Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The front pages after the Tory election drubbing – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,816
    Who are the Colloshuns?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2023
    Yes, in both ceremonies she 's actually looked the dominant figure. Public presentation is a big part of being a politician, and she has all that, along with the capacity to publicly empathise, too - not that common in politicians.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    Sandpit said:

Fair play to Penny for the sword game. She’s rather good at this ceremonial, also did well around the passing of the Queen.

Let's just wait and see how she does in the actual combat against the French president's champion. That is usually the acid test. Let's not forget it was touch and go in 1910.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,060
    That looks like one impressive suit the PM is wearing.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,026
    Has Penny outed herself as a Warhammer 40k player with that frock? Very Astra Militarum.

It’s the new Truss/Day Collar conspiracy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Rishi's just wearing a plain black suit??
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

Who are the Colloshuns?

Colleagues of the Cheesemakers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

This CoE stuff is so tone deaf

To whom?

A non-religious coronation would be dismal.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    Rishi Sunak read that beautifully
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Sean_F said:

To whom?

What would happen if William declared as a Catholic or atheist? Would they change the rules or skip him?

Guessing change the rules?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

They have no choice. I agree the overt religiosity is a real problem going forward though.
    Well I'm Catholic and I have no problem with it. We've graciously allowed you to use the cathedral we built. I hope you're suitably grateful.

😀

And what a magnificent build* it was too - as with many medieval cathedrals, abbeys and churches. I never cease to feel a moment of awe whenever I enter a building with gothic stone vaulting.

(*Although the west towers are Protestant of course)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392

That looks like one impressive suit the PM is wearing.

Got the impression that had been seriously practised too. Quite difficult verbiage in places. Odd look down but he seemed to have it off pat.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

To whom?

What would happen if William declared as a Catholic or atheist? Would they change the rules or skip him?

Skip, I suspect.
  • Options
    Sunak should quote the Bhagavad Geeta, where Krishna encourages a strong sense of duty and honour in Arjun when the latter has misgivings during the fratricidal Mahabharat War.
  • Options
    Actually there is a neat symbolism here. A Hindi head boy from Winchester.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited May 2023

Rishi Sunak read that beautifully

It must have been hard to read that as a Hindu.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

To whom?

Nothing would change. He’d still perform the ceremony.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

No it isn't.
    I thought this was opera not panto?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,630

Sean_F said:

To whom?

Skip, I suspect.
    Definitely skip.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,525
    Sunak doing well
  • Options
    In more important news, my sewer pipe relocation was quick and easy. .
    There's not any overt coronation stuff going on around here, not a lot of bunting, no street parties, but it is weirdly very quiet. No rain, so I'd expect at least a bit of DIY noise or lawn mowing but it's silent, especially now the mini digger is off.
    I guess everyone is indoors watching the great and the good playing dress up.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

Cyclefree said:

They have no choice. I agree the overt religiosity is a real problem going forward though.
    Well I'm Catholic and I have no problem with it. We've graciously allowed you to use the cathedral we built. I hope you're suitably grateful.

😀

And what a magnificent build* it was too - as with many medieval cathedrals, abbeys and churches. I never cease to feel a moment of awe whenever I enter a building with gothic stone vaulting.

I actually prefer the ancient, smaller churches - especially if you can find one that was not too heavily 'modernised' by the Victorians. Then again, I'm not find of bling in general - I'm not a fan of Pugin's interiors.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

To whom?

Skip, I suspect.
    The rules against a Roman Catholic succeeding were fixed in the 17th century. No rule against an atheist, as far as I know.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    Cyclefree said:

😀

And also the mosque round the corner on Victoria Street.
  • Options
    Rishi from Winchester, and the monarch acclaimed by centuries' old tradition by the scholars from Westminster. The elite schools getting in on the act again..
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314

Chris said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Eabhal said:

Princess Anne is FIRE. #myqueen

I've had dinner with Princess Anne. ;)
    Was she as gloriously aloof and frosty as you'd imagine?
    Quite, quite the opposite, with caveats.

