Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The support of Tory MPs – Truss’s biggest challenge – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:
    Oh god. The dear old queen looks terrible

A well placed friend told me to expect London Bridge soon, just the other day
    Hardly the rashest of predictions for an elderly 96 year old lady, recently bereaved, and clearly in poor health. And also not the first such prediction. @Foxy seems likely to be on the money - spinal issues hence back ache leading to reduced mobility.
    The actuarial risk of death within the next year is over 25% at age 96, almost 27% at age 97, and over 28% at 98.

So, as you say, hardly a big call. Indeed, whilst it's possible the Queen could see one more of these handovers, it's more likely than not that Liz is Liz's last PM.
    I'd class the Queen as going from good health (for her age) to moderate health over the last year. Nothing to indicate she is in 'poor' health.

So, in the middle of the actuarial range.

A big factor is that, once an elderly person starts going into hospital more frequently with more complex requirements, the non zero chance of medical or care errors at each visit multiply, and life shortening mistakes become more likely (I'd guess 1 in 3 deaths have such factors at play). You'd suspect the Queen is far less likely than most to suffer such a fate, so her actuarial chances are better than average.
    But the reason elderly people die as a result of complications isn't primarily because care is shoddy or errors slip in as people get older. They are simply more vulnerable.

So, whilst I agree she'll get high quality care, the risk of a 90-something year old dying in surgery with no errors being made and the best doctors money can buy is high.
    They also die as a result of complications because (HMQ aside) the NHS quite often sees old people as no real priority. If they die no one will be coming after the hospital with a lawsuit. Old people die and hence the NHS is quite good at not providing the right care for them.
    Do you think other healthcare systems around the world arrive at very different outcomes in terms of actuarial risk of death at that stage?

At 70, your risk of dying in the next year is little more than 1%. At 80, it's about 4%. At 90, it's getting on for 15%. At 100, it's over 40%.

The exponential rise is true everywhere and it really isn't credible that it is driven by standard of care and attitudes to the elderly in a particular place. Your body just packs up at that stage and there is little anyone can do but make you more comfortable. A high standard of care can shave a bit off your risk, but it's at the margins and the exponential nature of the rise has to be driven by nature almost entirely.
    Yes. Shapes of bell curves is unilluminating though when you are looking at individual cases. Absent a hotline to her personal physician, every factor you can think of is in her favour: safety from accidental falls, quality of life (surgeons often decline to operate on post 90s if they think they are having a shit time anyway), longevity of mum (dad irrelevant as tobacco involved), motivation to live, mental acuity, quality of care to be expected if needed. All going her way.

Medical friends of mine said in 2011 that the NHS would have let Prince Philip croak if he had been anyone else. So there's an extra 9 years royalness gets you.
    She's had her nine years above the typical, plus VAT.

I don't doubt people can buy a few years if they have a few quid. But the fact is you hit a rising wall of exponentially increased risk related to biology - which is the same for the Queen as the rest of us - and the stats worldwide suggest that utterly overwhelms the (important) marginal benefits of quality care as you get into super old age.
    That is a cast iron argument against her making 110...
    The exponential rise in risk of death in your late 80s and 90s... that's the brick wall of the biology we all share.

The Queen is well placed to get great care, but not uniquely so, and the brick wall is still there. Are merchant bankers massively well represented in supercentenarians? I rather doubt it - at that stage it's essentially decent genetics, sensible lifestyle earlier on, and VAST amounts of luck.
    Supercentenarians = 110+, dealt with in the post you are replying to. But *in your 90s* - it is impossible to get stats, but we do know there is a 10 year spread in LE between rich and poor postcodes and there is no reason to think this doesn't reflect gains across all age groups. If you need surgery after 90 the biggest factor in your survival is probably whether the surgeon thinks it's worth the bother, given your qol. Add the fact that she is a petite, thin non smoker whose mother lived to 102. Her chances of making 100 are 25%, and given all those factors she is a distinctly value bet at 4/1 if anyone had the bad taste to make a market.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

Scott_xP said:

Understand the current plan is for Nadhim Zahawi to take on the equalities brief as well as running the Cabinet Office (previously it was Liz Truss in conjunction with being foreign secretary).

