Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Parties – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,767
    So, I recall a few PBers predicting SCon gains and a couple floating a ‘value’ punt for the SNP to lose all their seats. Anyone care to nail their flags to those particular masts today?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,191
    Farooq said:

There's a very Faragy What Three Words: Frog.Fittingly.Leader

https://what3words.com/frog.fittingly.leader

Care to guess where it is?

If you want a Rishi-flavoured W3W in his constituency
    https://what3words.com/short.custodian.special
    or maybe
    https://what3words.com/steepest.flush.salary
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,088
    Is an attempt at what US elections call a October surprise being prepared to be run?

https://order-order.com/2024/06/06/times-now-reports-on-the-labour-love-affair-setting-tongues-wagging/
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,328
    Andy_JS said:
    That’s because they don’t want to be shot in the back by TSE.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Higher than I imagined.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 981

kle4 said:

"Nigel Farage may be about to pull off a once-in-a-century political realignment

We could be just days away from a tipping point in the polls when Reform overtakes the Conservatives"

"Farage’s re-entry into British politics has set off a chain reaction with uncontrollable and unpredictable consequences. The Tories are on the verge of being sucked into a death spiral. The wets and other centrist-dad wannabes must face facts: they bear full responsibility for the possible demise of their once great party."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/05/tory-left-driving-party-to-annihilation-at-farage-hands/

The more they encourage their readers to do it by saying it is likely the more it may happen.

It's notable just how much formerly Tory commentators despise the party and clearly want it to be replaced.
    Picture if you will a scenario like this.

1. Before nominations close tomorrow, Farage announces a number of Tory defections. He publishes a list of 100+ Reform target seats and states they will focus their attention on those seats. Reiterating Tories cannot win and that Tory voters need to come across to Reform.

2. Farage has a good debate.

3. Crossover happens in a poll or two. The MSM picks up on this and a narrative starts to run that Reform can beat the Tories.

4. The DM, Telegraph and Express endorse Reform and reiterate the message.

5. The movement from the Tories to Reform in the polls becomes less of a trickle and more of a flood.

7. GE night, Reform take votes from Tories and Labour and come second in seat count. The Tories essentially collapse and are wiped out. Labour get their stonking majority, and a new populist right wing opposition.

This is obviously fantasy politics. But the mood is febrile. I don’t think it’s impossible this could happen. But it’s the crossover at 3 that matters. If that doesn’t happen, the rest of it won’t fall into place.
    Here's my personal take on this, as a probable Tory/Reform swing voter; I expect my logic below will not be atypical of people in my position.

I would rather have a Reform government than a Tory one, mostly because I think we have to get immigration down to solve the long term issues the country faces, and I don't believe that for all the noise, the Tories will do actually do anything about immigration.

I would rather have a Tory government than a Labour one, not from any great love for the Tories but because on almost every issue I expect Labour to be even worse (more tax, which will mostly get spent wastefully on pay rises for the public sector, more immigration, more "green" spending with very dubious rates of return, more expensive regulations for everything).

I live in High Peak which in 2019 was a Tory-Lab marginal. Last time round I voted Tory, and would have done so even had the Brexit party stood.

This time round, there is zero chance the current Tory holds it on current polling, so I might as well express my true preference and vote Reform.

If I lived in a seat that the Tories might conceivably hang onto, it would all depend on how Reform are polling; I might vote for the Tory if I looked like it would keep Labour out, however if we reach crossover I'd definitely be voting Reform.

If there are a reasonable number of people who think like me, then once Reform reach a certain point in the polls (and they aren't far off now), the dam breaks, and it's probably the end for the Tories.

Farrage as Leader of the Opposition would be epic for popcorn sales and terrible for Starmer - I would think he'd almost certainly he'd lose in 5 years time to a Farrage/Tory rump coupon.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,458
    edited June 6

So, I recall a few PBers predicting SCon gains and a couple floating a ‘value’ punt for the SNP to lose all their seats. Anyone care to nail their flags to those particular masts today?

