Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A grim election night so far for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,736
    TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Cumbria PCC result in among the earlier ones, and tells us, I think, quite a bit about the fate of the current Cumbria MPs (5 Tory, 0 Labour + Tim Farron.)

Labour win with 22% swing.

No other elections in Cumbria.

The PCCs are interesting I think because in the vast majority of cases the voters don’t know the candidate from Adam, don’t really know what they will do and don’t expect them to make much difference to policing either way, therefore they are more likely to vote on purely national party lines. Best indicator for the GE.
    Agree, with the caveat that turnout is low. Only fairly hardened citizens stop mowing the lawn to turn up. OTOH I know people - the moderate one nation, always Tory, backbone of community types - who voted Labour this time not through gritted teeth but thinking they are the better and more decent, in every way, option.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,076
    The worst case scenario for the Tories is catastrophic local election results in the provinces but an oddly close result in London.

Odds on Susan Hall as Tory leader 2025?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,027
    Presumably the overnight results are all out and it's just starting today's counts so no more chicken entrails to study until lunchtime.

See you later.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    As I posted last night from Oxford, where Labour is in power the atmosphere is quite different, and less helpful. In Toton and Wantage (no local election this year) we're finding large numbers of people switching to Labour to get the Tories out. In Oxford absolutely nobody was talking about Sunak - it was all about punishing Labour and the LibDems for the LTN. That's likely to be a problem in London too, though I'm not expecting Hall to win.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,087
    FF43 said:

How to lose friends overseas and votes at home:

US President Joe Biden has called Japan and India "xenophobic", grouping them together with Russia and China as countries that "don't want immigrants".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68947042

The language is undiplomatic and should be avoided but Biden's point is sound.
    His point being that immigration is awesome, as Democrat mayors in cities across the US are complaining about hundreds of thousands of illegals crossing from Mexico and ending up in hotels?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,035
    edited May 3
    duplicate
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,718
    nico679 said:

Ghedebrav said:

I think it is fantasy to expect Khan to lose

No-one expects Khan to lose, but I do expect him to massively underperform the national swing as I think he's a big drag on the Labour ticket.
    I expect him to mildly underperform, but Hall is a worse candidate than Shaun Bailey.
    The firm picture the media present, and popular imagination holds, of London as a Labour fiefdom, has been demonstrated time and again to be wrong. Yet it persists. Shaun Bailey - hardly a towering statesman - turned out a pretty decent vote last time round.

I don’t dislike Khan as much as everyone else seems to (tbh don’t really understand why he is so disliked, at least by non-nutters/racists) but they could have done with a new and more dynamic/inspirational candidate. If Susan Hall does do well it will reflect terribly on him; she is unquestionably the worst candidate any major party has put up for the mayoralty.
    There are quite a few people I know who dislike him a lot - most would be described as wanting to vote for centre parties.

That Susan Hall is a candidate for a major party speaks to the lack of depth in candidates in politics in general. I think of my relative (who I've mentioned before) - in times past he would have been hauled onto the council by his peers. And probably shoved into Parliament.
    Nick Ferrari conducts a daily campaign against Khan, especially Ulez. Presumably the Standard despise him too.
    The Evening Standard endorsed Khan in their editorial.
    The Standard View: Why Sadiq Khan is our pick for Mayor of London
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/sadiq-khan-susan-hall-london-mayoral-election-labour-city-hall-b1154976.html
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@PigsAndPolling

#BlackpoolSouth is a shocker for the Conservatives - their 17.5% vote share is the worst in over a century for a seat they were defending

To be fair, even Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband and Corbyn in 2017 won Blackpool South, it only went Conservative in 2019 for Boris and to get Brexit done and has reverted to type. It has been solid Labour overall since 1997
    Lol. The percentage majority last night is almost twice what it was even in 1997.

You never really recovered from losing that PR job in Iraq, did you?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,104
    edited May 3
    kamski said:

Useful map for playing around with electoral college results:
    https://www.270towin.com/

Here's your maximum entertainment value scenario. Trump wins GA, NV, AZ and Abu Hunter wins PA, MI, WI. All very plausible as the 2020 margin was less than 11,000 votes in all those states. Then ME goes 3-1 on Congressional districts to Biden.

Result: 269- 269 tie in the Electrical College, contingent election decided by Congress. Are you not entertained? Other variations on this drama can happen with NE splitting along Congressional districts.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219

David Cameron's reported as saying that British-supplied weapons can be used by Ukraine on targets in Russia. Previously there'd been a restriction on NATO weapons being used in internationally-recognised Russian territory.

Might we see Storm Shadows used against targets in Rostov soon?

No, he's not; Reuters withdrew that story.

He said - quite correctly - that Ukraine is fully justified, as a matter of self defence, and in response to Russian attacks, to strike targets in Russia.
    He very specifically did not say anything about the terms on which UK weapons are supplied.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,107
    Desperate stuff from Holden . Saying these results are expected from parties in the mid-term of government.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Just seen that Johnson forgot his voter ID yesterday and had to go back later :lol:

Yeh. Couldn't be better as a metaphor for the final days of this rotten regime and all its clowns.
    Surely a performative act in his "Boris" persona to get some news coverage.
    That crossed my mind too.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947
    Good morning everyone.

