Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The support of Tory MPs – Truss’s biggest challenge – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Weathers pissing on the chips!
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,853
    IshmaelZ said:

There is pretty much no difference between Labour’s and Truss’s energy policy, save that Labour wanted a windfall tax for optics, and are rather more interested in finding conservation measures.

Both effectively want to put it on the never-never, which btw, is the right thing to do.

In the sprit of PB debate, I disagree with you. In fact you are totally wrong.

Energy firms take out government-backed loans to freeze bills, the loans would have to be repaid over 10 to 20 years. And you are calling it a freeze not a loan?

The Lib Dems are calling it a loan, to be paid back by working people, not a freeze.

Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey called for a "genuine freeze" of energy bills, saying it is "not right" that families and pensioners should be paying back a loan.
    He told BBC Breakfast on Tuesday: "What we're hearing from Downing Street, what you were referring to, isn't a freeze. It's a loan.
    "What they're saying is that families and pensioners should be paying this back for years to come. That's just not right.
    "We should be asking the oil and gas companies who are making tens of billions of pounds in profit they never expected to make because Putin invaded Ukraine, we should be asking them to pay some of that back so that we can afford to freeze people's bills without actually having the loan system that it's rumoured that Liz Truss wants."
    Asked if that is what he is expecting Ms Truss to introduce as leader, he said: "We just don't know, and this is my whole point. She's had weeks to tell us during the leadership election for the Tory party. And she didn't spell it out.
    "We put forward our alternative, our constructive alternative, which would be a genuine freeze on people's bills paid for by a one-off tax on the oil and gas companies who are making these super profits. That seems a fair approach."
    There are two camps right now with different expectations of Liz’s policy.

You are in a different camp to me.
    Then join me, and together we can rule the PB universe…

I don’t understand PB today, you should all be able to see the acute difference in the politics of a freeze, to protect working peoples money, and a loan to protect the energy industries windfall profits, using working peoples money.

By going with the energy industry scheme to freeze prices at current levels, Liz is merely plugging the gap between wholesale costs and what consumers pay - Truss is actually bailing out the Energy industry, protecting them from contributing their windfall, by loaning them the working peoples money.
    And the difference between a plan that weights assistance more heavily to lower energy users and poorer homes whilst energy wasters and the more wealthy pay a bit more
    Sorry, which is that?
    The one where the £400 discount remains applied to all bills not cancelled as labour proposed.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Wow stair rods there it sounds like.
  • I see Truss has sorted the drought out already.
    If I was her I'd ask them to take a turn around the Park and come back when the rain has stopped.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928
    edited September 2022

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

So Truss will put Coffey in charge of the anti-obesity campaign?

Fat shaming is just not on
    Could a smoker ever be made health secretary nowadays?
    Still fat shaming and of a female
    Would you put a vegetarian like me in charge of DEFRA?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Well, she got the weather for it! ☔️
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,316
    I can’t bear to watch this just in case she is as bad as yesterday, and then I know we are staring at 2 years of her, followed by Keir bloody Starmer
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842
    Scott_xP said:

It's raining & Truss is stuck in traffic, surely the most British handover of power ever

Someone needs to complain she doesn't have planning permission for that podium.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

It seems the only response from Labour spokespersons today has been a windfall tax will pay

Will Labour or indeed anyone confirm just how much a windfall tax will raise as I believe it is around £8 billion at most and a one off

I’ll be straight with you Big G.

If it only costs £29B to cover the October and January jumps and the entire £29B comes from windfall tax, Ed Davey is absolutely right, it’s a freeze not Liz Truss loan.

More likely in my opinion, more than £29B needs to be poured into this, but where you and Truss are wrong, it's a matter of fairness. People are struggling at the moment. These companies have made profit that they never expected to make and therefore that redistribution is really important as part of the package. It is "unfair" for working-class people to bear the brunt of any energy company loan scheme that is being brought in by Liz Truss's incoming government.