SNP won't lose all their seats certainly but there's some chance of SCon gaining one or two, it depends where the SNP vote ends up. Perth and Kinross, Angus and the glens, Argyll look interesting battles,although I think Luke G might have pissed off the good folk of Perth at the hustings
  • Options
    edited June 6
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

So can we conclude that Douglas Ross finally understands his true chances of ever becoming First Minister?

He never had any chance of being First Minister. The next FM, assuming Swinney does not resign in disgrace after losing a very large number of MPs, is Sarwar. At the moment he is leader of the opposition. In the next Parliament that will probably be Kate Forbes.

This has been the life of a Tory in Scotland since the 1950s. I very much doubt it will have come as a surprise to him.
    I’m sure I’ve frequently seen the hashtags #ruth4FM, #ross4FM and most tittersome, #jackson4FM.
    I'm sure you have, a hashtag doesn't mean it's remotely possible and may only be being posted for the Lols.
    The SCon enthusiasts posting them are not known for their humorousness, particularly not when it comes to lol at their own noisily impotent pols.
    I can see why you might think that only those who think an independent Scotland is a good idea have a sense of humour but I can assure you that is not the case.
    The number of SCons who went baws deep for Truss and her economic policies was certainly funny in a grim sort of a way, but I'm not sure D.Ross and co saw the joke even in retrospect.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,981
    edited June 6
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

At the PO Inquiry, Alice Perkins just accused Paula Vennells of lying.

Former Post office Chair Alice Perkins is wife of Jack Straw and Labour, former Post Office CEO Paula Vennells was given a CBE by Tory PM Theresa May
    Don't think that's relevant - the entire Post Office board is now a sack of cats all trying to pin the blame on anyone who isn't themselves..
    Can’t get enough popcorn for this! I can see the whole lot of them being done.
    They all deserve to be done, but the scandal encompassed the entire organisation over more than twenty years, so the numbers would truly reach into four figures. Even the Nurenberg Trials, with which the scandal shows some depressing similarities, only prosecuted 199 defendants.

My guess is that the biggest and smallest fish will be the ones to slip through the net. They will pass over the so-called investigators, secretaries and PR people, and also the Board (but scapegoat Vennells). That probably gives them about twenty or so convictions, which should be enough to satisfy the mob.

I can't see any lawyers getting done. Their misdemeanours will no doubt be considered by the Law Society, which I expect will ensure that the more serious offenders are made to stay behind after school, or be given lines.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986
    It seems just Sunak's luck that the only areas where the public think has got better since 2010 are all the ones that his own party doesn't fully support

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,161

Saw my first garden placard today in Norwich, a Green. Looks suspiciously like one left over from the locals though!

I saw a Green one yesterday, strategically placed opposite Kingham Station (Oxfordshire). Yet to see a Blue one anywhere.

Round here it's a sea of Yellow.
    Kingham is a little pocket of Green support - the LibDems have stood down for them in local elections a couple of times. The Greens aren't actively campaigning round here though, as far as I can see.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,662
    Andy_JS said:
    Is happily fight for France. As long as we got to keep some nice bits afterwards. Aquitaine and Normandy are ours anyway. That’s a nice start
  • Options
    Two Lib Dem officials arrested in Harrogate over election issues from the LEs. DYOR but Tories available at 11/4 to hold here.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,094

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

So can we conclude that Douglas Ross finally understands his true chances of ever becoming First Minister?

He never had any chance of being First Minister. The next FM, assuming Swinney does not resign in disgrace after losing a very large number of MPs, is Sarwar. At the moment he is leader of the opposition. In the next Parliament that will probably be Kate Forbes.

