Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The front pages after the Tory election drubbing – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,525
    The King of Siam is there. NOT in a crop top
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    Eabhal said:

Princess Anne is FIRE. #myqueen

I've had dinner with Princess Anne. ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

Eabhal said:

Was she as gloriously aloof and frosty as you'd imagine?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Leon said:

The King of Siam is there. NOT in a crop top

So why are YOU in Bangkok? :lol:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,979
    Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

I would love to get inside Penny Mourdant's thinking here. It's very Game of Thrones ...

https://twitter.com/jerseydeanne/status/1654765082000211968

My lord above, that woman is beautiful.
    Very impressive cock range on old mate, here. Who can't he get it up for?
    At the risk of belaboring the obvious, my comment was meant to be clinical not carnal. She really is a beautiful woman and that outfit, although would not work for everyday, is phenomenal for formal occasions.
  • Options
    I’ve literally fallen over in front of the Crown Princess of Thailand as I unsuccessfully attempted a profound bow
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    As mentioned earlier on in PB, with her Norman name she looks uncannily like Catherine Deneuve.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Brighton Council’s new Labour leader responds to Brighton’s Green MP:

Thanks for the congratulations. But your Party has been a disaster for our City. An unmitigated disaster. And they needed to be kindly shown the door. A relief for us all.

https://twitter.com/bellasankey/status/1654658840372080642

First majority Labour council in nearly a quarter of a century…

For once I agree with a Labour politician....
    There has been some grumbling among the local Corbynista wing that she was imposed by the Starmer machine….which may be why they won so convincingly - although the Greens may have had some successes elsewhere Brighton was bloody and brutal.

Greens were a disaster for Brighton. It's
    an awful place to go to. I worked there for 25 yrs. Now I wouldn't go unless it was to the Theatre Royal but even that is long overdue for an complete refurbishment
    V Tacky now.
    Those who like Brighton can enjoy the 20mph speed limits and the appalling queues it brings. Dont get even a wheel in a bus lane or you will be ticketed Ghastly Anywhere but Brighton really.

Oh... and don't swin in the sea either... you might meet your ablutions. the beach is dangerous too so I am told..drug ephemera...
    The Theatre Royal is being refurbished at least. The Greens seemed more keen to impose more cycle lanes and a ULEZ. In fairness the bus service is pretty good - but the roads are a mess. I doubt the Greens will be back - they were reduced to their student vote core, with both their leader and deputy leader (my ward) were voted out.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    So raining heavily now in Ilford North, hopefully the faithful in Westminster have brought their Union Jack umbrellas :lol:
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’ve literally fallen over in front of the Crown Princess of Thailand as I unsuccessfully attempted a profound bow

Was this is in a bar in Bangkok, with all these names as code ?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Eabhal said:

Quite, quite the opposite, with caveats.

Before we met her, my Aussie GF was a republican, and asked me to do all the talking. When we met her, I could hardly get a word in edgeways as they chatted. Funnily, the conversation turned onto whether things are nature versus nurture - she said something like one of her earliest memories was riding a pony, and asked me about walking. To which I replied that my grandfather had been a keen walker and cyclist. We then chatted about places we knew on and around the coast, and she mentioned memories of HMY Britannia.

My GF ended up a firm monarchist - and she still is.

It must be quite hard having to meet so many people, and to find common things to chat about. It made a lifelong memory for the two of us, but I bet she forgot about us within ten minutes...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

I would love to get inside Penny Mourdant's thinking here. It's very Game of Thrones ...

https://twitter.com/jerseydeanne/status/1654765082000211968

She does look a bit like Margaery Tyrell.
  • Options
    They FINALLY reached the Abbey :lol:
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

If you’re gonna have a coronation this is how you do it

Insane levels of pageantry and religion. They should set off a ceremonial nuclear bomb over Wick at the end, blessed by the bishop of Lichfield

Why not? It would be little loss.
    We have relatives in Wick !!!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    Eabhal said:

What is she wearing? Is that the gowns for Order of the Thistle?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,787
    God, is it starting already? I’ve only just dropped off daughter to ballet before doing some shopping. I assumed the action would wait until lunchtime at least.

