Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Reassuring CON voters 3 days before the Bexley by-election – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
Reassuring CON voters 3 days before the Bexley by-election – politicalbetting.com

'Forgive me, forgive me, forgive me'@BorisJohnson appears to lose track of his notes as he delivers a speech to the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) pic.twitter.com/cdCJ2tO6ye

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Second like Labour in Bexley.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Dead cat.
  • How on earth, have we ended up with this fool as P.M
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited November 2021
    Judging by my canvassing in Old Bexley and Sidcup yesterday it will be a comfortable Tory hold in 10 days time (not 3 days).

The Conservative vote from 2019 is holding up bar a few undecideds and James Brokenshire is remembered with affection. They will not care less about Boris being Boris and losing his place at one point in a speech.

The most interesting thing will be whether the LDs fall to 4th place. I found mainly Conservative voters yesterday and a few Labour, I did not find a single LD voter and we also know Tice and RefUK are campaigning hard in the seat
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,253

Don't you think he looks tired?

Fpt

Its the kids. Boris strikes me as the kind of selfish but charismatic chancer who has always managed to dodge most paternal duties - I don’t mean simply ignoring bastard offspring but always having something more important to do just as the wife needs help with nappies

But this time he can’t dodge. Carrie looks pretty assertive. He’s in the public spotlight. He’s stuck at Number 10. All = a lack of sleep which is ageing him by a decade in a year
  • HYUFD said:

Judging by my canvassing in Old Bexley and Sidcup yesterday it will be a comfortable Tory hold in 10 days time (not 3 days).

The Conservative vote from 2019 is holding up bar a few undecideds and James Brokenshire is remembered with affection. They will not care less about Boris being Boris and losing his place at one point in a speech.

The most interesting thing will be whether the LDs fall to 4th place. I found mainly Conservative voters yesterday and a few Labour, I did not find a single LD voter and we also know Tice and RefUK are campaigning hard in the seat

LDs could fall to the bottom - its called deliberately not campaigning.

Go on then. Tell us all how it doesn't matter that Boris can't manage a speech without making some stupid kids TV show joke or turning from one page to the other because actually its only the CBI and actually this poll shows that people don't care about business.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    HYUFD said:

I doubt you will find one.

Recent by-elections show that Labour and Lib Dem voters are willing to swing behind whichever party is best placed to beat the Tories.

Green voters less so.
    Boris has never, ever, given a good speech, to be fair.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Leon said:

Fpt

Its the kids. Boris strikes me as the kind of selfish but charismatic chancer who has always managed to dodge most paternal duties - I don’t mean simply ignoring bastard offspring but always having something more important to do just as the wife needs help with nappies

But this time he can’t dodge. Carrie looks pretty assertive. He’s in the public spotlight. He’s stuck at Number 10. All = a lack of sleep which is ageing him by a decade in a year
    A lot of people have found working from home with young children impossible - and for the PM home is also the office.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Has Boris outlasted Theresa as PM yet? I think that's when Boris will go.
  • MaxPB said:

The plan was to beat Blair term length only a few months ago.
    edited November 2021
    He’s lost the ability to turn chaos into humour. The bumbling but likeable clown thing. This is just cringe

But again he seems tired more than anything. Certainly not drunk
  • No.

MaxPB said:

Lol, that was never going to be the case. I think ultimately it's about sticking around longer than May. I think he really, really dislikes her and would love to lord it over her even if it's only by one day.
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

From what we know of Boris, this is definitely a milestone he keeps in his head.

I think Boris will scrape the next election, and retire not long after.

The only way he goes before the next election is if it looks likely he will lose it (even to NOM) and then it’s feasible that decides himself to do one “now that Brexit is delivered”.
  • tlg86 said:

Dead cat.

For what though? Social care northern house steal vote later?
    MaxPB said:

Nope Theresa was 3 years and 12 days
    Boris is 2 years and 121 days - he needs to get to August 6th 2022 to beat her.

