Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,982
    edited June 6

Sandpit said:

I am simply astonished at the idiotic action of Sunak today.

What was he thinking - no correct that, he wasn't and who on earth is advising him?

Rishi Sunak has been told that he has “misjudged the mood of the nation” by deciding to return early from the D-Day 80th anniversary commemorations to campaign in the general election.

And he has been warned that he appears to have already handed the mantle of prime minister to Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer who joined veterans this afternoon in Normandy.

The criticism from Gulf War veteran Colonel Stuart Crawford came after Mr Sunak decided not to attend the major gathering of world leaders with veterans at Omaha beach this afternoon.

A Conservative source confirmed that he had returned to campaign in the election instead.

In contrast, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, who is the odds-on favourite to win the election and be prime minister on 5 July, was at the event, mingling with world leaders including President Joe Biden, President Emmanuel Macron and King Charles. Asked whether it was a mistake for the prime minister to miss the event, Col Crawford, who served for 20 years in the Royal Tank Regiment, said: “I think Mr Sunak misjudges the mood of the nation by doing so.

“It’s a solemn occasion and sadly the last major anniversary of the landings, which will feature many of the surviving veterans.

“Campaigning for an election which everyone knows he’s going to lose anyway is a poor excuse.

“He should be there with the others, and his absence and Starmer’s presence makes it look as if he’s passed the premiership to Sir Keir already.”

Foreign secretary Lord Cameron and defence secretary Grant Shapps represented the Tory government at the event.

There was criticism from other quarters too. Former first sea lord Admiral Lord West told The Independent: “Nothing politicians do nowadays surprises me!”

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, who is also with veterans in Normandy but is hoping to pick up Tory voters in the election, attacked the prime minister for his decision.

He posted on X (formerly Twitter): “The Prime Minister has ducked out of the international D-Day event to fly back to the UK to campaign.I am here in Normandy in a personal capacity because I think it matters. Does he?”

The prime minister had appeared with British veterans at a “heroes welcome” event this morning, gaving a short speech before returning home.

In missing the event at Omaha beach, where the Americans landed and some of the fiercest fighting took place 80 years ago today, Mr Sunak also lost the opportunity to join President Voldymyr Zelensky, who reminded leaders that they have another war on Europe’s front with Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Starmer and Shapps attended the Omaha beach event

What the f***?

Did Sunak actually duck out of meeting Zelensky on Omaha Beach, while leaving Starmer there to meet the Ukranians?
    Yes and David Cameron deputised

Sunak has just lost me 100%
    I'm not a fan of the fella but it's not like he didn't go to Normandy, he attended this mornings service and gave a speech.
    It was just shocking seeing Biden, Macron, Scholtz together with Sunak but no, he sent David Cameron and the photo shoot was dreadful
    I understand that but the day is about marking amd commemorating events of 80 years ago and meeting veterans which he did at this mornings service. There have been many services, it's not like the one at Omaha had more gravitas or was 'the main one', they all were
    He should have been at all of them.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

What was he thinking - no correct that, he wasn't and who on earth is advising him?

Rishi Sunak has been told that he has “misjudged the mood of the nation” by deciding to return early from the D-Day 80th anniversary commemorations to campaign in the general election.

And he has been warned that he appears to have already handed the mantle of prime minister to Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer who joined veterans this afternoon in Normandy.

The criticism from Gulf War veteran Colonel Stuart Crawford came after Mr Sunak decided not to attend the major gathering of world leaders with veterans at Omaha beach this afternoon.

A Conservative source confirmed that he had returned to campaign in the election instead.

In contrast, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, who is the odds-on favourite to win the election and be prime minister on 5 July, was at the event, mingling with world leaders including President Joe Biden, President Emmanuel Macron and King Charles. Asked whether it was a mistake for the prime minister to miss the event, Col Crawford, who served for 20 years in the Royal Tank Regiment, said: “I think Mr Sunak misjudges the mood of the nation by doing so.

“It’s a solemn occasion and sadly the last major anniversary of the landings, which will feature many of the surviving veterans.

“Campaigning for an election which everyone knows he’s going to lose anyway is a poor excuse.

“He should be there with the others, and his absence and Starmer’s presence makes it look as if he’s passed the premiership to Sir Keir already.”

Foreign secretary Lord Cameron and defence secretary Grant Shapps represented the Tory government at the event.

There was criticism from other quarters too. Former first sea lord Admiral Lord West told The Independent: “Nothing politicians do nowadays surprises me!”

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, who is also with veterans in Normandy but is hoping to pick up Tory voters in the election, attacked the prime minister for his decision.

He posted on X (formerly Twitter): “The Prime Minister has ducked out of the international D-Day event to fly back to the UK to campaign.I am here in Normandy in a personal capacity because I think it matters. Does he?”

The prime minister had appeared with British veterans at a “heroes welcome” event this morning, gaving a short speech before returning home.

