Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Reassuring CON voters 3 days before the Bexley by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Boarding school can be the making of some people, can be horrible for some people, and all shades in between. Just like any school experience.

The corollary of saying how selfish it is for parents to send their children away to boarding school is to say how selfish it is for parents to stunt their children's growth by having them around as playthings rather than letting them develop on their own.

I make no comment on the benefit or disadvantages of boarding schools just that it is not all oh how Victorian.

That's like saying cold showers can be good for small children, or Spartan babycare (expose them on mountains!), or constant flogging makes boys disciplined

Well, yes. But common sense says kids at the age of 7 should not be separated from their parents for months on end, especially the mothers. Some will thrive, most will survive, a large minority will be damaged

As they reach their teens it is different, as we have all agreed
    Damaged. Taking hallucinogenic drugs, getting sent to jail, going on benders and blacking out from time to time in the course of a rich and varied career flint knapping damaged you mean.
    When did I ever say I was UNdamaged? lol

I'm a fricking basket case (who has has an enormous amount of fun). That doesn't mean I can't see bad, selfish parenting. Boarding school at 7 is it, with some exceptions
    Why is it not selfish to force your children to be with you the whole time instead of allowing them to become independent away from you for part of the year.
    At the age of..... seven??

Children of 7 like being with Mum and Dad. In my experience. That's not "forcing" kids to stay home the whole time - they still go to school. This is just letting kids be their normal selves. Most kids want Mum and warmth and safety at the end of the day. They're 7, FFS

I guess we are simply of totally different mindsets and I find yours utterly incomprehensible, so there isn't much room for debate, and we may as well desist
    Topping is perhaps one of those who thrived ?
    I loathed the experience.
    As I said from the outset I make no judgement, just that there are alternative views. And experiences.

I am not judging you. You clearly thrived, as Nigel says. Good for you

However as this is a betting website, I would wager that 80%+ of humanity agrees with me, not you: don't send your kids away at the age of 7, to live with other people, unless there is some overwhelming need
    Everyone’s experiences are different.

My school had a small boarding contingent and, personally, at the end of every school day I envied that they got to stay in school while I had to go home.
    You could have half an hour kip at lunchtime too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,479
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Boarding school can be the making of some people, can be horrible for some people, and all shades in between. Just like any school experience.

The corollary of saying how selfish it is for parents to send their children away to boarding school is to say how selfish it is for parents to stunt their children's growth by having them around as playthings rather than letting them develop on their own.

I make no comment on the benefit or disadvantages of boarding schools just that it is not all oh how Victorian.

That's like saying cold showers can be good for small children, or Spartan babycare (expose them on mountains!), or constant flogging makes boys disciplined

Well, yes. But common sense says kids at the age of 7 should not be separated from their parents for months on end, especially the mothers. Some will thrive, most will survive, a large minority will be damaged

Damaged. Taking hallucinogenic drugs, getting sent to jail, going on benders and blacking out from time to time in the course of a rich and varied career flint knapping damaged you mean.

I'm a fricking basket case (who has has an enormous amount of fun). That doesn't mean I can't see bad, selfish parenting. Boarding school at 7 is it, with some exceptions
    Why is it not selfish to force your children to be with you the whole time instead of allowing them to become independent away from you for part of the year.

Children of 7 like being with Mum and Dad. In my experience. That's not "forcing" kids to stay home the whole time - they still go to school. This is just letting kids be their normal selves. Most kids want Mum and warmth and safety at the end of the day. They're 7, FFS

I guess we are simply of totally different mindsets and I find yours utterly incomprehensible, so there isn't much room for debate, and we may as well desist
    As I said from the outset I make no judgement, just that there are alternative views. And experiences.

However as this is a betting website, I would wager that 80%+ of humanity agrees with me, not you: don't send your kids away at the age of 7, to live with other people, unless there is some overwhelming need
    At least three of the staff subsequently did 5-10 stretches for sex crimes, which probably isn't quite so much of a thing today.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279
    edited November 2021

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Don't you think he looks tired?

Fpt

Its the kids. Boris strikes me as the kind of selfish but charismatic chancer who has always managed to dodge most paternal duties - I don’t mean simply ignoring bastard offspring but always having something more important to do just as the wife needs help with nappies

But this time he can’t dodge. Carrie looks pretty assertive. He’s in the public spotlight. He’s stuck at Number 10. All = a lack of sleep which is ageing him by a decade in a year
    I think that's right. Having kids in your 50s isn't that smart because they so disrupt your life.
    I am sure they can afford nannies.