This has been the life of a Tory in Scotland since the 1950s. I very much doubt it will have come as a surprise to him.
    I’m sure I’ve frequently seen the hashtags #ruth4FM, #ross4FM and most tittersome, #jackson4FM.
    I'm sure you have, a hashtag doesn't mean it's remotely possible and may only be being posted for the Lols.
    The SCon enthusiasts posting them are not known for their humorousness, particularly not when it comes to lol at their own noisily impotent pols.
    I can see why you might think that only those who think an independent Scotland is a good idea have a sense of humour but I can assure you that is not the case.
    The number of SCons who went baws deep for Truss and her economic policies was certainly funny in a grim sort of a way, but I'm not sure D.Ross and co saw the joke even in retrospect.
    Duguid was a big supporter of Truss. And made a minister for 5 minutes as a reward.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,580
    DM_Andy said:

It seems just Sunak's luck that the only areas where the public think has got better since 2010 are all the ones that his own party doesn't fully support

So not even 10% think its better on the vast majority of factors. It is a shockingly bad scorecard.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Two Lib Dem officials arrested in Harrogate over election issues from the LEs. DYOR but Tories available at 11/4 to hold here.

Dodgy Lib Dem leaflets...never...

North Yorkshire Police are investigating the party members in Harrogate after campaign material wrongly claimed the Green Party were not contesting a by-election.

The North Yorkshire Council poll for the Stray, Woodlands and Hookstone ward took place in March after former Liberal Democrat Pat Marsh resigned. A leaflet distributed to households said the Greens had '"stood down" when they had actually fielded a candidate. The Liberal Democrats blamed the misinformation on a "printing mistake".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clww9l5ryppo
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Grumpy, but informative:

I'm not talking much about the general election tax debate. Because it's irrelevant. The few £bn being discussed is dwarfed by the actual tax UK tax increases over the last few years, and the further tax increases we'll almost certainly see in the future.

Grumpy thread:

https://x.com/danneidle/status/1798674346103480735?
  • Options
    We all know it coming.

Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor, is reportedly under pressure from Labour frontbenchers to increase capital gains tax. Some shadow cabinet ministers are pushing for the change to be made at an autumn Budget to raise more money for public services, The Guardian reported.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,060

DM_Andy said:

So not even 10% think its better on the vast majority of factors. It is a shockingly bad scorecard.
    How on earth has 'action the UK is taking on climate change' have a greater score for worse than better? This illustrates more than anything else the lack of objectivity of this poll.
  • Options
    Reform UK has said it will abolish inheritance tax for estates worth under £2 million in a pledge that increases pressure on the Conservatives to promise their own changes...

Tories been beaten to the punch messing about with nonsense national service type policies.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,925
    JACK_W said:

Awash with yellow peril litter in St Albans and Harpenden. One Labour poster in Kimpton. Nil Tory even in leafiest areas.

Any Whig Party posters?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,973
    ToryJim said:

Glad to see TSE is recovering from his encounter with the barber surgeon. Hopefully his recovery to full health will be swift, aided one imagines by a timely course of leeches.

About three to four months before I can resume a normal life. Abscess was huge.

No driving for six weeks etc.

Worst of all no nookie for a similar period.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Grumpy, but informative:

I'm not talking much about the general election tax debate. Because it's irrelevant. The few £bn being discussed is dwarfed by the actual tax UK tax increases over the last few years, and the further tax increases we'll almost certainly see in the future.

Grumpy thread:

And even clearer why all BS about VAT on private schools for £1bn isn't really anything to do with tax raising.

Unless massive growth returns to the economy swiftly, there is true danger of a doom loop of ever increasing taxes (directly and indirectly). But no everybody is arguing over things like gendered toilets.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101

I am glad Douglas Ross isn’t involved with PB.

Lord knows what he would have done with me this week whilst I was in hospital.

Op went well, should be released tomorrow.

Good luck with your release - in my experience it was one of the things the NHS did poorly, with several patients delayed by several days. I was told I could go home on Tuesday - didn’t happen until Thursday. On the positive side, the really important bits - the operations went very well.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DM_Andy said:

How on earth has 'action the UK is taking on climate change' have a greater score for worse than better? This illustrates more than anything else the lack of objectivity of this poll.
    It depends a bit on how you interpret the question I suppose.

