Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Parties – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,045
edited June 16 in General
Parties – politicalbetting.com

• See “The Wikipedia Elections Edit War”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVIl_DJl5NU

Read the full story here

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,225
    First!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,855
    edited June 5
    Third.

Thank-you for the header, which I have retitled:

"Who's Who in the Political Party Zoo?"

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    edited June 5
    Third (grr 4th)
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,051
    Third! (dammit)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088
    Tory majority nailed on!
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Smart topic. Agreement on terms is very hard when there aren't rules of the game, and as you note, the rules of the game don't force politicians to group themselves in the same way they did when they first offered themselves to electorates.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,020
    Ooh, can I join in? Third!
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601

Tory majority nailed on!

CON new GE favourites? 😈
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,855
    edited June 5
    At least two (now three) people are the rabbit out of Lewis Carroll.

https://youtu.be/ZOLpCWlsCjw?t=9

Or even better, The Count from Sesame Street:

https://youtu.be/2AoxCkySv34?t=8
    My apologies for the lack of formatting.
    First random probability sample poll of the campaign from
    @joelwilliams74

@VerianGroup
    . An 18 point Labour lead.

Lab 41
    Con 23
    Lib Dems 12
    Reform 9
    Greens 8
    SNP 3

Seems high for LLG, and low for ConRef.

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    rcs1000 said:

@joelwilliams74

@VerianGroup

Lab 41
    Con 23
    Lib Dems 12
    Reform 9
    Greens 8
    SNP 3

What's a random probability sample poll?
    FPT

Scott_xP said:

Yes, this is exactly what the Tory Brains trust were hoping for after last night...

@PGMcNamara

🚨Punchy from @Keir_Starmer on **that** £2,000 tax line.

About the Prime Minister @RishiSunak
    :

“He resorted to LIES and he knew they were lies”

https://x.com/PGMcNamara/status/1798370211541987724

That's the clip for the evening news tonight...

Just Stormer in pugilistic mood on Sky too. Possible Labour could actually win the news cycle. We'll see.
    They probably ought to try and change the subject. They are very vulnerable on tax, because everyone who has half a brain knows Labour will put them up, if only to pay for all the public sector pay increases.
    Maybe in this election, unlike 1992, what you describe is exactly what voters want.
    SKS is no Blair but equally he is no Kinnock - he's more like John Smith...

Problem is Rishi isn't John Major he's Iain Duncan Smith...
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149

rcs1000 said:

@joelwilliams74

@VerianGroup

Lab 41
    Con 23
    Lib Dems 12
    Reform 9
    Greens 8
    SNP 3

Numberwang
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,257
    Saddened by the apparent lack of a Loony International.

Unless you want to define Trump, Farage, Orban, etc. as such.

Which I don't, much preferring actual global Sutchism.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,572
    Thanks, @viewcode.
    edited June 5

rcs1000 said:

@joelwilliams74

@VerianGroup

Lab 41
    Con 23
    Lib Dems 12
    Reform 9
    Greens 8
    SNP 3

https://www.ipsos.com/en/ipsos-encyclopedia-random-probability-sampling

A random probability sample is the "gold" standard of survey research. The maths behind a random probability sample are that it satisfies two criteria: every unit in the population has a chance of being selected for the sample; and the probability of selection for any unit in the population is either known or could be calculated. Effectively, everyone in the population has a known and non-zero chance of being selected.

Comment -

I actually can't see how you achieve it....
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,991
    edited June 5
    Interesting but also the most confusing thread header I have ever read on PB.

Will need to read it again to make sense of it all
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    FPT:

I don't expect it but if there is a Tory gain in England my pick is Cramlington and Killingworth. This election will disguise it but there is a long-term trend towards Conservatives in the towns of Northern England, boundary changes have made a Tory gain in GE19 (Blyth Valley) into a notional Labour seat but only by less than 2% and that was despite a sizeable Brexit party vote (7.9%). The incumbent MP for much of the new constituency is standing again, the Labour candidate isn't a councillor or seems to have much of a profile. The polls would have to narrow and the Brexit/Reform vote will have to be squeezed but it doesn't seem completely impossible.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    Very interesting thread header @viewcode but isn't there a category missing: The Formally Constituted Party maybe? Or The Single Constitution Member's Party?