Rishi Sunk.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If Labour lose London everything else won't count for a row of beans. It'll be the only thing anyone remembers about this set of elections.

If Khan reveals himself to be alien from Neptune at the count, everything else won't count for a row of beans. It'll be the only thing anyone remembers about this set of elections. It is approximately as likely.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Just seen that Johnson forgot his voter ID yesterday and had to go back later :lol:

Yeh. Couldn't be better as a metaphor for the final days of this rotten regime and all its clowns.
    He’s no longer in ‘any publicity is good publicity’ territory, and hardly needs to get noticed. Maybe you’re right that it’s an addiction he can’t cure, but nevertheless this incident simply adds a line to his already written obituary.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,104

David Cameron's reported as saying that British-supplied weapons can be used by Ukraine on targets in Russia. Previously there'd been a restriction on NATO weapons being used in internationally-recognised Russian territory.

Cameron has about as much influence over Ukrainian targetting policy as do you or I.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@SophyRidgeSky

@SamCoatesSky
    Would the Conservatives be in a better position if they ditch Rishi Sunak?

@LeeAndersonMP_
    “I think Rishi Sunak could fly over the UK and drop £1m down every chimney and they’d still vote him out come October”

FFS, I don't have a chimney.
    It has certainly gone up from 30p that's for sure.
  • Options

As I posted last night from Oxford, where Labour is in power the atmosphere is quite different, and less helpful. In Toton and Wantage (no local election this year) we're finding large numbers of people switching to Labour to get the Tories out. In Oxford absolutely nobody was talking about Sunak - it was all about punishing Labour and the LibDems for the LTN. That's likely to be a problem in London too, though I'm not expecting Hall to win.

Toton?

Is there any impact from HS2 overhang, there?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,643
    isam said:

It’s still true that Labour aren’t attracting new voters in By Elections, down a couple of thousand from GE19 to yesterday in Blackpool South, as was the case in the last two By Elections. At this stage in 92-97 Parliament they were adding thousands of votes What does this mean for the GE? Low turnout?

I think so. Generally turnout in general elections seems to be down when the result is not in doubt, and when the Tories do badly.

On Betfair, turnout between 62.5-64.99% is currently favourite, at 3.45. This would be down on the 67.3% turnout at the last election, but not massively so.

The turnout in 2001 is the record to beat, at 59.1%.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    isam said:

Mr. Observer, the Conservative failure was intially electing Boris Johnson. All else has flowed from that.

The Tories were doing horrendously in 2019
    They elected Boris and won a huge majority
    They sacked him
    And now they’re doing as badly as before

At some point people will join the dots
    No. He resigned. He was not sacked. He resigned. He could have stayed. He chose not to.

In any event so what? Just because you are popular once doesn't mean you'll be popular forever. Blair had the longest political honeymoon of anyone I'm aware of but now he's the most despised politician in Britain (or maybe Truss has taken that mantle) showing that, in the overused phrase, past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

For Blair's Iraq see Johnson's PartyGate and (controversial I know) Brexit. Indeed Iraq was majority supported pre-invasion, as was Johnson's vaccine rollout & Brexit. Then it all went wrong.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    nico679 said:

Desperate stuff from Holden . Saying these results are expected from parties in the mid-term of government on their way out

Fixed it.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,886

Ghedebrav said:

No-one expects Khan to lose, but I do expect him to massively underperform the national swing as I think he's a big drag on the Labour ticket.
    I expect him to mildly underperform, but Hall is a worse candidate than Shaun Bailey.
    The firm picture the media present, and popular imagination holds, of London as a Labour fiefdom, has been demonstrated time and again to be wrong. Yet it persists. Shaun Bailey - hardly a towering statesman - turned out a pretty decent vote last time round.

I don’t dislike Khan as much as everyone else seems to (tbh don’t really understand why he is so disliked, at least by non-nutters/racists) but they could have done with a new and more dynamic/inspirational candidate. If Susan Hall does do well it will reflect terribly on him; she is unquestionably the worst candidate any major party has put up for the mayoralty.
    There are quite a few people I know who dislike him a lot - most would be described as wanting to vote for centre parties.

That Susan Hall is a candidate for a major party speaks to the lack of depth in candidates in politics in general. I think of my relative (who I've mentioned before) - in times past he would have been hauled onto the council by his peers. And probably shoved into Parliament.
    Nick Ferrari conducts a daily campaign against Khan, especially Ulez. Presumably the Standard despise him too.
    The Standard endorsed Khan - https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/sadiq-khan-susan-hall-london-mayoral-election-labour-city-hall-b1154976.html
  • Options
    isam said:

Mr. Observer, the Conservative failure was intially electing Boris Johnson. All else has flowed from that.