In missing the event at Omaha beach, where the Americans landed and some of the fiercest fighting took place 80 years ago today, Mr Sunak also lost the opportunity to join President Voldymyr Zelensky, who reminded leaders that they have another war on Europe’s front with Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Wow!

Where's that quote from Big_G?

Wow!

To be honest I am so annoyed I cannot recall but it was a summary of today's celebrations of D day

Nobody has been more loyal to Sunak than myself but that's it - I am done and frankly just want this over and to see Starmer in no 10

So, is it Labour or Plaid Cymru for you later this month then?
    No - but possible Lib dem
    Huh, my gut instinct was that they were absolutely nowhere in your constituency. Seems they were third on the old boundaries! I didn't realise.
    I do want to vote in what could be my last election so lib dems very likely
    Oh shut up with that bollocks. You've got another few elections in you.
    I hope so but I am not in the best of health with several issues that are complex
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,453

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Did Sunak actually duck out of meeting Zelensky on Omaha Beach, while leaving Starmer there to meet the Ukranians?

I'm not a fan of the fella but it's not like he didn't go to Normandy, he attended this mornings service and gave a speech.
    It was just shocking seeing Biden, Macron, Scholtz together with Sunak but no, he sent David Cameron and the photo shoot was dreadful
    I understand that but the day is about marking amd commemorating events of 80 years ago and meeting veterans which he did at this mornings service. There have been many services, it's not like the one at Omaha had more gravitas or was 'the main one', they all were
    No - it is followed by the world leaders gathering to discuss security
    There's a g7 next week he's attending. He doesn't need to be at a meeting with Biden, Macron and Scholz today.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,649
    edited June 6
    Cicero said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad. Another few days of this and the Tories really will be circling the plughole.
    I’m tempted to watch tomorrow’s debate just for the hell of seeing Farage perform. Given how poor Penny Mordaunt was in the leadership debates it might not be pretty.

No idea how Angela Rayner will perform but she’s a feisty lass so will probably hold her own, if not on detail?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,188

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

To be honest I am so annoyed I cannot recall but it was a summary of today's celebrations of D day

Nobody has been more loyal to Sunak than myself but that's it - I am done and frankly just want this over and to see Starmer in no 10

Huh, my gut instinct was that they were absolutely nowhere in your constituency. Seems they were third on the old boundaries! I didn't realise.
    I hope so but I am not in the best of health with several issues that are complex
    Well, even if they need to keep replacing bits of you, you'll want to be around for when SKS falls. "Were you up for Reeves?"
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,334

boulay said:

Does Sunak not realise that being in Normandy as PM is about the best thing he could do to help his chances in the election?

I am genuinely awestruck at how politically inept Sunak clearing off early is. It's exactly what you would expect of someone who has no sense of the country he governs or interest in it.
    Are you saying he just isn’t British?

No, I am saying he has absolutely no interest in understanding the people he governs. His lack of curiosity and empathy is astounding.

That's not fair. He does have an interest.

I just think he's a bit "neurodiverse" as anyone who gets excited by spreadsheets can be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,232
    SKS fans please explain

https://brusselssignal.eu/2024/06/german-teachers-warn-against-lowering-voting-age-as-youth-shifts-right/

A German teachers’ union has warned against lowering the voting age to 16 for national elections, shortly after polling data showed that the youth in the country are shifting to the Right.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,445

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Just laid Biden for the Dem nomination. They can't keep this going, it's getting to the point where it is cruel.

It’s really awful to watch, on a human level.

I’m sure many of us have seen the deterioration of elderly relatives, but without it being headline news every day.
    What I don't get is why people think Trump is less in decline. His ramblings, never the most coherent, are nothing but stream of consciousness self focused nonsense, yet even on his own side Biden is the one people worry about.
    Because physically he still looks in reasonable shape. He doesn't have to be led by his wife (not that she would) around and unable to work out where he is. The fact he is a large man and a chubster I think makes him look physically strong, where as Biden looks very thin and frail.

His ramblings are incoherent because he is making stuff up on the spot and bullshitting, also a lot of those rallies he is a bit like a comedian trying new material. He spews all sorts of shit and see what sticks i.e. get the crowd cheering. Then that gets filtered down into his greatest hits like lock her up.
    Yes, the thing to watch with Trump is not when he makes what are clearly naff jokes that excite the Dem twitter mob but when he occasionally freezes completely.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185

If the Tory press gives this Sunak story the coverage they would give it if a Labour PM had done the same, I reckon we're looking at a total Tory meltdown in the polls. But it is a big if.

In this case, don't think it matters too much if the Tory press soft-peddles Sunak being AWOL for D-Day + 80 years.

Because the word is currently going forth, especially to those who care the most about it, via a plethora of media. Including and perhaps most significantly via word of mouth.
  • Options

If the Tory press gives this Sunak story the coverage they would give it if a Labour PM had done the same, I reckon we're looking at a total Tory meltdown in the polls. But it is a big if.

Calm down.

I love D-Day and Operation Overlord and even I didn't give a fuck about the 80th anniversary today.