Examples: all our main UK parties not otherwise mentioned in the article.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    viewcode said:

I apologise in advance for the inherent boringness of what is effectively me giving a lecture in an article but I do have my reasons. Let me explain... :)

This article was written because of the European Parliament elections, due to start tomorrow. Ladbrokes priced it up using the political groups of the European Parliament, which is stupid because they often change their name after the election. I think they should have used the political parties at the European level instead.

That spark of irritation coincided with the YouTube discussion in the header and the discussion on PB about Mussolini's beginning, in which he used a list, and - bang - the article appeared.

I want political betting to expand beyond its Anglosphere/European limits, but to do that we must familiarise ourselves with things like the party list and the one-party state. Hence this lecture.

Sorry for being an arse, I'm sure there are multiple mistakes and I look forard to you pointing them out... :(

No need to apologise: quite the reverse. Some excellent points and I learned a lot more than I usually do on PB, educational as it is.

(As for being an arse, even if you were, that sometimes seems de rigeur on PB.)

Surely Count Binface should start a global Bin Collective?
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    eek said:

FPT

Scott_xP said:

Yes, this is exactly what the Tory Brains trust were hoping for after last night...

@PGMcNamara

🚨Punchy from @Keir_Starmer on **that** £2,000 tax line.

About the Prime Minister @RishiSunak
    :

“He resorted to LIES and he knew they were lies”

https://x.com/PGMcNamara/status/1798370211541987724

That's the clip for the evening news tonight...

Just Stormer in pugilistic mood on Sky too. Possible Labour could actually win the news cycle. We'll see.
    They probably ought to try and change the subject. They are very vulnerable on tax, because everyone who has half a brain knows Labour will put them up, if only to pay for all the public sector pay increases.
    Maybe in this election, unlike 1992, what you describe is exactly what voters want.
    SKS is no Blair but equally he is no Kinnock - he's more like John Smith...

Problem is Rishi isn't John Major he's Iain Duncan Smith...
    Bit before my politically aware time but I think John Smith would have been an interesting PM. Your comparison with SKS could be a good one.

I’d forgotten that Blair only stepped up because of Smith’s death.

Very interesting thread header @viewcode but isn't there a category missing: The Formally Constituted Party maybe? Or The Single Constitution Member's Party?

Examples: all our main UK parties not otherwise mentioned in the article.

The likes of Slab and LabUK (and LLafur?) might also repay attention as a tulchan coo version of the above.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,440
    An excellent threader. Thanks, Viewcode.
    ToryJim said:

Bin Collection surely.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,338
    edited June 5
    In fact, the legislation was doomed from the beginning because of various loopholes, according to Dr Ed Hayes, the head of public affairs at The Kennel Club. He says the UK will continue to see “a supply of dogs that grow into XL bullies” because they will “continue to be produced by mating two legal dogs together”.

A dog is considered an XL bully if an adult male is at least 20in at the withers (height at shoulder blades) and a female is 19in. But Hayes says breeders often pair two dogs that are half an inch under the limit, and therefore legal, which can produce a puppy that grows to be half an inch taller, making it an XL bully.

Another reason why the ban has been ineffective is that Defra initially believed there were just 10,000 XL bullies in England and Wales, but the Government’s chief veterinary officer has since clarified there are about 55,000 registered under the new regime with a further 15,000 to 20,000 thought to be unregistered and on the streets illegally.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/05/loopholes-in-xl-bully-ban-leave-public-exposed/

Only out by a factor of 7.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    RobD said:

Thanks, @viewcode.

I never even knew Plato invented a clitophon
    ToryJim said:

He would need General Waste on board.
    ToryJim said:

"Dumpsters of the World Unite! Join me in the Dustin of History!"
  • MartinVegasMartinVegas Posts: 51
    On topic,

How would you define the Australian Coalition of Liberals and Nationals?

Two distinct parties that have been in coalition for decades. Looking through your list, I don't see them fitting anywhere.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,280
    Starliner launch eventually happened. Two astronauts on course to rendezvous with the ISS tomorrow.
    viewcode said:

I apologise in advance for the inherent boringness of what is effectively me giving a lecture in an article but I do have my reasons. Let me explain... :)

This article was written because of the European Parliament elections, due to start tomorrow. Ladbrokes priced it up using the political groups of the European Parliament, which is stupid because they often change their name after the election. I think they should have used the political parties at the European level instead.

