Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The support of Tory MPs – Truss’s biggest challenge – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
imageThe support of Tory MPs – Truss’s biggest challenge – politicalbetting.com

With Truss taking over as prime minister it is perhaps worth reminding ourselves of the potential weakness she has with the parliamentary Conservative Party. On the first leadership ballot in July she came away with a meagre 50 votes out of a total 358. That hardly suggests massive backing from her MPs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    edited September 2022
    First on the plane from Northolt.
  • A bet not placed. Ladbrokes developed the habit of cutting my already-modest stakes to ribbons so in the end I gave up and emptied my account.

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

Andy_JS said:

Another plane at Northolt taking Truss to Balmoral

That's bonkers, why didn't they go on the same plane? We're in the middle of an energy crisis! And Johnson could have shared some of his top tips for governing/best spots in No 10 for a fumble.
    It would be a security risk for them to be on the same plane.
    In theory, yes. In practice, do any homegrown terrorists have ground-to-air missiles? They'd be more at risk taking those Cabinet photos outside Number 10.
    The PIRA had some Soviet MANPADS. Allegedly decommissioned.

There is a list of attacks on civilian aircraft with Soviet MANPADS (and the equivalent Chinese versions) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-portable_air-defense_system#Against_civilian_aircraft
  • FPT:

The NYT's latest "hot take":

Britain’s Next Prime Minister Is Still in Thrall to the Empire

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/06/opinion/truss-uk-prime-minister.html

For a former Lib Dem, republican Remainer that's quite a turn around!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

A bet not placed. Ladbrokes developed the habit of cutting my already-modest stakes to ribbons so in the end I gave up and emptied my account.

Was there not a Parliamentary enquiry underway into the behaviour of bookmakers?

While most of the focus should be on problem gambling, the recent development of the bookies using to technology to profile customers and reduce many of them to pennies, is a very sharp business practice.
  • FPT:

She betrays hers principles like she betrayed her husband.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,284
    edited September 2022
    Wikipedia thinks Truss is already PM. She isn't. Edit: they've just changed it to "vacant".
  • Sandpit said:

A bet not placed. Ladbrokes developed the habit of cutting my already-modest stakes to ribbons so in the end I gave up and emptied my account.

Was there not a Parliamentary enquiry underway into the behaviour of bookmakers?

While most of the focus should be on problem gambling, the recent development of the bookies using to technology to profile customers and reduce many of them to pennies, is a very sharp business practice.
    All bookmakers want are problem ganblers, thats what the gambling review should be about.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,284
    Nicholas Witchell: Liz Truss's plane had to circle at Aberdeen airport due to fog.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Liz Truss under pressure to appoint unity cabinet to bring together party - but allies against giving out jobs too widely.

One cabinet minister: “It would mean appointing people who didn’t support her - people who very publicly said her ideas were shit and she’s incompetent."

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1567103200125149184
  • This is in some ways Putin’s last throw of the dice. If this move does not work he has few options left. It is a gamble in two respects. First it marks the end of Russia’s dominant role in the European energy market. It has demonstrated that it is an unreliable supplier. Supplies not being sent to Europe cannot be easily diverted elsewhere. It takes time to build new pipelines to new markets, for example in Asia. Second, this dramatic loss of market share is only worth the effort if it has the desired political effects and leads to Europe abandoning Ukraine. But the totality of Russian actions over the past six months, from the bombardment of cities to the grisly crimes in occupied areas, to the recklessness at the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant, to the fake news and impossible diplomatic demands, means that European governments, even those who most anxious for this crisis to be over, do not see a way to do so until Putin backs down......

If Moscow was truly confident that it could hold on to its gains and possibly extend them, it would have kept the gas pipelines open, taking the revenues and giving itself a reasonable chance of holding on to lucrative markets over the long-term. It is a sign of a loss of confidence, even desperation, that as Russia is failing as a military superpower it is jeopardising its position as an energy superpower.

https://samf.substack.com/p/the-economic-war
  • Mr. Sandpit, I wonder if that approach by bookies is going to cook their own goose.