That is where Truss and the Tory’s have got this spectacularly wrong.
    The 29 billion does not come from the windfall tax

With respect that is fake news
    With respect, It is "unfair" for working-class people to bear the brunt of any energy company loan scheme that is being brought in by Liz Truss's incoming government - redistribution is really important as part of the package, otherwise you have to admit Truss and the Tory’s have got this spectacularly wrong, don’t you?
  • Liz 'Why does it always rain on me?' Truss

"Is it because I was a republican when I was 17"?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Liz Truss’s podium removed as rain pours down just moments before her first PM speech. Metaphor alert. 🤦‍♂️ https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1567179074489008130/photo/1
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    It's belting down with rain in Downing Street. You would have thought somebody would be keeping an eye on weather reports. Taking further account of the fog at Aberdeen airport and recalling Kate McCann's collapse at the leadership debate, I'm getting the strong impression that Liz Truss attracts stuff.

It will probably hail next, with really big hailstones :)

Where TF is she, BTW?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

There is pretty much no difference between Labour’s and Truss’s energy policy, save that Labour wanted a windfall tax for optics, and are rather more interested in finding conservation measures.

Both effectively want to put it on the never-never, which btw, is the right thing to do.

Energy firms take out government-backed loans to freeze bills, the loans would have to be repaid over 10 to 20 years. And you are calling it a freeze not a loan?

The Lib Dems are calling it a loan, to be paid back by working people, not a freeze.

Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey called for a "genuine freeze" of energy bills, saying it is "not right" that families and pensioners should be paying back a loan.
    He told BBC Breakfast on Tuesday: "What we're hearing from Downing Street, what you were referring to, isn't a freeze. It's a loan.
    "What they're saying is that families and pensioners should be paying this back for years to come. That's just not right.
    "We should be asking the oil and gas companies who are making tens of billions of pounds in profit they never expected to make because Putin invaded Ukraine, we should be asking them to pay some of that back so that we can afford to freeze people's bills without actually having the loan system that it's rumoured that Liz Truss wants."
    Asked if that is what he is expecting Ms Truss to introduce as leader, he said: "We just don't know, and this is my whole point. She's had weeks to tell us during the leadership election for the Tory party. And she didn't spell it out.
    "We put forward our alternative, our constructive alternative, which would be a genuine freeze on people's bills paid for by a one-off tax on the oil and gas companies who are making these super profits. That seems a fair approach."

I don’t understand PB today, you should all be able to see the acute difference in the politics of a freeze, to protect working peoples money, and a loan to protect the energy industries windfall profits, using working peoples money.

By going with the energy industry scheme to freeze prices at current levels, Liz is merely plugging the gap between wholesale costs and what consumers pay - Truss is actually bailing out the Energy industry, protecting them from contributing their windfall, by loaning them the working peoples money.
    And the difference between a plan that weights assistance more heavily to lower energy users and poorer homes whilst energy wasters and the more wealthy pay a bit more
    Sorry, which is that?
    The one where the £400 discount remains applied to all bills not cancelled as labour proposed.
    But that cancels out doesn't it because Truss's cap is 400 and a bit higher?
    What's with the retro sixties Quant umbrellas that only just cover your ears. Hopeless. Typical Tories can't even get the brollies right.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,633
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

What's the name of the nifty mini-Concorde lookalike plane that Truss and Johnson have been using today?

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/new-jets-to-enhance-uks-international-presence/

Falcon.

Made by Marcel Dassault (or rather his firm).

EU-tech.
    The French would be very upset for you to say that. French national champions and all that.
    Wasn't sure if it was 100% Francais, as I'd have to check more carefully - there have been so many mergers.
    It's a long running, slowly evolved business jet line. Heritage back to the 1960s...

When the British plane industry was nationalised, it was forbidden to enter the business jet market. Because bad optics. Ironically, Concorde was the largest business jet ever built....
  • It was always sunny under Boris...bring him back!!
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

It's raining & Truss is stuck in traffic, surely the most British handover of power ever

Someone needs to complain she doesn't have planning permission for that podium.
    It's just been removed...

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

There was that minister of transport who couldn't drive. under Wilson?

Sky pundits soooo running out of things to say. Rigby opining that giving speeches in the pouring rain is not Liz's style.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Dont do a speech in the rain like that US president who caught a chill then died a month later.
  • So we're back to the Tory faithful saying how good the Tories are that latest waver was a whole day
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

It is now properly raining.