One of my late grandfathers had a child in his 50s with a younger wife but again they could afford a nanny at that time. For most people though yes without major child support it can be a burden and even with a nanny you still have to support them through school and maybe university
    It’s not the financial issues - tho they are a factor - it’s the physical and emotional demands of parenting. And these are now much greater on fathers than they were.

In Victorian times a rich father could get away with seeing the bairns for 10 minutes a day and maybe an hour at the weekend. Then you packed them off to boarding school at 7. Incredible, really. And cruel

Carrie won’t stand for that. She’s a modern mum. She will expect Boris to pitch in, or else. And it is showing.
    Two of our last three Prime Ministers were packed off to boarding school at seven or eight, and probably nearly all the rest before Wilson. Pitt the Younger was home-schooled iirc from the ITV series.
    I don't understand parents, esp a mother, who will happily post their children to faraway places when the kids are about 7. And not see them for months, or years

7? It's an adorable age. That's when kids are most fun - from about 6 to 10. Inquiring, amusing, eager, cute, unpredictable, yet still with that precious innocence.

15 or 17 is different, of course.

I am sure plenty of kids benefit from the bracing cruelty of boarding school at age 7. Makes you independent, blah blah

But I have friends who absolutely hated it, and who have blamed and despised their parents ever since
    What is the point of having kids and packing them off to boarding school? If you want to have a relaxing time then don't have kids. You are right about the 6-10 age range. My eldest is coming up for 13 and the experience with her is totally different now!

My wife went to several boarding schools primarily because her father was often working in different jobs in Europe and it provided her some stability. There are some circumstances like that where they fulfil a need. In most cases though I feel it is for parents with lots of money so they can carry on living a life as if they didn't have kids for 2/3rds of the year.

I can understand how Boris is knackered. My kids are 12, 8 and 4 and I regularly get woken at 4.30am in the morning by the youngest, work during the day and at the end of the day act as a taxi service for kids activities. Often I don't get in from them until 9pm. I'm often in bed before the oldest one. At least I don't have to worry about being Prime Minister too!
    Agreed. Our children bring us so much happiness, even if they're hard work at times. The idea of sending them away is just mind-boggling to me. Boarding school for primary school aged children seems pretty close to child abuse or neglect. For older children it may be okay but it's sad for the parents to miss out on such an interesting time in their children's lives. And I think taking the children out of the family relationship perhaps harms their ability to form healthy stable relationships themselves later in life (see eg the PM).
    As I said you are looking at this mainly from the parents' perspective, not the child's.

"...bring us so much happiness..." "...sad for the parents..."

You aren't sending them away for ever there are plenty of exeats and so forth and holidays for family relationships. And in the meantime they are learning self-sufficiency and making lifelong friendships and are with their friends all the time.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

https://tinyurl.com/367jd8e3

Health minister tells Germans they will either have 'been vaccinated, recovered or died' from Covid by end of winter

I think an Oxford comma would have been useful in that headline.

Indeed.

Talking about Oxford, next summer I have to spend 3 nights in that city.

Can PBers recommend any good places and restaurants to visit in the area.
    The prison has been converted into an hotel - it is at least very close to the railway station FWIW. I have never stayed there, in current or previous incarnation. So cannot rate either.

Last time I went to see my old friends we had lunch here - pre covid though so no comment on current state (and other places have higherr star markings, though it was a particularly good Sunday lunch that I recall).

https://www.geesrestaurant.co.uk/food-and-drink/

As others have said, the Ashmolean, University Museum of Natural History and its adjacent Pitt-Rivers are great, the UMNH for its architecture; but don't omit the Bodleian and Radcliffe Camera if you have not been. Ashmolean Museum of [edit] Hiustory of Science is small but might appeal.

The pubs have changed a lot from my younger days seeing my friends (I liked the one which hard draught scrumpy and draught milk for the rowing teams in training). But it's worth taking a walk along the rivers - go down Cherwell at Magdalen/Botanic Gardens to Thames/Isis at the college boathouses them upstream in the canal/railway corridor to Port Meadow (pub on opposite side at Binsey: Perch it is called IIRC). Further north will take you to the Trout as HYUFD says.

I've stayed at the Oxford Malmaison before, very surreal to stay in a hotel that was a former prison.
    Trust me it's not as strange as the Four Seasons in Istanbul which was the Sultanahmet Jail..
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Why oh dear oh dear. It's the same with the N-word. If you ain't you can't; if you are you can. Logical? Perhaps not but this is where we are. Or to put it on a sounder theoretical basis, reclaim the term to detoxify it (cf Tottenham Hotspur).
    Spurs' reclaiming of the term in question has done nothing to detoxify it; if anything the reverse. I thought you were currently a fan of David Baddiel's works? He has been very vocal about the confusion that arises on this exact point, that if a word is considered taboo then no-one should use it, even in a pseudo-positive sense, and if they do it becomes much harder to explain to the general population why they shouldn't.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

Photo op with with Trump on the cards?