They sacked him

If you win with a pack of lies, don’t do the things you promised, and don’t behave as you tell others, there are consequences. As are now playing out.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,006

That failure stemmed from the Brexit vote, so I'd say the Conservative failure was calling the Brexit referendum... but really what caused Leave to win that was austerity. That's the Conservative failure.
    Yes. Austerity made people a bit cross, which led to the Brexit vote, which then made people cross about chaos in the commons and in-fighting, which led to Boris coming in and promising to get Brexit done, which led to a charlatan and mountebank in Number 10, which made people cross, which led to him being turfed out and an IEA ideologue briefly holding the reins of power, which made people extremely cross, which then led to Sunak giving it a try, which just made a whole bunch of already cross people a bit tired of it all. Hence results like Blackpool South.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,346
    Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Yes, clearly staged. We haven't seen the last of Boris yet, but how he engineers his comeback will be interesting. I reckon he'll try for a by-election win sometime in the middle of the next parliament amid much noise and whizz bangs. It'll totally undermine whatever leader the Tories have put in place by then, but so what?
  • Options
    Going back to https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/05/02/mrp-benchmarks-and-assorted-thoughts/ , the MRP seems to have underestimated the Tory collapse in NE Lincs (the Tories lost control) but spot on in Lincoln and Peterborough. Not sure if the others have declared yet?
  • Options

US President Joe Biden has called Japan and India "xenophobic", grouping them together with Russia and China as countries that "don't want immigrants".

It may be untactful to speak the truth, but it certainly is the case that Japan is rather xenophobic and they don't want immigrants.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Here's your maximum entertainment value scenario. Trump wins GA, NV, AZ and Abu Hunter wins PA, MI, WI. All very plausible as the 2020 margin was less than 11,000 votes in all those states. Then ME goes 3-1 on Congressional districts to Biden.

Result: 269- 269 tie in the Electrical College, contingent election decided by Congress. Are you not entertained? Other variations on this drama can happen with NE splitting along Congressional districts.
    Likely to be President Trump in that scenario as he'll have more house delegations.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Toton?

Duh, sorry. Didcot and Watnage.
  • Options
    Just noticed the Tories have two defending PCC candidates called Giles Orpen-Smellie, and Stephen Mold, which seems appropriate.
  • Options
    TimS said:

That failure stemmed from the Brexit vote, so I'd say the Conservative failure was calling the Brexit referendum... but really what caused Leave to win that was austerity. That's the Conservative failure.
    Yes. Austerity made people a bit cross, which led to the Brexit vote, which then made people cross about chaos in the commons and in-fighting, which led to Boris coming in and promising to get Brexit done, which led to a charlatan and mountebank in Number 10, which made people cross, which led to him being turfed out and an IEA ideologue briefly holding the reins of power, which made people extremely cross, which then led to Sunak giving it a try, which just made a whole bunch of already cross people a bit tired of it all. Hence results like Blackpool South.
    It’s just not British.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 3

isam said:

It’s still true that Labour aren’t attracting new voters in By Elections, down a couple of thousand from GE19 to yesterday in Blackpool South, as was the case in the last two By Elections. At this stage in 92-97 Parliament they were adding thousands of votes What does this mean for the GE? Low turnout?

I think so. Generally turnout in general elections seems to be down when the result is not in doubt, and when the Tories do badly.

On Betfair, turnout between 62.5-64.99% is currently favourite, at 3.45. This would be down on the 67.3% turnout at the last election, but not massively so.

It means there as many people in Blackpool South who will vote in the GE, but didn’t yesterday, as there are that did vote yesterday. It’s interesting to me why those people are going to vote Lab in the GE but didn’t bother in the By Election. There are still a mass of voters ready to be charmed, if only there were someone to charm them.
  • Options

a

Sandpit said:

Ghedebrav said:

The London Tories tried to stitch-up the candidate selection for an ex-Cameron SpAd, and their preferred candidate got into a scandal almost immediately nominations closed. Yet another failure of vetting, for such a high-profile role.
    Yes, and he isn't exactly The Future, before the scandal.

I asked someone about why the parties don't use standard commercial vetting - background check, CV check and trawl through social media - and was told that it would eliminate too many. The person I asked rolled his eyes as he said that. Said that politics depended on loons and weirdos.
    At some point they’ll get it. This particular example should have been a massive wake-up call to all parties.

They should have a couple of people at head office employed to go through social media etc history for MP candidates. For mayoral candidates of major cities they should really be going with the commercial services run by former spooks, who know how to find buried bodies.

The wider point is not to try and stitch-up a selection process in the first place - but if that’s what you want to do, at least have the guy properly vetted beforehand.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,302
    Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

The President would be elected by the House and the VP by the Senate in that scenario
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,296
    isam said:

They sacked him

They elected Boris to Get Brexit Done won a huge majority
    Brexit is a shitshow

The dots were joined...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,431

Taz said:

TimS said:

Frustrating morning as there’s a paucity of coverage of Lib Dem performance.

So far OK looking at the actual results, but not the massive outperformance we sometimes see. And not the same underperformance of Labour we’ve got used to.

Still, it looks like a thrashing but not a shellacking for the Tories. And the difference in their performance where Reform aren’t standing should encourage them they’ll get most of any swingback from Reform voters come the general.

Daisy Cooper interviewed on GMB

Lib Dem results being discussed on the politics slot as underwhelming. Of course Daisy Cooper talked them up.
    So far according to BBC. Conservatives 117 councillors, LDs 114 councillors.

What would be a good result?
    It is all relative to last time and the seats being contested. But they have hardly excelled so far.
  • Options
    a
    MattW said:

Toton?