Not much coronation regalia around Brockley this morning. Zero sign of it in either of the rain soaked coffee shops by the station (which are interesting social signifiers for the area: Browns is comfortable centrist London Labour remainer vibe, The Broca is more Green / Corbyn f*** the patriarchy type of place.)
  • Options
    Here we go!!!!!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Good morning

For the second time in my lifetime I awake on coronation day and while being ambivalent to the monarchy there are many millions for whom today is historic and very special and I hope they have a wonderful day

Turning to politics the conservatives had a terrible day and it should not have surprised anyone after the debacle of the Johnson/ Truss time, and they need to unite behind Sunak and not listen to the siren voices bemoaning the eviction from office of Johnson

As for labour a good result but seemingly confirmation that Starmer has not yet sealed the deal with

It would be churlish not to recognise the spectacular success of the lib dems and greens which should provide red flag warnings for both the conservatives and labour

I am content with yesterday's result and would suggest that next year's GE , now almost certainly in October, could spin out any result but I would predict a labour government in coalition with the lib dems as a very real possibility and perfectly acceptable to me

I would just like to send my sincere congratulations to @NickPalmer on winning yesterday, and while we are not on the same page politically, he is a credit to politics, is a really nice person, and made a hilarious admission on here some weeks ago that has gone down in PB history

“… most commentators suggesting he may well become PM leading a minority government…”

Can you point me to a few? I think I’ve found one so far.
    It was the impression I had after catching up on the news after being involved all day with my son in law in a DIY project

Certainly I did not hear or read an endorsement that Starmer will win a majority
    That’s not what you said. You said most commentators are suggesting Sunak could well become PM leading a minority government. Can you point me to a few?
    He said 'most commentators are suggesting Starmer could well become PM leading a minority government', not Sunak.
    Oh. Shit. Yeah.
    No problem
  • Options
    TimS said:

God, is it starting already? I’ve only just dropped off daughter to ballet before doing some shopping. I assumed the action would wait until lunchtime at least.

Not much coronation regalia around Brockley this morning. Zero sign of it in either of the rain soaked coffee shops by the station (which are interesting social signifiers for the area: Browns is comfortable centrist London Labour remainer vibe, The Broca is more Green / Corbyn f*** the patriarchy type of place.)

Though my neighbouring table at Browns today (I alternate weekly) are discussing the “3 natural wine bars in Deptford”, so the groups do mingle a little.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,936
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

What is she wearing? Is that the gowns for Order of the Thistle?
    It's definitely a different colour to everyone else.

*Wikipedia deep dive*
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 603
    Prince George looks cute.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,262
    A suggestion for PB's best known troilist?

• Options
    Get out the 40,000 year old Siberian thurible and the ceremonial Irish skull-tankard full of Scythian brandy
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Eabhal said:

Before we met her, my Aussie GF was a republican, and asked me to do all the talking. When we met her, I could hardly get a word in edgeways as they chatted. Funnily, the conversation turned onto whether things are nature versus nurture - she said something like one of her earliest memories was riding a pony, and asked me about walking. To which I replied that my grandfather had been a keen walker and cyclist. We then chatted about places we knew on and around the coast, and she mentioned memories of HMY Britannia.

It must be quite hard having to meet so many people, and to find common things to chat about. It made a lifelong memory for the two of us, but I bet she forgot about us within ten minutes...
    Oh what a nice memory. That's the one thing the the Royals do have going for them. I bet it wouldn't have made anywhere near the same impression if you'd met a middle ranking government official or minister...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,060
    I fear Prince George will steal the show.
  • Options
    Penny's carrying the Sceptre (or something)
  • Options
    Queen Camilla !!!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    So quite chuffed to see my great friend John Goree stood right by the tomb of the unknown soldier at the Abbey as the King enters.
  • Options
    Beautiful
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Eabhal said:

Oh what a nice memory. That's the one thing the the Royals do have going for them. I bet it wouldn't have made anywhere near the same impression if you'd met a middle ranking government official or minister...
    Most of us think we’re cool as cucumbers and unmoved by celebrity or power until we find ourselves having a conversation with someone famous and treasuring it. I’ve not conversed with any of the royals (though I did sing at a wedding in Hereford cathedral where Charles, Di and Camilla were all guests and Will was a page boy) but I do recall being ridiculously starstruck when Curtly Ambrose exchanged a few words with me in a beer tent once.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Queen Camilla !!!

She looks really well. Her husband does not carry his years quite as well.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    The audio and music is excellent.
  • Options
    This is exquisitely done
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

Penny Mordaunt appearing as some kind of pagan goddess of war will be getting a few folk on here going.

Got to say that is one stylish outfit.
  • Options

Penny Mordaunt appearing as some kind of pagan goddess of war will be getting a few folk on here going.

She is well positioned for 2025, if Sunak steps down. A bit thin on substance but bang on with the style.
  • Options

kamski said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occurs to me that Aleister Crowley would be revelling in the coronation. He knew the overwhelming psychic importance of apparently pointless ritual. The older the better

It is ritual magic. It is athames and sacred orbs and incomprehensible unguents from Jerusalem

Much of this stretches back to the Anglo-Saxon Kings in the 8th Century. Some of it even has its roots in the Old Testament.

It is truly humbling.

Today is going to be a show the likes of which we've never seen in our lifetimes. Almost every country in the world has sent either their Head of State or a very senior representative. Billions will tune in.

