autocrat, he is not Hitler. He actually thinks

-- Some Cnut, 2021
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,203
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour members wanted the Absolute Boy to become their leader. The Tory grassroots are definitely bonkers enough to want Farage.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,068
    eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

A number of surveys say that Farage would be their preferred leader.
    I suspect they will fall out with him fairly quickly. He is a one trick pony, and has quite a record of falling out with party subordinates. UKIP were famous for infighting.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

That is outrageous. It will also piss off the only segment of voters still mildly favourable to the Tories.

One seriously has to wonder if he has a political death wish.

I started this election just about persuadable into voting Tory, but I needed some good reasons to get me to that. So far the Tory leadership is doing everything to push me to vote elsewhere.
  • Options
    Channel 4 News leading on Tory chicken runs.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,504

More on the effects of the crashing Nigerian economy:

Nigerian students hit by a financial crisis make up the majority of clients at a food charity, its manager has said.

An economic crash in Nigeria left international students struggling to afford tuition fees, with some at Teesside University blocked from their studies and ordered to return home.

Manager Debbie Fixter said 75% of clients at Thornaby's Sprouts Community Food Charity (SCFC) were affected students and the situation had pushed it to "maximum capacity".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cljjwg5dw34o

This story seems to hit various current issues.

Teesside university is ranked 100/130, down from 92/130.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?tabletype=full-table

Perhaps universities should offer currency hedged fees for a few percent extra.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,692
    s
    boulay said:

On much more interesting news I’ve just discovered that “Rule Britannia” was a rebellious song written against George II by his opponents led by his son, the future George III.

So maybe reform can become the new establishment.

Written in one of my local pubs.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I dislike Putin, generally. He kills his enemies. But then, so does the POTUS, with drones (and so does Boris). And sometimes your wiser enemies, or rivals, see you better then you see yourself. Putin nails this here. Wokeness is Bolshevism, right down to the determined destruction of the family unit

Putin is a fascinating character, worthy of respect, along with due wariness and preparedness. He is certainly not some mad aggressive autocrat, he is not Hitler. He actually thinks

-- Some Cnut, 2021

Railing against the determined destruction of the family unit is quite funny given the source.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,231
    Does Sunak not realise that being in Normandy as PM is about the best thing he could do to help his chances in the election?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,580
    ToryJim said:

That is outrageous. It will also piss off the only segment of voters still mildly favourable to the Tories.

I started this election just about persuadable into voting Tory, but I needed some good reasons to get me to that. So far the Tory leadership is doing everything to push me to vote elsewhere.
    If elections were decided based on a mix of performance, policy and campaign alone rather than people strongly favouring their "natural" party, this version of the Conservative party would be on about 5%.
  • Options
    One of the interesting things about Reagan's 40th D-Day anniversary speech, is that it is NOT a bravura oration. Instead Reagan simply read his text, with restrained but very effective emotion. And above all, gravitas combined with empathy.

One imagines that Abraham Lincoln did much the same when he delivered the Gettysburg Address.
  • Options

Wow!

Wow!

To be honest I am so annoyed I cannot recall but it was a summary of today's celebrations of D day

Nobody has been more loyal to Sunak than myself but that's it - I am done and frankly just want this over and to see Starmer in no 10

• Options

One of the interesting things about Reagan's 40th D-Day anniversary speech, is that it is NOT a bravura oration. Instead Reagan simply read his text, with restrained but very effective emotion. And above all, gravitas combined with empathy.

One imagines that Abraham Lincoln did much the same when he delivered the Gettysburg Address.

I read somewhere that Reagan attempted to reply personally to letters he received.
  • Options

Does Sunak not realise that being in Normandy as PM is about the best thing he could do to help his chances in the election?

Clearly not...
  • Options

What the f***?

Did Sunak actually duck out of meeting Zelensky on Omaha Beach, while leaving Starmer there to meet the Ukranians?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I was mocked by @BartholomewRoberts earlier today when I suggested that this could become the story. Just saying
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,308

The D-Day anniversary is basically Eid for gammons. He's fucked it.
  • Options

Wow!

Wow!

To be honest I am so annoyed I cannot recall but it was a summary of today's celebrations of D day

Nobody has been more loyal to Sunak than myself but that's it - I am done and frankly just want this over and to see Starmer in no 10

So, is it Labour or Plaid Cymru for you later this month then?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,380
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

*ejaculates*

I have several choices

What would Hemingway have done?