Oxford isn't about LTN in the sense of 20mph-in-residential-streets-with-one-lane-between-parked-cars, but a general policy. Which is to get rid of vehicles in the centre - and is being implemented rather badly. The impact on businesses is noticeable.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

It means there as many people in Blackpool South who will vote in the GE, but didn’t yesterday, as there are that did vote yesterday. It’s interesting to me why those people are going to vote Lab in the GE but didn’t bother in the By Election. There are still a mass of voters ready to be charmed, if only there were someone to charm them.
    We don't have anyone of that ilk anymore. Johnson's lustre has gone.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Mr. HYUFD, disagree entirely. The 2019 result was not pro-Johnson but anti-Corbyn. Hunt would've secured a majority, and governed better than Johnson did.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Cumbria PCC result in among the earlier ones, and tells us, I think, quite a bit about the fate of the current Cumbria MPs (5 Tory, 0 Labour + Tim Farron.)

The PCCs are interesting I think because in the vast majority of cases the voters don’t know the candidate from Adam, don’t really know what they will do and don’t expect them to make much difference to policing either way, therefore they are more likely to vote on purely national party lines. Best indicator for the GE.
    Surrey might be interesting as a measure of how the LDs are doing here. I don't expect them to win the PCC but with several targets in Surrey it will be interesting to see if they progress or Labour does. Of course many of the areas they aren't targeting and turnout will be poor in areas where there were no other elections. If, in the unlikely event, they win it will be their first. I am biased knowing the candidates and realistically I don't expect it
  • Options
    edited May 3
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@PigsAndPolling

#BlackpoolSouth is a shocker for the Conservatives - their 17.5% vote share is the worst in over a century for a seat they were defending

To be fair, even Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband and Corbyn in 2017 won Blackpool South, it only went Conservative in 2019 for Boris and to get Brexit done and has reverted to type. It has been solid Labour overall since 1997
    Lol. The percentage majority last night is almost twice what it was even in 1997.

You never really recovered from losing that PR job in Iraq, did you?
    The Labour voteshare in Blackpool South last night was little different to 1997 (and of course by elections generally produce bigger swings) just the split on the right between Tories and Reform boosted their voteshare.

Of course Labour hasn't so far won all the councils it got pre 1997 either, Harlow stayed blue last night for instance yet went Labour at parliamentary level in 1997 too. Although it did gain Rushmoor it didn't win then
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,167
    Cicero said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@nickeardleybbc
    Tory Mp Andrea Jenkyns: “It’s looking unlikely MPs will put letters in”

She’s previously called for PM to go, but says: “We are where we are”

Surely a lot of Tory MPs will be looking at these results and be thinking why not roll the dice one last time?

What have they got to lose?
    I think any sane Tory MP will be more focused on their post Parliamentary career - little point changing things when the difference is at best marginal and won’t help you personally
    Richi is a drag on the ticket. Every Tory MP would stand a better chance of winning if he was not their leader.
    The same could be said of many of the potential replacements!
    A leader could have all the positives of Pitt, Disraeli, Churchill and Thatcher yet it wouldn't help the Conservatives because its the lockdown parties and Dizzy Lizzy's economic experiment which are being voted against

With the endless sleaze and time for a change being the icings on the cake.
    I see what you did there... not mentioning the elephant in the living room: the reason why the UK has gone from being a leading G-7 economy to being the weakest G-7 economy and an also ran in global rankings.

We won´t name it, of course, but the poison will need to be lanced sometime, and the Tories own it.
    A country with full employment and pay rises.

As opposed to the mass unemployment and pension cuts you predicted.

Its comical that someone who doesn't even live in this country and who has been so repeatedly wrong continues to be so obsessed by something which everyone else is moving on from.

You might also compare the PMIs of the UK and the EuroZone as to current economic conditions.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,431
    edited May 3
    This idea that Keir Starmer and Labour are going to do badly is, I suspect, incorrect.

It probably doesn’t matter how ‘nice’ the economy looks this autumn, people won’t remember that. Just like 1997 when the economy was also in rude health, they will remember what happened before. In this case a whole series of clusterfucks, some of which weren’t of the tories’ making but for which they will get tarnished. A global pandemic, Ukraine, Israel-Palestine, Partygate, the death of HMQ, ‘challenges’ with Brexit, and that hideous period when Liz Truss introduced the most bizarre budget in living memory - thus screwing everyone’s mortgages - not to mention a raft of sleaze, corruption, and change of leaders ...

People will look back with horror and it’s going to take quite some time to repair their damaged reputation.

Against that I don’t see how Labour can readily fail. They will make some mistakes but Keir seems like a pretty sensible fellow.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,431
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

The Tory nightmare is real, and getting worse.

2025 local Tory candidates hoping any bloodlust against the party will be sated by the GE.

Well in 1998 the Conservatives managed a couple of hundred gains. Might be difficult next year to do that given what’s up and when it was last contested.
    By next May a Starmer government could be battling strikes, inflation and slow growth and have responsiibility for immigration, it could be a different picture entirely and the Tories would get the protest vote for the first time in over a decade.

Though I suspect it will take a year or 2 for Starmer's government to really become unpopular
    Andrew Neill reckons 6 months
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

a

Sandpit said:

Ghedebrav said:

The London Tories tried to stitch-up the candidate selection for an ex-Cameron SpAd, and their preferred candidate got into a scandal almost immediately nominations closed. Yet another failure of vetting, for such a high-profile role.

I asked someone about why the parties don't use standard commercial vetting - background check, CV check and trawl through social media - and was told that it would eliminate too many. The person I asked rolled his eyes as he said that. Said that politics depended on loons and weirdos.
    At some point they’ll get it. This particular example should have been a massive wake-up call to all parties.