• Leon said:

Fpt

I think that's right. Having kids in your 50s isn't that smart because they so disrupt your life.
  • Speechgate – not as bad as I'd feared based on reaction amongst Conservative commentators. Perhaps there is an element of The Emperor's New Clothes after Owen Paterson that means his ex-fans now see Boris more clearly.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, that was never going to be the case. I think ultimately it's about sticking around longer than May. I think he really, really dislikes her and would love to lord it over her even if it's only by one day.
    iirc it was briefed to the papers that he was looking to stay another ten years.

That was before he found out he had no money for holidays and wallpaper mind.
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

250 days to go, to beat Mrs May.
    200, to beat Gordon Brown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_length_of_tenure

Cameron was pretty much double May, at six years and a couple of months.

MaxPB said:

From what we know of Boris, this is definitely a milestone he keeps in his head.

The only way he goes before the next election is if it looks likely he will lose it (even to NOM) and then it’s feasible that decides himself to do one “now that Brexit is delivered”.
    I think it's more likely that Tory MPs looking at their own majorities next year will pull the trigger, at least if he can't turn this around (it's still possible, Boris, for all his faults, is a great campaigner). All he will want to do is last longer than Theresa May and have delivered Brexit. I think he'd want to hand over to an EU hawk as well, someone who will continue to push for dilution and decoupling of the UK/EU relationship over the longer term. He won't want someone to see success with the opposite and undermine his legacy of "getting Brexit done".
  • Leon said:

Fpt

I think that's right. Having kids in your 50s isn't that smart because they so disrupt your life.
    BJ will have applied the philosophy to this that he applies to everything:

I got away with it all those other times so I’ll get away with it again.
  • Leon said:

He’s lost the ability to turn chaos into humour. The bumbling but likeable clown thing. This is just cringe

But again he seems tired more than anything. Certainly not drunk

Voters wont notice.

If does this a few times during the actual GE campaign, then might be another story.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Leon said:

Fpt

I’m doing it right now, hope you’re wrong
    mickydroy said:

How on earth, have we ended up with this fool as P.M

Because a bunch of people, many of them MPs, ministers and civil servants, decided to conspire to overturn the result of a referendum.
    isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

I’m doing it right now, hope you’re wrong
    You’re way younger than Boris!! You’ll be fine

• Laura Kuenssberg
    @bbclaurak
    ·
    1h
    Tory MPs were worried last week that No 10 was losing its grip - not sure any of them will feel better if they were watching this morning’s speech …
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Leon said:

Fpt

And of course ALL PM's are aged by the job (possible exception of Cameron).
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think it's more likely that Tory MPs looking at their own majorities next year will pull the trigger, at least if he can't turn this around (it's still possible, Boris, for all his faults, is a great campaigner). All he will want to do is last longer than Theresa May and have delivered Brexit. I think he'd want to hand over to an EU hawk as well, someone who will continue to push for dilution and decoupling of the UK/EU relationship over the longer term. He won't want someone to see success with the opposite and undermine his legacy of "getting Brexit done".
    Disagree.

First, Boris will resign “on his own terms” before any risk of ouster.

Second, I can’t see a consensus for any single alternative emerging in the backbench ranks.

Third, I seriously doubt Boris gives a brass shit who or what replaces him.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    The other day I pointed out Sir Keir waffling, panicking and getting mixed up, saying he was leader in 2018 etc when questioned by the bbc about his second job - I was castigated for being obsessed. Boris does likewise and it’s the thread header!

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

iirc it was briefed to the papers that he was looking to stay another ten years.

I think this will be the major motivating factor, in the end. It must hurt him that he's having to live off handouts from donors and "friends" much wealthier than he is when previously he was easily earning seven figures annually from media appearances and writing. Being PM has probably cut his income by 90% or more, so much that he can't even go on a pretty basic holiday to Spain without a handout. He's become a pauper among his own friends who already probably look down on him for not being old money and having to previously work for a living rather than live off their family wealth.

mickydroy said:

1) By Labour making the alternative a nastier, most foolish fool.
    2) By a couple of decades of not listening to voters' concerns.
    1. A demoralised-by-social-media, media class
    2. Brexit
    3. Corbyn

Leon said:

Fpt

Late 50s at that. These new kids will still only be in their mid teens when he’s in his 70s

This is what I take from his “buyer’s remorse” remark. I don’t believe he regrets hooking up with Carrie. They still look genuinely affectionate as a couple

It’s the children. I suspect he’s realised what he’s taken on, so late in life (relatively)

Leon said:

Fpt

BJ will have applied the philosophy to this that he applies to everything:

I got away with it all those other times so I’ll get away with it again.
    Boris also wrote his Monday Telegraph column on a Sunday afternoon.