Is it to be baselined against expectations/capability at the time or absolute? If in 2034 the next government has improved "action the UK is taking" but only by 1% I'd consider that a big failure relative to now, even if in absolute terms we are taking more action.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,065
    Fireworks in a few minutes:-)
  • Options

Reform UK has said it will abolish inheritance tax for estates worth under £2 million in a pledge that increases pressure on the Conservatives to promise their own changes...

Tories been beaten to the punch messing about with nonsense national service type policies.

They'll scrap it entirely.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Glad to see TSE is recovering from his encounter with the barber surgeon. Hopefully his recovery to full health will be swift, aided one imagines by a timely course of leeches.

More time to concentrate on the excitement of the GE ;-)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,075
    edited June 6

ToryJim said:

So, a man of leisure for the next six weeks?

I hope you have plenty of popcorn in.

It's just what this doctor ordered 🍿 🍿 🍿
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Foxy said:

Saw my first garden placard today in Norwich, a Green. Looks suspiciously like one left over from the locals though!

I saw a Green one yesterday, strategically placed opposite Kingham Station (Oxfordshire). Yet to see a Blue one anywhere.

Round here it's a sea of Yellow.
    I have seen 4 LD diamonds in Leicester East. Not a plausible target.
    :smile:
  • Options

Good luck with your release - in my experience it was one of the things the NHS did poorly, with several patients delayed by several days. I was told I could go home on Tuesday - didn’t happen until Thursday. On the positive side, the really important bits - the operations went very well.
    They have been open with me, the size of the abscess and my diabetes means they want to be cautious with the recovery.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

More time to concentrate on the excitement of the GE ;-)
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Electoral Commission has updated its donations database for Q1 2024. Zero reportable donations to the SNP. Just the regular “short money” allocation from the House of Commons, which is very likely to collapse after the general election.

https://x.com/staylorish/status/1798614146839347245

So if they lose half their Short money, they’re pretty much screwed as a party, left with membership fees and begging for tithes from elected MPs and MSPs.
    Yeah, the SNP definitely need to get a few millionaire racists in tow.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ToryJim said:

So, a man of Leisure for the next six weeks?

I hope you have plenty of popcorn in.

It's just what this doctor ordered 🍿 🍿 🍿
    Not quite.

I’ll be working w/b the 17th.

But not much physical activity for a while.
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/06/05/yorkshire-brewery-madri-beer-coors/

Did people really not know is? That basically every brand beer is made by AB InBev or Heineken. On thing the article gets wrong, San Miguel isn't European, its Filipino.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,818
    One engine out already
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,651
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Woman mauled to death posted video dancing of her with XL bully to song saying 'I don't 'give a f***' about the breed being banned"

https://news.sky.com/story/woman-mauled-to-death-posted-video-dancing-of-her-with-xl-bully-to-song-saying-i-dont-give-a-f-about-the-breed-being-banned-13148665

Don't think they are banned in RoI. Though our ban is hardly effective - a pug got savaged down the road from me a few days ago. Think the dog is still extant.
    They might be banned in Ireland soon after the current inept Justice Minister is replaced following the election, due early next year.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,982

North Yorkshire Police are investigating the party members in Harrogate after campaign material wrongly claimed the Green Party were not contesting a by-election.

The North Yorkshire Council poll for the Stray, Woodlands and Hookstone ward took place in March after former Liberal Democrat Pat Marsh resigned. A leaflet distributed to households said the Greens had '"stood down" when they had actually fielded a candidate. The Liberal Democrats blamed the misinformation on a "printing mistake".