Now he's a celebrity and probably going to get very rich off of his fame.

'Murican dream.
    Book n biopic in the works. That and the Smith & Wesson roving ambassador gig.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

At least three of the staff subsequently did 5-10 stretches for sex crimes, which probably isn't quite so much of a thing today.
    Ampleforth?

I’m glad I was a good Muslim boy in my youth, thus ruling out that place.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

80% of humanity. That's a high bar. Let me know the terms of the bet and the evidence required.
    I think I'm touching on some personal issues here, and I genuinely have no desire to do that. It's too early in the day!

I must attend to my flints. Later
    LOL so no wager then. That's a shame what with PB being a betting site an' all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    64% of voters back a Covid booster jab mandate for people to visit restaurants and use public transport
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1462780410556043278?s=20
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Why oh dear oh dear. It's the same with the N-word. If you ain't you can't; if you are you can. Logical? Perhaps not but this is where we are. Or to put it on a sounder theoretical basis, reclaim the term to detoxify it (cf Tottenham Hotspur).
    Spurs' reclaiming of the term in question has done nothing to detoxify it; if anything the reverse. I thought you were currently a fan of David Baddiel's works? He has been very vocal about the confusion that arises on this exact point, that if a word is considered taboo then no-one should use it, even in a pseudo-positive sense, and if they do it becomes much harder to explain to the general population why they shouldn't.
    Yes actually good point I will go and re-read that bit. I suppose it is from a position of it existing what now. And we are still in the situation with the N-word.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911

isam said:

Am I the only one on here here nether went to boarding school nor is on an opinion pollster's speed dial?

You're the only one here who seems to think "Starmer is crap" is an opinion worth sharing
    Just had a million pounds on Red Rum to win the 1973 Grand National with a mate!

Ker-ching!!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Am I the only one on here here nether went to boarding school nor is on an opinion pollster's speed dial?

You're the only one here who seems to think "Starmer is crap" is an opinion worth sharing
    Just had a million pounds on Red Rum to win the 1973 Grand National with a mate!

Ker-ching!!
    Fantastic bet, well done you
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Ampleforth?

No, probably more than three there.
    The acoustic in the chapel is quite extraordinary, though.
  • Options
    Such an odd thing to get hung up on, the value of a bet. When not only was I right - twice in a row - I won money which I've spent on a significant amount of booze. Some people are odd
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960

TimS said:

I couldn't find any mention of the Boris gaffe on the Beeb website, at least not yet. Perhaps Nadine has "had a word".

They do sometimes take their time to report new news though.

I think they did report the speech on an earlier bulletin on the radio but it was just an excerpt of whatever green guff BJ had decided to insert today, no gaffes mentioned.
    If Nadine hasn't 'had a word', someone has. The BBC has gone noticeably more pro Government and the Conservative party of late.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Its the kids. Boris strikes me as the kind of selfish but charismatic chancer who has always managed to dodge most paternal duties - I don’t mean simply ignoring bastard offspring but always having something more important to do just as the wife needs help with nappies

But this time he can’t dodge. Carrie looks pretty assertive. He’s in the public spotlight. He’s stuck at Number 10. All = a lack of sleep which is ageing him by a decade in a year
    I think that's right. Having kids in your 50s isn't that smart because they so disrupt your life.

One of my late grandfathers had a child in his 50s with a younger wife but again they could afford a nanny at that time. For most people though yes without major child support it can be a burden and even with a nanny you still have to support them through school and maybe university
    It’s not the financial issues - tho they are a factor - it’s the physical and emotional demands of parenting. And these are now much greater on fathers than they were.

In Victorian times a rich father could get away with seeing the bairns for 10 minutes a day and maybe an hour at the weekend. Then you packed them off to boarding school at 7. Incredible, really. And cruel

Carrie won’t stand for that. She’s a modern mum. She will expect Boris to pitch in, or else. And it is showing.
    Two of our last three Prime Ministers were packed off to boarding school at seven or eight, and probably nearly all the rest before Wilson. Pitt the Younger was home-schooled iirc from the ITV series.
    I don't understand parents, esp a mother, who will happily post their children to faraway places when the kids are about 7. And not see them for months, or years

7? It's an adorable age. That's when kids are most fun - from about 6 to 10. Inquiring, amusing, eager, cute, unpredictable, yet still with that precious innocence.

I am sure plenty of kids benefit from the bracing cruelty of boarding school at age 7. Makes you independent, blah blah

But I have friends who absolutely hated it, and who have blamed and despised their parents ever since
    What is the point of having kids and packing them off to boarding school? If you want to have a relaxing time then don't have kids. You are right about the 6-10 age range. My eldest is coming up for 13 and the experience with her is totally different now!

