Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The front pages after the Tory election drubbing – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Cyclefree said:

This CoE stuff is so tone deaf

They have no choice. I agree the overt religiosity is a real problem going forward though.
    Well I'm Catholic and I have no problem with it. We've graciously allowed you to use the cathedral we built. I hope you're suitably grateful.

😀

To an increasing number of younger people religion is arcane. That can't be avoided. Inviting people of multiple faiths is not really a solution. I don't know what the answer is other than disestablishment.
    Why does it need an answer?
    If the Monarchy is not seen as relevant to the younger generation it's support will fade. I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. It is at a Country House. There will be no religious element. That is increasingly the case among the young now.
    A loss of mystique would be more damaging than a loss of support.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    I love the fact if is all so serious. Absolutely sombre. The real deal. A coronation
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

GIN1138 said:

There’s no way George is going to grow up believing in god.

It's an ancient ceremony?

Is everyone who has a wedding or a funeral devoutly religious? I think most people are able to separate their own personal faith (or lack of) with important ceremonys at the most important times in life.
    I got married at a hotel, no religion whatsoever involved. Why have a church wedding if you don't believe in it?
    Exactly. And hotel weddings are much more fun. The ceremony takes around 20 minutes leaving far more time for dancing, drinking and carousing.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

kinabalu said:

It seems that all these ancient ceremonies have to involve Penny Mordaunt.

Black Rod up next?
    No. Running in the 2.50 at Newmarket. Currently 11/1. Will be a popular choice today.

• Options

What a pile of boring pious nonsense. Still, given the pisspoor weather in London today we can finally conclude that God is a catholic.

You really do not need to watch it you know
    I’ve flicked over to SkySportsNews - one of the few places to avoid it, it would seem.
    I've not seen a single second of it. I'm current drinking coffee in the rain, surveying a rain filled ditch.
    I get that it's a once in a lifetime show, historic pageant, blah, blah, blah, but it ain't nowt to do with me, I just pay for it 🤡
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

ZADOK

The Old Testament figure who sounds like a Welsh or Zoroastrian New Age healer.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,410
    If the Prince of Wales has finished dressing his father, perhaps he could have a go at Boris's collar.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    That’s quite a lot of stuff.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    edited May 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

They have no choice. I agree the overt religiosity is a real problem going forward though.
    Well I'm Catholic and I have no problem with it. We've graciously allowed you to use the cathedral we built. I hope you're suitably grateful.

😀

To an increasing number of younger people religion is arcane. That can't be avoided. Inviting people of multiple faiths is not really a solution. I don't know what the answer is other than disestablishment.
    Traditional religion may be.

But even a cursory glance at our society will show that the religious impulse - the desire to believe in something - all sorts of ideologies and belief systems- coupled with shunning of heretics and quasi priestly castes etc and mantras or catechisms - is alive and well.

Indeed it seems strongest amongst the young. The real issue is what these belief systems are and what vices and virtues they have. Railing against established religions rather misses asking these crucial (to me, anyway) questions.

"When a man stops believing in God, he doesn't then believe in nothing, he believes anything."
    Indeed. I'm not arguing that organised religion has been replaced with enlightened reason. The young are full of ideology but it isn't really spiritual and I'm afraid the religious aspect - not all the other pageantry as such - will strike them as odd.

Inviting all the other religions simply re-enforces the suspicion that religion is being specially privileged.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

What a pile of boring pious nonsense. Still, given the pisspoor weather in London today we can finally conclude that God is a catholic.

I’ve flicked over to SkySportsNews - one of the few places to avoid it, it would seem.
    I've not seen a single second of it. I'm current drinking coffee in the rain, surveying a rain filled ditch.
    I get that it's a once in a lifetime show, historic pageant, blah, blah, blah, but it ain't nowt to do with me, I just pay for it 🤡
    I'm watching World Superbike from Catalunya. Ducati have had their rev limit cut by 250rpm.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,826
    edited May 2023
    [deleted]
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

So did Charlie swear an oath to the Pope there behind that screen?

The screen is to prevent the scaly lizard skin from being seen by anyone but the archbishop (who is a lizard himself, of course).
  • Options
    The King's not going to catch cold is he with all these warm weather garments?
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599

If the Prince of Wales has finished dressing his father, perhaps he could have a go at Boris's collar.

I think Boris must have got dressed in a hurry
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    tlg86 said:

PB is going to have a collective aneurism when Anfield boos the national anthem at 5:30.

I’m not sure they will actually. But if they do, it’ll just confirm what most of us think of them.
    Want me to remind you of your posts from the evening of last year’s Champions League final and how wrong you were about Liverpool fans then?