Those who miss it will later regret it.
    Yes, you must have ZERO interest in history, religion, politics, music, architecture, pageantry to be determined to miss this. Even if you utterly loathe the monarchy it’s simply fascinating
    Sounds like an absolute yawnfest. And the coverage is guaranteed be unwatchably obsequious to anyone with any sense of decency.
    Even Der Spiegel has a live stream of the coronation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImL5Ev3LoA
    The NYT is updating its feed every couple of minutes.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/05/06/world/coronation-king-charles-uk
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If you saw this in a Hollywood production you would think it was over the top. But that is its charm. Pageantry done to perfection.
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    What a remarkable and amazing story that Charles only got two A-levels - a B in History, and a C in French, and yet still got into Cambridge and then later became the actual Head of State.

https://twitter.com/Psythor/status/1654747573976985601
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    Better pictures than last time!
  • Options
    Superb

Vivat! Vivat! Vivat!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Dialup said:

What a remarkable and amazing story that Charles only got two A-levels - a B in History, and a C in French, and yet still got into Cambridge and then later became the actual Head of State.

Just goes to show that anyone can do it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,542

So raining heavily now in Ilford North, hopefully the faithful in Westminster have brought their Union Jack umbrellas :lol:

Come to sunny Ilford South (well, overcast but dry).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

If you saw this in a Hollywood production you would think it was over the top. But that is its charm. Pageantry done to perfection.
    The technical work for a live event is first class.
  • Options
    Right here comes the boring bit. Time for hoovering...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

Fortunately, today isn't all about the Coronation

Correct. It's also the first stage of the Giro d'Italia!
  • Options

A suggestion for PB's best known troilist?

Obviously referencing the coronation of King Eadwig:

"According to the anonymous author of this saint’s life, the teenage Eadwig suddenly rushed out of his coronation ceremony after he had been anointed and crowned. Archbishop Oda ordered for Eadwig to be found, and he was discovered by Abbot Dunstan cavorting with two women, a mother and her adult daughter, ‘as if they were wallowing in a revolting pigsty’. His crown had been tossed on the ground, and after Dunstan had told the women off, he picked up the crown and placed it back on Eadwig’s head, and marched him back to his coronation feast."

https://florencehrs.substack.com/p/thelgifu-and-lfgifu-a-mother-and#details
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    GIN1138 said:

Suck it up ... :smiley:
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,542
    Sean_F said:

All the ex PM's and their spouses look very smart, apart from, inevitably, Boris Johnson, who's come as an overweight scarecrow.

I wasn't sure about orange hats.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,369
    One of the ladies here commented that Mehhan would not be at the Coronation because she would be outshone by Kate, who indeed looks fab.
  • Options
    Bryn Terfel makes one proud to be Welsh

Beautiful
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    How long has Penny Mordaunt got to hold that Sword of State for? Not going to be easy.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm surprised you didn't get an invite to the Coronation Jack. Did you have a more pressing engagement?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    stjohn said:

How long has Penny Mordaunt got to hold that Sword of State for? Not going to be easy.

< < resists the temptation to add a touch of Carry On to a major ceremonial occasion >>
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444

One advantage you have (or would have, since I suspect the weather will see it cancelled) is that the flypast comes in over Fairlop plain and then over South Woodford on the direct line into the palace.
  • Options
    Lot of cricket in the S.of England delayed.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm surprised you didn't get an invite to the Coronation Jack. Did you have a more pressing engagement?
    Staying the earthly side of eternity ...
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dialup said:

Diversity & Inclusion in action. Not many from his immediate family had gone to Oxbridge.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    This CoE stuff is so tone deaf
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

GIN1138 said:

Another views on the frocks:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/best-dressed-coronation-king-charles-b2333740.html

Though Mordaunt has changed her shoes.
  • Options

Bit of history attached to it, in fairness. None of that Catholic nonsense here.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,630
    Can't hide your sausage fingers now can you Charlie!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Someone didn’t learn their lines.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited May 2023
    Any f*ckups yet?

1. Prince Andrew was booed by crowds outside Buckingham Palace. Funny that. Rumours that Gary Glitter was asked to play "I'm the Leader of the Gang" have been denied.

2. That bint in the Mike Pence role will be anointed publicly.

3. That Line of Jesse/David tree image on the anointment screen! We all know it doesn't really represent the Commonwealth.

4. I hope Harry Egalité does something. From "Jacques de Molay, thou art avenged!" in 1793 to "Diana Spencer, thou art avenged" in 2023? Make your most of your 5 seconds in the Abbey on the world's TV screens, Hazzer!

• Options
    I hope they've checked the fountain pens, if needed.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314

Lot of cricket in the S.of England delayed.

My games off (no surprise).