He can't so easily hide away on a Sunday nowadays as Carrie is aware of that trick.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Late 50s at that. These new kids will still only be in their mid teens when he’s in his 70s

This is what I take from his “buyer’s remorse” remark. I don’t believe he regrets hooking up with Carrie. They still look genuinely affectionate as a couple

It’s the children. I suspect he’s realised what he’s taken on, so late in life (relatively)
    Should have had the snip then...

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Disagree.

Second, I can’t see a consensus for any single alternative emerging in the backbench ranks.

I think it all goes back to his "legacy" he wants to be remembered as the PM who "got Brexit done" where Theresa May couldn't. It's no use getting it done and then having his successor unwind it. Especially if said successor is in the Theresa May wing of the party.

I also don't think he's got the courage to resign before he gets pushed. We've seen it time and again that he has a severe case of indecisiveness, he simply seems unable to make any decision until the very last moment (and then sometimes still not really). The Tory party will move faster than he is able to come to a decision to resign before he's pushed, especially with the new northern MPs looking at their own majorities.
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Disagree.

I think it all goes back to his "legacy" he wants to be remembered as the PM who "got Brexit done" where Theresa May couldn't. It's no use getting it done and then having his successor unwind it. Especially if said successor is in the Theresa May wing of the party.

I also don't think he's got the courage to resign before he gets pushed. We've seen it time and again that he has a severe case of indecisiveness, he simply seems unable to make any decision until the very last moment (and then sometimes still not really). The Tory party will move faster than he is able to come to a decision to resign before he's pushed, especially with the new northern MPs looking at their own majorities.
    No future Tory leader will ever get elected promising to unwind Brexit now.

Even Starmer would not do so as it would be political suicide in the RedWall and Labour is moving towards closer alignment to the SM and CU for the UK without full EEA and FoM rather than reversing Brexit. Davey too has also abandoned Rejoin and the LDs position is largely EEA for now
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think this will be the major motivating factor, in the end. It must hurt him that he's having to live off handouts from donors and "friends" much wealthier than he is when previously he was easily earning seven figures annually from media appearances and writing. Being PM has probably cut his income by 90% or more, so much that he can't even go on a pretty basic holiday to Spain without a handout. He's become a pauper among his own friends who already probably look down on him for not being old money and having to previously work for a living rather than live off their family wealth.
    Somebody who earns 160 grand/year can afford a "pretty basic holiday to Spain" without poncing off his Eskimo brother like Johnson did.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    BBCLaura: Tory MPs were worried last week that No 10 was losing its grip - not sure any of them will feel better if they were watching this morning’s speech …
    edited November 2021

Leon said:

Fpt

I am sure they can afford nannies.

One of my late grandfathers had a child in his 50s with a younger wife but again they could afford a nanny at that time. For most people though yes without major child support it can be a burden and even with a nanny you still have to support them through school and maybe university
    Hungary: 27,200 cases, 392 deaths

Appalling. And their worst figures of the entire pandemic

Imagine if the UK right now was recording 170,000 cases and 2400 deaths. In a day

How can they avoid another lockdown?
  • HYUFD said:

LDs could fall to the bottom - its called deliberately not campaigning.

Go on then. Tell us all how it doesn't matter that Boris can't manage a speech without making some stupid kids TV show joke or turning from one page to the other because actually its only the CBI and actually this poll shows that people don't care about business.
    Johnson certainly doesn’t.

“Fuck business” he said.
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

One of my late grandfathers had a child in his 50s with a younger wife but again they could afford a nanny at that time. For most people though yes without major child support it can be a burden and even with a nanny you still have to support them through school and maybe university
    A full time nanny in London is going to set you back 40k or so (in post tax income) by the time you add employer’s NI etc etc.
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

A full time nanny in London is going to set you back 40k or so (in post tax income) by the time you add employer’s NI etc etc.
    Yes and Boris earns £160 k a year, has a mansion in the country and a large town house in central London neither of which he pays any rent for or has a mortgage on. So should be no problem while he remains PM
    MaxPB said:

Updated chart:

Today, Boris Johnson has tied Henry Campbell-Bannerman on 852 days as Prime Minister.