Leon levels of wrong.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649

GIN1138 said:

Is everyone who has a wedding or a funeral devoutly religious? I think most people are able to separate their own personal faith (or lack of) with important ceremonys at the most important times in life.
    I got married at a hotel, no religion whatsoever involved. Why have a church wedding if you don't believe in it?
    Exactly. And hotel weddings are much more fun. The ceremony takes around 20 minutes leaving far more time for dancing, drinking and carousing.
    I like the energy and mood change you get from moving between venues: serious and sombre in church, then the walk (ideally, or the trip in the rented bus) to the reception where there are drinks waiting.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The music's gone a bit Star Wars....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Leon said:

I love the fact if is all so serious. Absolutely sombre. The real deal. A coronation

It is the real deal and very different seen in colour to the black and white we watched in 1953

It has to be remembered this is effectively a Church of England ceremony and has so many rituals

I have said many times I am ambivalent to the monarchy, but even with its faults I prefer it to a republic

And nobody does this better than we do and broadcast to a global audience
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    He could have done with the umbrella of righteousness today.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

PB is going to have a collective aneurism when Anfield boos the national anthem at 5:30.

I’m not sure they will actually. But if they do, it’ll just confirm what most of us think of them.
    Want me to remind you of your posts from the evening of last year’s Champions League final and how wrong you were about Liverpool fans then?

Leon levels of wrong.
    Nah, there were ticketless Liverpool fans there.

• Options

kinabalu said:

It seems that all these ancient ceremonies have to involve Penny Mordaunt.

Black Rod up next?
    I am a large language model and I have been trained not to respond to offensive racial stereotypes (or even flattering ones).
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    Chris said:

So did Charlie swear an oath to the Pope there behind that screen?

The screen is to prevent the scaly lizard skin from being seen by anyone but the archbishop (who is a lizard himself, of course).
    They take a few minutes to share a blue WKD before getting back to the fannying about.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    Dialup said:

What a remarkable and amazing story that Charles only got two A-levels - a B in History, and a C in French, and yet still got into Cambridge and then later became the actual Head of State.

https://twitter.com/Psythor/status/1654747573976985601

It's not what you know it's who you know, and I believe his mum had some contacts.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

This getting naked behind a screen thing is the weirdest bit so far

Getting naked not behind a screen thing would be weirder...
  • Options
    Why has Charles got one glove on, like Michael Jackson?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

The music's gone a bit Star Wars....

Matches the outfits.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

Trust me, it’s very similar to drinking coffee in the rain, but without the benefit of coffee.
  • Options
    Thanks be to God - that's over.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    BREAKING: Fights break out in King's coronation crowds over umbrellas as miserable royal fans get soaked

Miserable royal fans have been left soaked this morning in Central London as tens of thousands of people descended on the city for the King's coronation. Fights have reportedly broken out in the crowds near Westminster Abbey as people were forced to put umbrellas up to shield them from the rain.

But this resulted in blocking people's view of the procession. A MyLondon reporter at the scene witnessed a number of 'scuffles' breaking out minutes before King Charles' procession was due to come past along the 1.4-mile route.

The less than ideal weather has not stopped Londoners and tourists alike from descending on The Mall to witness history, the first coronation since the late Queen Elizabeth II was crowned in 1953. But many royal fans have been left disappointed as the Mall has been closed off for well over two hours due to crowd control reasons.

• Options
    He kinda has done the Dame Edna transformation after all.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,960

It’s in memory of Dirty Diana.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Penny Mordaunt is really very stunning. Beautifully dressed and holds herself well. She has presence. It was noticeable at the ceremonies after HMQ died but is really on display today.

Holding a great big sword is clearly good for the posture.
  • Options

Playing a quick round of Golf before lunch I believe.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
  • Options
    I hope you all made your pledge of allegiance.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Penny Mordaunt is really very stunning. Beautifully dressed and holds herself well. She has presence. It was noticeable at the ceremonies after HMQ died but is really on display today.

Holding a great big sword is clearly good for the posture.
    Don't, I can't take more of that ;.)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

Football Focus appears to have been delayed.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    stjohn said:

Thanks be to God - that's over.

Don't be silly - they've still to crown Camilla yet!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Leon said:

Brilliant gospel singing

Hmmm... Ok, so when will we have our first non-white Head of State?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Leon levels of wrong.

You are spinning for UEFA.

Furthermore, there was ‘no evidence’ to support the ‘reprehensible’ claims made by UEFA and the French authorities in the aftermath that masses of ticketless Liverpool fans attempting to gain illegal entry to the match were at fault.