That spark of irritation coincided with the YouTube discussion in the header and the discussion on PB about Mussolini's beginning, in which he used a list, and - bang - the article appeared.

I want political betting to expand beyond its Anglosphere/European limits, but to do that we must familiarise ourselves with things like the party list and the one-party state. Hence this lecture.

Sorry for being an arse, I'm sure there are multiple mistakes and I look forard to you pointing them out... :(

Forard?

FORARD?

I am absolutely disgusted at this spelling in your post. This entire thread, excellent as it is, should be taken down and consigned to a dustbin because of this below-the-line hideousness. Apologies, sir!

In fact, the legislation was doomed from the beginning because of various loopholes, according to Dr Ed Hayes, the head of public affairs at The Kennel Club. He says the UK will continue to see “a supply of dogs that grow into XL bullies” because they will “continue to be produced by mating two legal dogs together”.

A dog is considered an XL bully if an adult male is at least 20in at the withers (height at shoulder blades) and a female is 19in. But Hayes says breeders often pair two dogs that are half an inch under the limit, and therefore legal, which can produce a puppy that grows to be half an inch taller, making it an XL bully.

Another reason why the ban has been ineffective is that Defra initially believed there were just 10,000 XL bullies in England and Wales, but the Government’s chief veterinary officer has since clarified there are about 55,000 registered under the new regime with a further 15,000 to 20,000 thought to be unregistered and on the streets illegally.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/05/loopholes-in-xl-bully-ban-leave-public-exposed/

Not in the least surprised, me.
    Sandpit said:

Starliner launch eventually happened. Two astronauts on course to rendezvous with the ISS tomorrow.

It's amusing to think back to when there was a race between Boeing and SpaceX, and a lot of people were thinking Boeing would win...
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,322
    Talking of parties Alba has today announced it is going to stand in 20 constituencies. Never rains but it pours for the SNP these days.

So far Alba have not really troubled the scorers unduly but as disillusionment grows with the SNP it has the potential to bleed votes in that direction.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,280
    ToryJim said:

I really hope he’s found representatives to stand in hundreds of seats.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,204

It is ridiculous. Exterminate them

viewcode said:

Forard?

FORARD?

I am absolutely disgusted at this spelling in your post. This entire thread, excellent as it is, should be taken down and consigned to a dustbin because of this below-the-line hideousness. Apologies, sir!
    Tut. Viewcode is being metaphorical, using hunting or nautical terminology. Perfectly acceptable.
    Sandpit said:

Here is Boeing's in-house coverage of the launch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmoS_IVgWIo
    One-man crime wave:

"Man admits snatching 24 phones in an hour"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd116nk2p30o

ISTR a story from a while ago in Cambridge, where the arrest of one burglar reduced the burglaries in the area of the city he lived in by a third.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    edited June 5
    Sunak v Starmer on Sky in Grimsby next Wednesday.
    Sandpit said:

ToryJim said:

Count Binface should combine with what remains (no much) of the ORMLP.

ANew Official Raving Monster Loony - Dumpster United Party (NORML-DUMP).
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    edited June 5
    Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited June 5
    viewcode said:

You couldn't be boring if you tried, Viewpoint, and I'm sure I'm typical of many here who are grateful for the thoughtful contributions from you and our various thread header writers.

You must however excuse me for boringly drawing attention to an extraordinary day at the PO Inquiry. Alice Perkins always promised to be an intriguing witness but I would never have guessed it would be her evidence that pulled so many strands together.

She's on again tomorrow, so if you can drag yourself away from the GE I strongly recommend that you catch up on today at the Inquiry and tune in tomorrow for more revelations (mostly unwitting ones) from Mrs Jack Straw.
    MikeL said:

Sunak v Starmer on Sky in Grimsby next Wednesday.

It’s not a head to head. The sky one is more head, than head to head, giving us one head at a time with interviewer in front an audience.

Hope that helps.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,441
    The Australian Coalition (Liberals [Tories in UK] and Nationals) is another style close to your Caucus definition but not quite meeting it.
    🚨 BREAKING: Reform UK is now just two points behind the Tories in the latest YouGov poll

🔴 LAB: 40%
    🔵 CON: 19%
    🟣 REF: 17%
    🟠 LDEM: 10%
    🟢 GRN: 7%

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    edited June 5

Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7

Previous methodology has Tories and Reform tied on 18%!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,991
    edited June 5

Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7

Taken BEFORE yesterday's debate Yougov had Sunak winning but half of it includes when Farage announced he was returning as Reform leader.