The dates on which Boris Johnson ties the following...

Gordon Brown - 07/06/2022
    Neville Chamberlain - 06/07/2022
    Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Updated chart:

Today, Boris Johnson has tied Henry Campbell-Bannerman on 852 days as Prime Minister.

Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    A crowd in which Boris deserves to be placed.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Yes and Boris earns £160 k a year, has a mansion in the country and a large town house in central London neither of which he pays any rent for or has a mortgage on. So should be no problem
    Don’t they maintain that place in Peckham? From memory he had a decent mortgage on that.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Impossible to know. Boris may be one of those characters who quite likes having a horde of kids swarming around. Suspect he has happy memories of his own childhood with numerous siblings about the place.
  • mickydroy said:

Ask yourself who the alternative was and who bears responsibility for that?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Yes and Boris earns £160 k a year, has a mansion in the country and a large town house in central London neither of which he pays any rent for or has a mortgage on. So should be no problem
    Don’t they maintain that place in Peckham? From memory he had a decent mortgage on that.
    I would imagine they have a tenant paying rent their now.

Hence even more incentive to stay PM
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

How many lots of school fees is he paying, and alimony to the ex?

I reckon he’s pretty constrained by his income, which is considerably less than when he was a backbencher and the Telegraph were giving him five grand a week.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Yes and Boris earns £160 k a year, has a mansion in the country and a large town house in central London neither of which he pays any rent for or has a mortgage on. So should be no problem while he remains PM
    He also has shit loads of child support payments from previous dalliances.
  • No, but this will reassure Tory voters and MPs.

Pensioners could still have to sell their homes to pay for social care

The government cannot rule out some people having to sell their homes to pay for care under cost-saving reforms that will hit poorer pensioners, a minister has suggested.

Paul Scully, a business minister, promised only that there would be “fewer people selling their houses”. It will add to unease over a damaging Tory rebellion against changes that were slipped out last week.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-faces-tory-dissent-over-social-care-plans-kspxk3dtb
  • tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Updated chart:

Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    Those three dates are nicely clustered for Boris to announce his resignation in late spring with a leadership contest to be decided in the autumn (although he will need to beware the Cameron/May precedent where the succession was decided unexpectedly early). An autumn exit would also be nicely timed for a lecture tour of well-endowed American universities.
    edited November 2021
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

I reckon he’s pretty constrained by his income, which is considerably less than when he was a backbencher and the Telegraph were giving him five grand a week.
    If Boris wants to command the millions on the lecture circuit he wants after No 10 he also needs to stay there for at minimum 5 to 10 years to get anywhere near the fees Blair or Thatcher got on the lecture circuit, especially in the US.

That means staying at least until the next GE if not beyond.

Those PMs who served less than 5 years eg Brown and May command significantly lower fees than Blair gets or Thatcher got on the lecture circuit and Major and Cameron too are not in the Blair and Thatcher league of speaking fees (albeit Major got some extra income from Carlyle group)
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    Boris's gift is that he can, metaphorically, get away with murder, because he's a bit of a lad and 'one of us'.

He waffles on about Peppa Pig, makes strange noises, rambles and loses his place - but he's great.
    Ed Miliband eats a bacon sandwich, rather clumsily - he's finished.
    Kinnock slips on the beach and tries to gee up an audience in Sheffield rather strangely - he's finished.

But I think the Boris act is beginning to wear thin with all but his most devout admirers.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Impossible to know. Boris may be one of those characters who quite likes having a horde of kids swarming around. Suspect he has happy memories of his own childhood with numerous siblings about the place.
    He hasn’t exactly gone out of his way to have his previous children ‘around’. Partly because some of them won’t have anything to do with him, TBF.