Due to stop in five minutes with a break long enough for a speech
    And so it does
    I see the BBC talking heads are unable to recognise Notting Hill..... or the bridges on the Thames
    If they hadn't had such a ludicrously long leadership election they'd have had the election wrapped up during the glorious days in August.
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry, which is that?
    Well no. The proposed truss cap was ca 2500, thats average bills so lower end might be say 1250 p.a.
    Labour feeeze 1971, half that for lower end 985.
    Take 400 off the truss bill 850, 145 a year better off, but that reduces and reverses as you go further up towards and beyond average use.
    It encourages conservation and protects the lower end more
  • IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sky pundits soooo running out of things to say. Rigby opining that giving speeches in the pouring rain is not Liz's style.
    President William Henry Harrison says hello.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,287
    Chelsea Embankment?
  • It seems the only response from Labour spokespersons today has been a windfall tax will pay

Will Labour or indeed anyone confirm just how much a windfall tax will raise as I believe it is around £8 billion at most and a one off

I’ll be straight with you Big G.

If it only costs £29B to cover the October and January jumps and the entire £29B comes from windfall tax, Ed Davey is absolutely right, it’s a freeze not Liz Truss loan.

More likely in my opinion, more than £29B needs to be poured into this, but where you and Truss are wrong, it's a matter of fairness. People are struggling at the moment. These companies have made profit that they never expected to make and therefore that redistribution is really important as part of the package. It is "unfair" for working-class people to bear the brunt of any energy company loan scheme that is being brought in by Liz Truss's incoming government.

That is where Truss and the Tory’s have got this spectacularly wrong.
    The 29 billion does not come from the windfall tax

With respect that is fake news
    With respect, It is "unfair" for working-class people to bear the brunt of any energy company loan scheme that is being brought in by Liz Truss's incoming government - redistribution is really important as part of the package, otherwise you have to admit Truss and the Tory’s have got this spectacularly wrong, don’t you?
    I am challenging the impression that the windfall tax will raise more than £8 billion one off

In the context of labour's offer it will not
    Tory govt: We need millions to make a tv studio for super important announcements like in the West Wing
    Also Tory govt: Let's do speeches in the rain
    https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1567177944476389377
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:
    Is that Therese Coffey?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    Truss now passing the giant new mega-sewer…
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,287
    A caller on Five Live is relating how the cost of living crisis has forced him to cancel his Sky Sports subscription.
    edited September 2022
    I thought Mayor of London and noted observer of the history and descent into madness of AH, the one and only Ken Livingstone, couldn't drive?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,186

It seems the only response from Labour spokespersons today has been a windfall tax will pay

Big G back on message. For how long?

No wonder your compadres down Llandudno Conservative Club call you “Bun-G”.
    I am asking genuine questions, and by the way I remain a non member of the party and have never been in any conservative club at anytime anywhere

Now please answer the question
    Conservative clubs are packed with non-Tories. They can be quite nice (although it varies a fair bit) and tend to be good value. I was a member of one at one time.

I think the manager of the Honiton one publicly endorsed the Lib Dems at the by-election. The Lib Dems had some fun with it but, in fact, that's not at all unusual and he may well not have been a Tory even when he took the job.
    I do not mean to give a negative impression on con clubs, just I have not been in one
    You've never been in a Conservative Club? I'm amazed. I can imagine some hipster from London saying this, but Con Clubs are a big of middle Britain. Not necessarily my cup of tea, being in the market for neither snooker nor low-level live entertainment, but I'll still end up in one every few years when someone hosts a party there or some such. Interestingly they still smell the same as they did when my parents used to drink in the local Con club in the 80s.

A friend's daughter was astonished when she realised at 16 that there was a link between the Conservative Party and Conservative Clubs. She just sort of assumed it was what you jooned when you were too old for guides or scouts.
    Bloody Londoners. Look what Devon and the Central Belt are putting up with.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
    Oooh naughty, Huw. No one is supposed to know where the headquarters of MI5 is.
  • Lectern in place
    edited September 2022

So we're back to the Tory faithful saying how good the Tories are that latest waver was a whole day

Nah, a balanced look at the proposals on offer or proposed
    Hint - Starmers isnt good

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry, which is that?
    Well no. The proposed truss cap was ca 2500, thats average bills so lower end might be say 1250 p.a.
    Labour feeeze 1971, half that for lower end 985.
    Take 400 off the truss bill 850, 145 a year better off, but that reduces and reverses as you go further up towards and beyond average use.
    It encourages conservation and protects the lower end more
    Ah thanks
    This thread has been thrown out in disgrace!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,865