It has zero cut through.
  • Options
    I’ll be careful what I say about Rishi Sunak but right there today you have an example. Tone deaf to what matters, including the last friends he had left.

Not funny.
  • Options

Farage will - it is a gift without precedent in this campaign
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,445

All eyes on YouGov for the Times in the morning!

Not the Ed Davey interview tonite?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,504
    edited June 6

The price available for Biden for Democratic Nomination is totally fucking crazy.

I've topped up. Again.

Edit
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

NEW: First Westminster voting intention since Farage announced his candidacy.

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

F/w 5th - 6th June. Changes vs. 27th May 2024. 1,056 adults in Great Britain.

Farage enters the fray... Lab and LibDems take the biggest hit. Which seems a little... odd...
    I don't think so. A lot of the Lab vote comes from a 'kick the Tories' place. A lot of the LD vote comes from a 'plague on both your houses' place. Both of these are easily transferable to Reform.
    The electorate don't care if they shoot their load over Labour or Reform provided the bukkake is good.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,651

Oh my god, I didn’t know that. What a moronic thing to do. That is depressing, and saddening, that he’d do that. (And I’m not talking from a partisan position when I say that).
    This morning people were saying that he'd chosen to have the campaign at this time precisely so that he could be at the D-day commemorations, and look Prime Ministerial, instead of on the campaign trail. Who is advising him to duck out of it early, or isn't able to dissuade him from doing so?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

He should have ben at all of them.
    Why? Does multiple commemoration count extra? I don't get it. Seriously. He was in Normandy marking D Day with the King. End of story.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189
    edited June 6

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

DELETED

• Options

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

There's a g7 next week he's attending. He doesn't need to be at a meeting with Biden, Macron and Scholz today.
    Oh come on.

Even if it didn’t matter from a historical perspective or out of gravitas and respect, it’s so unbelievably inept politically.

Who do you think were his last remaining core support? The very people who would be following today.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

I understood that Biden was withdrawing in July - does that account for the weakness in his price?

From where did you understand this?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,160

boulay said:

Does Sunak not realise that being in Normandy as PM is about the best thing he could do to help his chances in the election?

I am genuinely awestruck at how politically inept Sunak clearing off early is. It's exactly what you would expect of someone who has no sense of the country he governs or interest in it.

No, I am saying he has absolutely no interest in understanding the people he governs. His lack of curiosity and empathy is astounding.

I just think he's a bit "neurodiverse" as anyone who gets excited by spreadsheets can be.
    I mean, that’s a courageous thing to say here of all places.
  • Options

s

boulay said:

On much more interesting news I’ve just discovered that “Rule Britannia” was a rebellious song written against George II by his opponents led by his son, the future George III.

So maybe reform can become the new establishment.

Written in one of my local pubs.
    Pendant PBer Alert - George III was NOT the son of George II . . . unless something REALLY weird was going on within the Royal Family . . .

GII being GIII's grandfather. GII's son, Frederick, Prince of Wales having predeceased his father GII.

"Here lies poor Fred who was alive and is dead,
    Had it been his father I had much rather,
    Had it been his sister nobody would have missed her,
    Had it been his brother, still better than another,
    Had it been the whole generation, so much better for the nation,
    But since it is Fred who was alive and is dead,
    There is no more to be said!"
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Why? Does multiple commemoration count extra? I don't get it. Seriously. He was in Normandy marking D Day with the King. End of story.
    But he left the King, Biden, Macron and everyone else as the celebrations continued and David Cameron deputised, whilst Farage and Starmer are filmed actively involved
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Just laid Biden for the Dem nomination. They can't keep this going, it's getting to the point where it is cruel.

It’s really awful to watch, on a human level.

I’m sure many of us have seen the deterioration of elderly relatives, but without it being headline news every day.
    What I don't get is why people think Trump is less in decline. His ramblings, never the most coherent, are nothing but stream of consciousness self focused nonsense, yet even on his own side Biden is the one people worry about.
    Because physically he still looks in reasonable shape. He doesn't have to be led by his wife (not that she would) around and unable to work out where he is. The fact he is a large man and a chubster I think makes him look physically strong, where as Biden looks very thin and frail.

His ramblings are incoherent because he is making stuff up on the spot and bullshitting, also a lot of those rallies he is a bit like a comedian trying new material. He spews all sorts of shit and see what sticks i.e. get the crowd cheering. Then that gets filtered down into his greatest hits like lock her up.
    Plenty of American comedians, have described Trump as a comedian in the way he acts and speaks. He knows exactly what to say, and will refine it word by word over a number of events, just like they do.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,794

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories have about 18 hours to do a deal with RefUK, whereby they offer to stand down in about 100 seats where Reform are strongest in return for the party standing down in favour of the Tories in the other constituencies.

And campaign as the Tory-RefUK Alliance?