Before we met her, my Aussie GF was a republican, and asked me to do all the talking. When we met her, I could hardly get a word in edgeways as they chatted. Funnily, the conversation turned onto whether things are nature versus nurture - she said something like one of her earliest memories was riding a pony, and asked me about walking. To which I replied that my grandfather had been a keen walker and cyclist. We then chatted about places we knew on and around the coast, and she mentioned memories of HMY Britannia.

My GF ended up a firm monarchist - and she still is.

It must be quite hard having to meet so many people, and to find common things to chat about. It made a lifelong memory for the two of us, but I bet she forgot about us within ten minutes...
    Oh what a nice memory. That's the one thing the the Royals do have going for them. I bet it wouldn't have made anywhere near the same impression if you'd met a middle ranking government official or minister...
    Most of us think we’re cool as cucumbers and unmoved by celebrity or power until we find ourselves having a conversation with someone famous and treasuring it. I’ve not conversed with any of the royals (though I did sing at a wedding in Hereford cathedral where Charles, Di and Camilla were all guests and Will was a page boy) but I do recall being ridiculously starstruck when Curtly Ambrose exchanged a few words with me in a beer tent once.
    I have never spoken to anyone famous (unless you can count Adam Heppinstall) but I can imagine what an effect it must have.
    I met a lot (probably over half) of the F1 drivers of the early 1990s. Mostly the back of the grid ones; not Senna or Prost. Through the same route, I also met Bernie Ecclestone, and chatted to him about concrete, of all things, before I realised who he was.

If I'd wanted, I could probably have swung a meeting with Senna. A very minor regret of my life.
    Through my role with graduation at the Uni I meet a number of celebs each year - this has included John Cleese, Bobby Charlton, Jenson Button and many more, but my favourite was Lewis, of Duckworth-Lewis method. He was nonplussed to be asked to sign a copy of wisden for me…
    I’m struck by how varied such folk are. Some are very approachable and friendly, others give a different feel, albeit often behind a facade.
    John Cleese came across as affable, but I did not take to him at all. Bill Bailey was great, kept rambling on about wizards!
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    Good moment for our country, whatever your politics, having Sunak read shows our multi-faceted and tolerant society.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    There’s no way George is going to grow up believing in god.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

😀

To an increasing number of younger people religion is arcane. That can't be avoided. Inviting people of multiple faiths is not really a solution. I don't know what the answer is other than disestablishment.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dialup said:

Good moment for our country, whatever your politics, having Sunak read shows our multi-faceted and tolerant society.

That's true. A public mix of tradition and progress isn't a bad face to show to the world.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited May 2023

What makes you say that. Are there no religious people below a certain age?
  • Options

Chris said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Eabhal said:

Princess Anne is FIRE. #myqueen

I've had dinner with Princess Anne. ;)
    Was she as gloriously aloof and frosty as you'd imagine?
    Quite, quite the opposite, with caveats.

Before we met her, my Aussie GF was a republican, and asked me to do all the talking. When we met her, I could hardly get a word in edgeways as they chatted. Funnily, the conversation turned onto whether things are nature versus nurture - she said something like one of her earliest memories was riding a pony, and asked me about walking. To which I replied that my grandfather had been a keen walker and cyclist. We then chatted about places we knew on and around the coast, and she mentioned memories of HMY Britannia.

My GF ended up a firm monarchist - and she still is.