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

First names of the last four finance ministers—
    France: Bruno, Michel, Pierre, François
    Germany: Christian, Olaf, Peter, Wolfgang
    Italy: Daniele, Roberto, Giovanni, Pier Carlo
    Britain: Kwasi, Nadhim, Rishi, Sajid

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1566820707912368128

Whose finances are in best shape is perhaps the question to ask!
    Debt as % GDP:

Italy: 151
    France: 113
    UK: 96
    Germany: 69
    Is that the measure that was UK under 40% in 2007 - before years of Austerity (for some) to bring it down! 🫣

Where would US be on that current list, if I have been paying attention, PBs St Bart the Pirate will comment here that 140% is actually no problem at all, only beyond that it goes squizzy.
    137%

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp?continent=america

So is St Bart the pirate actually right on this one, this is a pointless measure to use for economic health and strength? The Tory austerity years, the lasting impact of them in income divides, was not actually necessary?
    ????????

I have NEVER said that. In fact I've always said the exact opposite.

There is no specific debt to GDP number that "matters" but what matters far more is an overall look at the deficit, whether debt to GDP is going up or down, and where you are in the economic cycle.
    You only know where you were in the "economic cycle" since it takes shape in retrospect.
    Not true, a recession is a matter of record determined at the time, not in hindsight. Two consecutive quarters of negative growth. On average a recession occurs about once every eight to twelve years or so.

You can and do know how many years you are since the last recession as a matter of fact at the time. So eg in 2006/07 we were 15/16 years from the last recession and overdue a new one which then occurred the following year.
    You know the past - all of the GDP fluctuations (eg when the last recession was) going back to when records began - but you don't know the equivalent for the future.

Also the fluctuations aren't of a fixed shape or size. Eg recessions are sometimes mild, sometimes severe, sometimes long, sometimes short, and they don't come along at predictable intervals like clockwork. Ditto with growth spurts.

Hence the notion that at a point in time you can with any precision whatsoever "know where you are in the economic cycle" is a bit of a nonsense.
    You can't know exactly where you are in the cycle as in T-x days until next recession, but you absolutely can know how long since last one and be prepared for the next exogenous shock as and when it inevitably happens.

PPPPPP: Piss Poor Preparation leads to Piss Poor Performance.
    There's no such thing as THE economic cycle, let alone one you can know in advance. What there are are fluctuations in GDP. Those in the past you know. Those in the future you don't. Sense you're being hampered in this conversation by a need to regurgitate the long discredited Tory Story on Gordon Brown.
  • Ah rain's stopped it seems
  • Cookie said:

I am asking genuine questions, and by the way I remain a non member of the party and have never been in any conservative club at anytime anywhere

Conservative clubs are packed with non-Tories. They can be quite nice (although it varies a fair bit) and tend to be good value. I was a member of one at one time.

I think the manager of the Honiton one publicly endorsed the Lib Dems at the by-election. The Lib Dems had some fun with it but, in fact, that's not at all unusual and he may well not have been a Tory even when he took the job.
    I do not mean to give a negative impression on con clubs, just I have not been in one
    You've never been in a Conservative Club? I'm amazed. I can imagine some hipster from London saying this, but Con Clubs are a big of middle Britain. Not necessarily my cup of tea, being in the market for neither snooker nor low-level live entertainment, but I'll still end up in one every few years when someone hosts a party there or some such. Interestingly they still smell the same as they did when my parents used to drink in the local Con club in the 80s.

A friend's daughter was astonished when she realised at 16 that there was a link between the Conservative Party and Conservative Clubs. She just sort of assumed it was what you jooned when you were too old for guides or scouts.
    Just as a point of interest since I was 16 I have only lived in Scotland and Wales so no I have not been in a conservative club
    TOPPING said:

Oooh naughty, Huw. No one is supposed to know where the headquarters of MI5 is.

Except, famously, cab drivers.

A Russian relative worked at a secret building in St Petersburg belonging to the Russian Navy, during the Cold War. Not allowed to be on maps etc.