Go to the front line. See it with your own eyes. You may end up writing the next Farewell to Arms...
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Come over to Labour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

Andy_JS said:

I was mocked by @BartholomewRoberts earlier today when I suggested that this could become the story. Just saying
    No you weren’t. He just disagreed with you.

Not really. A bunch of MPs most members of the public have never heard of is so niche it's something only politics nerds would care about. And politics nerds have enough stories.
  • Options

Cicero said:

kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

Or join a much larger Lib Dem group...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Did Sunak actually duck out of meeting Zelensky on Omaha Beach, while leaving Starmer there to meet the Ukranians?
    Sunak, looking ahead to the future as ever?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Well if "ToryJim" isn't voting Tory ...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,151
    ToryJim said:

Different generation perhaps. Just not important to him, just like the majority of young people.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Yes and David Cameron deputised

Sunak has just lost me 100%
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

No - but possible Lib dem
  • Options
    Farooq said:

-- Some Cnut, 2021

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad. Another few days of this and the Tories really will be circling the plughole.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,454
    Dura_Ace said:

The D-Day anniversary is basically Eid for gammons. He's fucked it.
    Does he not know how important this is ... to Californians?
  • Options
    edited June 6
    carnforth said:

Nigerian students hit by a financial crisis make up the majority of clients at a food charity, its manager has said.

An economic crash in Nigeria left international students struggling to afford tuition fees, with some at Teesside University blocked from their studies and ordered to return home.

Manager Debbie Fixter said 75% of clients at Thornaby's Sprouts Community Food Charity (SCFC) were affected students and the situation had pushed it to "maximum capacity".

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?tabletype=full-table

Imagine the mess that universities could get themselves into, hedging the Naira and the Rupee.

It would all go really well, until one day it didn’t.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

No you weren’t. He just disagreed with you.

Not really. A bunch of MPs most members of the public have never heard of is so niche it's something only politics nerds would care about. And politics nerds have enough stories.
    Fair enough. Mocked was the wrong word. Apologies.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Stoke-on-Trent South is forecast to have the highest Tory share in England according to the New Statesman, with 41%.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2024/06/the-end-of-the-tory-safe-seat

"According to our model, there are just four seats in England where the Tories can expect to receive more than 40 per cent of the vote.

Their top share in England (in Scotland, another three seats scrape over 40 per cent) is in Stoke-on-Trent South, where they are forecast to receive 41 per cent, but even here, Labour is forecast to edge a close victory, with 42 per cent of the vote. The same is true of Dudley (where they lose 40 to 41) and Bassetlaw (where they lose 40 to 43). Even in the places with the highest number of people prepared to vote Conservative, they are in critical danger."
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,767

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

...whereas up until now you felt he was doing a good job?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

I'm not a fan of the fella but it's not like he didn't go to Normandy, he attended this mornings service and gave a speech.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

Jim is - weirdly given his username - arguably the most fair and balanced analyst on here!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Imagine the mess that universities could get themselves into, hedging the Naira and the Rupee.

Can't they just sell them on as a financial instrument?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

*ejaculates*

I have several choices

Go to the front line. See it with your own eyes. You may end up writing the next Farewell to Arms...
    One of Hemingway's WW2 exploits, was liberating the bar at the Ritz in Paris. Shortly before (or maybe after) he paid a visit to Gertrude Stein & Alice B. Toklas.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

*ejaculates*

I have several choices

Isn't it be pretty to think so?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

Remember it was me who posted the report when others may have not

Probably one of Sunak's remaining few loyalist on here but not anymore
  • Options

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

Huh, my gut instinct was that they were absolutely nowhere in your constituency. Seems they were third on the old boundaries! I didn't realise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,231
    Interesting gender divide emerging. Which way will female don’t knows break?

• Options
    edited June 6

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

I'm not a fan of the fella but it's not like he didn't go to Normandy, he attended this mornings service and gave a speech.
    It was just shocking seeing Biden, Macron, Scholtz together with Sunak but no, he sent David Cameron and the photo shoot was dreadful
  • Options
    edited June 6
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Can't they just sell them on as a financial instrument?
    They could, except they’re little better than junk on international money markets, and they’d be paying a fortune for the facility.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Has anyone heard any voter say the words “I am voting for Rishi”.