So in some respects the Tories will be relieved that even after that they were still ahead of Reform

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1798386225285312891
    edited June 5
    ToryJim said:

🚨 BREAKING: Reform UK is now just two points behind the Tories in the latest YouGov poll

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

The methodology tweak/herd instinct, very hard on Labour there. That 40% is a complete outlier compared to rest of the herd.

I feel so sorry for yougov, getting fresh samples every time can result in rogue polls, but over a sequence should show less movement and prove accurate polling. They are not convincing me with these election polls. Remember whilst Savanta call London Mayor okay, yougovs call was more than 10% wrong, they seem to be playing with their products recipe ever since?
    ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Remember these figures include a methodology change and Nigel returning to reform but if we compare to the MRP figures from Monday

Lab 46%
    Con 21%
    Ref 15%
    Lib Dems 8%
    Grn 6%

So Labour massively down, LDems up and Tories have traded 2% with Reform.

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

The methodology/herd instinct, very hard on Labour there. That 40% is a complete outlier compared to rest of the herd.
    ? Not sure I fully understand that.

But run through electoral calculus and without tactical voting that would give Labour a 330 seat majority

If Reform keep this up there are going to be some fairly outlandish outcomes under our FPTP
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,858
    17% for ReFuk is just bonkers.

But if the next poll shows ***CROSSOVER*** it will be funny as hell.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,711
    Reform on 9% or 17%. Take your pick.*

Pretty horrible polling by somebody.

*I haven't even found evidence for the 9% on the doorsteps. Not close.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,600
    Crossover is only a matter of time
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    HYUFD said:

Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7

Taken BEFORE yesterday's debate Yougov had Sunak winning but half of it includes when Farage announced he was returning as Reform leader.

So in some respects the Tories will be relieved that even after that they were still ahead of Reform

It simply shows Sunak doesn't want to be PM
    ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Not a snowballs chance in hell that the racists are going to get 17%

Redistributing that more sensibly goes something like:

🔴 LAB: 45%
    🔵 CON: 24%
    🟠 LDEM: 12%
    🟣 REF: 5%

And the Greens won't get 7% either so redistributing them:

🔴 LAB: 46%
    🔵 CON: 25%
    🟢 GRN: 5%

Looks rather more plausible.
    eek said:

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Remember these figures include a methodology change and Nigel returning to reform but if we compare to the MRP figures from Monday

Lab 46%
    Con 21%
    Ref 15%
    Lib Dems 8%
    Grn 6%

Baxtered gives you 56 Con seats, in third place behind LDs on 63.

Hmmm...plausible rather than likely.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,726
    MattW said:

Third.

Thank-you for the header, which I have retitled:

"Who's Who in the Political Party Zoo?"

Alternatively,

(Parties, huh) Yeah!
    (What are they good for?) Absolutely nothing, uhuh.

I do find it very strange where these Reform voters are appearing from and whether they will actually go out and vote.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,600
    We could be on for a freak election result with Reform winning a load of Red Wall seats and the Tories finishing behind the Lib Dems.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,035
    Sandpit said:

ToryJim said:

Monster Raving Loonies? I once went into a pub in Mid Wales which was the HQ of the local branch. Some very odd adverts round the bar.

On topic, interesting read. I’ll have to come back to it. Can I suggest a group which I don’t think you mentioned; the Nationalists. Objective: Independence, but once elected are you Left or Right? Once independence, the primary objective, is attained, the party almost certainly splits, or descends into infighting. See the ANC.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264

One-man crime wave:

"Man admits snatching 24 phones in an hour"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd116nk2p30o

ISTR a story from a while ago in Cambridge, where the arrest of one burglar reduced the burglaries in the area of the city he lived in by a third.

Same with the bike gang COLP caught where bike theft declined by 90% in the months after. Pareto principle applies to criminals as well. Doesn't take much in the way of resources to massively improve peoples' lives by locking up the worst criminals (or in an ideal world dumping them on south georgia with a dodgy fishing line).

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Your tinkering is even worse than yougovs. You are lobbing off green bits, and giving none of the green to the libdems?