Smarkets and Betfair don't have such limitations, do they?
  • FPT:

Isn't the point that she's more than capable of making such a turnaround and it is fact her mo?
  • FPT:

Let's keep it classy. In any case, Boris has rather devalued the fidelity factor. No-one cared.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss under pressure to appoint unity cabinet to bring together party - but allies against giving out jobs too widely.

One cabinet minister: “It would mean appointing people who didn’t support her - people who very publicly said her ideas were shit and she’s incompetent."

A balanced Cabinet worked for Mrs Thatcher. It was after she axed the wets that she fell.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Andy_JS said:

Wikipedia thinks Truss is already PM. She isn't. Edit: they've just changed it to "vacant".

This "vacant" person is doing pretty well, better than the predecessor.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Tory MPs arent totally unreasonable - theyll give Truss a fair shot.

And then itll be too late for them to act.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Andy_JS said:

Nicholas Witchell: Liz Truss's plane had to circle at Aberdeen airport due to fog.

Could be an omen for her Premiership...
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Fog? London journalist speaks. 15mph easterly wind off the North Sea - so a haar.
    NEW: Buckingham Palace confirms that The Queen has accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister.

Thank fuck that's over...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,259

FPT:

The colonisation of the NYT by the British Remainer mindset is one of the strangest evolutions in journalism

Frankly, if I was a NYT reader in America I’d be somewhat bored of this neurosis by now

Andy_JS said:

Lot of people made that mistake by not holding off congratulations until today.

Its important though - Boris will be claiming expenses for being PM right up the the final minute.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Buckingham Palace confirms that The Queen has accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister.

There you go Scotty. I hope you and all the PB Boris haters will be able to get some peace now... X
  • Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Fog? London journalist speaks. 15mph easterly wind off the North Sea - so a haar.
    Haar over Dyce, Scotland cut off.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

In Norfolk we hide indoors in such conditions as Dragon's Breath means there be Dragons!
    Has Liz Truss got lost or gone to the pub? If she doesn't hurry up, 'vacant' will get some momentum behind them.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

FPT:

From that article: "[Enoch] Powell has a claim to being Britain’s most influential postwar politician. That’s chiefly because, in an era of decolonization, he sketched out a route for Britain to maintain its global dominance."

Brexirrhoids do channel Powellism, but not in any sense that Kojo Koram in that article demonstrates an ability to wrap his head around.

Is it easy to get wiffle into the Grey Lady nowadays or what?
    Its a trick! He's not really resigned! Not until its independently verified by the corgis and the Korgis.
  • Scott_xP said:

Mentioned in passing on Radio 4 this morning. Truss wants ministers who pass the "Today programme test"; i.e. no comments critical of the Leaderene that they can be gotchaed about.

Three potential issues off the top of my head.

Key one is that this would further limit the talent pool, which already looks like some reservoirs did a few weeks ago.

It also betrays a bit of insecure cringe (I get it... she's a geek from a Comp who went to Oxford and politics... not easy). Maggie and Blair were able to keep people who disagreed with them in their cabinet. Cameron was forced to for a while, as was Major (for different reasons). It's a sign of the strength that leads to longevity.

Finally- what if Truss's ideas are shit and she is incompetent? Bit early to be going full-on Bunker.
  • Its a trick! He's not really resigned! Not until its independently verified by the corgis and the Korgis.

Ha, I'd forgotten about the Korgis.

Everybody's Got to Learn They've Lost Sometime
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Is Angela Rayner trying to hex two Tory leaders in a row?
    (Joke.)

PS A friend says he won't be surprised if Truss starts using a hand signal the way Angela Merkel used her famous "quadrilateral".

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

In Norfolk we hide indoors in such conditions as Dragon's Breath means there be Dragons!
    Rain, loically heavy with lightning, in the area to the SE of Dyce (ie Balmoral-ish), heading NE Dyceward. Beginning to wonder if they should have taken the train.

Its a trick! He's not really resigned! Not until its independently verified by the corgis and the Korgis.

Ha, I'd forgotten about the Korgis.