They should have a couple of people at head office employed to go through social media etc history for MP candidates. For mayoral candidates of major cities they should really be going with the commercial services run by former spooks, who know how to find buried bodies.

The wider point is not to try and stitch-up a selection process in the first place - but if that’s what you want to do, at least have the guy properly vetted beforehand.
    Yup - they are not even doing the basic job vetting stuff, at any level, that I can see.

Labour's probable landslide will get them a whole raft of people who will turn out to be... interesting.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

If you win with a pack of lies, don’t do the things you promised, and don’t behave as you tell others, there are consequences. As are now playing out.
    We we can disagree on that, but the initial point made was ‘it all went wrong when Boris was made leader’ which ignores the fact that the Tories are in the same position now as they were before him; a mess. They had just hit 9% in the Euro Elections, and it only got better when he was made leader, the worse when someone replaced him. It seems a ridiculous thing to think, given the facts, that the high point, the success, was the bad move when the before and after were existential crises
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,643
    Nigelb said:

No, he's not; Reuters withdrew that story.

He said - quite correctly - that Ukraine is fully justified, as a matter of self defence, and in response to Russian attacks, to strike targets in Russia.
    He very specifically did not say anything about the terms on which UK weapons are supplied.
    Ah, I see. I think he's promising money to Ukraine that they can spend on buying/producing their own weapons, and here's saying Ukraine can use those weapons in Russia.

Thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

The worst case scenario for the Tories is catastrophic local election results in the provinces but an oddly close result in London.

0 given she isn't even a parliamentary candidate or MP
  • Options
    Incidentally, on a personal note, I walked 21,300 steps yesterday, roughly double my previous lazy best (there are many days when I don't get into 4 figures). Nothing like elections for getting you into shape...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

**NEW**

David Campbell Bannerman, the ex-Tory MEP and chairman of the Conservative Democratic Organisation, calls on Rishi Sunak to resign.

He tells
    @Telegraph
    : “Once again local elections under Sunak have been absolutely disastrous. A year ago we should have won seats…”

“…under him; we lost 1,000 councillors. This time is the worst performance in 40 years, so far.

“Sunak is not a natural campaigner and wasn’t even seen campaigning. The lesson is clear: enough of this disastrous, visionless, vacuous leadership. Rishi must go and go now….”

“…This is a reality check for Conservative MPs: enough avoidance of the problem. If you don’t dump Sunak now the party is finished for at least a decade or more and the country is in danger under a hard Left woke Labour. Do the necessary and do it quickly!”

That would be the same DCB who was a UKIP MEP for many years?
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,544
    isam said:

They sacked him

In 2019 Johnson could still sell the credulous Brexit unicorns and the performance that he was a good geezer.

Now the ongoing, baleful impact of his oven-ready Brexit becomes clearer every day - worst performing economy in the G7, anyone? - and the pandemic and the crucible of No. 10 showed us his true character.

It's over, he's done.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,076
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

0 given she isn't even a parliamentary candidate or MP
    Yet.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,431
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

2025 local Tory candidates hoping any bloodlust against the party will be sated by the GE.

Well in 1998 the Conservatives managed a couple of hundred gains. Might be difficult next year to do that given what’s up and when it was last contested.
    By next May a Starmer government could be battling strikes, inflation and slow growth and have responsiibility for immigration, it could be a different picture entirely and the Tories would get the protest vote for the first time in over a decade.

Though I suspect it will take a year or 2 for Starmer's government to really become unpopular
    Well he would.

I suspect it will be a long honeymoon.

This really has been a horror show in this country. I suspect it will be at least 3 General Elections before the Conservatives return to power and it may take 20 years before the damage to their reputation is restored.
  • Options

Not a good diplomatic statement but to be re elected Biden will need immigrant votes so electorally it will likely be less damaging, if your main aim is tighter border control and fewer immigrants you almost certainly voted for Trump in 2020 anyway
  • Options

a

MattW said:

Toton?

Oxford isn't about LTN in the sense of 20mph-in-residential-streets-with-one-lane-between-parked-cars, but a general policy. Which is to get rid of vehicles in the centre - and is being implemented rather badly. The impact on businesses is noticeable.
    Cambridge did this years ago. Oxford are just copying.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    isam said:

I guess you're referring to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Wirral_South_by-election

Remarkable turnout for a by-election.

The Blackpool South result is consistent with Labour winning very comfortably at the General Election.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,049

I would disagree. I actually think this situation was inevitable for the Tories under any referendum result. Johnson wanted No.10 and he was going to get it. He might have taken a bit of a hit if he backed the wrong horse but given things were likely to get worse for Cameron whatever the result and with a split party and that Johnson was still, at that time, the blue eyed boy for too many Tories, he was going to get into power and everything we have seen since would have devleoped in a very similar way.