It must be quite hard having to meet so many people, and to find common things to chat about. It made a lifelong memory for the two of us, but I bet she forgot about us within ten minutes...
    Oh what a nice memory. That's the one thing the the Royals do have going for them. I bet it wouldn't have made anywhere near the same impression if you'd met a middle ranking government official or minister...
    Most of us think we’re cool as cucumbers and unmoved by celebrity or power until we find ourselves having a conversation with someone famous and treasuring it. I’ve not conversed with any of the royals (though I did sing at a wedding in Hereford cathedral where Charles, Di and Camilla were all guests and Will was a page boy) but I do recall being ridiculously starstruck when Curtly Ambrose exchanged a few words with me in a beer tent once.
    I have never spoken to anyone famous (unless you can count Adam Heppinstall) but I can imagine what an effect it must have.
    I met a lot (probably over half) of the F1 drivers of the early 1990s. Mostly the back of the grid ones; not Senna or Prost. Through the same route, I also met Bernie Ecclestone, and chatted to him about concrete, of all things, before I realised who he was.

If I'd wanted, I could probably have swung a meeting with Senna. A very minor regret of my life.
    Oh, if I'd wanted I could have met loads of famous people.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

Even deeper symbolism as Sunak wasn’t “head boy” but was Head of the Commoners (Sen Co Prae) and second to the head boy of college, the original institution, which is accidentally appropriate as PM at the Coronation of the King.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Because he’ll get the best education money can buy.
  • Options
    Brilliant gospel singing
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    What a pile of boring pious nonsense. Still, given the pisspoor weather in London today we can finally conclude that God is a catholic.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Hmmm... Ok, so when will we have our first non-white Head of State?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Cyclefree said:

😀

To an increasing number of younger people religion is arcane. That can't be avoided. Inviting people of multiple faiths is not really a solution. I don't know what the answer is other than disestablishment.
    Why does it need an answer?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Even deeper symbolism as Sunak wasn’t “head boy” but was Head of the Commoners (Sen Co Prae) and second to the head boy of college, the original institution, which is accidentally appropriate as PM at the Coronation of the King.
    This is starting to sound like a Private Eye parody. I don't mean to say that the details aren't strictly accurate, but still ...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Ukraine has noticed:

💙💛 choice of colours #Coronation

Video: @RoyalFamily

https://twitter.com/MFA_Ukraine/status/1654796979979927553?s=20
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited May 2023

RobD said:

Their track record suggests money doesn’t help much in that area.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369

What a pile of boring pious nonsense. Still, given the pisspoor weather in London today we can finally conclude that God is a catholic.

You really do not need to watch it you know
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,980

It rained for the last two Coronations. It seems to have worked out OK. :)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited May 2023

It's an ancient ceremony?

Is everyone who has a wedding or a funeral devoutly religious? I think most people are able to separate their own personal faith (or lack of) with religious ceremony/tradition at the most important times in life and death
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

😀

I always find medieval cathedrals stunning. To achieve such structures with the tools and equipment they had at the time is just an incredible achievement. The Abbey is definitely one of the stars today.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444
    I'm missing the jump forward button and should have watched this dirge on catchup.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Just arrange for everyone ahead of Prince Archie in the line of succession to die in unusual ways, á la Kind Hearts and Coronets, and you'll have it.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

😀

I actually prefer the ancient, smaller churches - especially if you can find one that was not too heavily 'modernised' by the Victorians. Then again, I'm not find of bling in general - I'm not a fan of Pugin's interiors.
    God no, Victorian 'gothic' is usually pretty awful.

I hardly think you can class the nave of Westminster Abbey as 'clingy' though. Sublime verticality and airiness crowned by a stone vault that is the essence of form following function.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

😀

If the Monarchy is not seen as relevant to the younger generation it's support will fade. I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. It is at a Country House. There will be no religious element. That is increasingly the case among the young now.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Meghan can keep up - the LA Times are running live commentary:

https://www.latimes.com/
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It's an ancient ceremony?

Is everyone who has a wedding or a funeral devoutly religious? I think most people are able to separate their own personal faith (or lack of) with important ceremonys at the most important times in life.
    I got married at a hotel, no religion whatsoever involved. Why have a church wedding if you don't believe in it?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It seems that all these ancient ceremonies have to involve Penny Mordaunt.