My wife went to several boarding schools primarily because her father was often working in different jobs in Europe and it provided her some stability. There are some circumstances like that where they fulfil a need. In most cases though I feel it is for parents with lots of money so they can carry on living a life as if they didn't have kids for 2/3rds of the year.

I can understand how Boris is knackered. My kids are 12, 8 and 4 and I regularly get woken at 4.30am in the morning by the youngest, work during the day and at the end of the day act as a taxi service for kids activities. Often I don't get in from them until 9pm. I'm often in bed before the oldest one. At least I don't have to worry about being Prime Minister too!
    Agreed. Our children bring us so much happiness, even if they're hard work at times. The idea of sending them away is just mind-boggling to me. Boarding school for primary school aged children seems pretty close to child abuse or neglect. For older children it may be okay but it's sad for the parents to miss out on such an interesting time in their children's lives. And I think taking the children out of the family relationship perhaps harms their ability to form healthy stable relationships themselves later in life (see eg the PM).
    As I said you are looking at this mainly from the parents' perspective, not the child's.

You aren't sending them away for ever there are plenty of exeats and so forth and holidays for family relationships. And in the meantime they are learning self-sufficiency and making lifelong friendships and are with their friends all the time.
    And their enemies.
  • Options

Such an odd thing to get hung up on, the value of a bet. When not only was I right - twice in a row - I won money which I've spent on a significant amount of booze. Some people are odd

Just had 18k with a mate that you'd say that, at 10/3
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    God that Starmer quote is so dull. This is why Boris still isn't out of the running despite being a massive c***. He's literally facing the world's most boring lawyer who's got nothing to say.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Ampleforth?

No, probably more than three there.
    The acoustic in the chapel is quite extraordinary, though.
    I knew somebody who went there and they had a teaching section in a yearbook and I was shocked by how many on that page were convinced or were suspected of abuse.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fpt

And their enemies.
    Yes that is also true.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

'Murican dream.
    "I murdered some libtards and now I get to fly across the country to eat ribs"
  • Options
    isam said:

Do you find that repeating the same joke over and over makes people like you?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,596
    Bulb goes into administration.

As the Not the Nine O'clock News parody of That's Life put it:

'We phoned the electricity board'

'They said "This has absolutely nothing to do with us"'

Privatisation. Still going well.
  • Options

Yes, it is. Bulb shareholders and bondholders are now going to be wiped out because they ran an unsustainable business built on sand.
  • Options

Farooq said:

'Murican dream.
    "I murdered some libtards and now I get to fly across the country to eat ribs"
    Lawfully shot, please.
    That he is being celebrated as some kind of a hero by national representatives is just sick.
  • Options
    I remember being 7 or 8 and mum and dad threatening to "send me to boarding school" if I was naughty :lol:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

I remember being 7 or 8 and mum and dad threatening to "send me to boarding school" if I was naughty :lol:

Whereas she could have just made you do the garden?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,321
    MaxPB said:

Yes, it is. Bulb shareholders and bondholders are now going to be wiped out because they ran an unsustainable business built on sand.
    No, no, no.

A Proper Privatisation socialises the loses and privatises the profits. See PFI.

A privatisation that privates the profits and the loses - that's Incontheeeevable.
  • Options

isam said:

So far, so good
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Seriously though, who the fuck talks about fiduciary duty outside of regulatory or legal meetings? It's a concept lost on 90% of the nation just after the PM shat the bed. Starmer had an opportunity to soundbite his way into the news, be the slick PM in waiting we all need to get Boris out. "I have three F words for you, foreign investment, foreign investment, foreign investment. Labour will create the most investor friendly economy in the world, we will ensure that high value goods and services are created here in the UK by the world's most productive and best educated workforce" is what he should have said.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

God that Starmer quote is so dull. This is why Boris still isn't out of the running despite being a massive c***. He's literally facing the world's most boring lawyer who's got nothing to say.

• Options
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183
    edited November 2021
    Off topic - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/nov/22/lake-distict-walking-cumbria-england-coast-path

Of course the beach and walks south of Silecroft are even better with SSI's and bird reserves!

The mountain in the distance is Black Combe at the head of the Whicham valley. I lived in a barn halfway up it for a year. On a clear day you can see both Scotland and Blackpool from the top.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sir K says be my guest Nigel!!!
  • Options
    isam said:

His opponents just have to show that footage of him squealing like a besotted groupie when Trump flew in. Surely that would shred his reputation in Blighty for ever.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Seriously though, who the fuck talks about fiduciary duty outside of regulatory or legal meetings? It's a concept lost on 90% of the nation just after the PM shat the bed. Starmer had an opportunity to soundbite his way into the news, be the slick PM in waiting we all need to get Boris out. "I have three F words for you, foreign investment, foreign investment, foreign investment. Labour will create the most investor friendly economy in the world, we will ensure that high value goods and services are created here in the UK by the world's most productive and best educated workforce" is what he should have said.