But a bit unclear whether he'll be minister for women as well...

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1567156190806679553

He could transition into the role perhaps.
    THat would only skirt the real issue.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

That YouGov poll is almost a week old. Given we are soon to get an energy price cap announcement that makes it almost entirely meaningless.

Ms Truss may not get much of a boost from that. People expect help. If she provides it then they may view that as her doing the job she is paid for rather than doing something exceptional. If the package is sub-par or badly implemented then she will be off to a bad start.
    Yep. People dont do gratitude when they expect it.
  • Options
    Zahawi is shaping up to be one of the key winners. Along with Kwarteng and Coffey.

Braverman and Cleverly are ballast.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Scott_xP said:

Yield on UK 10-year gilts (sovereign bonds) rise to over 3% and sterling starts slipping again as leaks indicate Truss plans £100bn intervention in energy markets, requiring shed load more borrowing.
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1567156929595588608

US dollar buys 1.13 euros
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Liz may not make her speech if it’s raining when she arrives at Downing Street, apparently. She’ll wait til it clears up.

Come on Liz, if you want to give a rallying cry for Brits to show grit and determination through the winter then you shouldn’t let a bit of rain stop you!

BBC saying she will deliver it from inside no 10 at 4.40pm if it is raining
    A British PM who only comes out when it is sunny; at least we won’t be seeing so much of her, then.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

That is a disastrous poll for Truss!

She’s been PM for literally 10 minutes!

Shall we at least wait until she appoints a Cabinet, takes PMQs, and makes a statement on energy bills, before dismissing her out of hand?
    Nope. She is utterly shit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2007/jun/30/uk.polls

Brown bounce 7 points in polling conducted 27th/28th after he took over on the 27th just as a benchmark
    The Truss Plunge
    Not to be confused with the Truss plunger, one of her ‘special’ implements.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,927

Zahawi is shaping up to be one of the key winners.

That's a shame
  • Options
    The Queen needs to keep going for another one year and nine months to become the longest serving monarch of a sovereign state in history.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's a shame
    Zahawi was an enormous disappointment to me at education. He floundered, like all the others with the possible exception of Justine Greening.

But perhaps, just perhaps, he had noticed what happened to people who buggered about with those vindictive and rather useless tossers at the DfE and decided to play it cool for career reasons.

That's what we're left hoping for, anyway.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,120
    TOPPING said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@carnyx is closest

giotto?
    Nope

It’s really quite a famous painting. I’m a little surprised the pb arts brains trust can’t nail it

It’s very relevant to the debate we’re having about The Size of The Queen
    It’s a massacio but relies a huge amount on Brunelleschi. Possibly a joint effort we were taught.
    Exactly. Brunelleschi and Alberti paved the way.

This is a classic example, very sorry to say but there it is, of @Leon's insecurity and competitiveness.

Some of us (in the mists of time) studied all this and, as this episode has demonstrated, have forgotten more than @Leon knows but he finds it amusing to hold a PB quiz to try to show his intelligence.

Sorry @Leon - don't mean this to be mean but really, you don't have to set PB quizzes on renaissance painting for us to love you.
    Ahahahah
  • Options
    There is pretty much no difference between Labour’s and Truss’s energy policy, save that Labour wanted a windfall tax for optics, and are rather more interested in finding conservation measures.

Both effectively want to put it on the never-never, which btw, is the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Liz Truss Rumoured to be Giving Brown’s Top Civil Servant Control Over Many SpAds

https://order-order.com/2022/09/06/liz-truss-rumoured-to-be-giving-browns-top-civil-servant-control-over-many-spads https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1567157908256837636/photo/1

Some consternation about this for obvious reasons. No official confirmation has been given, more obfuscation.
  • Options

The Queen needs to keep going for another one year and nine months to become the longest serving monarch of a sovereign state in history.