I think Tories have to accept this is a no-win situation for them.
    Any deal ends them. Utterly.
    That's right: the Conservative Party is in a very difficult place right now. If it enters into a deal, it results in a party to its right with dozens of seats. (And it means standing down in seats where you currently have the MP.)

It will also drive away at least some centrist voters, and ensures plenty of LLG tactical voting.

Basically, the Conservative Party cannot afford to take a deal, and has to hope that Reform flatters to decieve. I.e., they pick up plenty of votes but no seats. Of course, that will stuff the Conservatives and lead to them losing hundreds of seats... but that's the best option for them right now.
  • Options

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Farage enters the fray... Lab and LibDems take the biggest hit. Which seems a little... odd...
    I don't think so. A lot of the Lab vote comes from a 'kick the Tories' place. A lot of the LD vote comes from a 'plague on both your houses' place. Both of these are easily transferable to Reform.
    The electorate don't care if they shoot their load over Labour or Reform provided the bukkake is good.

I suspect for older demographics that may not be the case.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Icarus said:

I understood that Biden was withdrawing in July - does that account for the weakness in his price?

Who would replace him?
    Why would Biden withdraw now only 77 days from the nomination when Trump is in play and he's not at deaths door?

Biden may well do a Churchill and half "stand-down" 18 months into his second term.

But he's going to stand and he's probably going to win.

He considers it his duty.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,285
    At the moment the US polls are tied but the Democrats do have an advantage in that their convention is last. Since 2000 the candidate whose convention is last has got the biggest poll bounce, Gore in 2000, Bush in 2004, McCain in 2008, Obama in 2012 and Clinton in 2016 (in 2020 neither Trump nor Biden got a poll bounce due to their virtual nature as a result of COVID).

Then Biden would just need to maintain a likely September lead through the debates
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,068

Leon said:

Leon said:

right I have to walk to my hotel, can I just say that this trip has renewed my fervour for the Ukrainian cause

The slightly triumphant swagger of Lviv in 2023 has gone - we threw off Putin! We will hurl him into the Azov! Now it is much more gritty determination and sangfroid and fuck it, we endure. And, in its way, that is more admirable. That is true grace, courage under fire, endless endless fire

They have lost 100,000s of their finest young men - and still they fight. And fight. And fight. And they will not fucking lie down. I am humbled by them. They need everything we can give them

Well done, Leon. More joy in heaven, and all that.
    I’ve never NOT wanted Ukraine to prevail. I despise Putin and would like him and his cronies pushed out of a window. I’ve just doubted Ukraine can win and I still seriously doubt they can win. I’m fairly sure they can’t, in fact - in terms of regaining all Ukraine including Crimea it seems unlikely

But what they can do - and, from being here, what I sense they might do - is prove such doughty and inconquerable opponents Putin will have to sue for a less than brilliant peace. Or lose another million men gaining 5 sq km

I dunno. Perhaps Putin will seize Kyiv tomorrow. But in terms of human mood - and that is all you sense when you go places - the Ukrainians don’t seem minded to admit defeat. They are grimly set on defending the rest of their country, and fuck the suffering endured thereby

Manpower is still their issue. They have no problem with courage. We must arm them to the teeth to make up for the lack of troops
    It's not manpower, it's equipment, and technology.

With the right equipment, in sufficient quantity, they can win the war with relatively low numbers of additional casualties. Throwing lots of drones at the enemy does not risk your own men all that much. Neither does having advanced airpower.
    The artillery war is where most casualties come from. It chews up men on both sides in a war of attrition.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,381

The people most outraged by Sunak bailing out of Normandy early will be Tory and Reform voters. So it’s not only completely disrespectful, it’s turbocharged political ineptitude. So, very typical of the man.

I'm not saying that Rishi has got a massive spread bet shorting Conservative seats. But...

1. If he had, how would it look different to this?

2. If it emerged that he has been destroying a political party for personal profit, would anyone really be surprised?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,116

SKS fans please explain

https://brusselssignal.eu/2024/06/german-teachers-warn-against-lowering-voting-age-as-youth-shifts-right/

A German teachers’ union has warned against lowering the voting age to 16 for national elections, shortly after polling data showed that the youth in the country are shifting to the Right.

Would they have warned about lowering the voting age if the students were shifting to the left? If not why not?
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 591
    Four post-debate polls and...

The debates have had almost nil effect. Certainly far less than Farage-mania. All the time and energy that are expended on the debates and they are watched by less than 5 million - most of whom have already made up their mind.

Some John Major No 10 staff were on the radio a while back talking about celebrating landing a huge blow to Blair on tax when Blair had to admit his sums were all wrong. They popped the champagne and rejoiced until the polls came out and revealed it had made no change. As one said - When people stop listening to you then it does not matter what you say.

Of course its possible the Cons would have been 25% down by now without the debates. Rather cold comfort that.
  • Options

I didn't give a fuck about the 80th anniversary today.
    Lovely. A tory campaigner speaks.

You really have lost this country, you know.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

Even if it didn’t matter from a historical perspective or out of gravitas and respect, it’s so unbelievably inept politically.