Starmer looking more and more like caretaker leader between the clusterf*ck of Corbyn and the woman leader who might actually have a chance of winning an election.

But he still has time to turn it around. Putting Reeves in as shad CoE was at least a move in right direction.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited November 2021

How much of the 2019 result was anti-Corby rather than pro-Johnson and how much is this being proven with the now level pegging in the polls?

Mike has flagged it up for a while, it was Corbyn not Brexit.

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1293086615758413824
    That’s a very interesting graph. Thank you!

On Boris gaff, the Peppa Pig adlib seemed a bit rehearsed and coherent? Meanwhile when delivering the actual speech does it come across to you, like Grannt Shapps last week Boris using the idea of delivered for just ongoing promises and aims? Is this the bit that will wear thin in the end, clock ticking on delivery?
  • Options

isam said:

His opponents just have to show that footage of him squealing like a besotted groupie when Trump flew in. Surely that would shred his reputation in Blighty for ever.
    Or wheel out Farage's anti-semitic comments. As Corbyn eventually found out that eventually costs you votes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

90%???

It's a concept lost on 90% of trust lawyers. And the Court of Appeal, on occasion.

So perhaps 99.999% would be more apppropriate.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,126
    isam said:

isam said:

Ker-ching!!
    Considering Horse has opened up on here about trying to overcome his mental health issues, I find your regular digs at him somewhat counter productive, perhaps verging on bullying.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

They were allowed to run an unsustainable business by the regulator? Discuss.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    I cant see NF proving a credible threat to the Tories, without Brussels to bash NF is a rather lone voice. Its probably more to do with hard cash on the speaking circuit.... Boris should be more concerned about his grandee backbenchers....
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    MaxPB said:

That bank manager in the Mary Poppins film?

Ah. I see the problem.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Ker-ching!!
    Considering Horse has opened up on here about trying to overcome his mental health issues, I find your regular digs at him somewhat counter productive, perhaps verging on bullying.
    We all just thought it was his posting style.
  • Options
    All children should be removed from their parents at birth and brought up in state institutions until the age of 18.

It's the only way to create a level playing field and give the offspring of feckless scrotes the same chances as those born to poshos and the sharp-elbowed brigade.

It's either that or mass sterilisation to facilitate the eradication of humankind. You can't say that I don't offer the voters a choice.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

90%???

It's a concept lost on 90% of trust lawyers. And the Court of Appeal, on occasion.

It is slightly less niche than Mishconduct, but only very slightly.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,149

isam said:

Well to be fair you seem keen on posting Johnson is crap quite a lot. Now, tbf its true, he is, but it shouldn't let others post their opinions too... :)

(And its good to have you back posting, and hopefully feeling better. Stay well.)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

90%???

I was prepared to give BoJo the benefit of the doubt on that one and assume that the joke was understood by its singular intended recipient.

I didn't even get it the first time, and I was a vac scheme student there...!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,149

isam said:

Secret of comedy is repetition (see literally all comedy, but especially The Fast Show).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,999
    edited November 2021

I cant see NF proving a credible threat to the Tories, without Brussels to bash NF is a rather lone voice. Its probably more to do with hard cash on the speaking circuit.... Boris should be more concerned about his grandee backbenchers....

No, there is an opening now - because of the boats crossing the Channel

Again I point to this as being more important than sleaze, in destroying the Tories' reputation. If the bloody Tories can't control the borders, what is the point of them, and in what way have the got Brexit "done"?

It's absolutely toxic. What the answer is, I dunno, but the Tories need to find one, fast. All Farage has to do is gesture and jeer and he could get 2m votes
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Especially when you consider that you're likely sending your children away to be raped at some point, if you send them to boarding school.
    Wow. I want to a (state) boarding school for seven years. I can honestly say I never heard the slightest whiff of a suggestion of anyone being raped. That's not to say everyone liked it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

They were allowed to run an unsustainable business by the regulator? Discuss.
    The market has found things that regulators didn't know about or think of. Discuss.
  • Options

All children should be removed from their parents at birth and brought up in state institutions until the age of 18.

It's the only way to create a level playing field and give the offspring of feckless scrotes the same chances as those born to poshos and the sharp-elbowed brigade.

It's either that or mass sterilisation to facilitate the eradication of humankind. You can't say that I don't offer the voters a choice.