Even @TSE should get behind that. Not only does it keep his least favourite royal away from the throne, but she'd be beating a Frenchman.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's a shame
    Must be confident about that little matter of offshoring yougov gains, then. i wouldn't be.
  • Options
    I’m not an expert in civil service organisation but it does strike me that Boris seemed to run an absolute shambles.

I’m glad Simon Case seems to be on his way out.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss Rumoured to be Giving Brown’s Top Civil Servant Control Over Many SpAds

https://order-order.com/2022/09/06/liz-truss-rumoured-to-be-giving-browns-top-civil-servant-control-over-many-spads https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1567157908256837636/photo/1

Some consternation about this for obvious reasons. No official confirmation has been given, more obfuscation.

That's not Brown's 'top civil servant.' It's somebody who was a moderately senior civil servant under Brown.

I was appalled to think O'Donnell might be making a comeback, so am relieved he's not.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned the Foundry in Old Street earlier on.

My own limited days of bohemia (nothing compared with Leon’s) included a fair amount of time there.

Sadly all over now, what with wife and kids. Sigh.
  • Options

I’m not an expert in civil service organisation but it does strike me that Boris seemed to run an absolute shambles.

I’m glad Simon Case seems to be on his way out.

Think about the lost punning opportunities though. I can't say any more the Civil Service boss is a Head, Case.
  • Options
    Liz Truss’s proposed energy price freeze for UK households risks running out of control, topping the £197 billion estimated in leaked government documents https://trib.al/SGBuzZs
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,918

Also she will be able to see off another PM if she makes it that long.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    IanB2 said:

Driver said:

IanB2 said:

Driver said:

Scott_xP said:
    Thats BS. Boris wasn't brought down by Brexit at all.
    And nor was Cameron, who wasn't "brought down" at all...
    He brought himself down through hubris, which is the more common route than the clown bringing himself down through dishonesty.
    Well, he quit when under no pressure at all.
    But he had no choice, really. Look at how being tainted as a remainer played out for Mrs M. The remarkable thing is how Truss has been so keenly welcomed by the head banging brigade.
    Sure he did. There was no pressure on him at all to quit and no expectation that he would.

He was probably the person in the best position to unite the EEA Leavers with the accepting Remainers and come up with a form of Brexit that would have satisfied all but the few headbangers on each side who could and should have been marginalised.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Hopefully she'll last long enough to see Johnson out of Parliament.

If the only former PM to speak in parliament is Theresa May, that would be bearable.

(Incidentally, six former PMs is unprecedented, but am I also right in thinking 2013 onward is the first time ever no former PM has been a member of the Lords?)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Indeed - the party weren't unified but were broadly content.

But Noah also thought the objections to the Rwanda scheme was simply about ooh nasty Africa, and never mind issues of law or effectiveness.

I imagine he and his writers dont spend much research time on international issues- the audience wont care. We are the same.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    per Guido: Nick Joicey is the husband of none other than the Shadow Chancellor, Rachel Reeves.
  • Options
    Liz Truss’ Cabinet is not expected to include any white men in the great offices of state - with Kwasi Kwarteng as Chancellor, Suella Braverman as Home Secretary and James Cleverly as Foreign Secretary.

But not everyone is happy about this. “There are a lot of talented men in the 2019 intake - white straight males that never get a sniff at anything,” one MP tells me.

https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/status/1567161207651504129

She's not even in the door yet, and it sounds like her honeymoon is over...
  • Options

That wiki page does feel fudged to get her the record , I'm sure it uses not to separate the 'non-sovereign' ones
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss’s proposed energy price freeze for UK households risks running out of control, topping the £197 billion estimated in leaked government documents https://trib.al/SGBuzZs

The fact it suggests we could avoid recession, inflation would be at peak now and poss back to 2% within a year then its worth it.
    Or we could let a few hundred thousand freeze to death or starve
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Hardly the rashest of predictions for an elderly 96 year old lady, recently bereaved, and clearly in poor health. And also not the first such prediction. @Foxy seems likely to be on the money - spinal issues hence back ache leading to reduced mobility.
    The actuarial risk of death within the next year is over 25% at age 96, almost 27% at age 97, and over 28% at 98.