And what an amazing job she does :D
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 603

RobD said:

RobD said:

Are you aware that Archbishop Justin Welby went to Eton?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I think this is a good rule for the future.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

I always find medieval cathedrals stunning. To achieve such structures with the tools and equipment they had at the time is just an incredible achievement. The Abbey is definitely one of the stars today.
    For anyone interested in this topic, I can highly recommend the book The Stone Skeleton by Jacques Heyman
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Chris said:

Dialup said:

Just arrange for everyone ahead of Prince Archie in the line of succession to die in unusual ways, á la Kind Hearts and Coronets, and you'll have it.
    William once got the most almighty bollocking from her late Majesty, for turning up to meet her at Sandringham with Catherine and all three of their children, in an helicopter he’d flown there himself from London. Imagine the crisis if we needed to use the Spare, after all that’s happened recently.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It proves the upper classes have still the upper hand:
    http://www.mordaunt.me.uk/baronets.html
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Are you aware that Archbishop Justin Welby went to Eton?
    1,000 years ago
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

😀

If the Monarchy is not seen as relevant to the younger generation it's support will fade. I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. It is at a Country House. There will be no religious element. That is increasingly the case among the young now.
    I can think of very few young people who would be alienated by a friend having a religious wedding or funeral.

The relgiious side is a big part of what makes the coronation impressive.

Imagine a coronation ceremony being conducted by Keith Porteous Wood or Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Leon said:

Sunak doing well

Amazeballs from him. Word perfect. Just slightly too late to impact the local elections unfortunately.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,914
    DavidL said:

The latest SNP arrest spin:

MHAIRI Black has said the SNP would "drag the Labour Party to the left" in a hung parliament - as analysis suggests the SNP could hold the balance of power at the next election.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23504790.snp-drag-labour-left-hung-parliament/

Presumably not if Kate Forbes has taken over by then.
    Why not? The Labour Party in London is very right-wing. Brexit and so on. And if it is a hung parliament then social issues in England will not be on the agenda as far as the SNP are concerned, except insofar as human rights are respected.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

Cyclefree said:

😀

God no, Victorian 'gothic' is usually pretty awful.

I hardly think you can class the nave of Westminster Abbey as 'clingy' though. Sublime verticality and airiness crowned by a stone vault that is the essence of form following function.
    Agree - and to clarify, I meant to *avoid* Victorian interiors.

But the exteriors - I quite like Gothic Revival. St Pancras hotel being a sublime example. Or the slightly understated GR exterior of my old school.

It's all the gilding in the interiors that I find far too much.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    I think the country is ceremonialled out.
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    I can honestly tell you that the word I would use to describe the reaction to King Charles and this Coronation from the under 35s bracket is "meh"
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

I can think of very few young people who would be alienated by a friend having a religious wedding or funeral.

Imagine a coronation ceremony being conducted by Keith Porteous Wood or Nicola Sturgeon.
    To you, maybe.

Remember we’re paying for this.
  • Options
    Penny still holding that sword. Been 45 minutes now! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238
    Soldiers peeking in through the corners of the screen to ensure no funny business.
  • Options
    This getting naked behind a screen thing is the weirdest bit so far
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

To you, maybe.

And?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Charlie through to the Champions League final
  • Options
    Oh that Handel is stunning.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

MHAIRI Black has said the SNP would "drag the Labour Party to the left" in a hung parliament - as analysis suggests the SNP could hold the balance of power at the next election.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23504790.snp-drag-labour-left-hung-parliament/

Why not? The Labour Party in London is very right-wing. Brexit and so on. And if it is a hung parliament then social issues in England will not be on the agenda as far as the SNP are concerned, except insofar as human rights are respected.
    The Labour Party headquarters in London, rather than Labour members or voters in London, don't forget; who are some of the most anti-Brexit and liberal, in the country, let's not forget.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,790
    Greatest orchestral build up and first phrase of any choral work.