No such thing as a “printing mistake”. If you’re the registered agent, you’re personally responsible for all the leaflets that go out with your name on them.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,820
    edited June 6

Andy_JS said:
    Higher than I imagined.
    Just noticed that only 30% would fight to defend the UK from an invasion. Shocking.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Sandpit said:

No such thing as a “printing mistake”. If you’re the registered agent, you’re personally responsible for all the leaflets that go out with your name on them.
    And of course Lib Dems have particular form on LE leaflets being dodgy as hell.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

There's a very Faragy What Three Words: Frog.Fittingly.Leader

https://what3words.com/frog.fittingly.leader

Care to guess where it is?

If you want a Rishi-flavoured W3W in his constituency
    https://what3words.com/short.custodian.special
    or maybe
    https://what3words.com/steepest.flush.salary
    You can have a Keir Starmer one too:

https://what3words.com/loses.economies.myself
  • Options

She flies!
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 401
    edited June 6

Do tell?

Edit: missed the above and assumed some big new poll was coming haha!
  • Options

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Duguid was a big supporter of Truss. And made a minister for 5 minutes as a reward.
    5 minutes too long. Not keen on kicking him when he's down but since I've said it before I'll say it again: but he was fucking useless.
  • Options
    From what I can see, fewer tiles lost this time as well. :)
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

ToryJim said:

Yeah abscesses are a grim thing. My mother developed one a few years back after major surgery, so they couldn’t risk surgery to drain it. She is also allergic to quite a few antibiotics, so she was on massive amounts of the ones she could take plus regular scans to ensure the abscess was reducing. Took 6 months to fix and another 6 months to fully recover.

So it could have been far worse. I’m sure 6 weeks abstinence will do you the power of good, plus you can use the time to profitably search out new pop culture references for future pb threads.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472

Is an attempt at what US elections call a October surprise being prepared to be run?

https://order-order.com/2024/06/06/times-now-reports-on-the-labour-love-affair-setting-tongues-wagging/

Do sex and drugs stories even matter any more? Does anyone care?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,420
    Spash down
  • Options
    Woooo! Nailed the soft splashdown!
  • Options
    booster standing on the water. :)
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

Grumpy, but informative:

Grumpy thread:

And even clearer why all BS about VAT on private schools for £1bn isn't really anything to do with tax raising.

Unless massive growth returns to the economy swiftly, there is true danger of a doom loop of ever increasing taxes (directly and indirectly). But no everybody is arguing over things like gendered toilets.
    As I clearly explained, VAT on private schools is about families and their aspirations being the bedrock of Great Britain - all Labour understand is the individual and the state, so every child must go to state school.

I should have mailed the “aspiration” argument to the Marx Bothers, for amount of damage Sunak made with it when the VAT on private schools question DID come up in Tuesdays debate. All Rishi and his campaign can think about is tax. If he had attacked Starmer on not understanding aspiration of families, as the Conservative response would have been in any such debate throughout the electorally successful 1980’s, he would not have bombed so badly.

Sunak is in the Conservative Party, but he has not a clue what Conservatism is, what he should stand up for, where votes for him actually are.
  • Options
    Nailed that landing!
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986
    Sandpit said:

And even anything that doesn't have your name on them. One local election campaign I was agent for about 20 candidates. One particular candidate decided to print his own leaflet and distributed it without an imprint, worse it libeled one of his opponents. Cue angry phone calls and discussions with lawyers and we got an agreement with the opposition for us print a letter (wording agreed with the opposition) to deliver to all households in the ward with a grovelling apology for the previous leaflet. Not what I wanted every volunteer for the entire CLP to do on the eve of poll but it did keep me out of a courtroom.

• Options
    Second stage shutdown, in orbit. Wow.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Taz said:

More from @IpsosUK

How much trouble is Rishi Sunak in? Look at his leader satisfaction ratings going into a General Election vs past Prime Ministers...

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1798628603330166935

Every marker is pointing to a 1997 result. I know we don't believe it - well some of us don't - but it's time to consider that it really is going to happen on current trends.

I think @Heathener will be vindicated with her predictions of a 97 meltdown which, to be fair to her, were made well in advance of the election.