‘Assertions regarding huge numbers of ticketless supporters, and those with fake tickets, have been wrongly inflated and have been stated as fact, to deflect responsibility for the planning and operational failures,’ the report reads.

Instead, the panel’s findings heap praise on fans who attended the game, saying that their behaviour significantly contributed to the narrow avoidance of a ‘mass fatality catastrophe.’

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    We should have six hour coronations every day
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    The Met Police.

Being attacked in the streets? Bike nicked? Can't help mate.

Placard - to the Tower with you
  • Options
    The moment we thought we'd never see. Queen Camilla.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    SandraMc said:

I think Boris must have got dressed in a hurry
    He looks like he slept in his clothes. Probably consigned to the couch again.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

Why does it need an answer?
    If the Monarchy is not seen as relevant to the younger generation it's support will fade. I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. It is at a Country House. There will be no religious element. That is increasingly the case among the young now.
    I can think of very few young people who would be alienated by a friend having a religious wedding or funeral.

The relgiious side is a big part of what makes the coronation impressive.

Imagine a coronation ceremony being conducted by Keith Porteous Wood or Nicola Sturgeon.
    To you, maybe.

Remember we’re paying for this.
    And?
    TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

I like the energy and mood change you get from moving between venues: serious and sombre in church, then the walk (ideally, or the trip in the rented bus) to the reception where there are drinks waiting.
    Agreed. I greatly enjoy the wedding service.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

Wouldn't want to be the servant who forgot to bring his other glove....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Leon levels of wrong.

You are spinning for UEFA.

Furthermore, there was ‘no evidence’ to support the ‘reprehensible’ claims made by UEFA and the French authorities in the aftermath that masses of ticketless Liverpool fans attempting to gain illegal entry to the match were at fault.

‘Assertions regarding huge numbers of ticketless supporters, and those with fake tickets, have been wrongly inflated and have been stated as fact, to deflect responsibility for the planning and operational failures,’ the report reads.

Instead, the panel’s findings heap praise on fans who attended the game, saying that their behaviour significantly contributed to the narrow avoidance of a ‘mass fatality catastrophe.’

They certainly look after their own. A shame many don't feel British.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,826

I hope you all made your pledge of allegiance.

I did. I struggled for a bit earlier in the week before I worked out that if I inserted the word "rightful" in the right place it would absolve me in case of a monarch going mad in situ. If I ever emigrate I'll have to pray for forgiveness and plead good cause.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Could have been Diana, if she’d played along with the game.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think that there may be productivity implications for that and we have enough of an issue there already.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

GIN1138 said:

100 agree with this. If you are making solemn vows to someone that you intend to keep for the rest of your life, why would you do it while faking part of it, the doing it in front of god? I cannot understand how people do this.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

Oh get over yourself. We have to pay for fire brigades and police forces and other organisations which according to countless recent reports are full of sexists, racists and homophobes and actual criminals.

We don't even get any nice music or horses to compensate.
    Republicanism is just so joyless, like listening to a six hour sermon on St. Kikda.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Oh get over yourself. We have to pay for fire brigades and police forces and other organisations which according to countless recent reports are full of sexists, racists and homophobes and actual criminals.

Sorry, I forgot you were the Queen of PB.
  • Options
    Great Hymn.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Thankfully that was avoided.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

100 agree with this. If you are making solemn vows to someone that you intend to keep for the rest of your life, why would you do it while faking part of it, the doing it in front of god? I cannot understand how people do this.
    Well I did. Out of respect for my wife's wishes and her mother's wishes. Turned out to be a pretty good investment of my time, so far.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If you cut the length of the coronation down to 1 minute, pretty much everyone in the country could be king/queen/whatever the word is for a non-binary monarch.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Penny been very involved in the ceremony and amazing how long she held the sword
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Sandpit said:

What a spectacularly unpleasant comment.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

I think that there may be productivity implications for that and we have enough of an issue there already.
    Productivity per hour worked would shoot up though.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599

Cyclefree said:

It's good to hear a female voice on here instead of males going on endlessly about Star Wars.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Penny been very involved in the ceremony and amazing how long she held the sword

(it's really a cardboard one).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Indeed, great stamina. Didn’t anyone notice the three gents behind her doing the same? :)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Chris said:

Leon said:

If you cut the length of the coronation down to 1 minute, pretty much everyone in the country could be king/queen/whatever the word is for a non-binary monarch.
    This has suddenly reminded me of that bizarrely synchronistic thing of the very first person in England to get their Coronavirus vaccine being that chap from Stratford called William Shakespeare, who looked like William Shakespeare, for some reason.