Shy Reformers?

HYUFD said:

Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7

Nonsense! He's gonna wipe the floor with Labour!
    edited June 5

We could be on for a freak election result with Reform winning a load of Red Wall seats and the Tories finishing behind the Lib Dems.

Reform likely won't win any seats. 1 or 2 at the most, in the South not the Red Wall most probable.

Tories finishing behind the Lib Dems is of course extremely unlikely but far more likely than Reform winning loads of seats.

Shy Reformers?
    I think it's more a "plague on all your houses / but in reality won't vote"
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

eek said:

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Lab 46%
    Con 21%
    Ref 15%
    Lib Dems 8%
    Grn 6%

Well, we simply haven't a clue. At this stage, it looks like the difference between 1997 and near-total collapse for the Tories is whether or not the large slice of their vote that appears to have defected to Reform in a hissy fit comes back or not. Past performance suggests the Reform vote will melt away like the snow in Spring, but...
    DM_Andy said:

Lucky for Sunak that YouGov did change their methodology. Here's the results (compared to 29-30 May)

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49626-general-election-2024-how-have-our-methodology-changes-affected-voting-intention
    Labour 45% (-1)
    Conservative 18% (-3)
    Reform UK 18% (+3)
    Lib Dem 8% (+0)
    Green 6% (+0)

Thanks Andy.

Intuitively and based on nothing more than a feeling in my bones I'd say the results from the new methodology are the more credible.

I would certainly expect lower Labour and higher LD scores than under the old method.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but because of our electoral system, unless Labour were to drop to mid-30’s (highly unlikely) the real hit of ongoing polls like this would be to the Conservatives.

19% is 7% below the lowest poll in the month before the 1997 General Election.

Anyway, I’ll be interested to see what happens with pollsters who haven’t changed their methodology and in the days after the Farage announcement and first tv debate.

HYUFD said:

Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7

Nonsense! He's gonna wipe the floor with Labour!
    You think Starmer's THAT bad ?
    edited June 5
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Forard?

FORARD?

Tut. Viewcode is being metaphorical, using hunting or nautical terminology. Perfectly acceptable.
    Wouldn’t that be forrard ?

Yeah something is going on. I just can’t see Reform doing that well. I suspect that some level of systemic poll error is occurring but who knows. I could get them to 7-9% but 17 is a stretch and outpolling the Tories I can’t see at all. Unfortunately from here on in it’s going to be impossible for the issues to get a look in as all the journalists orgasm over a potentially dodgy narrative.

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Your tinkering is even worse than yougovs. You are lobbing off green bits, and giving none of the green to the libdems?
    Oops, typo, I added 2 to the LDs from Reform and intended to add one to the LDs from the Greens.

🟠 LDEM: 13%
    edited June 5
    pigeon said:

eek said:

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Lab 46%
    Con 21%
    Ref 15%
    Lib Dems 8%
    Grn 6%

Well, we simply haven't a clue. At this stage, it looks like the difference between 1997 and near-total collapse for the Tories is whether or not the large slice of their vote that appears to have defected to Reform in a hissy fit comes back or not. Past performance suggests the Reform vote will melt away like the snow in Spring, but...
    Melting away doesn't help them as @BartholomewRoberts points out. if 60% of Reform voters are really none voters all that does is give everyone else 10% more votes so the Labour sit on 44% and the Tories sit on 22% or so...

The question is really are those Reform voters likely to vote Conservative - and I just don't see it..
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,051
    @BartholomewRoberts, @MartinVegas

Regarding the Australian Coalition of Liberals and Nationals, aka the "Coalition". Yes I think you are right and I am wrong. I attempted to draw a distinction between the more informal US/UK alliances and pacts and the more formal European groups and fraktions, but it didn't really work which is why the CDU/CSU appears twice.

Each article has an expanded version, usually written some months afterwards, where I present a longer version backstage with the errors corrected. I'll include that there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_(Australia)

How many constituencies have you been doorstepping, though ?
    Heathener said:

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

The methodology/herd instinct, very hard on Labour there. That 40% is a complete outlier compared to rest of the herd.
    ? Not sure I fully understand that.

But run through electoral calculus and without tactical voting that would give Labour a 330 seat majority

If Reform keep this up there are going to be some fairly outlandish outcomes under our FPTP
    “ ? Not sure I fully understand that.”