Everybody's Got to Learn They've Lost Sometime
    Theres a late 70s/early 80s obscure musical reference for every situation
    Graciously pleased to accept could be code for bloody elated, but I guess is just standard formula.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited September 2022

FPT:

Apparently Truss's, and presumably Kwarteng's, policies are "pure Powellism".
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2022
    deleted; too late for obvious joke
    Dynamo said:

FPT:

From that article: "[Enoch] Powell has a claim to being Britain’s most influential postwar politician. That’s chiefly because, in an era of decolonization, he sketched out a route for Britain to maintain its global dominance."

Brexirrhoids do channel Powellism, but not in any sense that Kojo Koram in that article demonstrates an ability to wrap his head around.

It’s completely bonkers. I can’t work out whether the author is bonkers or the editors have a new bonkers take on Brexit Britain and have searched, desperately, for someone willing to write this bilge for $$$

Enoch Powell? Really? I doubt if 10% of British people under 40 have a clue who he is
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

Today, for first time in history, we will have six former Prime Ministers still alive: John Major (79), Tony Blair (69), Gordon Brown (71), David Cameron (55), Theresa May (65) and Boris Johnson (58). What’s remarkable is how young these ex-PMs are - none is yet 80.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1567074637825150978

This makes me realise that I have reached another one of those age realisations.
    It started when an England football player was younger than me. The next landmark was when there was an England cricket player younger than me. Then the England football/cricket captain wer younger than me, then all the whole team was younger than me.

Gradually the politicians take over the role with MPs younger than me, then a LOTO younger than me (Milliband) but today for the first time there is a Prime Minister younger than me!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    kle4 said:

Graciously pleased to accept could be code for bloody elated, but I guess is just standard formula.
    Her Majesty always does everything graciously, that form of words would be used even if she’d privately told him to eff off and not come back. :D
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Rain, loically heavy with lightning, in the area to the SE of Dyce (ie Balmoral-ish), heading NE Dyceward. Beginning to wonder if they should have taken the train.
    The Nation channeling 150 years of England cricket fans and hoping the rain will save them
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Boris has now officially seen the Queen at Balmoral and resigned as PM. So for a while we are now PM less until Truss arrives with executive power in the hands of the Queen until then who is head of government as well as head of state until she appoints a new PM to act as head of her government
    eristdoof said:

Today, for first time in history, we will have six former Prime Ministers still alive: John Major (79), Tony Blair (69), Gordon Brown (71), David Cameron (55), Theresa May (65) and Boris Johnson (58). What’s remarkable is how young these ex-PMs are - none is yet 80.

This makes me realise that I have reached another one of those age realisations.
    It started when an England football player was younger than me. The next landmark was when there was an England cricket player younger than me. Then the England football/cricket captain wer younger than me, then all the whole team was younger than me.

Gradually the politicians take over the role with MPs younger than me, then a LOTO younger than me (Milliband) but today for the first time there is a Prime Minister younger than me!
    It’s when you are older than the US President that you really need to worry
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Sandpit said:

All bookmakers want are problem ganblers, thats what the gambling review should be about.
    Tbf though most customers have to lose otherwise there can't be a product.

It's a bit like the insurance industry in this regard. Like investment banking too.

FPT:

The main argument there seems to be Truss is heir to Enoch Powell as well as Thatcher, not only taking on a hard line on immigration and taking on the EU and Putin but also slashing the state and taxes and red tape and setting the market free. Instead the author argues she should be putting a cap on energy bills, increasing tax on profits and pushing state investment

With Boris going and if as expected Truss appoints Kwarteng Chancellor, Braverman Home Secretary and Cleverly Foreign Sec there will be no white male in the top jobs in government for the first time ever. Also showing the ludicrous nature of the NYT Enoch Powell comparison
    Jonathan said:

Has Liz Truss got lost or gone to the pub? If she doesn't hurry up, 'vacant' will get some momentum behind them.

Graun says HMtQ is in charge meanwhile.

deleted; too late for obvious joke

Are you new here?
    Truss just arrived at Balmoral to accept the Queen's offer to form a government
  • Carnyx said:

Jonathan said:

Graun says HMtQ is in charge meanwhile.
    Truss arrives at Balmoral
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Scott_xP said:

Mentioned in passing on Radio 4 this morning. Truss wants ministers who pass the "Today programme test"; i.e. no comments critical of the Leaderene that they can be gotchaed about.

Three potential issues off the top of my head.