Democratic but symbolic comprehensiveness, maybe that's the connection.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

The Met Police.

I am a monarchist but preventing lawful protests by Republicans is wrong on so many levels. Stupid action by Government enacting the laws and stupid action by the police in enforcing them this way.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Popped out to the shops. Has Pagan warrior goddess Penny laid down her arms? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Did I just spot Tom Parker-Bowles? I wonder how someone like him is feeling?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Let's not completely forget the weekend's top story.....the final tally of +405 went off the end of the swingometer..

I’m not an LD and have no axe to grind here. But I do think more attention should have been paid to their remarkable performance in these elections.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Well I did. Out of respect for my wife's wishes and her mother's wishes. Turned out to be a pretty good investment of my time, so far.
    Same here. Catholic wedding but I was already an atheist by then. Didn’t bother me at all, and meant I got to choose the music for the choir.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    GIN1138 said:

Popped out to the shops. Has Pagan warrior goddess Penny laid down her arms? :open_mouth:

Oh no, I see she's still standing guard with her sword
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Let's not completely forget the weekend's top story.....the final tally of +405 went off the end of the swingometer..

I’m not an LD and have no axe to grind here. But I do think more attention should have been paid to their remarkable performance in these elections.
    OGH is welcome to use the image, scraped from the internet, in stories each day next week.
  • Options

Probably hungry. He does like his food.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,410
    GIN1138 said:

She let the King hold it for a few seconds but the sword is now back in Penny's hands.
  • Options
    Surely it's time for the procession in the rain, now?
  • Options

I think I'll have to log off 'till these comments are past ;.)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Blimey! Second shift.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The difference is mostly Jeremy Corbyn!
  • Options
    edited May 2023

GIN1138 said:

She let the King hold it for a few seconds but the sword is now back in Penny's hands.
    Awesome. Let that pleb Charles know who's in charge :D
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Dialup said:

The Met Police.

I am a monarchist but preventing lawful protests by Republicans is wrong on so many levels. Stupid action by Government enacting the laws and stupid action by the police in enforcing them this way.
    I don't see the PB Wokefinders for Freedom lamenting this. Just wait for the anti-woke protests under a Labour government. Labour have been given absolute carte blanche to deal with them in the same way.
  • Options

Chris said:

Leon said:

This has suddenly reminded me of that bizarrely synchronistic thing of the very first person in England to get their Coronavirus vaccine being that chap from Stratford called William Shakespeare, who looked like William Shakespeare, for some reason.

Second I think. And he’s now sadly deceased.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    IanB2 said:

(it's really a cardboard one).
    The original was sold off by the Wilson government in the late 60s afair.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    IanB2 said:

Surely it's time for the procession in the rain, now?

As is tradition.
  • Options

Wondering when the food and drink starts?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    stjohn said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Blimey! Second shift.
    It went horizontal for a bit but some money changed hands and Penny now has it upstanding again
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

GIN1138 said:

It's the event. That is why people do it. I know loads who have done it. Even more bizarrely with christenings as well. We got married in a registry office, but made an event of it, but we didn't have any naming ceremony for our children which I regret. I would have felt hypocritical doing any of this in a church, but of course you don't have to. You can do it without a church, but some people want the full event even if they don't believe.
  • Options

Perhaps she's had plenty of practice.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Chris said:

Leon said:

Second I think. And he’s now sadly deceased.
    Ah I see - interestingly symbolic, though, considering how random it was. Or was Stratford and he chosen ?
  • Options

This thread has abdicated

• Options

GIN1138 said:

They have quite nice buildings. Tradition. Expectations.

Not difficult to understand even if not for you.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

Cyclefree said:

There has been in recent months a level of misogyny on show here that does not reflect well on this forum and the main reason I have been largely absent.

And most certainly will be again. Still good to see why institutions like the fire brigade suffer from their well attested problems.
  • Options

Wondering when the food and drink starts?
    Well they are eating bread right now
  • Options

Probably only there to organise the catering.
  • Options

Looking forward to critiquing the finger buffet after this caper.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

There has been in recent months a level of misogyny on show here that does not reflect well on this forum and the main reason I have been largely absent.

And most certainly will be again. Still good to see why institutions like the fire brigade suffer from their well attested problems.
    You know we all love ya Miss Cycle :D
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,708
    Cyclefree said:

She’s certainly carried it off with a lot more panache than Jacob Rees Mogg would have done!
This discussion has been closed.