So, as you say, hardly a big call. Indeed, whilst it's possible the Queen could see one more of these handovers, it's more likely than not that Liz is Liz's last PM.
    I'd class the Queen as going from good health (for her age) to moderate health over the last year. Nothing to indicate she is in 'poor' health.

A big factor is that, once an elderly person starts going into hospital more frequently with more complex requirements, the non zero chance of medical or care errors at each visit multiply, and life shortening mistakes become more likely (I'd guess 1 in 3 deaths have such factors at play). You'd suspect the Queen is far less likely than most to suffer such a fate, so her actuarial chances are better than average.
    But the reason elderly people die as a result of complications isn't primarily because care is shoddy or errors slip in as people get older. They are simply more vulnerable.

So, whilst I agree she'll get high quality care, the risk of a 90-something year old dying in surgery with no errors being made and the best doctors money can buy is high.
    They also die as a result of complications because (HMQ aside) the NHS quite often sees old people as no real priority. If they die no one will be coming after the hospital with a lawsuit. Old people die and hence the NHS is quite good at not providing the right care for them.
    Do you think other healthcare systems around the world arrive at very different outcomes in terms of actuarial risk of death at that stage?

At 70, your risk of dying in the next year is little more than 1%. At 80, it's about 4%. At 90, it's getting on for 15%. At 100, it's over 40%.

The exponential rise is true everywhere and it really isn't credible that it is driven by standard of care and attitudes to the elderly in a particular place. Your body just packs up at that stage and there is little anyone can do but make you more comfortable. A high standard of care can shave a bit off your risk, but it's at the margins and the exponential nature of the rise has to be driven by nature almost entirely.
    Yes. Shapes of bell curves is unilluminating though when you are looking at individual cases. Absent a hotline to her personal physician, every factor you can think of is in her favour: safety from accidental falls, quality of life (surgeons often decline to operate on post 90s if they think they are having a shit time anyway), longevity of mum (dad irrelevant as tobacco involved), motivation to live, mental acuity, quality of care to be expected if needed. All going her way.

Medical friends of mine said in 2011 that the NHS would have let Prince Philip croak if he had been anyone else. So there's an extra 9 years royalness gets you.

I don't doubt people can buy a few years if they have a few quid. But the fact is you hit a rising wall of exponentially increased risk related to biology - which is the same for the Queen as the rest of us - and the stats worldwide suggest that utterly overwhelms the (important) marginal benefits of quality care as you get into super old age.
    The exponential rise in risk of death in your late 80s and 90s... that's the brick wall of the biology we all share.

The Queen is well placed to get great care, but not uniquely so, and the brick wall is still there. Are merchant bankers massively well represented in supercentenarians? I rather doubt it - at that stage it's essentially decent genetics, sensible lifestyle earlier on, and VAST amounts of luck.
    Supercentenarians = 110+, dealt with in the post you are replying to. But *in your 90s* - it is impossible to get stats, but we do know there is a 10 year spread in LE between rich and poor postcodes and there is no reason to think this doesn't reflect gains across all age groups. If you need surgery after 90 the biggest factor in your survival is probably whether the surgeon thinks it's worth the bother, given your qol. Add the fact that she is a petite, thin non smoker whose mother lived to 102. Her chances of making 100 are 25%, and given all those factors she is a distinctly value bet at 4/1 if anyone had the bad taste to make a market.
    She might live that long; could she reign that long? Even now she is having to do less, and sure, it's not necessary for the monarch to be out and about, but an aging monarch presiding over increasingly zombified parliaments is not great optics.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Doesn't like handouts......
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

But Noah also thought the objections to the Rwanda scheme was simply about ooh nasty Africa, and never mind issues of law or effectiveness.