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Updated chart:

Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    Those three dates are nicely clustered for Boris to announce his resignation in late spring with a leadership contest to be decided in the autumn (although he will need to beware the Cameron/May precedent where the succession was decided unexpectedly early). An autumn exit would also be nicely timed for a lecture tour of well-endowed American universities.
    And not just universities!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Is this likely to increase the amount he is paid for his post-PM speeches or decrease it?

People like comedy Boris. If he can't keep his notes in order he's not likely to be able to do anything too harmful, seems to be part of the reasoning.

mickydroy said:

David Cameron?

mickydroy said:

David Cameron?
    Ed Miliband.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt

The available evidence suggests that BJ will make some quite strenuous efforts to avoid having hordes of his own kids around.
  • MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Two ex wives to pay for as well, plus there's tax and benefit-in-kind on the properties he gets to stay in.

When he released his tax returns in 2012 he showed he was a very financially disorganised man who wasn't tax efficient.

No, but this will reassure Tory voters and MPs.

The government cannot rule out some people having to sell their homes to pay for care under cost-saving reforms that will hit poorer pensioners, a minister has suggested.

Paul Scully, a business minister, promised only that there would be “fewer people selling their houses”. It will add to unease over a damaging Tory rebellion against changes that were slipped out last week.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-faces-tory-dissent-over-social-care-plans-kspxk3dtb

Yet most of them will not lose most of the value of their estate if they do, which is not the case now if they have to sell their home to pay for residential care
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

If Boris wants to command the millions on the lecture circuit he wants after No 10 he also needs to stay there for at minimum 5 to 10 years to get anywhere near the fees Blair or Thatcher got on the lecture circuit, especially in the US.

That means staying at least until the next GE if not beyond.

Those PMs who served less than 5 years eg Brown and May command significantly lower fees than Blair gets or Thatcher got on the lecture circuit and Major and Cameron too are not in the Blair and Thatcher league of speaking fees
    I don't really think so. Brand Boris is incredibly strong, certainly compared to Broon and May. No need to hang around for extra profile.

BTW, if there is one prime ministerial tenure he would be keen to beat, I think it's probably Cameron. But given that he got "Brexit done", and finished the process inadvertently begun by DC, I'm not clear why he would be all that bothered.
    tlg86 said:

mickydroy said:

David Cameron?
    Ed Miliband.
    It all started going tits in 2010 when Alan Johnson decided he didn’t have the stones to run for leader.
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

It’s not the financial issues - tho they are a factor - it’s the physical and emotional demands of parenting. And these are now much greater on fathers than they were.

In Victorian times a rich father could get away with seeing the bairns for 10 minutes a day and maybe an hour at the weekend. Then you packed them off to boarding school at 7. Incredible, really. And cruel

Carrie won’t stand for that. She’s a modern mum. She will expect Boris to pitch in, or else. And it is showing.
  • bulb has gone
  • HYUFD said:

Yet most of them will not lose most of the value of their estate if they do, which is not the case now if they have to sell their home to pay for residential care
    Remember how politically tone deaf you were on the Owen Paterson scandal (the government has a majority so that makes it ok)? This is that on speed.

Paul Scully was on R4 this morning. He was absolutely dreadful - just embarrassing. They're struggling if that's the best they can send out.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

mickydroy said:

Jeremy Hunt, Conservative members.
    Next.
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    RE: last thread

It flashed up on CNN that Biden has apparently told allies that he is intending to run in 2024
    Boris has a house in Oxfordshire, doesn’t he?
    So that’s council tax, utilities and repairs as well.
  • MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Does he? Surely Boris's and Marina's spawn are now adults. Not sure about the rest, mind.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Might it encourage him to keep on as PM for as long as possible?

If he gives it up he had fewer excuses for not looking after the children.

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Does he? Surely Boris's and Marina's spawn are now adults. Not sure about the rest, mind.
    It's the other ones.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited November 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt

The available evidence suggests that BJ will make some quite strenuous efforts to avoid having hordes of his own kids around.
    Remember Fathers For Justice? Those guys would climb skyscrapers to get access to their kids. Boris is the opposite.

bulb has gone

A bid for the most surreal comment ever on PB?

bulb has gone

I used to work next to Bulb in a very fashionable co-working space.