Not far off!

https://www.marxists.org/archive/kollonta/1920/communism-family.htm
  • Options
    JonWC said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Especially when you consider that you're likely sending your children away to be raped at some point, if you send them to boarding school.
    Wow. I want to a (state) boarding school for seven years. I can honestly say I never heard the slightest whiff of a suggestion of anyone being raped. That's not to say everyone liked it.
    Genuine LOL
  • Options
    If TSE is still wanting recommendations for places to eat in Oxford then I can suggest The Turf (good luck finding it though), The Kings Arms, and (non pub) the Nosebag.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

isam said:

Secret of comedy is repetition (see literally all comedy, but especially The Fast Show).
    That may suit you sir, but I’ve actually been down a hole, in the dark, with an owl.

Get well soon Horse! And keep posting! I love to see your happy horse! 🤠
  • Options
    Leon said:

JonWC said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Genuine LOL
    Ah there you are.

Now about our bet.

Let me know terms and the evidence required and I'll take a look.
  • Options

If TSE is still wanting recommendations for places to eat in Oxford then I can suggest The Turf (good luck finding it though), The Kings Arms, and (non pub) the Nosebag.

I am, thank you.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

90%???

Half a day it seems is a long time in politics.

Before lunch some were dumbfounded at Johnson's morning train wreck (tbh it didn't seem much worse than his previous train wrecks) which has now been explained on here pretty much as well rehearsed slapstick comedy genius, and Starmer's speech which went down well with the CBI, turns out to be high on the PB list of stinkers.

I am sure the issue will be clarified for me on tonight's TV news.
  • Options
    Hugo Gye
    @HugoGye
    ·
    55m
    Uptake of boosters in Flag of England among those eligible, per age group:
    50-54: 55%
    55-59: 60%
    60-64: 59%
    65-69: 70%
    70-74: 82%
    75-79: 91%
    80+: 87%

Looks like fears that large numbers of people would opt against getting a booster have proven to be unfounded.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

MaxPB said:

Starmer looking more and more like caretaker leader between the clusterf*ck of Corbyn and the woman leader who might actually have a chance of winning an election.

But he still has time to turn it around. Putting Reeves in as shad CoE was at least a move in right direction.
    If Labour want to genuinely win back all the RedWall (which is probably their only chance of getting most seats let alone a majority absent major gains in Scotland), then Burnham is still their best bet. However he is unlikely to try and return to the Commons until the next general election
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

I am, thank you.
    Apparently this is quite good:

https://www.no1-folly-bridge.co.uk/#about-the-restaurant

But I bet it's pricey.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

I’m doing it right now, hope you’re wrong
    I was the child of a man in his fifties. We were never a disruption. Or made to feel like one, more accurately. My father gloried in and loved family life and us.

The only downside is the risk of losing a parent too early. But even the short time I had with my father has sustained me for the rest of my life. So much of what I've learnt and tried to do was from him.

So just love your kids and don't worry about your age. You'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

isam said:

According to polls about 10% of UK voters would have voted for Trump if they were American even in 2020.

If Farage returned as RefUK leader and got them all to back him then RefUK would be close to UKIP 2015 levels, Farage's high point
  • Options

MaxPB said:

90%???

I was prepared to give BoJo the benefit of the doubt on that one and assume that the joke was understood by its singular intended recipient.

I didn't even get it the first time, and I was a vac scheme student there...!
    It was pointed out to me last Friday that Boris Johnson was married to a barrister for 25 years, he may have picked up the odd niche law joke.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I am, thank you.

But I bet it's pricey.
    £25 for a main, not bad.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

The Turf is quintessentially Oxford but if you go at a busy time be prepared to sharpen your elbows to get a table. No idea how they get deliveries to it as it is tucked away down down an alley (St. Helen's Passage) and not where it is shown on Google Maps. If out late at night The Varsity Club has a rooftop terrace with stunning views over the city.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    tlg86 said:

I am, thank you.

But I bet it's pricey.
    Menus at https://www.no1-folly-bridge.co.uk/menu - it's not that bad actually.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

I am, thank you.
    The White Horse as well and the Blue Boar for pubs. People rave about the refurbished Randolph.
  • Options
    "An exit wave was inevitable and it was better to have it in summer than in winter. We always knew that more people would die before the pandemic was over, not least because several million adults chose not to get vaccinated."

"Boris Johnson has made a lot of mistakes during the pandemic, but it is time to admit he got this one right."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/22/chaos-europe-proves-england-right-end-restrictions-summer/
  • Options
    MrEd said:

I am, thank you.
    The White Horse as well and the Blue Boar for pubs. People rave about the refurbished Randolph.
    I have my hotel shortlisted between the Randolph and the Old Parsonage.
  • Options

MrEd said:

I am, thank you.
    I have my hotel shortlisted between the Randolph and the Old Parsonage.
    Both very good options.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

I was the child of a man in his fifties. We were never a disruption. Or made to feel like one, more accurately. My father gloried in and loved family life and us.