Key one is that this would further limit the talent pool, which already looks like some reservoirs did a few weeks ago.

It also betrays a bit of insecure cringe (I get it... she's a geek from a Comp who went to Oxford and politics... not easy). Maggie and Blair were able to keep people who disagreed with them in their cabinet. Cameron was forced to for a while, as was Major (for different reasons). It's a sign of the strength that leads to longevity.

Finally- what if Truss's ideas are shit and she is incompetent? Bit early to be going full-on Bunker.
    Great post. Well said.

Cheerleading cabinets are narcissistic and un patriotic - having the best of the wets in and making it work like Lady Thatcher, or Robin cook and Claire Short either side of you like Blair did is the way to benchmark true rather than phoney leadership.
    HYUFD said:

Boris has now officially seen the Queen at Balmoral and resigned as PM. So for a while we are now PM less until Truss arrives with executive power in the hands of the Queen until then who is head of government as well as head of state until she appoints a new PM to act as head of her government

She should secretly declare war on Lichtenstein and their obvious allies-in-evil Cape Verde
    The new secretaries of state for Trade, Transport, Education and Culture have proved the most problematic to fill, according to a senior Government source.

“Kemi and Penny have been difficult. They both think they have enough clout to hold out for something better than what they have been offered,” they said.

“Kemi was offered Transport but didn’t want it. And there was the question about whether Nadine would carry on. Now she has resigned so that frees up the space.”

“Giving Culture or Education to Kemi would give her too much of a platform,” the source explained, given how vocal she has been on issues of culture wars and free speech.

https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/status/1567110307490701315
    Jonathan said:

If only. A much better option imo.
    Leon said:

eristdoof said:

It’s when you are older than the US President that you really need to worry
    Is Methusula on PB?

HYUFD said:

She should secretly declare war on Lichtenstein and their obvious allies-in-evil Cape Verde
    Except it's not true and Johnson obviously stayed as prime minister until Truss was appointed. There's when a resignation is accepted and there's when departure from office comes into effect.
    Imagine the small talk, "Hi Liz, I'm Liz 2".

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

FPT:

You do know that you don't have to read the NYT if it annoys you.
    Hearing that Jacob Rees Mogg is expected to take on the role of business secretary *and* the junior minister's responsibilities of energy and climate change later today

Word is at least two Tories have turned down the jr role which would have worked closely with him

https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1567111390418051074

There is a slim chance at this point that Truss can't actually put together a functioning cabinet...
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

Except it's not true and Johnson obviously stayed as prime minister until Truss was appointed. There's when a resignation is accepted and there's when departure from office comes into effect.
    So..... no war with the Lichtenstein/Verde stormtroopers?? Ffs
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Fuck, I had forgotten what winning a bet feels like. It's nice
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Leon said:

FPT:

The colonisation of the NYT by the British Remainer mindset is one of the strangest evolutions in journalism

Frankly, if I was a NYT reader in America I’d be somewhat bored of this neurosis by now

Frankly, as a PB reader, I can say the same about your continuing obsession on the same topic.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

FPT:

Let's keep it classy. In any case, Boris has rather devalued the fidelity factor. No-one cared.
    There is a long history of adultery from PM's, all the way back to Lord Melbourne and beyond.
    On topic, although Sunak topped the ballot of Tory MPs he did not get a majority of them to back him either and most Tory MPs have now endorsed Truss after she gained support from some Mordaunt MPs for example.

Truss' membership support was not overwhelming however, she got only 57% of Tory members to back her, which while clear was far less than the 67% of Tory members who voted for Cameron in 2005 and the 66% who voted for Boris in 2019 and even less than the 60% who voted for IDS in 2001.

It was though about the same as the 56% of Labour members who voted for Starmer in 2020 and actually slightly more than the 49% of Labour members who voted for Corbyn in 2015, though less than the 59% of Labour members who voted to re elect Corbyn in 2016
  • Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

No he did not

Johnson resigned and for the time it takes for Truss to be appointed HMQ retains authority over the proceedings
    Jonathan said:

Imagine the small talk, "Hi Liz, I'm Liz 2".

Former Republican eh? Prove it.

Your majesty?