I imagine he and his writers dont spend much research time on international issues- the audience wont care. We are the same.
    I find Trevor Noah achingly unfunny.
    I’ve no how idea how he go that job, though I presume the ratings hold up.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    edited September 2022

boulay said:

Possibly.

I am very glad to see the end of Johnson.
    I couldn’t bear the name thought of him acting as father of the nation in the event of HM’s death.

I am implacably opposed to Liz Truss, but she simply doesn’t provoke the same feelings of anger, shame, frustration, and even nausea.
    Give it time.
  • Options
    Liz landing in 5 minutes. Presumably we’ll then get the breathless BBC commentary as the motorcade sweeps down the A40.
  • Options
    Ok this is a genuinely good one

What is the bizarre connection between this greasy spoon in west london and Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine

If you know the backstory you’ll get it straight away. If you don’t you will need clues

Nicht der google!
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss’ Cabinet is not expected to include any white men in the great offices of state - with Kwasi Kwarteng as Chancellor, Suella Braverman as Home Secretary and James Cleverly as Foreign Secretary.

But not everyone is happy about this. “There are a lot of talented men in the 2019 intake - white straight males that never get a sniff at anything,” one MP tells me.

It doesn't even say that the "one MP" doing the shit-stirring is even a Tory MP...!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

That wiki page does feel fudged to get her the record , I'm sure it uses not to separate the 'non-sovereign' ones
    Off to the tower with you.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,296
    Scott_xP said:

I don't have a huge objection to her fighting this fight.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Scott_xP said:

It doesn't even say that the "one MP" doing the shit-stirring is even a Tory MP...!
    I think it's a safe bet nobody else would regard that lot as 'talented.'
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Have you seen the straight white males in the Tory Party?

It’s like that Stanley Spencer painting about corpses rising from their graves in Cookham.
  • Options
  • Options
    148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

She might live that long; could she reign that long? Even now she is having to do less, and sure, it's not necessary for the monarch to be out and about, but an aging monarch presiding over increasingly zombified parliaments is not great optics.
    We are almost there anyway, with Charley boy giving the Queen's Speech in May. Retire her altogether, sod's law dictates that she dies 3 months afterwards and the folk belief is she had nothing left to live for poor old dear, and Charley's reign proper is tainted with the idea that he killed her off by edging her out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What is the bizarre connection between this greasy spoon in west london and Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine

If you know the backstory you’ll get it straight away. If you don’t you will need clues

Nicht der google!

Ok, first guess, anything to do with polonium?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:
    He accurately judged that he could not add value.

Having said that, IDS “is greater than” Rees-Mogg.

Edited to avoid vanilla tag clusterfuck.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    darkage said:

It is quite something to watch Truss becoming PM.
    In all honesty, you can only wish her the best of luck.
    I think the thing that she has got going for her, is that she is a pragmatic survivor and has got some stuff done, ie when she made a load of mediocre trade deals at quite a fast rate.
    She has also managed to suppress her apparent 'free market/low tax/pro privatisation' beliefs to a sufficient degree to serve in Boris Johnsons government as it kept doing the opposite.
    She played the leadership election campaign correctly, just telling the electorate what they wanted to hear.
    The reality is that now she can completely ignore them if she wants.
    As the header says, it is the MP's she needs to think about.

Given her record of mediocrity, her flexible beliefs, no firm opinions, she reminds me of another PM.

Ah yes ... Jim Hacker.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

boulay said:

Possibly.

I couldn’t bear the name thought of him acting as father of the nation in the event of HM’s death.

I am implacably opposed to Liz Truss, but she simply doesn’t provoke the same feelings of anger, shame, frustration, and even nausea.
    Same here. Having Boris Johnson as my PM has been a genuinely unpleasant experience on a personal level. I don't feel that way about Liz Truss. I see her as a disaster in the making but I expect her to try her best and be on at least nodding terms with honesty and public service.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The qualitative decline from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert in their prime to Trevor Noah is indeed painful

I’ll say one thing for that Lycett guy in the BBC kerfuffle. He may be Woke and Left but he’s actually quite funny. Good timing. Not a genius but you take what you can these days
  • Options

boulay said:

Possibly.