Who do you think were his last remaining core support? The very people who would be following today.
    I honestly think you're all overreacting. I'm not going out to bat for him electorally, but on this he marked the day, attended the commemoration, met veterans, made a speech.
    If Omaha was THE commemoration, fair enough, but it wasn't, it was one of many
    Anyway that's my view, we will see what the voters think
  • Options

boulay said:

Never, ever put the spreadsheet man in charge!

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,082

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

It's no use crying over spilt semen?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

I honestly think you're all overreacting. I'm not going out yobat for him electorallu, but he marked the day, attended the commemoration, met veterans, made a speech.
    My Surrey tory (or ex tory?) friend, with whom I’m currently staying, got up early today (for her) to watch the whole thing from 8 am. She recorded different channels and didn’t step away from viewing until 4pm in order to walk the dogs.

You think this doesn’t matter? Well it really does to the Cons demographic.
  • Options
    On topic - it should be noted pretty much all elections since 2020 have seen the polls under-state Dem support. It may be different with Trump on the ballot but it ain't necessairily so. On the Electoral College Biden needs at most 2% in 3 states to have the majority. If Lab were 3% ahead 5 months ahead of our election the incumbent would be the favorite.

America is a foreign country though - they do things differently there
  • Options

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

It's no use crying over spilt semen?
    There is new zealand where apple flavoured horse semen is 20$ a shot, certainly 20 reasons to cry
  • Options

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

I honestly think you're all overreacting. I'm not going out to bat for him electorally, but on this he marked the day, attended the commemoration, met veterans, made a speech.
    Bailing out early *to campaign* is tone deaf in so many ways.
  • Options

What utter rubbish, Sunak was at Southsea yesterday with Starmer for the UK D Day commemorations.

The Normandy services today were mainly for heads of state. I have just come back from our Parish D Day Anniversary Remembrance in Moreton.
    Playing politics on a day we should be remembering those who gave their lives for freedom is beneath contempt!!!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

But he left the King, Biden, Macron and everyone else as the celebrations continued and David Cameron deputised, whilst Farage and Starmer are filmed actively involved
    The King also left I believe, William represented him. Sunak met veterans, Starmer met veterans, Nigel met veterans, the King met veterans.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I imagine you were glued to the wireless, right?

We all know you're about 23 and masquerading as a serious commentator so I wouldn't try playing with the grown-ups until you've got a few more years under your belt

Xxxxx
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,320

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Is he that tone-deaf, to not know that the commemorations were always going to be today’s biggest story, and that the vast majority of Tory voters and potential voters are way more interested in this than the election, just for one day?
    Should he have run around Normandy attending as many as possible? Or attended the one arranged at the British landing beach with the King and veterans as he did? I don't get the outrage. Had he not gone to Normandy at all, fine. But he did.
    He could have gone to both. He has a helicopter.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472
    Namecheck for our very own @RochdalePioneers on Sophy Ridge tonight - because they are covering the “mess” in the Aberdeenshire seat
  • Options
    Heathener said:

As a year later proved the lads and lasses that won D-Day were Lab supporters!
  • Options
    edited June 6

Heathener said:

We all know you're about 23 and masquerading as a serious commentator so I wouldn't try playing with the grown-ups until you've got a few more years under your belt

Xxxxx
    Ad hominem.

Wrong too, but that’s less important. And do spare the ‘we all think’ or ‘we all know’. You don’t speak for political betting, or even a majority of pb posters all of whom are perfectly able to speak their own mind, so don’t try and claim you do.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories have about 18 hours to do a deal with RefUK, whereby they offer to stand down in about 100 seats where Reform are strongest in return for the party standing down in favour of the Tories in the other constituencies.

That's right: the Conservative Party is in a very difficult place right now. If it enters into a deal, it results in a party to its right with dozens of seats. (And it means standing down in seats where you currently have the MP.)

It will also drive away at least some centrist voters, and ensures plenty of LLG tactical voting.

Basically, the Conservative Party cannot afford to take a deal, and has to hope that Reform flatters to decieve. I.e., they pick up plenty of votes but no seats. Of course, that will stuff the Conservatives and lead to them losing hundreds of seats... but that's the best option for them right now.
    There won't be a deal

But, they should have offered Farage some sort of honour. Even if you don't much like the guy he's a major public figure.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,227

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

There won't be a deal

But, they should have offered Farage some sort of honour. Even if you don't much like the guy he's a major public figure.
    Do we know they didn't?
  • Options
    Nice that Rishi Sunak did make some Normandy commemoration events.

But skipping out early to go "campaigning"?

Reminds me of how George Bush the Elder was caught on camera during one of his POTUS debates with Bill Clinton and Ross Perot (remember him?) looking at his watch.

No Time Left for You - Guess Who
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPX48NpSRvo
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Wow!

Wow!

Well, even if they need to keep replacing bits of you, you'll want to be around for when SKS falls. "Were you up for Reeves?"
    No-one will be up for Reeves.