The only downside is the risk of losing a parent too early. But even the short time I had with my father has sustained me for the rest of my life. So much of what I've learnt and tried to do was from him.

That's great, and heartening to hear - but I don't think iSam is in his late 50s, like Boris; I think he was kinda joking that he is a somewhat older father

If he is in his late 50s he looks exceptionally well preserved and he should be a YouTube influencer
  • Options
    OT, looks like the Waukesha SUV incident may have been a BLM supporter driving into the crowd. Funnily enough, Team Biden not saying much on this, unlike some of their previous interest in Wisconsin:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/politics/2020/09/02/the-latest-biden-to-visit-wisconsin-now-a-2020-flash-point/
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

RE: last thread

It flashed up on CNN that Biden has apparently told allies that he is intending to run in 2024

MRDA surely? Otherwise he'd become a lame duck overnight.
    Google is no help in me trying to solve your acronym.
    Mandy Rice-Davies applies, from an answer she gave in court during the Profumo Affair – he would say that, wouldn't he.
    Fair enough - that's a pretty obscure ref if you ask me.

The point you're making is of course correct.
    MRDA is often used on pb, like QTWAIN, AICMFP and, well, pb.

The Profumo Affair should be part of British folklore. A spy scandal with comic elements. A vengeful Establishment driving Ward to suicide. Walk-on parts for a slum landlord later to be notorious in his own right. The Home Secretary acting ultra vires. Two iconic moments: *that* photograph of Christine Keeler, and MRDA, which is where we came in, answering what may have been the most ill-considered question ever put in cross-examination. And the whole thing ruthlessly weaponised by Labour to end 13 years of Tory hegemony.
    The Profumo Affair does sound interesteing.

I'd also like to know more about the lavender list if that's not the same thing.
    The lavender list was Harold Wilson's resignation honours list, said to have been compiled by his very powerful secretary, Marcia Williams, on lavender-coloured notepaper.

Forgot to mention that the Profumo Affair also featured a stately home, nudity, a Cabinet Minister with a huge Johnson (pun intended) and the Royal Family lurking in the background.
    There's also the tarts, the JFK link and the man organising the orgies who was also an antiques dealer and sold my parents a beautiful George II bureau bookcase now sitting in my living-room. His daughter (legally not in reality) would stay with us when her parents were too busy with their shagathons.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,877
    The Men in Grey Suits are stirring...

Senior Downing St source says “there is a lot of concern inside the building about the PM....It’s just not working. Cabinet needs to wake up and demand serious changes otherwise it’ll keep getting worse. If they don’t insist, he just won’t do anything about it."
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1462810703358840838
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    AlistairM said:

The Turf is quintessentially Oxford but if you go at a busy time be prepared to sharpen your elbows to get a table. No idea how they get deliveries to it as it is tucked away down down an alley (St. Helen's Passage) and not where it is shown on Google Maps. If out late at night The Varsity Club has a rooftop terrace with stunning views over the city.
    Hell Passage, St. Helen's Passage is a gentrification
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Senior Downing St source says “there is a lot of concern inside the building about the PM....It’s just not working. Cabinet needs to wake up and demand serious changes otherwise it’ll keep getting worse. If they don’t insist, he just won’t do anything about it."

That's LauraK added to The Truss' Christmas card list.
  • Options

I am, thank you.
    If you like hearty food, the Magdalen Arms on the Iffley Road is very good.
    (Though nb post pandemic, I'd check that all these places are still fully operating.)

I'd avoid Folly Bridge personally, as it's tourist central, particularly in the summer.
  • Options

And Nadine's shit list...
  • Options
    MrEd said:

OT, looks like the Waukesha SUV incident may have been a BLM supporter driving into the crowd. Funnily enough, Team Biden not saying much on this, unlike some of their previous interest in Wisconsin:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/politics/2020/09/02/the-latest-biden-to-visit-wisconsin-now-a-2020-flash-point/

Your sources may be correct. I haven't found confirmation yet. I read it was someone fleeing from another incident. Thus it is probably a little on the early side for specific condemnation. If Biden doesn't condemn any group or individuals involved you have every right to claim inconsistency.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

I don’t worry about it really, day to day life I love it. Just when I think of how old I will be when they leave school, or that I will be the oldest Dad at Sports Day etc, (I was 44 and 46 when they were born) I hope they aren't embarrassed. If I am feeling inclined to be downbeat, I get angry with myself for not having started earlier as it means I will have less time with them. But if you had said to me when I was 43 with no girlfriend that at 46 I'd be a father of two I would have bit your hand off
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I am, thank you.
    If you like hearty food, the Magdalen Arms on the Iffley Road is very good.
    (Though nb post pandemic, I'd check that all these places are still fully operating.)