Yet.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

Nope. Much more bizarre than that
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

My own limited days of bohemia (nothing compared with Leon’s) included a fair amount of time there.

That was me - a regular haunt, and I used to enjoy showing people the old giant turntable in the cellar.

Do you happen to remember the Worm Lady?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

Hmmmm does it involve the owners or patron(s)?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Driver said:

IanB2 said:

Driver said:

IanB2 said:

Driver said:

Scott_xP said:
    And nor was Cameron, who wasn't "brought down" at all...
    He brought himself down through hubris, which is the more common route than the clown bringing himself down through dishonesty.
    Well, he quit when under no pressure at all.
    But he had no choice, really. Look at how being tainted as a remainer played out for Mrs M. The remarkable thing is how Truss has been so keenly welcomed by the head banging brigade.
    Sure he did. There was no pressure on him at all to quit and no expectation that he would.

He was probably the person in the best position to unite the EEA Leavers with the accepting Remainers and come up with a form of Brexit that would have satisfied all but the few headbangers on each side who could and should have been marginalised.
    I agree that would have been the sensible path, but not that he could have done it. Nixon was the one who went to China.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

That was me - a regular haunt, and I used to enjoy showing people the old giant turntable in the cellar.

Hahaha.

I was going to bring her up but I thought I’d spare PB.

I think she’s currently tipped as incoming Deputy PM.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

Hmmmm does it involve the owners or patron(s)?
    A while ago, yes. Before it was a cafe
  • Options
    148grss said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Regency. We practically have one already now.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

MPs never stop bitching. Never. You’ll always find someone with a gripe even if the leader just delivered a 3 figure majority.

• Options

Scott_xP said:
    He accurately judged that he could not add value.

Having said that, IDS “is greater than” Rees-Mogg.

Edited to avoid vanilla tag clusterfuck.
    The quiet man is turning down the job
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,170

Just in time for Johnson's resurrection. I thought we were saved from Peppa Pig, the eulogy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The qualitative decline from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert in the prime to Noah is indeed painful

I’ll say one thing for that Lycett guy in the BBC kerfuffle. He may be Woke and Left but he’s actually quite funny. Good timing. Not a genius but you take what you can these days
    I find John Oliver, despite his obsessions with race and Trump, and on UK matters very one note, utterly hilarious. Had he not got his own show first he'd presumably have gotten the daily show gig.

I found Noah ok, but something in the writing and references made it seem more a script from others than his own personality. Maybe hes stamped his own style on it by now.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

First names of the last four finance ministers—
    France: Bruno, Michel, Pierre, François
    Germany: Christian, Olaf, Peter, Wolfgang
    Italy: Daniele, Roberto, Giovanni, Pier Carlo
    Britain: Kwasi, Nadhim, Rishi, Sajid

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1566820707912368128

Whose finances are in best shape is perhaps the question to ask!
    Debt as % GDP:

Italy: 151
    France: 113
    UK: 96
    Germany: 69
    Is that the measure that was UK under 40% in 2007 - before years of Austerity (for some) to bring it down! 🫣

Where would US be on that current list, if I have been paying attention, PBs St Bart the Pirate will comment here that 140% is actually no problem at all, only beyond that it goes squizzy.
    137%

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp?continent=america

So is St Bart the pirate actually right on this one, this is a pointless measure to use for economic health and strength? The Tory austerity years, the lasting impact of them in income divides, was not actually necessary?
    ????????

I have NEVER said that. In fact I've always said the exact opposite.

There is no specific debt to GDP number that "matters" but what matters far more is an overall look at the deficit, whether debt to GDP is going up or down, and where you are in the economic cycle.
    You only know where you were in the "economic cycle" since it takes shape in retrospect.
    Not true, a recession is a matter of record determined at the time, not in hindsight. Two consecutive quarters of negative growth. On average a recession occurs about once every eight to twelve years or so.