Kind of goes a bit mediocre after that, but still.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    GIN1138 said:

Penny still holding that sword. Been 45 minutes now! :open_mouth:

Don't, that's testing my decorum ;,)
  • Options
    Be funny if he comes out from behind the screen dressed like Dame Edna Everage.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

For anyone interested in this topic, I can highly recommend the book The Stone Skeleton by Jacques Heyman
    Seconded. Interesting take away that I seem to recall from this or somewhere else is that the design of Gothic cathedrals is (a) compressive and (b) scales with unitary power (to a biologist, the allometric constant is 1.000). So making a scale model with bits of cut turnip works. If it falls down, no harm. If it doesn't, then have a go in 1:1 scale with real stone.

Didn't always work. Foundations were a dodgy area. Hence the in hindsight superb hasty lash-up at Wells Cathedral, and the bends in the Purbeck Marble columns at the crossing of Salisbury IIRC.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited May 2023
    This coronation is sponsored by Heineken and Mastercard.

Ugh. Caught a bit of the coronation in the hotel bar.

• Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

The Labour Party headquarters in London, rather than Labour members or voters in London ; who are some of the most anti-Brexit, and liberal, in the country, don't forget.
    Quite right - should have been still more specific. As you say.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    The supertunica.
  • Options
    So did Charlie swear an oath to the Pope there behind that screen?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    I wonder when Zadok the Priest was used for the first time at a coronation.
  • Options
    Anyway, we all know that super Eddie Howe is our King
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Andy_JS said:

George II
  • Options
    Glad to see Lord Carrington didn’t go all Spursy there.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

That's not the point. People can respect others' choices and yes the coronation is about the King but it is also supposed to be about the nation(s) he represents. I'm not sure something so alien to an increasingly large section of the public is going to encourage civic identity.

As I say there isn't much they can do. Attitudes to religion have changed massively since 1953.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    kinabalu said:

Black Rod up next?
  • Options
    Well done Penny!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Stop the Penny clock!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It was written for George II’s coronation.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

George II
    Must have been a bold choice at the time.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Cyclefree said:

😀

Traditional religion may be.

But even a cursory glance at our society will show that the religious impulse - the desire to believe in something - all sorts of ideologies and belief systems- coupled with shunning of heretics and quasi priestly castes etc and mantras or catechisms - is alive and well.

Indeed it seems strongest amongst the young. The real issue is what these belief systems are and what vices and virtues they have. Railing against established religions rather misses asking these crucial (to me, anyway) questions.

"When a man stops believing in God, he doesn't then believe in nothing, he believes anything."
  • Options
    PB is going to have a collective aneurism when Anfield boos the national anthem at 5:30.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

To you, maybe.

And?
    We're just coming out of a winter where energy bills have at least doubled for people who can't afford the increase. People have had difficult choices to make.
    That many people think Chaz's shindig is excessive and that the money could have been better spent elsewhere is a more than acceptable stance.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

PB is going to have a collective aneurism when Anfield boos the national anthem at 5:30.

I’m not sure they will actually. But if they do, it’ll just confirm what most of us think of them.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

I know. Funny as hell watching the free speech merchants lose it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139

You really do not need to watch it you know
    I’ve flicked over to SkySportsNews - one of the few places to avoid it, it would seem.
  • Options
    ZADOK
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

😀

That's not the point. People can respect others' choices and yes the coronation is about the King but it is also supposed to be about the nation(s) he represents. I'm not sure something so alien to an increasingly large section of the public is going to encourage civic identity.

As I say there isn't much they can do. Attitudes to religion have changed massively since 1953.
    I think you are right it would be a massive issue if the scenario ever arises where the next in line is skipped on religious grounds whilst otherwise being suitable. However the scenario is also very unlikely to happen in the next 60 years or so, by which time who knows what life will be like let alone religious attitudes or even the nation state.
This discussion has been closed.