The only thing I still think is wrong is the level of visceral anger she says there is. I just see apathy and I think you are right in another of your posts re- SKS approval rating. People have made their minds up and very little will change it.

I am still thinking 175-200 Tory seats and a decent labour majority. But who knows.
    There is nothing like the enthusiasm for LAB that there was in 1997. However CON are in a much worse state now. So LAB could well get 400+, 200 or maybe slightly more is now at the top of any realistic CON expectations.
    That's a bit different to what you put in Benpointers Excellent Competition, Pubman!
    Let’s not go mocking anyone for their predictions in that competition. I definitely have no ulterior motive in saying that…..

Oh, the NOMs have already been referred to the Disciplinary Committee, Biggles, but I understand no charges will be brought until after the Election.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,420
    Amazing scenes in space.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I understand the NHS still use leeches.

For some specific issues, they are the best thing to use.
  • Options
    edited June 6

I think it depends a) how you sell yourself and b) some nuance of the situation.

If you haven't gone all back to basics, i am whiter than white, had an affair, no. All this stuff never really stuck to Boris, because he never tried to push that angle. However, Hancock, it torpedoed him, due to the hypocrisy of having an affair during COVID and also because he was spending all day telling everybody not to do this.

In US, Edwards candidacy was finished when it was exposed he was having affair while his wife had cancer. Trump, makes no difference that he shags around, because he doesn't moralise about it.

Lets just entertain this rumour for a second. I think it looks slightly worse you have got your wife and mistress up the duff at the same time, then it is suggested washed your hands from responsibility of your child by the mistress.
  • Options
    edited June 6

One engine out already

Impressive that it can apparently still do its job minus an engine. There's a lot to be said for fault tolerance and redundancy.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,925

Paul Staines does if it's anyone other than Boris Johnson
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 759
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    Higher than I imagined.
    Just noticed that only 30% would fight to defend the UK from an invasion. Shocking.
    It's a theoretical question - if the Russians were at the Channel coast I suspect it might be a bit higher.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

I thought their proper title was Private Providers
  • Options

SNP won't lose all their seats certainly but there's some chance of SCon gaining one or two, it depends where the SNP vote ends up. Perth and Kinross, Angus and the glens, Argyll look interesting battles,although I think Luke G might have pissed off the good folk of Perth at the hustings
    Some chance certainly, but I think SCons aren't the ideal vehicle for tactical voting and this latest bit of shittiness won't help. See below.

https://x.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1797970849741541877
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,662

ToryJim said:

Kinell. That’s not fun. Sympathies

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,764

I thought there might be some Scon gains somewhere in all the tactical voting chaos.

To be fair on me, who could've predicted this particular manoeuvre from Ross.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,700
    Sandpit said:

Not quite orbit - that is deliberate. It’s a very near orbital trajectory, but one that will re-intersect with Earth inevitably.

Until they can demonstrate fully controlled re-entry that’s what they will do - you don’t want a spare skyscraper randomly coming down, just anywhere.
  • Options

Some chance certainly, but I think SCons aren't the ideal vehicle for tactical voting and this latest bit of shittiness won't help. See below.

https://x.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1797970849741541877
    Indeed. I'm keeping an eye on the polling before committing to any bets
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

They they just land it on the water rather than a drone ship?
  • Options

One engine out already

Impressive that it can apparently still do its job minus an engine. There's a lot to be said for fault tolerance.
    Depending on the exact mission, and the location of the failures, it can lose up to a handful of the 33 on the first stage and the others will cover for it.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

ToryJim said:

Farooq 🥺 I actually LIKED that post
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,683
    JACK_W said:

Awash with yellow peril litter in St Albans and Harpenden. One Labour poster in Kimpton. Nil Tory even in leafiest areas.

Tories haven't even started putting them up yet down here.

As they have such a short life expectency, we do it nearer polling day...

Greetings, Jack.
  • Options

Farooq said:

ToryJim said:

Farooq 🥺 I actually LIKED that post
    Sorry, I'll try harder
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,235
    The French should have provided Joe Biden with a chair.