Could never figure out why they used it to host their entire call centre operations, employing expensive, London-based call operators.
  • MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

There was a Sunday Times article a while back which said his ex wife took him to the cleaners (never piss off a barrister.)

In short he'll still be paying for the kids (apparently he had promised them their first deposits, etc) and she'll have his nuts in a financial vice for the rest of the life because he didn't pay his fair share on the mortgage etc during the marriage.
  • IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Updated chart:

Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    And not just universities!
    It would not surprise me if Boris ends up as a moosehead professor somewhere in the States, paid north of a million dollars a year in return for a couple of amusing speeches on Greeks and Churchill.

bulb has gone

It needed a bit more context.

The energy company Bulb has gone in administration. Because it's got 1.7million customers (and currently no body wants any of them) the company will continue to run as is.
  • JBriskin3 said:

RE: last thread

It flashed up on CNN that Biden has apparently told allies that he is intending to run in 2024

MRDA surely? Otherwise he'd become a lame duck overnight.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    'You lost your notes, you lost your place, you went off on a tangent about Peppa Pig - frankly, is everything okay?'

Boris Johnson says his speech to the CBI 'went over well' after a reporter asks about him appearing to lose track of his notes https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1462765158925746178/video/1
    A German health minister telling it like it is. Bravo

“Health minister tells Germans they will all either have 'been vaccinated, recovered or died' from Covid by the end of winter””

(Guardian)

edited November 2021

bulb has gone

Could never figure out why they used it to host their entire call centre operations, employing expensive, London-based call operators.
    They pitched themselves as an "energy startup" but really it was just a call centre, some branding and unsustainable prices to get customers via comparison sites.

The whole sector just seems to be built on sand, I'm not surprised they're all going bankrupt.
  • ...er..skills... er...the people, that you all er need........it is an astonishing fact that er er er...an incompetent twat who has 40% less credibility than er er er our competitors in Europe er er er ...... can become Prime Minister.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Suspect he has happy memories of his own childhood with numerous siblings about the place.
    That and his old man walking around Billy bollocks and fucking the help.
  • bulb has gone

I thought it was quite a subtle comment on BJ's enervation!
  • tlg86 said:

mickydroy said:

David Cameron?
    Ed Miliband.
    It all started going tits in 2010 when Alan Johnson decided he didn’t have the stones to run for leader.
    I think he realised, as did many others, that he didn't have the brains for leader. He was much more self aware than Mr. Thicky Corbyn, who made Alan Johnson look like an intellectual colossus.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Updated chart:

Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    Won't the wokesters try and cancel him ?
  • On topic, he's just not up to it.
    MaxPB said:

bulb has gone

They pitched themselves as an "energy startup" but really it was just a call centre, some branding and unsustainable prices to get customers via comparison sites.

The whole sector just seems to be built on sand, I'm not surprised they're all going bankrupt.
    What terrifies me, in my advancing years, is just how many businesses are smoke and mirrors.

I’m not saying Bulb was a scam, just that the “market” was clearly incentivising simple marketing over innovation or productivity.
  • Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

It’s not the financial issues - tho they are a factor - it’s the physical and emotional demands of parenting. And these are now much greater on fathers than they were.

In Victorian times a rich father could get away with seeing the bairns for 10 minutes a day and maybe an hour at the weekend. Then you packed them off to boarding school at 7. Incredible, really. And cruel

Carrie won’t stand for that. She’s a modern mum. She will expect Boris to pitch in, or else. And it is showing.
    Two of our last three Prime Ministers were packed off to boarding school at seven or eight, and probably nearly all the rest before Wilson. Pitt the Younger was home-schooled iirc from the ITV series.
    Farooq said:

mickydroy said:

Jeremy Hunt, Conservative members.
    Next.
    The alternative was Corbyn who Hunt, unlike Boris, would probably have not won a majority against as he would have had less appeal in the RedWall and the Brexit Party would have stood candidates in Tory held seats as they did not do with Boris, hence the Tories would have lost more seats to the LDs too
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    There was a specific moment in 2007 when the media decided Gordon Brown was a chancer and probably a loser (when he went to Iraq), and from then on it was open season. Feels today like we've reached this point with Boris http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7023735.stm
This discussion has been closed.