I actually think the biggest cause of the last few years was the decision by Hague in 1998 to let the party members be involved in choosing the leader.
  • Options
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

We we can disagree on that, but the initial point made was ‘it all went wrong when Boris was made leader’ which ignores the fact that the Tories are in the same position now as they were before him; a mess. They had just hit 9% in the Euro Elections, and it only got better when he was made leader, the worse when someone replaced him. It seems a ridiculous thing to think, given the facts, that the high point, the success, was the bad move when the before and after were existential crises
    Labour learned, eventually, from its mistake in picking Corbyn. Whether the Tories learn from their mistakes remains to be seen. But putting Johnson anywhere near power was among their biggest, not least because it was all so obviously foreseeable, and foreseen.
  • Options
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

We we can disagree on that, but the jnitisl point made was ‘it all went wrong when Boris was made leader’ which ignores the fact that the Tories are in the sand position now as they were then, a mess, and it only got better when he was made leader, and worse when he stopped. It seems a ridiculous thing to think, given the facts
    If Boris had behaved himself then he would still be Prime Minister and the Conservatives would be ahead in the polls.

He had the opportunity but he threw it away because he was unwilling/unable to learn from mistakes or pay attention to warning signs.

What happened after he left office might not be his fault but it cannot be undone by Boris becoming leader again.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,269
    edited May 3
    A quick scan suggests PB is back, thankfully. It was spammed with utter drivel last night. Absolutely shocking on election night when people have bets on, on a betting site. Was completely unbearable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

**NEW**

David Campbell Bannerman, the ex-Tory MEP and chairman of the Conservative Democratic Organisation, calls on Rishi Sunak to resign.

He tells
    @Telegraph
    : “Once again local elections under Sunak have been absolutely disastrous. A year ago we should have won seats…”

“…under him; we lost 1,000 councillors. This time is the worst performance in 40 years, so far.

“Sunak is not a natural campaigner and wasn’t even seen campaigning. The lesson is clear: enough of this disastrous, visionless, vacuous leadership. Rishi must go and go now….”

“…This is a reality check for Conservative MPs: enough avoidance of the problem. If you don’t dump Sunak now the party is finished for at least a decade or more and the country is in danger under a hard Left woke Labour. Do the necessary and do it quickly!”

That would be the same DCB who was a UKIP MEP for many years?
    Quite. He wrote their 2010 manifesto and stood for their leadership twice.

He is also distantly related to one of our great PMs from history, Henry Campbell-Bannerman, although I'm not sure of the exact relationship...?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,346
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

There's something a bit ghoulish about this take by the British Right (one hears it a lot): we've left the country in such a shit state that the damage is irrecoverable and so Labour are screwed.
  • Options
    @SamCoatesSky

Ex cabinet minister Justine Greening tells Sky News that the results do not mean Rishi Sunak is safe - and that MPs will take the weekend to work out whether to make a move
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

The Blackpool South result is consistent with Labour winning very comfortably at the General Election.
    And South East Staffordshire… Labour were gaining seats by adding votes from 92, whereas now they’re gaining them whilst losing votes. I dont say it means they won’t win comfortably, but it is a difference
  • Options
    New Blackpool MP's wife is called Portia.

How Shakespeare is that @TSE ??
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,930
    edited May 3

isam said:

They sacked him

In 2019 Johnson could still sell the credulous Brexit unicorns and the performance that he was a good geezer.

Now the ongoing, baleful impact of his oven-ready Brexit becomes clearer every day - worst performing economy in the G7, anyone? - and the pandemic and the crucible of No. 10 showed us his true character.

It's over, he's done.
    I didn't have any particularly strong qualms about either Parker (Labour) or Street (crypto-Conservative) winning the West Midlands mayoral election and so was going to vote with my heart for one of the minor party candidates. But Boris's endorsement of Street swung it for me, and so I voted Labour for the first time in my life.
  • Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 4
    Any thoughts on under/over 500 losses?
    Odds on under have lengthened on Betfair...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

a

Sandpit said:

Ghedebrav said:

Yup - they are not even doing the basic job vetting stuff, at any level, that I can see.

Labour's probable landslide will get them a whole raft of people who will turn out to be... interesting.
    Oh there will almost certainly be another Jared O’Mara in there somewhere if they get 400 seats - which should have been Labour’s vetting wake-up call. Possibly the most unsuitable MP in living memory.

The party HQs appear blinded by ideology over pragmatism, and need to find impartial investigators to keep them in check and be able to say no to the higher-ups.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131
    Scott_xP said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@nickeardleybbc

Surely a lot of Tory MPs will be looking at these results and be thinking why not roll the dice one last time?

I think any sane Tory MP will be more focused on their post Parliamentary career - little point changing things when the difference is at best marginal and won’t help you personally
    Richi is a drag on the ticket. Every Tory MP would stand a better chance of winning if he was not their leader.
    Counter argument who else is

1) stupid enough to stand and take the blame for the forthcoming defeat
    2) isn’t equally repulsive to a different section of the Tory party base
    3) can win a membership vote

• Options

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

We we can disagree on that, but the jnitisl point made was ‘it all went wrong when Boris was made leader’ which ignores the fact that the Tories are in the sand position now as they were then, a mess, and it only got better when he was made leader, and worse when he stopped. It seems a ridiculous thing to think, given the facts
    If Boris had behaved himself then he would still be Prime Minister and the Conservatives would be ahead in the polls.

He had the opportunity but he threw it away because he was unwilling/unable to learn from mistakes or pay attention to warning signs.