You can and do know how many years you are since the last recession as a matter of fact at the time. So eg in 2006/07 we were 15/16 years from the last recession and overdue a new one which then occurred the following year.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Hahaha.

I was going to bring her up but I thought I’d spare PB.

I think she’s currently tipped as incoming Deputy PM.
    Now you mention it...
  • Options
    Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h
    In case anyone was getting worried, UK not having any problems at all borrowing money in capital markets right now.
    Just raised £3.5bn of 3yr gilts at 3.2%.
    Cover ratio (this is important - it’s how many bids there were for each bond) pretty healthy at 2.6 times.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,404
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Even @TSE should get behind that. Not only does it keep his least favourite royal away from the throne, but she'd be beating a Frenchman.
    Nope.

Beating France in things like this brings us no honour.

I’m not looking forward to the North Korean level of flag shagging and mewling when Brenda passes on.

The sycophancy will embarrass the Kim family.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    "Former Conservative leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith has said he was offered a position in Liz Truss's new cabinet but turned it down."

https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-prime-minister-live-updates-picks-cabinet-boris-johnson-12593360
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,170
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

The caf you and Vlad met up with Shamima Begum for a threesome?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

Did Zelensky act in something filmed there?
  • Options
    Well, that comes as a complete surprise:

John Blackwood, Chief Executive of the Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL), responds to the rent freeze announcement

" I have been inundated by landlords saying they will be removing their vacant properties from the rental market, and I don’t blame them.”

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1567147873434755072
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Entitled little shit - its not even 3 years in parliament for the 2019 intake, Liz was a high flyer and got in the Cabinet in 4 years.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Ok that greasy spoon photo puzzle is probably too hard

Hefty clue: car bombs
  • Options

Just in time for Johnson's resurrection. I thought we were saved from Peppa Pig, the eulogy.
    1 year and 9 months brings us ominously close to the likely date of the next GE.

Why do I have a horrible feeling London Bridge will fall down the 6 weeks beforehand or similar and the PM rides a wave of national mourning to another 5 years?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,285
    edited September 2022

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h
    In case anyone was getting worried, UK not having any problems at all borrowing money in capital markets right now.
    Cover ratio (this is important - it’s how many bids there were for each bond) pretty healthy at 2.6 times.

Bloomberg now

Bond yields surge across Europe on Fed jitters
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Former Conservative leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith has said he was offered a position in Liz Truss's new cabinet but turned it down."

https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-prime-minister-live-updates-picks-cabinet-boris-johnson-12593360

Good news
  • Options
    Giantlizgate latest: BBC have cropped her at the knees and lost HMQ feet

I thought I should redo the math. My last effort was circular because it worked off HMQ published height of 5'3" and the contention was that she had shrunk. Even if she is now 4'6" Liz is still about 6'6", though.

Sometimes I think I have too little to do.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

That’s a clever guess. But no

But it is something strange like that. Except much stranger
  • Options

John Blackwood, Chief Executive of the Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL), responds to the rent freeze announcement

" I have been inundated by landlords saying they will be removing their vacant properties from the rental market, and I don’t blame them.”

So basically this is a fabulous policy for existing tenants and leaves the rest more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript?

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.
  • Options
    Leon said:

On that greasy spoon photo puzzle is probably too hard

Is it the cafe used by Chechens gangsters to make fake passports in “Line of Duty?”.

Are the Assad family involved?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Scott_xP said:

Not a surprise, Labour just wanted to shield from October and January rises, it was properly costed to shield from full year bills on same system, to be £120bn. When in opposition you can get away with not being straightforward about your plans like Labour were, you can’t in government.