They'll hit the sack as soon as they see her Death Rigby tribute act.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,504

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

Bailing out early *to campaign* is tone deaf in so many ways.
    If he'd stayed after for a meeting he'd be accused of hiding from the electorate. So he really did need to come and go at the same time as everyone else.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

Tomorrow’s front pages are going to be the Omaha photo with Sunak missing. It’s a massive political fcukup.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Xxxxx
    Ad hominem.

Wrong too, but that’s less important.
    I'd cut CR some slack - he must be having a very tough day.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

The King also left I believe, William represented him. Sunak met veterans, Starmer met veterans, Nigel met veterans, the King met veterans.
    The King left early on the medical advice of his doctors to not over do it.

It's not my cup of tea so I switched off, but quite a big thing for many other Brits.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish, Sunak was at Southsea yesterday with Starmer for the UK D Day commemorations.

The Normandy services today were mainly for heads of state. I have just come back from our Parish D Day Anniversary Remembrance in Moreton.
    Playing politics on a day we should be remembering those who gave their lives for freedom is beneath contempt!!!
    Not sure you thought through your last sentence !!!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300

The people most outraged by Sunak bailing out of Normandy early will be Tory and Reform voters. So it’s not only completely disrespectful, it’s turbocharged political ineptitude. So, very typical of the man.

I think he's just reverted to a fund manager a month or two early
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Xxxxx
    Ad hominem.

Wrong too, but that’s less important. And do spare the ‘we all think’ or ‘we all know’. You don’t speak for political betting, or even a majority of pb posters all of whom are perfectly able to speak their own mind, so don’t try and claim you do.
    I don't claim to speak for anyone else but myself.

I just find it utterly laughable that you do.
  • Options

Calm down.

I love D-Day and Operation Overlord and even I didn't give a fuck about the 80th anniversary today.

It has zero cut through.
    Nice try, but I remember when Hyfud was as unrealistic as you.
  • Options
    I see tonight's Survation has the Tories cutting Labour's lead by 3% and still 8% ahead of Reform
    https://x.com/Survation/status/1798751741057409248
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

There won't be a deal

Do we know they didn't?
    I've heard so.

Farage drives establishment Tories batshit insane.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,981

Correct. Farage and Sky will milk it. The rest of the Press can't avoid it. It's copy.

Who the hell is advising him? Surely someone must have said 'Rishi, no'?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    I can't help but feel that people are missing the point - what's better for Sunak - the evening bulletins leading with Sunak next to world leaders or them covering him deciding to skip a load of them for campaigning where he won't win a single vote?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

The King is also a cancer patient. Which might have something to do with it?
  • Options
    edited June 6

HYUFD said:

The King is UK head of state not Sunak or Sir Keir Starmer.

It was right Sunak paid his respects then left Normandy as the focus was on the King and US and French Presidents leading the memorial. Yesterday was the UK service which Sunak attended in full with other UK politicians
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300

Interesting gender divide emerging. Which way will female don’t knows break?

Apparently if Labour do as well as expected the gender divide in parliament will be the closest ever. Labour are putting up almost an equal number of men and women. It'll make this country after the horror of Brexit feel a lot more civilised
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

I honestly think you're all overreacting. I'm not going out yobat for him electorallu, but he marked the day, attended the commemoration, met veterans, made a speech.
    My Surrey tory (or ex tory?) friend, with whom I’m currently staying, got up early today (for her) to watch the whole thing from 8 am. She recorded different channels and didn’t step away from viewing until 4pm in order to walk the dogs.

Your Surrey Tory friend is either fucking patient, a serious debtor or totally fabricated.

I'll leave it to others to decide which.
  • Options
    And in the news from Iran

"How utterly wonderful.
    Ghalibaf is running his presidency campaign on solving the “illegal migration issue” in the country. This is new in Iran…. As if that would reduce inflation, create jobs and improve the economy, which are people’s main concerns."

https://x.com/APHClarkson/status/1798783534758326527?t=Nqog0HVPxf25SGh-5c5fpw&s=19
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The King is UK head of state not Sir Keir Starmer.

It was right Sunak paid his respects then left Normandy as the focus was on the King and US and French Presidents leading the memorial. Yesterday was the UK service which Sunak attended in full with other UK politicians
    I very much doubt Farage will see it that way nor the media
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,308

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

There won't be a deal

Do we know they didn't?
    I've heard so.

Farage drives establishment Tories batshit insane.
    The tories should have got rid of him by making him High Commissioner to New Zealand or something. That job is just in the sweet spot where it's prestigious enough that he'd take it but not important enough that it'd matter if he fucked it up. Also, 12 time zones away.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,293
    Roger said:

Interesting gender divide emerging. Which way will female don’t knows break?

Apparently if Labour do as well as expected the gender divide in parliament will be the closest ever. Labour are putting up almost an equal number of men and women. It'll make this country after the horror of Brexit feel a lot more civilised
    But are they all lookers?
  • Options

Calm down.

