Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The front pages after the Tory election drubbing – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    I went down to the Mall at about 5:30am to bag a decent spot to watch the parade. My hubby had a reserved bit of pavement with the Parliamentary contingent so shamelessly abandoned me.

The mood was generally good with everyone covering for each other if a loo break was needed. I’m always struck on these occasions how quickly the mood can turn nasty though. The crowd nearly lynched a foreign queue jumper who tried to push in.

I didn’t hang around after everyone had passed the Mall and if I’m honest I was rather disappointed by how short the procession was. Seeing the King in his carriage was awesome though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,455

Cyclefree said:

Penny Mordaunt is really very stunning. Beautifully dressed and holds herself well. She has presence. It was noticeable at the ceremonies after HMQ died but is really on display today.

She’s certainly carried it off with a lot more panache than Jacob Rees Mogg would have done!
    He would never have kept it up for so long
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314

IanB2 said:

Let's not completely forget the weekend's top story.....the final tally of +405 went off the end of the swingometer..

I’m not an LD and have no axe to grind here. But I do think more attention should have been paid to their remarkable performance in these elections.
    Absolutely nothing remarkable about it, though. Intensely unpopular givernment, CoL crisis, new council tax bills and power bills hitting home. And the Lib Dems have long been the home of the anti Tory vote in the South and West of England. They are brilliantly cynical in their campaigns, all nimby in local politics while espousing house building nationally.
    And they are the masters of deceit in bar charts.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Cyclefree said:

Penny Mordaunt is really very stunning. Beautifully dressed and holds herself well. She has presence. It was noticeable at the ceremonies after HMQ died but is really on display today.

We may have seen our next LOTO (and PM but one) coronated today?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Stereodog said:

I went down to the Mall at about 5:30am to bag a decent spot to watch the parade. My hubby had a reserved bit of pavement with the Parliamentary contingent so shamelessly abandoned me.

The mood was generally good with everyone covering for each other if a loo break was needed. I’m always struck on these occasions how quickly the mood can turn nasty though. The crowd nearly lynched a foreign queue jumper who tried to push in.

I didn’t hang around after everyone had passed the Mall and if I’m honest I was rather disappointed by how short the procession was. Seeing the King in his carriage was awesome though.

You didn’t hang around? There’s a slightly longer one on the way back!
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960

Cyclefree said:

She’s certainly carried it off with a lot more panache than Jacob Rees Mogg would have done!
    I had an fleeting image of Liz in the same role. Years of therapy ruined in one moment.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

IanB2 said:

Let's not completely forget the weekend's top story.....the final tally of +405 went off the end of the swingometer..

I’m not an LD and have no axe to grind here. But I do think more attention should have been paid to their remarkable performance in these elections.
    Absolutely nothing remarkable about it, though. Intensely unpopular givernment, CoL crisis, new council tax bills and power bills hitting home. And the Lib Dems have long been the home of the anti Tory vote in the South and West of England. They are brilliantly cynical in their campaigns, all nimby in local politics while espousing house building nationally.
    So you do admit they outperformed expectation. You’re just upset about the way they achieved it?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,939
    Cyclefree said:

What a pile of boring pious nonsense. Still, given the pisspoor weather in London today we can finally conclude that God is a catholic.

You really do not need to watch it you know
    I’ve flicked over to SkySportsNews - one of the few places to avoid it, it would seem.
    I've not seen a single second of it. I'm current drinking coffee in the rain, surveying a rain filled ditch.
    I get that it's a once in a lifetime show, historic pageant, blah, blah, blah, but it ain't nowt to do with me, I just pay for it 🤡
    Oh get over yourself. We have to pay for fire brigades and police forces and other organisations which according to countless recent reports are full of sexists, racists and homophobes and actual criminals.

We don't even get any nice music or horses to compensate.
    I'm still interested in how people cost it. There will be some additional cash cost from overtime and contractors etc, the vast majority will be opportunity cost.

Even then, that opportunity cost may be smaller than you think. The armed forces probably find some value in organising a tri-service, logistically complex event (including the flypast), the police similarly. The vast majority of costs are sunk.

And, of course, many of these costs would exist in a republic (inaugurations every 8 years).

We also get a difficult-to-measure benefit in the "living history", music, artefacts etc.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

There’s no way George is going to grow up believing in god.

It's an ancient ceremony?

Is everyone who has a wedding or a funeral devoutly religious? I think most people are able to separate their own personal faith (or lack of) with important ceremonys at the most important times in life.
    I got married at a hotel, no religion whatsoever involved. Why have a church wedding if you don't believe in it?
    100 agree with this. If you are making solemn vows to someone that you intend to keep for the rest of your life, why would you do it while faking part of it, the doing it in front of god? I cannot understand how people do this.
    They have quite nice buildings. Tradition. Expectations.

Not difficult to understand even if not for you.
    How do you make a solemn vow that includes something you don’t believe in?
    I understand the desire for the venues, I really do, but you are lying, or at best crossing your fingers, if you invoke a gold you don’t believe in when committing to your partner.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,830
    Stereodog said:

I think the long procession is on the way home.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

So you do admit they outperformed expectation. You’re just upset about the way they achieved it?
    I’m not upset at all, just countering the idea that they have outperformed expectations. It was absurdly obvious what would happen this week.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

GIN1138 said:

Is everyone who has a wedding or a funeral devoutly religious? I think most people are able to separate their own personal faith (or lack of) with important ceremonys at the most important times in life.
    I got married at a hotel, no religion whatsoever involved. Why have a church wedding if you don't believe in it?
    100 agree with this. If you are making solemn vows to someone that you intend to keep for the rest of your life, why would you do it while faking part of it, the doing it in front of god? I cannot understand how people do this.

I understand the desire for the venues, I really do, but you are lying, or at best crossing your fingers, if you invoke a gold you don’t believe in when committing to your partner.
    If you don't believe in god it doesnt matter if you lie to him/her/it. It is a triviality.

Now if you were unsure about god, and thought he might be the vengeful snowflake git that some organised religions portray him as, it might be different. But if you are confident he does not exist, or at least is not too fussed about what we do, then its not an issue to borrow his building for an hour or so.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

If you don't believe in god it doesnt matter if you lie to him/her/it. It is a triviality.

Now if you were unsure about god, and thought he might be the vengeful snowflake git that some organised religions portray him as, it might be different. But if you are confident he does not exist, or at least is not too fussed about what we do, then its not an issue to borrow his building for an hour or so.
    I believe strongly that the vow should be made honestly. I guess others don’t.
This discussion has been closed.