Kneel, b****
    Scott_xP said:

Yes let's not go straight into bleaksville because of Truss. Let's first toast the end of something truly rotten. Life is much improved if you take time to smell the roses.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Jacob Rees Mogg is expected to take on the role of business secretary *and* the junior minister's responsibilities of energy and climate change later today

Word is at least two Tories have turned down the jr role which would have worked closely with him

There is a slim chance at this point that Truss can't actually put together a functioning cabinet...

Got to say that Junior Energy and Climate Change Minister reporting to JRM sounds like the worst job possible....

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

HYUFD said:

Does she get the nuclear codes?

Moscow, London (don't make me go back there) or Santa Barbara?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    HYUFD said:

Truss just arrived at Balmoral to accept the Queen's offer to form a government

Or to say, sorry, Boris advised me to send for JRM, he's on the next plane.

Keep it going for 20 minutes and when LT gets despondent, collapse in giggles.

"The Queen graciously appointed Liz Truss as her new prime minister and First Lord of the Treasury".
  • Leon said:

Dynamo said:

FPT:

It’s completely bonkers. I can’t work out whether the author is bonkers or the editors have a new bonkers take on Brexit Britain and have searched, desperately, for someone willing to write this bilge for $$$

Enoch Powell? Really? I doubt if 10% of British people under 40 have a clue who he is
    You missed the BBC's coming man Amol Rajan's hour long commemorative special which included a read through of the full R of B speech? The reception was mixed.
  • Dura_Ace said:

FPT:

I find it endlessly entertaining - don't you?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    Leon said:

FPT:

It was long before that - when the UK rejected Brown (who was closely tied in with East Coast Democrats) and elected the Coalition, the NYT took the "Austerity" (cutting the rate of growth in spending to below the rate of growth of the economy) as an insult to Obamanomics (borrow your way out of trouble).
  • Scott_xP said:

Bloody silly, or a sign they did not believe rumours of JRM's imminent retirement to the Lords?
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Got to say that Junior Energy and Climate Change Minister reporting to JRM sounds like the worst job possible....
    What you wouldn't fancy being patronised to within an inch of your life on a daily basis by a facetious toffee-nosed ignoramus?

Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

No he did not

Johnson resigned and for the time it takes for Truss to be appointed HMQ retains authority over the proceedings
    I think dynamo is probably right on this one. As a matter of pragmatic practicality and the flexibility of the british constitution, though it might not be specified it seems reasonable to infer that the resignation, offered and accepted, does not formally take effect.

Otherwise the formal lists would show vacancies for the tiny time period, but instead its shown as instant.

HYUFD said:

Does she get the nuclear codes?

Moscow, London (don't make me go back there) or Santa Barbara?
    She misses the good old days of her Polaris randomiser button
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

No, it is true.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/how-is-a-prime-minister-appointed/
  • Scott_xP said:

The new secretaries of state for Trade, Transport, Education and Culture have proved the most problematic to fill, according to a senior Government source.

“Kemi and Penny have been difficult. They both think they have enough clout to hold out for something better than what they have been offered,” they said.

“Kemi was offered Transport but didn’t want it. And there was the question about whether Nadine would carry on. Now she has resigned so that frees up the space.”

“Giving Culture or Education to Kemi would give her too much of a platform,” the source explained, given how vocal she has been on issues of culture wars and free speech.

https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/status/1567110307490701315

Kemi should have taken Transport. Shapps and Grayling have set the bar low.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT:

Frankly, as a PB reader, I can say the same about your continuing obsession on the same topic.
    There are multiple things I can rant about, for days, as you surely know. Because I do it constantly. This really isn’t one of them, I didn’t even bring it up

However as a columnist for the Knapper’s Gazette i do find it professionally curious. I wonder, for instance, if these articles are popular with American readers. If they get lots of clicks. If they are then that says something genuinely interesting about
    liberal American attitudes, and their projections of self doubt and political anxiety onto the UK
  • Exclusive:

Liz Truss expected to freeze household energy bills at around £2,500

It will be the £1,971 energy price cap + the £400 universal handout, with a little on top

Cost expected to be around £90bn - coming from general taxation, not energy bills

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1567107440436453376
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

On topic, although Sunak topped the ballot of Tory MPs he did not get a majority of them to back him either and most Tory MPs have now endorsed Truss after she gained support from some Mordaunt MPs for example.