I understand life long Tories voting for their MP. I understand voting Tory to avoid a silly Labour majority. But voting for him?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189

I am genuinely awestruck at how politically inept Sunak clearing off early is. It's exactly what you would expect of someone who has no sense of the country he governs or interest in it.
  • Options

Interesting.

I have a view that might be sexist, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong: women are more likely to be centrist and less prone to extremism. This chart maybe mildly supports that idea. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

Huh, my gut instinct was that they were absolutely nowhere in your constituency. Seems they were third on the old boundaries! I didn't realise.
    I do want to vote in what could be my last election so lib dems very likely
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

It was just shocking seeing Biden, Macron, Scholtz together with Sunak but no, he sent David Cameron and the photo shoot was dreadful
    I understand that but the day is about marking amd commemorating events of 80 years ago and meeting veterans which he did at this mornings service. There have been many services, it's not like the one at Omaha had more gravitas or was 'the main one', they all were
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,726

I am genuinely awestruck at how politically inept Sunak clearing off early is. It's exactly what you would expect of someone who has no sense of the country he governs or interest in it.
    Are you saying he just isn’t British?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

Oh shut up with that bollocks. You've got another few elections in you.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,331
    tlg86 said:

Just laid Biden for the Dem nomination. They can't keep this going, it's getting to the point where it is cruel.

Ta. I'll take your money.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Likely much the same as the Do Knows.
  • Options
    edited June 6

37% of men are voting Labour, and 39% of women; but the top line is 40%+….?

These non-binary folk are more numerous than I thought!

Edit - oh it includes “don’t know”…
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,930

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

ToryJim said:

NEW: First Westminster voting intention since Farage announced his candidacy.

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

F/w 5th - 6th June. Changes vs. 27th May 2024. 1,056 adults in Great Britain.

Plus 7 but only -1 Tories..........
    2019 Con Lab switchers going reform??
    Yes, it's a mistake to think that Tory and Reform voters are fungible. In very special circumstances in 2019 Boris managed to attract both tribes, but in my view most Reform voters are normally Tory-sceptic if not outright Tory-hostile.
    I view them as our equivalent (although thankfully a pale imitation both in nature and number) of the Trump MAGA base in the US.
    Which of course is made up of a significant proportion of traditional democrat voters.

The shift is less right / left, more the winners vs losers of globalisation. The losers have tried all the traditional parties / politicians, are pissed off and willing to kick over the apple cart. That's Trump, that's Brexit, maybe now Farage.
    And traditional non voters. The common thread isn't left right as you say. IMO it's shallowness, stupidity, ignorance and gullibility. They have these traits to a relatively high degree. But the political leaders exploiting them, the likes of Trump and Farage, are (usually) creatures of the right. Not always though. Eg you get your Galloway and Melenchon types trying to make waves in that space too. Overripe old men of the trad left who mix backward statist economics with backward social attitudes. Either way, it's sad.
    Your second sentence - those characteristics aren't exactly absent from traditional parties' voters.
    As with Corbyn's voters - these people aren't voting Farage because they are wrong or misguided, they're doing so because the current settlement very much doesn't work for them.
    But they are shallow, stupid, ignorant and gullible. Because they refuse to believe the *right kind* of lies from politicians. Despite those lies being repeated for them at regular intervals
    A key difference being that the shallow, stupid, ignorant and gullible Corbyn fans, some on here if you can believe it, would have voted him into power.

Even the dimmest Reffer doesn't match that kind of idiocy.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

Or join a much larger Lib Dem group...
    Now this would be funny. Say it ends thus:

Labour - squllions
    Tories 50
    LDs 51
    Reform 30
    SNP 20

Reform merge with the Tories to give 80 and claim to be the Official Opposition, only for 15 One-Nation types to defect to the LDs and hey presto LDs become the OO again.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,114

I don't find it remotely surprising that a significant minority of voters are seduced by Farage's charms.
    But I still find it fucking depressing.

It is not they are seduced by farages charms in my opinion, like me they think going on with the centristm bollocks of the last 40 years which has landed us here is a dead end. They are looking for a radical change of direction....some look to Corbyn, some look to Farage. Personally I don't think either has an answer but they are looking to get away from more of the same which is all that is offered by tories, starmers labour or the lib dems
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,649
    Farooq said:

Interesting.