What happened after he left office might not be his fault but it cannot be undone by Boris becoming leader again.
    I’m not saying he should be lesser again, but I disagree that him being leader in the first place caused the Tories problems. That claim is easily defeated by pointing out the state they were in before he was PM

But like saying Leicester City’s problems were all caused by Ranieiri winning them the league
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493

I don’t think that pre-Austerity the great British people would have been massively enamoured of the EU. The general attitude of the public has always been indifferent at best towards all things Europe.

I also tend to be wary of suggestions that some untried or rejected alternatives would have led to a radically different outcome. Experience tends to suggest otherwise. There’s nothing to say that had we continued in the EU the course of recent history would have been much different. The Conservatives would still be riven, the post pandemic economy would still be struggling etc. The referendum was never going to heal any fault lines in UK politics but expose them.
  • Options
    edited May 3

Mr. HYUFD, disagree entirely. The 2019 result was not pro-Johnson but anti-Corbyn. Hunt would've secured a majority, and governed better than Johnson did.

No he wouldn't, the Brexit Party vote would have been far higher had Hunt been Tory leader in 2019 and so the result would likely have been barely no change from 2017. The redwall would not have fallen either and it would have been another hung parliament most likely even with Tories maybe still most seats
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,187
    Jarnail Singh is back in the PO witness chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpBx9l_PGE
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 148
    Foxy said:

Presumably the overnight results are all out and it's just starting today's counts so no more chicken entrails to study until lunchtime.

See you later.

It's slow but credit to Winchester and Southampton for counting overnight. Only thing is, it's about the same time they declare in Generals!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131
    algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Agree, with the caveat that turnout is low. Only fairly hardened citizens stop mowing the lawn to turn up. OTOH I know people - the moderate one nation, always Tory, backbone of community types - who voted Labour this time not through gritted teeth but thinking they are the better and more decent, in every way, option.

PCC for the 5th time we had a choice between a Labour candidate who previously worked with the police force and is likely to stand until their retire
    Or a know nothing Tory career politician with low ambitions.

Strangely Durham PCC has always had a Labour PCC chair
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Your map needs NE-2 to flip to Trump (or Nebraska to switch to statewide winner takes all - which would invite Maine to do the same). Biden won NE-2 by 6.5% in 2020. He won Wisconsin by 0.6%. Of course it's possible for Biden to hold onto Wisconsin (and Penn and Michigan) while losing NE-2, but is there any reason for the swing to Trump to be so much bigger in NE-2 than in those states?

In the case of a tie House delegations will for sure vote for Trump. Another stupid US constitutional rule.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,355
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

Labour learned, eventually, from its mistake in picking Corbyn. Whether the Tories learn from their mistakes remains to be seen. But putting Johnson anywhere near power was among their biggest, not least because it was all so obviously foreseeable, and foreseen.
    I think we forget that within 1 month of winning the election Boris had to deal with a once in a 100 year pandemic. Who knows what would have happened if there was no pandemic..
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Meanwhile, as a diversion from the elections while morning counting gets underway, the Post Office’s comedy lawyer Jarnail Singh is getting warned not to incriminate himself by the inquiry chair. …

Beer not pulling his punches.,the first question: “were you involved in a cover up?”
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

And South East Staffordshire… Labour were gaining seats by adding votes from 92, whereas now they’re gaining them whilst losing votes. I dont say it means they won’t win comfortably, but it is a difference

Keep clutching at it!
  • Options

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

There's something a bit ghoulish about this take by the British Right (one hears it a lot): we've left the country in such a shit state that the damage is irrecoverable and so Labour are screwed.
    Not so much this country but the world.

Compare the world situation of 1997 to what Starmer will have to deal with now - Russia, Middle East, China, global warming, immigration, AI.

But indeed there are also economic problems, that existed in 2010, which still haven't been resolved - trade deficit, social care, unaffordable housing, student debt.

Whereas in 1997 the UK ran a trade surplus, had affordable housing and trivial levels of student debt.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,451
    edited May 3
    Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Armando Ianoucci did this scenario in Veep. Complete with Hugh Laurie trying to get promoted from VP on the ticket to being elected President in Congress...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,208

FF43 said:

Having said that, Johnson's 2019 coalition was a thing. As people said at the time, I thought correctly, Johnson was the master of all he surveyed. What went wrong?

I think part of it is the coalition didn't survive Johnson. The Faustian pact was to change the Conservative Party into the Boris Party. He went and there was nothing left
    The party was in the process of being recast too. That realignment you saw in the red wall was real, and I think will come back to haunt Labour in future. But Boris was fundamentally too lazy, too complacent and too much of a chancer to put the work in to really complete that project. Hence why you have successors defaulting to true blue Tory low tax/small state mantras that don’t chime with the public.

You cannot level up from the economically liberal, sovereignty-maximalist, culture war right. There needs to be a level of state intervention and wealth redistribution. That involves Tory pragmatism and a return to the centre-right.

Indeed. The problem the Conservative Party faces is how to appeal in a world that wants levelling-up whilst remaining Conservative. Culture war satisfies them emotionally but prevents them from engaging with that problem. Sunak is a good second-in-command but not a Field Marshal, and they need the latter.
  • Options

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Keep clutching at it!
    Why is it clutching at straws to notice that Labour don’t add votes to their GE19 result when winning by elections? Don’t you have a curious mind st all? Would it mean anything if only 100 people voted but they all voted Labour?
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@nickeardleybbc

Counter argument who else is

1) stupid enough to stand and take the blame for the forthcoming defeat
    2) isn’t equally repulsive to a different section of the Tory party base
    3) can win a membership vote

Someone who drives a car (not a helicopter), can use a debit card, doesn't sneer at voters and doesn't take the hump when asked a question in an interview...