Now government have the “it’s going to be a lot more expensive than promised” problem, leading in due course to both you’ve mismanaged it and you lied to us.
  • Options

Foxy said:

First names of the last four finance ministers—
    France: Bruno, Michel, Pierre, François
    Germany: Christian, Olaf, Peter, Wolfgang
    Italy: Daniele, Roberto, Giovanni, Pier Carlo
    Britain: Kwasi, Nadhim, Rishi, Sajid

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1566820707912368128

Whose finances are in best shape is perhaps the question to ask!
    Debt as % GDP:

Italy: 151
    France: 113
    UK: 96
    Germany: 69
    Is that the measure that was UK under 40% in 2007 - before years of Austerity (for some) to bring it down! 🫣

Where would US be on that current list, if I have been paying attention, PBs St Bart the Pirate will comment here that 140% is actually no problem at all, only beyond that it goes squizzy.
    Austerity was not about bringing down the debt, it was about bringing down the deficit. 🤦‍♂️

It is the deficit that matters much, much more than debt since debt figure can and will rapidly change if deficit isn't controlled.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Owned by that guy who's daughter just got blown up?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nope.

I’m not looking forward to the North Korean level of flag shagging and mewling when Brenda passes on.

The difference being it's a one off, so not actually similar.

Schedule a holiday on the announcement, even for fans it will be too much.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

Mad Vlad sold Wellington boots there, on vacation from New Zealand?
  • Options

Leon said:

Closer. A bit. But more more weird

Think kilts and sporrans
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I couldn't care less how many white men are in the cabinet. Choose the best people.
  • Options
    This is actually an insane story
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h

Bloomberg now

Bond yields surge across Europe on Fed jitters
    US treasury bond yields also rising.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Think kilts and sporrans
    Alex Salmond made a pass at Mrs Putin there during an impromptu diplomatic munchies stop.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Nope.

The difference being it's a one off, so not actually similar.

Schedule a holiday on the announcement, even for fans it will be too much.
    I have an agreement with work that the moment London Bridge falls down I’m switching off the internet and becoming a hermit for a month.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,975

Scott_xP said:

Not a surprise, Labour just wanted to shield from October and January rises, it was properly costed to shield from full year bills on same system, to be £120bn. When in opposition you can get away with not being straightforward about your plans like Labour were, you can’t in government.

Now government have the “it’s going to be a lot more expensive than promised” problem, leading in due course to both you’ve mismanaged it and you lied to us.
    The one thing these massive bills (for energy) highlight is that the best approach is to get the Ukraine everything they need to win this war asap...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

I couldn't care less how many white men are in the cabinet. Choose the best people.
    We can safely say there's no chance of that.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Think kilts and sporrans
    Alex Salmond made a pass at Mrs Putin there during an impromptu diplomatic munchies stop.
    We’re talking that level of wtf

Another clue: Osiris
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

I am bored so I cheated. Still don't see the link but what amazes is me is that google can accurately identify the place and isn't fooled by changes of colour and writing in the awning. Just as impressive to me as the dall e stuff.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So basically this is a fabulous policy for existing tenants and leaves the rest more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript?
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

"Selling" is a valid reason for eviction.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

I am bored so I cheated. Still don't see the link but what amazes is me is that google can accurately identify the place and isn't fooled by changes of colour and writing in the awning. Just as impressive to me as the dall e stuff.
    Yes I find that ability almost sinister

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h

That's good news tbh
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nicht der google!

You of all people should get this

• Options
    Liz Truss is still Foreign Secretary. Wikipedia says Home Secretary and Chancellor are vacant although I'm not sure that technically they are.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h

That's good news tbh
    Not sure it'll be as easy raising +100Bn.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h

That's good news tbh
    It is indeed. @MaxPB has repeatedly spoken about the threat of the UK losing the faith of the markets and it's a risk but thankfully a risk that there doesn't seem to be evidence is happening, yet.

The country needs to be on alert for that though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,404
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Liz Truss is still Foreign Secretary. Wikipedia says Home Secretary and Chancellor are vacant although I'm not sure that technically they are.

Technically they are. When a Prime Minister resigns the entire government resigns.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

According to tradition, all members of a cabinet resign on a change of government. That means the incoming PM gets to set their own team without baggage.

It's a technicality, but I suspect Wiki is right on this.
This discussion has been closed.