It’s perfectly straightforward, polling firms are murmuring so they personally stand less chance of being eaten by the free election owls (though I prefer goats for votes). yougov idea of murmuring is report lower Lab share than anyone and a Ref share so high no one on earth believes. Not even visitors to the planet.

The answer is it doesn’t make sense.

Shy Reformers?
    They aren’t much given to shyness.
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Forard?

FORARD?

Wouldn’t that be forrard ?
    Variant spelling, for maritime and hunting.
    ToryJim said:

Yeah something is going on. I just can’t see Reform doing that well. I suspect that some level of systemic poll error is occurring but who knows. I could get them to 7-9% but 17 is a stretch and outpolling the Tories I can’t see at all. Unfortunately from here on in it’s going to be impossible for the issues to get a look in as all the journalists orgasm over a potentially dodgy narrative.
    Funny thing is that the narrative of Conservatives being eaten by RFM is more likely than not to lead to further bleed to Reform, which could make their numbers more real? If you're one of the 40% odd of the Tory membership who like Farage and don't like Sunak there's now no reason to not jump.

DM_Andy said:

Lucky for Sunak that YouGov did change their methodology. Here's the results (compared to 29-30 May)

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49626-general-election-2024-how-have-our-methodology-changes-affected-voting-intention
    Labour 45% (-1)
    Conservative 18% (-3)
    Reform UK 18% (+3)
    Lib Dem 8% (+0)
    Green 6% (+0)

Thanks Andy.

Intuitively and based on nothing more than a feeling in my bones I'd say the results from the new methodology are the more credible.

I would certainly expect lower Labour and higher LD scores than under the old method.
    Labour lowest share in the herd?

Weird.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,527

DM_Andy said:

Labour 45% (-1)
    Conservative 18% (-3)
    Reform UK 18% (+3)
    Lib Dem 8% (+0)
    Green 6% (+0)

Thanks Andy.

And the £2000 per household question is...

Where are those extra Lib Dem voters?

Scattered uniformly, quite good news for the Conservatives and bad for Labour.

In the right places, very very bad indeed.

See 1997.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,347

Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7

Bloody hell. That was quick!
    Gething gone
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Lab 46%
    Con 21%
    Ref 15%
    Lib Dems 8%
    Grn 6%

Melting away doesn't help them as @BartholomewRoberts points out. if 60% of Reform voters are really none voters all that does is give everyone else 10% more votes so the Labour sit on 44% and the Tories sit on 22% or so...

The question is really are those Reform voters likely to vote Conservative - and I just don't see it..
    I will clarify: I was indeed implying that the Conservative situation would likely only get much better if the voters threatening to turn out for Reform vote for them in large numbers instead. Clearly if they don't back either party then this doesn't help Sunak at all.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,519

Lol, yougov
    Lab 40
    Con 19
    Ref 17
    LD 10
    Green 7

WTF?
    Gething loses VONC by 1 vote.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,078

ToryJim said:

2,144 adults online
    3 June -4 June

Leaving aside your 50/50 reallocation of RefUK votes, a lot depends where the minor parties actually stand candidates. They talk a good game but by all accounts, even the Conservative Party was caught on the hop by Rishi's early election and is struggling to get candidates in place by Friday's deadline.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,271
    edited June 5
    DM_Andy said:

FPT:

I don't expect it but if there is a Tory gain in England my pick is Cramlington and Killingworth. This election will disguise it but there is a long-term trend towards Conservatives in the towns of Northern England, boundary changes have made a Tory gain in GE19 (Blyth Valley) into a notional Labour seat but only by less than 2% and that was despite a sizeable Brexit party vote (7.9%). The incumbent MP for much of the new constituency is standing again, the Labour candidate isn't a councillor or seems to have much of a profile. The polls would have to narrow and the Brexit/Reform vote will have to be squeezed but it doesn't seem completely impossible.

It isn't.
    But the seat isn't the successor to Blyth Valley at all. It's about half of it (Cramlington), although the more Tory half.
    The rest of it (more than half) isn't even town. It's from strongly Labour N Tyneside, and Newcastle.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,347

Not horrible polling, the actual situation could be 12.5%.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,078
    18 June is the deadline to register to vote, btw.
    https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
    Positively Truss-like from Gething.
This discussion has been closed.