On one occasion the tram driver belted out, "Stop for Building No. {insert number here}"

Everyone froze. For about a minute. Then all the Naval officers, GRU etc got off, and went to work....
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Thread drenched and ditched
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

So we're back to the Tory faithful saying how good the Tories are that latest waver was a whole day

Nah, a balanced look at the proposals on offer or proposed
    Hint - Starmers isnt good
    So the two offers are not the same then?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,591
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

There was the Japanese cyber security minister for the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46222026
    "Since I was 25 years old and independent I have instructed my staff and secretaries. I have never used a computer in my life,"...
  • kle4 said:

Dont do a speech in the rain like that US president who caught a chill then died a month later.

Are we totally sure that a senior politician, one with time on his hands, isn't doing the old "squirting a garden hose from behind a tree" trick?
  • NEW THREAD

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

A caller on Five Live is relating how the cost of living crisis has forced him to cancel his Sky Sports subscription.

Was a bit weird. Fake, or real?

If not fake, such entitlement will be a big problem for the government. Furlough has fried everyone's brains.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    What a weird route they’re taking!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842
    Andy_JS said:

"Gary from Derbyshire" doing a very polite and well spoken entry for "Britain's most selfish git."

Top rate tax payer. Needs far more support than those on benefits. Because you spend to your income.

Cookie said:

Just as a point of interest since I was 16 I have only lived in Scotland and Wales so no I have not been in a conservative club
    Do they not have them in Scotland or Wales? I didn't know that.
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Do they not have them in Scotland or Wales? I didn't know that.
    A quick Google reveals there's one in Llandudno?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,726
    edited September 2022
    Cookie said:

I won't join the local Con Club but my friend, secretary of the local Labour party, has! I've told him he has to sing the Red Flag three times after each visit!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100
    edited September 2022

ydoethur said:

Well, that comes as a complete surprise:

John Blackwood, Chief Executive of the Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL), responds to the rent freeze announcement

" I have been inundated by landlords saying they will be removing their vacant properties from the rental market, and I don’t blame them.”

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1567147873434755072

So basically this is a fabulous policy for existing tenants and leaves the rest more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript?

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.
    So, a central control policy that has the same effects that every other rent control policy has had. Everywhere in the world.

I'd be interested to see what the actual policy is. Of course LLs can't move until they know where they stand.

There's some as per normal self-serving gormless wibble from a Green Party MSP:

With soaring inflation, skyrocketing bills and increasing rents, these are desperate times for tenants all across Scotland.”
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-announces-rent-freeze-to-help-tackle-cost-of-living-crisis-3832580

In fact Scottish Government published data show that rents in Scotland to February 2022 increased by 2.6% over 12 months, that is a real terms *cut* of 3.3%. They even provided a graph to help the Greens to understand it.
    https://www.gov.scot/publications/scottish-housing-market-review-q1-2022/pages/4/

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,100

Andy_JS said:

Was a bit weird. Fake, or real?

If not fake, such entitlement will be a big problem for the government. Furlough has fried everyone's brains.
    Why isn't that on Sky News? :smile:
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Well, that comes as a complete surprise:

John Blackwood, Chief Executive of the Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL), responds to the rent freeze announcement

" I have been inundated by landlords saying they will be removing their vacant properties from the rental market, and I don’t blame them.”

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1567147873434755072

So basically this is a fabulous policy for existing tenants and leaves the rest more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript?

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.
    So, a central control policy that has the same effects that every other rent control policy has had. Everywhere in the world.

I'd be interested to see what the actual policy is. Of course LLs can't move until they know where they stand.

There's some as per normal self-serving gormless wibble from a Green Party MSP:

With soaring inflation, skyrocketing bills and increasing rents, these are desperate times for tenants all across Scotland.”
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-announces-rent-freeze-to-help-tackle-cost-of-living-crisis-3832580

In fact Scottish Government published data show that rents in Scotland to February 2022 increased by 2.6%, that is a real terms *cut* of 3.3%. They even provided a graph to help the Greens to understand it.
    https://www.gov.scot/publications/scottish-housing-market-review-q1-2022/pages/4/

Unless landlords are insane, they won’t be putting up rents at inflation. Pushing all your tenants out is simply bad business.

The real problem comes, I think, with buildings with communal provision of heating/water. When those bills skyrocket….
This discussion has been closed.