I have a view that might be sexist, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong: women are more likely to be centrist and less prone to extremism. This chart maybe mildly supports that idea. Am I wrong?
    No need to tread on eggshells with that one, although it’s appreciated.

You’re absolutely not wrong. People pumped by testosterone are more aggressive and, therefore, more bullish and extreme on views.

Same kind of aggression from males in the animal world of course.

And on pb.com, obvs.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Is he that tone-deaf, to not know that the commemorations were always going to be today’s biggest story, and that the vast majority of Tory voters and potential voters are way more interested in this than the election, just for one day?
    QTWTAIY
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

Oh shut up with that bollocks. You've got another few elections in you.
    Which is my way of saying, stick around for the birthday card from the palace to put next to your anniversary card.
  • Options

My folks always watch this sort of thing avidly and are core Tory voters, or were.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Are you saying he just isn’t British?

No, I am saying he has absolutely no interest in understanding the people he governs. His lack of curiosity and empathy is astounding.

• Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

Which was the intellectually consistent choice for you, the last time.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,331
    The price available for Biden for Democratic Nomination is totally fucking crazy.

I've topped up. Again.
  • Options
    If the Tory press gives this Sunak story the coverage they would give it if a Labour PM had done the same, I reckon we're looking at a total Tory meltdown in the polls. But it is a big if.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

I understand that but the day is about marking amd commemorating events of 80 years ago and meeting veterans which he did at this mornings service. There have been many services, it's not like the one at Omaha had more gravitas or was 'the main one', they all were
    No - it is followed by the world leaders gathering to discuss security
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Is he that tone-deaf, to not know that the commemorations were always going to be today’s biggest story, and that the vast majority of Tory voters and potential voters are way more interested in this than the election, just for one day?
    Should he have run around Normandy attending as many as possible? Or attended the one arranged at the British landing beach with the King and veterans as he did? I don't get the outrage. Had he not gone to Normandy at all, fine. But he did.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

Remember it was me who posted the report when others may have not

Probably one of Sunak's remaining few loyalist on here but not anymore
    You've always been a dogged defender (one way to put it anyway) of the Conservative Party and Rishi Sunak.

At the same time, you've rarely tried to defend the indefensible. And called BS on your own party way more than the PBer average.

You have a right to be outraged. You deserve better.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

Jim is - weirdly given his username - arguably the most fair and balanced analyst on here!
    In the sense that the clueless ingenue at least starts from a position of ignorant neutrality?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,651
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It's not manpower, it's equipment, and technology.

With the right equipment, in sufficient quantity, they can win the war with relatively low numbers of additional casualties. Throwing lots of drones at the enemy does not risk your own men all that much. Neither does having advanced airpower.
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 591
    Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Interesting.

No need to tread on eggshells with that one, although it’s appreciated.

You’re absolutely not wrong. People pumped by testosterone are more aggressive and, therefore, more bullish and extreme on views.

Same kind of aggression from males in the animal world of course.

And on pb.com, obvs.
    Men and women are certainly not the same - though you can get lovely men and horrible women. The fact our Nigel gets 70% support from males, who are of an average age of 70, should tell you all you need to know. Leon is on line to be the leader of their youth movement!
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

Then we'll be voting the same way Big_G.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,198
    Evening all :)

Another preponderance of polling today after a quieter day yesterday. With so much happening, I really concentrate on the polls with the most recent fieldwork - even 72 hours ago is ancient history in an election campaign.

R&W have done one of their "standard" 2000 voter polls as distinct from their "mega" poll from earlier in the week. I'm not sure about comparisons between polls with such a large difference in sample size.

Looking at the data tables, Reform are second among men while 13% of women are in the DK category. Reform poll 19% with Men and 12% with Women (that's no surprise). I suspect that gender differential will be more marked as time goes on.

Among Men Reform plus Conservative = Labour (both at 37%). Among Women Reform plus Conservative trail Labour by 12 points (27-39) and there's your difference in a nutshell.

The splits between the age groups are also interesting .

Survation samples only just over half of the R&W sample (1,056) and the weighted numbers are just 850. I'm less convinced but we'll see.

Four weeks to go and the Conservatives trail Labour by 20 points.
This discussion has been closed.