It has zero cut through.
    Nice try, but I remember when Hyfud was as unrealistic as you.
    I love D-Day and (unlike you?) have actually visited all the beaches, except Utah.

But, this simply hasn't registered this year.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was right that Sunak paid his respects.

It wasn’t right that he then left.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,198
    Pagan2 said:

SKS fans please explain

Would they have warned about lowering the voting age if the students were shifting to the left? If not why not?
    I can't answer that - the Representation of the People Act 1969 lowered the voting age to 18 for both men and women. Oddly enough, some Labour people thought it contributed to their defeat in 1970 - they thought young women would be strongly Labour but in the end they were more Conservative.

That said, 25% of those aged 18-21 who became eligible to vote in the 1970 GE didn't put themselves on the register and overall turnout, despite the increased size of the electorate, was down 3% from 1966. That still meant an extra million votes were cast in 1970 over 1966.

Now, there are about 48 million registered electors - last time, just over 32 million voted.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Correct. Farage and Sky will milk it. The rest of the Press can't avoid it. It's copy.

Which just shows how god awful Farage and some of the press can be, trying to make political capital out of a day to remember D Day veterans.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,767
    Pagan2 said:

...There is new zealand where apple flavoured horse semen is 20$ a shot...

Pause

Pause

What??????
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Xxxxx
    Ad hominem.

Well drop the ‘we think x, y, z’ in that case. There is no royal ‘we’ on here and claiming to speak for others is weakness.

I’m sorry you find it ‘utterly laughable’ that I posted on here 2 years ago that Labour were on course for a landslide. Perhaps that’s where you and the Party began to go so wrong? Mocking those who, it turns out, were the kind of people to whom you should have listened.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,051
    HYUFD said:

Which just shows how good awful Farage and some of the press can be, trying to make political capital out of a day to remember D Day veterans.
    But it also shows how crap Rishi and his advisors are - today was a day when cameras are in France, spend the day in France getting filmed by the cameras.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,651
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

right I have to walk to my hotel, can I just say that this trip has renewed my fervour for the Ukrainian cause

The slightly triumphant swagger of Lviv in 2023 has gone - we threw off Putin! We will hurl him into the Azov! Now it is much more gritty determination and sangfroid and fuck it, we endure. And, in its way, that is more admirable. That is true grace, courage under fire, endless endless fire

They have lost 100,000s of their finest young men - and still they fight. And fight. And fight. And they will not fucking lie down. I am humbled by them. They need everything we can give them

Well done, Leon. More joy in heaven, and all that.
    I’ve never NOT wanted Ukraine to prevail. I despise Putin and would like him and his cronies pushed out of a window. I’ve just doubted Ukraine can win and I still seriously doubt they can win. I’m fairly sure they can’t, in fact - in terms of regaining all Ukraine including Crimea it seems unlikely

But what they can do - and, from being here, what I sense they might do - is prove such doughty and inconquerable opponents Putin will have to sue for a less than brilliant peace. Or lose another million men gaining 5 sq km

I dunno. Perhaps Putin will seize Kyiv tomorrow. But in terms of human mood - and that is all you sense when you go places - the Ukrainians don’t seem minded to admit defeat. They are grimly set on defending the rest of their country, and fuck the suffering endured thereby

Manpower is still their issue. They have no problem with courage. We must arm them to the teeth to make up for the lack of troops
    It's not manpower, it's equipment, and technology.

With the right equipment, in sufficient quantity, they can win the war with relatively low numbers of additional casualties. Throwing lots of drones at the enemy does not risk your own men all that much. Neither does having advanced airpower.
    The artillery war is where most casualties come from. It chews up men on both sides in a war of attrition.
    If the US was fighting this war then, (1) Russian air defences would be taken out, then, (2) Russian artillery would be systematically hunted down and eliminated.

I think that, with enough support, in technological development, finance, manufacturing, drones can probably do a lot of this. Hunt down Russian artillery, give it nowhere to hide, with an avalanche of drones.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The King has cancer. Sunak has terminal stupidity.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,981
    Meanwhile, things are hotting up in Dallas.....

Pakistan
    159/7
    United States of America Flag
    United States of America
    (16.1/20 ov, T:160) 127/3
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was right that Sunak paid his respects.

It wasn’t right that he then left.
    Is Sunak the King or Prince of Wales? No so right he left when he did rather than try and draw attention from them on a day focused on heads of state and veterans
  • Options
    edited June 6

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

Your Surrey Tory friend is either fucking patient, a serious debtor or totally fabricated.

She’s very patient, owns a million pound house without a mortgage, and has a tidy income from investments.

She feels a huge debt of gratitude to those who gave their lives, which includes some of her relatives. Visiting their graves with her in far off lands was incredibly moving.