Truss' membership support was not overwhelming however, she got only 57% of Tory members to back her, which while clear was far less than the 67% of Tory members who voted for Cameron in 2005 and the 66% who voted for Boris in 2019 and even less than the 60% who voted for IDS in 2001.

It was though about the same as the 56% of Labour members who voted for Starmer in 2020 and actually slightly more than the 49% of Labour members who voted for Corbyn in 2015, though less than the 59% of Labour members who voted to re elect Corbyn in 2016

“ and most Tory MPs have now endorsed Truss after she gained support from some Mordaunt MPs for example.”

PBs St Bart used the same laughable spin - truth is it was only after the greasy polers saw how the wind was blowing 🙂

You are wrong, Mike Smithson is right - Truss struggles in all MP Ballots reflect how her crap skills set and policy outlook is not rated at all by her MPs.

And not liked by her membership either, as she got less than 50% to endorse her despite being clear winner for weeks - and if it had been two horse race with discredited and barmy Boris she would have been soundly beaten by him is the truth here.
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

What you wouldn't fancy being patronised to within an inch of your life on a daily basis by a facetious toffee-nosed ignoramus?
    We aren't talking posting on pb

Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

So..... no war with the Lichtenstein/Verde stormtroopers?? Ffs
    We share an anthem with Lichtenstein, it wouldnt be right.
  • Exclusive:

It will be the £1,971 energy price cap + the £400 universal handout, with a little on top

Cost expected to be around £90bn - coming from general taxation, not energy bills

If true that seems sensible as the wealthy will have to contribute more
  • Dura_Ace said:

FPT:

Very short odds on bet that there are PBers who have a subscription to the NYT and the Natonal as they hilariously title it.
    edited September 2022
    Yougov

Con: 28% (-3 from 23-24 Aug)
    Lab: 43% (+4)
    Lib Dem: 11% (=)
    Green: 6% (-1)
    Reform UK: 3% (-2)
    SNP: 5% (=)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1567107622163079170?s=20&t=koL0fjMmGxvoOqgFMiGhwg

Labour now open up a 12% lead in the Midlands and Wales, a 26% point lead in the North and a 35% lead in London. Labour even 4% ahead in the South.

However the Tories up to 22% in the Yougov Scottish subsample, with the SNP on 46% and Labour on 20%.

So so far the main swing to the Tories with a looming Truss premiership is in Scotland, everywhere else has swung further to Labour. However the poll was taken before she became PM so we need a week or so to see if she gets any bounce

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/09/06/voting-intention-con-28-lab-43-31-aug-1-sep-2022-a
  • Liechtenstein*.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT:

There are multiple things I can rant about, for days, as you surely know. Because I do it constantly. This really isn’t one of them, I didn’t even bring it up

However as a columnist for the Knapper’s Gazette i do find it professionally curious. I wonder, for instance, if these articles are popular with American readers. If they get lots of clicks. If they are then that says something genuinely interesting about
    liberal American attitudes, and their projections of self doubt and political anxiety onto the UK
    Would you drop The Speculumtator if the NYT offered you a gig?

the Natonal as they hilariously title it.

Actually, it's the Nat onal...
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    If the energy bill is coming out of general taxation, what does that mean for her tax cut plan ? Has it perhaps been shelved for now ; I wonder ?

Exclusive:

Sounds like a dogs dinner - Truss listened to the energy fat cats and did what they wanted, whilst Lib Dems and Labour listened to the voters.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

HYUFD said:

How would they know?
    Strangely hearing that 2 or maybe 3 people have turned down the Northern Ireland brief. Have heard Penny Mordaunt and Sajid Javid- maybe another - what’s going on?
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1567114178749497345
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Everybody’s gotta Learn sometimes.

Exclusive:

Those at the bottom end better off than Labour's plan, paid by the slightly below average upwards
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Exclusive:

Sounds like a dogs dinner - Truss listened to the energy fat cats and did what they wanted, whilst Lib Dems and Labour listened to the voters.
    Isn't it the same as Labour's plan plus an additional £400 handout?
This discussion has been closed.