Hope that pen works…
  • Options

They have no choice. I agree the overt religiosity is a real problem going forward though.
  • Options
    Phew! The pen worked.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996

No it isn't.
  • Options
    But tough on the old Catholics there, but then they shouldn’t have annoyed Henry VIII, so what do they expect?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

One advantage you have (or would have, since I suspect the weather will see it cancelled) is that the flypast comes in over Fairlop plain and then over South Woodford on the direct line into the palace.
    Yes. This. Hopefully they'll fly in from the same direction today, weather permitting! Got a decent enough view from my west-facing bedroom window on previous occasions (eg. 2012).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,630

They have no choice. I agree the overt religiosity is a real problem going forward though.
    The monarch is the head of the church, overt religioning is the whole point of this.
  • Options
    The latest SNP arrest spin:

MHAIRI Black has said the SNP would "drag the Labour Party to the left" in a hung parliament - as analysis suggests the SNP could hold the balance of power at the next election.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23504790.snp-drag-labour-left-hung-parliament/
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,521
    How long does Penny have to stand there with that sword?
  • Options

Disestablishmentarianism. It has to come.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The monarch is the head of the church, overt religioning is the whole point of this.
    Yes, it is the very essence. Woven into the British monarchy
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Eabhal said:

Most of us think we’re cool as cucumbers and unmoved by celebrity or power until we find ourselves having a conversation with someone famous and treasuring it. I’ve not conversed with any of the royals (though I did sing at a wedding in Hereford cathedral where Charles, Di and Camilla were all guests and Will was a page boy) but I do recall being ridiculously starstruck when Curtly Ambrose exchanged a few words with me in a beer tent once.
    I have never spoken to anyone famous (unless you can count Adam Heppinstall) but I can imagine what an effect it must have.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,816
    DavidL said:

That's easy for you to say...
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited May 2023
    Jonathan said:

Welby comes on and my wife says “is that Rowan Atkinson”.

Now there's someone who'd make a good president. A man for all seasons.

The Tory party playing dressup.
    And we all know what that great Welshman Nye Bevan said the Tories were lower than.

"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin."
  • Options
    William Byrd!!

(A secret Catholic I think?)
  • Options

MHAIRI Black has said the SNP would "drag the Labour Party to the left" in a hung parliament - as analysis suggests the SNP could hold the balance of power at the next election.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23504790.snp-drag-labour-left-hung-parliament/

Presumably not if Kate Forbes has taken over by then.
  • Options
    Leon said:

William Byrd!!

(A secret Catholic I think?)

The custard man?
  • Options
    edited May 2023

How long does Penny have to stand there with that sword?

Stop, I can't contain the double entendres..

And I'm sure she'd appreciate them, given her particular sense of humour..
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    MaxPB said:

And they wonder why lots of people are turned off…
  • Options

DavidL said:

That's easy for you to say...

Harder to spell, though.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Queen Camilla !!!

- Hag!

- I beg your pardon?

- Evil old woman, considered frightful or ugly, 12 down.

- Oh... bless you!
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224

LAB would much rather do a deal with LDs. Even if LDs only get 20 seats that could well be enough to get Keir over the line.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yes. This. Hopefully they'll fly in from the same direction today, weather permitting! Got a decent enough view from my west-facing bedroom window on previous occasions (eg. 2012).
    I was looking at the flight preparation arrangements yesterday, and it's the usual gather north of the wash, transit Fairlop, direct line into the palace over my old house in South Woodford, then peel off to the north west toward Brize. But this weather will probably scupper it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Fair play to Penny for the sword game. She’s rather good at this ceremonial, also did well around the passing of the Queen.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fair play to Penny for the sword game. She’s rather good at this ceremonial, also did well around the passing of the Queen.

Yes. Won't do her profile any harm.
  • Options
    Westie said:

Jonathan said:

Welby comes on and my wife says “is that Rowan Atkinson”.

Now there's someone who'd make a good president. A man for all seasons.

The Tory party playing dressup.
    And we all know what that great Welshman Nye Bevan said the Tories were lower than.
    It's all a bit solemn so far; we could do with a comedy interlude rendition of Chariots of Fire or similar
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's why I said they have no choice. The issue is whether it is sustainable in age of increasing irreligiosity.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Eabhal said:

I have never spoken to anyone famous (unless you can count Adam Heppinstall) but I can imagine what an effect it must have.
    I met a lot (probably over half) of the F1 drivers of the early 1990s. Mostly the back of the grid ones; not Senna or Prost. Through the same route, I also met Bernie Ecclestone, and chatted to him about concrete, of all things, before I realised who he was.

If I'd wanted, I could probably have swung a meeting with Senna. A very minor regret of my life.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238
    edited May 2023
    Sunak up, and he's been practicing.
This discussion has been closed.