How hard can it be?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

kamski said:

Your map needs NE-2 to flip to Trump (or Nebraska to switch to statewide winner takes all - which would invite Maine to do the same). Biden won NE-2 by 6.5% in 2020. He won Wisconsin by 0.6%. Of course it's possible for Biden to hold onto Wisconsin (and Penn and Michigan) while losing NE-2, but is there any reason for the swing to Trump to be so much bigger in NE-2 than in those states?

In the case of a tie House delegations will for sure vote for Trump. Another stupid US constitutional rule.
    The Senate would likely vote for Harris as VP however, yet as you say very difficult to see how a 269-269 scenario comes about
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@SamCoatesSky

Ex cabinet minister Justine Greening tells Sky News that the results do not mean Rishi Sunak is safe - and that MPs will take the weekend to work out whether to make a move

CYA punditry. Never admit you don't have a scooby. Play for time.
  • Options

I think we forget that within 1 month of winning the election Boris had to deal with a once in a 100 year pandemic. Who knows what would have happened if there was no pandemic..

The Brexit shitshow would have been more visible, earlier...
  • Options

New Blackpool MP's wife is called Portia.

How Shakespeare is that @TSE ??

If only it could have been Liverpool, and then the quality of Mersey would not have been strained.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

Of course. But people hated him for winning the referendum, and so logic & nuance ho out the window.
  • Options
    @gabrielmilland

A superb flowchart outlining what happens next from my excellent @PortlandComms colleagues including @Tom_Rayner. Includes the 11 possible Thursdays on which an election could be held between now and January.

• Options
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

Of course. But people hated him for winning the referendum, and so logic & nuance ho out the window.
    Some people hated him, but he had just won a general election, suggesting he was more liked than disliked. What happened subsequently was a series of errors he made that caused opinions to shift.
  • Options
    @AnushkaAsthana

Tories desperate to slow narrative taking hold- hopeful about some mayoral results. Just been sent this message on MPs Whatsapp group- from Hastings MP Sally Ann-Hart:

• Options

MattW said:

Toton?

Duh, sorry. Didcot and Watnage.
    I thought you might be near old stamping grounds :smile:
  • Options
    @NewStatesman

The local election results suggest the Tories are heading for one of their worst defeats in history.
  • Options
    edited May 3

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

Some people hated him, but he had just won a general election, suggesting he was more liked than disliked. What happened subsequently was a series of errors he made that caused opinions to shift.
    But before he became leader/PM, the same people who hate on him now were saying he wouldn’t win the leadership race, then he wouldn’t win a GE. If you look at PB from late summer 2019, NOM was the thinking man’s prediction. The voters made sure he won a massive majority, and they never turfed him out
  • Options
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

Boris's Number 10 was dysfunctional from the beginning when, rather than competent managers, Boris brought in the Vote Leave team to run the place, and also unstable because opposing them was Carrie, Dominic Cummings' nemesis.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I don’t think that pre-Austerity the great British people would have been massively enamoured of the EU. The general attitude of the public has always been indifferent at best towards all things Europe.

I also tend to be wary of suggestions that some untried or rejected alternatives would have led to a radically different outcome. Experience tends to suggest otherwise. There’s nothing to say that had we continued in the EU the course of recent history would have been much different. The Conservatives would still be riven, the post pandemic economy would still be struggling etc. The referendum was never going to heal any fault lines in UK politics but expose them.
    My take is, and always has been, that the only way to discredit Brexit would be to try it. A Remain vote in 2016 would have led to the (probably narrowly) defeated Leavers boosting UKIP in the way that (narrowly defeated) Nats flocked to the SNP in 2015. It would remain a festering boil in our national discourse.

Now we've tried it, everyone can see how Brexit has helped no-one, caused a lot of damage and inconvenience (albeit not of the apocalyptic variety predicted by over enthused pro-EU types) for practically zero tangible return. As a result is starting to deflate with a slow puncture.

(Spoiler alert) Towards the end of High Fidelity, the novel, Laura gets back with Rob because remaining split up is too much hard work. You can see where I'm going with this...
  • Options
    edited May 3

IanB2 said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

They sacked him

Boris had broad support of the public during the pandemic. When he was in hospital was pretty much the peak of his ratings, and if he'd followed his own rules he may well have been steering the Tories to another victory right now.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/timeline-lockdown-web.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Hartlepool_by-election
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,269
    Foxy said:

The Conservatives have a councillor on Newcastle City Council for the first time in 32 years so there’s that

A bit like the Tory gains in Leicester in last years locals, eventually a one party state becomes intolerable.

In Leicester there also was a feud between the elected mayor and the councillors.
    It’s more that the Labour vote was so high in Gosforth, that let the Tory in.

Scott_xP said:

@robpowellnews

Starmer & Rayner on a victory lap in Blackpool saying the by election result here shows Rishi Sunak needs to call a general election right now.

“Let’s turn the page on this decline”, said Starmer.

The Tories need Watson to charge Rayner today to shift the narrative.
    Give it a rest. For just one day.
This discussion has been closed.