I'd avoid Folly Bridge personally, as it's tourist central, particularly in the summer.
    Ta, I think I'll definitely be going to the Folly Bridge, they have private domes by the river side and the other half loves that kind of stuff.
  • Options

Hugo Gye
    @HugoGye
    ·
    55m
    Uptake of boosters in Flag of England among those eligible, per age group:
    50-54: 55%
    55-59: 60%
    60-64: 59%
    65-69: 70%
    70-74: 82%
    75-79: 91%
    80+: 87%

Looks like fears that large numbers of people would opt against getting a booster have proven to be unfounded.

Erm, six months after second jab means that for age-group based jabees, almost no 50-60 year-olds will have been boosted yet so those statistics will be based mainly on high-risk groups who have more of an incentive, so what are we being shown?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800
    MrEd said:

I am, thank you.
    In Summer, the Trout at Godstow is a nice venue.
  • Options
    isam said:

Am I the only one on here here neither went to boarding school, nor is on an opinion pollster's speed dial?

No.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

I don’t worry about it really, day to day life I love it. Just when I think of how old I will be when they leave school, or that I will be the oldest Dad at Sports Day etc, (I was 44 and 46 when they were born) I hope they aren't embarrassed. If I am feeling inclined to be downbeat, I get angry with myself for not having started earlier as it means I will have less time with them. But if you had said to me when I was 43 with no girlfriend that at 46 I'd be a father of two I would have bit your hand off
    My eldest was born when I was 31 and my youngest when I was 40. With hindsight I wish I had been younger for all of them to have that extra energy! I know people are having children later these days but if I were to give one piece of advice to my own children it would be to try and have your children between the ages of 25 and 30.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MrEd said:

I am, thank you.
    In Summer, the Trout at Godstow is a nice venue.
    The Trout is good, post lockdown.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Ker-ching!!
    I have worked in betting almost my entire working life, and whenever someone talks of a bet they have had, the first thing anyone does is to ask which bookie they had it with - Never had someone refused to say until this episode, which is just incredibly bizarre.

OGH himself refused to believe me when I said I had backed UKIP to win Thurrock at the 2015 GE, £100 at 16/1 or something) and I had to post the betting slip on here to prove it. I didn't notice anyone sticking up for me then
  • Options
    LOBBY: 'Does the Prime Minister believe there is an unelected and unaccountable "Blob" at the heart of the British establishment that blocks and briefs against any centre right figure looking for a public appointment...'

PMOS: "...I haven't spoken to him today."

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1462813995627331590
  • Options
    44.9K cases. Up about 5K on last week.

Hospitalisations still coming down and deaths also but only slightly.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,315
    edited November 2021
    MrEd said:

I thought the current theory was he was making his getaway from another crime. I dare say things will be clearer soon (bearing in mind the time difference).

ETA scooped!
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

My eldest was born when I was 31 and my youngest when I was 40. With hindsight I wish I had been younger for all of them to have that extra energy! I know people are having children later these days but if I were to give one piece of advice to my own children it would be to try and have your children between the ages of 25 and 30.
    Yes, I agree. I would have done, but no one would have me!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Sunak is of course based in Downing Street.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Fpt

Wear it as a badge of honour. Nothing to be ashamed of. If anything you have the added incentive of trying to be healthy and fit whereas if your kids were older you might have turned into a slob (not saying parents who have their kids young are unfit couch potatoes but hopefully you get my drift). I am also a father who had a child in my forties. Not by design but simply the last throw of the IVF dice - we were lucky! Quite simply the best thing that has happened to me - even when I pick him from nursery, I get chills of excitement (like about now!). Best. Thing. Ever!!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

LOBBY: 'Does the Prime Minister believe there is an unelected and unaccountable "Blob" at the heart of the British establishment that blocks and briefs against any centre right figure looking for a public appointment...'

PMOS: "...I haven't spoken to him today."

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1462813995627331590

Remember when the plan was to do these briefings in public?

It would have been such fun...
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

44.9K cases. Up about 5K on last week.

Hospitalisations still coming down and deaths also but only slightly.

Digging in a bit the PCR positive number is basically static WoW now, the growth is all in LFTs which may be a function of more testing or an increase in kids testing positive at schools. Either way I'm quite pleased that the PCR rate has stabilised already, it should begin falling soon.
This discussion has been closed.