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1798685173216927843
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    Higher than I imagined.
    Ukraine has approx 2m fighting out of 33m.

"Would you want to fight in the British Army in each of the following circumstances?"

I would if needed, but I certaintly wouldn't "want" to, its a least bad scenario.

People will be answering different questions here.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

That was the plan. SH is planned to be return and be caught at its launch tower, but they do not want to risk that until they know they have enough control of it. Ditto landing the SS component on land.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

Yes, it was the first attempt to land back the Starship first stage.

As with the original Falcon 9 landings, they’ll do the first few straight into the drink, until they’re happy enough they can nail a target to deploy the drone ships.

The first job is to make it land in (for example) a 1km square, then a 100m square, then a 10m square.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Not quite orbit - that is deliberate. It’s a very near orbital trajectory, but one that will re-intersect with Earth inevitably.

Until they can demonstrate fully controlled re-entry that’s what they will do - you don’t want a spare skyscraper randomly coming down, just anywhere.
    Hopefully we'll see that demonstrated in 20 minutes or so.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 628

It might even attract a bit of the Reform vote.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,683

Excellent news. Welcome back! 👍
    I’m not really back. Yet.
    We’ve missed you. Abscess makes the heart grow fonder.
    As long as the heart doesn't grow fondant, you'll be fine.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

The plan is for all boosters to return to the launch site, hover and be caught by arms on the launch tower (aka “the chop sticks”)

Until accurate landing is proven, they will ditch the boosters.
  • Options

He really isn't all there. In years to come I am sure we will get the inside story of what has actually been happening the past few years and who actually makes the decisions.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,943

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    Higher than I imagined.
    It's a theoretical question - if the Russians were at the Channel coast I suspect it might be a bit higher.
    Quite. The thought of having to fight doesn’t really sound that appealing in isolation. If an invasion is imminent and my whole way of life is threatened, it becomes a more immediate concern.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,518

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

For the first few times. It doesn't have legs. The plan is, once they have proven it will come down on target and hover, to hover it next to the launch tower then catch it. Amazing if they get it to work - then it will become the new normal.

In their pre-launch talk, the announcer said their planned tempo is to build one new Starship booster a day. I think they might mean launch one a day, but it might really be build as they want to get millions of tonnes to orbit.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

Yes, it was the first attempt to land back the Starship first stage.

As with the original Falcon 9 landings, they’ll do the first few straight into the drink, until they’re happy enough they can nail a target to deploy the drone ships.

The first job is to make it land in (for example) a 1km square, then a 100m square, then a 10m square.
    No drone ships for Super Heavy. Home to the chopsticks every time.

Should someone sue Blue Origin about their planning on using a barge? :-) :-)
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 628
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    Higher than I imagined.
    To be fair, would you actually "want" to fight?

And as for the other choices, 10-15% is probably about the same size as the group who think they'd win a fight with a Grizzly Bear.
  • Options

Poor guy. Seriously, what are the Democrats playing at by running him again?

Did his handlers miss that he’d be standing for the presentation, and did the French protocol department not realise that Biden can’t stand for any length of time?
  • Options
    edited June 6

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

The plan is for all boosters to return to the launch site, hover and be caught by arms on the launch tower (aka “the chop sticks”)

Are the boosters too big for the usual drone ship approach? Or is this the new overall plan to always return boosters to original launch pad?
  • Options

Excellent news. Welcome back! 👍
    I’m not really back. Yet.
    We’ve missed you. Abscess makes the heart grow fonder.
    As long as the heart doesn't grow fondant, you'll be fine.
    Fondue even worse..
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

Are the boosters too big for the usual drone ship approach? Or is this the new overall plan to always return boosters to original launch pad?
    It takes time to get a drone ship back to shore. The idea about landing it on the launch tower is that it can be quickly recycled for another launch.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,943

He really isn't all there. In years to come I am sure we will get the inside story of what has actually been happening the past few years and who actually makes the decisions.
    But yet there are people in many quarters who say “nothing to see here, move along, he’s absolutely fine” when the evidence is right before your eyes that he clearly isn’t fine.