And she’s a really kind, polite, and lovely person. Unlike you. You really aren’t helping your Party’s cause by posting all your vitriol on here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I see tonight's Survation has the Tories cutting Labour's lead by 3% and still 8% ahead of Reform

And leading to a Labour majority of 326, according to Electoral Calculus
  • Options
    Keith Vaz standing as an independent

https://x.com/tomhfh/status/1798786194945487041
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Which just shows how god awful Farage and some of the press can be, trying to make political capital out of a day to remember D Day veterans.
    Canvassing whilst world leaders are together is political deaf and he deserves to have to face the critics
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Xxxxx
    Ad hominem.

Well drop the ‘we think x, y, z’ in that case. There is no royal ‘we’ on here and claiming to speak for others is weakness.

I’m sorry you find it ‘utterly laughable’ that I posted on here 2 years ago that Labour were on course for a landslide. Perhaps that’s where you and the Party began to go so wrong? Mocking those who, it turns out, were the kind of people to whom you should have listened.

Lol. There are lots of people I listen to here from across all sides of the political divide.

Sadly, you're not one of them.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I can't answer that - the Representation of the People Act 1969 lowered the voting age to 18 for both men and women. Oddly enough, some Labour people thought it contributed to their defeat in 1970 - they thought young women would be strongly Labour but in the end they were more Conservative.

That said, 25% of those aged 18-21 who became eligible to vote in the 1970 GE didn't put themselves on the register and overall turnout, despite the increased size of th me electorate, was down 3% from 1966. That still meant an extra million votes were cast in 19over 1966.
    7ectors - last time, just over 32 million voted
    I wasn't poking at lowering voting age though I do disagee with it. I was merely questioning the "dont give 16 year olds the vote because they might vote right wing...." You can certainly argue why 16 year olds should vote it shouldn't however be based on who they might vote for and certainly shouldn't be argued against because they may vote one way you dont like
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

What the f***?

Oh come on.

She’s very patient, owns a million pound house without a mortgage, and has a tidy income from investments.

She feels a huge debt of gratitude to those who have their lives, which includes some of her relatives. Visiting their graves with her in far off lands was incredibly moving.

And she’s a really kind, polite, and lovely person. Unlike you. You really aren’t helping your Party’s cause by posting all your vitriol on here.
    You ain't seen nothing yet.

Four weeks to go.

Brace yourself.
  • Options

Keith Vaz standing as an independent

https://x.com/tomhfh/status/1798786194945487041

He has a lot of support in the Constituency, even now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Canvassing whilst world leaders are together is political deaf and he deserves to have to face the critics
    He wasn't canvassing, Sunak has done no election events today.

I have checked the BBC, Telegraph, Guardian and Mail sites and none have picked up this non story in their headlines. Indeed the main story in the Mail now is the sad disappearance of Dr Michael Mosley in Greece
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,381
    HYUFD said:

Farage and the right wing press (especially the right wing press) are utterly cynical and ruthless in making political capital out of minor issues to hurt those they don't like?

Captain Renault in Casablanca applies, I believe.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,051
    edited June 6
    https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1798792429102862411
    Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Not sure heading home early back was best idea for PM

And remember that's the Sun's chief political reporter - emphasising that Rishi went home as SKS talked with Volodymyr Zelenskyy
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    edited June 6
    However important you consider attending all D-Day events, surely the point is that face to face campaigning is meaningless - as throughout the whole campaign nobody is going to meet more than approx 0.001% of the electorate.

All that matters is how what you do looks on TV / internet / social media.

So it couldn't be wrong to just stay for all D-Day events.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,293
    edited June 6
    Yeah, to be fair, many (including me) were unfair on Sunak, he just missed the US commemoration. Looking into it, that isn’t too unusual GE or no GE. But it won’t matter - he gets no benefit of the doubt, and that’s his fault.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,198
    Evening all :)

I haven't commented much on Ukraine mainly from ignorance.

The current situation seems to work well for most of the world - not of course Ukraine or even Russia. After the initial hiatus, the world has adapted and if I were a cynic, I'd argue those who supply arms to both sides are probably quite content with the current impasse.

Providing the means to continue the slaughter without either side gaining a decisive advantage suits a lot of people just as it did when Iraq and Iran fought each other in the mid 80s. Some sold arms to one side, some to the other and some more to both.

With calls to rearm and increase defence spending widespread across Europe, it looks as though the defence and security industries are set to continue to "enjoy" the current situation and the political profile of armed forces continues to be strong and protects them from the kind of budget presures and scrutiny placed on other sectors.
  • Options
    eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

And remember that's the Sun's chief political reporter - emphasising that Rishi went home as SKS talked with Volodymyr Zelenskyy

Prime Ministerial
  • Options
    eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Well exactly.

But thankfully these two guys met. Z must be wondering what the F is happening in the the UK that he’s the fourth PM since the war started.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And leading to a Labour majority of 326, according to Electoral Calculus
    But, smart cookies will note the right wing vote sums to 38% there.

The political divide hasn't gone away. It's stayed at home or split.

Labour very very easily lose their majority next time.
  • Options
    eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Exactly
This discussion has been closed.