That messaging has been so, so damaging. He really should have retired this year.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

For the first few times. It doesn't have legs. The plan is, once they have proven it will come down on target and hover, to hover it next to the launch tower then catch it. Amazing if they get it to work - then it will become the new normal.

In their pre-launch talk, the announcer said their planned tempo is to build one new Starship booster a day. I think they might mean launch one a day, but it might really be build as they want to get millions of tonnes to orbit.
    The main thing slowing down the build rate is lack of places to put them.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

The ultimate plan is not to ‘stage’ the rocket at all, and have the whole thing land back on the pad with the ‘chopsticks’, to be recycled in a few hours like an A380 is today.

It’ll be interesting to watch how the intermediate stages play out.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,196
    "Rachel Reeves under pressure from shadow ministers to raise capital gains tax to revive public services

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jun/06/rachel-reeves-under-pressure-from-shadow-ministers-to-raise-capital-gains-tax-to-revive-public-services

One former Treasury official said: “In the end, not least for demographic reasons, this country is going to have to pay more tax and Labour is going to have to find ways to raise it. The British people are crying out for an honest conversation about this.”

Some in Labour agree that a failure to admit they will have to raise taxes could become a “credibility issue” with the public, business leaders and international investors."

This is why, when Labour do start raising taxes, all this stuff about the Tories being liars will come back to bite them.

Both Parties are going to have to do something to raise tax to raise the money they need. They will not do it by growth, they will not doing it through closing loopholes, effeciency savings or the measures already announced.

People like taxes when they do not affect them so expect more stealth taxes.

Neither party is being honest on this with us. Labour can say the Tories are lying about specifics but they do have uncosted plans and are not telling us how that gap will be filled.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472

Wrong. He is all there. He is weak on his feet at times, as one would expect for an 81-year-old. I find the ageist sneering about him pretty ugly to be honest.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,052
    Taz said:

"Rachel Reeves under pressure from shadow ministers to raise capital gains tax to revive public services

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jun/06/rachel-reeves-under-pressure-from-shadow-ministers-to-raise-capital-gains-tax-to-revive-public-services

One former Treasury official said: “In the end, not least for demographic reasons, this country is going to have to pay more tax and Labour is going to have to find ways to raise it. The British people are crying out for an honest conversation about this.”

Some in Labour agree that a failure to admit they will have to raise taxes could become a “credibility issue” with the public, business leaders and international investors."

This is why, when Labour do start raising taxes, all this stuff about the Tories being liars will come back to bite them.

Both Parties are going to have to do something to raise tax to raise the money they need. They will not do it by growth, they will not doing it through closing loopholes, effeciency savings or the measures already announced.

People like taxes when they do not affect them so expect more stealth taxes.

Neither party is being honest on this with us. Labour can say the Tories are lying about specifics but they do have uncosted plans and are not telling us how that gap will be filled.

You can't be honest when the current Government has given working people a massive £1600 tax cut that cannot be justified based on spending cuts that don't exist.
  • Options

But yet there are people in many quarters who say “nothing to see here, move along, he’s absolutely fine” when the evidence is right before your eyes that he clearly isn’t fine.

That messaging has been so, so damaging. He really should have retired this year.
    The GOP are even more stupid that they are wed to the cult of Trump. Two old crazy guys screaming at the moon.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Sandpit said:

Nailed that landing!

Simpler and quicker to return to launch site.

It’s a major drag on Falcon 9 flight rate to have boosters steaming back on a barge for quite a while. Sea ops are always expensive and then you have the requirement for a crane to move the booster. This is a building that flies.

The chopsticks on the tower can pick up and move the booster like it’s a toy.

Edit:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,820
    That 30% figure will be being studied by countries like Russia, China, etc.
This discussion has been closed.